PDA

View Full Version : Where are the real tennis fans on this board?

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Where are the real tennis fans ?

Real tennis fans dont insult other players its immature
Real tennis fans dont like just one style of play ball bashing
Real tennis fans dont complain about how the sport is so bad
Real tennis fans dont just like to watch a certain player but any kind of good tennis

And I can go on with some of the things I see on WTAworld nowadays its just sad that NO one knows anything about tennis anymore

Optima
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:39 AM
:worship:

These girls are tearing their bodies apart for our entertainment, trying to win something they want so badly, yet there's still tons of haters out there who complain about everything.

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:40 AM

These girls are tearing their bodies apart for our entertainment, trying to win something they want so badly, yet there's still tons of haters out there who complain about everything. Exactly Jankovic works so hard for every single point and all they complain about is how she is a pusher!

:rolleyes:

drake3781
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Can't stand: people who are fans of a player because she is (insert race).
Can't stand: people who are fans of a player because she is hot.

Remove those two groups and life is much nicer.

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Can't stand: people who are fans of a player because she is (insert race).

Remove those two groups and life is much nicer. LOL. yeah thats why Ana has many fans and haters

What I cant stand people who bash players obviously you dont like every player as much as your fave but dont go bashing them its retarded.

Sam L
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM
LOL. yeah thats why Ana has many fans and haters

What I cant stand people who bash players obviously you dont like every player as much as your fave but dont go bashing them its retarded.
I only bash players that are over-hyped. But when I do that, I'm not bashing the players so much but the fans here who are over-hyping them and talking them up so to speak.

As for liking players because of race etc... it's like nationality. There's nothing wrong with this. As long as they don't hate other players because they're not part of their race.

BK4ever
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Real fans who actually understand the game are drowned out by the children who have overtaken this board :sad:

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I only bash players that are over-hyped. But when I do that, I'm not bashing the players so much but the fans here who are over-hyping them and talking them up so to speak.

As for liking players because of race etc... it's like nationality. There's nothing wrong with this. As long as they don't hate other players because they're not part of their race. Haters I can name are jujufreak,Demneted,Serenidad who bash the players and annoy the fans of the players

Yeah theres nothing wrong with a race or nationality

sammy01
well i agree with most bar 'Real tennis fans dont complain about how the sport is so bad', im sorry but it takes a true fan to admit somethings wrong, or the game is struggling right now. its like a friend who asks you 'how do i look' in something they look aweful in, a so called friends says 'yeah nice' and lets them go out looking like a retard, a true frind is honest and tells them they have loads of better outfits and they go out together looking great and both pull.

when i complain about womens tennis its only because i hold it in high esteem and have a certain standard i've come to expect from it. when its not living up to my standard i am honest and want to voice my opinion of why its struggling (right now, inconsistent top players and an over dependency on power over technique, resulting in bad matches). i dont drop my standards or lie to save face.

Aaron.
Real fans who actually understand the game are drowned out by the children who have overtaken this board :sad: I agree. :sad:

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:50 AM
well i agree with most bar 'Real tennis fans dont complain about how the sport is so bad', im sorry but it takes a true fan to admit somethings wrong, or the game is struggling right now. its like a friend who asks you 'how do i look' in something they look aweful in, a so called friends says 'yeah nice' and lets them go out looking like a retard, a true frind is honest and tells them they have loads of better outfits and they go out together looking great and both pull.

when i complain about womens tennis its only because i hold it in high esteem and have a certain standard i've come to expect from it. when its not living up to my standard i am honest and want to voice my opinion of why its struggling (right now, inconsistent top players and an over dependency on power over technique, resulting in bad matches). i dont drop my standards or lie to save face. Womens tennis is in a slump right now but complaining about it wont help we have to enjoy what we have right now.

Josh.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Their around, you just have to wade through the crap to see them. ;)

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Their around, you just have to wade through the crap to see them. ;) :D

SOA_MC
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:54 AM
LOL. yeah thats why Ana has many fans and haters

Of course there is no other reason why one could possibly like Ana:rolleyes:

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Of course there is no other reason why one could possibly like Ana:rolleyes: Well where did I say that? ;)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:57 AM

Bash your idol Gasquet then . Overhyped and useless at the same time , two things that you hate

AcesHigh
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I agree with sammy a bit here. No problem in complaining about something you love as long as it's not overboard, although he could tone the complaining down.

And although I agree with what you are saying.. who are you or anyone else to say what a "real" tennis fan is?

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Womens tennis is in a slump right now but complaining about it wont help we have to enjoy what we have right now.

i disagree, both semi's today were horrible to watch, im not going to lie and say they were good. you wouldn't say i shouldn't heap praise on the wta if there was great match after great match going on, it has to work both ways. if something can be praised/supported it can also be critisized. im still supporting the wta by watching it but im not going to censor my view for fear of people not wanting to hear/admit to it.

iPatty
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Of course there is no other reason why one could possibly like Ana:rolleyes:

Finally you see! :yeah:

Jokes aside, I agree with sammy01 here. I think it takes a real tennis fan to criticize the sport and the, for lack of a better word, incompetent top players that we have been given. I guess maybe we have been spoiled the past couple of years and not realized it but I will just keep holding out until the quality gets better.

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I agree with sammy a bit here. No problem in complaining about something you love as long as it's not overboard, although he could tone the complaining down.

And although I agree with what you are saying.. who are you or anyone else to say what a "real" tennis fan is?

i am basing it on my view of a 'real' tennis fan, yours my be different, which is cool as neither of our opinion is fact. in my eyes a 'real' tennis fans cares about both their favourite player, but also the reputation of tennis and how its being precieved/the direction its going in. i dont want tennis to take steps back and undo all the hard work of many people over the last 40 years by letting power hitting destroy what makes it the sport for women.

AcesHigh
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM
i am basing it on my view of a 'real' tennis fan, yours my be different, which is cool as neither of our opinion is fact. in my eyes a 'real' tennis fans cares about both their favourite player, but also the reputation of tennis and how its being precieved/the direction its going in. i dont want tennis to take steps back and undo all the hard work of many people over the last 40 years by letting power hitting destroy what makes it the sport for women.

Sorry, i was addressing the OP :)

LeonHart
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Jankovic played good solid tennis :)

Serena did good too.

I hope Jelena can win her first slam!

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:08 AM
btw when i say critisize i dont mean, posting wta is wank or saying watching the wta is like having a swarm of bees nesting in your throat. i mean proper critique (sp?) like the reasons its struggling and where its gone wrong. once these have been identified it makes where and how to improve it a lot easier, because i believe most people believe the wta could be better right now.

gorecki
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM

They got tired of scrolling through the threads to find a few topics worth reading/discussing.

DutchieGirl
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:33 AM
:wavey:

DutchieGirl
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
They got tired of scrolling through the threads to find a few topics worth reading/discussing.
One reason I don't post in GM so often - it's usually just full of crap and I can maybe find 2 threads on the first page that I think are worthwhile to rad. I spend more time in challengers formu - it's fun in there mostly. :)

pov
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I think a case can be made for some attributes of an actual tennis fan.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Real tennis fans dont just like to watch a certain player but any kind of good tennis

And I can go on with some of the things I see on WTAworld nowadays its just sad that NO one knows anything about tennis anymore

I'm a "real tennis fan" but I live by my own criteria. I've been a fan since I saw 16 year old Chrissie Evert's incredible run at the US Open/Forest Hills in 1971. After that, I've been to many live matches over the past 37 years, and the US Open once. Never made it to Wimbledon to see Chrissie play, but maybe one day I'll still make it just to enjoy the greatest tournament in history before I die.

I do enjoy watching a good match, but I have my favorite players that I zero in on mostly because I think since it's an individual sport, that personality counts in who I am attracted to follow. There are some players who I just do not like, nor do I enjoy their games, even though I may respect them as competitors -- two that come to mind are Shriekypova and Safina (who I saw live at Carson in 06 -- I did not appreciate her game, but she did make me laugh yelling in Russian at herself!).

I do feel that the WTA had a slow period during parts of this season, was not as interesting as the ATP at times, and that women's tennis was dragging due to too many injuries and general lack of ummph (nothing matched Nadal's run to overtake number 1 from Federer). Having that belief does not reduce my status as a fan, but rather is part of the up and down nature of the sport that I've noticed since the beginning. I thought parts of the early and mid 90's were also lacking in excitement, but I'm still a fan. There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion on the health of the sport, and it doesn't make one less of a fan for doing so.

I think my most heartfelt criticism of this board are the personal insults towards fellow members and players. The unnecessary and sometimes vile comments and cursing and flaming. Some of the bad behavior is from those that I consider "real fans." There are a lot of youngsters posting here, and that is what has become acceptable to this generation in terms of net-etiquette, so I try to ignore their form of expression, and move on to reading posts that contribute to my enjoyment of the game.

Most of the more mature posters (some of whom are young in age, but mature in attitude and knowledge) are the one's that I follow. They give interesting insights into the player's strategy and court play. I just ignore the negative "noise" -- even if it's from someone that I consider a "real fan," albeit a rude one.

Hayato
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:22 AM
One reason I don't post in GM so often - it's usually just full of crap and I can maybe find 2 threads on the first page that I think are worthwhile to rad. I spend more time in challengers formu - it's fun in there mostly. :)

:wavey:

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
There are some still here :woohoo:

Miss Amor
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Real tennis fans bash other fan base, thats true .
If fans dont bash each other, there will be no drama, every sport needs drama, otherwise it will be boring and dull like high school music, all goody goody. Just be thankfully tennis fans dont get into physical fights like the football hooligans

Fidello
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Real fans who actually understand the game are drowned out by the children who have overtaken this board :sad:

I agree, although there aren't many of us who are trying to bust their balls. They also have support from some of the moderators (I can name them, you know)
edit:wrong quote

Vamos.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Ok, but if somebody feels play A is actually detrimental to tennis and voices this opinion does that make them not a fan? Au contraire...

Miss Amor
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I agree, although there aren't many of us who are trying to bust their balls. They also have support from some of the moderators (I can name them, you know)

overboiled chicken?

Matt01
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Real tennis fans don't start threads like "Venus will win FO 2008". :spit:

Other than that, I agree with you, though :)

RenaSlam.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Preach.

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Real tennis fans don't start threads like "Venus will win FO 2008". :spit:

Other than that, I agree with you, though :) :o :p And where did Venus get into this?

oh wait this is Matt01.

Matt01
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
oh wait this is Matt01.

Yup, it's me :D

Steff_forever
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think my most heartfelt criticism of this board are the personal insults towards fellow members and players. The unnecessary and sometimes vile comments and cursing and flaming. Some of the bad behavior is from those that I consider "real fans." There are a lot of youngsters posting here, and that is what has become acceptable to this generation in terms of net-etiquette, so I try to ignore their form of expression, and move on to reading posts that contribute to my enjoyment of the game.

:hatoff:
some just don't care about the sport itself - they just care about their proud

nouf
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM

its why tennis players don't like to come here! lol

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
its why tennis players don't like to come here! lol :tape:

nouf
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
:tape:

just report when i ask to players if they know this forum!

Miss Amor
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Lets not make this forum boring and dull by being all nice and cute with everyone :(

supergrunt
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Now that I think about, why should there be no bashing of other players? Do you think the players care? I doubt they actaully come in here and read this.

supergrunt
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
And if they do, wel... I fear for their psyche.

Karolina_Sprem
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Are you trying to give us instructions how to become a real tennis fan like...:rolleyes:
Oh, c'mon...
I REALLY hate when somebody writes down something against some player and with the good reason and explanation and he suddenly becomes HATER:rolleyes:
I'm not saying that this forum is not having some stupid comments, it does have, but every negative comment about some player is not welcome by people who support that certain player...

I think there are some really good critics on this forum and excused.

Jem
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm a "real tennis fan" but I live by my own criteria. I've been a fan since I saw 16 year old Chrissie Evert's incredible run at the US Open/Forest Hills in 1971. After that, I've been to many live matches over the past 37 years, and the US Open once. Never made it to Wimbledon to see Chrissie play, but maybe one day I'll still make it just to enjoy the greatest tournament in history before I die.

I do enjoy watching a good match, but I have my favorite players that I zero in on mostly because I think since it's an individual sport, that personality counts in who I am attracted to follow. There are some players who I just do not like, nor do I enjoy their games, even though I may respect them as competitors -- two that come to mind are Shriekypova and Safina (who I saw live at Carson in 06 -- I did not appreciate her game, but she did make me laugh yelling in Russian at herself!).

I do feel that the WTA had a slow period during parts of this season, was not as interesting as the ATP at times, and that women's tennis was dragging due to too many injuries and general lack of ummph (nothing matched Nadal's run to overtake number 1 from Federer). Having that belief does not reduce my status as a fan, but rather is part of the up and down nature of the sport that I've noticed since the beginning. I thought parts of the early and mid 90's were also lacking in excitement, but I'm still a fan. There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion on the health of the sport, and it doesn't make one less of a fan for doing so.

Most of the more mature posters (some of whom are young in age, but mature in attitude and knowledge) are the one's that I follow. They give interesting insights into the player's strategy and court play. I just ignore the negative "noise" -- even if it's from someone that I consider a "real fan," albeit a rude one.
Excellent post as usual!

Maryamator
Sep 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
:worship: @ this thread

esquímaux
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Exactly Jankovic works so hard for every single point and all they complain about is how she is a pusher!

:rolleyes:Exactly... !

Yasmine
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I wish I knew :awww:
Well there are some fans of tennis, who don't know every detail of the game, nor want to understand every single detail of it but just like watching, cheering and all that.

JackFrost
Sep 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
i disagree, both semi's today were horrible to watch, im not going to lie and say they were good. you wouldn't say i shouldn't heap praise on the wta if there was great match after great match going on, it has to work both ways. if something can be praised/supported it can also be critisized. im still supporting the wta by watching it but im not going to censor my view for fear of people not wanting to hear/admit to it.
Yeah, but the difference is...some posters here are very hypocritical with her critics.
They remember only how awful, laughable and bad the whole wta tour today is, when their own favorit has lost again (worst of all, against a player, who they don´t like).

dorkgirl
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Most 'real fans' of tennis don't post on here. Or at least they post on other boards for proper tennis talk and just come here to laugh at the idiots. :)

Svetlana.
Sep 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Most 'real fans' of tennis don't post on here. Or at least they post on other boards for proper tennis talk and just come here to laugh at the idiots. :)

I think mods have to do something with that... instead of doing their job they are supporting trolling here.

sammy01
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:05 AM

1. that is the most condescending post i've ever read.

2. dosen't say much for your intelegence if you come here 'to laugh at the idiots'

3. if the boards so bad why don't you post your thoughts and opinions more often to raise its profile?

i'll tell you why because your full of b**ls**t, the boards better off without someone who talks down to others:wavey:

Fingon
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM

insulting players in immature, but how does it relate to being a "real tennis fan" or not?

why not?

by the contrary, if you are a real tennis fan you should enjoy high-quality tennis. For you being a "real" tennis fan means being like a robot and accept whatever is thrown at you???

I agree, I normally get to like a player because I like her/his style, however, nowadays it's quite difficult to find high quality matches, that's why REAL tennis fans don't like the current state of the wta.

that has always been the case.

DutchieGirl
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
insulting players in immature, but how does it relate to being a "real tennis fan" or not?

why not?

by the contrary, if you are a real tennis fan you should enjoy high-quality tennis. For you being a "real" tennis fan means being like a robot and accept whatever is thrown at you???

I agree, I normally get to like a player because I like her/his style, however, nowadays it's quite difficult to find high quality matches, that's why REAL tennis fans don't like the current state of the wta.

that has always been the case.
Not ALL real tennis fans have to hate the state of the WTA at the moment. :p

Kart
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Stick around these forums a few years and you see this same 'holier than thou' thread topic come up in some guise or another over and over again.

If you can't see the 'real tennis fans' then you're not looking hard enough or you're not looking in the right places.

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Aaron the one creating this thread:tape:

Greenout
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM
One of the big problems on this board are the Glory Hunter type younger tennis fans. All they do is jump on the person winning this week, put their name in the signature and troll on the losing opponents. The other problem is the almost neurotic fan of a player that goes overboard everytime their favorite has a bad match or tournament. They whine and whine about how their player is in decline - and generally unplesant. Real tennis fans don't follow 16 different players, and select one this week They like a handfull of players that they follow, and truly enjoy - win or lose. Real tennis fans enjoy the work and career, and the bits of off court things too. But they don't drop them for a few poor tournaments, and forget them or kiss them goodbye forever or until they win again.

DutchieGirl
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:18 AM
One of the big problems on this board are the Glory Hunter type younger tennis fans. All they do is jump on the person winning this week, put their name in the signature and troll on the losing opponents. The other problem is the almost neurotic fan of a player that goes overboard everytime their favorite has a bad match or tournament. They whine and whine about how their player is in decline - and generally unplesant. Real tennis fans don't follow 16 different players, and select one this week They like a handfull of players that they follow, and truly enjoy - win or lose. Real tennis fans enjoy the work and career, and the bits of off court things too. But they don't drop them for a few poor tournaments, and forget them or kiss them goodbye forever or until they win again.
So are you saying if you like more than a "handfull" of players, you are not a real tennis fan, even if you are not dropping these players every other week? :help:

Greenout
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM
So are you saying if you like more than a "handfull" of players, you are not a real tennis fan, even if you are not dropping these players every other week? :help:

ROTF!! Ok- maybe you don't drop you're players, but alot of the bandwagon hopping people are the ones that go on bashing binges and made it difficult for more dedicated and long time fans of a player to like.

DutchieGirl
Sep 7th, 2008, 02:00 AM
ROTF!! Ok- maybe you don't drop you're players, but alot of the bandwagon hopping people are the ones that go on bashing binges and made it difficult for more dedicated and long time fans of a player to like.
I know - but not EVERYONE who likes alot of players are bandwagon hoppers. ;) I just wanted to point that out. :p I very rarely change my sig, and even when I do, it's usually just to swap a couple of players, not completely expunge everyone and start again. :p

AnomyBC
Sep 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM

I take personal offense to that :lol: