PDA

View Full Version : Most Hardcourt Grand Slam singles titles of all-time

Sam L
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Steffi Graf - 9
Serena Williams - 8 (3 on Decoturf, 3 on Rebound Ace and 2 on Plexicushion)
Monica Seles - 6
Martina Hingis - 4
Martina Navratilova - 4

Closing in now. Can she get there?

Margaret Court holds most Grand Slam titles on grass - 19* (includes pre-Open era, Martina Navratilova holds the record in Open Era with 12)
Chris Evert holds most Grand Slam titles on clay - 10

These records are unlikely to ever be beaten. But the above could go.

Dodoboy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Serena :worship:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
If she could stay healthy for the next few years, it's definitely possible.:)

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Holy crap :eek:

Well I know she'll be a HUGE favorite for the AO, so :shrug: it's certainly possible that she could surpass that record in the next 3-4 years if she stays healthy/motivated.

Dodoboy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
She is definitely the favourite for AO. It is a long way away so who knows what could happen.

Maybe other girls could find some form.

She has that ODD YEAR title to defend ;)

Vlover
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well the "expert" Tracy believes Maria is the best hard court player even with Serena's 5 Miami titles. Also not to mention that Maria deserves to be #1 more than any other.:lol:

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well the "expert" Tracy believes Maria is the best hard court player even with Serena's 5 Miami titles. Also not to mention that Maria deserves to be #1 more than any other.:lol:

Where did you hear that? :lol: I thought Tracy did an excellent job commentating this year for the USA channel. I usually don't like her, but I thought she was more informative about the players and matches. She does great play by play.

Vlover
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Where did you hear that? :lol: I thought Tracy did an excellent job commentating this year for the USA channel. I usually don't like her, but I thought she was more informative about the players and matches. She does great play by play.

Some :bs: she wrote as usual and someone posted it here. Anyway in the first night of coverage she was going on about how Maria can handle the pressure of #1.:rolleyes: The only reason she did better is because Maria didn't play therefore that saved us from her constant nauseating ass kissing.:help: Anyway I hope that is the last I ever hear from her again.

BTW Thanks Serena for giving Tracy such a wonderful send off present by winning both the trophy and the #1 spot.:bounce: You guys should also send copies of those pictures in NYC.:lol:

Dave.
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Some :bs: she wrote as usual and someone posted it here. Anyway in the first night of coverage she was going on about how Maria can handle the pressure of #1.:rolleyes: The only reason she did better is because Maria didn't play therefore that saved us from her constant nauseating ass kissing.:help: Anyway I hope that is the last I ever hear from her again.

BTW Thanks Serena for giving Tracy such a wonderful send off present by winning both the trophy and the #1 spot.:bounce: You guys should also send copies of those pictures in NYC.:lol:

Is she stopping?

I think Tracy Austin was an excellent commentator before Sharapova came along. IMO she knew alot about the game and was fair to the players. Since Sharapova came on tour she became ridiculously biased. It's a shame really.

Lulu.
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM
She can definitely get there and pass that record.

Australian Open 2009 is coming up. :)

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:35 PM
That would be such a remarkable achievement, one that could stand the test of time.

Vlover
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=dave.;14025770]Is she stopping?

The USA network she worked for will not be covering the USO next year, therefore I'm praying ESPN doesn't hire her. They already have Mary Jo and Pam.:tape:

~{X}~
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:16 AM
If your counting the AO as Hardcourt, then Seles should have 6, not 5.

4 Australian Opens (1991,1992,1993,1996)
2 US Opens (1991,1992)

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:00 AM
she'll do it.

friendsita
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM
break this too Ree

Sam L
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Bump! So close now. I'm pretty sure she's going to get it. :D

Thanx4nothin
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Serena is now 5th in total slams won in the open era of all time

1. Steffi
2. Evert/Navratilova
4. Court
5. Serena.

And sheis only 1 behind leveling court.

Sam L
Feb 1st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hardcourt Queen. :lol:

bandabou
Feb 1st, 2010, 08:00 AM
Yep..hardcourt queen! :woohoo:

Nicolás89
Feb 1st, 2010, 03:40 PM

Was there any provocation for these posts? Or you just enjoy to hate randomly?

Olórin
Feb 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
She'll get it.

doni1212
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Awesome! Keep pushing and working hard Serena!! :yeah:

jefrilibra
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Come on Serena. You can do it!

Lulu.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
:cool:

sweetpeas
Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
:wavey::worship::):D:cool::wavey::bounce::bounce:: kiss::lol:

kiwifan
Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
She is definitely the favourite for AO. It is a long way away so who knows what could happen.

Maybe other girls could find some form.

She has that ODD YEAR title to defend ;)

:explode: :lol: damn, the people will never be satisfied with my, Mama Smash. :sad:

Brooklyn90
Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:34 AM
1 more to tie Graf :yeah:

The Witch-king
Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
One surface wonder :crazy:

laurie
Feb 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM

Eh???

solo
Feb 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Steffi Graf - 9
Serena Williams - 8 (3 on Decoturf, 3 on Rebound Ace and 2 on Plexicushion)
Monica Seles - 6
Martina Hingis - 4
Martina Navratilova - 4

Closing in now. Can she get there?

Margaret Court holds most Grand Slam titles on grass - 19* (includes pre-Open era, Martina Navratilova holds the record in Open Era with 12)
Chris Evert holds most Grand Slam titles on clay - 10

These records are unlikely to ever be beaten. But the above could go.

Martina Hingis - 4
:bounce::bounce:

SerenaSlam
Feb 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM

sometimes i question that age and education level of many. its my understanding that a one surface wonder would mean there is only one surface that one person is winning on. that is correct? having said that. to maintain a different level of maturity with the board it might be feasible to explain what you meant. Because with Serena having won a Grand Slam in singles and doubles on every surface. Im not sure what the fuck your talking about :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

BlameSerena
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Serena can definitely do this. One to go before she ties Graf :).

Arnian
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Serena will break this record for sure

The Witch-king
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Eh???

all i can say is eh eh (cherry cherry boom boom)

The Witch-king
Feb 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
sometimes i question that age and education level of many. its my understanding that a one surface wonder would mean there is only one surface that one person is winning on. that is correct? having said that. to maintain a different level of maturity with the board it might be feasible to explain what you meant. Because with Serena having won a Grand Slam in singles and doubles on every surface. Im not sure what the fuck your talking about :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:shrug:
are u the guy who does the Diary of Serena Williams blog?

Olórin
Feb 6th, 2010, 09:58 PM
The first major grand slam tournament played on hard court surface was the 1978 US Open. It remained the only hard court grand slam event until 1988 when the Australian Open became the second major grand slam tournament played on hardcourt.

Hardcourt grand slam tournaments didn't exist until the Open Era.

Well done. Im giving you an A- for using Wikipedia so accurately :)
Next time we're going to work on applying your knowledge.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
The first major grand slam tournament played on hard court surface was the 1978 US Open. It remained the only hard court grand slam event until 1988 when the Australian Open became the second major grand slam tournament played on hardcourt.

and that's Serena's fault because.....:shrug:

The Dawntreader
Feb 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Graf's achievements are amazing.

Denise4925
Feb 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Well done. Im giving you an A- for using Wikipedia so accurately :)
Next time we're going to work on applying your knowledge.

:lol::lol::lol:

Denise4925
Feb 8th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Great on-topic contribution to this thread. I'm getting used to that sort of participation from you. Have you ever played tennis on a hardcourt surface?

Oh get over yourself. :rolleyes: Don't be so sensitive. If you're going to post here, you should grow a thicker skin. But, I'm glad you're getting used to that sort of participation from me, since you'll have to get used to it from others as well. I'm good training ground.

Anyway, yes I have played tennis on a hardcourt surface. In fact, that is the only surface I've ever played on.

Arnian
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Oh get over yourself. :rolleyes: Don't be so sensitive. If you're going to post here, you should grow a thicker skin. But, I'm glad you're getting used to that sort of participation from me, since you'll have to get used to it from others as well. I'm good training ground.

Anyway, yes I have played tennis on a hardcourt surface. In fact, that is the only surface I've ever played on.

poor Denise!
You never got the experience of playing on clay? It's so much fun ^_^ and you get to slide ;)

Denise4925
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM
poor Denise!
You never got the experience of playing on clay? It's so much fun ^_^ and you get to slide ;)

I don't know of any clay courts where I live. :shrug:

Arnian
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I don't know of any clay courts where I live. :shrug:

I'm sure there are some, somewhere!

Denise4925
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I'm sure there are some, somewhere!

I don't think so.

Arnian
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I don't think so.

What state do you live in girl, Alaska!?

Denise4925
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:34 AM
What state do you live in girl, Alaska!?

Texas.

Arnian
Feb 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Texas.

I'm sure they have them, I know they do in Arizona :haha:

The Witch-king
Feb 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
poor Denise!

what's fun about it besides the sliding?

Arnian
Feb 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
what's fun about it besides the sliding?

The difference in the bounces, clay is also more sporadic too when it comes to ball bounces. The manipulation you can get on the ball with clay is fun too. It's just very different and that's why I think it's fun.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Most records like these are a sign of their times. Evert happened to be competing at her peak during the US Open when it briefly moved onto clay for three years. That doesn't take anything away from her clay court greatness as she holds the French Open record with seven anyway.

Court won a heck of a lot on grass because she won a heck of a lot at the Australian Open when it used to be on grass. When it comes to women's grand slam singles tennis records, anything with Court and Australian Open just can't be beaten. Personally I find Helen Wills who comes in second with fifteen, more impressive as she won hers at only two grand slams. Martina Navratilova won twelve also at two grand slams. EDIT: And yes I know Court with her two best grass court slams still comes in at sixteen but like I said, if you include her Australian wins she's head and shoulders above everyone.

Interestingly, unless if any of the Grand Slams change their surfaces, the only record that can be actively broken is the one on hard courts. The player who holds that record (Graf) didn't experience any disadvantage in gaining that record. So Serena Williams now challenging her for that record only legitimizes the fact that the race is on for the best since the 80s. 80s was also the beginning of the end of wood racquets. So really, it's for greatness in this new era of tennis.

sammy01
Feb 11th, 2010, 08:49 AM

this puts things in more prespective. thanks.