PDA

View Full Version : Why Is It That Pushing Works On The WTA?!

Vamos.
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Jelena is about to push herself into a Grand Slam Final.

This could never happen on the ATP. I could play as good as Jelena is today and throughout the tournament; why is this even working?

This is a serious question.

And, please, save your energy with the "Oh, she is not actually a pusher. She is subtly aggressive." No. No. She isn't. Just no. No. She is a 100% pusher, fact.

Uranium
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Because if you can run down everything, most women on tour aren't consistent enough with their flat strokes to keep hitting balls with pace, they are bound to make tons of errors:shrug:

Kipling
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM

This could never happen on the ATP. I could play as good as Jelena is today and throughout the tournament; why is this even working?

And, please, save your energy with the "Oh, she is not actually a pusher. She is subtly aggressive." No. No. She isn't. Just no. No. She is a 100% pusher, fact.

Possibly you never heard of Chris Evert?

RenaSlam.
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Pushing doesn't "work".

It can get you to GS SFs and maybe one or two GS F...but it doesn't win you slams.

Marionated
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM

I highly doubt you could defend anywhere near as good as JJ, and no, she isn't a pusher.

sammy01
the stats for the match are so depressing, the semi final is where players are supposed to play their best tennis :help:

Dodoboy.
It's a windy day today!

Vamos.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I highly doubt you could defend anywhere near as good as JJ, and no, she isn't a pusher.

Yes, I could. :shrug:

I am a guy. But still.

Vamos.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
It's a windy day today!

She does this every day. :shrug:

At least Dementieva is taking it on. Jankovic is just getting balls back as always. The wind hasn't affected Dementieva's aggressive strategy.

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
The stats make me want to cry!!!

madmax
Because its a woman game, bro...they don't possess the man's stroking power, just few of them are able to hit winning forehands (Williams sisters, Masha, Ana, Safina). Most are just returning the ball and chasing all the balls awaiting the inevitable error from opponent

Marionated
Yes, I could. :shrug:

I am a guy. But still.
But can you do the splits on hardcourts? :p
Btw, is this not even amaetur?

SVU
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM

If it's a serious question then why arn't you a professional tennis player considering you could play better than her? :shrug:

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
The stats make me want to cry!!!

44 UE's in 1 and a bit sets :sad:

TheFifthAvocado
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Okay, but she doesn't do anything that a long distance runner or sprinter with a little hand eye coordination can't do. There have been at least 10 points where she just puts a racquet on the ball and runs down the next shot until Lena hits an error.

DragonFlame
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
where is my confident elena? :o The one that we've seen in the last 2 matches, the one who doesn't make this many UE(especially on the crosscourtbackhand), the one that is serving consistently well(on the second serve especially) and not hitting DF's at crucial points.(2 DF in last game, 1 at BP jankovic to make it 2-*2)

Elena is shaky, if she doesn't get her act together quick this is over.

LeRoy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
god I miss matches like the SFs in 03 and even 04 with Capriati. :sad:

shap_half
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Just give it up.

Dave.
Why is "pushing" given such a negative image?? It's very difficult to actually pull off especially in big matches. Whatever wins matches is good enough, whether it's power playing or pushing.

madmax
Anyway, at least Jankovic has fancy splits, hehe

Marionated
Okay, but she doesn't do anything that a long distance runner or sprinter with a little hand eye coordination can't do. There have been at least 10 points where she just puts a racquet on the ball and runs down the next shot until Lena hits an error.

But she's playing a lot more aggressive now and hitting a fair few winners. The match is gradually improving.

Dodoboy.
Don't get started sam :haha: :ras:

This is just a bad match :p

supergrunt
Oh please as if men's tennis is no full of pushers.

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Gilles Simon :rocker:

Marionated
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Oh please as if men's tennis is no full of pushers.

Exactly.
People are acting as if the quality of the men's tennis matches in this US open have been so much better than that of the Women's.

LindsayRulz
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Clijsters couldn't only push and wait for the error on every point back in 2003, she had to cover the court well and attack a lot if she wanted to beat the Williamses and Henin. But it seems like in 2008 you can push your way to a GS final.

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Don't get started sam :haha: :ras:

This is just a bad match :p

your like the only person on this board that calls me sam and its my actual name lol

im holding out hope for the 2nd semi! ;)

'im sorry i dont speak pineapple' i love that advert lol (sorry random its just come on t.v)

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Gilles Simon :rocker:

yeah but hes sexy as hell, so i dont mind. longer points = more time perving on him lmao :p

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
:haha:

I know what you mean sam :p I love that advert :hearts:

Yeah, no1 from this semi is winning the tournament, fact.

Safina v Serena will be better. (we can only hope :bigcry: )

DragonFlame
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
omg *3-2 30-30 2 UE from lena and it's 3-3 :o

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Exactly.
People are acting as if the quality of the men's tennis matches in this US open have been so much better than that of the Women's.

Boris Becker has already stated his favourite match :angel:

BK4ever
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
It's like Hingis...you know you can be more than a pusher but if pushing is yielding you great results why change. Unlike Hingis, Jelena has the power to be more than a pusher. What she needs to realize is that to take the final step she needs to be aggressive all the way. People forget that before Jelena became Jelena she was an aggressive big hitter...still with the same amazing movement.

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
52 UE's, if it goes 3 sets we could mke the 100 mark wooooooooooo

Dave.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
^^ Well Safina and Ree are up next so they could do even better :bigclap:

DragonFlame
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
WTF elena, how in the hell did jankovic win that servicegame:( That was disgusting tennis.

Marionated
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
52 UE's, if it goes 3 sets we could mke the 100 mark wooooooooooo

At least there has been a decent amount of winners in this match and some highly entertaining defensive rallies.
It's definitely been better than Chaky-Kuznetsova (and no, that is not a dig at you)

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM
At least there has been a decent amount of winners in this match and some highly entertaining defensive rallies.
It's definitely been better than Chaky-Kuznetsova (and no, that is not a dig at you)

its ok womens tennis is sucky, i love a sucky player, im basking in the suckiness.

p.s is suckiness a word?

barboza
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
This thread is nonsense. Many players squeak or push their way through to reach the final. If you think you're that good, then go play on the WTA tour.

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
^^ Well Safina and Ree are up next so they could do even better :bigclap:

Yeah but there will be like 50 winnas if that happens :shrug:

Wtrain
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
This match is painful to watch.

barboza
Boris Becker has already stated his favourite match :angel:

Which is it?

iPatty
I agree, JJ is a disgusting pusher who wins matches on speed alone...a real testament to the state of the WTA. Of course, you have Murray in the semis on the ATP side so it works both ways.

Protoss
It's like Hingis...you know you can be more than a pusher but if pushing is yielding you great results why change. Unlike Hingis, Jelena has the power to be more than a pusher. What she needs to realize is that to take the final step she needs to be aggressive all the way. People forget that before Jelena became Jelena she was an aggressive big hitter...still with the same amazing movement.
When Martina was winning slams she wasn't just defense though, she had her own kind of aggression, an all court game.

sammy01
This thread is nonsense. Many players squeak or push their way through to reach the final. If you think you're that good, then go play on the WTA tour.

i would but i have a dick :p

Dave.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah but there will be like 50 winnas if that happens :shrug:

I meant errors from Dnara :p She doesn't stop when she gets started. :o

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Which is it?

Williams :)

Lucemferre
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Did you check your avatar? :spit::spit:

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I want to play on the WTA!! :bigcry:

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
we at the 60 UE mark!

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I want to play on the WTA!! :bigcry:

you have that dick problem to. life is such a bitch :lol:

young_gunner913
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Because her opponent is choking. :shrug:

sammy01
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM
4 UE's in the last game from elena, wta sucks and lena d has wasted another chance suprise lol

Olórin
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I really detest the term pushing, it's such inept terminology.

Jankovic isn't pushing the tennis ball, she's hitting it at 50mph. Just because she doesn't hit with the ferocity and purpose of Dementieva doesn't mean she is pushing the ball around. It makes her sound like some sort of five year old who just waits for an error.

Secondly she keeps the ball as deep as anyone. As John Newcombe once said when commenting a match, "I don't care what era you're in, keep the ball deep and you're doing well".

kiwifan
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
At least Demented tried to actually hit winners. :cool:

It was her game to win or lose and she lost, Jelena was just keeping the ball in play. :yawn:

Wiggly
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Both Tours have a lot of pushers. Their weapons is movement and consistency.

ms_nut
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I really detest the term pushing, it's such inept terminology.

Jankovic isn't pushing the tennis ball, she's hitting it at 50mph. Just because she doesn't hit with the ferocity and purpose of Dementieva doesn't mean she is pushing the ball around. It makes her sound like some sort of five year old who just waits for an error.

Secondly she keeps the ball as deep as anyone. As John Newcombe once said when commenting a match, "I don't care what era you're in, keep the ball deep and you're doing well".

:worship::worship: Great post. I agree.I don't think JJ is just as pusher.Look to the 2006 SF against Justine or the 2007 F against Kim Clijsters where she was aggressive as well.(That was a great, high quality match).

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Both Tours have a lot of pushers. Their weapons is movement and consistency.

Any pusher is succesful on the ATP Tour . OTOH , you have a pusher as number 1 on the WTA + another pusher as top 10 (Radwanska)

Dawn Marie
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Pushing doesn't work. It's only a matter of time before she crashes.

moby
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I agree, JJ is a disgusting pusher who wins matches on speed alone...a real testament to the state of the WTA. Of course, you have Murray in the semis on the ATP side so it works both ways.You're kidding, right? Otherwise, that's got to be one of the less enlightened posts on this subject.

Jankovic has a lot more weapons than just her speed. Her backhand DTL is a stroke of genius; she has the control to change the direction of the ball no matter how acute the angle or how hard the ball. And her placement and depth is exemplary. If she were just a pusher, her best surface would not be the American fast hard courts. As for Murray, he's got one of the most creative baseline games in a long while.

Spartan
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM
What's frustrating about JJ is that she has the power and strength to be more aggressive and hit more winners but we just don't see it.
You can't argue with success and this style clearly works for her but I don't find it particularly entertaining to watch.
In most of her matches she hits fewer unforced errors and also fewer winners than her opponent. She just doesn't like taking risks I guess.
But it's taken her this far and I don't think she'll change her tactics now, but if Serena plays like she has been throughout the tournament I don't think JJ can defend her way to the title.

Vamos.
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
But can you do the splits on hardcourts? :p
Btw, is this not even amaetur?

It most certainly is. How on earth did you guess? ;)

Clijsters couldn't only push and wait for the error on every point back in 2003, she had to cover the court well and attack a lot if she wanted to beat the Williamses and Henin. But it seems like in 2008 you can push your way to a GS final.

:worship:...spot on, my friend. :)

yeah but hes sexy as hell, so i dont mind. longer points = more time perving on him lmao :p

:lol:...yep, Jelena spends hours on court yet she looks like a transexual. :sobbing:...we don't even get to admire her beauty.

I always maintain that before you call something somebody has written "nonsense" you read it properly. Ergo Sum...I already said I was a guy. That could be tricky. :shrug:

Show me a player who can skillfully keep the ball in play.

And they will show you a cabinet full of trophys and in Ms Jankovic's case a Grand Slam final. :hearts:

Push to that Mr Vamos.

I don't have a cabinet full of trophys? :sobbing:...you lied to me!

AcesHigh
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I don't think Jelena is a pusher. She's actually very talented. It's just too bad that she showed that last year and not really this year. You really can't win by being a backboard.. well.. maybe the second half of this year, but usually you can't get very far.

The closest I can think of on the men's side who had great success and was a counterpuncher was Guillermo Coria, one of my favorite players, but he was a great player no matter how many haters he had :p

Anyway, I'm glad for the variety instead of a bunch of boring ballbashers.

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Serena just pushed her way to a Final :)

hablo
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Jelena has skills.

Nice dtl bh and she good consistency on her groundstrokes. Has some touch.

Realizes that she doesn't always need to hit hard and go for the winners to win. She's able to construct points to get her opponent in an unconfortable position on the court. It's too bad her kind of game gets no recognition on this board.

I bet some of the posters who criticize Jankovic (and the womens' game) are the same ones who love the "pushers" on the mens' tour, damn hypocrites. :haha:

(By the way, Serena kind of played safe shots today and let Safina implode. Very smart, under such extreme conditions. :yeah: )

cellophane
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Because we have players like Kuznetsova who commits a 1.000,000 UEs and loses in the 3rd round? :tape:

Yes, Jelena "pushed" her way to the finals, but hey, at least she made it there. Not her fault Lena D sucked today.

Bruno71
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Jelena is in a slam final. Not_Even_Mature wastes time trying to convince idiots on a message board that Jelena isn't a very good tennis player. I know who I'm siding with. :shrug:

améliemomo
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:54 PM

clijsters was more impressive than jancovic on all parts.She was not a pusher.She was complete.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM
The closest I can think of on the men's side who had great success and was a counterpuncher was Guillermo Coria, one of my favorite players, but he was a great player no matter how many haters he had :p

Counterpunchers are Nadal , Ferrer and Clijsters. They bring the ball back with aggressiveness
Jankovic is a pusher comparable to Simon - Benneteau - Spadea

AcesHigh
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Counterpunchers are Nadal , Ferrer and Clijsters. They bring the ball back with aggressiveness
Jankovic is a pusher comparable to Simon - Benneteau - Spadea

:confused: No, a counterpuncher is pretty much a defensive baseliner.

brent-o
Sep 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM

Pushing is a negative term. I prefer consistency. And coupled with a little mental strength and that's all you need to climb to the top of the game.

Geisha
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
:confused: No, a counterpuncher is pretty much a defensive baseliner.

No, it's not. :help::tape:

Venus is a counterpuncher. Hingis is a counterpuncher. They wait for the opening and go for it. Jankovic doesn't go for it.

Vamos.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Jelena is in a slam final. Not_Even_Mature wastes time trying to convince idiots on a message board that Jelena isn't a very good tennis player. I know who I'm siding with. :shrug:

:lol:...that is very good to know. :shrug:

Am I playing her, or something? Thank God you are siding with her, I really don't want to be your avatar for the rest of your life. :shrug:

AcesHigh

Venus is a counterpuncher. Hingis is a counterpuncher. They wait for the opening and go for it. Jankovic doesn't go for it.

Look up the term :smash:

SIN DIOS NI LEY

:worship:

Vamos.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:04 AM

THANK. THE. LORD.

A realistic and correct poster. Jankovic is different to any counterpuncher on either the WTA or ATP; there is NO going for it with JJ, EVER. She literally just gets the ball back. :shrug:...it works though, so she is definitely the one laughing.

BTW, did anybody ever watch the Miami 2008 Final? That is how you beat a pusher.

If that Serena shows up, Jelena is done with.

Bruno71
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM
THANK. THE. LORD.

A realistic and correct poster. Jankovic is different to any counterpuncher on either the WTA or ATP; there is NO going for it with JJ, EVER. She literally just gets the ball back. :shrug:...it works though, so she is definitely the one laughing.

BTW, did anybody ever watch the Miami 2008 Final? That is how you beat a pusher.

If that Serena shows up, Jelena is done with.

Choke lead after lead against a sick opponent and smash your racket before finally putting away one of many match points? I'm not sure that's *exactly* the way Serena wants to hit this ineffective counterpuncher off the court, my friend. We'll see how they do this time.

moby
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM

:worship:
THANK. THE. LORD. A realistic and correct poster.

Venus Williams is a counterpuncher? What universe do you all live in?

Vamos.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:08 AM

:lol:...you're right; for the record, I do not agree with the Venus part of the post. :o

cellophane
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Venus a counterpuncher :haha: :haha: :haha:

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM

i have no idea what goes through peoples minds sometimes?

AcesHigh
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM
OMG.. what retards :weirdo:

Playing a Counter Puncher By Paul Annacone

When you play a counter-puncher, you’d better expect a dogfight. Here’s how to come out a winner.

Call them whatever nickname you like—“pushers,” “backboards,” “walls,” “moonballers”—but the fact is that counter-punchers are worthy and able opponents.

from TENNIS.com

brent-o
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like a whole lot of bitter people on here. If you're so certain pushing/retrieving/counter punching is useless, why has it gotten Jelena so far? You may not like that style, but the hard-hitting error fest that was Ana's early round exit sure wasn't fun to watch either. Yet we don't see tons of threads crop up about how ballbashing is killing the WTA. Besides, why are people so touchy about her pushing now that she's in a final? :hehehe:

The Dawntreader
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Bizarro world alert!:tape:

Venus Williams a counterpuncher:lol:

I guess Camille Pin is the biggest hitter of them all then :haha:

AcesHigh
Actually.. retards is too strong, sorry. I am just realizing how little some people here know about tennis.

Vamos.
Sounds like a whole lot of bitter people on here. If you're so certain pushing/retrieving/counter punching is useless, why has it gotten Jelena so far? You may not like that style, but the hard-hitting error fest that was Ana's early round exit sure wasn't fun to watch either. Yet we don't see tons of threads crop up about how ballbashing is killing the WTA. Besides, why are people so touchy about her pushing now that she's in a final? :hehehe:

You obviously don't visit GM much. Ana gets so much stick.

sammy01
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Actually.. retards is too strong, sorry. I am just realizing how little some people here know about tennis.

i figured that out a while ago. reading some posts you realise either, some people dont watch much tennis, or they dont understand what they are watching.

thats why posts by people like you are a breath of fresh air.

Black Mamba.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM
A win is a win. It doesn't matter how you get it.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:24 AM

It was due to the explanation . Not the Venus part

homogenius
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM
:spit:
Some answers here :help:

ChriS.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I agree, JJ is a disgusting pusher who wins matches on speed alone...a real testament to the state of the WTA. Of course, you have Murray in the semis on the ATP side so it works both ways.If you do not like the rules of tennis go and support another sport. Great defense is every bit as important as great attack in any sport. The ability to cover the court and react quickly (anticipate) is an important skill. It takes a combination of skills to win matches.

ChriS.
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Pushing doesn't work. It's only a matter of time before she crashes.The $5 million JJ has won says your an idiot!

OsloErik
Sep 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Being a pusher is one thing. Being a pusher with supreme placement is another. Jankovic is another name in the long line of players with terrific anticipation, movement, and placement. Evert, ASV...it's not as if we're talking about a one-off.

And what do you mean, there aren't pushers in men's tennis? Mariano Puerta? Guillermo Canas? Even Nadal began his career relying much more on his movement than his forehand.

frenchie
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Stupid thread

before trying to hit a winner, the rules in tennis say you have to hit IN the court....
Being consistent doesn't make you a pusher!

Some players are not built like Kuznetsova so they have to find a way to win points

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Sep 6th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Being a pusher is one thing. Being a pusher with supreme placement is another. Jankovic is another name in the long line of players with terrific anticipation, movement, and placement. Evert, ASV...it's not as if we're talking about a one-off.

And what do you mean, there aren't pushers in men's tennis? Mariano Puerta? Guillermo Canas? Even Nadal began his career relying much more on his movement than his forehand.

Cañas is a pusher , Puerta is not and Nadal in the beginning of his career was more agresive than in the 2004 -2005 period. Now Rafito is almost as agresive as in the beginning

Aaron.
Sep 6th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Some of you are stupid.

In tennis there are many styles of play and your body height and strength etc are things that help your style of play.

Jelena isnt very tall and shes very fast not powerful either

You want her to try to be agressive? Tennis is not all about hitting winners but some of you wouldnt know shit cause you dont play.

Pushing the ball is using your opponets pace you cant say someone's a pusher just because they dont go for winners that's consistent tennis and those are called counter punchers

Idiots on WTAworld...like always