PDA

View Full Version : Chris Evert conceded that the Williamses had proved her wrong

Bijoux0021
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/sports/tennis/08women.html?_r=1&ref=tennis&oref=slogin

Serena Williams Wins U.S. Open and Returns to No.

Serena Williams after the women's final match at the U.S. Open on Sunday.

By KAREN CROUSE
Published: September 7, 2008

No world No. 1 in women’s tennis has slogged through so desolate a valley between peaks than Serena Williams. After relinquishing the top spot in August 2003, Williams fell so far that she was not within an echo’s distance of the summit two years ago.

Outside the top 125 at this time in 2006, Williams completed her climb back to No. 1 on Sunday night with a 6-4, 7-5 victory against Jelena Jankovic to claim her third United States Open title.

The 23-year-old Jankovic, who was making her first final in 21 Grand Slam appearances, fought gamely to the end, extending points with her dogged defense. Her nerves, which were indiscernible at the start, surfaced in the 19th game, serving at 5-4, when she squandered four set points.

After breaking Jankovic with a forehand passing shot, Williams won 10 of the final 16 points to secure her ninth Grand Slam singles championship. Williams converted her second match point with a backhand that fell as softly as a tissue, then threw her racket in the air and hopped up and down. When she made it to the net, she apologized to Jankovic for getting so excited.

The second-ranked Jankovic, who was No. 1 for a week last month, might have lost the match, but she won over the Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd during the award presentation. She started off by thanking everyone and her drivers. While accepting the runner-up trophy, she said: “I lost my No. 1 ranking. It’s not fair.” Then, as Williams was being presented with her $1.5 million check, Jankovic asked, “How much did I get?”

The answer, as she would soon find out, was $750,000.

No woman has gone as long between stints at the top as Williams, who came into the tournament ranked No. 3 and will overtake Ana Ivanovic, who lost in the second round.

“It is that special because I’ve been working so hard,” said Williams, who did not drop a set in the tournament and lost 40 games.

It was a performance reminiscent of 2002, when Williams did not drop a set and beat her sister Venus. The No. 1 ranking, Williams added, “is just like an added bonus.”

Williams’s place in the pantheon of American luminaries was secure no matter what happened Sunday. That it had been five years since she held the No. 1 ranking did not preclude the two men behind the recent HBO documentary, “The Color List,” from including her in their portraits of 22 of the most fascinating and influential African-Americans.

The 26-year-old Williams joined, among others, the Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison and the former Secretary of State Colin Powell in pulling back the curtain to reveal the challenges and rewards of black life in the United States.

“I felt honored that they wanted me to speak on it and to be a part of it,” Williams said. “I was so excited to do it.”

Morrison talked about writing being her only “free place,” an unfiltered outlet for her expression. The tennis court is that place for Williams, an entertainer inexorably drawn to the spotlight. Her flair for drama makes each of her matches an improvisational play in two or three acts.

While Morrison and Williams would appear to have much in common, Williams found Powell’s interview the most illuminating. “I was really struck by his story,” she said, “and everything he was saying.”

That is Williams in a sound bite, running around the obvious answer like her opponents might a ball hit to their weak sides. In interview rooms, as on the court, Williams is famous for keeping her antagonists off-balance.

When it comes to tennis, Williams has steadfastly adhered to her own script. Along with Venus, she began playing on public courts in Compton, a Southern California community that never will be confused with a tennis hotbed.

She was not a fixture on the junior circuit, and when she and Venus turned professional, as teenagers, they continued to take classes toward fashion degrees, and, in Serena’s case, pursue acting roles.

In 1999, Serena won the Open for the first of 16 Williams family Grand Slam singles titles. From the beginning of 2002 through the end of 2003, Williams won five of the six majors she entered.

Then she went from nearly invincible to almost invisible. Between January 2005 and December 2006, she played 44 matches, 5 fewer than she has in 2008. Williams’s world ranking was inching toward 140 when Chris Evert, an 18-time Grand Slam singles champion, gently took Williams to task in an open letter in Tennis magazine for tarnishing her legacy by not maximizing her extraordinary tennis abilities.

“In the short term you may be happy with the various things going on in your life,” Evert wrote, “but I wonder whether 20 years from now you might reflect on your career and regret not putting 100 percent of yourself into tennis.”

Evert, whose singular devotion to tennis stoked her success, added, “I don’t see how acting and designing clothes can compare with the pride of being the best tennis player in the world.”

Evert watched the final Sunday in the suite of Arlen Kantarian, the United States Tennis Association’s chief executive officer for professional tennis. Before the match, Evert conceded that in the long term the Williamses had proved her wrong.

Noting that former Nos. 1 Justine Henin, Martina Hingis and Kim Clijsters bowed out of tennis because of burnout while the Williamses have been playing as well as ever, Evert said: “Let’s put it this way. It’s opened my eyes not to be judgmental and to each his own. Whatever makes you happy. By having other interests, maybe you won’t get burned out as quickly.”

Williams’s fire once again is burning bright. “Just putting in the effort,” she said, adding, “I’m just enjoying every moment.”

RenaSlam.
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:51 AM
:worship:

Step to it, SlutChrissie.

Miranda
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM
well, Evert was wrong too in her marriage :tape:

No Name Face
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
at least she can admit it :tape::tape:
but she wasn't the only one, and it's nice that she's going on record saying she was wrong.

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Great article

Tennisstar86
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Evert gonna stop being Judgemental? Now only if she can tell that Bitch Carillo to keep her opinion to herself.....

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Very big of her to admit she was wrong for judging Serena.

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Eat that Chris!!!

Bijoux0021
Chris Evert had the nerves to write an open letter to Serena chastising her, telling her what she should do with her life without taking into consideration what Serena and her family were going through. She should have been woman enough to write Serena another open letter admitting that she was wrong.

ladydiana
She still feels the same way about both Serena and Venus. It's just that they've both won Grand Slams once again without playing that much tennis.

She had to write this article, but she was hoping that Jelena won the match. They don't fool me one bit.

Why would the Williamses have to prove her wrong. It's not like these other players have ever won a grand slam with the exception of Ana and Maria. Chrissy knows that Dinara, Jelena, and Elena doesn't have what it takes to beat Venus and Serena if they make it to the finals.

If any of these other players plan on winning a Grand Slam, then they had better eliminate both Venus and Serena before they make it to the finals.

I can't stand Chrissy Pissy. She's runs her mouth too much just like Tracey Austin and sissy boy Ted Robinson.

I just love it when they have to comeback and eat crow.

maddogz48
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Nice to know people will back off Serena's case about playing a limited schedule.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I'll read everything Karen Crouse writes about the Sisters!

Bijoux0021
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM
She still feels the same way about both Serena and Venus. It's just that they've both won Grand Slams once again without playing that much tennis.

She had to write this article, but she was hoping that Jelena won the match. They don't fool me one bit.

Why would the Williamses have to prove her wrong. It's not like these other players have ever won a grand slam with the exception of Ana and Maria. Chrissy knows that Dinara, Jelena, and Elena doesn't have what it takes to beat Venus and Serena if they make it to the finals.

If any of these other players plan on winning a Grand Slam, then they had better eliminate both Venus and Serena before they make it to the finals.

I can't stand Chrissy Pissy. She's runs her mouth too much just like Tracey Austin and sissy boy Ted Robinson.

I just love it when they have to comeback and eat crow.
Co-sign!

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Chrissy is another tennis idiot tool. I disliked her dumb ass the moment she said that having a 1 handed backhand was a LIABILITY on grass. I didn't want to hear another thing out of her dumb mouth since.

Vee and Ree didn't prove Chris wrong. Martina,Henin,Kim,Cappy and others just proved Richard Williams and family right. Don't let any job consume the self. Life is also about having some outside creative interest. It shouldn't be 100% tennis all the time. Longetitivity counts for alot.

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Chrissy is another tennis idiot tool. I disliked her dumb ass the moment she said that having a 1 handed backhand was a LIABILITY on grass. I didn't want to hear another thing out of her dumb mouth since.

Vee and Ree didn't prove Chris wrong. Martina,Henin,Kim,Cappy and others just proved Richard Williams and family right. Don't let any job consume the self. Life is also about having some outside creative interest. It shouldn't be 100% tennis all the time. Longetitivity counts for alot.
Oh no, Dawn's off her meds again..... :eek:

canuckfan
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Hey Serena just won a slam! Can't you just be happy :D

You're all at least as judgmental as she is...

mdterp01
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Stick with what you know best Chrissie....being SLUTACIOUS rather than writing letters! :wavey:

Renalicious
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Ya damn right. :)

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Well, at least she admitted it. She gets her propers for that.

(for some reason, I'm feeling a little magnanimous tonight ;) )

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
:lol: Well Kudos to her for realizing she was being judgemental and apologizing about it. :worship:

ghost world
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Bitch, please.

I still remember those classless, borderline racist remarks you've made whilst commentating some of Venus and Serena's matches.

Chriskip
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I dont buy any of what they all say now that Serena has won. Just look at their faces when the cameras focus on them during the matches and you will see who they are really supporting out there....even if they write differently in their columns. Evert, Austin (aka Sharapova's bitch) and Navratilova are obvious Williams opponents to the end. Just wait until Serena loses her next match and hear them harp on her again.....and lumping Venus in the mix for good measure.....these leopards will never change their spots. If through their wishes other players could end up winning the Slams, then its safe to say Serena and Venus would not have 16 right now.

Bijoux0021
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I dont buy any of what they all say now that Serena has won. Just look at their faces when the cameras focus on them during the matches and you will see who they are really supporting out there....even if they write differently in their columns. Evert, Austin (aka Sharapova's bitch) and Navratilova are obvious Williams opponents to the end. Just wait until Serena loses her next match and hear them harp on her again.....and lumping Venus in the mix for good measure.....these leopards will never change their spots. If through their wishes other players could end up winning the Slams, then its safe to say Serena and Venus would not have 16 right now.
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

You are 100% correct.

They are true hypocrites and always will be. They don't fool me for a second. When the cameras are focusing on them, you don't ever get the perception that they are supporting Venus and Serena and want them to win. You can clearly see it in their faces and hear it in their voices that they want their opponents to win. That's the good ole U.S.A. for you.

spartanfan
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
You mean marriageS. ;)

mykarma
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
but she wasn't the only one, and it's nice that she's going on record saying she was wrong.
What the fvck else can she say? She should have been taking care of her own house instead of getting personal with the Williams sisters.

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well, she ain't the first thing that got proved wrong..still cool.

DA FOREHAND
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm happy that Chris wrothe the open letter, because she said alot of things that were/are true. She beieves along w/just about every other tennis commentators that Serena Williams could be among the greatest ever, not only in number of slams, but also game.

Without the dedication Chris spoke about in that letter Serena would not be back at the top of the game.

Congrats Serena for making your tennis a priority again, and restoring the luster of the # 1 ranking.

serenafann
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I give Chris Evert credit for seeing the error of her ways.

HippityHop
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Funny that Serena apologized to JJ for getting so excited.
I don't know who did the best jumping though, Venus at Wimby 2005 or Serena at USO 2008.

I'm leaning towards Vee.

May there be much more jumping to come from the both of them. :bounce:

Expat
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I'm happy that Chris wrothe the open letter, because she said alot of things that were/are true. She beieves along w/just about every other tennis commentators that Serena Williams could be among the greatest ever, not only in number of slams, but also game.

Without the dedication Chris spoke about in that letter Serena would not be back at the top of the game.

Congrats Serena for making your tennis a priority again, and restoring the luster of the # 1 ranking.
Co-sign
Chris recognizes that a healthy dedicated Serena has a lot to offer to the tennis world and it was painful seeing all that talent go to waste

partbrit
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Calling Evert a slut is unacceptable. Calling anyone a slut is unacceptable, for that matter, since people's sexual choices are their own business. But I doubt seriously, if the person in question had been Andy Roddick--or any sexually active man--he would have been called a slut.

And one of the greatest players of all time is a "tennis idiot"?

If Evert believes she made a mistake and she says so publicly, that is a good thing. I thought way too much was made of this incident, anyway. Evert wasn't the only one who thought Serena was too distracted--she was just the one who had the guts to put it in writing.

I am not writing this to defend Evert, a woman whose tennis I admire tremendously, but whose personal values (I'm not talking about sex or relationships, so there is no hypocrisy here) leave me cold. Did her letter actually light a fire of rage under Serena? We'll never know. Did Serena get too distracted? In one of her U.S. Open interviews, she implies that she did.

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Chris Evert said in her TENNIS magazine editorial that if Serena put all of her off-court activities on hold and concentrated on tennis, she could be one of the greatest players of all time. Well, guess what? Serena put all of her off-court activities on hold this year, concentrated on tennis, and.....wait for it.....regained the #1 ranking. If anything, Serena is proving Chris Evert right.

AcesHigh
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Wow.. the class of the responses here. Congrats to Serena on her win.. but as far as I remember, Evert's criticism and mostly the criticism of everyone else was that Serena could have been the greatest of all time if she dedicated herself more. Well, she's still not going to be up with the GOAT's so are they wrong?

Serena has made her own choices and lives her own life and if she's happy with it, that's all that matters. But why criticize the critics...and then make dumbass remarks like calling Evert a slut? :weirdo:

AcesHigh
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Chris Evert said in her TENNIS magazine editorial that if Serena put all of her off-court activities on hold and concentrated on tennis, she could be one of the greatest players of all time. Well, guess what? Serena put all of her off-court activities on hold this year, concentrated on tennis, and.....wait for it.....regained the #1 ranking. If anything, Serena is proving Chris Evert right.

:worship: Serena finally dedicated herself to getting back in shape..and now she's reaped the success of her hard work.

new-york
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
she never said that wins like this one wouldn't happen though, she just said that there could have been so much more because there's so much potential.

i'd be proud to hear that of myself, wouldn't you.

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM
:worship: Serena finally dedicated herself to getting back in shape..and now she's reaped the success of her hard work.
At the "advanced" ages of almost-27 and 28, I am still dumb enough to believe that Serena and Venus' best tennis is yet to come. I can't wait to see it.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM

didn't serena have some acting gigs this year :scratch: imo she's multi tasking now...she took the break and now is doing both on court and off court activities...she proved evert wrong...serena did what she wanted to do WHEN she wanted to do it...look at where everyone else who forced themselves to stick with tennis and nothing else are today..

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM

:yeah:

RVD
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I dont buy any of what they all say now that Serena has won. Just look at their faces when the cameras focus on them during the matches and you will see who they are really supporting out there....even if they write differently in their columns. Evert, Austin (aka Sharapova's bitch) and Navratilova are obvious Williams opponents to the end. Just wait until Serena loses her next match and hear them harp on her again.....and lumping Venus in the mix for good measure.....these leopards will never change their spots. If through their wishes other players could end up winning the Slams, then its safe to say Serena and Venus would not have 16 right now.:worship: :worship:

You've said everything I was thinking. Except I'll add that Chris has an obvious 'God Complex', and is irritating as hell with her hyper-snooty-hypocritical criticism of the sisters. And I don’t care what anyone thinks about her phony "aknowledgement", because she’ll be hiding like a snake in the grass to do once again, given half an opportunity. :( :help:

RVD
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Chris Evert said in her TENNIS magazine editorial that if Serena put all of her off-court activities on hold and concentrated on tennis, she could be one of the greatest players of all time. Well, guess what? Serena put all of her off-court activities on hold this year, concentrated on tennis, and.....wait for it.....regained the #1 ranking. If anything, Serena is proving Chris Evert right.Come on darrin, my friend. You know Serena is dating [Common], acting [this was even written about, I believe last week]...in fact, didn't she just do a documentary? And even still designing clothing with Nike.
My brutha, I'm old, and my memory is slipping. But you are young and in your prime. Let's get it together man.

The whole point of Evert acknowledging that she was wrong was because Serena hasn't changed her routine. It's just that her routine is now bearing fruit, AND she's still out there winning slams. ;) :angel:

mykarma
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Not according to Chris.

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Actually Serena worked harder this year, and was motivated to play more tournaments than usual.

I thought the problem with Evert's letter wasn't the content, but the patronizing tone of the letter. She probably felt the need to apologize for that reason.

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Actually Serena worked harder this year, and was motivated to play more tournaments than usual.

I thought the problem with Evert's letter wasn't the content, but the patronizing tone of the letter. She probably felt the need to apologize for that reason.
I could agree with that. I won't, of course, but I COULD. ;)

Just kidding, my friend. I completely agree with that. :yeah:

MasterJustine
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
chris is bitter. she wished she was as talented and as beutiful as all the babes in tennis 2day. i think she know that serena is alot beter lookin than she will ever b so shes just jealous and old. also serena acheved alot more in her career than chris did so shes just a bit sour i tink.

PLP
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM

It takes a lot to say you were wrong and in the public eye especially. Good for Chris, I hope that she has a decent relationship with both Serena and Venus, 3 of the best if tennis players in the history of the game.

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Chrissy the home wrecker wouldn't gave a fake ass apology if Martina,Henin,Molik,Clijsters,Jennifer C,Myskina and a few little less kown players wouldn't of quit due to major burn out sometime in their tennis lives. It was RichardWilliams and Brandy who's right. The burnt out of the top players bascially shut Chrissy's racist ass mouth up. So this fake ass apology isn't cause She was proved so much as wrong but that Richard proved her tennis robot ass right.

This ain't the 70's,80's and 90's. Tennis has changed ALOT. Even Masha Sharky said she may retire early. Richard was just ahead of the game. He showed common sense while the rest of the pack was stuck back in tennis time.

RVD
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM

I thought the problem with Evert's letter wasn't the content, but the patronizing tone of the letter. She probably felt the need to apologize for that reason.I thought it was both, insomuchas the letter wasn't necessary.

Serena publicly stated this a few times already.
And now Evert openly admits it.
Seriously guys, this thing has now been acknowledged by Evert, and still some don't get it.

Oh well, Serena has proven that she's her own player and ya either accept it or ya don't. :shrug:
Nothing more for Serena to say or prove. :wavey:

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Darrin', I suggest you watch/read Serena's interview...

Q. How much motivation do you take from people, including Chris Evert, saying that you had spread your energies too thin and that you were never going to be the greatest player you could be if you didn't have a single‑minded focus on tennis? How motivating was that for you to prove these people wrong?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, I just like to win tournaments, and win Grand Slams especially. But I don't really focus on what people say about me. I just have to focus on what I can do, and I still do a lot of things.

You know, I'm on the phone at night talking to different people about designs within ANERAS, and then I wake up and I have a match.

It can be done. You just have to be able to do it. Not everyone can do it.

Clearly, Serena hasn't "put all her off court activities on hold...". She simply manages them better. So, yet again, Evert was wrong. At least she had the good sense to admit it. ;)

RVD
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Q. How much motivation do you take from people, including Chris Evert, saying that you had spread your energies too thin and that you were never going to be the greatest player you could be if you didn't have a single‑minded focus on tennis? How motivating was that for you to prove these people wrong?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, I just like to win tournaments, and win Grand Slams especially. But I don't really focus on what people say about me. I just have to focus on what I can do, and I still do a lot of things.

You know, I'm on the phone at night talking to different people about designs within ANERAS, and then I wake up and I have a match.

Clearly, Serena hasn't "put all her off court activities on hold...". She simply manages them better. So, yet again, Evert was wrong. At least she had the good sense to admit it. ;)...I mean it's just that cut & dry, really.

I realize Evert has her fans who support her regardless, and that's cool.
But when your idol openly admits that she was "wrong", what more is there to say?

I don't get this about people. :confused: :scared:

P.S.
I completely forget about her Aneres line. :lol:
So toss another extra-curricular activity on the bar-b. :tape:

mykarma
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM

It takes a lot to say you were wrong and in the public eye especially. Good for Chris, I hope that she has a decent relationship with both Serena and Venus, 3 of the best if tennis players in the history of the game.
Didn't you know that Darrin was in love with Chris and won't give the sisters a break unless they're playing of course. Right Darrin/ :)

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM

Clearly, Serena hasn't "put all her off court activities on hold...". She simply manages them better. So, yet again, Evert was wrong. At least she had the good sense to admit it. ;)
Difference being.....?

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Chrissy the home wrecker wouldn't gave a fake ass apology if Martina,Henin,Molik,Clijsters,Jennifer C,Myskina and a few little less kown players wouldn't of quit due to major burn out sometime in their tennis lives. It was RichardWilliams and Brandy who's right. The burnt out of the top players bascially shut Chrissy's racist ass mouth up. So this fake ass apology isn't cause She was proved so much as wrong but that Richard proved her tennis robot ass right.

This ain't the 70's,80's and 90's. Tennis has changed ALOT. Even Masha Sharky said she may retire early. Richard was just ahead of the game. He showed common sense while the rest of the pack was stuck back in tennis time.
Please get your prescriptions refilled, Dawn. PLEASE.

court70
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM

No she did not. I guess you did not read her last interview.

LightWarrior
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Co-sign
Chris recognizes that a healthy dedicated Serena has a lot to offer to the tennis world and it was painful seeing all that talent go to waste

Exactly, she was totally right writing the letter. I'm sure it helped in some way. I'm so sick of some WS fans slamming Evert in a very undignified way. I love Serena and I'm glad Evert wrote the letter.

kiwifan
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM
but she wasn't the only one, and it's nice that she's going on record saying she was wrong. :worship:

I love Chris America but she's often put herself on the wrong side of history with her quotes; and she usually is woman enough to admit it eventually. :angel:

mykarma
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Exactly, she was totally right writing the letter. I'm sure it helped in some way. I'm so sick of some WS fans slamming Evert in a very undignified way. I love Serena and I'm glad Evert wrote the letter.
:tape:

friendsita
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Better Be Quite

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Chris is an idiot.

Black Mamba.
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I give Chris props for admitting she was wrong but I think the letter had very little impact on Serena. I think the common misconception many of the announcers and commentators had prior to the last couple of years was that the main reason Serena and Venus weren't playing well was because of their outside interests. The cold reality is that not only were they constantly injured but the fact that their sister was murdered probably made things that much harder to deal with.

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I give Chris props for admitting she was wrong but I think the letter had very little impact on Serena. I think the common misconception many of the announcers and commentators had prior to the last couple of years was that the main reason Serena and Venus weren't playing well was because of their outside interests. The cold reality is that not only were they constantly injured but the fact that their sister was murdered probably made things that much harder to deal with.
I'll give you Yetunde's murder (and raise you their parents' divorce), but I think their outside interests kept them from training like they should have been, which led to the constant injuries.

Black Mamba.
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I'll give you Yetunde's murder (and raise you their parents' divorce), but I think their outside interests kept them from training like they should have been, which led to the constant injuries.

If you look at a majority of their injuries I question if training would've prevented a majority of them. Ie.. Vee's stomach muscle tear and Serena's thumb injury. IMO the jury is still out on Serena's knee because I don't think she's ever really come clean on how serious the injury was.

Dawn Marie
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Darrinbaker, you need to lay off the heroin because your allowing my opinos to continue to distort your mindset. Your above post about Serena is dumb. Serena still has outside interest. She wins slams all the time.

P.S. Actually Chrissy needs to take her meds. It was this very old and haggy looking tennis player who watched Justine play on grass and called her ONE HANDED BACKHAND A FREAKIN LIABILITY. Really, Chrissy is a tennis dummy

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Difference being.....?

Well, if you mean the difference between what YOU said v/s what SERENA said, it's pretty clear.

She did NOT, I repeat, did NOT "...put ALL her off court activities on hold," which is what you have stated she did.

So, that's the difference. Just admit it DB, you were wrong. :shrug: Happens to the best of us ;)

Sammm
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Miranda :haha: I miss you :hug:

Jem
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Well said. Funny thing is that Serena has done exactly what Evert suggested she needed to, and, wonder of wonders, she has another grand slam title.

You know, I'm not a fan, so it hasn't bothered me at all to see not winning majors -- like the U.S. Open for the past six years. But that said, I also know that she had the ability to be one of the truly greats of the game -- and rank right up there with Evert, Graf, Court, Navratilova. I do believe she was that good, even if I don't typically root for her. Serena may continue to dominate and win more majors, but she'll never get back those lost years and those lost opportunities.

Evert can regret her remarks if she wants, too, but the truth is she was right about Serena. She lost her way and lost a lot of opportunity along the way. Of course, in the long run, given her injuries and her sister's murder, maybe that's not surprising. Many others have seen their careers derailed by far lesser circumstances.

You know, though, what saddens me most about all this fuss is the fact that people brought race into it, suggesting that Chris was criticizing Serena because she was black. I don't believe that, and there's really nothing in Evert's background to suggest this was the case. When Venus was a very young kid, 9 or 10, her father called the Evert house and asked if he could bring Venus and possibly Serena by to see her Wimbledon trophies. It would have been very easy to say, No, to that request. Instead, the Everts opened their home and invited the Williams into it -- to give a little girl a glimpse of what the future might hold if she worked hard and maximized her talent -- just as Evert did. In my book, that shows class and caring.

I will never be convinced that Evert wrote that open letter to Serena because she had ill will on her mind. I truly believe that she saw someone missing multiple opportunities to achieve greatness. It's a shame that so many people were thin skinned about it and couldn't take the criticism. Because, ultimately, Evert was proved right. Personally, I think Evert should write a similar letter to another player I don't care much about -- Justine Henin. Henin had the goods to challenge Evert's French Open legacy, but, she, too, opted to squander some great opportunities. I can't help wondering that she won't regret this early retirement decision somewhere down the line. But as everyone knows, hey, it's her life and she's the one who will live with it!

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Well said. Funny thing is that Serena has done exactly what Evert suggested she needed to, and, wonder of wonders, she has another grand slam title....

:rolleyes: Please read Serena's interview before you make such comments.

switz
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM
i respect Evert for making that concession. i would have expected her to be pig headed about it and take credit for the revival by saying her letter motivated them and that was her only goal.

DA FOREHAND
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
^^^^
I never read any ill will into Chris' open letter to Serena. I never understood the furor over the letter. Perhaps the timing was not the best, but that would not have changed anything for those that took offense to the letter.

Chris saw in Serena Williams (a fellow American tennis player) the potential to be among the greatest females players of all time. What an insult!!! :rolleyes:

Serena has overcome injury and personal setbacks to regain the top spot in women's tennis. It took hard work and dedication.

Bijoux0021
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
^^^^
I never read any ill will into Chris' open letter to Serena. I never understood the furor over the letter. Perhaps the timing was not the best, but that would not have changed anything for those that took offense to the letter.

Chris saw in Serena Williams (a fellow American tennis player) the potential to be among the greatest females players of all time. What an insult!!! :rolleyes:

Serena has overcome injury and personal setbacks to regain the top spot in women's tennis. It took hard work and dedication.
Don't you think Chris Evert could have and should have found a way to give the letter to Serena in private? If Evert couldn't reach Serena, didn't she know anyone who was close to Serena to get a letter to her? She didn't have to make the letter so public by publishing it in her magazine. Thats my biggest complaint over the open letter. Serena is an adult and has every right to live her life as she sees fit. There was no need for Evert to chastise her as she did in that letter without caring about what Serena and her family were going through. I felt that Evert was just using Serena Williams to sell more magazines and get some publicity for herself.

And as for your other comment, I don't think Chris Evert, Mary Carillo, Tracy Austin, Pam Shriver, Martina Navratilova and even Mary Jo Fernandez consider Venus and Serena Williams as true Americans as they do their fellow white Americans. Listening to their commentaries and watching their faces during the sisters' matches, you never get the notion that they want a Williams sister to win even when Venus and Serena are playing foreign players. They are a bunch of phonies and hypocrites. So I don't buy that "Chris saw in Serena Williams (a fellow American tennis player)" crap.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Don't you think Chris Evert could have and should have found a way to give the letter to Serena in private? If Evert couldn't reach Serena, didn't she know anyone who was close to Serena to get a letter to her? She didn't have to make the letter so public by publishing it in her magazine. Thats my biggest complaint over the open letter. Serena is an adult and has every right to live her life as she sees fit. There was no need for Evert to chastise her as she did in that letter without caring about what Serena and her family were going through. I felt that Evert was just using Serena Williams to sell more magazines and get some publicity for herself.

And as for your other comment, I don't think Chris Evert, Mary Carillo, Tracy Austin, Pam Shriver, Martina Navratilova and even Mary Jo Fernandez consider Venus and Serena Williams as true Americans as they do their fellow white Americans. Listening to their commentaries and watching their faces during the sisters' matches, you never get the notion that they want a Williams sister to win even when Venus and Serena are playing foreign players. They are a bunch of phonies and hypocrites. So I don't buy that "Chris saw in Serena Williams (a fellow American tennis player)" crap.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

eugreene2
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
The problem with Chris was the judgmental tone of her letter. (To which she apologized) Also, if she really cared about Serena, she wouldn't have done it in an open letter. What she cared more about was making money off the situation, therefore she did it through her magazine. As Serena said in one of her responses, "no one really knows what's going on with people." Yes, she did get terribly out of shape but this love thing they have for their sisters is no joke. it appears it took Serena all the way to 2007 to work through her emotions.

The reason why I dislike Chris and the comments - she's a hypocrite. She's fake and still wants to be seen as America's princess when we all know she has her own issues to worry about. Don't we all.

Finally, Serena & Venus have been very smart with their other interests. In fact, Serena still looks at scripts and has her fashion thing going on. She has said herself, it was never her intention to get 20 slams or pass Graf. Alot of times in life, people try to place their own goals for you on you. I have had this happen to me. You have to be true to yourself and from all I've seen, Serena & Venus ENJOY & LOVE these other things they do.

spartanfan
Sep 11th, 2008, 01:38 AM

I agree with you on most of those announcers that you have called out but would also add John and Patrick McEnroe to that list, but take off Mary Jo Fernandez. Mary Jo, I think it fairly unbiased when she speaks about Venus and Serena. But when the McEnroe's speak about the Williams' you can hear it in their throats that they want Venus and Serena to lose.

Dave.
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Some people in this thread. :weirdo: :weirdo:

There was nothing wrong with the letter Chris wrote. IMO it shouldn't have been done publicly but still, the way things were going at that time of course people are going to criticise (and the letter wasen't harsh or anything). Serena may still be doing off-court things but there is no doubt she is alot more focused on her tennis and fitness than she was, which has allowed her to compile some great results this year on a more regular basis and gain the number 1 ranking. She has clearly been spending more time on the court than off it so to speak, which is what the general message of the letter was anyway.

Some people need to get over this attitude that the world is against the Williams sisters and pouncing on everyone who says anything about them. It is not a good look. Chris was by no means rude in the letter, it was well written and a nice thought from her. I just wish it wasen't done in public, that I found was a bit tacky.

ikarinokami
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I agree with you on most of those announcers that you have called out but would also add John and Patrick McEnroe to that list, but take off Mary Jo Fernandez. Mary Jo, I think it fairly unbiased when she speaks about Venus and Serena. But when the McEnroe's speak about the Williams' you can hear it in their throats that they want Venus and Serena to lose.

B.S. because its obvious to anyone listening that mcenroe adores venus williams, and thinks she is the best female tennis player in the world.

serenafan08
Sep 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
You know, I honestly have changed my mind about a lot of the commentators on TV. I think now that they see how hard Serena and Venus have worked, they support them more now. Mary Jo has always been supportive of both Serena and Venus, especially Serena. Mary Carillo, while she has her moments, repeatedly says that she feels that Serena and Venus should be ruling this sport. Did you guys listen to her at Wimbledon? She felt that "order had been restored" by both sisters getting to the finals. Johnny Mac has always marveled at their abilities; he's usually pretty cool when calling their matches. He always compliments their athleticism and play. I'm still up in the air about Pam Shriver and Tracy Austin - especially when either sister plays Sharapova.

As for Chris conceding that she was wrong, it's just a classic case of letting things play out for themselves. Despite what she said in her open letter, Serena and Venus kept doing it their way. And now that Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Jennifer Capriati, and Martina Hignis are all MIA, it's clear that the sisters knew what they were doing. They don't put all the eggs in one basket; they are well-rounded adults who are intelligent and athletically gifted. They'll be around for many more years. It's nice to hear Chris say that; at least she acknowledges that she was wrong to judge them. Serena and Venus are hungry. You can see the desire in their eyes. I think they'll both reach double-digits in the Grand Slam category. Venus will keep racking up the Wimbledons, and maybe Serena might sneak one or two in there. But the point is that they're both going to do whatever they want regardless of what anyone says or thinks about it. It works for them, and that's all that matters in the end.

Dave.
Sep 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
It's nice to hear Chris say that; at least she acknowledges that she was wrong to judge them.

When did Chris judge them?

eugreene2
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
You know, I honestly have changed my mind about a lot of the commentators on TV. I think now that they see how hard Serena and Venus have worked, they support them more now. Mary Jo has always been supportive of both Serena and Venus, especially Serena. Mary Carillo, while she has her moments, repeatedly says that she feels that Serena and Venus should be ruling this sport. Did you guys listen to her at Wimbledon? She felt that "order had been restored" by both sisters getting to the finals. Johnny Mac has always marveled at their abilities; he's usually pretty cool when calling their matches. He always compliments their athleticism and play. I'm still up in the air about Pam Shriver and Tracy Austin - especially when either sister plays Sharapova.

As for Chris conceding that she was wrong, it's just a classic case of letting things play out for themselves. Despite what she said in her open letter, Serena and Venus kept doing it their way. And now that Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Jennifer Capriati, and Martina Hignis are all MIA, it's clear that the sisters knew what they were doing. They don't put all the eggs in one basket; they are well-rounded adults who are intelligent and athletically gifted. They'll be around for many more years. It's nice to hear Chris say that; at least she acknowledges that she was wrong to judge them. Serena and Venus are hungry. You can see the desire in their eyes. I think they'll both reach double-digits in the Grand Slam category. Venus will keep racking up the Wimbledons, and maybe Serena might sneak one or two in there. But the point is that they're both going to do whatever they want regardless of what anyone says or thinks about it. It works for them, and that's all that matters in the end.

:worship: Well Said!!!

eugreene2
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
When did Chris judge them?

In that letter ... if she is admitting she was judgmental, what's your issue. She was. She confessed. Hopefully, she's done.

Dave.
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM
In that letter ... if she is admitting she was judgmental, what's your issue. She was. She confessed. Hopefully, she's done.

Was Venus mentioned in the letter?

spartanfan
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:34 AM
B.S. because its obvious to anyone listening that mcenroe adores venus williams, and thinks she is the best female tennis player in the world.
Are you high? John still cums all over himself when he mentions Justine Henin. And you obviously don't watch or listen to tennis much.

spartanfan
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:37 AM

Have you ever noticed that Johnny Mac always refers to Venus, Serena and James Black as being "athletic"? And when he says it I always think to myself, "Aren't all professional tennis players athletic?". Listen to him the next time he commentates one of "their" matches.

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I think the worst is Navratilova...she is so bitter,the look on her face after Vee won Wimbledon for the 4th time was priceless...

Bijoux0021
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I must admit that compare to the announcers I've called out, Mary Jo Fernandez is less biased when she speaks about Venus and Serena. She has gotten a lot better when she's not around Carillo and Shriver.

Now that Mary Jo Fernandez is the captain of U.S. Fed Cup team, she's going to have to make an even bigger effort to put aside all her biases and root honestly and openely for Venus and Serena to beat Maria Sharapova if the Russian team and U.S. were to meet. That's going to be hard for her to do given that she has had her nose under Sharapova's skirt for so long. She's not as bad as Tracy Austin in that department, nonetheless I can see her being conflicted, especially if her husband is still Sharapova's agent.

And yes I agree with you about John and Patrick McEnroe wanting Venus and Serena to lose. I would also add Ted Robinson on the list. He acts like he's going to drop dead if he doesn't mention Sharapova's 2004 Wimbledon win over Serena at least 20 times during a match. It doesn't matter if he's commentating on men or women's matches. He simply can't help himself. He's still having multiple orgasms over it.

Bijoux0021
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Have you ever noticed that Johnny Mac always refers to Venus, Serena and James Black as being "athletic"? And when he says it I always think to myself, "Aren't all professional tennis players athletic?". Listen to him the next time he commentates one of "their" matches.
According to white announcers in the media, as well as many other white people in our society, white athletes are "smart;" black athletes are "athletic." That's the way it is and always has been.

frontier
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
when Serena broke Jelena to make 5-5 they all went very quiet for a whole minute and when she held serve only Dick Enberg was talking,when they showed the faces of Patrick and Macatee after Serena won they didnt look very excited...Courier is the only one who is not biased.He talks about tennis ...not idle chit chat that John engages in.When the match started you could tell they wanted Jelena to win ...I think John and his brother,Ted Robinson,Tracy Austin are so hateful,Mary has mellowed a little bit....

pov
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I think the worst is Navratilova...she is so bitter,the look on her face after Vee won Wimbledon for the 4th time was priceless...
Wtf are you on about?

pov
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Evert gonna stop being Judgemental? Now only if she can tell that Bitch Carillo to keep her opinion to herself.....
How about you set the example by keeping your bitchy opinions to yourself.

frontier
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Wtf are you on about?go back to the archives and there was a thread about this woman just after Wimbledon 07:p

spartanfan
Sep 13th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Wtf are you on about?
No, it's true. Venus and Narvatilova HATE each other.

Denise4925
Sep 13th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Good article, except for this..."recent HBO documentary, “The Color List,” ". The show is called "The Black List". :tape:

As for Chris, I'm glad she admitted she was wrong and that she judged another person. I'm just wondering when the people who agreed with her will admit how wrong they were also. :)

Denise4925
Sep 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM

Co-sign

How can you guys continue to say that what Chris did was right, when she admits herself, that she was wrong. :confused:

Denise4925
Sep 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Come on darrin, my friend. You know Serena is dating [Common], acting [this was even written about, I believe last week]...in fact, didn't she just do a documentary? And even still designing clothing with Nike.
My brutha, I'm old, and my memory is slipping. But you are young and in your prime. Let's get it together man.

The whole point of Evert acknowledging that she was wrong was because Serena hasn't changed her routine. It's just that her routine is now bearing fruit, AND she's still out there winning slams. ;) :angel:

:worship::worship::worship:

And Aneres. ;)

Denise4925
Sep 13th, 2008, 05:55 AM

I wouldn't call it "patronizing", as much as I would say it was admonishing and chastising. Like she was her mother and knew what was best for her.

Denise4925
Sep 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I thought it was both, insomuchas the letter wasn't necessary.

Serena publicly stated this a few times already.
And now Evert openly admits it.
Seriously guys, this thing has now been acknowledged by Evert, and still some don't get it.

Oh well, Serena has proven that she's her own player and ya either accept it or ya don't. :shrug:
Nothing more for Serena to say or prove. :wavey:

I totally agree. It was both.

Denise4925
Sep 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I wouldn't call it "patronizing", as much as I would say it was admonishing and chastising. Like she was her mother and knew what was best for her.

Agreed. It takes a lot of audacity, arrogance and disrespect to decide- to make a conscious decision- to SCOLD someone in such a public way. It's just sooooo damn disrespectful and arrogant and, in this particular case, GREEDY!

:lol: Hell, she should have written and posted it here. This is where garbage like that seems to turn up the most.