PDA

View Full Version : Slam Winners- Only #1's Need to Apply

colt13
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I am a Jankovic fan, but enjoy seeing Serena play too. I know some people feel she was a weak number one, but if she wins this, she fits the trend. With the exception of Myskina and Kunetszova, who only have a career high of #2, every slam winner from 1999 on has been #1 at one point in their career. The other interesting thing is that of the other finalists in the same span, Bartoli is the only finalist never to have been in the top 5(Safina too, but i think she moves up this week).

gaviotabr
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
That's interesting!

Lets see what happens tonight! I'm excited! :bounce:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:05 PM
jokevetadze? I would rather nominate drunk monkey or brie white or dementieva in that option

AnomyBC
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM
So the question is, who will win a slam, but never reach #1? That's kind of complicated.... I think Radwanska may have the best chance of winning a slam, but I think Wozniacki has the best chance of winning a slam without reaching #1, so I went with her :hearts:

Tennisstar86
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:45 AM
yeah... I can see Wozniaki sneaking out a slam or two, but not being #1..... I also dont think Chak will make either one of thes acheivements...

J.Bravo
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I can't see any of them winning a slam unless the top rank players pull a Henin. I went with Caroline though she has a lot of potential

Uranium
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Chakvetadze?:spit:
I think other and Elena Dementieva:)

RenaSlam.
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
None.

Marionated
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM
It amazes me that people can laugh at Chakvetadze being in the poll when she is the most accomplished player out of those four.

Sammm
Sep 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
yeah... I can see Wozniaki sneaking out a slam or two, but not being #1..... I also dont think Chak will make either one of thes acheivements...

The rankings don't work like that anymore, haven't you noticed? If she manages to sneak a slam then she'll probably be number one, as long as the trend of no dominant player continues.

A more interesting question would be the opposite of that of the thread starter: who's going to be the next number without winning a slam??
There were already so many who didn't actually have a slam win to contribute to their points whilst number 1 (Ie they may have won a slam but didn't hold it while they were number one): Mauresmo, Davenport in 2004, Hingis in 2000, Clijsters, Jankovic etc.