PDA

View Full Version : What are Venus's chances of making top 4 at the end of the year?

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
After the Us Open how many points did Venus get last year. what does she have to defend? Stat buffs please help. Thanks and good day.:-)

G&R
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
winner at seoul,final at japan open, semi at bangkok

G&R
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
280 points I think

vw.
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, she has such little to defend. It'd be great if she could get into the Top 4 by the end to ensure the Top 4 seeding for the AO. She can certainly do it if she play all the events she's commited in right now and does decently. I would love to see Serena end 08 at 3 and Venus at 4. Or 1 and 2 (but mathematically very unlikely right?). Either way, perfect for AO seedings. :angel:

Dodoboy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Slim at best :lol:

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Venus it seems has a solid chance of getting a top four seed at Aussie 09.

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM

frenchie
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Venus has 115 + 100 + 65 = 280 points to defend

Ivanovic is currently 4th at the race with 2800 points
Venus is 7th with 2100 points

It will be very difficult for Venus to catch Ana (unlikely) but she has a very good shot at finishing the year at 6

~Eclipsed~
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM

No not really, She's not far behind Kuznetsova, but she's far behind Sharapova. The big problem there is that Maria didn't play any events except the YEC so she doesn't have a lot of points to defend.

I'd say at best she could end at 6 in the world. Maybe 5 if the other players do bad, but even that looks like a stretch.

I have a bad feeling she might end up in Serena's quarter at every major next year. :(

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
frenchie, are you talking about the YEC race? I'm more concerned about rank so she will get a good seed. Maybe even top 4 seed. What about the actual ranking? I wonder what Ana has to defend vrs Venus after the US Open. I don't think Vee played YEC last year???

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Ok. when is Maria coming back? It's all good. I doubt she'll face Serena in every quarter. The draws aren't usually rigged that way.

frenchie
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
YEC and WTA ranking are the same for Venus as she played less than 17 events this year!

Trust me, Venus won't go higher than 6 at the end of the year

she will only pass Kuznetsova and Sharapova
The others are too far ahead

~Eclipsed~
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ok. when is Maria coming back? It's all good. I doubt she'll face Serena in every quarter. The draws aren't usually rigged that way.

Maria isn't supposed to come back until the 2009 Aus Open.

And i'm not saying the draws are rigged, but look what happened between Justine and Serena last year. That could very well happen next year between Venus and Serena because like frenchie said, it's highly unlikely that Venus will go higher than 6 by year's end.

Hurley
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Venus's chances for Top 4 are almost nil.

She has to play and win a lot and hope that Dementieva AND Ivanovic gain almost no points for the rest of the year.