PDA

View Full Version : USO Final : [4] Serena Williams (USA) Def. [2] Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 6-4 7-5

Pages : [1] 2

LindsayRulz
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Amazing match :worship:

BuTtErFrEnA
amazing match!!!!!1 :worship: great that serena won!!!!

ikarinokami
so anti-climatic. stop putting venus and serena in the same fing half of the draw.

Uranium
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:29 AM
:spit: at Richard's girlfriend being the first to hug her, while Oracene and Vee are still in stands:lol:
Ree:inlove:

young_gunner913
SERENAAAAAAAAA!!! SERENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :sobbing::hearts::worship::bigclap::banana:

:woohoo:http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/EVANSFAMILY96/Smileys/cheerleader21.gif

:hug::smooch: GRAND SLAM #9, NUMBER ONE IN THE WORLD. :sobbing: I love you so much baby. :hug:

jonnyroyale_13
Got my vote for match of the year. Never seen a first time slam final performance like that from Jelena.:worship: Well done Serena!:yeah:

doni1212
AMAZING!!! :sobbing: I love her!!! :hearts: :drool:

Miss Amor
FUCK YEA, amazing amazing match

wild.river
jelena was so gracious at the net. i feel sad for her.

jbeacinu
fuck

TheBoiledEgg
never in doubt.
she even ler her have a set pt :lol:

Vaidisova
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Really happy for Serena :D

ys
What a wonderful match. Wonderful.. :bigclap:

Awesome Serena, never-say-die Jelena! :worship:

G1Player2
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you Serena so much!!

Destiny
Fuck Yessssssssssssssss

Aaron.
SERENA GOOD JOB!!

9TH GRAND SLAM TITLE

3RD US OPEN

SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS DEMSKA

OH AND SERENA WAS DESTINED TO WIN US OPEN 2008 NOT ELENA :kiss:

BuTtErFrEnA
#1!!!! :woohoo:

Slampova
Congrats Serena. Jankovic should have taken it to a third though :sad: The set points at 5-3 40-0 and 5-4 and then the double fault at Adv-40 at 5-6. Pffft!

Ahwell, theres always next time Jelena :hug:

Once again, big congrats to Serena!

Mikey.
So many chances wasted Jelena. :tears: Oh well, thank god you were finally in a GS final. :)

Well done to Serena. :) She held onto her nerve being down all those SPs. :)

Nikkiri
Yesss! Well done Serena

Nice try JJ :)

Slutati
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:
JJ, you ho Serena wanted to give you the second set :( Take it next time :fiery:

SOA_MC
:yippee::aparty::bounce::dance::devil::worship:

tdot.
Amazing Match!

carling
Yes!!!!!

Dinayer
congrats serena

50Sense
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alias
Oh Jelena:smooch:
Congrats Serena on your 9th slam!:cool:

stkenyi
True Number 1 is back. Go Serena

Serenita
HELL yeah REE, no 1 in the world

BuTtErFrEnA
that was a great match....jj played great for a first time finalist

Venus3000
Congrats to Serena! Well done!

Conor
Serena was, as the Americans say, AWESOME! :worship:

Hard luck Jelena, you tried :)

Destiny
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss Baby Yesssssssssssssssssss

youizahoe
Swilliams rulez. Love you baby.

starin
Jankovic did herself a credit in the final. Played as well as she could especially for her first slam final. :worship:

:bigcry:

Serena!!!!!!!:worship::worship::worship::bounce::b ounce::bounce::bounce::hearts::hearts::hearts::hea rts:

I doubted but that's just my nature. It's hard for me to see the good sometimes. But Serena proves me wrong and I love it. Great job Serena. Amaze!!!!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

ArturoAce.
serena:D

jelena:smooch::hug:

XaDavK_Kapri
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:32 AM
What an absolutely amazing match. I am so proud of Jelena, sure, disappointed, but she didn't give Serena anything. This should have gone to a third set but whatever. Amazing amazing match, I'm proud of Jelena, she didn't show any nerves in her first GS final. :yeah: All credits to Serena, she really WON that match :) God it's such a relief to have a quality slam final in this... pretty terrible season on the WTA.

DemWilliamsGulls
WILLIAMS 2 slams out of 4!!!! Its ON like popKAWN baby!!!! Proud of you Serena!!!!! Much props to Jankovic...she played well......Haters PLEASE take a seat...once again ITS TIME FOR THE WILLIAMS SHOW...ITS OUR PARTY AND YOU ARE NOT INVITED!!!! LMAO!!!!!!! GOTTA LOVE IT!

brent-o
Very high quality match. It seemed like there were no holes in either women's defense. But once again, Jelena plays a top player close but comes short. To think in the Sydney 2007 final versus Kim (and in other close ones), I thought maybe she was just unlucky. Something's got to give eventually though right?

CrossCourt~Rally
This was such an amazing match:worship:!

Congrats to Serena and to all of her loyal fans!!! She 100% deserved to win the match and become #1:worship:.
Congrats also go out to JJ as she really made Serena work for almost every point! I truely believe that she will win a slam very soon! :bounce:

kiwifan
No One fights like Serena, when she's losing a set!!!

:yippee: WELL DONE, #1 :yippee:

This where it all began, the next years of legendary tennis started today. :cool:

ImaVeggie
Congratulations Serena. US Champion again & #1 again!

Exciting match.

дalex
Great match...
Oh Jelena, all those chances....

Congrats Rena :hearts:, great celebration in the end and nice hug at the net.

Brooklyn90
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM
SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooooooooooooooo happy! :cry: :cry:
Amazing match! :worship:
JJ :hug:

égalité
Jeca :sobbing:

Amazing match from both. :hearts:

mapaliey
welcome the # 1......

Mynarco
Jelena choked at 4 SPs :help:
Amazing match from both players

nicidle
yes..serena!
yes... jankobitch,,

fufuqifuqishahah
that was an AMAZING match.

there really were some horrible points, but there were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANYYYYYY GOOODDDDDDDDD POINTSSSSSSSSSSSS

the highlight reel is gonna be forever long

and what a nice hug at the net! :D

jelena also showed some mental stability! i think she will be winning some slams :D

LeRoy.
Order is restored in the WTA.
Serena :worship: Equalling Monica's record at GS wins :bowdown:

kwilliams
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Well done Serena! Congratulations! Grand Slam number 9!

I think it's well deserved after a year when she has put in such effort to play a decent schedule and she's earned some great results. She deserved a slam. She's back at number one and with a slam win, a slam final, two tier I titles and a tier II she truly deserves it. I hope she stays at number 1 for a while!

Well done Serena!

Vamos.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Serena Thank The Lord!!

:sobbing:...I'm nearly in tears; I'm so happy for her! :bounce: :bounce:

44 Winners to 15. Tells the story.

It was always on her racket; fitting that she finished with a winner. :D:D:D...so happy!

freeandlonely
Congrats!

friendsita
wenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
congrats to both players, they gave us a terrific match!
SERENA #1

akosiirwyn
congrats serena
Jelena :bigcry: 3 set points! *sigh* well i hope you can handle it better next time :hug:

stevos
YES Serena! :hearts:
What a match.

Serena played great tennis, from what I could see. I'd like to see the "Something's Wrong With Serena's Ground Game" thread bumped right about now.
Who would have thought she actually WOULD achieve the number one ranking at the beginning of the year?
But it almost seemed obvious that she would be so hungry for this after Wimbledon, glad she got it right.

I like this year's lineup of Slam winners, respectable. Sharapova, Ivanovic, Venus and Serena. Looking back at that it hasn't been so bad of a year.

And two great slam finals in a row.

vw.
That was a lotta fun to watch. Congrats to Serena!

Renalicious
No words can describe.

DemWilliamsGulls
Its all about those Williams Girls......You better ask somebody!!!!!! LOVE YOU SERENA!!!!!!

The Daviator
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Yes!! Serena! :woohoo: :sobbing: You did it babygurl! Slam #9 and world #1!! :rocker2:

JJ :hug: Didn't see the match, but seems like you did yourself proud :worship:

supergrunt
Serena :D :yeah: :banana: :crazy: :bigcry: :dance: !!!!!!

Daniela-Is-Mine
greatest final of the year:worship:

JJ you win the AO or RG next year:hug:

hablo
I think JJ did very well for her very first slam final. No sign of the jitters, nerves. :yeah:

Congrats to Serena. No question who is the best of her generation now. It definitely isn't :bigwave: !!!

Mashafaaaaan
:hearts::hearts:Come on Serena:bounce::bounce::bounce:
NEW N1:worship:

young_gunner913
SERENA SAY MY NAME WILLIAMS!!! :sobbing::worship::bowdown:

JJ such a good match. You tried so hard and did some bitchy things but good match. :hug:

Bartosh
:bigcry: Rena :bigcry: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Amazing match :yeah:

raquel
Congrats to Serena :worship: Awesome performance and back to number 1 and after this, you have to say she belongs there :D

Kudos to JJ too , she played really well and contributed to one of the best GS finals of the last few years. Some stunning rallies and she almost got it to a third set, but well done Serena! :bounce:

Dawson.
well done serena, way better match than i thought/feared. such a cute reaction too! world #1 is definately where she belongs.
hats off to JJ. she played aggressive tennis, which i would like to see her do more often and was very gracious in defeat.

dearplastic
YES! what a comeback. Serena just relaxed on those first three set points. But man, if that went three, Serena was lunchmeat.

dybbuk
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Serena! Congrats, amazing run. 14 set points saved!

Jelena :hug: Great first Slam final. Really couldn't have asked for a better way to represent herself other than winning it.

Spartan
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Great match and so happy for Serena. Her celebration was lovely to watch. :hearts:
JJ fought so hard and nearly forced a third. :hug:
She did better than i expected her to and if she keeps this up will have more opportunities for a slam in the future. :yeah:
Off to bed now!!! So late here but I couldn't miss this match.

40-0
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM
gooo serena!! congrats!!! number 1 thats why u are happy!

tae04
YESSS!! Serena fought off about 15 set points the past few matches, woohoo!

Becool
You Gooooooooooooooooooooooooo Serenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Avid Merrion
hell yeah!! :D:D congrats Serena! :D:D
JJ :hug: you made her work for that, what a great final from both ladies! :worship:

KBdoubleu
That was a truly amazing match. CONGRATULATIONS SERENA!!! 9TH GRAND SLAM AND #1 TO TOP IT OFF!!! Jelena played an extremely good match also, especially for her first Grand Slam final. The last two grand slam women's finals have been great.

Vincey!
That was an amazing match!!!

Jelena really impressed me, she actually looked like a real top 5 in that match! congrats to her, first final in GS doing really well :hug:

Great stuff for Serena :yeah:...I knew she would win, Really happy for her, she deserves it.

cometz9
Congrats to Serena :woohoo: :worship: it should be fitting that she wins the USO after Venus won Wimbledon. Loved her reaction afterward, reminds me of Venus in 2005 :hearts: A truly deserved win and No.1 for Serena. Can't wait for the Fall :drool:

Jelena :hug: :clap2: congrats on reaching your first grand slam final. Too bad she couldn't convert on those sps but she will take a lot from this experience.

Geisha
Wooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I'm so happy. All Serena's hard work finally paying off. What a great match too. Serena involved in memorable Grand Slam Finals as always :) I can't believe she'll finally be number one again on Monday too! After all these years! :lol:

And Jelena :worship: A very well played match for a first Grand Slam Final. She was part of a great final, and I look forward to seeing her in another and no doubt her playing Serena again and giving me fits :lol:

:yeah:

supergrunt
SUCK IT HaTeRZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!111 Suck it!!!!!!!!!11 Just take a whole lot of it and suck it!

carling
I'm so happy Serena got a slam this year. She's really worked hard and deserves it. Nice to see a high quality match as well. Great rallies and LOTS of tension. Jelena can be such a c*nt, but it's hard for me not to like her just little. Way to go Serena!!!

BTW, Venus looked FABULOUS! Very sexy. Love the hair!

Rocketta
Yeah baby! :woohoo:

pov
so anti-climatic. stop putting venus and serena in the same fing half of the draw.
You must be kidding! Did you watch the match?? It was just as entertaining as the WS semi.

Bijoux0021
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:39 AM
No words can describe.
True.

Love your avatar.

Danči Dementia
Good Job Serena :bounce:
thanks for beating Janko :worship:

Shvedbarilescu
Outstanding match. That is a relief as much as anything after two semi finals which were a bit disappointing. Both girls really stretched the other. Personally I would have liked a third set but two great sets is better than nothing.

If there was one single thing that won it for Serena it was her overhead. Jankovic forced Serena to hit a lot of overheads, frequently very tough overheads, and almost always Serena killed them. I have also in the past suggested Serena isn't as fast as she used to be, well she sure was as fast as she used to be tonight. Both of them covered some serious ground and neither of them was making sloppy errors either. Excellent match.

Congrats Serena. You deserved it. :bowdown:

Jelena you played really good too. :hug:

sammy01
well done serena, i only hope the win and #1 ranking inspire you to throw everything you have into tennis for the next few years, as who knows what you can achieve especialy now when the wta needs a superstar.

jj, you have passed 1 hurdle here by making the final, keep it up and hopefuly you will take a slam soon.

young_gunner913
Jelena's speech is going on forever. :rolls:

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
WTG MISS FIERCE STOMPING DIVA!!!
http://yelims5.free.fr/Sport/Winner.gif

I could never root against Serena even if she beat Venus.

And JJ will win a slam she's got the game for it. She just need to be a little more focus during games. She gets to distracted to concentrating on the great shots she hits. Still congrats to her on her first slam final. Here's to many more

Foxy

XaDavK_Kapri
Oh shut the fuck up Carillo. I never understood why they never let the players talk at the US Open. Bitch. Just let them have the mic for a few minutes

DragonFlame
Congrats serena, great reaction there after winning. :D She literally jumped out of the stadium:lol:

Awhh jelena, so close yet so far. You gave away too many gameleads, but your time will come. After watching tonight i definetly see slamwinning potential in there.

StZox
The moment Jelena missed her three consecutive set points, I knew that she would lose the following four games. I just knew.

THANKS girls for the high-quality match. I so wanted this match to go into the third set. Imagine all the drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Serena!!!!!!!!!! You played great.

Slampova
Jankovic handled herself so well in the ceremony... She's a new favourite of mine :angel:

Dawson.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:41 AM
who is that annoying dyke interviewing serena??

Steff_forever
well fought by both. :bowdown:

So we see Vee isn't the only one who misses sps en masse...

Serena congrats, without losing a set to #1 :worship:
and JJ wasn't washed off the ccourt as soooo many thought. Thanks JJ ! :worship:

Zumoq
A great final :D and a great champion :worship:

Ntosake
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Congratulations Serena! You're back at the top again. Awesome!

Great effort, Jankovic!

Hi, everybody!

sammy01
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
SUCK IT HaTeRZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!111 Suck it!!!!!!!!!11 Just take a whole lot of it and suck it!

why dont you spend your time enjoying serenas win, instead of being a TWAT.

why be so bitter, everybody in this thread has had nohing but congratulations and adulation for serena, so go suck on that. :rolleyes:

XaDavK_Kapri
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
"How much did I get ? " :haha: Quote of the year.

LDF
Absolutely fantastic match - congrats to both players on making it such a thrilling encounter :worship:

I am so happy for Serena. She played a great match, serving well throughout and hitting the ball beautifully. That reaction at the end was wonderful :hearts:

Jelena :hug: She gave it her all and she has my utmost respect. She knew she had to be more aggressive and she definitely did that; unfortunately for her a couple of costly double faults late on in the second set, coupled with Serena stepping it up a notch further, proved her undoing. I do hope she gets a Slam in the near future.

Shafanovic.
Congrats on making it to the finals JJ. I loved the interview. Funny. Shame you couldn't convert those 4 set points. :sad::sad:

Destiny
trophy ceromony lol

jelenacg
Amazing match:worship::worship:
Jelena :worship: great first Slam final you will be better next time
Serena:worship::worship::worship:

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Congrats Serena I love you baby!! you really made my day
I also congratulate Jelena for putting up a fight,better luck next time..she couldnt help herself she had to talk about injuries

friendsita
Serena The Champion

~Cherry*Blossom~
Serena :sobbing: I'm so proud of you :hearts: :hug: World number 1 again and winning your 9th slam!!!

Brilliant win Serena :hug: :smooch:

Temporary0369
I love both girls but I was so gutted after the backhand winner from Serena that gave her the match. After watching the trophy ceremony though I just can't feel sad. Jelena is so sweet and funny no matter what. Really the best personality. Great job Serena, if not Jelena then I wanted you to walk away with that trophy so yay.

Derek.
Great job, Serena! :banana:

I'm so happy for her! :D

Great effort from Jelena! :hug:

Mina Vagante
OMG I'm so happy.

Serena Williams is the number one player in the world :sobbing:

It's so weird to say.

Destiny
JJ TRYING TO TAKE HER THUNDER :armed:

Patrick345
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Next step for Jankovic is to play this well, when she is the best player in the draw. It´s always easier to be the underdog, play well and lose. If she brought that tennis to the FO, she would been a GS champion already.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
"How much did I get ? " :haha: Quote of the year.

:lol:

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Longest women final in 14th years

clementine
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Win the Australian Open, Jelena.

I also congratulate Jelena for putting up a fight,better luck next time..she couldnt help herself she had to talk about injuries
She couldn't help it, she's Serb.

gaviotabr
First of all, I'm extremely proud of Jelena, she played a great match for her first slam final. It's not surprising though, as she has a personality that loves the big ocasions, all the atention. But she needs to develop more her weapons, otherwise it will always depend on her opponent.

Big congratulations to Serena! She deserves a slam this year, after all the effort and dedication. You could tell she was really reaaally happy!

Just watched the trophy presentation and it was a lot of fun.

Radix2
Excellent match. Good playing from both players but Serena is simply the best.

alfonsojose
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:48 AM
:rolls: :rolls: :D
Serena :worship: back to no. 1
Jelena :hug: A stonger forehand and you'd fare so much better. Good tournament anyways :)

Julian
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I came to watch just the last game and even then i enjoyed it! Cant wait to see the whole match that I tivo'ed hehe but anyway
i am SO sad for Jelena..but for her first GS final she did pretty damn good!
Serena..what can i say..when she is on NO ONE can touch her..

Svetlana.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I guess JJ wanted to concentrate more on her hear and make up on the court than taking care of the important points :confused: .... as a result she deserves to loose...

Black Mamba.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Great match

http://i34.tinypic.com/mvow9f.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/eugilt.gif

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM
oh and to all those who said serena wouldn't win playing how she did!!! :wavey:

Optima
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:54 AM
:sad:

Devastated. So many chances in both sets. Hopefully this will get her some respect around here.

Congratulations to Serena though, she played unstoppable at some points. She seemed really happy at the end too :yeah:

supergrunt
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:54 AM
omfg- jelena had 3 set ponts

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Jelena's speech is going on forever. :rolls:

:lol: This might be her only chance to speak in a final.:unsure:

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM
omfg- jelena had 3 set ponts

she had 4 ;)

Svetlana.
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Based on todays match Serena deserve more the #1 spot than JJ :devil:

OZTENNIS
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Serena :banana: :banana: :banana:

Awesome win as the WTA welcomes back the real World No.1 :drool: :worship:

Congratulations on Grand Slam number nine Serena :D
Definitely one of the top 10 greatest tennis players of all time now...
Let's hope she can crack into double figures next year :)

JJ :hug: great match, well played.

Great tournament for the Americans with Williams winning singles, Vandeweghe winning juniors and Huber winning doubles.

:)

eshell
This was a high quality match and highly entertaining as well. Jelena has impressed me with her defensive skills, her personality, and her class afterwards. The women's final finally lived up to the hype!

AcesHigh
Congrats Serena.

Stay at #1 PLEASE! At least until these younger players are ready.

SAEKeithSerena
a great day for Serena fans.

9th slam, and back to number one after a LONG hiatus. keep this up, girl. we knew you could do it:)

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Anyone have it for me to watch??

:sobbing:

hankqq
very well played match for the most part, and the best USO final we've seen in a while. Most points were long and we saw some great shot making from both players.

Obviously, I'm thrilled Serena won her 9th slam to get back to #1. It's been 5 years too long since Serena was the best player.

Jankovic fans should be happy with Jelena's play, as she did everything she could and played her best tennis in tonight's match. As this was her first appearance in slam final, I thought she handled herself extremely well. If she keeps playing like this, she will win a slam in the near future (unless she's facing Serena :) )

Go Serena!!!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts:

MagicMilan
I'm so proud of you Jelena :hug: though I yelled so much @ you when you made those DFs :help:
Great match and so gracious :D
Hats off to Serena, she is the deserving winner here :worship:

Mynarco
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I still doubt Jelena would win it in three...but she was sooooo close to a 3rd set
but brainfarted

Jankovic is muchhhh better than Ivanovic.
this is true though.

serenafann
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Yes Yes Yes.Congrats on winning your 3rd U.S. Open. I love you Serena.You showed what a great champion you are you played an intelligent match showing your unique toughness.You are truly the best.

Black Mamba.
http://i37.tinypic.com/5cc2di.gif

Destiny
http://canadianpress.google.com/media/ALeqM5gfAm0a8PswMmTps1ZKXh82nRxfwA?size=s

M.S.F
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Serena :yeah:

Now number 1 :devil:

Great match :D

RenaSlam.
:worship:

The greatest champion of her generation, Serena Williams! :worship:

STEP TO THIS.

vw.
http://canadianpress.google.com/media/ALeqM5gfAm0a8PswMmTps1ZKXh82nRxfwA?size=s

OMG, I was SO worried when she flew the racket up SO high into the air that it'd come down and hit her smack on the head.. :lol: Missed by a good margin, though. :p

champion88
Well done Serena!! :)

Serena saved 14/14 set points this tournament :devil:

alex.stef
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
CONGRAAATS SERENA !!!
When u won that last point I started jumping up and down exactly like you. It is awesome. I stayed all night to watch u and u didn't let me down (it's 7 AM overhere).
I'm sooo happy and relieved :)

RJWCapriati
missed the final but congratulations to Serena....and congratulations on a tie with 9 slams with Seles.

southpaw58
NUMBER 9 BABY!

Good match from JJ.

V-MAC
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Congrats Serena :) Awesome display from her. She dealt with the pressure moments extremely well once again as all champions do.

Jelena - :worship: I'm really proud of her performance out there. I did get get an eery sense of deja vu though with all those missed setpoints (flashback to Venus' match :sad: ). It was always gonna be Serena's party out there but Jelena did a great job of almost gatecrashing it :)

maddogz48
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEll Done Serena!!!! Grand Slam #9.
That match was frigging tense and dramatic. I was soo happy to see you close out the match with that scorching cross court winner.

SERENA THE 2008 U.S. OPEN CHAMPION!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :)

fawnrc
Did anyone happen to see the look on Serena's face when her dad's friend came on court to hug her? She was looking like "what the hell are you doing out here She just gets to excited and has really started getting on my nerves.

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Serena, Serena! WOW...without dropping a set!

zlove
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
congrats serena :bounce:

no surprise though

HRHoliviasmith
congrats to serena! congrats to jelena as well. she made serena earn it even though serena was trying to hand it to her on a silver platter. :fiery: :rolleyes:

jelena needs to develop some focus though....and a friggin' serve!!!!

Cat123
Jelena was BRILLIANT tonight. Serena was better. Yeah, JJ probably should have taken that 2nd set, bbut I'm not gonna give her grief about it. She played the best tennis I've seen her play tonight, she should be very proud. I am. :hug:

StarDuvallGrant
I'm very proud of Serena. 9th slam and #1 ranking. It made my weekend. Jelena represented well - I think she needs to be a bit more steady if not cutthroat though to close the deal. Good showing from her all the same. Congrats to both an an entertaining final. :woohoo: Serena!

jelenacg
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm23/jelenacg/10296877.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm23/jelenacg/10296871.jpg

danieln1
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM
WINNERENA!!!! NUMBERONERENA!!!! FITRENA!!!!!!
Quarterena and chokerena are DEAD!!
World number 1!!!

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Did anyone happen to see the look on Serena's face when her dad's friend came on court to hug her? She was looking like "what the hell are you doing out here She just gets to excited and has really started getting on my nerves.

:lol: You say friend i say girlfriend

But yeah i was like piss off bitch let the father get a hug first :armed:

vettipooh
That's the way, baby! Great enjoyable match. Both players deserve sooo much credit for that. Congrats to Ree on her 9th slam and #1ranking. :banana: Jelena is now a strong contender at future slams. It's only a matter of time till she wins one. Thumbs up to both ladies.

Mikey B
ah jelena! set point!!!

amazing match!! congrats serena, a welcome return to the top! an awesome 9 grand slams! has broken the two year aussie open slam, and has won another slam only a year later!!!

woo! one of the matches of the year, hope jelena can take the positives, and we'll see her in many more slam finals.. she is the true queen of serbia, just hope her slam tally will eventually out weigh ivanovic's...

congrats again serena, a true great!

-VSR-
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
It's hard to describe everything because it's always great to see Serena living up to her capabilities. She deserved this and she got it. I hope Venus can get her ranking up so they don't meet so early from now on.

Serena is one slam away from double digits. :eek:

#1 again, that's amazing. Now hold onto it for a long time. ;)

I'm already looking forward to the Australian Open. :)

Kampi
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Big CONGRATS Serena:worship::):worship:...in the end you deserved to win this one. And congrats for being the new No. 1. My girl Jelena gave you a tough fight and even when I'm sad that she lost, I'm also so very proud of her now. May we have a lot more finals between both girls.:D

GO Serena and GO JJ:bounce:

vettipooh
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM
:lol: You say friend i say girlfriend

But yeah i was like piss off bitch let the father get a hug first :armed:

Can't blame her..she wanted her 5 seconds of fame on a tennis court.:lol: :lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:21 AM

i cringed :lol:

Noctis
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
haters please hide yourself :worship:

Stamp Paid
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM

eugreene2
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Baby Girl!!! You are the 2008 US Open Champion!!!

BK4ever
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Serena is gonna party tonight...lots of parties going on in NYC tonight.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM

:hug:

RFSTB
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM
That was a great match. What defense from both players, both "brung it" big time! :lol:

Somehow I just knew Serena wasn't going home without that trophy tonight. She looked fierce and determined right from the start. Kudos to Jelena for fighting to the bitter end! Great athleticism and competitive spirit from both. Great job ladies!! :clap2:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:37 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/2b/fullj.ceeae1ed6bace366cf3726eb0cbaa470/ceeae1ed6bace366cf3726eb0cbaa470-getty-77848988mh132_u_s_open_day_.jpg

Veronique
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:38 AM
This championship match was always on Serena's racket. It was hers to win or lose. For those who are crying about the 4 JJ set points, how many bps did Serena fail to convert in the 2nd set alone? She could have easily won this match 6-3 6-2. She was a dismal 5/16 on bps the whole match and only managed 2 of 14 in the 2nd set. She rose like the champion that she is though when faced with the reality that she could lose the 2nd set and eventually the match. She had 44 winners/39UEs to JJ 15 winners/22UEs.

Welcome champ! Let's go for GS #10 next year, baby! Keep working hard. You moved great.

yukon145
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:39 AM
congrats Serena!

Richard's gf looks trashy...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I'm so proud of Serena this year, she worked hard and it paid off for her finally.

starin
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:43 AM

:lol::tape:

That was awkward. At first I thought it was some random woman from the crowd who had run up to hug Serena cuz Serena acted surprised and sort moved slightly away from the hug.

No Name Face
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:44 AM
That's what tennis needed....awesome match

Dunlop1
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Congrats Serena

santhuruu
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Woooww, many many many congrats on this beautiful title, and of course the number 1 ranking, match point and celebration was amazing! Soo great to see Richard hug his girl again, and that new girlfriend hahaha.

Oh my god Jankovic, I feel soo sorry for her, I really thought that she would take the match to a third set, she almost cried out there, but still indeed great performance for a first time grand slam finalist. This match was really high quality!

Hardiansf
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Congratulations baby girl Serena! World #1 and Win a SLAM!!! Slam #9.
Soooo happpyyy!!!

V-MAC
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM
And the best moment is.........Serinidad isn't even here to "celebrate" :bounce: I heard he was banned :hearts:

ce
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
well done Serena :)
you played really well :hug:
Jelena :hug:
your time will come
played well too :hug:

Golovinjured.
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Serena was lucky. Cake draw :o Thanks Larry

Vee totally threw the match, they should be probed for match-fixing like Davydenko..

Mrs. Peel
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I vote match of the year as well! Excellent display from both ladies. You do have to feel bad for Jelena cause she played SO well. Serena worked magic with her raquet tonight. She is the greatest!

miss_molik
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Congrats Serena, I'm glad you won :)
Jelena, good job for your first GS final:angel::hug:

Pasta-Na
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
congratulations, serena.

very good fight, jj.

Golindz
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Congrats Serena :worship:

Bruno71
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
That really was a fantastic match. Sure there were errors, nerves, chokes, etc., but the level of play was higher than we've seen in a slam final in a long time. That was the real Jelena Jankovic out there today, someone who can hit the ball, even if no one will ever hit it like Serena.

I do think JJ would've beaten most anybody else today. She really was that good and that determined. With a little gumption at 0-40 she might've taken this to 3. I think she'll take a lot of courage out of this match, and I'm so happy to be a fan of hers right now.

Serena has finally lived up to the billing in my eyes. She played like she should play. The match was in her control from point one, even though JJ forced her to be at her best to win. This is what the WTA should be about more often. Congrats to Serena and her fans, she's the best player in the world.

Natalicious
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM
:woohoo:
so fuckin awesome!!!!!

serena :worship:

Sevenseas
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Congratulations for the Championship title and #1 ranking, Serena! :worship: :worship:

I had no doubt that you would win this final! :bounce:

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM
:bounce::bounce: Well done, Serena!!!!! :woohoo:

You are back where you BELONG!

Congrats too to JJ.. I will probably never be a full fledged fan of hers, but tonight I couldn't help but to admire her. If she just had real weapon, she could have probably been even money tonight. In many respects, she reminds me of JCap in her ability to track down balls. She just lacks the ability to crack a winner at will, alla the JCap forehand. She certainly did serve impressively tonight though.

Well done to both ladies!!!

It's another damn good night to be a Williams fan!!! :woohoo:

heartBREAKeRS
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I usally don't write in here, but this's a must! Gongratulation Serena, Go Girl, yeah yeah....! Smack that hehe

RVD
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/bananalama.gif SERENAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/spinning.gifhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/spinning.gif

I'M SO HAAAAAPPPPPPPYYYYYY!!!!

A slam and the #1 ranking to boot?!?! :worship:
PLEASE don't stop there.
Keep up the good work and continue to cultivate your legendary status. :cool:

And a very WARM THANK YOU to Jelena for making it a DAMN competitive match. :wavey:
MAN!! That was some EXCITING STUFF!!!

Marionated
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Congratulations on slam number number 9 Serena :worship:
JJ :sad: :hug: win one next year

rada
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I’m so proud of Jelena she really had her chances tonight. Well played

Brena
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
JJ :hug::smooch: (and a bit of :smash: for wasted set points)
Serena :hug::worship:

winone23
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Well done Serena!! Back on top!!!! :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Juanes
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM
when will be new ranking? :confused:

homogenius
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Congrats to Serena.She finally got one this year lol. Nice to see her get to the n°1 after so much time (hope JJ will pass her soon though)

It's a bit sad for Jelena but she had her chances to at least push it into a third set...(if only she'd manage to finish points at the net once in a while she would be very hard to beat)
At least she played well for her first slam final.With the adding pressure of n°1 spot and playing Serena, a lot of players would have crumbled but she gave Serena a fight.

Hope it will shut up the people calling her a pusher etc...and that she'll win a slam soon.

The outcome of the final keeps the race to finish year as n°1 alive.If JJ had won this she'd have had a big lead interms of points but now things are still very close so there still be a battle till the end of the year.

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Right at the top where you belong baby!!!!now win the end of year event and solidfy your position right at the hilltop

SoClose
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!:worship: I CAN'T BELIEVE!!! :eek:
SERENA IS NEW WORLD #1 :clap2::banana:
WELL DONE :worship:SERENA:worship:

SoClose
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm23/jelenacg/10296877.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm23/jelenacg/10296871.jpg

:drool::hearts: SEXY

Dodoboy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank Yiu Lord Jeseus Christ1!

No2nmerb 1 In The World!!

Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grand Slam No 1!

Yeah Yeah Yeah!

My Favourite Is Better Than Yours!!!!!!!

Yeah Yeah Yeah!

frontier
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
:drool::hearts: SEXYSerena looks so much younger than JJ in that picture:lol:

olivero
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Great job Serena! Nr 1 in the world :hearts:

JJ :hug: next time :)

rada
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I really wanted this to go to 3 sets :(

mc8114
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:16 AM
:cool:

Tennisation
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM
JJ suffering from setpointvenusitis :lol:

Hashim.
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
:bigcry::sad::sobbing:

congrats Serena:yeah:

Amalgamate
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Serena :banana: I am so happy for you! 3 time US Open champion and world number 1 :hearts:

Meteor Shower
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Serena :woohoo:
congrats :) :D

Ben.
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM
A great match from both players, they were just wearing their hearts on their sleeves giving it everything :worship:

Jelena :sad: :hug: so many chances, but you'll learn from this. Serena just lifted her game when it mattered most and is a worthy champion and worthy No.1. :yeah:

Calypso
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Wow! I predicted exact score!
Congrats Serena, well done!!!

Daniel
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
ok.
Better luck next time Jelena.

Rumkin
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
The williams sisters..never in doubt I guess :p Congrats Serena you deserved it :yeah:

Jelena :hug: maybe next time

shirley
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Congrats Serena!

ciprianned
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Serena :bounce:

madamtennis
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Serena u deserve it more than anyone congrats girl:woohoo::aparty:

MaBaker
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats to Serena :yeah:

Jelena and all that set points :help: :sobbing:

Brena
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
JJ suffering from setpointvenusitis :lol:

Yeah, it's as though that match against Venus made Serena SP-proof! :lol:

nouf
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Final USOPEN 2008 Serena Williams vs Jelena Jankovic
Quality HD 768x576 wmv (included interviews before final + ceremony)
http://wtatour.fr/showthread.php?p=8870#post8870

saniapower
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Poor shot selection at crucial moment cost JJ the 2nd set and the match

Wintermute
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Didn't see it but sounds like an exciting match. Well done Serena!

Jakeev
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
My gosh that was the backhand for the ages at match point.

Telling you watching Serena win was the best drug on the planet for me tonight:lol:

chris whiteside
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Over the moon for Serena and great to see her back where she belongs - at #1.

Really entertaining match with both players giving everything and I have to feel a bit sorry for Jelena. Has she ever played that well and lost? She certainly had her chances in the second set and Serena looked to be tiring so I was fearful if the match had gone to three.

Best Slam final in yonks.

Demska
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Yet more players choking against Serena. She should be so privalidged to be a slam winner in one the meantally weakest era's :worship:

September 8th 2008 - Tennis is dead - RIP

meb
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The match was worthy a GS final.

Congrats Serena. I hope JJ will win a slam at some time.

Nemo_Kool
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
words reallly cannot describe the joy i got from watching that final backhand and the leap in the air...amazing...5 years on and serena re-captures the number one ranking-NEVER IN DOUBT.
So proud of JJ as well, what a match she played! Never overwhelmed by the event and gave Serena fits. Such a personality and after that performance im positive she will be a grand slam champion.

aussie_fan
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Enteraining final, nice to see for a change. Serena played well apart from that lapse in the 2nd set where JJ really should of won it, that DF :lol:

But in the end some fun points to watch, jj's retriving skills always tends to do that, well deserved for serena, enjoy the victory and the no.1

VictorP
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
One of the best final ever. I was glad that I can catch it :)

sonnys
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!! I LOVE YOU SERENA!!!:drool:Congratulations with the 9 Grand Slam title, 3th Us Open...And NR 1 :worship::worship:

maja.amelie
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Yesssss Serena Baby Girl!!! I Love You! :hearts::hearts::hearts:

AJDE

Kworb
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the match. :( Congrats to Serena, 9th Slam title and back to #1!!! :worship:

Jelena :hug:

G&R
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
jelena df on set point.....however great match from both
serena great!!

scoobsuk
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Great match, and perhaps the best US Open final since 1995 - just a shame it couldn't go three sets - it deserved it.

Well done to Serena - she played awesome out there - came out with a plan to work the point a little more, not overhit the forehand, create an opening and then BAM! Deserved the title cos she had to work for it and she was given the chance to falter but never did.

Jelena - amazing slam final debut - everyone was worried she'd put in a poor performance and instead she played probably her best match all year - she played better in defeat here than she did in victory against Serena in Australia. If only she'd been a bit more resilient on the biggest points, set points up, we'd have had a third set and then who knows what.

Never mind, it was well worth staying up for, unlike the last several US Open womens finals.

weary
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Bad luck Jelena :hug: congrats Serena :yeah:

Effy
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM
oh Jelena :sad:

congrats to Serena, proving she is not done yet :cool:

améliemomo
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM
some kind of expected win for serena who seemed so strong during all this us open.
The day jelena will put this "extra thing" in her game,well you know a B plan(coming more to the net,be more agressive,looking for winners) she could win a slam.One day perhaps.

Andy.
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Congratulation to Serena and to all of her fans.

Vlover
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Yes! Great job Serena digging this out and restoring quality to the #1. Hope you can remain healthy for the remainder of the year and keep playing.

Serenita
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
great match, great show, great for womans tennis.

Tennis90
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah,great match.They both played some great tennis,though Serena was a bit better.I really felt sorry for JJ in the end,but she should be proud of what she has done...:)

Chance
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Couldn't see the match live but I was following the scores and fan's posts in Serena's forum and at first I was nervous especially when Rena was broken early, but once she won the first set I felt Rena would win and went for lunch..Lol missed out all the drama.
Congratulations Serena- despite the losses in the last 12 months I always believed Serena would win a slam! All the hard work paid off. And great to see her back at no.1:bounce:

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Probably the best womens final at the open in over a decade. Congrats Serena, you put me through the ringer though :lol: :worship:

Agata.
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Congrats Serena :) She deserved to get her first GS title of the year after a really good season. Well done, even though I obviously wanted Jelena to win ;)

Jelena :hug: But a great tournament for her anyway :yeah:

vesanto
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Congrats Serena. Clearly no one wanted it more than her. Didn't get to see the match, hopefully I will watch it later as everyone is saying that it was great quality.

Oh well, I am still not over Venus loss, in the last 3 US Opens she played, she lost in close matches against the eventual champion so it is kind of hard.

galadriel
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Congrats Serena :kiss:

Lulu.
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Congratulations Serena, you totally deserve this. :bounce:

No. 1 player in the world, 3rd US Open, 9th Grand Slam title. :yeah:

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Great match. Jelena and Serena indeed saved WTA :lol:

Edward.
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Congrats Serena :worship:

Costanza
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/drbna1.jpg

Brena
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/drbna1.jpg

*fistpump* :yeah:

miffedmax
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Well, in a fit of pique I almost didn't watch. Glad I did.