PDA

View Full Version : Serena has everything to lose in this final. Do you agree?

tennisbear7
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Despite her assertions that she has nothing to lose this final, I really think that this is Serena's match to win. Not only does she have the game to crush Jankovic, she's also the home crowd favourite. For me, and for most on WTAWORLD according to the poll, Serena is the overwhelming favourite, given that she actually has experience in grand slam finals and should really be hoisting up that trophy when all is said and done. Additionally, Serena and her fans know that if she doesn't win this slam, it could be considered somewhat of a poor year by Serena's lofty standards. Even after playing so well all year, with what, a 90% win rate, her year would be somewhat marred by not having won a slam.

So it's going to be very interesting match because we all don't know how Jelena will play. She could play out of her mind, knowing that this is her first slam final against an eight-time grand slam champion. Knowing Jelena's personality, there's a chance that she won't be overawed at all, and exploit Serena if Serena isn't on her game. On the other hand, Jelena could come out extremely nervous and be bullied on court by Serena.

What do you think? Who has more to lose from this match? Serena or Jelena?

For the record, I think that Serena will win.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Actually, I look at it this way

Serena has nothing to prove, she has already done that

Jelena on the other side has to prove that she is capable of winning a gs and that will also validate her No.1 ranking.

Pressure on jelena

Adal
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I think Jelena will definitely have much more pressure.

InsideOut.
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Put it this way. Jankovic negotiated four Grand Slam semis, choking away multiple leads in 2 of them, before finally getting to her first Grand Slam final with much help from LenaD, who is clearly the most mentally fragile player Jankovic has faced in a Grand Slam SF. The occassion will overwhelm her. The only positive for her is that her game plan has quite a lot of margin for error so she won't be going home with a bagel and breadstick in hand.

A Magicman
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Jelena on the other side has to prove that she is capable of winning a gs and that will also validate her No.1 ranking.

Pressure on jelena

She won't be No1 if she loses.

Pressure is on her, though. First GS final, crowd will be rooting heavily for Serena. She needs to turn her brain off here.

I expect a dirty match as both ladies don't like each other too much. Drama, baby, drama.

This could become an epic one.

silverwhite
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I agree. She hasn't won many slams since 2003. No slam outside the AO since Wimby 03. #1 is at stake. There is definitely a lot of pressure on Serena.

A'DAM
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
No

Destiny
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I agree she does have alot of pressure on her and am thinking she's gong to put alot of pressure on her self neitherless of what she says
I just hope this match is not as dirty and as dramtic as Miami finals :o
I want an Aussie open 07 beat down ala Pova :hearts:

bandabou
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Depends on how you look at it..if Serena lost, it'd disappointing 'cause she came short at the majors and lost two finals in a row! But she already has 8 and has been there done that. But Jankovic doesn't have the history of playing finals at majors.

Will she get another shot?! Soo..in a sense more pressure on Janko imo.

serenus_2k8
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Ree doesnt want to make this year 0/2 for GS Finals, so pressure, yes, but JJ has done little in her career and NEEDS this win to prove she deserves her ranking more than Ree does.

Thanx4nothin
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I think Jelena will definitely have much more pressure.

:worship: Agreed. Serena has been there and done that, if she loses she still has all her trophies JJ doesn't.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:07 PM
any pressure serena feels she would have put on herself...jj has pressure from herself, media and fans to deal with simply because she had all the criticism of being #1 without even a slam final let alone a slam....she has to prove she is a worthy #1...serena on the other hand doesn't have to win to show that she is worthy...while a loss might be disappointing, to people she will definitely have some more of that aura back given how she went through the majority of the draw without the loss of a set beating venus and safina

doni1212
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
JJ has wayyyyyy more pressure. She has to prove that she didn't just get here because of her easy draw and choking opponents.....

court70
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Pressure is on her, though. First GS final, crowd will be rooting heavily for Serena. She needs to turn her brain off here.

I expect a dirty match as both ladies don't like each other too much. Drama, baby, drama.

I would not bet on that one.

court70
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I agree she does have alot of pressure on her and am thinking she's gong to put alot of pressure on her self neitherless of what she says
I just hope this match is not as dirty and as dramtic as Miami finals :o
I want an Aussie open 07 beat down ala Pova :hearts:

No my dear the pressure if on JJ, Serena has 8 slams and jj has none this is her first slam final....Serena been there done that jj has not.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Disagree.

Serena's legacy is secure. And win or lose the final she has still had a very strong year. Sure it would be a dissappointment for her were she to lose but Serena doesn't really need another slam. It is added icing. For Jankovic who has never won a Slam there is huge pressure on her. Jankovic needs this to cement her reputation as one of the best tennis players in the world and not just an also ran.

darrinbaker00
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
:worship: Agreed. Serena has been there and done that, if she loses she still has all her trophies JJ doesn't.
What Serena has done is the past means NOTHING today. You're only as good as your last match. Both players have just as much to gain and lose in tonight's match ($1.5 million vs. $750,000; #1 ranking vs. #2 ranking).

terjw
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM

I'm not sure where you get they don't like each other from. I know there was the ball lobbing incident on court - but I didn't get they didn't like each other. I also know that fairly recently Jelena was asked about players she got on well with off court - and she singled out Serena as someone she really liked and got on with as a person and had a similar sense of humour to her.

Kunal
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
not everything to lose....but a lot to lose yes

i think shes gonna take it

and with that the number one ranking as well

Thanx4nothin
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
What Serena has done is the past means NOTHING today. You're only as good as your last match. Both players have just as much to gain and lose in tonight's match ($1.5 million vs. $750,000; #1 ranking vs. #2 ranking).

I disagree, what they have done in the past means a lot in fact. JJ herself has said she feels the pressure of never having won a GS. If Serena loses people will talk about it for a while but in the end she will still be described as one of the great champions of the game. If JJ loses then she is the nearly girl again. Suddenly she takes up Momo and Clijsters' mantle as ;best player never to win a GS. Both girls know this, these are the intangibles. That is the reality. However the stakes are huge for both as you stated, no doubt both have a lot of pressure. :eek:

tonybotz
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
serena must be feeling some pressure here. she has "put the work in" and she wants to reap the rewards. She must be thinking, how the hell did i win australia with no preparation, but haven't won since?

I don't think she has everything to lose, but this season will definitely be considered a loss if she doesn't win the open.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I agree

If Rene loses one set it is a failure

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
lol at all rena fans saying jj has soooo much pressure. Serena is the heavy favourite, what pressure has jelena?:shrug:

In The Zone
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Jelena's nerves >>> Serena's pressure.

Serena has been put in worse positions than this. She'll be fine.

slamchamp
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Jelena's nerves >>> Serena's pressure.

Serena has been put in worse positions than this. She'll be fine.agreed..I think JJ will be nervous especially in the beginning of the match like against dementieva, but I'm sure when she wins a game or something she'll lighten up

Tennisstar86
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM
lol at all rena fans saying jj has soooo much pressure. Serena is the heavy favourite, what pressure has jelena?:shrug:

The pressure of the fact that she is the only #1 ranked player to be without a slam title... yes Kim and amelie did it but they eventually got the slam..Not sayin this is her only chance, but look at Clijster and Mauresmo it took them awhile after they got the #1 ranking with the games to win majors before they actually won. Jelena's definately got more pressure on her than Serena...

I could see if Serena hadnt made a final in a LONG time. but she just made the finals of Wimbledon... won a slam in 07....

What is your obsession with Money... Serena would make up that difference this year with or without the win....

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
What has Serena to lose that she hasn't lost before. :shrug:

She's certainly had more pressure and expectation on her and been a greater favorite and lost. She's already secured a place in the tennis hall of fame.

JJ, on the other hand, with each missed slam opportunity, loses a shot at ever being considered "a great one." She loses opportunities to capitalize on American commercial deals and media exposure. Serena's already a global icon. Losing or for that matter winning here won't change any of that.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
If I were Jelena, I'd play with the attitude that Serena is THE champion (which she is -- I believe her to be the best player in the WTA), and that JJ is going to be the spoiler. She knows that Serena is the favorite with the advantage of a hometown crowd, so all JJ can do is spill her guts out there and hope that things go her way. No pressure, no expectation, just play it out. Rankings and all that don't matter, because few expect JJ to outlast a motivated Serena in front of her hometown US Open crowd.

As for Serena, since the French, she's shown some weakness in my opinion. Still, this is the US Open in front of a very supportive hometown crowd, and Serena has already beat who she considers the "other" best player in the WTA -- Venus. So, I don't think she'll be feeling any pressure. She'll be feeling that she's the top dog, and see if Jelena, a less powerful player -- but always a threat -- can take it from her.

If they both psych up to their advantage, neither will go into the match feeling the pressure. They'll wait to see what the other player brings to the court, and force the pressure during the match.

mykarma
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I disagree, what they have done in the past means a lot in fact. JJ herself has said she feels the pressure of never having won a GS. If Serena loses people will talk about it for a while but in the end she will still be described as one of the great champions of the game. If JJ loses then she is the nearly girl again. Suddenly she takes up Momo and Clijsters' mantle as ;best player never to win a GS. Both girls know this, these are the intangibles. That is the reality. However the stakes are huge for both as you stated, no doubt both have a lot of pressure. :eek:
Don't you know Darrin by now?

mykarma
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:23 AM
That she's never won a slam

darrinbaker00
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:38 AM
What is your obsession with Money... Serena would make up that difference this year with or without the win....
These are professional tennis players, my friend. Money is their primary reason for playing. Please don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

Keadz
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:39 AM
LMAO. This thread reminds me of this clip from a great T.V show. Starts at around 10 seconds.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9Nvv56i9o&feature=related

Mikey B
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
her saying she has nothing to lose is her way of putting the pressure on jj, because it is all on her! she is expected to win, no doubt, so she's trying to make jj feel like the favorite, that way if she loses she has a back up of 'i wasnt expected to win, she was the higher ranked player, blah blah'....

Tennisstar86
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM
These are professional tennis players, my friend. Money is their primary reason for playing. Please don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

In this point in Serena's Career, she doesnt need to win a major to make that much....:rolleyes:

So from your own logic Jelena has WAY more to lose.

TSequoia01
Sep 7th, 2008, 03:59 AM
If I answer the thread question it would be no. JJ has a lot to lose as well. If the question was who should feel the most pressure, my answer would be JJ. Winning your first slam is a big big deal. There is another question however and that is, who in fact will feel the most pressure? I would answer Serena. Why? Because she honestly believes she is the best and wants to prove it. Venus has won one this year. Beginning to understand that she may not have that many chances left. But the biggest reason is Serena just hates to lose. Go Rena bring home #9 and let the Rena versus Monica debates begin. ;)

darrinbaker00
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:07 AM
In this point in Serena's Career, she doesnt need to win a major to make that much....:rolleyes:

So from your own logic Jelena has WAY more to lose.
No, they both have the same amount to lose, $750,000.

friendsita
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Serena will crush JJ in 2 sets.

Serval
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Serena has nothing to lose. Regardless of the result, she will reach many more finals for years to come.

Jelly has everything to lose. The WTA is at its weakest, and when the big guns return she will find it very difficult to reach another final. This is her best chance to win a grand slam.

doni1212
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Serena has nothing to lose. Regardless of the result, she will reach many more finals for years to come.

Jelly has everything to lose. The WTA is at its weakest, and when the big guns return she will find it very difficult to reach another final. This is her best chance to win a grand slam.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is, :yeah:
And had she been in the other half, she wouldn't even be in the finals, :rolleyes:

Olórin
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM

I think it's pretty sad that you see the world in $$$ signs. It's very limiting.

Money is not the reason Serena is playing, neither Jelena, both have more money than enough to retire to a life of luxury.

Olórin
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
No, they both have the same amount to lose, $750,000.

How can you lose money you haven't earned yet?

No Name Face
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Actually, I look at it this way

Serena has nothing to prove, she has already done that

Pressure on jelena

Yup. But I have all faith in Serena. Can't wait for her to win again.

calabar
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
They BOTH have someting to lose....the EXPECTATION of winning. Every professional athlete should go into competition with the expectation of winning regardless of the odds. It's all about professional pride. I find it most unprofessional and annoying to hear athletes (WHO ARE GETTING PAID TO WIN) invoke that stupid "I have nothing to lose" crap.

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:08 AM
phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:p

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I think it's pretty sad that you see the world in $$$ signs. It's very limiting.
Thank you. ;)
Money is not the reason Serena is playing, neither Jelena, both have more money than enough to retire to a life of luxury.
I said that money was the PRIMARY reason they were playing, not the only reason. What part of "professional" do you not understand?

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2008, 04:26 AM
How can you lose money you haven't earned yet?
They both earned $750,000 by reaching the final. The winner, Serena in this case, earned the extra $750,000.