PDA

View Full Version : Laura Robson

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Why she didn't play junior's US Open??:confused::confused:

Jakeev
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
It was talked about I think in a thread after Wimbledon but just don't remember why. I think she is coming to the States though for the big Winter events in December and is going to Australia.(allegedly)

serenus_2k8
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Its coz her team dont want her getting too much publicity, they want her to stay away from all the pressure etc of this event.

Its bull, I know.

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I was wondering...was surprised when I haven't seen her name in the draw...

Thx for the answer;):wavey:

P.s. I'm 100% sure that we'll see her next year at Wimbledon in the main draw - seniors :D

serenus_2k8
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
No problem :wavey:

I think its pathetic, if she cant handle pressure of playing in the juniors of a slam, what will it be like in the main draw of one in a few years time, assuming she gets there :rolleyes:

She should keep working at it though.

jj74
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Its coz her team dont want her getting too much publicity, they want her to stay away from all the pressure etc of this event.

Its bull, I know.

And that's a good idea, british media pressure could be too heavy to handle and Laura is too young. The way to pro is long, but she is very talented and has a really nice and different game, so i hope she'll have success

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM
And that's a good idea, british media pressure could be too heavy to handle and Laura is too young. The way to pro is long, but she is very talented and has a really nice and different game, so i hope she'll have success

Thats so true...I'll never seen such a pressure from media like in England... It's scary when you read all of those articles few weeks before the event starts...thats why I always felt sorry for Henman...Not easy at all to represent the UK...:D
God bless Croatia and media over here... I always though that croatian medias are the worst one but its nothing comparing to british one :D

veryborednow
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Actually:

Q. What is your plan going forward now? Are you going to aim full stretch for the US Open juniors?
LAURA ROBSON: I won't be able to play US Open juniors because I'm only allowed a certain number of tournaments this year.

So if I want to play Australian Open and the lead‑up tournaments for that I won't be able to play.
http://www.laura-robson.net/int1708.htm

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hmm...didn't know that juniors are limited to play certain amount of junior tournaments... I mean she is 14 yo not 10 yo so this is really stupid...If her ranking allowed her she should be able to play at least all junior grand slams plus certain amount of other junior tournaments.
I'm for limitation of senior tournaments for juniors but definitely not for junior tournaments....Stupid rules...

Elwin.
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
but i think it's also good that she is allowed to play a certain amount of tournament. She still is only 14 and playing too much could give her injuries at such a young age.

it's the same with players under 18 on the wtatour

Cp6uja
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Real question is actualy what the f... Arantxa Rus doing at juniors slams after winning AO??? She is obviously not more motivated for that and she is 1990, so why she waste her time? Is she have team around her at all? Stupidest shedule for some junior slam winner (after title) in last decade with all that juniors and 25K useless tournaments.

Elwin.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Real question is actualy what the f... Arantxa Rus doing at juniors slams after winning AO??? She is obviously not more motivated for that and she is 1990, so why she waste her time? Is she have team around her at all? Stupidest shedule for some junior slam winner (after title) in last decade with all that juniors and 25K useless tournaments.

I agree with you !
She played the USOPEN ( what was her last junior tournament ) to make sure she would be ranked #1 at the end of the year. That would provide her some wc's for wta events but she lost in the 1st round so i think she will lose the #1 spot!

but she seemed to have seen the light! she is on the list for Tashkent, Guangzhou and Seoul and will play qualification there :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hmm...didn't know that juniors are limited to play certain amount of junior tournaments... I mean she is 14 yo not 10 yo so this is really stupid...If her ranking allowed her she should be able to play at least all junior grand slams plus certain amount of other junior tournaments.
I'm for limitation of senior tournaments for juniors but definitely not for junior tournaments....Stupid rules...

blame Julia Cohen :rolleyes:
rule was brought in cos of mainly her, she'd play every week basically :o :o

améliemomo
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
dont know if not playing slams in junior will avoid her to feel the pressure when she will be on senior,especially at her homecountry slam.
Its always fun to play slams,on the same place as great names and professionnal players.She could have faced better ranked and older players as her.
The poor girl,she is THE british hope for the future,she WILL face big pressure whatever she does.:shrug:

wally1
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM
dont know if not playing slams in junior will avoid her to feel the pressure when she will be on senior,especially at her homecountry slam.
Its always fun to play slams,on the same place as great names and professionnal players.She could have faced better ranked and older players as her.
The poor girl,she is THE british hope for the future,she WILL face big pressure whatever she does.:shrug:The way she handled the girls final at Wimbledon, playing on a full No 1 court, and with a TV audience in the UK bigger than the women's final (plus the great interview she gave afterwards) makes me think she'll be OK at handling pressure. In any case, the media pressure can be exaggerated - most of the British media cares about tennis for two weeks a year and that's it.

johnoo
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
In any case, the media pressure can be exaggerated - most of the British media cares about tennis for two weeks a year and that's it.

Too true,murray is in the USO semi-final v nadal and nobody really cares,Its football thats getting all the media attention in the papers and tv,murray has gotten very little attention.

Sammm
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
but i think it's also good that she is allowed to play a certain amount of tournament. She still is only 14 and playing too much could give her injuries at such a young age.

it's the same with players under 18 on the wtatour
Durr. But what's to stop them over-practising? That can be equally damaging.
How many junior tournaments is a 14 year-old allowed to play, then?