PDA

View Full Version : Order Has Been Restored to the WTA!!

In The Zone
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:40 AM
:D!

9 SLAMS. And back at # 1 in the world!

Congratulations Serena Williams, you truly are the best! :D

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:41 AM
:worship: venus belongs right up there

kwilliams
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I just hope she plays a decent autumn schedule and stays at number one. Many players have some points to defend but not a lot of points. The good thing is I think she'll be eager to keep her ranking so I think she'll play at least two tournaments before Doha, even if just to defend her points from last year.

The Daviator
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Serena :inlove:

5 different #1s this year :eek:

kiwifan
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM
For me, she's number one, regardless of the computer ranking...

...the computer ranking just serves as a nice muzzle for her critics and haters. :nerner:

LDF
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Serena :worship: Back to where she belongs.

vettipooh
:D!

9 SLAMS. And back at # 1 in the world!

Congratulations Serena Williams, you truly are the best! :D

Indeed she is!!:hearts: Again, it needs to be said..when Serena is healthy and playing at her best level, she is unbeatable.:hearts:

Olórin
Finally back at number one after being away for 5 years. Now the trick is to stay there and win the slams that she's seeded one for :D

doni1212
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Yeah, computer wise, order has been restored!!
It's nice for it to be official!!!
:woohoo:

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Now Maria comeback and be N2 AND Venus N3

friendsita
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Finally We Have A Real N#1

supergrunt
what does Serena have to do to stay a #1? how far ahead is she from Jelena? Could she lose it like in a week???

ys
Seriously, what kind of order you are talking about.. 5 different winners of big titles this year. And , clearly, Safina and Dementieva jsut ran out of gas after Olympics, which took huge physical and emotional toll on both, but they definitely - the way they played this summer - belong right there. And Maria was quite invincible until her IW injury. We clearly have Big 7 right now.. We'll see what's going to happen in YEC and Australia.. Very intriguing situation.

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM
PREACH IT! :worship:

Renalicious
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I hope she is still hungry! Yes she is still #1 and won her 9th GS, but it'll be hard to stay there so I hope she plays with the same intensity.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:50 AM
:sobbing: #1 after 5 years!!!!!! everyone doubted you but you came and proved them all wrong!!!!

RenaSlam.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM
:worship:

Magnificent.

Uranium
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM
:worship:

Magnificent.

Step to this BITCH!

Noctis
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM
:rocker:

-VSR-
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Great moment for Serena, right now! :)

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I dont really care for no.1 I am really happy she won a slam this yr,she can take a break and let the girls that like to chase points beat themselves up,she can play 2 events this fall including the year end event and be ready for Australia:banana:

@danieln1
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Couldn´t agree more this this thread!

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
:banana:

RFSTB
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
She's baaaaacccckkkk!!!! :woohoo::cool:

All the way through hell and back! :worship:

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM
WTA Tour

Serena Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/134;_ylt=ArWuMhSZeufCyZn2tE_mBts4v7YF)
Jelena Jankovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/404;_ylt=Ane319K2XFoKJ.MRstSqeFk4v7YF)
Ana Ivanovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/998;_ylt=AsvzYocB2KB2fphgng1lOpE4v7YF)
Elena Dementieva (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/89;_ylt=AkfKk_WdS1u6X1qMnJ1lk7M4v7YF)
Dinara Safina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/170;_ylt=AqBHa21FDBaVx.lADqPB8IM4v7YF)
Maria Sharapova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/403;_ylt=Arl_7JYYOo.0mfkqQ08lt4w4v7YF)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/151;_ylt=AljHit7zRsHreCpA_zAWnik4v7YF)
Venus Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/87;_ylt=AtD.1U6fuQMISCtsk2lYq6Q4v7YF)
Vera Zvonareva (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/153;_ylt=AhSWyOtM2QQKsrmy7Rr5ymw4v7YF)
Agnieszka Radwanska (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/3928;_ylt=ApORzz6K.siUxwQni9oZiV04v7YF)

vadin124
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
all we need is Masha, Vee and Keothavong to join Ree and JJ in the Top 5, and order will be COMPLETELY restored

Dodoboy.
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Ree,Vee,Masha,Justine,Ana,Jelena,Anne.K

That would be great :):)

Dodoboy.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
:lol:

SharapovaFan16
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Had JJ been facing Andy Murray instead of Rena in her first GS final..

she would have won ..... and ordered would have been COMPLETELY restored.

Huh????? Are you trying to say Murray played bad in that final? Federer was just better.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM
:sobbing:

Everytime I see it, I still can't believe it.

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Huh????? Are you trying to say Murray played bad in that final? Federer was just better.From the quality of the two finals, I'm surprised the men get paid an equal amount of money.

In The Zone
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Beat you to it, Pure. :p

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=356144

southpaw58
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I want Vee and Sharapova in the top 5!

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Congrats Serena! :bounce:

SharapovaFan16
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
From the quality of the two finals, I'm surprised the men get paid an equal amount of money.

Really is that so? Did you watch some of the points in that Federer, Murray match? Did you not see some of the defensive displays they put on, only to turn things back on the offensive side? Go back and watch it one more time will ya?

What a joke. You've got to be kidding me.

SharapovaFan16
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Seriously, what kind of order you are talking about.. 5 different winners of big titles this year. And , clearly, Safina and Dementieva jsut ran out of gas after Olympics, which took huge physical and emotional toll on both, but they definitely - the way they played this summer - belong right there. And Maria was quite invincible until her IW injury. We clearly have Big 7 right now.. We'll see what's going to happen in YEC and Australia.. Very intriguing situation.

Agreed there is no order in the WTA. A bunch of papal states maybe.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM

sweetpeas
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I hope the same thing to!:bounce::wavey:

Adal
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
kewl............for her

SharapovaFan16
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I could care less

FTFY

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Order has been restored for the Serena fans at least :D

The WTA Tour is still the same as it has been all year, we just have another number 1. And Serena is as legitimate number 1 as the other players who have held it this year have been.

Matt01
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Of course Murray played bad in the final against Fed.

And this thread is another waste of bandwidth.

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Really is that so? Did you watch some of the points in that Federer, Murray match? Did you not see some of the defensive displays they put on, only to turn things back on the offensive side? Go back and watch it one more time will ya?

What a joke. You've got to be kidding me.Yea, because JJ didn't play wonderful defense @ all.:rolleyes:

The mens final was the flattest I've ever seen. Gimme a break.

G1Player2
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM

And this thread is another waste of bandwidth.

Sort of like your posts. :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM

And this thread is another waste of bandwidth.Still kinda upset 'bout the retirement, eh? :hug:

Noctis
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
More Flatterys :worship:

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Serena has an 88% win-loss record this year, she has got to half the Grand Slam Finals, she is a Grand Slam Champion, she holds winning records over every top player bar Safina who she is tied with and Dementieva who she lost to, she's earned the number one ranking and has the most tier one titles. I'd say it's pretty much a no brainer that she all the bragging rights to title of the best player in the world right now.

Big 7 :rolleyes: that's almost as funny as your comment that the match was on Sveta's racquet before the 2007 US Open Final.

The WTA Tour is still the same as it has been all year, we just have another number 1. And Serena is as legitimate number 1 as the other players who have held it this year have been.

And this is just my opinion, but Serena is a more legitimate number one than Sharapova who only earned the number one ranking due to Henin's removal from the rankings, and Jankovic who only has one title to her name and who failed to capitalise on numerous matches where she would have been number one if she had won the match. In Serena we have a number one with experience of winning many titles and three Grand Slams as the world number one player. I think she deserves a little more respect than being referred to as "just another number one"

pav
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
You are correct,if this order is determined by the number and or fractions of pickhandle width across the butt!

mykarma
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Dodoboy.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah we all knew that the 'actual' #1 would come after the USO.

Matt01
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Wrong.

Still kinda upset 'bout the retirement, eh? :hug:

I'm not sure what retirement you are talking about and besides I fail to see what this has to do with this tread.

Sammm
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Congrats Rena :hug:

I'm also glad Kuznetsova is back down at number 7. To think... she could have been number 1 after the Canadian Open :tape: 7 is a much truer reflection of the way she's playing, and, I would say, her abilities.

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
You are correct,if this order is determined by the number and or fractions of pickhandle width across the butt!Just like birds and flowers do to my neighborhood every spring, the haters always return with Serena's success.

Ahhhh.....springtime on the tennis forum.;)

In The Zone
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Serena says it all here.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Tournaments/2007/Sony_Ericsson_Open/General/2007_03_27_Serena_article.jpg

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Agreed there is no order in the WTA. A bunch of papal states maybe.dont rain on our parade just because shoulderpova is not playing....I am sure you are gutted because Maria s boss won the USA Open:p

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
And this is just my opinion, but Serena is a more legitimate number one than Sharapova who only earned the number one ranking due to Henin's removal from the rankings, and Jankovic who failed to capitolise on numerous matches where she would have been number one if she had won the match. In Serena we have a number one with experience of winning many titles and three Grand Slams as the world number one player. I think she deserves a little more respect than being referred to as "just another number one"

Based on the last 52 weeks Serena is the best player in the world. But that was also the case when Ivanovic and Jankovic held the top ranking when they did. That's all that matters. I don't think Serena's past career and the fact she was such a dominant no.1 makes her a more appropriate number 1 right now. Sure, it is great for the tour that we have such a great champion back at the top, but her past results don't make her more deserving of the number 1 ranking than someone who is newer to the tour.

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Congrats to Serena! :worship:

Dinara - heir apparent! :bounce:

demented is ranked way too high. :rolleyes:

Donny
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Based on the last 52 weeks Serena is the best player in the world. But that was also the case when Ivanovic and Jankovic held the top ranking when they did. That's all that matters. I don't think Serena's past career and the fact she was such a dominant no.1 makes her a more appropriate number 1 right now. Sure, it is great for the tour that we have such a great champion back at the top, but her past results don't make her more deserving of the number 1 ranking than someone who is newer to the tour.

Up until a few weeks ago (or even until this week, I'm not even sure), the player with the best 52 week record was Henin. All the other number ones this year got the spot because Henin essentially wiped her name off the rankings.

In The Zone
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Winning the US Open, Miami, Charleston, and a Tier II isn't good enough?

Plus making the Wimbledon final? :confused:

That's # 1 quality. She is clearly the best person on tour and her resume for 2008 states it rather OBVIOUSLY. Her pre-2008 resume only emphasizes how much better she is. But Serena, is without a doubt, clearly deserving of the # 1 ranking. Whereas Jankovic got lucky because of the rolling calendar. Ivanovic, to me, was also a legitimate # 1. If you ask most posters (who have a brain), they don't have a problem with Ivanovic. It was with Jankovic.

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
this will give legitimacy to the tour and Serena has been a no.1 before and promoted womens tennis during 2002.No one will question her ranking like what happened when jj became no.1,she is a proven champion who has the resume to show for it.She seems to enjoy the limelight that goes with being no.1 unlike Ana who didnt seem to embrace her status and jj who kept losing to avoid the ranking,let Serena be no.1 she has earned it and for some it makes sense that the 9 slams champion is at the top:bounce:

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Up until a few weeks ago (or even until this week, I'm not even sure), the player with the best 52 week record was Henin. All the other number ones this year got the spot because Henin essentially wiped her name off the rankings.

^^ I personally think Henin should have stayed on the rankings regardless, but she didn't so her results didn't count. Ivanovic and Jankovic, at the times they were no.1, were the best active players on tour.

In The Zone
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
^^ I personally think Henin should have stayed on the rankings regardless, but she didn't so her results didn't count. Ivanovic and Jankovic, at the times they were no.1, were the best active players on tour.

Henin chose to be removed so that her last ever ranking was # 1. And not #783. She left on top.

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Me neither. I do think the way she became number one with a Grand Slam win makes her an appropiate number one right now. I don't think she is more deserving than any of the others, however I simply feel the number one ranking is in safer hands with someone who "knows what she's got and what to do with it", so to speak. And with multiple Grand Slam Finals, and big titles she has shown number one quality this year. Obviously not a dominating number one quality, more of a "leading player on the tour", quality.

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Winning the US Open, Miami, Charleston, and a Tier II isn't good enough?

Plus making the Wimbledon final? :confused:

That's # 1 quality. She is clearly the best person on tour and her resume for 2008 states it rather OBVIOUSLY. Her pre-2008 resume only emphasizes how much better she is. But Serena, is without a doubt, clearly deserving of the # 1 ranking. Whereas Jankovic got lucky because of the rolling calendar. Ivanovic, to me, was also a legitimate # 1. If you ask most posters (who have a brain), they don't have a problem with Ivanovic. It was with Jankovic.

I didn't say she wasen't good enough. Serena is of course the best player in the world as of this week, solely based on her results from Sep 07. But two weeks ago, Ivanovic was the best player in the world. I just don't like people saying that Serena is the one who restored order. Order didn't need to be restored. Had Ivanovic or Jankovic won the USO, they would have been just as legitimate and appropriate no.1's as Serena is, and just as worthy of being known as the best player in the world.

this will give legitimacy to the tour and Serena has been a no.1 before and promoted womens tennis during 2002.No one will question her ranking like what happened when jj became no.1,she is a proven champion who has the resume to show for it.She seems to enjoy the limelight that goes with being no.1 unlike Ana who didnt seem to embrace her status and jj who kept losing to avoid the ranking,let Serena be no.1 she has earned it and for some it makes sense that the 9 slams champion is at the top:bounce:

Ana didn't do her best under the no.1 ranking but there have been others who have done the same in the past. Ana was a proven champion before anyway. As for Jelena, there is no rule saying a non-slam champion cannot be number 1. The rankings are not based on no. of slams.

heartBREAKeRS
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM

HATER! Your barbie is out for now, so take a candy and seek comfort in it

Olórin
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I didn't say she wasen't good enough. Serena is of course the best player in the world as of this week, solely based on her results from Sep 07. But two weeks ago, Ivanovic was the best player in the world. I just don't like people saying that Serena is the one who restored order. Order didn't need to be restored. Had Ivanovic or Jankovic won the USO, they would have been just as legitimate and appropriate no.1's as Serena is, and just as worthy of being known as the best player in the world.

Ana didn't do her best under the no.1 ranking but there have been others who have done the same in the past. Ana was a proven champion before anyway. As for Jelena, there is no rule saying a non-slam champion cannot be number 1. The rankings are not based on no. of slams.

That's a matter of opinion. Ana is injured slumping and by her own admission was not playing like a world number one player. Personally, I would like to have a world number one who can play like she is.

Dave.
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Henin chose to be removed so that her last ever ranking was # 1. And not #783. She left on top.

I don't think that should be a player's decision. :shrug:

Me neither. I do think the way she became number one with a Grand Slam win makes her an appropiate number one right now. I don't think she is more deserving than any of the others, however I simply feel the number one ranking is in safer hands with someone who "knows what she's got and what to do with it", so to speak. And with multiple Grand Slam Finals, and big titles she has shown number one quality this year. Obviously not a dominating number one quality, more of a "leading player on the tour", quality.

That's a great way of putting yet. Yes that is true, she has handled the top spot well in the past and should do so again here (unlike Ivanovic did in June).

In The Zone
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM

I see your point now. And well, too bad. :p Serena is # 1, she got to restore order. :):):):)

Donny
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I don't think that should be a player's decision. :shrug:

Me either. It's equivalent to tampering with the rankings.

The Dawntreader
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
It's true that Serena's results this year havent been as oustanding as to put her leagues above everyone else, but the number 1 mantle is surely safer in her hands than any other right now. Jankovic and Ivanovic obviously cannot hack the emotional pressure of being number 1, but Serena can and will certaintly relish being the world's best player again. I think the US Open showed how mentally strong the current number 1 is, and i cant see anyone else with the same fortitude to take the number 1 ranking right now. Perhaps Safina, but i think even she would have to play outstandingly week after week to supplant Serena now.

Serena's there to stay for a while yet IMO;)

frontier
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I am sure the powers that be at WTA are happy that someone like Serena is no.1....Serena transcends sports and her celebrity will help in keeping womens tennis relevant.

homogenius
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
pff easy with a field as weak as this one :p

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
OMG..."shoulderpova"....i have heard it all!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Pureracket
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:35 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/reputation/reputation_neg.gifOrder Has Been Restored... (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=14029792#post14029792)Sep 9th, 2008 03:57 PMMatt01 (http://www.tennisforum.com/member.php?u=36407) I hate you :)

shell
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Agreed. We all understand the 52 rolling week rankings, but the general public won't and need to see a dominant player. Right now it is Serena, with her form in the last two GSs. So call it order, or just call it rising to the call - she is number one and is playing like it.

F-R-E-A-K
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:00 AM
:hearts: :hearts:

ivanban
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ahhh, if only Vee and Maria could be #2 and #3, bitchin' will stop and we could all sleep peacefully :lol:

frontier
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ahhh, if only Vee and Maria could be #2 and #3, bitchin' will stop and we could all sleep peacefully :lol:for once you make sense:worship:

Serenita
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Finally a REAL no1

serenafan08
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Absolutely. Great to see a champion return to prominence. Serena proved that hard work and perserverance pay off in the long run. Way to go champ!!! :bounce: :hearts: :yeah:

In The Zone
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/reputation/reputation_neg.gifOrder Has Been Restored... (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=14029792#post14029792)Sep 9th, 2008 03:57 PMMatt01 (http://www.tennisforum.com/member.php?u=36407) I hate you :)

Now, Pure. That is real bitterness. :lol:

Matt01
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM

What I'm telling via the rep function is meant to be private only for you and should not be revealed to the other posters. As far as I know, people were already banned for less.

Olórin
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
What I'm telling via the rep function is meant to be private only for you and should not be revealed to the other posters. As far as I know, people were already banned for less.

Why do you hate him Matt? Why :awww:

hotandspicey
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
The changing of The Guards!! :banana: ;)

terjw
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I think it's fitting that Serena is #1 and that she wasn't #1 before the USO. Because she's now actually earned it with results. It is a great way to get to #1 by winning a tournament and especially winning a slam.

I hate to see #1 changing when it's because a load of points are wiped off one player and it doesn't relate to what a player does in the current tournament.

CuteKoala
Sep 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Jelena will have reconquered the throne by the end of the season as she can still gain a huge amount of ranking points. :cool: Order will be restored thereupon. :devil:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9339/serenadeathmy7.jpg

Olórin
Sep 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Jelena will have reconquered the throne by the end of the season as she can still gain a huge amount of ranking points. :cool: Order will be restored thereupon. :devil:

Jelena has only won one title in her last 20 attempts or something around that. Even if she won Beijing next week, she would not be number one. I would not count on it.

azinna
Sep 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yep. And it's a bit telling that Jelena once again couldn't make the most of another opportunity to take the #1 spot with a win. Perhaps in the future JJ will be ready. But right now Serena seems much more comfortable claiming the top spot.

frontier
Sep 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Serena is the real deal no1 and this year has solidified that ranking by winning a slam,no one is questioning this ranking because everyone who has followed tennis knows that she is the Queen of women s tennis..even the other players like Ana,Safina and Vesnina recognize that she is a great champion.