PDA

View Full Version : US Open Contingency Plan In Case of Rain on Saturday

ImaVeggie
Sep 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Updated: Inclement Weather Advisory (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2008-09-05/200809041220555093218.html)

Friday, September 5, 2008

As of Friday, Sept. 5, at 5:30 p.m. ET
The current weather forecast for the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center calls for rain to begin late tonight, which will subside in the early morning until late afternoon. Rain is then expected throughout Saturday night. Due to this forecast, the USTA is advising the following:

SATURDAY -- REVISED START TIME OF 11:00AM FOR MEN’S SINGLES SEMIFINALS
Historically, match play for the first Men’s Semifinal begins at 12:00 Noon in Arthur Ashe Stadium. However, due to impending inclement weather on Saturday, Sept. 6, the Men’s Singles Semifinals will begin promptly at 11:00 a.m., weather permitting.

SCENARIO I:
IF SATURDAY DAY AND NIGHT SESSIONS ARE BOTH RAINED OUT
In the event that the USTA is forced to cancel the Men’s Singles Semifinals (Session #24) and the Women’s Singles Final (Session #25) due to inclement weather on Saturday, Sept. 6, each session would be rescheduled for Sunday at 1:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., respectively. As a result, the Men’s Singles Final (Session #26) would be rescheduled for Monday at 4:00 p.m. Tickets for each of these sessions would be valid for the same session at its rescheduled date and time.
Specifically,
Men’s Singles Semifinals tickets will be valid for the Men’s Singles Semifinals at its rescheduled date and time of Sunday at 1:00pm;
Women’s Singles Final tickets will be valid for the Women’s Singles Final at its rescheduled date and time of Sunday at 9:00pm;
Men’s Singles Final tickets will be valid for the Men’s Singles Final at its rescheduled date and time of Monday at 4:00pm.The following schedule will apply if both Saturday sessions are rained out:

Match (Session #)
New Date
New Time
TV Broadcaster
Men’s Singles Semifinals (Session #24)
Sunday, Sept. 7th
1:00pm ET
ESPN2
4:00pm ET
CBS Sports*
Women’s Singles Final
(Session #25)
Sunday, Sept. 7th
9:00pm ET
CBS Sports
Men’s Singles Final
(Session #26)
Monday, Sept. 8th
CBS Sports

* CBS live coverage to begin at conclusion of 1:00pm NFL coverage.

SCENARIO II:
IF SATURDAY DAY SESSION COMPLETED AND SATURDAY NIGHT SESSION RAINED OUT
In the event that the USTA is forced to cancel the Saturday Night Women’s Singles Final (Session #25) due to inclement weather, both the Women’s and Men’s Singles Finals would be played on Sunday as two separate sessions -- one at 4:00 p.m. and one at 9:00 p.m. Tickets for the Women’s Singles Final would be valid for its rescheduled time; and tickets for the Men’s Singles Final would be valid for its rescheduled time. The decision regarding which Final will be played at 4:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. will be decided upon based on the time of completion of the Saturday Men’s Semifinals. If the Men’s Semifinals are not completed on Saturday, Scenario I will take effect.
Match (Session #)
New Date
New Time
TV Broadcaster
Singles Final
(Men’s or Women’s Final TBD)
Sunday, Sept. 7th
CBS Sports*
Singles Final
(Men’s or Women’s Final TBD)
Sunday, Sept. 7th
9:00pm ET
CBS Sports

Geisha
Sep 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Fuck. I work Sunday night. I was hoping they'd do it Sunday during the day.

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
They should play both Men semis simultaneously at Armstrong and Ashe when the rains stops on saturday to make sure it will fair to foth finalist when it comes to recovery for the finals.

Pureracket
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
They should play both Men semis simultaneously at Armstrong and Ashe when the rains stops on saturday to make sure it will fair to foth finalist when it comes to recovery for the finals.I would agree with that, but I think the ticket holders paid for both of the semi matches already.

It would be cool if they'd move the womens final to Madison Square Garden. ;)

asiandude
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM

Don't use the word fuck:lol:

vw.
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hmm.. thats interesting. So, the Women's final may be the afternoon match on Sunday, while the Men's would be primetime in that scenario.

I think that'd be cool actually; the US Open Men's Final in Prime Time! :hearts:

drake3781
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM
They should play both Men semis simultaneously at Armstrong and Ashe when the rains stops on saturday to make sure it will fair to foth finalist when it comes to recovery for the finals.

I would agree with that, but I think the ticket holders paid for both of the semi matches already.

It would be cool if they'd move the womens final to Madison Square Garden. ;)

The OOP says something to the effect that one of the matches may be moved.

hacberto
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think it's a good schedule if rain does happen but I think it won't

mashamaniac
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
That's strange! both of men's SF are spectacular and it'd be so tough for broadcasters to choose which one to show? i wish rain would stop before those matches begin so that we'll have both matches respectively...

Vamos.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Is it going to be that bad? :sobbing:

darrinbaker00
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Opposite Week 1 of the NFL schedule?
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Linnie
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:46 AM
This is the predicted path of Hanna, according to NOAA:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W+gif/205301W_sm.gif

It'll most likely hit NYC late Saturday; I imagine it would affect the women's final :(