PDA

View Full Version : Mary Carillo just acted like an ass on TV

TNT96
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I usually like her but when she said to Jelena "you want your check or what"
She has zero class

brent-o
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Nah, she's just trying to spice things up. I can't stand ceremonies where everyone's so tense and formal. It's boring.

wild.river
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
lol i think she was trying joke around cuz jelena probably feels like shit right now. i hope it worked.

Apoleb
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I thought she was NASTY. She should've let her thank the people she wants to thank. That's what happens at every GS.

Loved how Jelena took the micro from her hand. :rolls:

Kunal
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM
seriously what numbnut thought of having her as the presener?

absolutely zero charm, no poise nothing.....zilch

she looked pretty ridiculous as well

Kunal
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM
seriously what numbnut thought of having her as the presener?

absolutely zero charm, no poise nothing.....zilch

she looked pretty ridiculous as well

koppted
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
non-issue imo, she was trying to lighten things up

MarieC
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Woman was cold to Jelena!

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM
She dresses like a man...are you sure this woman is married with kids? :unsure:

BTW, I thought JJ asking "how much did I get" was funny :lol:

Renalicious
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I thought she was NASTY. She should've let her thank the people she wants to thank. That's what happens at every GS.

yep. :lol::lol:

Vincey!
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM
To me she totally lost all her credibility when I saw her in a clip giving an interview to a guy who has beem accused to teabag kids at his school :o

btw She seemed to want to do it so quickly :shrug:...I know it was late, but c'mon that's a GS final, let the players talk as much as they want

Dawn Marie
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Mary C is a tool, but she was being funny here. Jelena was enjoying the cameras and the moment.

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM

That shit was hillarious! :rolls::haha:

I was rooting for JJ in the Microphone match Jankovic vs. Carillo :bounce:

hankqq
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM
No excuse for Carillo to cut off Jankovic's speech. Jelena just reached her 1st final, played very well, and wanted to thank everyone who helped her get this far. Carillo sucks.

treufreund
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:57 AM
She has ragged on Jelena the whole tournament and was trying to prevent her from saying anything nice to the fans. Heaven forbid that anyone take a liking to Jelena. Carillo really behaved classlessly.

Pureracket
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:58 AM
No excuse for Carillo to cut off Jankovic's speech. Jelena just reached her 1st final, played very well, and wanted to thank everyone who helped her get this far. Carillo sucks.Totally agree. I don't ever remember a trophy presentation where a player was rushed to finish.

I think it's consistent with how Carillo likes to belittle womens tennis.

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Mary Carillo rushed Jelena because the match went over it's time limit.
She was trying to hint to Jelena to hurry up.

The US Open doesn't have music to get someone off the stage like the Oscars, she did what she had to do.

égalité
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Mary is a GOAT in that department :hearts: :bounce: She just won her 3rd T.W.A.T. Open :inlove:

vw.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:03 AM
She wasn't that bad, but I liked it more when Dick and Mary Joe (I think) did it.

Apoleb
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Even if it was supposed to be taken fast, she should've given the players a minute if they think it's important to recognize some people (it was her mother anyway). End of. Instead she made those weird facial expressions and tried to literally shut her up.

I think I officially hate her now. I was quite neutral before. She should take her medicore ass and do something different. She's a failure as a commentator too.

AnomyBC
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I always found Carillo to be slightly annoying. Jelena was hilarious though :lol:

partbrit
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Jelena got mixed up and started saying things that you are supposed to say when you get your trophy. Carillo was trying--to no avail--to re-direct her.

V-MAC
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:14 AM
That Carillo woman seems vile. Thank goodness we don't have to put up with her on our screens over here. Was it to much to let the players just talk for a moment:rolleyes:

cellophane
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I think Mary was doing this because she doesn't like Jelena and thinks she is an attention whore...

vw.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Along with the devastating trophy ceremony, she CONTINUED to spit out pure bullshit during the match. Referring to Serena's Court 2 incident at Wimbledon, she said Serena said she "definitely" had a problem with playing on Court 2, which wasn't the case. Serena said she didn't care which court she played on, but she just felt uncomfortable on Court 2.
And just more BS. :o

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I think I officially hate her now. I was quite neutral before. She should take her medicore ass and do something different. She's a failure as a commentator too.

Even though you might think she's a failure, she's the only sport commentator to have contracts with CBS, NBC, ESPN, and HBO.
Not even Bob Costas can say that.

She's doing something well and obviously it's not anything sexual to get where she wants.
I'm sure she would but noone wants that.

cellophane
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Along with the devastating trophy ceremony, she CONTINUED to spit out pure bullshit during the match. Referring to Serena's Court 2 incident at Wimbledon, she said Serena said she "definitely" had a problem with playing on Court 2, which wasn't the case. Serena said she didn't care which court she played on, but she just felt uncomfortable on Court 2.
And just more BS. :o

Mary can be an annoying drama queen herself, but it would be nice if AFTER YEARS of listening to her commentate people would stop taking her SO seriously and dissecting everything she says. She doesn't report facts....

eugreene2
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Jelena was hilarious ... It's the US Open, not Wimbledon so I thought everything was cool. Loved when she asked how much was her check. Jelena is kinda ghetto. LOL

Sally Struthers
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Mary haters. I like her :lol: It was all rushed because they went over the time slot. Lucky they showed the presentation anyway.

RFSTB
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I usually enjoy Mary's sense of humor but she looked like she was in a hurry to get to the bathroom tonight. Why was she rushing Jelena along like that, "oh you're still going...?" rolling her eyes and stuff. C'mon the girl just played an incredible match let her thank the people she wants to thank! That was hilarious when she took the mike from her. :lol:

vw.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Mary can be an annoying drama queen herself, but it would be nice if AFTER YEARS of listening to her commentate people would stop taking her SO seriously and dissecting everything she says. She doesn't report facts....

Sorry, I just think that if she decides to comment on things that have happened in the past, she should do it only if she knows that what she is saying is correct, or at least close to it. :shrug: I just don't like it when commentators take someones quotes or actions and change them around a bit to make it sound better in the current situation of the match they're commentating.

cellophane
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Sorry, I just think that if she decides to comment on things that have happened in the past, she should do it only if she knows that what she is saying is correct, or at least close to it. :shrug: I just don't like it when commentators take someones quotes or actions and change them around a bit to make it sound better in the current situation of the match they're commentating.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you specifically. I think I'm just SO tired of :weirdo: "OMG Mary Carillo is A FHDGIRTHFDLGFLGJFDGKD " threads in general. She is a biased commentator... but she also has her own POV. Granted, yeah, she can be ANNOYING.... but so are the threads overreacting to anything and everything she says.

lurker
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Actually, I saw it differently. Mary was under time constraints, as it the hour was coming up, and Jelena kept going on and on. I mean really, this was Serena's moment and Jelena was still trying to steal it. Can't she give it a rest? She tried to interject and interrupt a few times. Even when Serena was being given her check, Jelena STILL had to open her yap. Credit to Serena, that she just sorta ignored how Jelena was trying to hog the mic and the spotlight. I believe this is the first time I've seen an award ceremony where the runner up yapped longer total time than the winner.

Optima
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Actually, I saw it differently. Mary was under time constraints, as it the hour was coming up, and Jelena kept going on and on. I mean really, this was Serena's moment and Jelena was still trying to steal it. Can't she give it a rest? She tried to interject and interrpt a few times. Even when Serena was being given her check, Jelena STILL had to open her yap. Credit to Serena, that she just sorta ignored how Jelena was trying to hog the mic and the spotlight. I believe this is the first time I've seen an award ceremony where the runner up yapped longer total time than the winner.

BS. Each player should be able to talk however long they want.

V-MAC
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Actually, I saw it differently. Mary was under time constraints, as it the hour was coming up, and Jelena kept going on and on. I mean really, this was Serena's moment and Jelena was still trying to steal it. Can't she give it a rest? She tried to interject and interrupt a few times. Even when Serena was being given her check, Jelena STILL had to open her yap. Credit to Serena, that she just sorta ignored how Jelena was trying to hog the mic and the spotlight. I believe this is the first time I've seen an award ceremony where the runner up yapped longer total time than the winner.

err....you obviously missed Mary Pierce trying to steal Justine's thunder at Roland Garros a few years back then :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM
They should've used Mary Jo Fernandez, she always does a great job in Miami. I'm just glad they didn't let Dick Enberg do it, I still remember his digusting remarks to Kim Clijsters when she won in '05 :fiery:

Paialii
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM
My problem doesn't really sit with Mary as much as it does the way they interview the players on the court after the final. A question or two is fine, but why not let the player thank who they want to thank? You don't see someone up interviewing each winner at the Oscars/Grammy's etc: let the two speak their part, then interview them, or vice versa.

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM
They should've used Mary Jo Fernandez, she always does a great job in Miami. I'm just glad they didn't let Dick Enberg do it, I still remember his digusting remarks to Kim Clijsters when she won in '05 :fiery:

What did he say?

drake3781
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Mary haters. I like her :lol: It was all rushed because they went over the time slot. Lucky they showed the presentation anyway.

I agree with you, and I like Mary too.

This presentation was somewhat awkward, for apparently reasons of time, and because Jelena got a little carried away. Mary maybe could have handled it a bit better, but most of the problems were beyond her control and she did OK.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I thought Mary's reactions were fine. Mary's responsibility is to move the proceedings along, and JJ antics were getting in the way. In addition, it was time for the attention to be on the CHAMPION not the runner up. For me, it seemed it was hard for a ham like JJ to relinquish the limelight.

drake3781
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I thought Mary's reactions were fine. Mary's responsibility is to move the proceedings along, and JJ antics were getting in the way. In addition, it was time for the attention to be on the CHAMPION not the runner up. For me, it seemed it was hard for a ham like JJ to relinquish the limelight.

Actually, the players should have been apprised in advance of going on the air, of a general sense of how the ceremony would go. The entire thing was a little too off the cuff. It's not any of their faults. Somebody should have taken 60 seconds before going on air to provide some info.

Brena
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM

:rolls:

rockstar
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:33 AM
omg vid please :D

smokie
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
When Jelena took the mic from her I about fell off the couch. :lol: :worship:

The Dawntreader
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Someone needs to upload this on Youtube, so we can all see it again:lol:

Jelena just totally brushed aside Mary for that mic :haha:

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I feel that they shoulda just had an open microphone like usual...or had Sue Barker flown in, she is fabulous! I think Carillo refusing to let Jelena talk made JJ look a little like a bad loser, she seemed to be trying to attract all the attention to her. She was forced out of having her moment which wasn't fair, and people got mad because they felt it was Serena's moment and JJ tryed to steal the show. JJ is such a trip though, and Mary is not.

matty
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Totally agree--Mary wouldn't let Jelena finish thanking her surpporters-it's like she just couldn't wait to talk to Serena. Jelena deserved more respect than this, for sure! Both Jelena and Serena were classy-I feel bad for Jelena--wish they both could have won!

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
She was so cold to Jelena. She even did not give her a micro. Love how Jelena grabbed it :lol:

Carillo :weirdo:

matty
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hey, we could always complain to CBS. I actually think I will!!!!

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I feel that they shoulda just had an open microphone like usual...or had Sue Barker flown in, she is fabulous! I think Carillo refusing to let Jelena talk made JJ look a little like a bad loser, she seemed to be trying to attract all the attention to her. She was forced out of having her moment which wasn't fair, and people got mad because they felt it was Serena's moment and JJ tryed to steal the show. JJ is such a trip though, and Mary is not.

No one got mad at Jelena there :confused:

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Mary Carillo rushed Jelena because the match went over it's time limit.
She was trying to hint to Jelena to hurry up.

The US Open doesn't have music to get someone off the stage like the Oscars, she did what she had to do.

She could give her a minute, at least. If people stayed and watched a match for 2 hours, the wouldnt mind staying 30 secounds more.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
No one got mad at Jelena there :confused:

I've already read a few posts in that vain, but if you haven't that doesn't matter, it's all nonsense, JJ rocks :drool:

dany.p
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Someone has to put this on youtube. It all sounds so hilarious!!!

davidmario
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I wonder how hard Serena pressed her hand while shaking hands with Mary:D

KindaNice
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I agree...I normally love her but she completely rushed Jelena. You know, it was her first GS Final, let her have a moment in the sun. How often to you get to see a runner-up who is smiling, joking around. It could have been very refreshing but Mary completely ruined it for Jelena and made her look bad.
I really hope Mary gets to hear some of these comments somehow. That really pissed me off to no end.

clt96881
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Are you kidding? Jancovic is the one who acted an ass on TV. That question "how much did I get?" was completely off the charts in terms of stupidity. How can you not know what your payday looks like. It seems as if she'd decided that she would get the $1.5m and never even considered looking at the $750k second prize (which is ok in terms of positive thinking, I suppose). But to keep asking Maria, on live TV, how much her check would be deserved the brush off that she got.

I think that Ms. Carillo handled it quite well. She could have really embarassed Jancovic. Can't help but think that if one of the Williams sisters had done that earlier on in their career how much they would have been beaten down instead of the interviewer. Maria is charming and witty. I love her style.

Imperfect Angel
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
:)

-Sonic-
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Worst trophy ceremony I'd ever seen in terms of organisation/timescale/announcers...

Both players got screwed.

Both players handled it well though.

Didn't seem like a special moment at all and its Carillo's fault.

duhcity
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Are you kidding? Jancovic is the one who acted an ass on TV. That question "how much did I get?" was completely off the charts in terms of stupidity. How can you not know what your payday looks like. It seems as if she'd decided that she would get the $1.5m and never even considered looking at the $750k second prize (which is ok in terms of positive thinking, I suppose). But to keep asking Maria, on live TV, how much her check would be deserved the brush off that she got.

I think that Ms. Carillo handled it quite well. She could have really embarassed Jancovic. Can't help but think that if one of the Williams sisters had done that earlier on in their career how much they would have been beaten down instead of the interviewer. Maria is charming and witty. I love her style.

I would have to say that was Carillo's fault. She never announced Jankovic's check, and she basically let Jelena fumble and have no sense of what to do in her first awards ceremony. Also, you'd be surprised how many of these players dont know about their money. Most sacrificed basic education to get to the top. For Example, Justine Henin is apaprently going back to get her high school education. It was played off in the typical Jankovic manner, but could've been an actual question (though I doubt it).

Also, overall the entire ceremony pretty much sucked. As someone else said, Jelena had thanked so many people down to her limo driver, but she had done it in maybe 45 seconds, she woudlve had less if she hadnt grabbed the microphone. Serena also had about 45 seconds, which truly is pitiful. For Jelena, who had probably watched these things on TV, basically got a brunt off ratings-induced football interfering drop-off of a ceremony, which is quite sad really.

SOA_MC
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM
What did he say?

I remember this Enberg was holding the microphone while Kim was giving her winners speech part way through Kim said "Are you going to hold the microphone or can I hold it" in which Enberg said "Sure, can I hold you"

I would have to say that was Carillo's fault. She never announced Jankovic's check, and she basically let Jelena fumble and have no sense of what to do in her first awards ceremony. Also, you'd be surprised how many of these players dont know about their money. Most sacrificed basic education to get to the top. For Example, Justine Henin is apaprently going back to get her high school education. It was played off in the typical Jankovic manner, but could've been an actual question (though I doubt it).

Also, overall the entire ceremony pretty much sucked. As someone else said, Jelena had thanked so many people down to her limo driver, but she had done it in maybe 45 seconds, she woudlve had less if she hadnt grabbed the microphone. Serena also had about 45 seconds, which truly is pitiful. For Jelena, who had probably watched these things on TV, basically got a brunt off ratings-induced football interfering drop-off of a ceremony, which is quite sad really.

Jankovic has been invoved in trophy presentations before there basically the same except for Wimbledon with their protocals

louisa.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM
i did not like what she did to jelena one bit. :O
i know at AO they give both the runner up and champion equal oppotunities to thank everyone, and its usually at least a minute or 2 for each player.
SHE gave JJ like what, 20 seconds? BS!
im glad JJ took that microphone away, its much more pleasant listening to Jelena than it is Mary. :lol: