PDA

View Full Version : US Open 2008!

Wintermute
Aug 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
US Open
Flushing Meadows, NY, USA
August 25 - September 7, 2008

www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org)

Anna's section of the draw (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ws/r1s3.html) - top part of the bottom half:

Elena Dementieva RUS (5) vs. Akgul Amanmuradova UZB
Pauline Parmentier FRA vs. Marina Erakovic NZL

Qualifier vs. Anne Keothavong GBR
Nuria Llagostera Vives ESP vs. Francesca Schiavone ITA (25)

Shahar Peer ISR (24) vs. Na Li CHN
Jelena Kostanic Tosic CRO vs. Sara Errani ITA

Ekaterina Bychkova RUS vs. Anastasia Rodionova RUS
Ekaterina Makarova RUS vs. Anna Chakvetadze RUS (10)

Anna is defending 450 points from her semi-final loss to Svetlana Kuznetsova last year.

She has a decent draw, surrounding by Russians in the first two rounds. Anna needs to go deep to defend all those points. Her good run at New Haven may take some pressure off.

charlieluvtennis
Aug 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think Anna will have a good run at USO :)

goldenlox
Aug 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think there's a good chance Anna plays Lena in R15, with the winner playing Sveta in the quarters.
This is a very good draw. Li is dangerous, but she has to play Peer.

Pink Princess
Aug 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Nice Draw for Anna Chakvy, I am glad for her:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

Wintermute
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Monday's schedule:

Louis Armstrong Stadium

1 Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
David Ferrer (ESP)[4] v. Martin Vassallo Arguello (ARG)

followed by
2 Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Shuai Zhang (CHN) v. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)[3]

3 Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Sergio Roitman (ARG) v. Andy Murray (GBR)[6]

4 Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) v. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)[10]

5 Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)[17] v. Guillermo Canas (ARG)

charlieluvtennis
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM
:bounce: Come on Anna! :bounce:

peanuts
Aug 25th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Thank you Wintermute for posting all that info. Looking further, the 3rd quarter of the draw is indeed a Russian festival. :lol:

Haven't seen Makarova play. Just found out in her profile that she's a lefty. And has won only one match since Eastbourne. Anna should get past her.

RsaibotD
Aug 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
at least she'll play on a center court.... so many time that I don't see a match of her, finally I can see her :D, good luck Anna!!!, you're a top ten player :cool:

penkku
Aug 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Good luck Anna :)

Wintermute
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Anna takes the first set 6-1. Pretty comfortable so far but Makarova is not really asking any questions of her.

Wintermute
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Anna lost the second set 6-2. Awful play from her, she basically self-destructed. :help: Makarova really did nothing. One of the commentators made a good point that perhaps at this stage it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: Anna expects herself to lose the plot in the second set and that manifests itself.

Wintermute
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Makarova bt Chakvetadze 1-6 6-2 6-3

:sobbing:

Nothing good to say about Anna's performance.

fish_wilson
Aug 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: And I think she needs a :hug: . This was awful. And she did not
play well. The girl needs some rest from tennis i think, doesn't seem like she enjoy it that much right now. But she will come back, so much talent.

cosmoose
Aug 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
O-M-G?!?! :eek: :help: :eek: :help:

Episode
Aug 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Anna needs to take a few weeks off. She clearly doesn't have her head on right. We all know she can play better than this but once she loses a few tough points, she implodes. It's sad watching her lose the way she is.

goldenlox
Aug 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Here's the good part, this was a tough draw with Li in round 3 and Dementieva in round 4.
The bad part is that she should not lose a match like this

RsaibotD
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
.... I'm speechless :eek:, and she loves this Grand Slam :sad:.....

peanuts
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:29 AM
OMG! I just saw the result. :sobbing: :sad: I cannot believe it!!! This is so sad. I wasn't expecting her to win the whole shebang but losing in the first round was definitely not what I had in mind. :sobbing: :sobbing:

charlieluvtennis
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:33 AM
:bigcry: Anna! :bigcry:

cosmoose
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:39 AM
When Anna starts losing, she doesn't THINK!
Instead of taking time and gathering her thoughts, she plays at warp speed.

GeorgianFan
Aug 26th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Anna :eek:

Protoss
Aug 26th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Is she still playing the ball bashing game?

Cyzer
Aug 26th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Oh that is such a horrible loss I am at a loss of words almost :-X.

This is NOT a match she should ever loose. WTF is this new game is adopting?!! She is trying to hit it as hard as Serena and it just isn't getting the job done. ;) She was obviously so much more successful playing her finesse game and using her speed and placement to throw off her opponents. I didn't watch the match, but the error count speaks for itself. Anna should never have more than 30 errors in a match with the game she usually places. :o

oh well, her ranking is going to severely drop now. brace yourself :(

PerfectForm
Aug 26th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Good job Chakky :(

Aonex
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Oh that is such a horrible loss I am at a loss of words almost :-X.

This is NOT a match she should ever loose. WTF is this new game is adopting?!! She is trying to hit it as hard as Serena and it just isn't getting the job done. ;) She was obviously so much more successful playing her finesse game and using her speed and placement to throw off her opponents. I didn't watch the match, but the error count speaks for itself. Anna should never have more than 30 errors in a match with the game she usually places. :o

oh well, her ranking is going to severely drop now. brace yourself :(

Just thought I'd chime in. I too was really disappointed that she was eliminated in the first round. I live in New York and was looking forward to seeing her again at Flushing this year. With her adopting a new, more aggressive game, it's going to take time before she gets used to it. Sure, the reason I became a fan of hers was because of her unique style of smart tennis that is lacking in the women's game today, but I'm sure everyone around her felt that she needed to hit bigger in order to compete with the top 5 players. Maybe this is what it'll take, the mixing of her finesse game with more power when she needs it. It'll probably get worse before it gets better... but in the long run, I'm optimistic that she'll get used to the more aggressive play and hopefully get back into the top 5. Just hope she doesn't become a complete baseline basher.

Protoss
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Just thought I'd chime in. I too was really disappointed that she was eliminated in the first round. I live in New York and was looking forward to seeing her again at Flushing this year. With her adopting a new, more aggressive game, it's going to take time before she gets used to it. Sure, the reason I became a fan of hers was because of her unique style of smart tennis that is lacking in the women's game today, but I'm sure everyone around her felt that she needed to hit bigger in order to compete with the top 5 players. Maybe this is what it'll take, the mixing of her finesse game with more power when she needs it. It'll probably get worse before it gets better... but in the long run, I'm optimistic that she'll get used to the more aggressive play and hopefully get back into the top 5. Just hope she doesn't become a complete baseline basher.
She has a good head to head against #2 Jankovic (6-3) and a decent record against #1 Ivanovic (2-3).

Assuming there isn't a huge improvement in her results, at what point does she concede that her new ball bashing game isn't working though?

cosmoose
Aug 27th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Problem with her new style is that its All Bashing, All the Time.
Which leads to All Bashing, All Errors, All the Time.

She should be more selective. Use her finesse game and then in key points, surprise her opponent with unexpected power.

Wintermute
Aug 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Anna is sticking around NYC because she's in the Mixed Doubles draw paired with Max Mirnyi.

They don't get it easy because their opening round is against Nadia Petrova and Jonas Bjorkman.

Wintermute
Aug 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM
No wooden spoon for Anna: her conqueror, Makarova, is into round 3. I have to say I'm slightly surprised because I wasn't overly impressed with Makarova.

charlieluvtennis
Aug 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
:( Anna needs to sort herself out

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 28th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Anna :sad: :sad:

03 RuleTheCourt
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
really don't get it how that style of playing keeps her in the top 10 :confused:
When she began playing she started like Hingis (think first, think tactical, hit it)
but nowadays all we tend to see is a Sharapova clone without the "rip". Anna
CAN play tactical, but it seems hard hitting is "more fun" for her i guess... :sad:

Anyone agrees ?

RS232
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
really don't get it how that style of playing keeps her in the top 10 :confused:
When she began playing she started like Hingis (think first, think tactical, hit it)
but nowadays all we tend to see is a Sharapova clone without the "rip". Anna
CAN play tactical, but it seems hard hitting is "more fun" for her i guess... :sad:

Anyone agrees ?

I think that she has not changed her style of play, for me, she hits not harder!

03 RuleTheCourt
Aug 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I think that she has not changed her style of play, for me, she hits not harder!

Then you think it's a pure mental issue ?
Cause if it is, then she could find help to get her over it, so she can keep it focussed back on court.
Her mood changes from hot to cold in an instance, even tropical storms are more predictable than
what she's going to do on court lately. Don't get me wrong, i'm still a huge-day-one-fan of her, but i miss that
effect of beďng hooked on a match cause she's actually winning it.:sad:

charlieluvtennis
Aug 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Good luck in mixed doubles Anna! :yeah:

Wintermute
Aug 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Bjorkman/Petrova bt Mirnyi/Chakvetadze 6-3 6-1

Not exactly the biggest surprise but it's another first round losers cheque in the bank and Anna's out of New York.

What next? It's the Fed Cup final in a couple of weeks. Will Anna make the squad despite her shaky form?

cosmoose
Aug 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM
What next? It's the Fed Cup final in a couple of weeks. Will Anna make the squad despite her shaky form?
Not if Russia wants to win. :help:

goldenlox
Aug 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
If Lena doesn't play in Spain, they need Anna there.

charlieluvtennis
Aug 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
:awww:
If she does make the team for fed cup, i hope Anna can play better.

Sharapower8
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
:sad:

HowardH
Aug 31st, 2008, 08:44 PM
I think if Anna is chosen for the fed cup team she will play better in fed cup than in her normal matches, because she has the mental support of a team (and country) behind her. I'm more worried about whether she can figure out how to win by herself, on the court, in normal tournaments. At the moment I feel like she's a bit of a mental diabetic: she goes from a mental high to an all time low within the space of minutes. :help: :sad:

charlieluvtennis
Aug 31st, 2008, 09:57 PM
I think if Anna is chosen for the fed cup team she will play better in fed cup than in her normal matches, because she has the mental support of a team (and country) behind her. I'm more worried about whether she can figure out how to win by herself, on the court, in normal tournaments. At the moment I feel like she's a bit of a mental diabetic: she goes from a mental high to an all time low within the space of minutes. :help: :sad:

I agree with you :sad:

Episode
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM
I think Anna definitely needs to be on the Fed Cup team in a few weeks. Being taken off would pretty much destroy whatever confidence she has left right now. She needs something to make herself feel good for a while and that could be it.

cosmoose
Sep 1st, 2008, 12:32 AM
If Lena doesn't play in Spain, they need Anna there.
Nope. Russians can still use Kuznetsova and Safina.
Petrova and Vesnina for doubles.

RS232
Sep 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
for fed cup

no Safina and Dementieva

ok Kuznetsova and Vesnina, for the others, not information :confused:

charlieluvtennis
Sep 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Anna not been picked :sad:

Gdog
Sep 6th, 2008, 03:24 AM
It started out a tough year for Anna and everytime we get a little sense of good things happening (winning at fed cup in Israel, getting to the final a couple of weeks ago) our hopes along with Anna's gets dashed. Anna is a good athlete and a very good tennis player so I have no doubts that she will bounce back. I don't know if it will anytime this year though. This had to be a tough loss for her but it happens to most of the top players I was a fan of Monica Seles long before Anna was playing and she had some similar bumps in the road. She did just fine overall I would say. Anna's loss was shocking and made me as well as all of the other AChak fans out there sad, but in the history of things, Ana I's loss was by far more shocking.

I'm rooting for Anna all the way and I know she will be back in the top 10 soon, just probably not this year.

Good luck Anna in your next tournament and until then :hug:

Iggy
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM
As some people have pointed out, I think we should give Anna a chance to get used to the new style of play her coach is trying to implement. Getting upset in the first round and missing the Fed Cup at least will give her more practice time. I'm interested in seeing how she will do in the Asian tournaments.

charlieluvtennis
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, i will deffo keep on rooting for Anna :hug:
She will bounce back! :)