PDA

View Full Version : At their prime, who was greater ? Serena vs Seles vs Graf?

ShirleyWilks
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
At their prime, who was greater? Serena vs Seles vs Graf

I'd say Seles then Serena then Graf.

Dunlop1
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM
lol
22 > 9
Nuff said.

ShirleyWilks
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:33 AM
lol
22 > 9
Nuff said.

lol but 22** lmao

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:39 AM
lol but 22** lmao

22 Still :shrug:

ShirleyWilks
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:44 AM
22 Still :shrug:

Graf was very clearly demoted to No. 2 by Seles for 2.5 years before stabbing incident and Seles was cleaning up at grand slams (except Wimbledon). The stabbing incident is the only such incident I can think of where a fan of one player has injured another deliberately to heighen the status of his/her preferred player (and, sadly, achieved what he wanted!).

Her 22 GS are hallow and have asterisks all over it.

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Graf was very clearly demoted to No. 2 by Seles for 2.5 years before stabbing incident and Seles was cleaning up at grand slams (except Wimbledon). The stabbing incident is the only such incident I can think of where a fan of one player has injured another deliberately to heighen the status of his/her preferred player (and, sadly, achieved what he wanted!).

And they are still GS :shrug:

ShirleyWilks
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM
And they are still GS :shrug:

Yes and she can thank that german mad maniac fan for half of those. the seles incident will always cast a dark shadow on her *great* accomplishments.

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Yes and she can thank that german mad maniac fan for half of those. the seles incident will always cast a dark shadow on her *great* accomplishments.

OK troll I'm done with you:wavey:

enchantrezz
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM

LOL! She had 11 before the stabbing.

enchantrezz
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM

And the Seles fans cant get over it....how sad.

ShirleyWilks
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
OK troll I'm done with you:wavey:

You're just p-d off because someone has actually made you look like an ignoramous.

Weeks at No. 1 for Graf greatly inflated by Seles debacle and also number of grand slam titles won. Same goes for number of times Graf won 3 slams in a year. You really need to focus on Graf 1987 to 1989 and then take into account what happened re Seles in 1990 to 1993 to be able to judge Graf's record 1993 to 1999.

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM
You're just p-d off because someone has actually made you look like an ignoramous.

Weeks at No. 1 for Graf greatly inflated by Seles debacle and also number of grand slam titles won. Same goes for number of times Graf won 3 slams in a year. You really need to focus on Graf 1987 to 1989 and then take into account what happened re Seles in 1990 to 1993 to be able to judge Graf's record 1993 to 1999.

1. The only one looking like an idiot is you for creating another account to spew your garbage and still being bitter about something that happened in 1993.

2.There is no way to tell even if Seles didn't get stabbed what the slam and H2H would have been.

3. I don't NEED to do anything because I am entitled to my opinion as are you.

4. It's been nice owning you troll so have a good night:wavey:

enchantrezz
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM

It seems like you havent gotten over it...you sound so mad , after all these years ?:help:

Its 2008, time of the WS ..Graf has retired and Seles has moved on. Please be happy :angel:

ShirleyWilks
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
1. The only one looking like an idiot is you for creating another account to spew your garbage and still being bitter about something that happened in 1993.

2.There is no way to tell even if Seles didn't get stabbed what the slam and H2H would have been.

3. I don't NEED to do anything because I am entitled to my opinion as are you.

4. It's been nice owning you troll so have a good night:wavey:

Right, because you have convinced so many people here of your intellect.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Okay, can we just stop with the comparisons of Serena and Graf? Seles, yes. Graf, no. It's not even close. Sorry, I love Serena, but I'm sure even Richard Williams himself would tell you that! Graf is the greatest ever. Period. Monica's stabbing notwithstanding.

It's useless to compare "peak" because all "peaks" are perceived as great or small relative to their surrounding "terrain," so to speak. Since Serena and Steffi dominate different generations (or "surroundings" for the sake of the metaphor), it's somewhat useless to compare "peaks."

Kworb
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
They were all equally great at their peak. :)

MaBaker
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Which thread sucks the most : Serena vs Seles, Graf vs Seles vs Serena, Serena vs Navratilova, Serena vs Federer vs Henin, God vs Superman vs Serena.... :unsure:

LUVMIRZA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Serena > Seles > Steffi

AcesHigh
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Hmm.. if you put them all in the same era, I'd say Graf first..closely followed by Serena/Seles. It's difficult because as time progresses, technology gets better, levels of fitness get better, etc.

On grass, I think Serena would kill Seles, but lose to Graf.. on clay, it would be tough between Seles/Graf but Serena couldnt hang with those two on that surface. On fast hardcourt, advantage Serena? They're all so close..and also give a nod to Martina Navratilova.

Dodoboy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Serena would both of them on a good day. Grass, hard or carpet.

Although in terms of greatest Graf was able to play the tennis needed to own her competition for a longer period of time. She is clearly the better player.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
hardcourt- serena
grasscourt- graf
claycourt- seles
water- serena

adv. serena

LUVMIRZA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Serena would both of them on a good day. Grass, hard or carpet.

Although in terms of greatest Graf was able to play the tennis needed to own her competition for a longer period of time. She is clearly the better player.

The question was "At their Prime". I wuld say Serena will beat any one when she is playing her best on any surface.

Tamus
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
They were all equally great at their peak. :)

Ditto, all were number 1, and you can't get better than that.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Monica is the best player ever .

I vote for her

GrafMariaPetraK
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
In 1988, Graf won the Olympic gold medal in singles and all four Grand Slam singles titles that year, becoming the first and only player to win the "Golden Slam."

She was ranked the Women's Tennis Association's No. 1 player for a record 377 total weeks – the longest of any player, male or female, since rankings began – and is the only player to have won all four Grand Slam singles tournaments (Wimbledon, the US Open, the French Open, and the Australian Open) at least four times each. Graf also holds the record (eight) for most years as year end number one.:worship:Step to that bitches :lol::lick:

cn ireland
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM
For me Graf is the best female player EVER so it'd have to be her.

ce
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
o please
GRAF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SELES>> SRENA

kiwifan
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Another "Peak Thread"?

Peak Seles was better than Graf.

Peak Serena (not yesterday but Serena Slam, Serena) is better than Monica (who I adore).

All are great champions and Graf has accomplished much more than both Monica and Serena, blah blah blah...

Slutati
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Serenidad, they banned you already :sad::hug:

Lunaris
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
You simply can't compare players from different eras as they grow up using different equipment, they were accustomed to different training methods and faced different opposition. You can compare their accomplishments, but not who played better tennis at their prime - because current champs will always have the edge as tennis progresses as a sport.

PLP
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
LOL! She had 11 before the stabbing.

Exactly.
Steffi was my original fav of all time. I watched her so closely starting in 87 so having seen so many of her matches, and by ACHIEVEMENTS ALONE, it is Steffi by miles...
Definitely a few years of her slams are, well, lets just say she probably would have won 4 or so less IMHO, but let's not forget about her dominance at Wimbledon. Monica would have had an extremely difficult time beating Steffi there, again, this is just a guess. I still think Graf would have been the more dominant and her consistency was unmatched.
Also, what she did at RG in 1999, despite some help by Martina's meltdown :sad:, sigh, was an incredible testament to the great champion she was. Monica could have gotten herself in better shape I think and won a few more slams in 1996 and 1997, but Graf and Hingis had her number then for the most part. Serena is just too inconsistent. Her talent however, may be greater than both Steffi and Monica but that argument could be made for a number of players including Venus, Hingis, and Justine. But we have to go by achievements. I don't think Serena has quite passed Monica but she will. Both her and Vee are most likely going to keep adding to their # of slams at this point. The current competition is just too inconsistent in big matches, but only time will tell.

liuxuan
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
ppl go on about the stabbing, and how it inflated grafs GS total. she won 6 slams in seles' absense, two of which came at wimbledon - which she 99% would still have won anyway.

So even if we give monica the benefit of the doubt and assume she would have beaten steffi at the 4 other slams she won (uit highly unlikely she would have beaten her at all 4 anyways) - that still leaves steffi with 18 slams minimum! Shes the greatest!

*JR*
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Another "Peak Thread"?

Peak Seles was better than Graf.

Peak Serena (not yesterday but Serena Slam, Serena) is better than Monica (who I adore).

All are great champions and Graf has accomplished much more than both Monica and Serena, blah blah blah...
True, these threads are :yawn: And for the record, the primes of Martina I and Chrissie ovalapped from the late 70's thru the mid 80's. Without the other around, either would llkely have more Slam singles titles than Steffi's 22 (or Court's 24, 11 won in Oz when a lot of players skipped the long trip there, yadda yadda yadda). And should Lefty get much extra credit for being so dominant in dubs, etc? :shrug:

faboozadoo15
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Exactly JR, these debates get a little silly especially when you consider that Chris and Martina skipped numerous tournaments we now call "majors" while at the height of their careers. Evert skipped 16 majors during her career (several could be injuries-- but 12 AO's and 3 RG tourneys to play WTT). Navratilova skipped 11 AO's and 10 RG's.
Chris and Martina never missed a US Open or Wimbledon, however.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Serena>Seles>Graf.

Optima
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Graf > Seles = Serena

Sund7101
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Monica Seles and Serena both were not at their peak as long as Graf that's why it's so tough to be able to know.

I'd have to say Seles at her best, but Serena close behind.

Honesty its a toss-up between Serena and Seles.

These next years will be telling.