PDA

View Full Version : US Open Girls F:C. Vandeweghe[wc] d. G. Paz Franco 7-6³ 6-1

Ballbasher
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
CoCo :woohoo: :yeah:

Ballbasher
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Anyone knows what her ranking in juniors will be next week? :)

Uranium
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
:woohoo:

Dinayer
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
coco :banana:

gabi :hug:

Petkorazzi
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
You rock, CoCo! :hearts:

Adal
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
:worship:

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Congrats Co :woohoo:
Without losing a set either.

Dodoboy.
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
:haha:

Well done ;)

ZAK
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Anyone knows what her ranking in juniors will be next week? :)
I think around #12

RenaSlam.
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Magnificent Coco.

Vincey!
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
CoCo :D :worship:

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
she'll be close to top 10 but she wont qualify for a end of year rank as she doesnt have enough tourns on her rank or tourns outside her home country.

Ballbasher
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Derek.
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Fantastic job, Coco! :worship:

Great week for her. :yeah:

sunsfuns
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
First American to win USO girls' singles since Tara Snyder in 1995 (also Meilen Tu 1994 and Lindsay Davenport 1992)

Amalgamate
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
:eek: Wow CoCo I am really impressed you were able to win this. Congrats.

RR-87
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
:woohoo:

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Congrats COCO! Were all so proud!! :kiss::worship:

Dawson.
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
congrats coco, great news for her and for american tennis.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Congrats Co :woohoo:
Without losing a set either.

I know, thats amazing :worship:. I was so nervous when i left for my tennis match as the score was 5/5 and 15 all on CoCos serve! I was thinking about the match the whole time . I also won, but on a much smaller scale :spit:.

Steff_forever
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Coco :worship:

Uranium
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0907_022_coco.jpg
:hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0907_022_coco.jpg
:hearts:

Thanks for posting :hearts::bounce:

Ballbasher
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM

e.kelly
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Great job Coco

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM
what's that itty bitty thing in her hand? :confused:

:lol: :p

How old is Coco?

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM

How old is Coco?
:death: LOL. I know. They sure could have given a better trophy.

CoCo is only 16.

iPatty
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Coco :worship:

I am starting to warm up to her.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
ohhh she's 16 then that is promising. :)

duhcity
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Oh wow. The way she played against Jankovic, I thought she was complete crap. Good thing to know it was just nerves, and she does have talent

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Here is an interview with CoCo after her win today. This transcript is courtesy of poster HARJU ;).

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. Can you talk about your serve today and how it got you out of some trouble at various times of the match?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Well, it got in me some trouble, and it also got me out of others. Like in the first set when I broke the first time she broke right back. I wasn't serving too well. I had too many double faults.
Then in the second set, I kind of got my serve back going in, especially my first serves, and I started being a little bit more aggressive with my second. You know, like the racquet head, kicking it a little more.
Q. Overall what's the impact of you winning this? It's a bit soon to assess, but how does it feel right now?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I'm like on cloud nine right now. This is my first junior tournament win in the ITF, and to do it at the US Open is an even greater achievement for me. So I'm just really happy right now.
Q. Do you see this as a springboard for you?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Sure.
Q. In terms of people recognizing your talent or in terms of your confidence, or how do you think it's going to help you?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I mean, I'm really confident. I was really confident even in the beginning of the tournament. Just starting out I had a rocky first match, but then as it went on I got better and better and my serves got better and better.
It kind of just kept rolling for me.
Q. How much of an advantage was it for you to be around week one and to play a match on center court week one and to have that whole week to get used to the facilities and surroundings?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Well, it wasn't too much of an advantage, but it also was, because I was practicing on the courts. You know, not really just being a loaf on a couch for the week.
I kind of still practiced like I was at home: getting two hours in the morning and trying to get into the gym in the afternoon.
Would kind of just hang out for the rest of the day, but it was, you know, helpful to be around, but also not. I wasn't playing matches all the time, so I wasn't in the match mowed basically. So I mean it helped and it hurt.
Q. What's your best stroke? And can you bump, set, or spike?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Can I bump, set, or spike? Well, I can serve and I can bump; I can't set. I don't spike because I played with my brother on the beach because he's a volleyball player. He's going to Pepperdine, and we played some and he always took the spike, so I only bumped and set 'em, you know.
But I kept doing to like a two‑handed set where it spins, so I just stuck with just a regular pass set. My best stroke, I would have to say is my backhand.
Q. No, I mean your stroke in the pool.
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Stroke in the pool? I have a terrible ‑‑ well, I can swim, but barely. I survive.
Q. Is this your third Grand Slam?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I played US Open last year and then I played at Wimbledon this year, so this is my third.
Q. Somebody told me that you had never played in an indoor facility before yesterday's match; is that correct? And if so, how difficult was it?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Well, I kind of have played in an indoor facility, just, you know, because I was here last year and it was raining when I was hanging out in New Jersey, so I had to go to an indoor facility to play tennis.
But, I mean, it was kind of goofing around. It was different for sure. With the toss of the serve, you know, one toss you wouldn't see a light and the next toss you would see the lights. You change ends and you see it's darker on one side and then it's lighter on the other.
So it was different. I mean, I'm not used to it at all.
Q. Have you learned a lot through the course of this week coming through this tournament?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yeah, I mean, I kind of ‑‑ my game just kind of all fell together in this tournament. I kind of figured out what I've been trying to practice for the past couple months or month, and it kind of just worked.
Q. What's next for you in terms of tournaments in the fall? Playing juniors, or just stick with the pro events? Do you know what the plan is?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: There's not really a plan yet, but I'm definitely going to do both because I only have a couple more pro tournaments yet until I turn 17.
I got to get match play in, so whatever's available I'm going to try and do.
Q. Given your family history in sports and your grandmother, what's the best advice your grandmother and mother and maybe even uncle have given you?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Smile.
Q. All three of them gave you the same advice?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yeah. Except my grandfather tells me to skip, but I'm too embarrassed to do that.
Q. Have you heard from Lindsay?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: No, I haven't. I saw her after she lost her doubles, and then she left, I guess. I don't know.
Q. Have you talked to Robert?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I keep ‑‑ we keep missing each other, but I have all his voicemails still.
Q. Is your family here today?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yes. My mom is here and my dad is here.
Q. Your uncle?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Uncle KiKi is here, and my other uncle Ernest and their kids are all here. So my whole family was here basically.
Q. How are you going to celebrate this?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: My Uncle Ernest is taking us to dinner. I don't remember the restaurant, but I'm excited.
Q. If somebody told you before this tournament started that you would be sitting here on Saturday at 3:00 about to pick up your trophy 45 minutes later, what would you have said?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I don't know. I'd probably say what I said when I found out I was playing Jankovic. You got to be kidding me. You're joking, right? Or something like that.
Q. But you would have smiled?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I would have smiled, of course.
Q. Why do you play tennis given every other sport in your family?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: I play tennis because my older brother played tennis.
Q. That's it?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yes.
Q. How good is he now? This is the one that plays beach volleyball?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yes. Well, he still thinks he can beat me, but I doubt it.
Q. What is his name?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Beau.
Q. And he's going to be a freshman at Pepperdine?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yes.
Q. And he's playing volleyball for them?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Yes. He got a scholarship.
Q. Beach or indoor?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Indoor.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
There also more pics of CoCo with the larger trophy on Getty:angel:.

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Q. Somebody told me that you had never played in an indoor facility before yesterday's match; is that correct? And if so, how difficult was it?
COCO VANDEWEGHE: Well, I kind of have played in an indoor facility, just, you know, because I was here last year and it was raining when I was hanging out in New Jersey, so I had to go to an indoor facility to play tennis.
But, I mean, it was kind of goofing around. It was different for sure. With the toss of the serve, you know, one toss you wouldn't see a light and the next toss you would see the lights. You change ends and you see it's darker on one side and then it's lighter on the other.
So it was different. I mean, I'm not used to it at all.

So NOUF can stop spewing his :bs: about USTA helping American girls by moving the SF matches to indoor.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
So NOUF can stop spewing his :bs: about USTA helping American girls by moving the SF matches to indoor.

:lol: Yeah, i think the only other time she played at this facility was last year when it was raining ;). CoCo is a Cali gal:cool:.

Meteor Shower
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
is there any way of seeing highlights from the match? :D
congrats coco! :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2008-09-07/200809071220822608625.html
-------------------------------------------------------------
American Vandeweghe Wins US Open Girls' Crown

By Steve Pratt
Sunday, September 7, 2008

Playing smoothly off the ground and relying on her big serve to get her out of some tight spots, CoCo Vandeweghe became the first American girl to win the US Open junior title since 1995, with a 7-6 (3), 6-1 win over Venezuela’s Gabriela Paz on Sunday.

It was the first ITF junior tournament final win of any kind for the 16-year-old from Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., in San Diego County, who turned professional earlier this year.

“I’m like on cloud nine right now,” said Vandeweghe, the niece of former NBA player Kiki Vandeweghe and a native New Yorker, whose win was the first for an American girl here since Tara Snyder won 13 years ago. “This is my first junior tournament win in the ITF, and to do it at the US Open is an even greater achievement for me. So I'm just really happy right now.”

Both Vandeweghe and Paz accepted their trophies in Arthur Ashe Stadium before the resumption of the Rafael Nadal-Andy Murray men’s semifinal, and both planned to stick around for the Serena Williams-Jelena Jankovic final later in the evening.

It was an incredible two-week run for Vandeweghe, who managed four games off the former No. 1 player in the world Jankovic in the first round of the main draw. She has the USTA to thank for her Open experience, as she took advantage of the wild cards given to her for the women’s and junior tournaments.

Just playing Jankovic on Ashe Stadium gave Vandeweghe a needed boost of confidence that propelled her through the week of junior play. She did not drop a set in her six wins.

“I was really confident, even in the beginning of the tournament,” she said. “Starting out, I had a rocky first match, but then as it went on, I got better and better, and my serves got better and better. It kind of just kept rolling for me.”

Playing in just her third Grand Slam tournament, Vandeweghe got an early break to lead 4-2 in the first set but quickly lost her service game before breaking right back for a 5-3 lead and a chance to serve for the set.

But Paz broke right back to even the match. “My serve got me in some trouble, and it also got me out of others,” Vandeweghe said. “Like in the first set, when I broke the first time, she broke right back. I wasn't serving too well. I had too many double faults (five for the match). Then in the second set, I kind of got my serve back going in, especially my first serves, and I started being a little bit more aggressive with my second.”

Vandeweghe broke Paz at love to open the second set, and it was all downhill for the unseeded Paz from there. “I never expected to get into the finals,” she said. “I really wanted to, but I just went match by match focusing, I think, and point by point. Just living in the moment. I think that's what got me here.”

Vandeweghe ripped a Paz second serve for a return winner on match point and then looked over to her large contingent of family and friends before reaching the net to shake Paz’ hands.

Paz is currently ranked in the low 400s and plans to compete on the USTA Pro Circuit. She is training at the Extreme Tennis Academy in Hollywood, Fla., and coached by Diego Dominguez.

Vandeweghe has been coached by Lindsay Davenport’s former coach, Robert Van’t Hof, and Southern Californian coach, Eric Amend, made the trip with her to the Open. According to one source, the arrangement isn’t permanent, and Vandeweghe hasn’t decided whom she will continue working with. She said she spoke to Davenport before she left after losing in doubles and had not spoken with Van’t Hof. “We keep missing each other,” she said. “But I have all his voicemails still.”

Vandeweghe was asked after her match what she would say to someone who predicted she would be sitting with the winner’s trophy just two weeks ago. “I don't know. I'd probably say what I said when I found out I was playing Jankovic. ‘You got to be kidding me. You're joking, right?’”

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Way to go Coco :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM

How old is Coco?

Here is a pic of the trophy:p...http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/photos/2008-09-07/200809071220838462467.html?glryid=potd/2008-09-07/200809071220817068609

Lindsayfan32
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Way to go Coco. An heir to the Lindsay throne. :worship::bounce: If the Coco keeps going along the same lines as Lindsay. Coco will be the 2014 US open champion. :)

Uranium
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0907_031_coco.jpg

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Here is a pic of the trophy:p...http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/photos/2008-09-07/200809071220838462467.html?glryid=potd/2008-09-07/200809071220817068609

whewwwww..... good thing there was another trophy. :p

slamchamp
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM
http://www.dilarshad.com/images/coconut.jpg

~Eclipsed~
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM
First American to win USO girls' singles since Tara Snyder in 1995 (also Meilen Tu 1994 and Lindsay Davenport 1992)

:eek: It's been that long?! Well hopefully she can have a Davenportesque career or hell even a Tu one would't be too bad.

Nice going Coco! :yeah:

spiceboy
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Coco and Beau? What the f*ck were their parents thinking? :haha:

Jem
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Pleasantly surprised by this result, as I never saw it coming. Hopefully, this is the beginning of some consistency from Coco and the start of bigger and better things!

Jem
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Coco and Beau? What the f*ck were their parents thinking? :haha:

Beau's not an unusual American name at all. It's typically short for Beacham or Beareguard, but a lot of folks these days just go with Beau straight up!

I don't know too many Coco's, other than the most famous one of all, Coco Channel!

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Beau's not an unusual American name at all. It's typically short for Beacham or Beareguard, but a lot of folks these days just go with Beau straight up!

I don't know too many Coco's, other than the most famous one of all, Coco Channel!

Yeah, thats the only other CoCo i know of with the exception of the cereal CoCo Puffs :lol::p

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:20 AM
They just showed a quick highlight of CoCos match and trophy presentation :D. The announcers also gave a brief history of her familys sporting achievements.:D:bounce:

hammerhead
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Her real name is Kathleen Vandweghe. She had it legally changed to Coco for marketing purposes. :o

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 16th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Her real name is Kathleen Vandweghe. She had it legally changed to Coco for marketing purposes. :o

LINC ?

Anywho, CONGRATS COCO! Mmm, nice choice..COCO VANDWEGHE just flows off the tongue so fluidly! :hearts::worship: