PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats re Prolific Slam Winners

Steffica Greles
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Navratilova won her first slam in 1978; she won her last in 1990.

Evert won her first slam in 1974; she won her last in 1986.

Graf won her first slam in 1987; she won her last in 1999.

Margaret Court won her first slam in 1960; she won her last in 1973.*

Interestingly, although Seles won her first in 1990, the last time she was even in with a shout was in 2002.

(*Whether Court's first few Australian Opens can be really counted is better debated by people who remember those times; the Australian Open was not a tournament which many of the top players entered in that period.)

The pattern? Twelve or thirteen years maximum is about as long as these great players can stretch.

If Serena wins tomorrow, she will be nine years since her first slam. That affords her three or maybe four more years, does it not?

Destiny
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Lets hope so ;)

Dodoboy.
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
What's the longest gap between #1?

I hope you get the question cos i don't want to elaborate :p

Steffica Greles
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
What's the longest gap between #1?

I hope you get the question cos i don't want to elaborate :p
Steffi Graf - nearly ten years. August '87 to April '97.
At least, in the last 30 years..

Marty-Dom
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Steffi Graf - nearly ten years. August '87 to April '97.
At least, in the last 30 years..

Are you saying Steffi wasn't ranked #1 in 93, 94 and so on? Because that would not make it a "gap"

Olórin
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM
If Serena becomes number one again, it will be the longest gap between losing and regaining the top ranking ever: over five years.

I think Justine's two years was one of the longest, before regaining the top spot (2004-2006) and Chris Evert had a longer gap as well, when she regained the number one ranking after Martina had held it for years.

I think we can expect another two-three years with Serena winning/challenging for singles slams. Can't see her winning them when she's far past the 30 milestone. Hope to see Serena go on a doubles spree when she's that age though and get those missing mixed slams. :bounce:

Steffica Greles
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Are you saying Steffi wasn't ranked #1 in 93, 94 and so on? Because that would not make it a "gap"
Er, no I wasn't saying that. Just as I wasn't saying Navratilova, Graf, whoever won all the slams in those twelve years.

It's about the first and last time.

Lunaris
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I assume you reconsidered your retirement from the board?

On topic, it would be extraordinary effort by Serena considering that nowadays players tend to have shorter peak periods and careers in general due to tennis being more and more physically demanding.

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM
you're making a comeback from your retirement?:eek: what happened to your hall of fame and all that?:rolleyes:

fufuqifuqishahah
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
once you start, you dont stop