PDA

View Full Version : Final has potential to become a classic????

dany.p
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I know you could say this about a lot of matches, and this could turn out be a straight sets dud, but i really beleive we might see an excellent match. On one side you have 8 time grandslam winner and the ever popular Serena Williams going up against the world number 2 Jankovic.

There a clash in styles, with jankovic, who's considered a "counterpuncher"(i don't really beleive this though) contrasting nicely with the power of Serena.

Both are known for being the best fighters on tour, and are hungry to lift the title here.

And both players are known for there extroverted personalities.

Mark my words, this will be a classic

heavensider
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
The best hitter VS the best defender

heavensider
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
must be a classic match

rockstar
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
battle of the divas!
please bring on the on court drama! :hearts:

hankqq
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
no matter what happens, we know we'll get at least some drama.

Slutiana
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hope so. It definatly has the potential to be a classic. It seems like Jankovic is the new Hingis. Shes been having great matches with the williams sisters and one of the only players to be right there with both of them in h2h. I really hope this will be another classic match. Really do.

terjw
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hope so. It definatly has the potential to be a classic. It seems like Jankovic is the new Hingis. Shes been having great matches with the williams sisters and one of the only players to be right there with both of them in h2h. I really hope this will be another classic match. Really do.

I hope so very much too - except for me if Jelena won I wouldn't actually care how she did it or what the match was like afterwards.

There's no guarantees though. And sometimes the potential to be a classic doesn't turn out the way we hope. It's Jelena's first final and so often players are a bit overwhelmed the first time. Also the weather. I think it looks unlikely they'll play today. And when they do - I also wonder what sort of conditions they'll be playing in. Not that I mind if it's very windy and watch the players forced to show who can cope with the wind the best.

Donatello
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
this could potentially be one of the greatest matches of the past couple of months, if not even greater. Jankovic and Serena both need to bring the "do or die-for the number one spot-mentality" out on court. I sure hope they will.

They both provide for a perfect assymetric tennis matchup (ala Stich - Chang or Graf - Sanchez V. or Sampras - Agassi). To me it is no surprise that the H2H is currently at 3-3. Jelena likes to run and Serena likes to pound. They are both very creative athletes, you could say "intelligent" players.

So they share some similarities and both have a distinctively different approach to the game.
I wonder what happens, let's see.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
No . I only see Serena playing proper tennis

In The Zone
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, a classic Serena murder scene.

Dav.
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Several of Jelena's matches vs the Williams sisters have been really enjoyable. To name a few:

'06 Wimbledon vs. Venus
'06 LA vs. Serena (The drama was just amazing and the match was of a high quality.)
'07 Charleston vs. Venus
'07 US Open vs. Venus
'08 Miami vs. Serena

But, I think, in a slam final nerves will be too much of a factor and the quality will most likely drop significantly because of it. Hopefully they can give us the best USO final in years. :yeah:

tonybotz
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
this one is juicy!! my only fear is if the match is pushed back to sunday or monday when the winds are forecasted to really pick up. Windy tennis=low quality.
If the conditions oblige, the battle of the Drama Queens will be fantastic. ( i hope)

Direwolf
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I just think that Jankovic would be the new Capriati to Serena...
haha...

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
well hitter vs defender usually turns out to be a good match

duhcity
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM
What if they both came onto the court naked, with their respective country flags painted on their bodies.
And then Serena played like Jelena and Jelena played like Serena.

Classic enough, but still won't trump Lindsay and Venus for me, and I LOVE Jelena.

Volcana
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM
This match has the potential to be an assassination.

Wiggly
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Well, there is a first time finalist against a 8 times Grand Slam champion.

Usually, that means two quick sets.

Jelena needs to bgrin her A+ game. Everything less and she's going donw like 2 &3.

friendsita
Sep 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM
hopin' a good match

RFSTB
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:00 AM
You can always count on Serena to fight til the bitter end, whether or not she's having a good day.
But you never know what you're gonna get with Jankovic. Dramaqueen headcase personified.

OsloErik
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Jelena's groundstrokes bring out something fierce in Serena. I think it's the very difficult to read quality on the backhand, which is disguised as well as Serena's, and that stuttering forehand that she hits. Plus, Jelena gets a HUGE 1st % in. Serena's the best returner of 2nd serves on the tour, but she tends to respect 1st serves a little too much. As a result, Jelena can hang in with Serena a lot better than a lot of players. I seriously doubt it will be a massacre, no matter how well Serena plays. Jelena doesn't lend herself to murder very easily. Add to it that Jelena's shots, even when playing well, don't have quite the pop on rallying strokes to end Serena's defense. Serena has opportunities to readjust her game if she's hitting poorly.

I'm VERY excited. I love watching Serena when she's on her game, and she has been thus far, plus Jelena is perpetually entertaining.

Renalicious
Sep 7th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It's not gonna be a massacre. I don't think so anyway.

Jelena very rarely loses easily. Plus Serena's game right now isn't really the type of game that can murder defensive players. Even Serena is a bit of a defensive player lately. If she wants to kill Jelena she'll have to go for more. But I think yeah, it will be a good match.

Steff_forever
Sep 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
depends on the mental stability and enduring fighting spirit of Jelena;
otherwise she needs an overpowering Serena who we havn't seen in the 2nd semi (did it clean and decent then)

Destiny
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, a classic Serena murder scene.

True dat

No mercy no freaking mercy :armed:

Mightymirza
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
serena will streamroll :lol: unless she chokes on big mac :o

OsloErik
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Again, people, I understand that Serena is Serena and can play damn near perfect tennis. But Jelena doesn't lose easily when she's on her game. And she's on her game big-time right now.

Kunal
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM
id like to see one...but i think its gonna be a straight sets affair for rena

Slutiana
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I know Jelena has shown a lot of mental vulnrebility recently but I don't expect her to be scared of this occasion, her personality is very similar to Serena's and you know she'll love the whole vibe and crowd and everything. And I think they might just cheer her on... I know Serena's American and everythign but obviously crowds favour the underdog and plus Venus is the more popular at the USO out of the two. Should be great. Go JJ. :hearts:

Renalicious
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Please stop thinking Serena is gonna steamroll. May I remind you of Wimbledon 2004 when Serena lost easily to then almost-unknown-to-the-non-tennis-world Sharapova? Jelena is not the type of player who loses easily, unfit or fit. Just look at her results. If Serena isn't playing controlled agression she's gonna have a loooong day.

Renalicious
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Go JJ. :hearts:

How can you say that :eek:

I like Jelena but of course I want Serena to win :scared:

SV_Fan
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
A seles(williams)-capriati(jankovic) would be so nice.

hwanmig
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I wanna see the same expression on Serena's fans as RG 3rd round. Sweet:)

champion88
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Am really excited to see this match. I think Ree will win, be it in 2 or 3 though

Thanx4nothin
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I wanna see the same expression on Serena's fans as RG 3rd round. Sweet:)

You can see posters' faces :tape::eek: