PDA

View Full Version : About Jelena Jankovic chances to win US Open final

Cp6uja
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:14 PM
No doubt that 8-time GS and 2-time USO champion Serena Williams is favorite today to win, but i will try to explain why Jelena Jankovic (since Henin retire) is Serena's most dangeruos opponent (together with Venus).

:eek::eek::eek: Belive or not, but Jelena Jankovic is only player ever, together with Arantxa Sanches-Vicario, which played more than 2 matches against Serena Williams but not have negative h2h (3-3 overall and 1-1 at slams)!!!

:eek::eek::eek: If Jelena Jankovic beat today Serena she will become first player ever which beat at every of 4 slams one of Williams sisters (only Jankovic, Henin, Hingis and Capriati beat them at three different slams).

:eek::eek::eek: Together with Steffi Graf (4-3) and Jana Novotna (3-2), Jelena Jankovic (7-6) is only player which played vs sisters more than once but still have better h2h! And because unlike Graf and Novotna she plays more than once at slams (and its still 3-2 positive) her case is actualy unique.

:eek::eek::eek: Serena Williams is great champion and only player in XXI century which won at all 4 slams (with Evert, Navratilova and Graf only player with that achivment in Open Era), but it's not secret that her best tournaments is Australian Open (3 time winner since 2003 and only slam which she won in last 5 years) and Miami mandatory two-weekers (5 time winner since 2002). Serena and Jelena playing this season only twice and both time at Serenas "career-best" tournaments - at AO JJ wins in straight sets and in Miami she won one set.

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
:yawn:

LDF
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
The only stat that I find relevant there is the fact that Jelena holds a 3-3 H2H against Serena - that should give her some confidence as it shows that she can beat Serena, and with one of those victories coming a Grand Slam, she's beaten her on one of the world's biggest tennis stages.

I'm really looking forward to this clash, and whilst I give Jankovic a good chance I still regard Serena as the favourite. :)

дalex
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Miss Amor
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Indeed...Janko is no walk in the park for Serena. So babygirl: come out focused and stay focused. Whatever it takess!!

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
that Miami match was one of the most dramatic matches I've ever seen in my entire life.

Serena should have won 6-1, 6-1.

If Jelena could do the same thing today (or tomorrow or whenever it will be), plus be just a tad bit more aggressive on key points, Serena and Jelena could easily have the best match of 2008. :D

Cp6uja
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
:yawn::yawn:If for you today more important what will happen at 25K Martina Franca tournament than interesting facts and how will today (or tommorow) finished last Grand Slam in 2008 - follow this link http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=353853&page=5

:wavey:

Dunlop1
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
cp6uja - Have you heard this song by the Rolling Stones called 'Satisfaction'?

There's a part in it that goes

"When I'm drivin' in my car
And a man comes on the radio
He's telling me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination"

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
If for you today more important what will happen at 25K Martina Franca tournament than interesting facts and how will today (or tommorow) finished last Grand Slam in 2008 - follow this link http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=353853&page=5

No, I just feel like you and other posters are trying to change this match to Jankovic's advantage. Grasping at straws and shit.
Oh, and to correct you, Venus was/is Serena's toughest opponent EVER.

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Exactly, that's what I meant. Useless information.
I love the Britney Spears cover of this song btw, :lol:

дalex
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
To add to that - JJ loves the big stage and big occasion (so does Serena, I know), after all she is an attention wh...She's also a headcase, but at the USO she seemed very confident which was very surprising to see.

I hope the match will be totally amaze and vulgar and that eventually JJ will win it. :hearts:

vettipooh
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM

:lol: He's really annoying with those stats whenever a serb is involved. :lol:

Vamos.
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'd say more intriguing is actually the way they are playing this fortnight and how they match up.

Serena is playing nowhere near as aggressive as we are "used to". Long time since she has, really. Against Jankovic this ISN'T enough. The quicker she realises this, the better. The best option for Serena is to just go for everything, obviously rein in the power a little; but she must look to move forward and try and hit Jelena off-court.

There is no way on this earth Serena is going to be more consistent than Jankovic or out-defend her. She has to be ultimately aggressive.

It all depends on how Serena executes this match, for me. If she plays as she did in Miami she will win. At least with that aggressive mindset. The only reason JJ got even close to a set if because Serena choked; Jelena was thoroughly outplayed for the entire match.

Serena really needs to attack the serve of Jankovic and try and win some easy points with big returns and big serves of her own. She cannot make this a slogfest or a consistency-fest, she will lose. She has to be aggressive and take the errors as they come. I hope she realises this, or else the match may be lost before it has begun.

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
By the way, Cp6uja, since you love spewing statistics ;), here's one for you.
Jelena has never gained the number 1 ranking on her own having like 5 or 6 tries, :devil:

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM
:lol: He's really annoying with those stats whenever a serb is involved. :lol:

:haha:
I wonder what the reaction would be if I've said that :devil:

P.s. I think we should have a separate thread about all statistics from ALL Serbian players...

kinglear
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't that be something if all the Serbian won their maiden Slams in 2008? :eek:

kinglear
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't that be something if all the Serbians won their maiden Slams in 2008? :eek:

heavensider
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If Jelena could keep her mind clean when she‘s on court

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Somebody has been reminding JJ how good she is ... she is obviously starting to listen.

Jankovic is the best player on the WTA.

If she had a serve, JJ would be unbeatable.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

:rolls:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Ballbasher
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Serena will walk away with the title.

ce
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
omg so many haters :rolls:
srbija nice stats

Michaelz
Sep 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Somebody has been reminding JJ how good she is ... she is obviously starting to listen.

:haha::haha::haha::haha: funny

btw the only chance for jelena to win is that serena plays like total crap

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
There is no way on this earth Serena is going to be more consistent than Jankovic or out-defend her.I completely disagree. JJ made 22 UEs in her semi. Serena 21 in her's. And that's with Serena being a way bigger hitter. Serena's faster laterally, and toward the net. If Serena chooses, she can be more consistent than JJ. But that's not a good choice when you have the weapons Serena has.The best option for Serena is to just go for everythingNo no no a thousand times no. That's the WOST option for Serena. That's the Serena that didn't win a slam in 2000 and 2001.
she must look to move forward and try and hit Jelena off-court. Here I agree, but the key to Serena's win is patience. She has to wait for the short ball, or for JJ to be in a purely defensive position. Serena's defense is more than capable of handling the best of JJ's offense. JJ's defense will lose to the best of Serena's offense, just like eveyone else.

Having said all that, the last time Serena was this prohibitve a favorite in a slam final was Wimbledon 2004.

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Agree with Volcana...Serena needs to find the right balance between being patient and striking at the right moment. intriguing match. Can't wait.

terjw
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Y'know let's just watch the match and see. There really could be a number of things ranging from a disappointing whitewash in two easy sets to a real struggle to Jelena actually taking it. The match might be a classic. It might be an error fest.

What is clear is that Serena is the favourite. And the Cp6uja stats are interesting because they do show that Jelena is the person she has had the most trouble with. Neither proves for sure what will happen in the final. And I do remember before their match at the AO there were loads of posts gloating how it would be a humiliating whitewash and it didn't turn out that way.

darkchild
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

Slutati
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

This thread is so offensive :rolleyes:

karimcartoon
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
This is a grand slam final. First time for Jankovic. Serena's a veteran. Experience counts. Remember the meltdown against henin in 2006?

P.S - this is my last full coverage grand slam. I'm officially quitting the forums and tennis tournaments after this. From now on, i'll probably only watch the finals if any tennis of the grand slams.

VasVas
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
With the level of game Serena showed against Safina is simply insufficient.. She did nothing except playing 4-5 good points, Safina had blowed herself through the match..

Jankovic's serving will determine the faith of the final i guess.. Serena is so powerful in returning the ball but if she can put a good performance from the baseline and make Serena run, she would be victorious..

I hope she'll make it.. :hug:

Slutiana
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I wish I could complain about this thread, but I am banned from the forum. :tape: :o :eek:

Donatello
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM
If Jelena has that Miami match stored in memory, she will win... she was bringing every ball back that final set, Serena couldn't do a thing.

aguy9797
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
go Jelena!!

Slutati
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I wish I could complain about this thread, but I am banned from the forum. :tape: :o :eek:
Just report his post, it's extremely offensive :shrug:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
With the level of game Serena showed against Safina is simply insufficient.. She did nothing except playing 4-5 good points, Safina had blowed herself through the match..

Jankovic's serving will determine the faith of the final i guess.. Serena is so powerful in returning the ball but if she can put a good performance from the baseline and make Serena run, she would be victorious..

I hope she'll make it.. :hug:

i am 100000000% behind serena but i 100% agree with this. dinara beat herself.

Go Serena! i really hope she wins. nothing against jj though, she's a hero for beating dementieva! :worship:

Dodoboy.
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Wow, i think you are being serious?

AM i right?

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
By the way, Cp6uja, since you love spewing statistics ;), here's one for you.
Jelena has never gained the number 1 ranking on her own having like 5 or 6 tries, :devil:
*annoyinghater*

LeRoy.
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM

:spit:

I think even you don't really believe that :haha: :rolls:

The only reason she is so over ranked is because she plays 20+ tournaments while being "injured" while other "real" top players are "really" injured or recently retired.

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
*annoyinghater*

Hmmm....I'm an annoying hater because I mentioned a fact that we all know is true.
Ok, then, :devil:

Tennisstar86
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
but CP6uJA is Jelena wins, she'll be better than your precious ana. surely you dont want this?

Destiny
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Meh great gooing JJ :yeah:

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hmmm....I'm an annoying hater because I mentioned a fact that we all know is true.
Ok, then, :devil:we all know that serena is better than jelena, has much experience bla bla, what are you trying to prove?:rolleyes:

Destiny
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Bleh give it up guys must you do it every time??

Il Primo!
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ok, then, :devil:

You are a hater. I love how you only hate the chicks who threaten the sisters and like those who are their most faithfull bitchs.

Your posts are so annoying. You are definitely not remotely entertaining, you fail so badly each and everytime. At least frontier and RenaSlam are the business when it comes to hating on Jelena. You are just a out of shape tune wannabe who doesnt have neitheir the finesse nor the charisma to heat the thing up.
I know Im supposed to shut the hell up about you and your stupidity but lord I swear, it seems like you want my bitchassness to come back from retirement.

Cp6uja
Sep 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Also, i must say that this extra day pause (final in sunday, instead saturday) is way better news for Jelena, than for Serena. Since may of 2006 when Jelena become elite WTA player, her stats at Grand Slams 3-setters is impressive 14-4, but at all other tournaments JJ 3-setters record is awful 26-27 for some TOP player. Explanation is simple for me - playing week after week, Jelena is not able playing day after day to be at same level in 3rd set, but at slams when she have day pause between rounds (to rest) she obviously playing without problems and downs 3rd set. US Open shedule is specific for womans competition b/c final is playing day after semifinals which is obviously bad for Jelena - but thanks to weather... this season is exception!

At end i dont want to answering anything to people who complaing b/c threads like this. Like many times before i will repeat - only serious complanations against "stats" is if stats is not correct (wrong numbers and datas) or irelevant (useless).

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:13 AM
C6puja:lol: you're funny

Slutati
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:28 AM
oh ok, so now that Ana is sucking you're gonna present us the completely unbiased JJ stats :hearts:

I wish Tati was your fave too :bigcry:

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM
oh ok, so now that Ana is sucking you're gonna present us the completely unbiased JJ stats :hearts:

I wish Tati was your fave too :bigcry::drool:

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Marko I love your sig, tuna and cheo:sad:

Slutati
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I know, so sad :bigcry:
i love yours: ana is love :rolls: Nikkie :awww::hug:

Mikey B
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Serena and Jelena could easily have the best match of 2008. :D

this is what im hoping for!!! a classic 3 setter please ladies!

Nikkiri
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I know, so sad :bigcry:
i love yours: ana is love :rolls: Nikkie :awww::hug:

slamchamp :rolleyes:

brent-o
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I really can't see Jelena winning this. She's hasn't impressed me at all this week, although she's moving a lot better and you can see that she's finally healthy. But this just seems like the perfect instance of another WTA blowout final. I hope to god Jelena takes it though.

barboza
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM
What a boring statistical pattern and your analysis doesn't really mean anything. If Serena doesn't make 1000 errors, there's no way JJ will win the match.

Cp6uja
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I can't belive that about 30% posts in this thread is complanations why NOW (day before big final) to show some interesting stats about Jelena Jankovic h2h against sisters (especialy Serena) and not some interesting facts about for example Golovin, or maybe some other Jelena (Kostanic-Tosic)!?

Also where i'm says that Serena is not favorite in this final??? I just try to suggest that of all active players Jelena Jankovic (together with Serena older sister Venus) is probably most dangeruos opponent. Stats which i show is relevant, not some bizzare "Serena is in trouble when surname of her opponent begining with 'J'" or whatever.

So next time if somebody want to complain about Opening Post here, please read that post accurate:
No doubt that 8-time GS and 2-time USO champion Serena Williams is favorite today to win, but i will try to explain why Jelena Jankovic (since Henin retire) is Serena's most dangeruos opponent (together with Venus).

:eek::eek::eek: Belive or not, but Jelena Jankovic is only player ever, together with Arantxa Sanches-Vicario, which played more than 2 matches against Serena Williams but not have negative h2h (3-3 overall and 1-1 at slams)!!!

:eek::eek::eek: If Jelena Jankovic beat today Serena she will become first player ever which beat at every of 4 slams one of Williams sisters (only Jankovic, Henin, Hingis and Capriati beat them at three different slams).

:eek::eek::eek: Together with Steffi Graf (4-3) and Jana Novotna (3-2), Jelena Jankovic (7-6) is only player which played vs sisters more than once but still have better h2h! And because unlike Graf and Novotna she plays more than once at slams (and its still 3-2 positive) her case is actualy unique.

:eek::eek::eek: Serena Williams is great champion and only player in XXI century which won at all 4 slams (with Evert, Navratilova and Graf only player with that achivment in Open Era), but it's not secret that her best tournaments is Australian Open (3 time winner since 2003 and only slam which she won in last 5 years) and Miami mandatory two-weekers (5 time winner since 2002). Serena and Jelena playing this season only twice and both time at Serenas "career-best" tournaments - at AO JJ wins in straight sets and in Miami she won one set.

Renalicious
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
The last stat is interesting and actually kind of scary that she has beaten/pushed Serena in those favorite tournament. We all know the US Open is where Jelena performs the best and Serena doesn't have a spectactular record here. So anything can happen...

SM
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Its the final of a slam, anything can happen....irrespective of head to heads, stats etc...its about whoever wants it more and can control their nerves

Cp6uja
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
The last stat is interesting and actually kind of scary that she has beaten/pushed Serena in those favorite tournament. We all know the US Open is where Jelena performs the best and Serena doesn't have a spectactular record here. So anything can happen...She is still three times finalist and two time champion which is by far better achivment than JJ have at USO. But still she is much better at AO and Miami, especialy in last 5 seasons (best USO result QF) where Jelena give her big troubles. But on other hand "unexpected" problems which Serena have with JJ at AO and Miami, her career-best tournaments, will be helpful for her to take this final against same opponent 100% seriously.

doni1212
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
You are a hater. I love how you only hate the chicks who threaten the sisters and like those who are their most faithfull bitchs.

Your posts are so annoying. You are definitely not remotely entertaining, you fail so badly each and everytime. At least frontier and RenaSlam are the business when it comes to hating on Jelena. You are just a out of shape tune wannabe who doesnt have neitheir the finesse nor the charisma to heat the thing up.
I know Im supposed to shut the hell up about you and your stupidity but lord I swear, it seems like you want my bitchassness to come back from retirement.

Really trying to win TWAT are you? :rolleyes:

Il Primo!
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Really trying to win TWAT are you? :rolleyes:

No, I'm not. I'm just owning you. But it's not like it's a big deal, don't get overboard.;)

harloo
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
that Miami match was one of the most dramatic matches I've ever seen in my entire life.

Serena should have won 6-1, 6-1.

If Jelena could do the same thing today (or tomorrow or whenever it will be), plus be just a tad bit more aggressive on key points, Serena and Jelena could easily have the best match of 2008. :D

The match at Miami should of never been extended to a third set. Serena basically gifted Jelena the 2nd set. In the AO qtrs Serena wasn't moving well enough and played terrible tennis. Serena needs to keep her nerves and level in check and she'll be fine.:lol:

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
slamchamp :rolleyes::kiss:

Serenita
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM

duhcity
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
The match at Miami should of never been extended to a third set. Serena basically gifted Jelena the 2nd set. In the AO qtrs Serena wasn't moving well enough and played terrible tennis. Serena needs to keep her nerves and level in check and she'll be fine.:lol:

Im sorry. I don't hate Serena but its absolute crap that every time she loses she was "not moving well". Up until Jelena, Serena was playing good fine dominate tennis. Much better than Jelena, who was struggling, but still getting through.

By all accounts, going into that match Serena was a heavy favorite, no matter what her ranking. She went in and played good tennis, but Jelena defended well and played better.

as for the Miami match, ill give you the terrible tennis statement. That final should have been an easy 2 set affair. Jelena came back a little after the second set, but it was mostly Serena almost giving that away

hingisGOAT
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
1) cp6uja has really interesting, relevant, and factual statistics. everyone else in this thread just pollutes the board with their useless opinions, so STFU and leave his posts alone :fiery:

however,

2) i encourage more doni-bashing :hearts:

doni1212
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
No, I'm not. I'm just owning you. But it's not like it's a big deal, don't get overboard.;)

How are you owning me?! :weirdo:
What I said was 100% true. JANKOVIC HAS NEVER REACHED THE NUMBER ONE RANKING ON HER OWN. What is false about that?

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Im sorry. I don't hate Serena but its absolute crap that every time she loses she was "not moving well". Up until Jelena, Serena was playing good fine dominate tennis. Much better than Jelena, who was struggling, but still getting through.

By all accounts, going into that match Serena was a heavy favorite, no matter what her ranking. She went in and played good tennis, but Jelena defended well and played better.

as for the Miami match, ill give you the terrible tennis statement. That final should have been an easy 2 set affair. Jelena came back a little after the second set, but it was mostly Serena almost giving that away

if you think that at the AO serena played well in her QF match you are deluded...she went into the match playing good tennis but played like crap in the actual match...i don't think i've seen serena struggle to hold serve that often....but anyways...

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
2) i encourage more doni-bashing :hearts::inlove:

kellswater
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:59 PM
ahances 45%:bounce:

Cp6uja
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
This time Serena wins in straight sets... but match is close again.
At end, last stats:

Players which won more than 8 games in matches against Serena Williams at slams in 2008:

Venus Williams - twice (Wimbledon, US Open)
Jelena Jankovic - twice (Australian Open, US Open)
Katerina Srebotnik - Roland Garros

And nobody else!