PDA

View Full Version : Is this proof that Jelena could possibly win a slam???

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I know many write her off and say she will never win one but given how well she played in her first final...as a jj hater i'll be the first to admit that against anyone else she would have won (probably not ana since she can't seem to beat ana lol)...but then again maybe not....maybe she just played that way because it was serena and she knew she had to be more aggressive???

i dunno...your thoughts??

Optima
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I really thinks she plays at the level she knows she can get away with.

Winning a slam...

I hope.

RenaSlam.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Nope.

abercrombieguy23
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I honestly am surprised with how well she did tonight...

I think mentally if she took it up a notch she could be in contention

doni1212
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I think that was the best she could play and like you said TW, against anyone other than Serena and Ana, she probably would have won.
I don't know if she can keep it up and stay healthy, (although Jankovic alternated when she was healthy and not healthy in these matches according to her opponents play, :rolleyes:)

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:40 PM

Winning a slam...

I hope.

hmm that's my only draw back....she seems to only turn it on when she's playing serena/venus/jh(when she was playing)/masha....when she's not playing a big girl she's content with grinding you down and waiting for your errors, which won't work against who isn't giving her the errors...it was actually great to watch her be aggressive for some parts of the match...i guess we will have to wait and see what she does from here

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I think that was the best she could play and like you said TW, against anyone other than Serena and Ana, she probably would have won.
I don't know if she can keep it up and stay healthy, (although Jankovic alternated when she was healthy and not healthy in these matches according to her opponents play, :rolleyes:)

yea that's the one that still puts me off lol :lol:

V's a star
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
At RG she def can. but at the other slams there will always be a player who can out hit her

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
she can sneak in one a la Myskina when everybody is banged up:lol:...did anybody notice that her mother was wearing one outfit all tournament:eek:

LeRoy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM
An economist who is stingy when it comes to clothes but splurges on bronzer. Gotta look like a tranny.

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Jankovic's mother is a university-trained economist.

what are U ... a supermarket shelf-stacker? :haha:
I am also studying economics man ..tell me Snezana has to practice economics on her wardrobe too:eek:.
Her degree is meaningless in the west,because she was practicing in a non performing economy ....:rolleyes:

Costanza
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Jankovic's mother is a university-trained economist.

what are U ... a supermarket shelf-stacker? :haha:

Believe me,being an economist in Serbia:tape:

Il Primo!
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:09 PM
She wouldn't have beaten neither an in form Maria, nor Venus. She might have beaten Ana though.

But JJ is slam worthy, no doubt about that. And it's been a while we're aware of that instead of being blindfolded by hate :rolleyes:

LeRoy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ok honestly, i think the only reason the match was even close was because Serena was wayyyyyyy too passive. She wanted to beat Jelena at her own game and she kind of did but their match at the AO was still on Serena's mind and she had decided she wouldnt gift the match to JJ by making a million UFEs.

Any hard hitting top player can take out JJ on a good day and to win a GS you need to play atleast 3 such players. She might sneak a win or even two and make the SF's or finals but for her to win a GS she would have to have a very kind draw with players playing subpar tennis.

Costanza
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
She wouldn't have beaten neither an in form Maria, nor Venus. She might have beaten Ana though.

But JJ is slam worthy, no doubt about that. And it's been a while we're aware of that instead of being blindfolded by hate :rolleyes:

Ahhh,wisdom from Ana hater:wavey:
Never resting.

homogenius
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ok honestly, i think the only reason the match was even close was because Serena was wayyyyyyy too passive. She wanted to beat Jelena at her own game and she kind of did but their match at the AO was sill on Serena's mind and she had decided she wouldnt gift the match to JJ by making a million UFEs.

Any hard hitting top player can take out JJ on a good day and to win a GS you need to play atleast 3 such players. She might sneak a win or even two but for her to win a GS she would have to have a very kind draw with player playing subpar tennis.

:bs:

Il Primo!
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Never resting.

Ana who?

duhcity
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Thats slightly a problem, the people she can lose too. There is barely anyone that can beat Maria or Venus when they're in their prime. But Venus always needs grass and a good draw to turn it on, and Maria needs a new shoulder every few months.

Jelena is one of the few players that really have gotten far without just hitting the ball as fast and as hard as possibly. Arguably, her method is not better, but it also does not wear her out as much.

Once she gets a fortunate draw, she'll be fine. Her best chance at FO. And Personally, I dont think she'll ever get past the 4th round of Wimbledon. I can see her continuing the Tanasugarn curse, 4th round every year every time.

MagicMilan
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Never resting.
You're more of a hater than him/her :)

Aaron.
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
She should have won the french but ran into the hottest player in 07 and 08

maybe next year

carling
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Proof is in the winning, not in the trying.

hotandspicey
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Unless she falls into a slump/decline, she's winning a slam next year. She is itching to equal Nole and Ana. ;)

calex
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Shemale-Djokovic managed to make it to the finals largely due to a Mickey Mouse draw for her lower half.
As for whether she is able to win a slam. I never say never.
But he would surely have a better chance If She Will Stop Preening When She Knows She's On The Big Screen and focus on her tennis.

Mightymirza
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Winning a slam...

I hope.

She has to stay away from Ajde in the Semis :lol: (given how things have turned out, it doesnt look too hard :lol: )

jacs
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I am also studying economics man ..tell me Snezana has to practice economics on her wardrobe too:eek:.
Her degree is meaningless in the west,because she was practicing in a non performing economy ....:rolleyes:

Wow, nice. That’s right up there with “The years you worked hard for your degrees mean nothing because your country sucks!” in The List of Things My Egotistical, Ethnocentric Neighbor Told Me. Congrats.

mirzalover
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Thats slightly a problem, the people she can lose too. There is barely anyone that can beat Maria or Venus when they're in their prime. But Venus always needs grass and a good draw to turn it on, and Maria needs a new shoulder every few months.

She doesnt need a good draw.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM

that's rich!!! you hate on someone and call her a nothing when she's actually won a slam, and tell ME that i am blinded by hate :haha: that's rich....

Apoleb
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:59 AM
:bs:

:lol:

Obviously.

Jelena absolutely surprised me with her level last night. That was worldclass, and would put her in contention with the very best. So yes, in a way that definitely proves to me she's Slam worthy. As much as Mauresmo or Clijsters are.

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:32 AM
On today's WTA Tour, players with "point-starter" serves rarely win majors (Anastasia Myskina, Roland Garros '04). Unless Jankovic can turn her serve into a weapon, I think it will be difficult for her to break through.

Volcana
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Proof? No. Mary Jo Fernandez made slam finals and never won one. Elena Dementieva played against a group of peers who had FOUR player who won five or more slams. That hasn't happened since the fifties. Maybe she wins one, maybe she doesn't, but it's not like she's had only one dominant player to deal with. She's had FOUR. Six if you count three time slam champs Davenport and Capriati. Seven if you throw in Sharapova.

Slams are a harsh mistress. You haven't proved you're good enough to win one til you do.

kwilliams
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:45 AM
......anyway...

I don't think the final was proof that JJ can win a slam. It is a good sign though, obviously. If she did make another final she would need to face a weaker player though. I can't really see her beating Serena, Venus, Sharapova or Ivanovic in a slam final (not in the near future anyway) and I don't want to see a slam final between JJ and some other player! I prefer seeing the big stars in slam finals!