PDA

View Full Version : Big West - 2008 news

gouci
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Started to talk about news relating to the Big West Conference. :bounce:

gouci
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM
"I would never write off your south OC team... still have a vacant spot."

Probably shouldn't expect much from them this year. You yourself pointed out their poor ITA Summer Event results.

"...recruited two of your 5-star US kids so I believe you would say you've filled two of those big 3 that graduated?"

Both Stephanie Hammel & Courtney Byron may be rated 5 stars but as freshmen they won't be replacing the Nos. 1 & 2 singles spots. Even if UCI remained the same as last year they've already lost both times last year to this Long Beach State team that returns 5 of 6 starters.

gouci
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
"CSUN improved finally (they get 4 'no GPA questions asked int'l kids and just got huge funding bump from President decreed student fee)..."

CSUN only graduated 2 seniors from last year. Are you saying that since they have 4 international spots, 2 more players from last year won't be returning?

"If those int'l girls are quality, then they are in the mix but hard to tell based on ITF results."

Those 2 international players have had high combined ITF rankings. Vertesheva ranking high of # 104 and Sirojiddinova high of # 125. So if not strong singles then they must be very good in doubles.

gouci
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
"Wondered how long it would take you to spot Cal Poly's huge transfer from Northwestern."

1. When did the transfer occur? So I can determine how long it took me to spot it. :lol:

2. I thought Cal Poly already had 8 players on schollie. In order to make room for this transfer 1 player may have left the team. My guess would be Melissa Bradford.

form
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
UCI's strength has long been depth. May not win at # 1 but takes lots of mid and low level points. You'll be fine and dangerous as always. You're 7 or 8 deep to make line up someplace.

form
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Have always had 3-4 int'l schols available... just have not used them well.

These girls may be great. But can't figure out how they got those awesome rankings when they have no singles and no doubles ranking. Look at Grady and others that have had such 'huge' ITF rankings... they also had singles and doubles ITF rankings so it made some sense.

Can't figure these girls out... maybe great, maybe? Or maybe big rankings for simply playing a ton of local tournies in Asia.

form
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Just funning.... her named popped up on the Riviera draw. Must have transferred with encouragement from the other Seattle area girl on the team.

No idea who they lost/pulled/quit... your guess is same as mine but who knows.

CP will be really strong this year...

gouci
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Must have transferred with encouragement from the other Seattle area girl on the team.

CP will be really strong this year...
1. Didn't that Seattle area girl also have a high interest in Long Beach State? What if you signed her instead of Haegele, Matzenauer could of transfered to LB. ;)

2. Unusual for someone to transfer out of Northwestern. Top notch academic school, ranked as high as #1 nationally last year and reached the NCAA quarter-finals.

3. Looking at Suzanne Matzenauer's record last year, she was 37-9 and played #6, I can actually see her playing #1 at Cal Poly by the end of the year.

4. I've got to give the Cal Poly coach credit. His team lost in the 1st round of the Big West tourney last year and he's done something big about it. :hatoff:

form
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM
1. Sign someone playing 7 to hope for a future transfer? Sadly the other girl you referenced signed LOI in 11/06 and then barely trained 2 days a week (unknown to LBSU) for 8 months. Fessed up upon arrival.

Actually, LB had originally offered the girl that is transferrring... before she went to NW. Real talent.

2. Yes, unusual but not everybody fits. You and I have long disagreed on your criticism of coaches with players that leave. Some because they are unhappy; some because they make everybody else unhappy; some because they are at the wrong program level of skill. I know LB has had happy transfers come in from elsewhere... and others happy to go to a different level of intensity. Didn't a really big time player in 00 for UCI leave for USC?

3. Will CP coach bump his long time # 1 or leave her there and allow the transfer to play # 2 (smart political move and possibly gain small competitive edge)? Don't over estimate records at # 6... it's a BIG jump to # 1 even from a NW.... Big 10 not as good as BW after NW, Michigan and maybe Ohio St. Honestly, Michigan should only be a 30-40 but gets overranked early by coaches poll before computer kicks in and then hangs on.

4. Well, whether smart or fell in his lap, certainly a big move. Should be feeling pretty good on Sep. 8.

gouci
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
UCI gets verbal from Kristina Smith for 2009-2010.

Tennis article (http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/player-year-players-2150633-dana-wilson)

Looks like a good signing.

1. From defending CIF Division 1 team champs Dana Hills HS.
2. Defending CIF Individual Doubles champion.
3. tr.net ranking of #62 and rising.
4. Keeps a top OC player inside the county. Building up OC recruiting base.
5. May help sign HS doubles partner Brynn Boren.
6. Planning for the future. May help sign younger sister blue chip Joanna Smith.

It's looking more like UCI will carry that open slot this year into next year and sign 4 from a deep 2009-2010 CA recruiting class.

form
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Seems a smart play... but I'd still bet on the vacant 2008-9 scholie getting filled.

When you look at the list of So Cal girls interested in BW schools in 2010... seems the UC's have a lock on kids no matter the talent ... though SLO is a nice area too. Sort of amazing given LBSU is the 3rd most applied to uni in the country (77K aps; only behind UCLA and Cal).

5* Haley Dixon CA UC Irvine
5* Kathryn Webb CA Cal Poly, UC Irvine
4* Morgan Basil FL UC Santa Barbara
4* Megan Heneghan CA UC Santa Barbara
4* Nicole Koehly CA UC Davis
4* Mara Schmidt FL UC Irvine
3* Alexis Filliol WA UC Santa Barbara
3* Morgan Mcintosh CA Cal Poly, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara
3* Jazmin Ortiz CA UC Santa Barbara
3* Haley Perrotte CA UC Santa Barbara
3* Sayo Tsukamoto HI UC Irvine
2* Arianne Goddard TX UC Santa Barbara
2* Mattison Sperry CO Cal State Fullerton, UC Davis
1* Brittan Sutphin CO Cal Poly, UC Santa Barbara
0* Alexa Simpson CA UC Santa Barbara

Maybe tough to criticize schools that look elsewhere when locals will go to lesser programs or out of town... just not 'gucci' to do a local CSU?

Anyway, your Eaters will be just fine as always...

future years, funny how nearly every one of them wants "UC" something... regardless of ability or the ranking/success of the school.

Seems to be about 'prestige' of uni name rather than tennis or even the school itself (depending on your major).

If not the Pac, then a UC .. if interested in staying in So Cal

gouci
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm sure most high school tennis players don't follow or know much about college tennis. The recruiting period is the chance to educate them and win them over.

Speaking of recruiting you must have that "Recruiting Advantage" membership at tr.net that lets you view a list of players interested in the Big West. :worship:

I hope Cal State Fullerton is not trying to actively recruit that 2 star player. :haha:

form
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Your pretty good with the smiley's

In order to recruit em, they gotta be willing to return calls and contacts... just a thought. In So Cal, my experience is that many do not find it remotely interesting to consider a CSU no matter how popular. Doesn't play well with the friends at their tennis clubs and high schools. Not cool I guess.

So, good coaches go looking elsewhere if their budgets will permit it.

CSF is 1/2 funded... they got no shot. Like bringing a beebie gun to Camp Pendleton. No shot.

form
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Your pretty good with the smiley's

In order to recruit em, they gotta be willing to return calls and contacts... just a thought. In So Cal, my experience is that many LA basin kids do not find it remotely interesting to consider a CSU. Doesn't play well with the friends at their tennis clubs and high schools. Not cool I guess.

CSF is 1/2 funded... they got no shot. Like bringing a beebie gun to Camp Pendleton. No shot.

gouci
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Not cool I guess.

Are you saying foreign players are not cool? :lol: . . . Just kidding.

5* Kathryn Webb CA Cal Poly, UC Irvine

Why don't you ask Rachel Manasse to tell her former doubles partner Kathryn Webb to list Long Beach State as a school of interest to show the 49ers some love as a favor to Manasse. :hug:

form
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:34 AM
ha ha

You have often posted about doubles partners (kids have many) that would thus make them possible recruits for a school. Yet, that info you can't see on tr.net would indicate otherwise. How do we know if Ms. Webb has been contacted or not? You often seem to assume a lot... Maybe Ms. Webb is listing UCI as a pitty listing for some other friend? (insert a variety of smilies here)... ha ha ha

Yes, I would say that for the last seven years plus, evidence incidates that foreign players were cooler. :-)

gouci
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:53 AM
1. Sign someone playing 7 to hope for a future transfer? Sadly the other girl you referenced signed LOI in 11/06 and then barely trained 2 days a week (unknown to LBSU) for 8 months. Fessed up upon arrival.

Actually, LB had originally offered the girl that is transferrring... before she went to NW. Real talent.

2. Yes, unusual but not everybody fits. You and I have long disagreed on your criticism of coaches with players that leave. Some because they are unhappy; some because they make everybody else unhappy; some because they are at the wrong program level of skill. I know LB has had happy transfers come in from elsewhere... and others happy to go to a different level of intensity. Didn't a really big time player in 00 for UCI leave for USC?

3. Will CP coach bump his long time # 1 or leave her there and allow the transfer to play # 2 (smart political move and possibly gain small competitive edge)? Don't over estimate records at # 6... it's a BIG jump to # 1 even from a NW.... Big 10 not as good as BW after NW, Michigan and maybe Ohio St. Honestly, Michigan should only be a 30-40 but gets overranked early by coaches poll before computer kicks in and then hangs on.

4. Well, whether smart or fell in his lap, certainly a big move. Should be feeling pretty good on Sep. 8.

1.) Markhoff was 5-10, Long Beach just wanted to go the extra inch with 5-11 Hagele. :lol:
I was just half joking about Markhoff. But in retrospect she did beat Hagele at the Cal State Fullerton tourney last October and played #5 for Cal Poly towards the end of the year including against Long Beach. Markhoff played doubles for Cal Poly the entire year including a win over Long Beach. In hindsight I'm sure Markhoff would have contributed to Long Beach at least in doubles if not singles.

2.) Yes we may disagree about transfers lets just leave it at that. UCI had a player transfer to USC. But its understandable wanting to transfer up to a top 10 team. It's puzzling transferring from the #2 ranked tennis school at the end of last year to an unranked school for someone that had playing time.

3.) That's why I added "by the end of the year." Blalock can take the losses against the ranked OOC opponents :smash: and then come league play switch to Matzenauer at No. 1.

I think you shouldn't say the Big West is better than the Big Ten just from memory. You should have looked at the rankings because the Big 10 is the most improved conference.

Year end rankings:
2. Northwestern
19. Michigan
30. Indiana
33. Ohio State
37. Illinois
52. Iowa
62. Michigan State
63. Minnesota
68. Wisconsin

I know Long Beach beat Purdue :drool: ...but they are like the UC Riverside of the Big 10.

Better leave the conference rankings up to me. :hehehe:

4.) In my book the coach gets credit for all the good things while he's in charge because we both know that everyone will blame the coach for all the bad things that happen.:lol:

gouci
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM
ha ha
Maybe Ms. Webb is listing UCI as a pitty listing for some other friend? (insert a variety of smilies here)... ha ha ha
Well Webb is from Palos Verdes Peninsula. She could have tennis friends at UCI. Former walk-on Katie Barth was from Peninsula HS. Current freshmen on the men's team Tyler Bowman and Jonathan Kazarian are from Peninsula HS. If Webb wants to give UCI free advertising I'll take it. :bigclap:

form
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Ok, ok, I give

My only point was that IMHO the Big 10 is over ranked. The ITA ranking system has an inherit flaw...it starts based on a coaches poll that each year has some over ranked teams (based on in breed polling of those 8 voting coaches). As that is the baseline, if you play the right combo of matches were you got about .500 than you will stay ranked. Again, just my opinion but the Big 10 results outside the conference (other than NW who obviously is strong) are mixed yet they are almost all ranked.

I'd have like to see the top 4 BW teams play more of the Big10 and see where it would have finished. But geography and scheduling....

Doesn't really matter in the end though... even if you make it as an at large out west you are gifte the privilege of going your local California Pac 10 school (or Fresno currently; ick). So our west coast teams never get to break out and see new people to shake the formula up.

Anyway, you can rank the teams. I'll rank you. he he he he

gouci
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I'd have like to see the top 4 BW teams play more of the Big10 and see where it would have finished.

CSUN which finished #3 in the Big West lost to Minnesota which was the 8th lowest ranked team in the Big 10. :unsure:

form
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Lost three setters at # 2 and # 3... but eeked out a 3 setter at # 6... so maybe we call it even? That would have put them what, # 64 (right behind Minny)

MHO...CSUN was 5th best team last year... fluke lucky to the draw... by end of year they could not beat top 4... so that would move UCI up and add in CP and UCSB.. theoretically of course ;-0

LB
UCI
CP
UCSB
CSUN (fortunate when LB, CP and SB all in same 1/2)
Davis (lost 4-2 to CSUN in tourney; surprised me)
the rest

Hey, you think all those LB chatters are happy this string crossed over? ha ha ha ha

gouci
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
How can you place CP and UCSB above CSUN, when the matadors defeated CP and UCSB on the court? :confused:

Remember, CSUN's blue chip transfer from Virginia Tech and probable #1 didn't end up playing. Otherwise CSUN might have had a chance to win the Big West.

form
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yep, tough to figure those CP and SB matches cause they were tons better by April... those two matches probably major reasons LB and UCI slid so badly at end of season polling... really jumbled the conference power rating.

The VT transfer had quit mid season the year before the tragedy at VT even .. and walked on at CSUN before quitting.. was never gonna play so you can't really use that... ask the VT coach

But it's old news anyway

gouci
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Committee has a point system and they match off anybody that is ranked from same conference
Pts for being higher ranked, head to head, common opponents, wins versus in... but you get a bonus point if you are certain ranking point difference apart.
When the computer spun last year, somehow at that moment the CP pair was a big enough differential ahead so they got a bonus point. If it has been like .1 less spread than the LB pair would have made NCAA's based on 2-0 head to head record.
The other thing that changed was CP had a win over ranked Denver doubles pair; LB then matched that win in regionals but only after the invites had been sent out.

So Widjaja gonna needja to beatja everybody all season cause her power rating gonna suckja with UOP schedule... Uzma Khan with UCSB went 24-1 or something one year and did not get in because UCSB had poor schedule (lots of D3 that year)
If Widjaja doesn't play until 2009 then she will miss the Cal Invitational, St. Mary's Invitational, Riviera and ITA regionals. All tournaments with opportunities to play ranked opponents. I disagree with you and think you're wrong about her potential power rating. She will get to play alot of good opponents because Pacific plays a good OOC schedule. If she beats 5 ranked opponents that may be enough to get her ranked ahead of Grady.

Looking at Pacific's schedule here is where Widjaja might play ranked opponents.

1/23/09 UNLV Invitational
2/14/09 vs St. Mary's - 112 Jessica Hoath
2/15/09 vs San Francisco - 62 Jenni Heinser
2/20/09 at Tulsa - 82 Alexandra Kichoutkin
2/22/09 vs Oklahoma State - maybe
3/06/09 at UC Davis - Randy Schuler, maybe
3/15/09 at Cal State Northride - foreign player maybe
3/22/09 vs Boise St. - Pichittra Thongdach, maybe
4/03/09 vs Long Beach State - 64 Hannah Grady
4/04/09 vs Cal Poly - Brittany Blalock, maybe
4/11/09 vs Sacramento State - 21 Katrina Zheltova

gouci
Sep 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Just saw the latest Orange County girls tennis top 10 poll. Noticed UC Irvine has had recruits from each one of the top 4 high schools. Now that's how to establish an Orange County pipeline! :banana:

1. Dana Hills - Kristina Smith
2. Corona del Mar - Hayley & Miranda Young
3. Troy - Claire Fermin
4. Valencia - Stephanie Hammel

Does anyone know if CIF Southern Section has a poll out yet for girls tennis?

form
Sep 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Impressive pipeline. Given all the girls from So Cal, I would assume the CIF is the hot bed in the US. Do they do polls for tennis?

A little deeper look at your OC pipeline from past couple years:

McCall Jones... home school .. BYU
Alex Walters...home school. UCLA
Stephanie Hammel ... Valencia HS .. UCI
Julie Luzar ... El Dorado HS .. LBSU :worship:
Roxanne Ellison... Tesoro HS .. SD State
Yuka Kondo ... San Joaquin HS.. Chaminade

Michela Hein .. San Joaquin HS ... ASU
Lyndsay Kinster .. Laguna Beach HS .. USC
Molly Scott .. Rancho Santa Margarita... Dartmouth
Jill Damion .. Corona Del Mar HS .. UCSB
Brittany Rosen... Laguna Hills HS .. UCLA
Brooke Bartlett .. Fountain Vally HS .. UCI
Christina Tan .. Dana Hills HS .. Syracuse
Bianca Aboubakare... MorningStar Academy... Brown

Cosmina Ciobanu .. Troy HS.. NDame
Jillian Braverman... Coronal Del Mar HS .. Pepperdine
Claire Reitsch ... Laguna Beach HS .. SMU/Arizona

Clarissa Fermin ... Troy HS .. UCI

Lindsey Nelson .. Villay Park HS .. USC
Elizabeth Ferris .. Canyon HS .. Utah
Macall Harkins .. Corona Del Mar .. Illinois/SMU
Gia Nafarrete... Los Alamitos HS.. Boston College
Vanessa Dunlap... Newport Harbor HS .. Pepperdine
Scarlett Alfonzo... Chino Hills? ... Air Force
Maria Malec... Rancho Santa Margarita ... Cal Poly

Good to see so many stay close to home.

Just saw the latest Orange County girls tennis top 10 poll. Noticed UC Irvine has had recruits from each one of the top 4 high schools. Now that's how to establish an Orange County pipeline! :banana:

1. Dana Hills - Kristina Smith
2. Corona del Mar - Hayley & Miranda Young
3. Troy - Claire Fermin
4. Valencia - Stephanie Hammel

Does anyone know if CIF Southern Section has a poll out yet for girls tennis?

form
Sep 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Gouci

Looks like your team is about to score a big one. Catherine Isip. She had long listed USC only but has now taken that down and listed the Eaters.

That will change things a tad in 2010.

gouci
Sep 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM
:spit: . Form thanks for the update! I won't believe it until Isip is actually playing for UCI in the ITA regionals next year. When I looked, Isip also had a high interest in Pepperdine which makes them the heavy favorites to sign her. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams like St. Mary's also get listed into the mix later.

On another note, some good news for UCI. Fermin and Kwan have been bumped up into the prequalifying doubles draw at the Riviera.

gouci
Sep 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Speaking of USC and UCI...USC's schedule has them playing Cal State Fullerton at 9:00 A.M. on 1/21/09 and UC Irvine at 1:30 P.M. in the afternoon of the same day.

Maybe UCI can get a point against USC this year after Fullerton either causes them to laugh :haha: or better yet takes USC out of their game by putting them to sleep :yawn:

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Guys know that the best time to ask a girl out is right after she has just been dumped. Then she is open to going out with all takers.

Speaking of which did you see all the new interests Arianna Colffer has listed? She listed all the Big West schools in SoCal except for Long Beach State. Could it be the Long Beach State coach is female while all the Big West schools she listed have male coaches that know she was just rejected by USC and its the best time to take a shot at her. :haha:

Wow UC Riverside and EVEN Cal State Fullerton gets her consideration but not defending champ Long Beach State? :tape:

Both Catherine Isip and Arianna Colffer have listed interests in both Pepperdine and UC Irvine. Since Pepperdine may only have 1 scholarship open for 2009-2010 that puts UCI in a good position to possibly sign 1 of the 2. :yippee:

form
Sep 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I say your Eaters are in a good spot.:worship:

Since USC committed their last scholie to an out of state girl, seems everyone has broken toward Pepperdine and UC Irvine.

As a LB fan, it would be wonderful if these top girls wanted to come but I have no idea why the would not if also considering those other CSU's? Maybe you are right? :confused:

I heard someone recently say Pepperdine may have as many as four open scholarships for 2009-10 right now... and that four top remaining California girls are headed on visits in the next two weeks. Over heard that at a junior tournament so I do not know if that is correct or not?

Did you notice USD has gone 99% foreign now too? Brought in a talented French girl plus a Croatian (funky ranking again; high combined but low singles and doubles?) and an under-rated Peruvian girl (actually from Chula Vista). On the other extreme, they also have the most 'stay at home' schedule I have ever seen. But they will be considerably better with this new infusion.

Silly season is always fun.... unless you are a mid-major coach I would guess? :help:

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Pepperdine's roster this year

1. Anamika Bhargava - So.
2. Jill Braverman - Jr.
3. Alex Liles - Sr.
4. Tania Rice - Jr.
5. Anete Bandere??? - So.

2008-2009
1. TBD
2. TBD
3. TBD

2009-2010

By my calculation they have 3-4 for this season and 1 for next season.

USD still has American Carla Tamborini! They signed Maja Sujica, Juliette Coupez & Maria Raygada who I thought might go to UCR.

form
Sep 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I said 99% (ok, will play 99% of the matches)

Tennisace
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Pepperdine's roster this year

1. Anamika Bhargava - So.
2. Jill Braverman - Jr.
3. Alex Liles - Sr.
4. Tania Rice - Jr.
5. Anete Bandere??? - So.

2008-2009
1. TBD
2. TBD
3. TBD

2009-2010

By my calculation they have 3-4 for this season and 1 for next season.

USD still has American Carla Tamborini! They signed Maja Sujica, Juliette Coupez & Maria Raygada who I thought might go to UCR.

I just looked at Pepperdine's roster and only these players appear:

1. Jill Braverman - Jr.
2. Alex Liles - Sr.
3. Tania Rice - Jr.
4. Marigrace Marshall - Jr.

Did they not recruit anyone this past year?

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I said 99% (ok, will play 99% of the matches)Why wouldn't Tamborini make the USD top 6 this year? She played in 15 matches last year mostly at #3. She was good enough to beat Jessica Weeks when USD played against Long Beach State.

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I just looked at Pepperdine's roster and only these players appear:

1. Jill Braverman - Jr.
2. Alex Liles - Sr.
3. Tania Rice - Jr.
4. Marigrace Marshall - Jr.

Did they not recruit anyone this past year?Marigrace Marshall is a walk-on. Bhargava I'm assuming is still with Pepperdine because she is still entered in the Riviera tourney.

I'm sure they recruited 3 foreign players but their roster is just not updated. We can see the rest of their team when they play in the San Diego State Invitational 10 days from now.

form
Sep 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
And the rest of the year?

gouci
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM
The rest of the year because of USD injuries she played out of position at #3 and had mostly losses. But because of her experience, she's a senior, I think Tamborini will play 5 or 6 singles ahead of the freshmen Coupez and Raygada.

form
Sep 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
ok, if you say so

gouci
Sep 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Brought in a talented French girl plus a Croatian (funky ranking again; high combined but low singles and doubles?)Did you know that the combined ranking is a new system that takes into account both singles and doubles results?
If a singles or doubles high is shown that is an old ranking from the old system.

I took a look and saw why you were puzzled. The singles and doubles low rankings were from 2003. The Croation was only 14 years old then and probably playing against 17 year olds. That's why her rankings were low. Better leave making sense of the rankings to me. :lol:

P.S. Maybe looking up Tamborini's ITF ranking will change your opinion of her?

form
Sep 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Couldn't cut it at UOP (the Harvard of the West ... her mom's words)... literally

Transferred to USD... odd circumstances in LB win (which was the last match playing when it rolled back the other way at the end)... so I'll leave it at that.

You can fill in the rest of the blanks

As usual we will disagree

And on those new rankings, we'll disagree there too. But time will tell won't it?

That's why they play the matches...

Overall, it's CP's year in the Big West unless that 8th scholie at UCI is filled. With a total of five teams battling so somebody decent loses day one at Indian Wells. MHO

Next year, looks like your Eaterrs are the team to beat if the recruits come through.

gouci
Sep 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Overall, it's CP's year in the Big West unless that 8th scholie at UCI is filled. With a total of five teams battling so somebody decent loses day one at Indian Wells. MHO

Next year, looks like your Eaterrs are the team to beat if the recruits come through.Wow you've already made your predictions for this year and NEXT YEAR as well!
I'm going to hold off making my predictions for later. UCI, LBS & UCD each have a 'ship to fill that could potentially bump them up in the standings. Plus I want to see some fall tournament results from all those new players that are essentially unknown commodities right now.

As of TODAY and on paper, I will agree with you that Cal Poly is the early favorite to win the Big West. But I have my doubts about them. If they were good enough to beat Washington State they partially sank LB & UCI's rankings by losing to Oregon and Utah! :fiery: Plus even if Cal Poly goes undefeated in the regular season I'll still remember last year when they beat UCSB 7-0 just to turn around and lose to them in the 1st round of the Big West tourney.

Too many times in big matches Steffi Wong has won the 1st set only to lose in 3 sets. :scared: This happened against Oregon, Denver & UCSB at the BWT among others. She can be inconsistent playing the big matches. Maybe moving down to #3 will help her choke less often and make Cal Poly that much better.

form
Sep 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Yikes, you are getting harsh. :fiery:

I have some thoughts on your three set comments but I am sworn to secrecy as to why that happens. :smash:

Suppose the LB board is just a tad happy this dialog goes on here now? :nerner:

Many questions:
- UCI open scholie?
- UCD open scholie?
- LB open scholie?
- CSUN two new intl's... non traditional locales so how good? Could go either way
- UCSB two new intl's... non traditional locales so how good? Could go either way
- Will anybody beat the WTA Touring Pro who has no business in NCAA? :explode:

FedAce
Sep 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Who are the hottest girls in big WEST ?? preferably hot blondes.....

RobertCB
Sep 26th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Who says that the LB board's posters do not mis BW tennis talk. All you two did was make me have to visit another board :(.

gouci
Sep 26th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Who are the hottest girls in big WEST ?? preferably hot blondes.....
IMHO the answer is easily her.:hearts:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucir/sports/w-volley/auto_headshot/2217358.jpeg

I'll even show you one that was from a non-conference opponent of the Big West.
http://collegetennisonline.com/Upload/ByrneTara2.jpg

So as to not create a stalker you're not getting their names from me.:tape:
Boy that question was just random out of nowhere. :lol:

gouci
Sep 29th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Some breaking news! :bounce:

UC Irvine gets a verbal from a 5 star player.

Cal Poly also gets a verbal from a 5 star player.

UC Davis gets a verbal from a 4 star player.

The star ratings for Kristina Smith, Alexa Lee & Eleanor Edles have all been upgraded as tr.net assigns their yearly ratings in October. The good news for Smith & Lee is that these are the final ratings for them and they will forever be rated 5 star recruits.

The bad news for Cal State Fullerton is that Melanie Abella who they have made an offer to remains as a 2 star player. Fullerton also has competition from Concordia-Irvine for her services. :lol:

FedAce
Oct 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucir/sports/w-volley/auto_headshot/2217358.jpeg

PLEASE, can i have her email adress or which school she goes to ? preferably the Blonde one. though the brunette isn't bad either. I am hoping to be having dinner with either of these girls by tomorrow night..:);)

FedAce
Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
^^^ IS the blonde from UC santabarbara or santa clara ??

gouci
Oct 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I found out UCI will be welcoming a previously nationally ranked player to the team this year.

More info, on this news that has me excited, to be released later.:nerner:

tucker1989
Oct 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
gouci, please tell which school that amazing blonde is from

gouci
Oct 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Next year's Rachel Manasse, or most improved recruit from Summer 2008 to Fall 2009, may be Eleanor Edles. She recently took Pamela Montez to 3 sets and defeated 5 star Cal Poly recruit Alexa Lee. Getting a commitment from Edles early may have been a steal for UC Davis as her stock continues to rise. She's looking to break into the top 100 soon.

FedAce
Oct 9th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Next year's Rachel Manasse, or most improved recruit from Summer 2008 to Fall 2009, may be Eleanor Edles. She recently took Pamela Montez to 3 sets and defeated 5 star Cal Poly recruit Alexa Lee. Getting a commitment from Edles early may have been a steal for UC Davis as her stock continues to rise. She's looking to break into the top 100 soon.

That is it, i am enrolling in UC Davis next semester.. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

FedAce
Oct 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM

You Lied. that blonde is nowhere in the UC davis women's team site. what is her name ? and what school:confused:

gouci
Oct 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hey FedAce, like I said you're not getting their names from me. :tape:

I have something to tell you by private message! :mad:

FedAce
Oct 12th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Hey FedAce, like I said you're not getting their names from me. :tape:

I have something to tell you by private message! :mad:

Oh Cmon, just their email adresses....i think i am going to marry that blonde one.:bounce:

gouci
Oct 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
5 star Kristina Smith's (UCI verbal) Dana Point - Dana Hills High School team won the prestigious girls tennis 2008 High School All American tournament this weekend. They beat a tough La Quinta - La Quinta HS (not to be confused with Westminster La Quinta HS) 6-2 in the finals. That La Quinta team featured blue chip Pamela Montez, 5 star Alexa Lee (Cal Poly verbal) and 4 star Jaclyn West.

Pamela Montez won tournament MVP while Kristina Smith made it to the All Tournament team.

Order of finish

1. Dana Point - Dana Hills (2007 CIF Southern Section Div. 1 champs)
2. La Quinta - La Quinta
3. Indio - Palm Desert
4. Palos Verdes Estates - Palos Verdes
5. San Diego - Torrey Pines (2007 CIF San Diego Section Champs)
6. San Diego - Cathedral Catholic
7. Newport Beach - Corona del Mar (2007 CIF SS Div. 1 finalists)
8. Beverly Hills - Beverly Hills (2007 CIF SS Div. 2 finalists)
9. Fullerton - Troy (2007 HS All American Tourney champs)
10. Placentia - Valencia (2007 CIF SS Div. 4 Champs)
11. Carson - CAMS
12. Rolling Hills Estates - Peninsula
13. Laguna Beach - Laguna Beach
14. Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara
15. Irvine - University
16. Atherton - Menlo

Top players on the teams

1. Dana Hills - Kristina Smith (verbal UCI), Brynn Boren, Joanna Smith, Victoria Wing
2. La Quinta - Pamela Montez, Alexa Lee (verbal Cal Poly), Jaclyn West
3. Palm Desert - Desirae Krawczyk, Morgan McIntosh, Kristin Eggleston, Jordan Eggleston, Nikki Suarez
4. Palos Verdes - Kathryn Webb, Brooke Schweyer
5. Torrey Pines - Karen Forman, Tory Parravi, Mimi Hamling
6. Cathedral Catholic - Gabi DeSimone, Danielle Flores, Lucy LaCosta
7. Corona del Mar - Melissa Matsuoka, Katelyn Nguyen
8. Beverly Hills - Marie Zalameda, Brittney Morgan, Zarina Pisnoy
9. Troy - Frances Tseng, Stephanie Villajuan (verbal Louisville), Allison Radde
10. Valencia - Sarah Blair
11. CAMS - Tiana Takenaga
12. Palos Verdes - Jenna Glimp, Hana Chang
13. Laguna Beach - Alex Tachovsky
14. Santa Barbara - Rachel Decker Sadowski
15. University - Kyra Scott, Ali Dawson, Kendall Heitzner
16. Menlo - Emily Shine, Anjali Ranadive, Eliza Adams, Natalie Williford

gouci
Oct 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
1. The former Whitney Peterson is now Whitney Eves. She was married this summer to USC graduate Matthew Eves of Fallbrook.

2. The most updated Cal Poly roster is on collegetennisonline that had the Whitney Eves name change. Melissa Bradford and walk-on Brooke Pletcher is no longer on this updated roster and Cal Poly is now down to 9 players.

FedAce
Oct 16th, 2008, 02:53 AM

She will be mine soon...:devil:

FedAce
Oct 17th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hey,,,,is that hot blonde going to win a match at the ITA northwest Regionals...?????????????

gouci
Oct 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
It's nice to see Big West Schools are getting consideration from blue chip recruits. This reflects how the quality of the conference has risen.

Blue chipper - BW school considered

Thien-Trang Nguyen - UC Irvine

Arianna Colffer - Cal St. Northridge, Cal St. Fullerton, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara

Zoe De Bruycker - UC Davis

Catherine Isip - UC Irvine

form
Oct 18th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Underhandsmash...you bored? But congrats on figuring out how to see the upper membership level of recruiting notes...

Blue chipper - BW school considered...
Thien-Trang Nguyen - Already committed to Michiganbut AFTER she verballed, she then listed UCI, Notre Dame and Pepp... AFTER :scratch:

Arianna Colffer - UCLA or Pepp... the rest are listed as medium choices... but Cal St. Northridge, Cal St. Fullerton, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara :confused:

Zoe De Bruycker - No longer has any schools listed... took them all down including UC Davis :bounce:

Catherine Isip - Pepp or UC Irvine high... would be tremendous coup.... with her pedigree she could go ANYWHERE... not sure why so limited but big op for your ZOTS. :worship:

gouci
Oct 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
1. Form using BeachBacker's made-up term "underhandsmash" makes you sound silly. A smash is when you have the racket above your head.
There's no such thing as an "underhandsmash." :haha: It's either an underhand serve or an overhead smash.

2. Nice to see a few of my speculations months ago on who UCI would have a shot at like Thien-Trang Nguyen and Catherine Isip have come to fruition. :worship:

3. There could be a few explanations why Zoe De Bruycker took her interests down.
- About to add new schools of interest.
- De Bruycker has given a verbal but the coach doesn't want it to be known yet.
- Tr.net wants to unveil her decision corresponding with a full article.

4. Catherine Isip's choices seem to indicate she wants to be able to play in front of family and friends.

5. Last year at the early signing period UCI signed the 7th ranked player in California. This year after CoCo Vandeweghe, Julia Boserup, Pamela Montez, Stacey Tan, Tanya Raykova, and Danielle Lao, Isip is the 7th highest rated player in California. UCI may have a chance to own the same 7th in California slot they did last year except last year CA had 6 blue chip seniors and this year CA has 11 classified blue chips.

gouci
Oct 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Form here is a nugget of info for you to figure out.:woohoo:
Think of it as an early Christmas present.

Believe it or not Catherine Isip is not even the highest rated player UCI has a chance to sign for 2009-2010. :eek:
UCI also has a shot at a player with a higher ITF ranking.

Hint #1 - Think sister of a player on the UCI men's team.
Hint #2 - Not talking about Aeriel Ellis, sister of former UCI men's tennis player Aaron Ellis.

FedAce
Oct 20th, 2008, 03:22 AM
^^It is that hot blonde in the previous page, isn't it ?

form
Oct 20th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Yes, Issara at # 94 in ITF Jr's would actually give Ms. Widjaja someone to face for a few years. Perhaps her and the rest of the Eater depth can challenge Cal Poly in 2010?

Of course, with that ranking and living in PV now, wouldn't she be fielding inquires from Top 20 schools from all over the county? I mean, bro was in 700's, not the double digits.

Best of luck though... she must be spending a lot of time in class given she was in China this month?

gouci
Oct 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Of course, with that ranking and living in PV now, wouldn't she be fielding inquires from Top 20 schools from all over the county? I mean, bro was in 700's, not the double digits.

Best of luck though... she must be spending a lot of time in class given she was in China this month?

Actually Khunpol Issara, nicknamed the "Thai Express," had an ITF ranking of 189 in April 2007 when he signed a LOI with UCI.
The women's team is in a rebuilding mode this year... so the excitement is with the men's team which added an international freshman ITF high in the top 175, a 5 star transfer from Arizona St., a 5 star freshman and a blue chip freshman. The young UCI men have the potential to crack the top 35 this year and they're only going to get better in the future.

Also Khunpak Issara was in China LAST month, she was in Japan THIS month. ;)

form
Oct 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Men's recruiting is massively different. Equivalency sports vs head count sports. But hey, the way things are going it looks like the next decade will see domination by and a national championship for the Eaters in WT. You sound like you have a better scouting dept than the Tampa Bay Rays.

gouci
Oct 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Men's recruiting is massively different. Equivalency sports vs head count sports. But hey, the way things are going it looks like the next decade will see domination by and a national championship for the Eaters in WT. You sound like you have a better scouting dept than the Tampa Bay Rays.
1. Form let's wait for the UCI women to win a Big West Tournament championship 1st before talking about dominating the next decade.

2. You need 6 blue chip caliber players to even contend for a national championship these days. Currently UCI has 0 blue chip players. So until UCI is hosting its own regional, the 1st step, talk of a national championship is out of the question.

3. I've already said Pepperdine is probably the front-runner to sign Catherine Isip.

4. You pointed out Issara probably has multiple offers. Like with Isip I said UCI just had "a chance" to sign her.

5. As I've said before I won't believe UCI has a recruit until they're playing for UCI in a fall tournament. Even after a recruit makes a commitment, LB experienced this with Dallara, things may change and the recruit doesn't end up coming or even worse the recruit could turn out to be a big bust.

6. So Form, please stop counting UCI's chickens before they're hatched!!! :lol:

gouci
Oct 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
UC Riverside followed by UC Santa Barbara has the worst tennis team websites. So far both sites have not even produced 1 release about the tournaments either teams have played this season and I doubt any releases covering the fall tournament schedule will be made.

I only care because UCR and UCSB will probably not have a release announcing any players they get during the early signing period just 3 weeks away. :fiery:

FedAce
Oct 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM
UC Riverside followed by UC Santa Barbara has the worst tennis team websites. So far both sites have not even produced 1 release about the tournaments either teams have played this season and I doubt any releases covering the fall tournament schedule will be made.

I only care because UCR and UCSB will probably not have a release announcing any players they get during the early signing period just 3 weeks away. :fiery:

UC santabarbara has some real HOT chicks. i am trying to hook up with few of them. I have added them to my facebook and they returned the favor. do you think i have a chance ???:kiss:

form
Oct 28th, 2008, 03:01 AM
UCSB SID has always been about a -1 on a 10 pt schedule... in all sports. Do the minimum, don't answer phones during games when other schools want scores (big sports)... just horrendous.

How UCSB does not dominate the BW given the location, UC education is incredible... but the SID dept is a reflection on the entire place.... they don't care. Easy salary and home early attitude.

FedAce
Oct 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM
UCSB SID has always been about a -1 on a 10 pt schedule... in all sports. Do the minimum, don't answer phones during games when other schools want scores (big sports)... just horrendous.

How UCSB does not dominate the BW given the location, UC education is incredible... but the SID dept is a reflection on the entire place.... they don't care. Easy salary and home early attitude.

Yea,, That is all nice and all but is the hot girls at UCSB easy ???:hearts:

form
Oct 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Hey Gouci

Ur web site doesn't have a single report on the West Regionals either.

Throwing stones from your glass house?

gouci
Oct 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
In the off-season UCI releases tend to come a few days late.

Long Beach State releases tend to have inaccuracies.
Ex. Armstrong def. Rachel Murphy. Should be Michelle Murphy.
Ex. Armstrong-Sutton def. Oki-Regatta. Should be Oki-Plata.

Both UCI and LBS tennis websites have tendencies but I let it slide.

In the regular season during UCI weekend dual matches I see the SID sitting in the stands with his notepad. After the doubles he'll take down the score, go to his office and start entering info. He'll return to finish the singles and take down those scores. Within 15 minutes after the end of the team match he'll have the final scores posted on the website. So I can vouch for the guy.

FedAce
Oct 31st, 2008, 03:16 PM
^^Do you video tape any of these hot chicks in action ?

gouci
Nov 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Sam Querrey to Host Event at Cal Poly

Published Oct 29th,
by Andrew Tomsky

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Cal Poly Tennis Coaches Hugh Bream and Justin McGrath are pleased to welcome professional tennis player and California native Sam Querrey to Cal Poly for a free clinic and exhibition on Saturday, November 8, presented by Tennis Warehouse. The event begins with a free instructional clinic with Querrey from Noon to 1 p.m. followed by an exhibition from 1 to 3 at the Cal Poly Tennis Courts.

Querrey is currently the No. 41 ranked male singles player in the world and has won an ATP event in Las Vegas in 2008. Querrey was a member of the 2008 United States Davis Cup team and took a set on clay off the world’s top-ranked clay tennis player Rafael Nadal. He has also been a semifinalist at two other events this year and reached the fourth round at the 2008 US Open.

Querrey was born in San Francisco and currently resides in Thousand Oaks. At just 21 years of age, Querrey has played with several current Cal Poly male and female tennis players at the junior level. He also went to high school and is close friends with Cal Poly football player Jon Hall.

“Sam is by far the most promising young, up and coming male or female tennis player in the United States,” said women’s tennis head coach Hugh Bream. “ He has a huge serve and forehand is a very tough competitor on the court but has an easy-going persona off the court.”

“It’s a really special occasion for us to have Sam coming up to help our teams reach out to the Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo Tennis Community”

Event flyer (https://secure.techxpress.net/gopoly.com/images/uploads/pages/sam_calpoly.pdf)

gouci
Nov 11th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Anna Jeczmionka who gave a verbal to Long Beach is from Poland. She is 17 years old and was born 12/29/90.
Her highest junior ITF ranking was #477 in January of 2008.

2008 Tournament results

Mera Cup - Aug. 2008
lost M. Meszarosova, ITF 331 Slovakia 2-6,1-6

ITF Poznan - Jun. 2008
def. M. Kornek, Poland 7-5,6-1
lost K. Kaleta, ITF 433 Poland 0-6, retired

Casio Hamburg G-Shock Cup - Jan. 2008
lost G. Veinberga, ITF 448 Latvia 3-6,6-7

2008 singles = 1-3
2007 singles = 7-11
2006 singles = 11-6
ITF career singles = 19-20 (including qualifying record of 8-1)

2007 doubles = 11-9
2006 doubles = 2-4
ITF career doubles = 13-13

Don't be surprised if Long Beach signs one of Jeczmionka's higher ranked doubles partner or one of her Polish countrymen.
Jessica Weeks and Hannah Grady had played doubles together before college.

Career high ITF ranking comparisons
Hannah Grady - 133
Anastasia Dvornikova - 156
Deborah Armstrong - 238
Stephanie Jeanes - 249
Claudia Argumedo - 261
Elena Kovalchuk - 307
Rachael Porsz - 338
Lisa Sutton - 455
Stephanie Bengson - 654
Alena Dvornikova - 692
Jessica Weeks - 801
Emmanuelle Tabatruong - unranked

Anna Jeczmionka - 477

Nicoleta Ratiu - 252
Lisa Haegele - 567
Katy Williams - 666
Anais Dallara - unranked
Denise Liebschner - unranked
Alanah Carroll - unranked

gouci
Nov 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
UC Riverside loses out getting 4 star player Melissa Cecil to Air Force. :sad:
I wonder if Air Force, like the Ivy League can sign as many players as they want?

Oh well, I guess UCR will just have to beat out Cal State Fullerton for Melanie Abella. :lol:

What's up with UCR? They haven't replaced H.R. Espiritu yet and I don't recall Yasman Sakhakorn or Donna McCullough playing in a tournament this fall. :confused:

I can tolerate top California players going out of state to the Ivy Leagues but not other conferences.
I don't like to see out of state programs poach California players like Thien-Trang Nguyen and Zoe De Bruyker.
Cali schools need to secure the talent within the borders. :armed:

Nicole Bartnik removed her interests in UCLA and Yale. Wonder if it means another surprise verbal ala Zoe De Bruycker?

form
Nov 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
You have to considerate of CSF and UCR. They are battling with 1/2 the funding. With just 5 and 4.5 scholarships, they have to rely on kids that will accept partials. And that would be almost NOBODY. :eek:

As far as leaving CA, 99% of the Bluechips and 5 stars truly consider only the four Pac schools plus a couple of the private school WCC's. The one's considering others are few and far between until the other 'national BCS' options are exhausted. :sad:

I am sure the others are working hard at it but it is what it is for the other 14-17 D1 schools that aren't Pac10 or Pepperdine. If you think about it... those schools need 30+ recruits just to fill their spots each year... after the cream has been taken off the top by the big dogs (plus the Ivy's) from around the country. :help:

gouci
Nov 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hey Form do me this favor.

1. Go to the right hand column and click on "User CP."

2. Then go to the left hand column and click on "Edit Options."

3. Then scroll down to the heading "Messaging & Notification."

4. Scroll down half way between that heading and the next. Click on the box "Enable Private Messaging."

5. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click on "Save Changes."

This will let me send you private messages! :cool:

gouci
Nov 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
California players still uncommitted in top 150 = 21

4. Julia Boserup - WTA #607
5. Stacey Tan - Stanford
20. Cierra Gaytan-Leach - ITF women's circuit
22. Arianna Colffer - ITF women's circuit
27. Stephanie Hoffpauir - ITF women's circuit
43. Brynn Boren - ITF women's circuit

75. Kelly Lamble
85. Alina Savchuk
90. Bianca Modoc - Fresno St.
91. Yurie Hashiguchi
94. Kristin Lim (Hawaii)
95. Anna Yang
100. Marie Zalameda - UCLA
107. Jennifer Salomon
108. Lauren Curry - UC Davis

121. Jaclyn West - Utah St.
127. Tiffany Mai
128. Natalie Dillon - Stanford
137. Frances Tseng
146. Mimi Hamling
149. Sarah Weng

I thought Ohio St. may have recruited Brynn Boren. Now that OSU signed Manashirova & Steele maybe Boren stays in CA.
Curry has potential to turn into a Becky Bernhard for UC Davis.
I'm hoping the Big West can net a big chunk of the 2nd tier made up of 4 star players.

Big West open scholarships = 18
UCI - 3
Cal Poly - 2
UCD - 3

(recruits mostly international)
LBS - 2
CSUN - 2
Pacific - 2

(chance at 3rd tier)
UCR - 2
CSF - 2

Form enable your private messaging!

form
Nov 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Big West open scholarships = not 18 left to fill

UCI - only 2 left to fill
Cal Poly - only 1 left... HAS TWO INT'L PLAYERS ALSO
UCD - only 2 left...

(recruits mostly international)
LBS - 1 left to fill
CSUN - 2
Pacific - 2 (at least one left; does not have full 8 positions funded)

(chance at 3rd tier)
UCR - 2 (who knows, only has 5)
CSF - 2 (who knows, only has 5.5)

gouci
Nov 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Form you disagree with me again as usual. But fortunately this is not politics but a case of math. There is only 1 correct answer. :lol:

UCI roster for 2009-2010
1. Rebecca Kwan
2. Brooke Bartlett
3. Stephanie Hammel
4. Courtney Byron
5. Kristina Smith

To me that leaves 3 open scholarships.
Unless of course there is a mystery signing (guesstimate, aim lower - I still haven't figured out who you meant?)

Cal Poly roster for 2009-2010
1. Brittany Blalock
2. Suzie Matzenauer
3. Steffi Wong
4. Diane Filip
5. Amy Markhoff
6. Alexa Lee

To me that leaves 2 open schollies.
Unless coach plans to give Jocelyn Davis a 'ship?

Long Beach State roster for 2009-2010
1. Debbie Armstrong
2. Stephanie Jeanes
3. Rachel Manasse
4. Lisa Sutton
5. Julie Luzar
6. Anna Jeczmionka

To me that leaves 2 left.
Unless LB has an unannounced signee?

Fullerton can start up 2 new sports in men's & women's golf but won't fully fund WT?
I think out of all the teams in any Big West sport I can't think of one worse than CSF women's tennis.

gouci
Nov 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Kristina Smith 5 star, verbal to UCI, update

Kristina Smith lead her Dana Pointe - Dana Hills high school team to a CIF Southern Section Division 1 team championship. Dana Hills earned it's 2nd consecutive CIF title in the finals Monday at the Claremont Club. The second-seeded Dolphins' singles of Kristina Smith 5 star, Brynn Boren 5 star & Joanna Smith blue chip swept the top seeded Newport Beach - Corona del Mar high school singles of Melissa Matsuoka 4 star & Katelyn Nguyen 5 star ending in a 13-5 victory. Corona del Mar was the last undefeated Division 1 squad and only team to beat Dana Hills this year with an earlier 11-7 victory. Kristina Smith's momentum-shifting comeback in Round 1 gave Dana Hills a 4-2 lead in sets. She trailed the Sea King's Katelyn Nguyen 2-5, before pulling out the 7-5 victory. :eek:

Dana Hills' doubles team of Kristina Smith 5 star and Brynn Boren 5 star won three matches at Saturday's CIF individual tournament to move into the Round of 16. The duo is the defending CIF doubles champion. They would be the first team to play in 3 consecutive finals together and winning the title would make them the first pair to repeat in more than 70 years. :worship:

gouci
Nov 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM
UCI has made a release about Kristina Smith's signing.

Kristina Smith's mother, Maria Smith is an Anteater tennis alum and was a qualifier for the NCAA Division I Singles Championships.

Kristina Smith article (http://ucirvinesports.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/112508aaa.html)

Maybe in the future mom and big sis can convince blue chip recruit Joanna Smith to also play for UCI. :hehehe:

gouci
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
2007-2008 Operating expenses per team.

Based on Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act reports.

1. UCSB $68,000

2. CSUN $43,000
3. Cal Poly $42,300

4. UCI $35,600
5. UCD $32,600
6. LBS $32,500
7. Pacific $30,200

8. UCR $26,200
9. CSUF $21,000

How does UCSB out spend by double, two-thirds of the Big West teams?

Why doesn't Cal St. Fullerton find a way to field a men's tennis team instead of a women's team. That way they can meet the max 4.5 scholarships and be somewhat competitive.

form
Dec 10th, 2008, 05:05 AM
There is always some school with odd ball numbers.... UCSB runs a pretty lean program so that number does seem odd. They did travel a bit more last year and bit more this fall but ?

And these numbers do not include scholarships or salaries.

The rest of those numbers tell you the BW does pretty good with not a lot when you look at many many other programs around the country...

LB at # 6 in conference spending... matching the titles this decade :D

Your CSF comment makes no sense. They have no budget, are just over 1/2 scholied... BUT the reason there are 300+ women's teams is compliance with Title IX. Nobody cancels women's sports to add men's sports. Under the CALNOW settlement, it's illegal. :rolleyes:

FedAce
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
UCI has made a release about Kristina Smith's signing.

Kristina Smith's mother, Maria Smith is an Anteater tennis alum and was a qualifier for the NCAA Division I Singles Championships.

Kristina Smith article (http://ucirvinesports.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/112508aaa.html)

Maybe in the future mom and big sis can convince blue chip recruit Joanna Smith to also play for UCI. :hehehe:

Is she Cute ? if she is, is there any pics ??

form
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM
West Coast budgets and final rankings... Big West does a lot with very little :help:

PAC USC $292,747 11
ASU $179,722 23
Stnford $175,965 7
UCLA $172,975 1
WSU $170,194 43
Cal $132,938 3
UW $132,648 40
Oregon $108,687 55
Arizona $66,124

BW UCSB $68,000
CSUN $43,000
CP $42,300
UCI $35,600 64
UCD $32,600
LB $32,500 50
UOP $30,200
UCR $26,200
CSF $21,000

WAC Fres St $106,303 16
Reno $71,517
Bois St $50,923 46
Idaho $39,859
SJ St $36,220
Utah St $32,873

MW NMexico $161,950 51
SD St $72,788
UNLV $61,787 38

WCC LMU $69,817
Peppdne $65,863 25
USD $52,067
StMary $40,826 59
S Clara $38,258
USF $20,603

gouci
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Looks like USF is getting the most bang for the buck.

For California kids standard recruiting includes the school paying for an official visit and the coach meeting with the recruit and the parents in their living room. I might have guessed the teams with more international players like Long Beach State and Pacific would of had higher operating expenses.

Does that mean the majority of international players make a verbal without taking an official visit or meeting the coach in person 1st?

Are most international players just recruited using e-mails and phone calls and therefore actually cost less in recruiting expenses to sign than an in state player?

form
Dec 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Depends on the int'l recruit.

Given that USF is unranked.. not sure how you could surmise that?

gouci
Dec 11th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Given that USF is unranked.. not sure how you could surmise that?
USF had less money for expenses than Cal State Fullerton last year! :eek:

But they defeated UCSB & LMU, the biggest spenders in the Big West and WCC. That's how I surmised that. :cool:

form
Dec 12th, 2008, 04:14 AM
USF now has 8 full scholarships, UCSB has 5.5 scholarships funded. LMU I can't speak for.

gouci
Dec 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Hey form USC is outspending the next highest budget in the Pac 10 by over $100,000. What do you think the chunk of this extra 100k is used for?

form
Dec 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
There are three or four numbers that must be wrong. USC is way too high (though they do take entire squad for fall 'non counting' match to Notre Dame when football plays there each year. But $100k more seems odd; they are either including some salary or playing the Title IX money game.

Georgia Tech has to be a typo. Win national title and cut budget by 60K? Pretty sure there was supposed to be a '1' in front of that number given their travel.

Sac State reported number a mess and the UCSB number really jumped. Sometimes a school might report some odd number if they are trying to help their Title IX numbers.

Still... the Pac has huge budgets other than UA.

gouci
Jan 17th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Here's an article from TRN about 5 star Kristina Smith's decision to attend UCI. :bounce:

Smith Chooses the Anteaters (http://bigwest.yuku.com/sreply/27490)

FedAce
Jan 17th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Here's an article from TRN about 5 star Kristina Smith's decision to attend UCI. :bounce:

Smith Chooses the Anteaters (http://bigwest.yuku.com/sreply/27490)

Is she HOT ??? does she have a nice butt ??

gouci
Jul 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
:spit: . Form thanks for the update! I won't believe it until Isip is actually playing for UCI in the ITA regionals next year. When I looked, Isip also had a high interest in Pepperdine which makes them the heavy favorites to sign her. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams like St. Mary's also get listed into the mix later.

My prediction about Isip listing St. Mary's comes true 9 months later. :worship::worship::worship:

Quick see it here (http://tennisrecruiting.net/player.asp?id=926) today (7/15/09) before it changes. :lol:

tennisbuddy12
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM
My prediction about Isip listing St. Mary's comes true 9 months later. :worship::worship::worship:

Quick see it here (http://tennisrecruiting.net/player.asp?id=926) today (7/15/09) before it changes. :lol:

So m gonna get to the bottom of this..ill ask Catherine whats up..

form
Jul 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Word last week at local tourney:

Isip admission was denied at Pepperdine (home schooled; missing something that was needed).... so she took St Mary's position with offer to allow her to transfer later if she doesn't like it... just repeating word on the street

Colffer now has offer from Pepp in the last couple days (odd, after beating Montez her stock jumped) which obviously is last minute since Isip didn't get admitted.

tennisbuddy12
Jul 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Word last week at local tourney:

Isip admission was denied at Pepperdine (home schooled; missing something that was needed).... so she took St Mary's position with offer to allow her to transfer later if she doesn't like it... just repeating word on the street

Colffer now has offer from Pepp in the last couple days (odd, after beating Montez her stock jumped) which obviously is last minute since Isip didn't get admitted.

90 percent true. Cat had tried a ton of different home schooled programs in her 4 years. She found out after her early decision that some of her schedule needed to be fixed per NCAA admisssions...She found a program that was approved but after 2 Pepperdine girls had bad semesters academically, they didnt wanna chance on Cat. As you said, the St.Mary's bit is true. Both her and I said it was a blessing in disguise.

gouci
Jul 17th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Now that Isip has an "out clause" to transfer later, I wouldn't be surprised if she exercised it for the 2011-2012 season when USC will have 4 scholarships available. :lick:

90 ...She found a program that was approved but after 2 Pepperdine girls had bad semesters academically, they didnt wanna chance on Cat.
Pepperdine just lost Zlatka Petrova and Anne-Christine Voicu. They may end up in the NAIA which is stocked with ex-Pepperdine players like Katia Sabate and Kimberly Haynes. :lol:

tennisbuddy12
Jul 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Rumor has it that Marie Zalameda might be going to Pepperdine....already signed but tennisrecruit doesnt have it