PDA

View Full Version : Who is better?

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Not sure if we had similar thread, if we did just ignore this one...;)

I watched yesterday match between Jankovic & Dementieva. I've never seen Jankovic playing like last night, GREAT defender...
Commentators were comparing her defenders abilities with the one from Clijsters...
So, what do you think, who is better defender?

Both of them are great, but I would go for Clijsters because she often turned her defender position into the winner while Jankovic more-less gets a point thanks to opponents unforced errors...

What do you think??

Fantasy Hero
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
i agree with you...Clijsters was better becasue had a better service over all...I don't like very much JJ's game, but she's a great athlet and runner...it's impossible to say the opposite!

Bosco123
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Not sure if we had similar thread, if we did just ignore this one...;)

I watched yesterday match between Jankovic & Dementieva. I've never seen Jankovic playing like last night, GREAT defender...
Commentators were comparing her defenders abilities with the one from Clijsters...
So, what do you think, who is better defender?

Both of them are great, but I would go for Clijsters because she often turned her defender position into the winner while Jankovic more-less gets a point thanks to opponents unforced errors...

What do you think??

Jelena seems to have more smooth looking stokes than clijsters but clijsters had a bit more power, so to me Jelena is a better defender while clijsters had the better all-around game.

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Since every 2nd thread turns into fights between fans...this thread is not about who is better player in general... it's about who is better defender :D

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
serena?

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM
serena?

Hmmm... she is good but not good as Jankovic & Clijsters... She can't run good enough and cover the court as those 2 players....

Zealisa
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I think Kim was a much better player. He tennis was more interesting, she was able to turn the rally, which seemed to be won by her opponent. Clijsters was the best in coming from the baseline, where she had to run like hell for every ball, and going for a winner. I don't think Jelena is evn close to her. But she played great against Dementieva, no doubts.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hmmm... she is good but not good as Jankovic & Clijsters... She can't run good enough and cover the court as those 2 players....

Ever see Serena in 2002? But that is besides the point. Clijsters, by far.;)

Szczecin
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Though Jankovic does defend excellently well, Clijsters will go down as on of the greatest defenders of all time.

Jankovic may have a slight edge in speed (if any) but Clijsters had the ability to get the ball back so hard, well placed, and deep no matter how much strife she was in... (e.g 2005 USO vs Venus)

In my opinion, Clijsters could turn defense into offense with one shot... Jankovic turns defense into more defense by keeping the ball in play solidly enough so her opponent can't hit a winner against her...

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Clijsters by far. She was amazing, :sad:
And nice and not a phony/fake. Oops, did I say that? :p

PamShriver
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Jankovic is underrated when it comes to her offensive skills, her backhand is first rate and a real weapon, especially the down the line and constructs points superbly. I think that Clijsters might have been capable of being a bit more aggresive off the bat because she was more inclined to go for the bigger shot a little earlier in the point. Jankovic was trying that yesterday against Lena at the beginning and was just making errors so she settled in and aimed further away from the lines, something that you have to do if you are going to be able to play in the wind. Serena did the same thing in her match as well.