PDA

View Full Version : What airlines do players use to travel?

barboza
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I've seen Venus and Serena travel by Cathay and Qantas, but I've never spotted any player on Singapore Airlines which, in my opinion, is the best carrier. Any sightings or insider information regarding this? I'm also curious to know which airline players use on a regular basis...

IMPOSSIBLE
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'd imagine most players travel with the National Airline of the country they represent.

Great Britian > British Airways
Sweden > SAS
Denmark > SAS
Norway > SAS
Finland > Finn Air
Germany > Lufthasna
Spain > Iberia

e.t.c

Paule22
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM
And I would say that many book the cheapest flight they can get.

Tennisstar86
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM

lol exactly....

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
top players and gs champs use these airlines-

Jelena- Makeup-ways
Ivanovic- Ajde airways
Sharapova- camile airways
Venus- Queen airways
Serena- serena? airways, occasionally Iforgotmyassbackthere airways
Kuznetsova- Ilovenadia'sboobies airways
Safina- Matchpoint airways
Mauresmo- WhythefckamIstillplaying airways
Davenport- Missed her flight
Chakvetadze - oh wait , this section is only for top players.

Not so top players use these airways

Schnyder - FckConchita airways
elena- thedemented airways
Bartoli- cakeways
Tati- injury airways

some rich retired players-

clijsters- splitways
juju- ImarriedagayguynowIusemyhandinstead ways
Navratilova- is she retired for sure?

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Especialy if your a lower ranked player:awww:

ce
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Jelena- Makeup-ways
Ivanovic- Ajde airways
Venus- Queen airways
Serena- serena? airways

Bartoli- cakeways
Tati- injury airways

clijsters- splitways
juju- ImarriesagayguynowIusemyhandinstead ways

OMFG
:rolls:
post of the year :haha:
:haha:

heart
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
i guess it depends on the tournament..if the tournament is sponsored by an airline usually that's the airline they'll use..for example qatar airways fo qatar open ;)

Vlad Tepes
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM
:haha:

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
tati flys 'easy'jet, no explanation needed why.

G&R
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Jelena- Makeup-ways
Ivanovic- Ajde airways
Venus- Queen airways
Serena- serena? airways, occasionally Iforgotmyassbackthere airways

Bartoli- cakeways
Tati- injury airways

clijsters- splitways
juju- ImarriedagayguynowIusemyhandinstead ways

awesome :lol::lol:

SV_Fan
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Some players use Netjets.

youizahoe
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Serena and Venus have a private jet though. But they mostly use american airlines :p

Dodoboy.
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
reetard :worship:

youizahoe
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters take KLM and Brussel Airlines almost always

youizahoe
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Amelie Mauresmo, Tatiana Golovin => Air France

Kworb
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
You never really hear stories of people flying in the same plane as a tennis player. Maybe they're rarely recognized. :shrug:

youizahoe
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
They are mostly in business airplanes or the front section and they leave after the normal passengers

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM
bartoli flys in mr kiplings private jet, she has shares in the company apperently :tape:

it was only a joke!

Craig.
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM
reetard :worship:

It wasn't that funny. :weirdo:

ce
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM

it was :weirdo:

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM

:lol::lol::tape::help::lol:

Slutiana
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'll have you know that being a slut is much harder than most people think! :o

Dodoboy.
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM

So is your face :weirdo:

duhcity
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What, no Roger Federer NetJets reference?

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'll have you know that being a slut is much harder than most people think! :o

oh its gotta be 'hard' alright :devil::tape:

Craig.
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
So is your face :weirdo:

How classy. :rolleyes:

vadin124
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
How classy. :rolleyes:

i agree...it wasn't that funny at all :confused:

Fingon
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I guess some of the people here haven't travelled much, at least by plane.

First of all, it depends on the player. Players making a lot of money such as Maria, Ana or Serena probably couldn't care less about the fares and choose convenience. Player in a budget probably look at the prices.

I don't think they give a shit about their national airline unless they are sponsored by it.

Some players are sponsored by a certain airline, therefore they will fly with it whenever they can.

I suspect most of them have a frequent flier card, so they try to fly that airline or airlines within the alliance, that's why probably most of them choose an airline with a lot of destinations, like BA, Air France or Lufthansa.

Certainly, they probably choose based on convenience, at least those who can afford it, less changes, flight times, etc. It all depends where what route they are flying, even if a player likes British Airways for example, it's probably not a choice if they are flying from Dubai to Indian Wells, unless they want a stop in London.

IanRadi
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
South American players (boys and girls) usually travel by American Airlines (bussiness class I guess)

DutchieGirl
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:08 AM
You never really hear stories of people flying in the same plane as a tennis player. Maybe they're rarely recognized. :shrug:
There have been a few. :p I flew on Qantas from Hobart to Melb in 07 with quite a few players (Krajicek, Benesova, Safarova) - and none were in Business class - Serena Williams and her entourage were also on the flight - pretty sure they were in business class. :p

I know Krajicek uses different Airlines - she's flown Singapore Airlines to Aust before, and Delta to the US. Also she uses Czech/KLM around Europe (James and I flew on the same plane - Czech Airlines - as her Dad from Prague to Amsterdam in 06). :)

I know another Aussie poster posted about seeing Vaidisova in business class on a plane after the AO one year. Don't remember which airline it was though - think it was AUSBOY who made the post.

DutchieGirl
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM

First of all, it depends on the player. Players making a lot of money such as Maria, Ana or Serena probably couldn't care less about the fares and choose convenience. Player in a budget probably look at the prices.

I don't think they give a shit about their national airline unless they are sponsored by it.

Some players are sponsored by a certain airline, therefore they will fly with it whenever they can.

I suspect most of them have a frequent flier card, so they try to fly that airline or airlines within the alliance, that's why probably most of them choose an airline with a lot of destinations, like BA, Air France or Lufthansa.

Certainly, they probably choose based on convenience, at least those who can afford it, less changes, flight times, etc. It all depends where what route they are flying, even if a player likes British Airways for example, it's probably not a choice if they are flying from Dubai to Indian Wells, unless they want a stop in London.
:yeah: Good post. I'm surprised at the number of people who seem to think all girls fly business class. I'm sure only the top players fly business class all the time - it's very expensive. I think most players not in top 50 probably aren't flying business class very often at all.

General travel info for everyone (I work in the industry) With flights - every Airline flying point A to point B stops in their own countries hub city on the way. Only the national Airlines of points A & B will fly direct, so players would have to use different airlines for different places unless they were always only using their national airline (which may not always be possible, as not all airlines fly to everywhere in the world). Example: I want to fly from Prague to Amsterdam, the two airlines flying direct are KLM and Czech. If I wanna fly with any other European Airlines, then I will have to go via another city (Lufthansa via Frankfurt, Austrian via Vienna etc). Sometimes these fares via another city can be cheaper than the direct fares as they are less appealing - having to stop in another city en route when you can go direct tends not to be as appealing, so the airlines make the fares cheaper to get people to fly with them. So I think this sort of thing comes into play, especially with the lower ranked players when trying to find best fares and save money.

Il Primo!
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I know Sharapova's :)
Wait, I better shut the hell up, Doni could pull a Bin Laden off :unsure: :sacred:

drake3781
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Serena and Venus have a private jet though. But they mostly use american airlines :p

What do you mean by "have" a private jet? Link to your source?

I wouldn't be surprised if they periodically use a private jet, which they either rent or share-own. A share could consist of as many as 50 other owners - something like buying at timeshare. I don't think they own their own private jet.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:23 AM

I agree with Masharific . It must the british sense of humor I guess

vadin124
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I agree with Masharific . It must the british sense of humor I guess

dont say that, i'm british and didn't find it funny

Slutati
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM
:spit:
No she doesn't :o:o:o

Wiggly
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:54 AM
The cheapest ticket available.

The thing is with all those flights, don't they get pointts for like frequent travelling or something like that?

Alexandre Despatie, a Canadian diver says that he flights so often that he has many points so he travels Buisness and it cost Economic.

I don't know if you understand those "points". Kind of Air Miles but for flights.

drake3781
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM
The cheapest ticket available.

The thing is with all those flights, don't they get pointts for like frequent travelling or something like that?

Alexandre Despatie, a Canadian diver says that he flights so often that he has many points so he travels Buisness and it cost Economic.

I don't know if you understand those "points". Kind of Air Miles but for flights.

If you travel enough (based on miles flown and ticket type purchased) on a specific airline, you get enough points to be at an elite status. (For example, Delta makes you a Medallion member). With that status, you can request a free upgrade. If there are seats open in Business (flying domestically), they will bump you up. But if no seats, you travel coach (unless you buy a Business Class ticket, which is very, very expensive).

Also if you get enough points, you can get some free flights. But they are hard to use because they have so few seats for free flights that they get taken right up and are unavailable on the flight you want to go on.

And with points, you can buy your Business Class upgrade - so you pay for Coach and pay points for your upgrade.

And you can use points to buy membership into the elite lounge, which is a good place to spend time between flights because it has food/drinks, laptop hookup and PCs, nice restrooms, and is very comfortable and less crowded than the airport waiting areas.

So people who fly a lot don't have to buy Business Class tickets - they will get some perks because they fly so much. Usually the only people who pay for Business Class tickets are people whose company pays for them

DutchieGirl
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:17 AM
If you travel enough (based on miles flown and ticket type purchased) on a specific airline, you get enough points to be at an elite status. (For example, Delta makes you a Medallion member). With that status, you can request a free upgrade. If there are seats open in Business (flying domestically), they will bump you up. But if no seats, you travel coach (unless you buy a Business Class ticket, which is very, very expensive).

Also if you get enough points, you can get some free flights. But they are hard to use because they have so few seats for free flights that they get taken right up and are unavailable on the flight you want to go on.

And with points, you can buy your Business Class upgrade - so you pay for Coach and pay points for your upgrade.

And you can use points to buy membership into the elite lounge, which is a good place to spend time between flights because it has food/drinks, laptop hookup and PCs, nice restrooms, and is very comfortable and less crowded than the airport waiting areas.

So people who fly a lot don't have to buy Business Class tickets - they will get some perks because they fly so much. Usually the only people who pay for Business Class tickets are people whose company pays for them
Great explanation - although of course gaining so many points assumes you try to travel with the same airlines most of the time. Although there are 3 main airline alliances now, and you can generally use points from partner airlines on other partner airlines flights. Star Alliance: United, Lufthansa, Swiss, Singapore Airlines, Austrian, Thai etc. Oneworld: Qantas, British Airways, AA, LAN, FinnAir, Malev etc. World Journeys: KLM, Air France, Korean, Emirates, Czech Airlines, NWA etc. So at least if you try to use airlines within the same groups that helps more with points too. :D

Slutiana
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM
oh its gotta be 'hard' alright :devil::tape:
Omg. :spit: :o :o:o:o

Lighter
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Amelie Mauresmo, Tatiana Golovin => Air FranceNeither Amelie nor Tatiana lives in France. So, I don't think so.

davidmario
Nov 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
:o Oh I guess you already had your breakfast in flight this morning. bitch please:rolleyes: