PDA

View Full Version : I take my hat off to Jelena.

Slutiana
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
This whole year people have been criticising the way she plays, her tactics and what not saying that shes a pusher and all that bull. Its true. However in this final, Jelena showed us a side of her I don't think i've ever seen. It was really odd, literally a role-reversal. Jelena was dictating A LOT of the points - left, right, left, right whereas Serena was having to counterpunch Jelena. I don't think ANYONE could have expected this coming into this match.

She was playing beyond herself x100000 and even though it wasn't perfect - she often came in on the wrong ball or not at all, and she didn't use enough angles, she was taking more risks than i've ever seen her take... Ife she contunes to work on this style of play, I have no doubt that she will win a Grand Slam by 2010. She was right there with Serena and for once, Jankovic's movement wasn't the feature of her play. Unlucky, but congrats to her. Shes finally gotten to that next level. :worship:

serenus_2k8
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
She played like the world number 2, no doubts about it. :worship:

Pureracket
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Definitely a true no. 2 player. Congrats to her.

plantman
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
#2 headed for # 1....

She'll get there!:)

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
my only question is....was that only because she knew she was playing serena?? the stats still say that serena was the one forcing the issue with 40+ winners and 30+ errors to jj's 15 winners and 20+ errors....being a counter puncher means its much easier for her to play someone who plays like venus cause she feeds off the pace (well except ana cause she just seems to have a block there lol)....had this been anyone else and she had played like that she would have won....but if she was playing anyone else save serena/venus, would have seen the need to be so aggressive?? her style is to wear down her opponents, make you hit that one extra shot that you aren't prepared to hit and you could tell she was a bit outside of her zone...

i guess it remains to be seen...:shrug: was it just the opponent who forced her to play that way and will revert back to grinding until the next match?? or will this aggressive mentality continue

pov
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
my only question is....was that only because she knew she was playing serena?? the stats still say that serena was the one forcing the issue with 40+ winners and 30+ errors to jj's 15 winners and 20+ errors....
That's a misuse of those stats. They don't give a picture of how aggressively someone was playing. If there was a stat for "attempted winners" then maybe. As it is, watching the match is the way to see what goes on.

Slutiana
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
my only question is....was that only because she knew she was playing serena?? the stats still say that serena was the one forcing the issue with 40+ winners and 30+ errors to jj's 15 winners and 20+ errors....being a counter puncher means its much easier for her to play someone who plays like venus cause she feeds off the pace (well except ana cause she just seems to have a block there lol)....had this been anyone else and she had played like that she would have won....but if she was playing anyone else save serena/venus, would have seen the need to be so aggressive?? her style is to wear down her opponents, make you hit that one extra shot that you aren't prepared to hit and you could tell she was a bit outside of her zone...

i guess it remains to be seen...:shrug: was it just the opponent who forced her to play that way and will revert back to grinding until the next match?? or will this aggressive mentality continue
Fair enough but I still think it was incredibly brave, and extremely unpredictable. 99% of people would have said that the only way shes winning this is if Serena was to come out and hit 43270983428348430 errors but she stepped up and had her chances. I actually think she was going for it too much.. I mean Serena was defending so well this morning but her footwork is still terrible;

I remember hearing ages ago that Jelena Dokic said that she knows exactly how to play the WS (esp. Serena) don't go for the lines as much, she go for the middle of the court. You can still be aggresive but it cuts off their angles and makes it harder for them to hit outright winners. Of course its even a better play nowadays against Serena who's footwork is frankly pathetic. But yeah, back to the subject, as I said, we don't know if shes going to contunue to play like this but if she does then she should win the French Open next year or the year after at least. I mean watching this final, Jelena would have beaten Maria and Ivanovic playing like this. I was sooo impressed. Without a doubt the second best final of the year.

She does have weapons, she just chooses not to use them. She even served well apart from the DFs at crucial times. She out aced Serena in the first. :yeah:

Also we haven't had one beatdown all year, we just need that 3 Set thriller in the Final!!

-Sonic-
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Jelena did great. During the tournament, during the final, and during the award ceremony.

Some people's behaviour on here in the past 24 hrs has been beyond childish...

Slutiana
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Jelena did great. During the tournament, during the final, and during the award ceremony.

Some people's behaviour on here in the past 24 hrs has been beyond childish...
Agreed. She was great in the awards Ceremony. After watching Serena be so bratty vs HER SISTER at wimbledon, I think Jelena was as great and gracious as it gets. :)

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
This match could have gone in Jelena's favour easily.

Great display from both.

Slutiana :yeah:

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
who cares Jelena lost I guess her fans can now lick their wounds in her forum and dream of Jelena winning in 2009.I bet you Ana will win another slam before JJ...MARK MY WORDS

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
who cares Jelena lost I guess her fans can now lick their wounds in her forum and dream of Jelena winning in 2009.I bet you Ana will win another slam before JJ...MARK MY WORDS

I'm gonna mark your ass, you know ?

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna mark your ass, you know ?I LOVE YOU MAN:tape:I am so giddy I cannot help myself...my favourite won,I can afford to be generous,
Good luck JUSTDOIT...in your pursuit of happiness:wavey:

bodan
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM

I love when people try to sell their stuff by writing in third-person singular.

Guess what, looking at the threads after the final yesterday, much more people care and would love to watch WS-JJ slam finals again.
If you think otherwise, you are in a serious denial.

LUVMIRZA
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Jelena had so many chances to move in to the net and make winning volleys, but she didnt take those oppurtunities. That made the difference between Serena & Jelena. Serena comes in at each and evry short ball, she is not afraid at all. She is a true champion. Jelena has to improve her mental toughness to be a champion. But anyways I started to like her very much this year, she puts up a fight against any player.

ms_nut
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Jelena had so many chances to move in to the net and make winning volleys, but she didnt take those oppurtunities. That made the difference between Serena & Jelena. Serena comes in at each and evry short ball, she is not afraid at all. She is a true champion. Jelena has to improve her mental toughness to be a champion. But anyways I started to like her very much this year, she puts up a fight against any player.

I agree.JJ was pretty nervous about closing the net.Serena moves were well forward and knows exactly what to do with the short balls, unlike Jelena who just seemed to retreat.The funny thing is she used to attack the net way more often before.:confused::confused: I wonder why she has gotten so tentative lately.
Also, i'm not surprised JJ played this well.She always matches up pretty well against the Williams sisters. Why was everyone surprised by the way she played tonight:shrug:.This is how she played at the end of 2006 and the beginning of 2007.