PDA

View Full Version : Did The Chair Umpire Just Challenge a Line Call?

duhcity
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:51 AM
:confused:

duhcity
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I get that she challenged.
But if Umpire's are allowed to challenge, why do we even need one? I thought they were supposed to make line calls on their own.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Yup. That is exactly what happened. The ball landed near the line and was called in but the linesman was unsighted. Serena was unhappy and the Umpire called for a challenge herself rather than have Serena risk one of her challenges because the linesman being unsighted. The ball did catch some line and the point went to Jelena.

I must say that is the 1st time I have seen an Umpire call for Hawk-Eye. Very interesting.

jbeacinu
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:09 AM
wow
she was intimidated by Serena

XaDavK_Kapri
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:35 AM
wow
I don't think so. It was a pretty good call. The linesman was unsighted, the umpire was probably unsure of the call so she called for a challenge. To me, that's using the new technology in a very smart way. :yeah: Kudos to the umpire.

barboza
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:37 AM
What do you mean by the linesman was "unsighted"?

40-0
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:37 AM
exactly but i think it says on rules they can challenge if the umpire its in doubt too!

drake3781
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:41 AM
What do you mean by the linesman was "unsighted"?

It means that due to conditions, the line of sight between the linesman's eyes and the ball was blocked (usually the player or her racquet were in the way).

Slutati
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:57 AM
yeah...wtf was that all about? :weirdo::weirdo:

vw.
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Odd situation, but Alison Lang handled it VERY well.

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM
The Umpire are not really supposed to over-rule on the far side. What she did was correct. She saved both players a challenge.

-VSR-
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM
That was really smart of her to do and I enjoyed it.

smokie
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I thought it was kind of ridiculous. If Serena thought the ball was out she should have challenged it.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I thought it was kind of ridiculous. If Serena thought the ball was out she should have challenged it.

Serena's initial reaction to it was that someone had called it out, not that he thought it was out, the lines person might have made some sorta signal or whatever...then she decided she thought it was <*******> this far out ....:lol:

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Serena wasn't necessarily saying that the ball was out; she was saying that the linesman who called it in couldn't see the ball clearly because she was in his way. Alison Lang agreed and asked for the review, which proved the linesman right.

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
wow

True. Alison Lang did not have any right to do that. Serena hit the ball, made an error and then complained.

Lang was biased.

If the linesman was unsighted, the umpire wasnt ;)

Thanx4nothin
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It's practically a non-issue. Wy shouldn't the umpire be sure about a call, at least it put both players right and they could both move on. Not like it had any effect on the outcome.

Slutiana
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Lol Serena went all crazy on that and then made herself look like a fool. :tape:

dany.p
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Lang did the right thing in the situation i guess, but it makes you wonder why bother with umpires at all if they themselves can challenge calls.

-Sonic-
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
She said, and i more or less quote:

"If the linesman is unsighted, I am allowed to challenge the call".

If someone wants to find and read thru the hawkeye rules then they can go ahead, but I believe her.

So people can quieten down with their shocked babble.

incognito
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Bad move by the umpire, umpires should only step in when they are certain a ball is in/out, they should not step in because a player is complaining vocally...

Serena was so sure that the ball was out and she put on that disgusted expression on her face like she was getting robbed off that point, so I don't see why the umpire simply didn't let her challenge the call herself. This way she let herself be intimidated by Serena's strong reaction and she saved her one challenge. Given the way things were developing in the 2nd set, one challenge could potentially have affected the outcome of the 2nd set and the whole match...

If someone wants to find and read thru the hawkeye rules then they can go ahead, but I believe her.

Well, that's one rule I don't like, challenges are for players not for umpires. Still, being allowed isn't the same as being obliged. Umpires are allowed but not obliged to overrule close line calls, so not all umpires choose to do that. Bottom line, if you're not 100% sure that a ball is in/out, leave it to the players to challenge the call if they want...

Just Do It
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM

If that is true, what's the point of having an umpire then ? She wasnt unsighted, and she should have reacted before Serena made an error. I am sure she wouldnt challenge that call if Jelena complained :p

Vincey!
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Our commentators said the same after the point, so that is right ;)

drake3781
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Bad move by the umpire, umpires should only step in when they are certain a ball is in/out, they should not step in because a player is complaining vocally...

Serena was so sure that the ball was out and she put on that disgusted expression on her face like she was getting robbed off that point, so I don't see why the umpire simply didn't let her challenge the call herself. This way she let herself be intimidated by Serena's strong reaction and she saved her one challenge. Given the way things were developing in the 2nd set, one challenge could potentially have affected the outcome of the 2nd set and the whole match...

Well, that's one rule I don't like, challenges are for players not for umpires. Still, being allowed isn't the same as being obliged. Umpires are allowed but not obliged to overrule close line calls, so not all umpires choose to do that. Bottom line, if you're not 100% sure that a ball is in/out, leave it to the players to challenge the call if they want...

I agree. Theyhave seemingly blurred the lines between line calls and challenges - between the responsibiities of the different parties (linesmen, umpires, players). Not a good idea.

Apoleb
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Excellent post. :yeah:

ms_nut
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Serena wasn't necessarily saying that the ball was out; she was saying that the linesman who called it in couldn't see the ball clearly because she was in his way. Alison Lang agreed and asked for the review, which proved the linesman right.

Not to nit-pick, but i do think Serena thought the ball was out. If the ball was in, she would have continued playing.Why would she care if the linesman could see the ball or not.

What i didn't get was that Serena seemed really upset like she felt the ball was clearly out.Instead of talking to the umpire, why didn't she just challenge the ball right away? She did have a few challenges remaining.

LUVMIRZA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
It was a very good decision from the Chair !!

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
that was the far sideline and lang couldn't confirm or deny the ball being in or out....neither could the lines person...so if the umpires of the match can't make a call then they have the ability so that they make the right call...what's so hard to understand about that...if it was the near sideline which lang could see clearly then you'd have a point...umpires (unless you are alves) are reluctant to make a call on the far sideline...

linesman can't see, chair ump isn't sure...the right thing to do to make sure there is the right call and proper score is for lang to challenge :shrug: its not that complicated

hingisGOAT
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Exactly.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Exactly.

problem is that lang didn't step in for serena...she stepped in because she herself was uncertain as well as the linesman

-Sonic-
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM

For those who are too enraged that the umpire did something she was allowed to do, read this again. The umpire said if the linesman is unsighted SHE can put hawkeye to use.

Umpires do not overrule close calls, so Lang couldn't have overruled. The hawkeye showed that it was in by a couple of millimetres.

If the linesman was unsighted, there is no call of in or out for a player to challenge. Therefore the umpire used the tool at her disposal (again, she said she could use it, she said it was in the rules) and the right call was given at the end of the point. Now, moaners, be frickin quiet.

RFSTB
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
That was hilarious! What was that all about?

Mightymirza
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
umpires should not be allowed to ask hawkeye :shrug: on their own..Its totally upto players to challenge or not

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Lol Serena went all crazy on that and then made herself look like a fool. :tape:

Yeah, a fool winning a championship and taking the No. 1 ranking. ;)

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM

:lol: What are you complaining about, JJ got the point?!! And, Serena didn't use any challenges in the second set, at least none that effected the outcome. :confused:

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Not to nit-pick, but i do think Serena thought the ball was out. If the ball was in, she would have continued playing.Why would she care if the linesman could see the ball or not.

What i didn't get was that Serena seemed really upset like she felt the ball was clearly out.Instead of talking to the umpire, why didn't she just challenge the ball right away? She did have a few challenges remaining.

Because, I think that she felt since the linesman couldn't see the ball to say in or out (which he didn't say anything), that it should be a let.

Slutati
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
She obviously only did it cuz she was scared of Serena...can you blame her? :tape: Poor Alison :hug:

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
She obviously only did it cuz she was scared of Serena...can you blame her? :tape: Poor Alison :hug:

:lol:

Paialii
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I love how all of the Serena haters are saying she somehow intimidated the Umpire (one of the best veteran umpires on the tour) and continue to ignore the rule. There's nothing to be upset about here: Jelena won the point as she should have, and the Umpire used the technology when the Umpire is SUPPOSED to use the technology. It's a Grand Slam final, people, of course Serena (and Lang) wanted to make sure the call was accurate. If the linesperson can't see it, and it's too close for the Umpire to call (which pretty much means THEY didn't see it), they can use the technology. Point blank period.

vw.
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
The right call was made, but I think Serena should have put her arms up and all that earlier. She clearly hit her backhand as if she thought the ball was in, but started to complain once she dumped it into the net.
But why did she look so delirious? I mean, usually, if she thinks its a bad call, she'll can just challenge, but in this case, it looked like she didn't even have challenges at her disposal..

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
The right call was made, but I think Serena should have put her arms up and all that earlier. She clearly hit her backhand as if she thought the ball was in, but started to complain once she dumped it into the net.
But why did she look so delirious? I mean, usually, if she thinks its a bad call, she'll can just challenge, but in this case, it looked like she didn't even have challenges at her disposal..

I don't think there was a call to challenge. The linesman said he couldn't see.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
When did this happen?

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I don't think there was a call to challenge. The linesman said he couldn't see.
Actually, De, the linesman called it in, and Serena argued that he couldn't see it clearly because she was in his way. Alison Lang agreed and asked for the review, which proved the linesman right. Nobody did anything wrong in that instance.

Denise4925
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Actually, De, the linesman called it in, and Serena argued that he couldn't see it clearly because she was in his way. Alison Lang agreed and asked for the review, which proved the linesman right. Nobody did anything wrong in that instance.

Oh okay, it all went so fast. I know that Serena felt the ball was out and told the umpire that the linesman couldn't see to call it either way and the ump called for a challenge herself.

Balltossovic
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM
True. Alison Lang did not have any right to do that. Serena hit the ball, made an error and then complained.

Lang was biased.

If the linesman was unsighted, the umpire wasnt ;)

The umpire's are not supposed to over-rule on a far side line