PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Tennis Player

Droolv
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Who would you say is the most inspirational tennis player, either past or present? :p Why? :)

Andy.
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Mary Pierce would be my pick after the way she has battled back from so many injuries throghout her career to climb her way back to the top on more than one occasion. She never gave up and just kept trying.

Slutiana
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Tatiana Golovin... Battled so many injuries by the age she was 20 - had her ankle broken by Sharapova, back broken by Jankovic but kept on going, kept on staying positive and then won her first slam. The Australian Open 2009. :angel:

Davodus
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Tatiana Golovin... Battled so many injuries by the age she was 20 - had her ankle broken by Sharapova, back broken by Jankovic but kept on going, kept on staying positive and then won her first slam. The Australian Open 2009. :angel:

:haha: :spit:

i think kim clijsters too, coming back from that wrist injury, winning indian wells, miami and then her first grand slam all in that year

Dodoboy.
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Screw injuries!

Inspirational players _

Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Althea Gibson
Monica Seles
Martina Navratalova
Arthur Ashe
BJK

Just to name a few :)

ViennaCalling
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Mary Pierce :hearts:

Then Sybille Bammer, don´t laugh! She didn´t have tons of talent, but she reached Top 20 with hard work, hard work and hard work. Admirable :worship:

Dodoboy.
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Yes i agree with Bammer

Petkorazzi
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Bammer is a great player. :)

Anne Keothavong also, her hardwork is paying off.

But Chakhnashvili also deserves a big :worship: for achieving what she has with the support she was given in her early years.

thegreendestiny
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Dont kill me but I think the Cinderella story of Masha from being born in Siberia to being No.1 is qute inspirational.

The same goes for Venus and Serena who hailed from Compton, CA (my relatives told me that it is one of the shittiest and dangerous places in the US)to be the first women of color to hold the No.1 rank. They certainly gave hope to everyone regardless of race and background.

:worship:

Max565
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Martina ;)

Never had the big weapons, the power, the torpedo serve but she sliced and diced her way to Grand Slam glory with guile and a bit of old-fashioned finesse. :)

MistyGrey
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
For me, Graf, Pierce and Seles.

kinseh
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Definitely players who go through hard times with injuries and still manage to find motivation and strength to come back. Kim is a good example. I also admire Tati a lot for not giving up.

As much as I dislike her, Justine is a very inspiring person. She had to go through so much and still managed to have such an amazing career.

BartoliBabes
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
for me, marion bartoli: just the way she fights herself and her opponent on court, always gives 100% effort and never gives up! also because shes very unique and does things her own way and has been strong when under scrutiny about her game and fitness. she's my hero!:)

Zealisa
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
For me the most inspirational player is Henin. She came through terrible illness, personal problems and became a great champ without being too athletic. Just talent and lots of hard work :worship:

Demska
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Bammer is a great player. :)

Anne Keothavong also, her hardwork is paying off.

But Chakhnashvili also deserves a big :worship: for achieving what she has with the support she was given in her early years.

which is? :shrug:

Sam L
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Monica Seles: Freedom from Fear

supergrunt
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
The Williams Sisters for obvious reasons. They are the reason I started watching tennis.

I guess Henin's story as pretty inspirational as well.

OBVIOUSLY Arthur Ashe and Althea Gibson.

supergrunt
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
And Seles

Geoffrey91
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Mary Pierce is my pick !

She's amazing. At her age with a serious injury, she wanna still come back at her best !

After Sybille Bammer is also an inspirational tennis player. This girl was quite unknown before she reached top 20 ! She's not really young but now she's one of the best tennis player in the world.

Zealisa
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah,, I forgot to mention Bammer.

Sean.
Henin - She was smaller and less powerful than anyone on tour but through sheer hard work changed all that improved her forehand and serve beyond measure and became one of the hardest hitters ever. Her story too is inspiring - how she promised her mum one day she would win Rg

Bartoli - does things her own way and doesn't follow the crowd no matter what people say and has really achieved the most of her ability

Mauresmo - never giving up. It would have been really easy to retire when it seemed she would never win a slam. And this year when she wasn#t playing well she stuck at it and now looks to be playing more like herself again

BJK - obvious reaosns

améliemomo
For me the most inspirationnal is Steffi Graff,she is the best,elegant,sporty and gave me the love for beautiful tennis.:)

Then Mary Pierce,Kim Clijsters and even if I dont like all of her I would say Justine Henin.It must be horrible to lose your mother at such a young age,and also the fact she doesnt have the same physique of the others big girls on the tour and being able to beat them all to be the dominant player she was before she decided to retire.
I respect her.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM
:haha: at all the people mentioning Bammer....

But the craziest thing is that actually....they are right. :eek:

At the age of 25 Sybille Bammer had yet to reach the top 100. Heck, she had yet to even win a single match at WTA maindraw level. And on top of that she had a daughter to raise. If someone said back then that she would reach the top 20, win a WTA tournament, beat players as good as Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva and make the quarters of a Grand Slam, I would not have believed it in a million years to be completely honest. That she has achieved far more in this sport than many players with far more ability shows what can happen when a player really commits themselves and work their ass off.

Very often posters in this forum dismiss other players chances of achieving greater success than they have already. The career of Sybille Bammer shows how foolhardy that can be. A player who has the heart and determination to be the best player they can be can quite often accomplish far far more than would on the surface seem possible.

ViennaCalling
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
:haha: at all the people mentioning Bammer....

But the craziest thing is that actually....they are right. :eek:

At the age of 25 Sybille Bammer had yet to reach the top 100. Heck, she had yet to even win a single match at WTA maindraw level. And on top of that she had a daughter to raise. If someone said back then that she would reach the top 20, win a WTA tournament, beat players as good as Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva and make the quarters of a Grand Slam, I would not have believed it in a million years to be completely honest. That she has achieved far more in this sport than many players with far more ability shows what can happen when a player really commits themselves and work their ass off.

Very often posters in this forum dismiss other players chances of achieving greater success than they have already. The career of Sybille Bammer shows how foolhardy that can be. A player who has the heart and determination to be the best player they can be can quite often accomplish far far more than would on the surface seem possible.

Wonderful post :worship:

homogenius
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Vaidisova

Petkorazzi
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Vaidisova

Post of the day. :haha:

Optima
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I personally think they're all at least a little inspirational in their own way.

The more inspirational ones being Serena/Venus/Jelena/Justine/Ana/BJK/Graf/Seles/Sharapova

VishaalMaria
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Serena Williams: The way she just fights and fights and fights, she's "never give up" personified. This also links to how she believes in herself and how people need to believe in themselves too and not listen to what other people say. The way she demonstrated that by coming back to the tour, being 81st in the world, and winning the Australian Open 07 demolishing Maria in the final; that was simply mind over matter for Serena when really her fitness should have let her down. You also have to admire how she came back after her sister was murdered to win slams.

Justine Henin: The way people laughed at the fact that she'd win a slam because of her small frame and how she started off with a good backhand, a medium forehand, and an ok serve, and progressed into someone who had a complete game with lots of variety that could deal with power players and win slams on fast hard-courts. I also loved her mental toughness, she along with Venus, were the only ones that didnt need to scream at themselves or on every point to get back into a match if they were behind. With Justine also, it's pretty sad how she promised her mother she'd win Roland Garros just before she died, but also inspirational that she won Roland Garros four times. No doubt she did that for her mother. Furthermore, this links on how she used adversity in her life in a positive way, how negative personal issues she used in a positive way on the court to bring out first class tennis; illustrated by her 2007 season.

These two players are without a doubt the most inspirational.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Justine Henin :worship:
She went through every unfortunate matter that happened in her life and isn't physically well built to contest in such high competitive sport. She managed to get through all this and become, not one, not two, but 7 time slam champion!:worship:

Vaidisova Ruled
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Vaidisova

Serena Williams: The way she just fights and fights and fights, she's "never give up" personified.

Vaidisova never gives up too

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Justin Henin, she married a gay guy and still her racket grip never changed as the time passed by, so much self control :worship:

Dodoboy.
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
:haha:

When has Vaidosova ever not given up? If she gets broken that's normally the set gone in her eyes.

stevos
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Vaidisova never gives up too

:sobbing:
For serious?

Anyway, I'm going to go with, in my personal feelings on who inspires me, it would be Serena, Maria, and Venus.

All the time (this is embarassing) I'll be doing something that asks a lot from myself, and I'll just tell myself to Serena it, or something. I'll just be inspired by Serena's, Maria's and Venus' fighting spirit, and all they came through to get to where they are.

Especially with my own tennis, I use so many mental tactics of all three of these girls, always staying focused like Maria, fighting back from the brink of god knows what like the William's sisters.

Slutati
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
oh my god :inlove::inlove:
That's like the best thing you've ever said :hearts::worship:

Destiny
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Henin - she showed soo much fight it almost made me like her

Williams sister of course :bowdown:

Volcana
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Althea Gibson - having to battle rasism and sexism just to get a chance to play

BJK - In terms of making the tour what it is today, she's the greatest (read: 'most influential) person the history of the sport.

Among the 'active's ...

Serena - Because she's made more of the opportunites presented to her than anyone else in the sport, even Venus. She wanted to get an education, and be a tennis champion, and a clothing designer, and do some acting, and .... you get the picture. If you want to point to someone and say she's an example of going out and doing the work to get what you want, Serena is a real good example. And that's putting aside the injuries, her sister being murdered or her parents divorce.

juki
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Sandra Klemenschits!

Assuming she makes it back to WTA level tournaments (and she is on her way).

ViennaCalling
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Sandra Klemenschits!

Assuming she makes it back to WTA level tournaments (and she is on her way).

Right! How could I forget her :worship:

SOA_MC
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Althea Gibson she sometimes had to sleep in her car because hotels wouldn't give her a room because she was black someone you can't say didn't play for the love of the game:worship:

Steff_forever
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Monica & Steffi, who else...

friendsita
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
There's only 4 women who has inspire me and they're on my signature.
Venus: For her strengh, self-believe and her class on-off court.
Serena: I had seen her make history in ´99, in 2003, and still today, I just love her power, confidence and her desire of being the best.

The Daviator
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Monica, Justine and the Williams sisters.

frenchie
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Henin

She had the courage to still show up after all the bad sportmanship she showed numerous times

Hayato
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM
ROSSANA DE LOS RIOS.

World number one junior in 1992, then fell in love with Professional Paraguayan football player Gustavo Neffa at the Olympics in 1992. Then she took a break from the tour from 1994-1999, got married, had a baby, and still came back to the tour. Reached the 4th Round of Roland Garros 2000, and went as high as #51 in the rankings. Was that the only comeback she made? NOPE!

In 2005, she stopped playing in February. She had knee and wrist injuries and I, along with Rossana's other fans, believed Rossana had called it a day. Her ranking had dropped to as low as #486. However, she returned in October and continued to play and found a lot of success.

3 years later, in 2008, she re-entered the top 100, after more than half a decade of being ranked outside. A Paraguayan wife and mother of 32 years making a number of successful comebacks. She is by far the most inspiriational player in my opinion. :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM
ROSSANA DE LOS RIOS.

World number one junior in 1992, then fell in love with Professional Paraguayan football player Gustavo Neffa at the Olympics in 1992. Then she took a break from the tour from 1994-1999, got married, had a baby, and still came back to the tour. Reached the 4th Round of Roland Garros 2000, and went as high as #51 in the rankings. Was that the only comeback she made? NOPE!

In 2005, she stopped playing in February. She had knee and wrist injuries and I, along with Rossana's other fans, believed Rossana had called it a day. Her ranking had dropped to as low as #486. However, she returned in October and continued to play and found a lot of success.

3 years later, in 2008, she re-entered the top 100, after more than half a decade of being ranked outside. A Paraguayan wife and mother of 32 years making a number of successful comebacks. She is by far the most inspiriational player in my opinion. :worship:

:worship: RoRo :worship:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Demented :worship:

She actually managed to convince herself and her fans that Olympics are more important that grandslams [which sadly she is not capable of winning], talk about sour grapes..

homogenius
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Stevenson's destiny never cease to inspire me (not sure it's a good thing though).

AndreConrad
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Monica Seles
Steffi Graf

Max565
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Maria, Williams and Ana because of their respective stories.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Demented :worship:

She actually managed to convince herself and her fans that Olympics are more important that grandslams [which sadly she is not capable of winning], talk about sour grapes..

Oh , how funny you are :eek::eek: . I want to be like you

Slutati
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I know right :haha::tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
ROSSANA DE LOS RIOS.

Another great choice. :yeah: :bowdown:

Robert-KimClijst
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'd say the Belgians Kim and Justine. Kim was a great player, the sweetest girl on the tour. Yet she lost her first final 12-10 in the third, choked two slam finals, and was cheated out of a possible Australian Open with a horrible line call. Then she got a career-ending injury. The worst of happenings to the best of people. But to come back after almost a year off the tour and win Indian Wells and Miami back to back then eventually the US Open the same year? Pretty inspirational if you ask me. And as much as I hate her, Justine's story is inspiring what with her mom dying and the bad family and the small stature and all...

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM

I was being serious :shrug:

iPatty
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Monica Seles
Corina Morariu
Sandra Klemenschits

...no one else even compares.

Seles - How many of you could say that you, after being stabbed in the back because you were a successful tennis player, would come back to the tour and play tennis. That is just remarkable and one of the most moving stories ever told. I am surprised more people didn't mention Monica, she was the first name I thought of.

Morariu - Diagnosed with cancer, coming back and actually being successful. Just having the courage to fight through cancer and return to the tour shows the character that Corina has inside of her. She is an inspirational human being and a great person.

Klemenschits - Same beginning as Morariu, diagnosed with a rare form of abdominal cancer. However, her twin sister was also diagnosed with the disease and ended up dying from it. I can't even imagine the pain that poor Sandra must have felt, the last thing on my mind would be returning to tennis and actually competing in a professional match. She, for me, is the most inspirational by far.

Honorable mentions to Gibson, Henin, and Billie Jean King.

juki
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Interesting that no one has mentioned Renée Richards...I'm sure her fight for transexusal rights has inspired many people.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Monica Seles
Corina Morariu
Sandra Klemenschits

...no one else even compares.

Seles - How many of you could say that you, after being stabbed in the back because you were a successful tennis player, would come back to the tour and play tennis. That is just remarkable and one of the most moving stories ever told. I am surprised more people didn't mention Monica, she was the first name I thought of.

Morariu - Diagnosed with cancer, coming back and actually being successful. Just having the courage to fight through cancer and return to the tour shows the character that Corina has inside of her. She is an inspirational human being and a great person.

Klemenschits - Same beginning as Morariu, diagnosed with a rare form of abdominal cancer. However, her twin sister was also diagnosed with the disease and ended up dying from it. I can't even imagine the pain that poor Sandra must have felt, the last thing on my mind would be returning to tennis and actually competing in a professional match. She, for me, is the most inspirational by far.

Honorable mentions to Gibson, Henin, and Billie Jean King.

More great choices. :bowdown:

SVU
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Myskina - she came back onto a tennis court after being totally humiliated and shown up in front of millions at the Olympics semi-final :awww:

:spit: :haha: