PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic showed me something

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'm writing this at 6-4, 5-5 in the second, so I don't know the outcome of the match. But this is like watching the 2nd Coming of Aranxta Sanchez Vicario. Jankovic can run. These is the most athletic points I've seen outside of Venus vs Serena.

If you aren't watching this match, FIND IT ON THE INTERNET. The points are tres entertaining.

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Holy SHIT what a volley!

doni1212
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Against anyone else, Jankovic might be winning this match, ;)

spiceboy
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I'm writing this at 6-4, 5-5 in the second, so I don't know the outcome of the match. But this is like watching the 2nd Coming of Aranxta Sanchez Vicario. Jankovic can run. These is the most athletic points I've seen outside of Venus vs Serena.

You probably have not watched Dementieva play. She is at least at the very same athletic level than these three.

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
You probably have not watched Dementieva play. She is at least at the very same athletic level than these three.I've been watching Demetieva since 1998. When she said she was 'more mentally strong' than Venus. How'd that work out?

Seyz
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
My God, Against ANYONE else on tour, Jankovic would have won this, but she was up against Serena.
Count JJ unlucky, but she would have beat anyone else on tour, but her first grandslam final and it had to be up against a fit and ready Serena (whom is unbeatable in that mode).

Apoleb
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I don't see the ASV comparison. She took it this close by being aggressive. She went for her shots.

She needs to work on her net skills. She had so many opportunities to come in but kept rallying and lost the points. Even on set point.

pov
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Yep. Jankovic lost and yet showed that her game, spirit and movement are to be respected.

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:36 AM
My God, Against ANYONE else on tour, Jankovic would have won this, but she was up against Serena.Venus is my tennis goddess, so I hate to say this.

You're right.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:36 AM

yep, except venus

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Jelena is amazing. :worship:

and her spirit is so fun!

Yay Jelena and Serena :hug: at net!!!!

Kunal
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:37 AM

amen!

high power, higher quality, pure awesomeness

Mashafaaaaan
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM

Anyone else in the tournament, we're good.

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Venus is my tennis goddess, so I hate to say this.

You're right.

Jelena definitely played great tonight but I thought she played a more complete match against Venus last year. She was a little more aggressive and she held her nerve. She took the 1st set point she got and she really didn't have any big letdowns unlike this match. :shrug:

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
yep, except venus
No, she would have beaten Venus tonight.

alias
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Jelena for the 2009 RG!!

eshell
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Jankovic fought hard in her first Slam final. I'm cheering for her to win one now. I haven't always appreciated her game, but tonight made me a fan. When she's not playing one of my faves, I will cheer for her.

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM

You think so? :shrug: It's really hard to say. Because Venus did beat Janko last year and Janko was much better at closing out games and set points in that match.

BK4ever
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I wish Jelena would play this aggressive in the earlier matches. She tends to be spent by the time she gets to the final because she spends the early rounds being a pusher. She is gonna get her slam.

Marty-Dom
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Jankovic is at least as good of a returner of serve as Serena. She has very good accuracy from just about every position and she is pretty tough mentally. Second only to Serena. Venus is more fragile mentally and she showed it in the quarters.
Serena is still the toughest competitor since Graf.
Like A-Rad, she needs more free points of her serve and she can challenge anyone for majors. If this weren't Serena, Jankovic wouldn't have to ask "how much her check is". Her big prize would be announced over the PA. She needs another 10 mph with good accuracy. But seeing how she is a fully developed player at this time, I don't see her adding power to her serve.
PS: Maybe if she hooks up with Carlos Rodriguez?

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I want to see a Sharapova vs Jankovic slam final.

Optima
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I think I'll be officially devastated if Jelena doesn't win a slam. Which many people say will never happen. With Jelena, who knows.

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I want to see a Sharapova vs Jankovic slam final.

On what surface? Sharapova would probably win easily if she's healthy. Sharapova beat Jankovic easily at the AO earlier this year and she crushed Justine as well who is a better mover. I don't think Sharapova would have much trouble with her honestly. :shrug:

No Name Face
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I liked her tonight.

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:49 AM
On what surface? Sharapova would probably win easily if she's healthy. Sharapova beat Jankovic easily at the AO earlier this year and she crushed Justine as well who is a better mover. I don't think Sharapova would have much trouble with her honestly. :shrug:Look at it this way. Relative to Serena, Sharapova is slow. Make that SLOW. Like a Serena that JJ could hit winners against, AND who's serve wasn't as good. Against a slower opponent, that backhand down-the-line is worth 20 points a match by itself.

G1Player2
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Look at it this way. Relative to Serena, Sharapova is slow. Make that SLOW. Like a Serena that JJ could hit winners against, AND who's serve wasn't as good. Against a lsower opponet, that backhand down-the-line is worth 20 points a match by itself.

That's true and I hate to admit it, but Sharapova is a little more consistent than Serena from the baseline and hits a consistently harder and deep ball. That was the case in the AO semi this year when she faced Jankovic and Jankovic didn't have alot of tikme to set up for that incredible BTL. BTW, I am just basing this on their AO semi-final match.

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yes. Jelena is THE BEST defender on tour. No doubt about it after this final.

Marshmallow
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Venus is my tennis goddess, so I hate to say this.

You're right.

Really? Is it all that clear?

I can't remember the match from last year all too well, but I do remember that Jankovic was playing really well then too but Venus managed to fight back after losing the first set quit easily. But I can't remember exactly, maybe Jelena's new nose was bothering her or something. She did say this is the first slam that she's been totally fit so :shrug:.

Volcana
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Really? Is it all that clear? Let's put it this way. If USOpen finals Jankovic play Wimbledon finals Venus, Venus wins. If USOpen finals Jankovic play USOpen QFs Venus, Jankovic wins.

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Really? Is it all that clear?

I can't remember the match from last year all too well, but I do remember that Jankovic was playing really well then too but Venus managed to fight back after losing the first set quit easily. But I can't remember exactly, maybe Jelena's new nose was bothering her or something. She did say this is the first slam that she's been totally fit so :shrug:.
What does that have to do with anything?

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Let's put it this way. If USOpen finals Jankovic play Wimbledon finals Venus, Venus wins. If USOpen finals Jankovic play USOpen QFs Venus, Jankovic wins.
Those were two different people? I did not know that.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I've been watching Demetieva since 1998. When she said she was 'more mentally strong' than Venus. How'd that work out?

When did she say that? Give me some context, here.

She did beat her in Fed Cup '99. She was mentally stronger that match, sure. I'm almost positive that's what she would have been referring to, but until mid 2000, Dementieva wasn't even a top 50 player. That makes no sense for her to say that.

Anyway. JJ's got a slam or five in her. Because of one match. Let's see her keep this level up deep in slams.

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:49 AM
When did she say that? Give me some context, here.

She did beat her in Fed Cup '99. She was mentally stronger that match, sure. I'm almost positive that's what she would have been referring to, but until mid 2000, Dementieva wasn't even a top 50 player. That makes no sense for her to say that.

Anyway. JJ's got a slam or five in her. Because of one match. Let's see her keep this level up.
You do know that was a dead rubber, right?

Apoleb
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM
BTW, since we're talking about player comparisons, I think Jelena got as close to Kim as she could possibly can. I was reluctant to directly compare them before because Kim was much more aggressive and won matches by being the aggressor. That's exactly what Jelena tried to do yesterday and almost pulled it off.

LudwigDvorak
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:51 AM
You do know that was a dead rubber, right?

Very much so. It made no matter to Dementieva. She accredits that victory as giving her the belief to beat top players. It essentially started her career.

Dead rubber with Venus serving and volleying in the first set, but it's still a win.

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Very much so. It made no matter to Dementieva. She accredits that victory as giving her the belief to beat top players. It essentially started her career.

Dead rubber with Venus serving and volleying in the first set, but it's still a win.
Whatever gets you going, I suppose..... :shrug:

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:58 AM
BTW, since we're talking about player comparisons, I think Jelena got as close to Kim as she could possibly can. I was reluctant to directly compare them before because Kim was much more aggressive and won matches by being the aggressor. That's exactly what Jelena tried to do yesterday and almost pulled it off.
Jelena was very aggressive off the ground, but if you have a strong return game, you can exploit her "point-starter" first serve. She'll never be an ace machine. of course, but I don't see any reason why she can't consistently break 100 on the radar gun and still serve with a high percentage.

tonybotz
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:04 AM
i thought the same thing about arantxa! shes like arantxa 2.0