PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Schedule

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Firstly, top 10-ranked players must compete in all four "Premier Mandatory" events: Indian Wells (hard courts), Miami (hard courts), Madrid (clay) and Beijing (hard courts).

Secondly, they must agree to compete in at least four out of five "Premier $2m" evennts: Dubai (hard courts), Rome (clay), Toronto (hard courts), Cincinnati (hard courts) and Tokyo (hard courts). Whichever of the five tournaments (if any) they do not play in a given year becomes mandatory for them the following year.

Thirdly, each top 10 player must compete in at least two "Premier $700k" events; one in each region of North America and Europe. These five events comprise of Paris (indoor hard courts), Charleston (clay), Stuttgart (clay), Stanford (hard courts) and Los Angeles (hard courts).

The new rules of 2009 is actually deciding Ana's schedule.
For sure Ana will play less than 20 tournaments, so I think it will look like this:

01. Brisbane........ ..220,000 January.. 05
02. Australian Open. 9,000,000 January.. 19
03. Paris........... ..700,000 February. 09
04. Dubai........... 2,000,000 February. 16
05. Indian Wells.... 4,500,000 March.... 11
06. Miami........... 4,500,000 March.... 25
07. Rome............ 2,000,000 May...... 04
08. Madrid.......... 4,500,000 May...... 11
09. Roland Garros... 9,000,000 May...... 25
10. Eastbourne...... ..600,000 June..... 15
11. Wimbledon....... 9,000,000 June..... 22
12. Stanford........ ..700,000 July..... 27
13. Cincinnati...... 2,000,000 August... 10
14. Toronto......... 2,000,000 August... 17
15. US Open......... 9,000,000 August... 31
16. Tokyo........... 2,000,000 September 28
17. Beijing......... 4,500,000 October.. 03
18. Doha............ 4,450,000 October.. 26

The 700K tournaments that are mentioned on Ana's site. It includes Charleston which is 1 Million. Shouldn't it include Moscow then as well? But probably she will 2 weeks off before Doha.
I'm not thinking she will play Stutgart. Skipping Rome for that can't be an option. And I also don't see her play 3 weeks in a row.
Instead of Stanford she can also play Charleston. That's about 50-50.

Not playing Stuttgart means: She has to play Paris.
Australian Open, Fed Cup, Paris and Dubai in a row seems a bit too much. In that case she might skip Dubai since she has to play 4 out of 5 tournaments.

gaviotabr
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I posted about this in the other thread, but it's nice to have a thread to discuss the 2009 season.

I thought she wouldn't play Charleston, Paris, Stanford or Stuttgart, but with these rules, she has to play 2 of them. I agree with the schedule you just posted. I still don't think she will play Charleston, as I believe she will take some time off after Miami. If she skips one of the 2 million tourmanents it will either be Dubai or Cincinnati.

With all these rules, there's not much thinking to do with the schedule, they totally decided it for the top players.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I posted about this in the other thread, but it's nice to have a thread to discuss the 2009 season.

I thought she wouldn't play Charleston, Paris, Stanford or Stuttgart, but with these rules, she has to play 2 of them. I agree with the schedule you just posted. I still don't think she will play Charleston, as I believe she will take some time off after Miami. If she skips one of the 2 million tourmanents it will either be Dubai or Cincinnati.

With all these rules, there's not much thinking to do with the schedule, they totally decided it for the top players.

Cincinnati is perfect scheduled for Ana.
It's just very strange that she has to choose between Paris and Stuttgart.

bruce goose
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Pardon me,folks,but does anyone know whether the new Monterey tourney on the 2009 calendar is in the city in Mexico by that name...or the one in California??

kinseh
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Great to have a thread about her 2009 schedule. :) :yeah:

I really hope she plays Eastbourne next year. Going into Wimbledon without any match preparation on grass this year was stupid, let's hope she learns from that.

The new rules are going to decide the schedules of the players. :lol:

bruce goose
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
So I guess the silence means that no one knows in which country the Monterey tourney is located??:sad:

The Daviator
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I think the Monterrey event is in Mexico :p

I think she'll play Charleston :shrug: All the top men plays 3 clay events before RG, so I don't see why the women can't.

bruce goose
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think the Monterrey event is in Mexico :p

I think she'll play Charleston :shrug: All the top men plays 3 clay events before RG, so I don't see why the women can't.Thanks,'Daviator';although Ana pro'bly won't come:sad:,I'll try to attend this one.Most of our northern border or near-the-border towns are pretty shitty yet Monterey is an exception.The people are known for being cheap with their money but I suspect they'll make a good effort for the WTA

Dinayer
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Madrid :bigclap: :bigclap:

cant wait to see Ana here in spain :drool:

jonnyroyale_13
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
It seems like she hasnt made any decision between Stuttgart or Paris on her website.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
It seems like she hasnt made any decision between Stuttgart or Paris on her website.

I can understand that. It's difficult.
Stuttgart means:
Stuttgart, Rome, Madrid, week off Roland Garros. That's 5 out of 6 weeks.

Paris might be better than. Fed Cup is not a whole week, but she has to travel more.
Australia, ?, Europe, Asia.

Ana is rarely playing 3 weeks so I understand why she doesn't like this situation.

Is it really needed to say to be glad about increasing the prize money? Like money is the most important now. Of course it's nice, but now it sounds like it's a motivation. She has already enough money for the rest of her life.

jonnyroyale_13
Sep 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I guess really, one scenario(Paris) benefits her Roland Garros prep and the other (Stuttgart) might not. If her biggest prize now is Australian Open, then maybe Stuttgart would be better.:shrug: Im happy with either choice.

MarieC
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Either one of those stretches is going to be tough so I can see why she's not happy about the Paris and Stuggart situations

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Either one of those stretches is going to be tough so I can see why she's not happy about the Paris and Stuggart situations

I just don't get it. Moscow is a stronger tournament than both of them, but still she needs to play Paris or Stuttgart and it doesn't matter if she skips Moscow again.

Cp6uja
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Brisbane , Australian Open (2w), FED CUP , Paris , Dubai

SIX weeks in the row!? No way Ana will play shedule like this... so Paris is out even if she miss FED CUP.

gaviotabr
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM

SIX weeks in the row!? No way Ana will play shedule like this... so Paris is out even if she miss FED CUP.

If Ana decides to play Paris, she will definitely not play Dubai. The players can choose a 2 million event to skip, and in this case, she would skip Dubai. I agree though, that her most probable choice is Stuttgart. But it's not that simple, since playing 3 clay tournament in a row might leave her tired for the biggest prize, that is Roland Garros. And I'm sure she really wants to defend her title there.

jelenacg
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=11379
Serbia-Japan:):)
I think she is going to play for fed cup,she and JJ said milions of times that they would love to play fed cup matches in Serbia and finally it`s gong to happen:worship:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Brisbane is the week before Sydney, so it's 5 weeks in a row which includes Fed Cup.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM
If Ana decides to play Paris, she will definitely not play Dubai. The players can choose a 2 million event to skip, and in this case, she would skip Dubai.

I wouldn't be so sure if that. I think Ana will try to play the 5 tournaments. Who knows how 2010 will look like. She might have the same problem as well.
I just can't understand that the WTA has a lot of discussions and they found this as the best result.
Then I want to know which options didn't make it.

Dexter
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I'll be probably attending Paris so I hope she plays there. And I hope she doesn't play FedCup. Serbia doesn't deserve Ana.

gaviotabr
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't be so sure if that. I think Ana will try to play the 5 tournaments. Who knows how 2010 will look like. She might have the same problem as well.
I just can't understand that the WTA has a lot of discussions and they found this as the best result.
Then I want to know which options didn't make it.

I also think that Ana wants to play all 5 2 million tournaments. That is the reason for the doubt in the first place. But if she decides to play Paris, it's a bit too much to play Dubai right after it, specially if she does well in AO, which is what hopefully will happen.

This part of the rules is really bad. They shloud have a way to avoid making top players play so many tournaments in a row.

And to jelenacg, I'm pretty sure Ana will play Fed Cup. Specially it being in Serbia.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I also think that Ana wants to play all 5 2 million tournaments. That is the reason for the doubt in the first place. But if she decides to play Paris, it's a bit too much to play Dubai right after it, specially if she does well in AO, which is what hopefully will happen.

This part of the rules is really bad. They shloud have a way to avoid making top players play so many tournaments in a row.

And to jelenacg, I'm pretty sure Ana will play Fed Cup. Specially it being in Serbia.

Whatever she does, the decision is tough.
Pulling out of Fed Cup is also a possibility. Of course she wants to play for Serbia, but it's 2nd place for her.
She doesn't have much options.
Just write them on paper and eliminate the worst.

gaviotabr
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Whatever she does, the decision is tough.
Pulling out of Fed Cup is also a possibility. Of course she wants to play for Serbia, but it's 2nd place for her.
She doesn't have much options.
Just write them on paper and eliminate the worst.

I don't think Ana will withdraw from Fed Cup unless she is injured (which hopefully will not be the case). There is some news in serbian newspapers today quoting Ana, saying that she is very happy that she will be able to play Fed Cup in Belgrade. Some times I think like Dexter though.. there are moments when they don't deserve Ana..

KournikovaFan91
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'll be probably attending Paris so I hope she plays there. And I hope she doesn't play FedCup. Serbia doesn't deserve Ana.

why what did they do??

why cant she just drop Paris and Play Stuttgart

peanuts
Oct 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hey, does anyone know if Ana has committed to play in the 2009 Hong Kong exhibition? I know she has committed to play in Brisbane and it starts from Jan 4 - 11. Does this mean there's no chance she'll be playing in HK? I guess I'm still hoping she'll play in HK coz I'm planning to go and watch it. :)

SOA_MC
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hey, does anyone know if Ana has committed to play in the 2009 Hong Kong exhibition? I know she has committed to play in Brisbane and it starts from Jan 4 - 11. Does this mean there's no chance she'll be playing in HK? I guess I'm still hoping she'll play in HK coz I'm planning to go and watch it. :)

Hong Kong and Brisbane schedules overlap so no I don't think Ana is playing Hong Kong

peanuts
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Hong Kong and Brisbane schedules overlap so no I don't think Ana is playing Hong Kong

Aww...:sad: Thanks for the info.