PDA

View Full Version : "Sold out" games, empty seats

RFSTB
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
The USTA claims on their website that all tickets have been sold, yet there's been so many empty seats. Even marquee matchups like the QFs of Venus/Serena, Djokovic/ Roddick, both of the women's SF's, both of the men's SF's had lots of empty seats; doesn't get any better than a Federer/Djoker SF, yet still so many empty seats. I have a hard time believing so many people would just buy tickets then don't show up. What's going on? Were the matches all really sold out as claimed? Or was it just a marketing ploy?

*timtams*
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
i am unsure but the question was in my mind too. U couldn't get them off of ticketmaster and yes you are right there were frickin hundreds/thousands of empty seats in ashe on a daily basis, night matches were a little fuller. I sat in AA for the womens dbles semi, moved down to the middle tier (couldnt get in the lower tier, because of security-altho there were trillions of seats), thought it would pack in a little for the mxd final, no, still most of the top tiers were EMPTY, federer, 3rd match on, admittedly more people flocked in, but still i was front row middle section with a ton of seats clear around me and still all top tier wide open.
So i reckon it was a marketting ploy. Odd though admittedly!

Marty-Dom
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Two words: Ticket scalpers.
It blew up in their face because a lot of people seeing on the website how the event was sold out, didn't bother to come out and try to buy tickets at the window. Every year before this, there was a pool of tickets reserved for walk ups. This year USTA decided to put all tickets up for sale early and they got snatched up- thus the anouncement.
I bet you could get in at below face value on some nights because there were so many scalpers and not enough demand.

Marty-Dom
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
BTW, I think there will be a lot of tickets available for Monday final. I'm tempted to make the trip.

duhcity
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
for day matches, an Arthur Ashe ticket can get you to any court. Its very rare, if ever, that every seat in Ashe is full during the day.

for Night Matches, it is like a party in the hallways. But the biggest part is Scalpers, who buy so many tickets and never sell enough. There are still tickets for the finals being sold on sites like stubhub and ticketsnow.

as for why the promenade is never full. Think of it this way. For the mens final, there are more people are more willing to spend 3000 dollars on courtside tickets than 600-900 dollars on crappy promenade seats.

Plus, theres an indoor restaurant at ashe and the hallways outside of the seats are always packed. I really never get why for that though.
And then theres those that aren't huge tennis fans who leave after a few hours. There are those who dont show up etc.

Id say its the same for almost any tournament.

RFSTB
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Football games rarely have empty seats. They also black out the game on local TV unless the game is sold out. I think scalpers is partly to blame for sure, like what happened with the Beijing Olympics. Those empty seats look bad on TV, especially for the 4 SF matches. It makes it seem like New Yorkers just don't care. TV ratings have been hurting this year too, down 15% Labor Day weekend on CBS from last year. I'm sure having the Democratic/Republican conventions on doesn't help.

I hate scalpers, they are like leeches, always wish someone would just pounce them into the pavement. Why these guys can legally do what they do is beyond me. It's the main reason why we never go to live sporting events anymore. USTA is being lazy if they sell tickets to known scalpers just so they can claim all tickets are sold. :mad:

MarieC
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Corporate seats too. Big businesses buy up tickets that never end up getting used

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the women semi-finals session is NEVER sold out. There's always plenty of tickets left. And I really doubt scalpers are buying many tickets from that session as well.

Today attendance was expected. They started matches 1 hour earlier and many people didn't bother to show up because bad whether was expected.

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM
TV ratings have been hurting this year too, down 15% Labor Day weekend on CBS from last year.

That's not surprising. CBS decided to give the Saturday/Monday spots to Nadal (when it used to be Agassi for almost a decade), and I doubt Americans care really much about him. A Fed/Roddick combo for Saturday/Monday would have produced better ratings.

RFSTB
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:25 AM
USA has been getting really low ratings as well for all their prime time showings. They showed many Roddick matches in prime time. Roddick may be popular among tennis fans, but he's really not a household name like Agassi, Sampras, McEnroe, Connors, etc. His results the last few years certainly didn't help. I used to really like him, these days he just bores me, especially now that he's engaged, he's good as dead to most of his female fans. I'd rather watch Federer or Djokovic. But you're right, most Americans couldn't care less for Nadal, including me. He's unwatchable. Takes forever to get a serve out.

Havok
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Sold out to the general public. Tickets are still on special reserves for certain people, as well as scalpers having tons of tickets to resell and make a profit. Trust me when I say this, no sports event/concert or what have you is EVER sold out. There are always tickets available, you just never know when they will pop up as being available to the general public.;)

That and many people who have purchased tickets don't show up. it happens. especially when businesses purchase tickets; poeople who have been offered freebe tickets often don't show up. Pretty sad since it's FREE for them.:o

drake3781
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Having free tickets, you are much less inclined to go than if you paid for them. Somebody hands you tickets, you have to replace whatever else you were going to do with this. And since you didn't pay for the tickets, you just might want to do whatever else you were going to do because it is something you paid for and/or are interested in and/or just needs to be done.

Also it's a big hassle to get out there to this venue, park, and get in.

And if you are expecting rain, chances are even worse that you will go.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:17 AM
they were all Justine fans who brought tickets before she retired :lol:

Shooter
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Why don't they have empty seats at Wimbledon? What are they doing differently than the USO? Is it the daily queue? If the Wimbledon center court was as large as Ashe Stadium, would it be full for the women's semi-finals? Personally, I think Ashe Stadium is too large. I'd much rather be home watching a match on T.V. than from anywhere in the top half of Ashe Stadium.

die_wahrheit
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
They have invented the virtual spectator at US tournaments.
Not much different from Miami where ladies semi finals are usually played in a half empty stadium.

tenn_ace
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Corporate seats too. Big businesses buy up tickets that never end up getting used

You nailed it. I had a friend who used to work for a marketing dept of one of the major long standing sponsors of the US Open. What she told me is that they would recieve a bunch of tickets, but wouldn't distribute them or sell them internally per its management directive until the week of the Open in case. By that time it was too late as a lot of people would already have plans or would not want to travel. (PS. They did have a lottery, but only 10 tickets were used annualy for this lottery).

Steff_forever
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
they should sell a lower contingent to trusts who just buy for their self-display. One day it will change again cause if seats stay empty even the attention of deep-seated fans will disappear.

stupid profit makers prepare the decay of this sport :ras:

Caz
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Why don't they have empty seats at Wimbledon? What are they doing differently than the USO? Is it the daily queue? If the Wimbledon center court was as large as Ashe Stadium, would it be full for the women's semi-finals? Personally, I think Ashe Stadium is too large. I'd much rather be home watching a match on T.V. than from anywhere in the top half of Ashe Stadium.
I think part of the reason at Wimbledon is that they re-sell tickets inside the grounds for £5 (with the money going to charity). If people aren't going to attend they are encouraged to return their tickets for re-sale in this way, also, if people leave the grounds, or don't wish to watch anymore tennis os that court, their ticket is electronically scanned and re-sold like that. There is always a queue of people waiting at the re-sale queue and it is the best way to get a ticket for the show courts, if the match you want to watch is not first on court, as there are always tickets for sale there. Unusually this year, for the womens final, the minute the ticket office opened at around 2:45pm about 200 (presumably returned before the match started tickets) were sold. I'v bought tickets that way a lot, you take pot luck about where you'll sit, obviously, but a lot of the returned tickets are great, cos they are from the corporate people who don't care about tennis and got great seats for free that they don't want to use.

drake3781
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I think part of the reason at Wimbledon is that they re-sell tickets inside the grounds for £5 (with the money going to charity). If people aren't going to attend they are encouraged to return their tickets for re-sale in this way, also, if people leave the grounds, or don't wish to watch anymore tennis os that court, their ticket is electronically scanned and re-sold like that. There is always a queue of people waiting at the re-sale queue and it is the best way to get a ticket for the show courts, if the match you want to watch is not first on court, as there are always tickets for sale there. Unusually this year, for the womens final, the minute the ticket office opened at around 2:45pm about 200 (presumably returned before the match started tickets) were sold. I'v bought tickets that way a lot, you take pot luck about where you'll sit, obviously, but a lot of the returned tickets are great, cos they are from the corporate people who don't care about tennis and got great seats for free that they don't want to use.

Very interesting.

Mightymirza
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Thats a great idea I think..Very thoughtful :yeah:

RFSTB
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM

OMG the British actually does something better than we do! What is the world coming to! :lol:

Martian KC
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I'm sure it was blake buying them out for his jblock crew for the entire tournament thinking his annoying crew would be with him til he reaches the final.

harloo
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM

I also think Ashe Stadium is too large but most of the time they fill up during night matches. I know that ticketmaster has a $10 per ticket promotion every year but those are for cheap seats. In my opinion, by the time you pay for nose bleed seats on Ashe you might as well just buy a grounds pass and call it a day.

exposbabe
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
That's a fact. Nobody in their right mind would sit in Arthur Ashe the first 10 days of the tournament, watching two ants chase a pea around.

You'd rather watch a lesser match close up. Because it's all tennis.

That, plus the big stars are on Ashe in the earlier round and more often than not, the matches aren't all that competitive.

The lineup at Louis Armstrong, I've noticed this year, has consistently been better all around. Grandstand matches have been great as well (Tsonga-Moya, Murray-Llodra and so many more).

Check out my tennis blog (http://opencourt.ca), live at the U.S. Open right now!

Jem
Sep 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I went to the Open the past two years, and though I had tickets for Ashe Stadium, I opted to watch matches on the outside courts. For the most part, the folks they had scheduled on ashe did not interest me as much as some of the other courts. But I'll say this. While it's a big stadium, you can see remarkabley well. I watched Agassi's final match a few years back and we were in the very top row. Still, you could hear the ball being struck and see it very well. The only difficulty was when it was very close to the line, and you couldn't know if it was in or out. But that's no different than when you're close to the court. It was funny, as all I'd ever heard was people bash the stadium because of its size and the distance from the court. And in reality, it turned out to be very good seating, with excellent views.

SSA
Sep 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I hate scalpers, they are like leeches, always wish someone would just pounce them into the pavement. Why these guys can legally do what they do is beyond me. It's the main reason why we never go to live sporting events anymore. USTA is being lazy if they sell tickets to known scalpers just so they can claim all tickets are sold. :mad:

The scalpers only buy the tickets because they know that that the tickets are so underpriced. A lot of people are willing to pay more for them. The USTA or the owner of ANY sports facility could eliminate most scalping just by raising prices. When tickets are vastly underpriced you can buy a block of tickets and resell them for twice ticket price and still easily sell all of your tickets because so many people would be willing to pay that price even if it were face value.