PDA

View Full Version : Serena , best player of her generation?

Vaidisova Ruled
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I love Serena's game and I am pretty sure she will win tonight even though I really want Jelena to win this one. Anyway, I have read lots of times that when serena is on, nobody can beat her. That she has a LOT of power. That's what I thought. But when I saw the Serena-Dinara match, I saw that Serena has her limits in the "power section". Dinara made Serena run a lot. And it wasn't that hard for her to return Serena's serve. I am not impressed when I watch Serena (however I am when I see venus). Especially her forehand and backhand. I won't say that she is overhyped but I wouldn't say that she is unbeatable.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, we have discussed this at tedium now.

Demska
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
No, she is over rated and over achieved due to the weak era of 2000-2003.

Justine is the best of her generation. So much more skill and variety in her game.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Of her generation? Only Venus and Henin are close. But, yeah, I think providing Serena wins tonight her edge will be decisive and beyond serious debate.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Justine is the best of her generation. So much more skill and variety in her game.

Not Dementieva??????Safina??????Federer///////111111:rolleyes:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I love Serena's game and I am pretty sure she will win tonight even though I really want Jelena to win this one. Anyway, I have read lots of times that when serena is on, nobody can beat her. That she has a LOT of power. That's what I thought. But when I saw the Serena-Dinara match, I saw that Serena has her limits in the "power section". Dinara made Serena run a lot. And it wasn't that hard for her to return Serena's serve. I am not impressed when I watch Serena (however I am when I see venus). Especially her forehand and backhand. I won't say that she is overhyped but I wouldn't say that she is unbeatable.

A lot of Vaidisova fans seem to overrate the value of power. Serena beat Dinara because she player the steadier tennis. There is something to be said about not making more errors than your opponent too. If we were ranking players solely based on how hard they hit the ball Alisa Kleybanova would probably be ranked world number one right now. Thankfully we don't do this.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
She doesnt care, her fans dont care as long as she is healthy and playing....so doesnt matter what anyone else says.. :wavey:

SoClose
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM

oh Demska ye shut up:ras::boxing:
of,course Serena is the best t.p. on her generation

SoClose
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
or Venus

VishaalMaria
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Well with Serena's match against Safina, it was windy so it would have been stupid to put maximum power on your shots and go for everything. That's what Safina did and she made alot of errors which made it easier for Serena to win; whereas Serena was playing high percentage tennis NOT power tennis to accomodate for conditions.

So if you're basing your post and thoughts entirely on that match, then that also would be stupid.

kiwifan
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
She already is and has been since the "Serena Slam" :cool:

homogenius
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Maybe...but Nicole'll pass her once she'll be back on tracks.

VishaalMaria
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Elena Dementieva was playing in that time period too, yet she didnt win a slam in the supposedly "weak era of 2000-2003"; so what does that say about her? :tape:

Demska
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Elena Dementieva was playing in that time period too, yet she didnt win a slam in the supposedly "weak era of 2000-2003"; so what does that say about her? :tape:

Elena won her first title in 2003. She was just starting out.

Dodoboy.
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
:haha:

I was wondering what Pink Princess was doing trolling in a Serena thread then i looked at the name :lol:

VishaalMaria
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM

So?

Her and Serena are the same age, yet Serena's already given her the "6-0 6-0 double bagel" in terms of achievements.

But it's a fact that Serena is a better player anyway, so kthanxbye.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM

She still hasn't won a slam either lol :(

serenus_2k8
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
:haha: Demska is really scooping the barrel now with the pathetic troll comments. Good work :yeah: Love the new avatar too.

SoClose
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Demska is crazy

Demska
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
So?

Her and Serena are the same age, yet Serena's already given her the "6-0 6-0 double bagel" in terms of achievements.

But it's a fact that Serena is a better player anyway, so kthanxbye.

OG > 8 Slams

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
OG > 8 Slams

2 OG > 1 OG

Demska
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
2 OG > 1 OG

Elena Dementieva > Serena Williams.

Bye.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
2 OG > 1 OG

:lol: :shout:

Thanx4nothin
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Elena Dementieva > Serena Williams.

Bye.

Serena Dementedieva > Elena Willolympiams?????:confused:

égalité
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Вячеславовна > Jameka :confused: :confused: :confused:

Volcana
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Elena Dementieva > Serena Williams.The word 'fan' is reduced from 'fanatic', meaning emotional beyond reason. That's a pretty good example.

Serena Williams has 17 slam titles, 8 of them in singles. The only players close among her peers are Venus (16, 7) and Martina Hingis (15, 5). No toher player from that generation is even in double figures in slam titles, so the as far as I'm concerned, the conversation about 'best of this generation' stops there. You can make a pretty good arguement that Martina Hingis was a better tennis player than Justine Henin. Five slam singles titles and the best doubles player of her generation. (More doubles slam than anybody else and with four or five different partners.) Personally, I'd probably give it to Henin, by a hair, but people who think weeks-at-#1 means something could justifiably say Hingis was better.

Vaidisova Ruled
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
A lot of Vaidisova fans seem to overrate the value of power. Serena beat Dinara because she player the steadier tennis. There is something to be said about not making more errors than your opponent too. If we were ranking players solely based on how hard they hit the ball Alisa Kleybanova would probably be ranked world number one right now. Thankfully we don't do this.
Good explanation and I think right explation.
But when a player, like Serena makes less errors that her opponment and wins it, it doesn't give a lot of credit to Serena or whoever. It's more like she won it because her opponment played worse, not that she played better. Thus, we can't see if the player is dominating.

It'a little bit hard to explain.

miffedmax
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'd say she is. You could probably make an argument for Justine, but I personally give the edge to Serena.

I'd say this summer has cemented Lena D's performance this summer puts her in the Top 10 of her generation (and I understand that "generation" is kind of a loose term with so many careers crossing paths) but she's 9 or 10 on that list. Despite the serve, and the headcase the girl has had a near-permanent spot in the Top 10 and is the only one to make the YEC (and usually bomb out, I admit) with any kind of consistency.

Venus is still in the mix, and might have caught up with her until Serena made the finals. I think she'll win tonight and remind us just how good she is.

There's a fall off after that, with Davenport, Capriati, Mauresmo, Clijsters are certainly up there, Myskina hangs around.

For the record, because of the age difference I don't consider TOB or Ivanovic to really be the same tennis "generation" although I'd understand if you do. I'm not sure where to put Jankovic and a couple others.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Demska is definitely gunning for TWAT contest.:angel:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Good explanation and I think right explation.
But when a player, like Serena makes less errors that her opponment and wins it, it doesn't give a lot of credit to Serena or whoever. It's more like she won it because her opponment played worse, not that she played better. Thus, we can't see if the player is dominating.

It'a little bit hard to explain.

A good player can often produce many more unforced errors from their opponent than a less good player. If an opponent makes 40 errors against you it is not always that you have been lucky your opponent has had a off day. When a player makes it very tough for their opponent to hit winners against them by a combination of hitting with good depth and covering the court well an opponent will very often produce a lot more errors than they normally do.

Kart
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Who qualifies as Serena's 'generation ?'

I can only think of a handful of players I remember emerging to slam winning abilities around the same time as her - Venus, Hingis, Davenport. Maybe Capriati as well seeing she only got to the top around then.

Of those, Serena's in the lead.

Justine was later as I remember it - though I suppose she did get to a slam final in 2001 (?) she was pretty much a disaster choker in those days. It wasn't until she won in the 2003 RG semis that she proved she could win on the big stage and Serena had what - five slams by then :shrug:.

supergrunt
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Justine is in Serena's generation. They are (I think) only a year apart.

friendsita
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM

yes, yes, yes... and because Justine won all for slams and specially Wimbledon. and she has more slams than anybody :lol::lol::lol: plzzz

Serena is the best of her generation and then Venus... and it is a FACT... check the stats

DemWilliamsGulls
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM

Chile boo...she kicked justines ass during that period and kicked her ass right before she RETIRED...with no wimbledon title. Serena has more wins over her, more decorated winning singles AND doubles, has been #1, dominated, changed the game of tennis, has more grand slams and did it WITH her sister....and will MORE slams because she isnt burned out..LIKE YA GIRL JUSTINE...sittin at home in envy, wishing she could've played more.....sounds like Serena AND Venus are the greatest players of their time...they are LEGENDS!!!!! You better ask somebody....:worship:

Olórin
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
lol

DemWilliamsGulls
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM

RIGHT and if ANYTHING...that "weak" area,to me, was stronger because you had Capriati, Clijsters, Henin, Seles, Pierce, Molik, Ruben, Davenport, Hingis, Aranxtra Vicario, Dementieva, Myskina, Petrova, Schynder and Sharapova in late 03...so that LAME excuse of that being a weak area is crazy as cat shit.....try again Demska...;)

Matt01
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
RIGHT and if ANYTHING...that "weak" area,to me, was stronger because you had Capriati, Clijsters, Henin, Seles, Pierce, Molik, Ruben, Davenport, Hingis, Aranxtra Vicario, Dementieva, Myskina, Petrova, Schynder and Sharapova in late 03...so that LAME excuse of that being a weak area is crazy as cat shit.....try again Demska...;)

Sharapova in 2003? :lol:

BTW, when Serena started her domination at RG 2002, two of her biggest rivals (Hingis and Lindz) were out because of injury :wavey:

TTomek
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM

can't agree more ;)

Tennisstar86
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM

just starting out? silly me I thought she was just starting out in 1999... you know the same year Serena won her first major...

Not to mention she took Silver in 2000.... lol
and shes still only got 10 titles to date.....

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
"Serena, the best player of her generation" How many times have I heard that line?:lol: