PDA

View Full Version : Which Slams will the Williamses win in 2009?

grudpill
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I think the last 2 grand slams have pretty much confirmed the suspicion that with Justine Henin gone, and Maria Sharapova having serious injury issues, and Ana Ivanovic being an overhyped talent, the 2nd era of Williams domination looks not only possible, but probable.

Venus and Serena's biggest threats at Grand Slam level are each other. At the moment, no one else even comes close. The newer generation don't have the firepower to take them out. Dinara Safina can win as many non-Slam titles as she wants, but as Serena showed her in the semis, she's still got a ways to before being able to take out a Williams deep into a slam.

Anyway, for the past 2 years, Venus and Serena have won at least 1 slam each. I think they may be ready to up the ante in 2009. I think at least 3 slams will be won by a Williams sister.

For Venus, I'm predicting; Australian Open, Wimbledon

For Serena; US Open

The French will be a crap shoot. A Williams sister could win it, but I believe it's probably Dinara Safina's best chance of winning a slam.

starred06
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Venus: US Open
Serena: AO, Wimbledon?

I always feel like Venus should have won more US Open, she is so solid when she plays there. Has anyone noticed that she has never ever failed to reach the 2nd week in the US Open? I don't think any other active players have that record at a Slam.

Tennisstar86
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I can easily see them winning them all...
Venus: AO, Wimbledon,
Serena: FO,

US: Serena?, Jelena?, Venus?

grudpill
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Venus: US Open
Serena: AO, Wimbledon?

I always feel like Venus should have won more US Open, she is so solid when she plays there. Has anyone noticed that she has never ever failed to reach the 2nd week in the US Open? I don't think any other active players have that record at a Slam.

Totally agree. She always gets a terrible draw, runs into an on-fire player (Henin, Clijsters, Serena) in the quarters or semis, and they usually go on to win the whole thing. If you beat Venus in a US Open, you'll probably win the whole thing. She's like the test the eventual winners have to pass. That's frustrating.

The most irritating thing, is that in all those losses, she was playing well enough to win the whole thing. I'd be less bothered if her form on those occassions was shaky or average, but it wasn't. And one never knows what Venus form will be like, so when she is in great form, it's disappointing that it's not converted into a grand slam title.

Hopefully next year, she doesn't get a draw that pits her against someone like Serena in the quarters or semis. If she gets into a final, she'll be difficult to beat.

sonnys
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Them All :drool:;)

Highlandman
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Venus: Wimbledon for sure and also Australian Open, 'cause she finally wants to win them. She also has good chances in NY of course.

Serena: Also best chances AO & US Open.

Both COULD also win RG, but there is the field wider for the players with best chances.

grudpill
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Venus: Wimbledon for sure and also Australian Open, 'cause she finally wants to win them. She also has good chances in NY of course.

Serena: Also best chances AO & US Open.

Both COULD also win RG, but there is the field wider for the players with best chances.

Sounds about right:)

DarkchildSwiss
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Serena: Australian Open and US Open
Venus: French Open and Wimbledon

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
serena- RG and wimbly
venus- USO

LUXXXAS
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
all?

frenchie
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Venus never plays well in the first part of the year so I think she can win Wimbledon and the USO

AO is for Serena, maybe RG too

tennnisfannn
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Serena has to win the AO every second year just as maria has to win a slam every two years, it is the law of the universe

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hmmm...Wimbledon for Vee...Serena oz and/or u.s.open

AcesHigh
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I think the last 2 grand slams have pretty much confirmed the suspicion that with Justine Henin gone, and Maria Sharapova having serious injury issues, and Ana Ivanovic being an overhyped talent, the 2nd era of Williams domination looks not only possible, but probable.

Venus and Serena's biggest threats at Grand Slam level are each other. At the moment, no one else even comes close. The newer generation don't have the firepower to take them out.

This is the biggest load of horsesh!t I've read today. No need to disrespect the field.
What was Serena's excuse at the Olympics, AO and RG? She didn't even have to face anyone until the final at Wimbledon
Same with Venus? What's her excuse for the entire year outside of Wimbledon.

Venus still only has 1 title this year btw.

Can they dominate? sure. But are there any signs of domination? No, not yet. If Serena wins YEC or wins a few more titles before the end of the year, maybe.

That being said, I expect them both to be favorites for Wimbledon/USO again next year but to be in the running with everyone else at AO/RG.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
This is the biggest load of horsesh!t I've read today. No need to disrespect the field.
What was Serena's excuse at the Olympics, AO and RG? She didn't even have to face anyone until the final at Wimbledon

Can they dominate? sure. But are there any signs of domination? No, not yet. If Serena wins YEC or wins a few more titles before the end of the year, maybe.

That being said, I expect them both to be favorites for Wimbledon/USO again next year but to be in the running with everyone else at AO/RG.

Agree with everything, except I think Serena will be the easy favourite for the AO.:kiss:

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hopefully Serena can finally win the Big W again beating Venus in another blockbuster final :drool: I really think Serena will go all out for Wimbledon next year.

I would say apart from Wimbledon, we definitely shouldn't start counting our chickens at this stage. Serena needs to maintain the momentum she will gain from this win and Venus needs to start playing well in tier ones and tier twos again otherwise she will always be short of big match confidence at every slam bar Wimbledon.

kwilliams
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I think they (if fit and healthy) will be favourites for Wimbledon and the US Open again next year (Venus a favourite for Wimbledon irrespective of form). I think the other two slams will depend more on form but you never know with the sisters...they could definitely surprise us.

I think some people may be writing off the other players a bit too much though. I'm the first to say that no one on the tour compares to the sisters but they can still win big, especially if the sisters have an off day!

MarieC
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
They will be the favorites at the AO, Wimbledon, and USO. RG will be the only one they won't dominate at

grudpill
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Are you illiterate? I said that currently, Venus and Serena's biggest threat at GRAND SLAM level are each other. Not tier 1 level, Olympics ect.

I based that on the play and results of the last 2 grand slams (Olympics are prestigious, but the aren't slams. It's scheduled more like a Masters Event). They contested the Wimbledon final against each other. And Venus came the closest to beating Serena in this year's US Open. It was obvious to everyone that the winner of that quarter final would win the whole thing. It happened to be Serena, but it easily could have been Venus. In the last 2 slams, they've been each other's most serious obstacle. What about that is hard to understand?

I never once mentioned anything about other titles or YEC. That's your thing. I honestly don't even think Venus cares that much about any other titles, other than Slams. Both of them have their legacies to worry about, and ultimately, it Slams that count. I'm sure Safina would trade all those tier 1 hardcourt titles for Venus' lone Wimbledon.

I absolutely believe Venus can go through next season being beaten in every non-slam event, and still win at least 2 slams. She just seems to be hardwired to use other tournaments as an excuse to gain match fitness.

I already pointed out that the French is the least likely slam for either WS to win, since clay isn't best suited for their games. Other than that, I favor them for the 3 other slams.

adeegee
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Serena will win all 4.

Venus will win nothing.

sammy01
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
venus - none

serena - oz, wimbledon, us open.

this is providing serena is fit and intrested. i think serena will beat venus at both wimbledon and the us open next year.

InsideOut.
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Are you illiterate? I said that currently, Venus and Serena's biggest threat at GRAND SLAM level are each other. Not tier 1 level, Olympics ect.

He was talking about AO and RG.

grudpill
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM

No, he was talking about everything, including Masters tournaments, Tier 1 an 2 tournaments, clay tournaments, US Open series, YEC, Olympics and Slams.

I was only talking about slams. I think in at least 3 of the slams, in the currently depleted field, Venus and Serena will be each other's biggest obstacle. It's not even close to being a controversial statement, and it's not disrespecting the field either. The WS have won half of the grand slams for the past 2 years, and that was when Henin was at her best, and Sharapova wasn't badly injured. It's hardly a stretch to think they can dominate at least 3 of the slams.

In my original post, I acknowledged that Roland Garros was the one slam where they wouldn't be favored to dominate the field (heck, I even said Dinara Safina was most likely to win RG next year).

Venus result in the Australian Open (Quarter-Final)was very good, considering how slowly she usually starts the year. She got taken out by a confident Ivanovic (who later won the French Open), whose game seems to have gone backwards since she won her first slam. I expect she can improve on her quarter final result on current form, and Serena is a multiple Aussie champion. No brainer.

Sander.
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM
AO: Serena
Wimbledon: Venus

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Serena - Aussie and/or US Open
Venus - Wimbledon

and I know it wasn't asked but Dinara Safina - French

CoolDude7
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
AO: maria loves this surface(with serena recenting winning, I see Maria wanting it more
FO: Without Hen it will be Open as usual. Look for good runs from Safina, Dem, JJ, and Ana.
Wimbledon: Venus or Serena. Venus has won this so many times, you would think it's time for a change next year???
U.S.Open: Serena, JJ, or Venus. It really is a toss up

Slutiana
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Venus and Serena's biggest threats at Grand Slam level are each other. At the moment, no one else even comes close. The newer generation don't have the firepower to take them out. Dinara Safina can win as many non-Slam titles as she wants, but as Serena showed her in the semis, she's still got a ways to before being able to take out a Williams deep into a slam.

Anyway, for the past 2 years, Venus and Serena have won at least 1 slam each. I think they may be ready to up the ante in 2009. I think at least 3 slams will be won by a Williams sister.

For Serena; US Open

The French will be a crap shoot. A Williams sister could win it, but I believe it's probably Dinara Safina's best chance of winning a slam.
I think Venus and Serena showed their Dominance at this tournament. Had Venus been on the other side of the draw she would have almost certainly got to the final. However, this is just one tournament and they both have been lacking that consistency, both losing matches at the olympics which they really should have won, and that was probably because of the lack of matchplay though. The olympics was almost like a US Open warmup...

Anyway, I agree with what you said: Venus AO, Wimbly and Serena the USO. Obviously Venus will have to get over that mental block which she has over Serena but I don't think that she will have as horrible a start to the season as she had this year. I think her game has slowly come into place the last few months and I think it will stay this way.

venus - none

serena - oz, wimbledon, us open.

this is providing serena is fit and intrested. i think serena will beat venus at both wimbledon and the us open next year.
You obviously didnt see the WImbledon final this year. :rolls:

As for the FO I think a certain 20 year old Frenchwoman will win it. :angel:

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I pray to God in the heavens it happens :drool:

serenus_2k8
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
They will be the favorites at the AO, Wimbledon, and USO. RG will be the only one they won't dominate at

I agree, though no doubt is Ree were to win AO, and perhaps Miami, she would go in as the favourite, again!

I dont see how you can argue they wont be the favourites for Wimb and USO when neither dropped a set at their respective slam win.

Kunal
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
rena is gonna take the australian and french

dunno bout the rest

Becool
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
win in paris again serena!!!!!!!!!!!

AcesHigh
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM

I based that on the play and results of the last 2 grand slams (Olympics are prestigious, but the aren't slams. It's scheduled more like a Masters Event). They contested the Wimbledon final against each other. And Venus came the closest to beating Serena in this year's US Open. It was obvious to everyone that the winner of that quarter final would win the whole thing. It happened to be Serena, but it easily could have been Venus. In the last 2 slams, they've been each other's most serious obstacle. What about that is hard to understand?

I never once mentioned anything about other titles or YEC. That's your thing. I honestly don't even think Venus cares that much about any other titles, other than Slams. Both of them have their legacies to worry about, and ultimately, it Slams that count. I'm sure Safina would trade all those tier 1 hardcourt titles for Venus' lone Wimbledon.

I absolutely believe Venus can go through next season being beaten in every non-slam event, and still win at least 2 slams. She just seems to be hardwired to use other tournaments as an excuse to gain match fitness.

I already pointed out that the French is the least likely slam for either WS to win, since clay isn't best suited for their games. Other than that, I favor them for the 3 other slams.

I was talking about AO, RG, Wimby, USO and everything else. How are the other players not a threat? Serena lost in the QF of AO and 3r of RG and at Wimbledon she didn't face anyone significant except Vee and Venus still has not shown any slam-winning capabilities outside of Wimbledon even though I'm a huge fan.

All I'm saying is there is no sign that the WS will dominate the slams next year. Neither has won two slams in a year since 2003. If we're talking about just slams? then Serena hasnt had a much better year than say.. Ana Ivanovic. I just don't appreciate how you just dismiss the rest of the field since Sharapova, Ivanovic, Venus and Serena all have 1 slam this year with no player exhibiting any domination over the calendar year.

doni1212
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Serena- AO, FO
Venus- Wimb, U.S.

Uranium
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Serena- AO, FO
Venus- Wimb, U.S.

I want the exact opposite:p

DemWilliamsGulls
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I dont know...we will just have to wait and see how fit they are early in January...but i'll take a bite at who might will win...here are my top choices

Australian: 1. Serena, 2. Sharapova 3. Jankovic
French: 1. Ivanovic, 2. Jankovic 3. Serena
Wimbledon 1. Venus 2. Serena 3. Sharapova
U.S. Open 1. Venus 2. Serena, 3. Sharapova

Il Primo!
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I dont know...we will just have to wait and see how fit they are early in January...but i'll take a bite at who might will win...here are my top choices

Australian: 1. Serena, 2. Sharapova 3. Jankovic
French: 1. Ivanovic, 2. Jankovic 3. Serena
Wimbledon 1. Venus 2. Serena 3. Sharapova
U.S. Open 1. Venus 2. Serena, 3. Sharapova

I almost agree. I'd just switch Serena and Maria for Wimbledon though ;)

Dave.
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
If Ana plays anything like she did at this year's AO, she is the firm favourite for the title (along with Jankovic). Serena did not seem her most comfortable on the plexicushion.

Venus is obviously the favourite for Wimbledon, even if she has another belowpar start to the year.

If Serena is to win a slam next year, it's either Wimbledon or the USO.

I think this year has shown it's very hard to dominate the tour, and it's tough to say Serena or Venus will dominate when they still have 3R losses at the French to their name.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM
it depends.
if Serena continutes this "hard work" and hunger, she'll win 3 next year.
i fully expect her to win the Australian Open (at least).

friendsita
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Serena: AO and maybe RG
Venus: Wimbledon defff and USO

rjd1111
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM

For Serena; US Open

I think maybe all 4. And I don't think Juicy or Pova would

Change that except maybe at the FO.

In previous Slams the Sisters start out playing well and

then play a match badly and lose. But that did not happen

at Wimbledon or the USO. If they can keep playing

consistantly well and not have that one letdown it

will be hard for anyone to beat them.

~Eclipsed~
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM
According to form...Serena should win AO again since it's an odd year. :p In all seriousness, i think she will win it regardless because her US form will carry over until then.

FO: neither of them...prolly Safina or Jankovice will win. Ivanovic will probably feel too pressured to defend.

Wimby: Venus

USO: Venus. Mainly because she'll be really hungry for another major outside of Wimby. :)