PDA

View Full Version : Jelena vs Elena: Who will break the "bridesmaid" curse 1st?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
These 2 are the most undeserving "bridesmaid" in tennis at the moment - both are great players, and have been in Slam finals... but ended up as runner-ups.

Who do you think will break this unfortunate curse 1st? :confused:

markdelaney
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think Dementieva will ever win a grand slam as sometimes she looks like a player that shouldn't even be in the top 50. The retirement of Justine and the indifferent form of the Williams sisters gives these girls a glimmer of hope, when in reality both are just players who you would expect to see ranked between 5 and 8. I'd give Jankovic a chance to do it first but for either to win, it would need the top players out of the game or off form.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
You've already asked this same question before.

Jankovic will win a slam, Dementieva won't. [/expect90%ofthethreadtosaythis]

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Dinara?:shrug:

miffedmax
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
That's why Yonex makes Lena wear such ugly dresses. So the bridesmaid won't outshine the bride.

ShimSham
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
That's why Yonex makes Lena wear such ugly dresses. So the bridesmaid won't outshine the bride.
That is cruel but very funny at the same time. :D

urklerlay
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
neither will win a GS unless they can improve their serve and make it into a consistent weapon.

MarieC
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Jelena has a much better chance to win a slam then Elena

SM
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
JELENA for sure...she made a match out of it against serena who was in form and she could have won that final if she played a few key points better....serena totally deserved it tho im not taking anything from her, shes a champ

saint2
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
No one of them.

Edinboro
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Both have equal oppurtunities. I think the bigger question is, what are some great top 10 players that will most likely never win a slam?

Id go with with Hantuchova, Chakvetadze, and Schnyder.

Jankovic and Dementieva have better chances that the other three.

TheFifthAvocado
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Jelena.

Kworb
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Jelena. But then Elena afterwards. :dance:

Volcana
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Jana Novotna won Wimbledon at 29. Nothing is impossible. But Novotna was a player who's style fit Wimbledon so perfectly that her finally winning was more relief than success. She was supposed to win Wimbledon. Neither Jankovic nor Dementieva is so perfectly suited to a single tournament.

Dementieva's misfortune was to be the 6th best player of a generation of great but mostly not 'all-time great' players. Serena, Venus, Henin, Hingis, Clijsters .... and while Davenport is really a generation ahead, she was still making slam finals when Dementieva was already 24. How often does the seventh best player on tour win a slam?

Dementieva has already played 40 slams. In fact, she's never missed one. And 31 times she didn't even make the QFs. Jankovic has played half as many slams, and advanced to the QFs or better just as many times.

I have to give this one to JJ.

2008 - Dubai, Olympics;
2007 - Istanbul, Moscow;
2006 - Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Los Angeles;
2004 - Hasselt;
2003 - Amelia Island, Bali, Shanghai;

Danči Dementia
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Elena :D

miss_molik
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:51 AM
jelena

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:05 AM
jelena no question. she very nearly won this one. i hope she works on her serve.

AnomyBC
Sep 10th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Dinara?:shrug:

Yeah, what about Dinara? She's been to a final now too!

incognito
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Jana Novotna won Wimbledon at 29. Nothing is impossible. But Novotna was a player who's style fit Wimbledon so perfectly that her finally winning was more relief than success. She was supposed to win Wimbledon. Neither Jankovic nor Dementieva is so perfectly suited to a single tournament.
Jankovic's style fits the FO clay pretty darn good, with Henin gone I would be very surprised if she wouldn't grab at least one FO in the coming years. The only other top player that really excels at the FO is Ivanovic, all other top players play either roughly the same or worse on clay compared to other surfaces...

Dexter
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Safina.

Serenita
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
JJ by far, Demented don't have a champs mentality, if she do get in a final she'll crumble under the presurre.
JJ on the other hand will be in her element and will do anything to win it.

incognito
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
As for Safina, I'd hold my judgement until she proves she can maintain her current form over the course of a full season, IMO it's still too early to judge...

ShimSham
Jun 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
No one of them.
It's looking more likely that neither will ever win, but Jelena has more chances.

Temperenka
Jun 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Eh, neither. Their best chances have passed them by in the last few slams. Now, Maria is back.. Svetlana is playing better, Dinara is clawing, the WS are existing, and young guns like Vika and Caro are starting to make their runs. It appears that Jelena and Elena have doomed themselves into the status of long-lasting bridesmaids.

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
dinara then jelena
elena is a distant third

HenryMag.
Jun 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Elena will never win a Slam...I learnt to live with that in the past months. She has the olympic gold and that's what really matters to her, so I guess I must accept.

charlieluvtennis
Jun 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hopefully Jelena will win a slam :)

delicatecutter
Jun 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
The prospects are looking bleaker with each passing Slam. :help: