PDA

View Full Version : 2008 WTA Awards

Cp6uja
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Player Of The Year:

4 slams, 4 different winners this season, but Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic together with GS title reach also another slam final unlike Venus and Maria (both without semis at other three slams) and also Venus is "without results" in 1st half of season and Maria in 2nd.

So whatever will happen before end of season only two contenders have chances for most prestiguos WTA Award. Except GS Title and Final both contenders wins one tier-I two-weekers (Serena Miami, Ana Indian Wells), but Serena also wins tier-I Charleston. Serena is current leader and to overtake her at end Ana Ivanovic must to win YEC Championship in Doha, or atleast reach Doha final with Tokyo tier-I title (with extra condition that Serena will not wins at Tokyo or Moscow or YEC Doha).

Doubles Team of the Year:

If we look at current YEC Doubles Team race after last 2008 Grand Slam where Huber/Black lead about double points more than 2nd Medina/Pascual (5400 vs 2700) it seems that is very easy to choose best doubles team for this season... but actualy is not like that. 10th ranked 2008 doubles team Williams/Williams played just three tournaments so far, but won Wimbledon and Olympics - and in tennis Olympics is unique tournament where doubles title have almost same value like singles title (gold=gold) and also Olympics Doubles gold actualy is more prestiguos than GS Doubles title. So Black/Huber if we count majors only have just US Open and sisters Wimbledon and Beijing Olympics. But because this is WTA, not ITF awards, i think Huber/Black will win again this title like last season.

Most Improved Player:

Before may it seems that Agnieska Radwanska is only serious contender, but than happen "miracle" with Dinara Safina which remind on same thing which happen with last season MIP winner Ana Ivanovic since may of 2007. Grand Slam final, Olympics silver and two tier-I titles with TOP5 ranking is more than enough for former just solid TOP20 player to reach this award.

Newcomer of the Year:

Caroline Wozniacki lead right now ahead Alize Cornet and crucial moment when she overtake her is their New Haven SF when Caro won and day after reach tier-II title. Except Cornet, player which also still have some chances to overtake Wozniacki for this award is Cibulkova but she needs some much better results in last 2 months of season than Danish.

Comeback Player of the Year:

Fact that last season Lindsay reach this award, not Serena which won Australian Open ranked out of TOP80 suggest that this award is more about "comeback after long PAUSE" than "comeback after BAD RESULTS". So i think this award for 2008 season will go to China. Because Na Li lose that bronze medal match, right now Jie Zheng is more close than Na Li... but Li still have September and October to improve more.

Player Service:

I think Jie Zheng most deserve this award for 2008 because her Wimbledon semifinal money prize donation to Earthquake victims in her country (she is from that China's province). One other Asian, Sania Mirza, also deserve to be mentouned because menaged on right way all pressure and dirty campaign from some extremists in her country against her.

Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award:

2008 is Olympics year in sport and i think that player which more than any other represents Olympics spirit in tennis is great sportsmen Elena Dementieva. In past maybe irritate her opponents litle bit often "toalet break" pauses when opponent lead in 2nd or 3rd set but she change that only objection from past this season, so now she is "perfect sportsmen". Also, last season winner Ana Ivanovic stay same nice girl from past even when reach #1 and 1st GS title this season and dont have problems to give some credit even to players out of TOP50 or TOP100 which upset her.

IMO©

Protoss
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Doesn't a player have to started the year outside the top #100 to be eligible for the wta newcomer of the year award? That would rule out Caro, Domi, and Cornet for that award.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Dementieva sportswoman of the year - NO = JJ.
Serena player of they year.
Williams doublet= Doubles team of year, but will not win...

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Doesn't a player have to started the year outside the top #100 to be eligible for the wta newcomer of the year award? That would rule out Caro, Domi, and Cornet for that award.

yep it has to be a 1st timer inside top 100

Alisa Kleybanova will take this award

Cp6uja
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM
yep it has to be a 1st timer inside top 100

Alisa Kleybanova will take this awardIt's happen only once since this award existing since 1990 (Serena Williams 1998 case), but i think this will be maybe happen again b/c 2008 season is litle bit unique and Wozniacki and Cornet also is younger players than Kleybanova. I think similar things is happen last year when Ana Ivanovic reach 2nd time "Most Improved Player" award (only ASV in past reach that award twice) simple because 2007 is also very unique season for that category.

But i agree, if "Newcomer" ultimatly means career-high out of TOP100 before start of season - Alisa should win this award for sure and only Carla Suarez-Navarro with eventual FED CUP title or some very good indoors result in next two months can overtake her.

serenus_2k8
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Omg. Ree has had a far better year than Ana :help:

3 tournys in a row, awesome win streak, slam final, slam win and 3rd round&QF.

Unless Ana does something very special its Ree. Plus she has extended her lead in GS titles over the rest of the pack and broken the record for the longest time between being number 1 and reclaiming the spot.

I actually think that Elena D or JJ deserve most improved because both have totally shocked me with the level of play they've produced. Elena has been very consistant and JJ has shown that she can keep her ranking up there and compete at her best at the very top/

Cp6uja
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Omg. Ree has had a far better year than Ana :help:I agree that Serena leads right now in "Player Of The Year" race and Ana will overtake her only with YEC title (or atleast YEC final with Tokyo tier-I title and Serena bad september-november results).

I actually think that Elena D or JJ deserve most improved because both have totally shocked me with the level of play they've produced. Elena has been very consistant and JJ has shown that she can keep her ranking up there and compete at her best at the very top/Sorry, but no way that player which have some similar results last season and finished like TOP3 will be choosen. Same thing for Dementieva which have similar (if not better) season in terms of success in 2004. On other hand Safina started this season like #15 (career high #10) but finished like TOP5 GS and OG finalist and multiple tier-I winner, which is realy huge improvement.

Slutiana
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Venus still has a hypothetical chance - if she was to win Tokyo, Stuttgart and YEC. :shrug:

serenus_2k8
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Sorry, but no way that player which have some similar results last season and finished like TOP3 will be choosen. Same thing for Dementieva which have similar (if not better) season in terms of success in 2004. On other hand Safina started this season like #15 (career high #10) but finished like TOP5 GS and OG finalist and multiple tier-I winner, which is realy huge improvement.

Safina has had a great year, but IMO other than a great RG run, she hasnt been that amazing. Thats just how I feel. I think that Elena D with a serve and JJ playing the way she played in USO final (minus the DF when she got nervous) have gone from players that have been joked about and classed as boring counterpunchers etc. to players with considerable talent and all round ability.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Just give dementieva and jj the sportsmanship award

sadly,both of them are the most unsporty things in the top 10

Cp6uja
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Venus still has a hypothetical chance - if she was to win Tokyo, Stuttgart and YEC. :shrug:Check again:
SERENA: US Open GS, Wimbledon GS final, Miami two-weekers, Charleston tier-I, Bangalore tier-II
VENUS: Wimbledon GS, YEC Championship, Tokyo tier-I, Stuttgart tier-II

Safina has had a great year, but IMO other than a great RG run, she hasnt been that amazing. Thats just how I feel. I think that Elena D with a serve and JJ playing the way she played in USO final (minus the DF when she got nervous) have gone from players that have been joked about and classed as boring counterpunchers etc. to players with considerable talent and all round ability.But it's not about "who is better" Dinara, Jelena or Elena. It's about who more improve in comparation with herself best before this season. People is for example impressed with Jankovic yesterdays performance, but for me that is not some "New Jelena" - that is exactly (injury-free) Jelena which i know. People already forget that with similar level of her game she lose last season QF in 3rd set tie-break against Venus, or in 2006 semifinal against Henin when she lose after leading 6-4 4-2 40-30*. Same thing we have when compare Dementieva results from 2004 with this very good season. But when we compare Safina 2008 performances with everything which she shows in past it's comparation between TOP5 player with average TOP20 player. It's not only at clay improvment - what she ever doing at hardcourts before this season, and this summer she won HC tier-I, Olympics silver and GS semis.

Cp6uja
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I forget to present winners from past (in last 5 seasons)

WTA Award 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003
Player Of The Year: Henin Mauresmo Clijsters Sharapova Henin
Doubles Team: HuBlack StosuRay StosuRay PaSuarez PaSuarez
Most Improved Player: Ivanovic Jankovic Ivanovic Sharapova Petrova
Newcomer of the Year: Szavay Radwanska Mirza Golovin Sharapova
Comeback of the Year: Davenport Hingis Clijsters Serena Mauresmo
Player Service: Huber Pratt Clijsters
Sportsmanship Award: Ivanovic Clijsters Clijsters Davenport Clijsters

Piotr'ek
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Player Of The Year:

Serena by very slim margin.

Who cares. Black/Huber

Most Improved Player:

Safina by far.

Newcomer of the Year:

Larcher de Brito hands down.

ALG.

c note
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Cp6uja -- Just wanted to say that I think your original post was well reasoned, fair, and balanced. Which is a rare thing around here ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I think Safina will get the most improved player award:D:bounce:

okayawesome21
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:59 AM
player of the year:
1st half- ana
2nd half - serena
unless ana wins a couple tournaments (including yec), pretty sure serena is going to win.
most improved:
safina for sure

Zealisa
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Player of the year: Serena Williams
Doubles team of the year: Huber/Black
Most improved player: Dinara Safina
Newcomer of the year: Caroline Wozniacki
Comeback player of The year: Lindsay Davenport
Player Service: Sania Mirza
Sportsmanship Award: Ana Ivanovic

friendsita
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Serena, best player
Team Williams, best doubles

Dodoboy.
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Has the same player ever won Player of the year and doubles team of the year?

I imagine Vee??

In The Zone
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Serena >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ana Nothumbs Ivanovic.

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Player of the year: Jelena or Serena- arguments can be made for both of them.

Doubles team of the year: Black/Huber- even without the US Open, no other team has come close to them this year.

homogenius
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Player of the year: Serena Williams (but things can still change)
Newcomer of the year: still not sure
Comeback player of The year: Date :)
Player Service: ?
Sportsmanship Award: ?

+ Entertainer of the year (this category was lacking): Jelena Jankovic

Donny
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Player of the year: Jelena or Serena- arguments can be made for both of them.

Doubles team of the year: Black/Huber- even without the US Open, no other team has come close to them this year.

Jelena? Player of the year?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Player of the year: Serena Williams no doubt
Comeback player of The year: Davenport
Player Service: ?
Sportsmanship Award: Serena Williams, she even gave a point to Venus in wimbly final!

ViennaCalling
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
^^ I thought Davenport got the Comeback-Award last year? She won´t win it again i guess...

Tennisation
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
where does Lena D fit into this equation? She's the olympic singles champ, and have gone far in the last couple of grand slams. I would put Williams/Williams the olympic gold medalists and Wimbledon champs as doubles team of the year considering how minimal they play doubles.

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
sportsmanship award should go to Sveta....Ana should not win because of her sqeaky shoes,JJ her injury breaks to shift momentum,Dementieva..her sour grapes after losing to Venus..

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM
sportsmanship award should go to Sveta....Ana should not win because of her sqeaky shoes,JJ her injury breaks to shift momentum,Dementieva..her sour grapes after losing to Venus..

Not just that, what about the crafty toilet breaks!

Mikey B
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM
serena will be player of the year by far, if she can get a win or two before the YEC.. otherwise its a little closer..

MisterMan
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Too bad they don't have a combined award for Best Comeback (semi's in a GS) and subsequent Worst Decline (everything since that) Award.
Daniela deserves something, no ?

Dinayer
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think Safina will get the most improved player award:D:bounce:

hopefully :)

and Ana will be player of the year :)

Derek.
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Player of the Year: Serena Williams
Doubles Team of the Year: Huber/Black
Most Improved Player: Dinara Safina
Comeback Player of the Year: :shrug:
Player Service: :confused:
Sportsmanship Award: Jelena Jankovic

Cp6uja
Oct 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
CURRENT STANDINGS
Just three weeks before end of season

Player Of The Year:
1. Serena Williams
2. Ana Ivanovic
3. Jelena Jankovic
4. Dinara Safina

1. Black/Huber
2. Williams/Williams
3. Medina/Pascual
4. Bondarenko/Bondarenko

Most Improved Player:
1. Dinara Safina
2. Agnieszka Radwanska
3. Caroline Wozniacki
4. Flavia Penneta

Newcomer of the Year:

Relative Newcomers (1st full season):
1. Caroline Wozniacki
2. Alize Cornet
3. Dominika Cibulkova

Newcomers (TOP150 never before):
1. Alisa Kleybanova
2. Carla Suarez Navarro
3. Sabine Lisicki

Absolute Newcomers (UNDER 19, TOP150 never before):
1. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
2. Michelle Larcher De Brito
3. Petra Kvitova

1. Jie Zheng
2. Tamarine Tanasugarn
3. Na Li
4. Anna-Lena Groenefeld

Player Service:
1. Jie Zheng
2. Sania Mirza
3. Jelena Jankovic
4. Cara Black

1. Caroline Wozniacki
2. Ana Ivanovic
3. Svetlana Kuznetsova
4. Venus Williams

Malva
Oct 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
unlike Venus and Maria (both without semis at other three slams) and also Venus is "without results" in 1st half of season and Maria in 2nd.

You forgot to include Ana, unless you mean that she had 'results' in the 2nd half of the year.

HRHoliviasmith
Oct 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
the most improved award needs to be renamed for Dianra. no contest :worship:

as for demented winning sportsmanship...puhleeze. that would be the joke of the year, especially not after that stunt she pulled during wimbledon. :rolleyes:

Direwolf
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Can Venus still catch up when she wins YEC??

even if she beats Serena, Jelena and Ana??

E.Dementieva_FAN
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Serena has to win the POY award of course. She has had much better results. Ana has played 3 really good tournament this year but that's all. You can not win this award in this way even if you played 2 GS final.

Ana >>> Serena
GS results: W-F-R3-R2 >>> W-F-QF-R3
Titles in 08: 4 >>> 2
Record against Top10 players: 5-4 >>> 8-3
2008 Singles Record: 34-13 >>> 43-7
Year End Rank: probably #4 or #5 >>> probablyˇ#2 or #3

gaviotabr
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I actually find the Sportmanship awards the most interesting, since it's voted by other players. You kind of get the feeling of what goes down in the locker room. Sometimes it's pretty obvious, like Kim dominating this award for so long, but it can also be surprising.

C6puja, what makes you put Wozniacki as a frontrunner for the Sportmanship awards? I don't see her winning it.. don't know.. maybe because it's usually a top player..

santhuruu
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Player of the Year Award: Serena Williams (USOPEN TITLE, Leading winner in Prize Money, Wimbledon Final, 2 Tier 1 titles, long winning streak etc.)

Doubles Team of the Year Award: I really enjoyed seeing the Williams sisters playing doubles, hardly anyone could beat them in my opinion and they showed it in the two biggest stages of this year. So I am also using this occasion to shout out PLAY DOUBLES NEXT YEAR TOO WILLIAMS SISTERS! And I give them this award!

Most Improved Player Award: Dinara Safina deserves this award more than anyone else in my opinion.

Newcomer of the year Award : Larcher de Brito

Comeback Player of the year Award: Groenefeld (after all these terrible things that have happened to her I think she did very well by coming back from, place what? under rank nr. 300? Towards the top 100. Also good US OPEN.

Player Service: I somehow think Venus should get this award, she did a lot of things too for the female athletes in general. But also I should say Zheng should be mentioned as well!

Karen Krantzcke Sportmanships Award: Pffff real tough one, ehmmmm, this really is a tough one. I'd have to say that Venus was always gracious in defeat, and also remember that speech after the Ladies Singles Final Of Wimbledon: Of course I will try even harder in the doubles final, cause Serena really deserves a Wimbledon title too! I somehow wouldn't give this award to Dementieva or Jankovic? Ivanovic is a close second one in my opinion!

OsloErik
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Is there a rule about most improved? Because Safina was a top 10 player in 2006, whereas Radwanska broke into the top 10 for the first time. I don't quite know how to reward both of them, but it seems odd to reward a player who was already in the upper echelons of tennis and is just returning a little stronger than before.

santhuruu
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
the most improved award needs to be renamed for Dianra. no contest :worship:

as for demented winning sportsmanship...puhleeze. that would be the joke of the year, especially not after that stunt she pulled during wimbledon. :rolleyes:

I was already waiting until someone would mention that of Dementieva:lol:

sunsfuns
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Caro, Alize and Domi are not newcomers - all three started the year well inside the top 100. I would give that award to Cirstea (started the year as #107) or Kvitova (#150)

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Serena has to win the POY award of course. She has had much better results. Ana has played 3 really good tournament this year but that's all. You can not win this award in this way even if you played 2 GS final.

Ana >>> Serena
GS results: W-F-R3-R2 >>> W-F-QF-R3
Titles in 08: 4 >>> 2
Record against Top10 players: 5-4 >>> 8-3
2008 Singles Record: 34-13 >>> 43-7
Year End Rank: probably #4 or #5 >>> probablyˇ#2 or #3
I think you mean the other way round. It's "<<<".:p
Besides, Serena won like 4 titles while Ana only 2. You messed up the fact.:p :hug:

sunsfuns
Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Actually I checked the records and rankings of all candidates for the newcomer of the year award and Cirstea ought to be an overwhelming favorites. Kleybanova is ranked few spots higher (might not be after this week), but Cirstea has won a title and she is younger than Alisa.

doni1212
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Player of the Year- Serena Williams
Doubles Team of the Year- Venus and Serena Williams
Most Improved Player- Dinara Safina
Newcomer of the Year- Caroline Wozniacki
Comeback Player of the Year- No one significant
Player Service- Jie Zheng
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award- Ana Ivanovic

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Player of the year: the one of Serena/Ana/Venus/Jelena who wins YEC, otherwise it's Serena
Doubles team of the year: who cares?
Most improved player: Safina
Newcomer of the year: Wozniacki, unfortunately...
Comeback player of The year: Jie Zheng without any doubts
Player Service: Jankovic
Sportsmanship Award: Venus Williams

bijoux
Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Is there a rule about most improved? Because Safina was a top 10 player in 2006, whereas Radwanska broke into the top 10 for the first time. I don't quite know how to reward both of them, but it seems odd to reward a player who was already in the upper echelons of tennis and is just returning a little stronger than before.

A little stronger? She was at one point ranked 17 this year and is now #2. She's won 3 Tier I events and made a slam final. She may have been in the top 10 before but she's improved tons since even then. I'm not even that big of a fan of her game but I think the one shoe in category this year has to be Safina winning most improved.

I think I would pick:

Player of the Year- Serena Williams. But if Jelena wins YEC I could see her getting it.
Doubles Team of the Year- Black and Huber
Most Improved Player- Dinara Safina
Newcomer of the Year- Caroline Wozniacki
Comeback Player of the Year- :confused: Jie Zheng
Player Service- Jie Zheng
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award- Svetlana Kuznetsova

Richie's
Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Player Of The Year:

Jelena Jankovic

Black/Huber

Most Improved Player:

Safina

Newcomer of the Year:

Wozniacki

Anna-Lena Groenefeld

Bartosh
Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Player Of The Year: Serena Williams
Doubles Team of the Year: Venus Williams/Serena Williams
Newcomer of the Year: Caroline Wozniacki
Comeback Player of the Year: Jie Zheng
Player Service: Jie Zheng
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award: Venus Williams

sunsfuns
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Folks, this is becoming silly - as much as I like Caroline she is by no means a newcomer!!!

That award is NOT given to folks who start the year in the top 70. Just check the previous winners...

janko
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Folks, this is becoming silly - as much as I like Caroline she is by no means a newcomer!!!
That award is NOT given to folks who start the year in the top 70. Just check the previous winners...

Totally agree:worship:

I like Alisa but Petra Kvitova or Sabine Lisicki are also in top50 but they defeated top10's, played well in FC and in GS, my vote goes to Petra.

sunsfuns
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I like Alisa but Petra Kvitova or Sabine Lisicki are also in top50 but they defeated top10's, played well in FC and in GS, my vote goes to Petra.

Why not Sorana? She is ranked higher than Sabine or Petra and also reached the top 100 only this year.

KournikovaFan91
Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Player Of The Year:

Serena Williams

Black/Huber:mad:

Most Improved Player:

Safina

Sportsmanship

Venus

Newcomer of the Year:

Kvitova

Anna-Lena Groenefeld

Malva
Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
A little stronger? She was at one point ranked 17 this year and is now #2. She's won 3 Tier I events and made a slam final. She may have been in the top 10 before but she's improved tons since even then. I'm not even that big of a fan of her game but I think the one shoe in category this year has to be Safina winning most improved.

This has nothing to do with the Most Improved category if she was a Top 10 before. Aren't some of you confusing the Most Impressive This Year with the Most Improved? The latter should be measuring the difference between the Current and the Former Best in the career, no matter when the latter occurred.

I still agree that Safina never played better but I simply have no recollections of her former best peak to make a proper judgment.

SharapovaFan16
Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I think Jelena has a much better care for player of the year than Serena Williams. I don't see how everyone is picking Serena? Quite honestly it shouldn't go to anybody. No one stood out this year and put their foot on the gas pedal at the opportunity Henin created. Jelena gets it by default minus a GS title.

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Player of the year: the one of Serena/Ana/Venus/Jelena who wins YEC, otherwise it's Serena
Doubles team of the year: who cares?
Most improved player: Safina
Newcomer of the year: Wozniacki, unfortunately...
Comeback player of The year: Jie Zheng without any doubts
Player Service: Jankovic
Sportsmanship Award: Venus Williams

Agree with most of this except for Wozniacki, and I like Wozniacki, but you can't give Caro the newcomer of the year award when she spent the last 6 months of 2007 in the top 100 and has been in the top 50 since January this year. The newcomer award is actually probably the the hardest one to chose with many deserving candidates, but really Kleybanova still has a pretty comfortable edge over the chasing pack of Kvitova, Suarez-Navarro, Makarova, Lisicki, Erakovic and my personal favourites Niculescu and Rybarikova. That is 8 players who all broke into the top 100 for the 1st time this year, many from outside the top 150, and who are all now inside the top 60. It really has been a great crop of newcomers this year.

Also a lot of people care about doubles actually and Black and Huber are pretty much a lock for this one.

saint2
Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Player Of The Year:

Serena Williams

don't watch doubles

Most Improved Player:

I have to say Safina... :o

Sportsmanship

what ?

Newcomer of the Year:

Kvitova or Cirstea. Depends who will finnish ranked higher...

Na Li counts ?

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
I don't really think one can count Sorana Cirstea as a newcomer either, although she didn't break into the top 100 until February this year. She won 8 matches on the WTA tour last year and played in 9 tournaments. For me that's too many. But if she is regarded as qualifying as a newcomer then she is definately a very formidable candidate and probably only Kleybanova is ahead of her.

Uranium
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
I think Jelena has a much better care for player of the year than Serena Williams. I don't see how everyone is picking Serena? Quite honestly it shouldn't go to anybody. No one stood out this year and put their foot on the gas pedal at the opportunity Henin created. Jelena gets it by default minus a GS title.

:spit:
JJ doesn't get it by default:o
That question should be answered after YEC.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Player of the year:
Serena Williams

:shrug: Huber/Black?

Most Improved Player:

Dinara Safina

Sportsmanship:

Venus Williams

Player Service:

Venus Williams

Newcomer of the Year:

Petra Kvitova

Jie Zheng

LeRoy.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Player of the year - Regardless of who wins YEC SHOULD BE Serena Williams

IceHock
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Player of the year- There hasn't been one, everyone has been up and down, the YEC will decide who gets it but the contenders for it are S. Williams, Jankovic, and Safina.

Most Improved- Has to go to Safina, she trimmed down, she got faster, and was the best player throughout the U.S Open series.

Comeback player of the year- Pennetta, I think she really turned it up this year after a completely dismal 2007, she had only 1 top 10 win and only 1 tournament win, and her results were terrible, now she's ranked number 14 with a very nice year and some good wins.

Newcomer of the year- Rybarikova

sunsfuns
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Could they give come back of the year award to Groenefeld? She is the only one to come back from well outside the top 100.

Cp6uja
Oct 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Could they give come back of the year award to Groenefeld? She is the only one to come back from well outside the top 100.Jie Zheng started season out of TOP150 and now is about #20.

Most controversal for this season is "Newcomer of The Year" because just litle different criteria produce different candidates.
Here is winners since 1995:

Season OLD, improvment - WINNER
2007 - 19yo, (207 => 20) - Agnes Szavay
2006 - 17yo, (381 => 56) - Agnieszka Radwanska
2005 - 19yo, (206 => 30) - Sania Mirza
2004 - 16yo, (345 => 27) - Tatiana Golovin
2003 - 16yo, (186 => 32) - Maria Sharapova
2002 - 17yo, (259 => 43) - Svetlana Kuznetsova
2001 - 18yo, (108 => 38) - Daniela Hantuchova
2000 - 17yo, (292 => 54) - Daja Bedanova
1999 - 16yo, (409 => 47) - Kim Clijsters
1998 - 17yo, ( 99 => 20) - Serena Williams
1997 - 17yo, (204 => 22) - Venus Williams
1996 - 15yo, (281 => 57) - Anna Kournikova
1995 - 15yo, ( 87 => 16) - Martina Hingis

Talking about Most Improved Player Safina profile maybe not looks exactly like casual MIP winner from past - but three times in last 4 seasons (Sharapova/04, Jankovic/06, Ivanovic/07) this award reach player which "explode" (very improve) in may/june and finished season with elite player status for first time.

hugo2004
Oct 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Too soon to determine the newcomer of the year. Michelle Larcher de Brito could come from top 300 right into de top 100 in one year. It depends on her result in the Bell Tournament in Canada.

Dawson.
Oct 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
On paper it looks like Kleybanova is going to win the newcomer award. Ranked 156 at the end of 2007, now 35.
Cirstea is also in with a great chance - 108 >> 39 with a title.
Kvitova 150 >> 44
Outside chance - Pavlyuchenkova 286 >> 67. I think this award is given to a player who the wta feel will be a future star (grand slam champ, #1 etc) and there is a clip of pavly on the wta site saying 'remember the name'. Whereas kleybanova, kvitova and cirstea have not had this hype surrounding them.

Gilardino
Oct 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Player Of The Year:

If Jankovich wins YEC - JJ
If not - Rena

black/huber

Most Improved Player:

Dinara Safina

Newcomer of the Year:

Caroline Wozniacki

Flavia Pennetta

Player Service:

Jie Zheng

Nadia Petrova

SAEKeithSerena
Oct 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
if serena wins, it's without a question (at the yec)

jankovic, without a slam, just CANNOT be player of the year. that's bullshi*.

so my vote would go to venus williams IF she does something at the yec.

they won't give it to maria because of her playing only part of the season, otherwise, i'd say her.

Sean.
Oct 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Player Of The Year: Dinara Safina
Newcomer of the Year: Laura Robson
Comeback Player of the Year: ALG
Player Service: Zheng
Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award: Kuznetsova

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't really think one can count Sorana Cirstea as a newcomer either, although she didn't break into the top 100 until February this year. She won 8 matches on the WTA tour last year and played in 9 tournaments. For me that's too many. But if she is regarded as qualifying as a newcomer then she is definately a very formidable candidate and probably only Kleybanova is ahead of her.

newcomer is anyone who hadnt been inside top 100 until this yr
its normally/always given to the one who finishes highest.

Mightymirza
Oct 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
POY depends highly on YEC :shrug:

enchantrezz
Oct 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
IMO, Safina's performance and results this year belongs to the Player of the Year category rather than the Most Improved Player.

But in the Player of the Year, Serena has the big edge over her.

Cp6uja
Oct 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Last WTA really competetive Week (with tier-II and tier-III) before last YEC tournament nothing changed except in "NEWCOMER" chaos race where Cirstea apply like newest contender and De Brito missing to reach TOP100 in Quebec - probably miss all chances to reach that award.

For Player of The Year award Ivanovic still needs to win YEC, otherwise Serena will win it again (after 2002). Most improve player should be Safina and her only serious contender Radwanska will not even compete at YEC. Na Li, Tanasugarn and ALG have some chances to improve their positions for "comeback" award, but waste, so i think Jie Zheng will reach that title.

sunsfuns
Oct 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
IMO, Safina's performance and results this year belongs to the Player of the Year category rather than the Most Improved Player.

That award is never given to slamless players. Period.

Only two contenders left - Ana and Serena. It will be Ana if she wins YEC, Serena if she does not.

Dawson.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
bump

On paper it looks like Kleybanova is going to win the newcomer award. Ranked 156 at the end of 2007, now 35.
Cirstea is also in with a great chance - 108 >> 39 with a title.
Kvitova 150 >> 44
Outside chance - Pavlyuchenkova 286 >> 67. I think this award is given to a player who the wta feel will be a future star (grand slam champ, #1 etc) and there is a clip of pavly on the wta site saying 'remember the name'. Whereas kleybanova, kvitova and cirstea have not had this hype surrounding them.

Pavly just boosted her chances of winning the newcomer award by winning $100+H Bratislava. Now 286 >> 45 :eek:
Another $100+H next week, which if she wins, could she her ranked about 43 in the world.

Ana4ever
Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Player Of The Year:Ana Ivanovic

Doubles Team of the Year:Black/Huber

Most Improved Player:

Dinara Safina
Newcomer of the Year:

Casey Dellacqua

Jelena Dokic

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
bump

Pavly just boosted her chances of winning the newcomer award by winning $100+H Bratislava. Now 286 >> 45 :eek:
Another $100+H next week, which if she wins, could she her ranked about 43 in the world.

Yeah, there have been so many contenders this yeah and it has been really tight but I think Nastya's results the last couple of weeks probably do tip the newcomer award into her hands. In a year with so many good candidates for the newcomer of the new award I think she probably does deserve it more than anyone else.

sunsfuns
Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, there have been so many contenders this yeah and it has been really tight but I think Nastya's results the last couple of weeks probably do tip the newcomer award into her hands. In a year with so many good candidates for the newcomer of the new award I think she probably does deserve it more than anyone else.

I don't think so. Not enough of her success has been at WTA level. I would still vote for Cirstea or Wozniak.

propi
Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Carla for newcomer of the year! :bounce:
Her performance in Roland Garros was incredible :worship:
Plus she got a very important role for SPanish team in Fed Cup vs China on hard :worship:
Comeback of the year: Date by far :worship:

Dawson.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
I don't think so. Not enough of her success has been at WTA level. I would still vote for Cirstea or Wozniak.

21 year old Wozniak, who has reached the top 100 and a wta final prior to this year hardly counts as a 'newcomer'. She falls into the 'most improved' category, which if it wasn't for Safina, she may well have won.

sunsfuns
Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
21 year old Wozniak, who has reached the top 100 and a wta final prior to this year hardly counts as a 'newcomer'. She falls into the 'most improved' category, which if it wasn't for Safina, she may well have won.

Yeah, you are right - I overlooked her 2006 results. Then it ought to be Cirstea. She is ranked few spots below Kleybanova, but has won a title and is younger than Alisa.

Cp6uja
Nov 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
2008 Awards:

Player of The Year: Serena Williams
(alternates: A.Ivanovic, J.Jankovic, V.Williams)

(alternates: A.Radwanska, C.Wozniacki, F.Penneta)

Doubles Team of the Year: C.Black/L.Huber
(alternates: V.Williams/S.Williams, A.Medina/R.Pascual)

Comeback Of The Year: Jie Zheng
(alternates: Na Li, T.Tanasugarn, M.Domachowska)

For other three categories (newcomer, sportmanship, player service) is still very hard to say.

Cp6uja
Mar 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP)—Serena Williams has been voted the WTA Tour player of the year for the second time.

Williams also received the award for 2002. She won the U.S. Open in September and ended last year ranked No. 1.

Dinara Safina was selected most improved player for 2008, and Zheng Jie was chosen comeback player of the year. Top-ranked Cara Black and Liezel Huber were chosen doubles team of the year for the second time.

Caroline Wozniacki was selected newcomer of the year. Ana Ivanovic was chosen humanitarian of the year for her work and contributions to UNICEF, and Elena Dementieva was honored with the Karen Krantzcke sportsmanship award.

Williams was the only winner not to attend a ceremony Thursday at the Sony Ericsson Open to honor the award winners. She released a statement through the WTA Tour.

“Winning the player of the year award for the second time in my career is a great personal achievement,” Williams said. “I feel great about my game and hope to win many more player of the year titles in the years to come.”
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/989/82bba85bb6bcb3af1dd0f7e.jpg

Player Of The Year:

4 slams, 4 different winners this season, but Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic together with GS title reach also another slam final unlike Venus and Maria (both without semis at other three slams) and also Venus is "without results" in 1st half of season and Maria in 2nd.

So whatever will happen before end of season only two contenders have chances for most prestiguos WTA Award. Except GS Title and Final both contenders wins one tier-I two-weekers (Serena Miami, Ana Indian Wells), but Serena also wins tier-I Charleston. Serena is current leader and to overtake her at end Ana Ivanovic must to win YEC Championship in Doha, or atleast reach Doha final with Tokyo tier-I title (with extra condition that Serena will not wins at Tokyo or Moscow or YEC Doha).

If we look at current YEC Doubles Team race after last 2008 Grand Slam where Huber/Black lead about double points more than 2nd Medina/Pascual (5400 vs 2700) it seems that is very easy to choose best doubles team for this season... but actualy is not like that. 10th ranked 2008 doubles team Williams/Williams played just three tournaments so far, but won Wimbledon and Olympics - and in tennis Olympics is unique tournament where doubles title have almost same value like singles title (gold=gold) and also Olympics Doubles gold actualy is more prestiguos than GS Doubles title. So Black/Huber if we count majors only have just US Open and sisters Wimbledon and Beijing Olympics. But because this is WTA, not ITF awards, i think Huber/Black will win again this title like last season.

Most Improved Player:

Before may it seems that Agnieska Radwanska is only serious contender, but than happen "miracle" with Dinara Safina which remind on same thing which happen with last season MIP winner Ana Ivanovic since may of 2007. Grand Slam final, Olympics silver and two tier-I titles with TOP5 ranking is more than enough for former just solid TOP20 player to reach this award.

Newcomer of the Year:

Caroline Wozniacki lead right now ahead Alize Cornet and crucial moment when she overtake her is their New Haven SF when Caro won and day after reach tier-II title. Except Cornet, player which also still have some chances to overtake Wozniacki for this award is Cibulkova but she needs some much better results in last 2 months of season than Danish.

Fact that last season Lindsay reach this award, not Serena which won Australian Open ranked out of TOP80 suggest that this award is more about "comeback after long PAUSE" than "comeback after BAD RESULTS". So i think this award for 2008 season will go to China. Because Na Li lose that bronze medal match, right now Jie Zheng is more close than Na Li... but Li still have September and October to improve more.

Player Service:

I think Jie Zheng most deserve this award for 2008 because her Wimbledon semifinal money prize donation to Earthquake victims in her country (she is from that China's province). One other Asian, Sania Mirza, also deserve to be mentouned because menaged on right way all pressure and dirty campaign from some extremists in her country against her.

2008 is Olympics year in sport and i think that player which more than any other represents Olympics spirit in tennis is great sportsmen Elena Dementieva. In past maybe irritate her opponents litle bit often "toalet break" pauses when opponent lead in 2nd or 3rd set but she change that only objection from past this season, so now she is "perfect sportsmen". Also, last season winner Ana Ivanovic stay same nice girl from past even when reach #1 and 1st GS title this season and dont have problems to give some credit even to players out of TOP50 or TOP100 which upset her.

IMO©

OMG only awarded player which I not predict properly week after US Open 2008 (Sep 8, Opening Post) was... Ana Ivanovic :tape: :tape: :tape:.
So I don't want to hear anything in next 12 months that I'm always biased about Ana :(

Hardiansf
Mar 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
OMG only awarded player which I not predict properly week after US Open 2008 (Sep 8, Opening Post) was... Ana Ivanovic :tape: :tape: :tape:.
So I don't want to hear anything in next 12 months that I'm always biased about Ana :(
Cp6uja :worship:

Wiggly
Mar 27th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Dementieva also wins the Hottest woman attending that ceremony Award.

Pasta-Na
Mar 27th, 2009, 02:24 AM
little jie :woohoo:

TennisViewer531
Mar 27th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Congratulations to the winners!

Dawson.
Mar 27th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I didn't think Wozniacki was eligable for newcomer of the year? Oh well, that's a nice suprise that she won! :D:D Congrats to Serena :yeah: I thought JJ was going to get it for ending the year #1 :ras: but soo glad she didn't :p

Christinawww
Mar 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM
wow Cp6uja. Nice predictions.