PDA

View Full Version : What is required for the WTA to survive this deep crisis ?

gopher
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Any ideas ?

Bremen
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Give me a break.

espntennis
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Well if they're in a crisis this USO final is a great way to get out of it.

Jankovic is a fresh, personable persona and I think is a great character/game. Serena is American, obviously very talented and playing in her first USO final in 6 years.

This is a great storyline and a really great final.

I'm really looking forward to this final and hope it is really entertaining.

Sharapowerr
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Maria s come back as soon as possible.

~Eclipsed~
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
:rolleyes:

In The Zone
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Serena Slam, Version Deux beginning with the USO 08. :drool: :hearts:

Dawn Marie
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Don't wait until Serena and Jelena reach the final to talk of crisis?? The problem has been going on for years. Alot of players are burned out! They get lonely on tour and tired mentally. Thank Gawd Venus has Serena and vice verse. It does help to have sisters playing on the tour together.

The bottom line is tennis aint all glamourous out there. The girls are making history and then leaving their jobs after making millions.

Bruno71
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hire more blondes to play?

Caipirinha Guy
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Nothing will change the fact that both of them will be the world #1 and #2 since Monday.

mb011
Sep 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
crisis? why is wta in a crisis? just because some people don't like the current top players? just because the players are close in quality, and the surprises are possible? just because there are no new American players on the horizon? because the eastern-europe girls are dominating the game at the moment? i dont think that is a crisis.sure some changes are needed, in respect to the players, to have more time to heal and rest up, but the game is more fun this way.

theis board is going nuts with all these crisis talk!

Dodoboy.
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Serena Slam, Version Deux beginning with the USO 08. :drool: :hearts:

OMG! :worship:

At least for her to win USO and then win AO and then get to the final at RG....:rolls:

Dream BIG people :drool:

Pheobo
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
2 of the best players on tour are playing the US Open final tomorrow. I think it's a very interesting and classic dynamic. The established former champion against The world #2 trying to make her grand slam breakthrough. Where's the crisis?

If you're referring to ratings, putting an end to these God-awful, embarrassing commercials would be a start.

kjn
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
We need healthy players. Thank God we have a decent or potentially great final coming, not the sort of crap matches we've had in the quarters. So, for this final we could actually say that this "crisis" doesn't exist.

Destiny
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Don't force players to play too much and if they don't fine them how idootic is that

They are burning out for a reason and it's coz they FREAKING PLAY TOOOO MUCH :rolleyes:

-Sonic-
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Free detergent samples with every ticket!!!

-Sonic-
Sep 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Naked Wednesdays?

terjw
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Don't force players to play too much and if they don't fine them how idootic is that

They are burning out for a reason and it's coz they FREAKING PLAY TOOOO MUCH :rolleyes:

I'd agree with half of that. Allow the players to set their own schedule without any rules. But then - if they did pull out just because they felt tired or for some injury which was not bona fide and they had not given prior warning about - there's no excuse. And I would fine then. And fine them heavily.

The roadmap idea of building up rivalries and great tournaments can be achieved by making the tournament great in terms of money, ranking points, and prestige. Not by force.

Injuries - not the standard of the game - are the real problem in womn's tennis. And other than the above - I don't know how to solve that - except perhaps putting rules on rackets and going back to wooden rackets. No chance of that.