PDA

View Full Version : Caro at the US Open

C. W. Fields
Aug 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Instead of only writing about Caro's tournaments in the 'Danish Delight' thread, I think we should start a thread for each of the GS tournaments specifically, and maybe for a few other major tournaments as well. And not just for one year. Next year Caro will no doubt be playing at the USO again, and then it might be fun to restart this thread, to look back and see where was Caro and where were we at this time last year. :)

The draw will be announced in a couple of hours (11 am New York time). Caro is the 21 seed which should give her a relatively easy couple of first rounds. Last year she made it to the 2nd round. This year I will be disappointed if she doesn't make it to at least round 4. By then she will probably encounter one of the top players. The whole shebang will be there except for an injured Sharapova. :bounce:

What do you expect from Caro at the USO this year? That she wins? :rolleyes: If not, then who is your favorite? I think it's a very open tournament this year and hard to pinpoint a clear favorite. But I think it's a fair bet to assume that the winner will be either Russian, American or Serbian! :D

kinseh
Aug 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
I think it's a good idea to have a thread for each GS / big tournament. :yeah:

It's a big confusing if we have too many threads, but a picture thread, a general thread (the "Danish Delight" one), and a thread for the big tournaments is fine. :D

I expect Caro to reach at least round 4. Maybe the QF if she doesn't draw a big gun in round 4. It's going to be very exciting to follow her at the USO this year.

C. W. Fields
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:09 PM
I think it's a good idea to have a thread for each GS / big tournament. :yeah:

It's a big confusing if we have too many threads, but a picture thread, a general thread (the "Danish Delight" one), and a thread for the big tournaments is fine. :D

I expect Caro to reach at least round 4. Maybe the QF if she doesn't draw a big gun in round 4. It's going to be very exciting to follow her at the USO this year.

One of the good things about a thread like this is that after the tournament is over probably noone will write in it for almost a year, so it will drop to the bottom and not cluster the busy threads.

The draw is up http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ws/r1s4.html
Caro's 1st round opponent is Asha Rolle (#147), a wildcard player. In round 2 it will be either Emilie Loit (#108) or a Q-player. In round 3 likely Victoria Azarenka (#15). In round 4 likely Jelena Jankovic! It's like we expected; no terrifying opponent for the first three rounds and then a top seed. But judging by their Wimbledon match it's far from impossible for Caro to beat JJ who's results at the USO arent too impressive (she has only made it to the SF once in four tries, two years ago). So Caro should definitely make it to round 4 and maybe even further. :cool:

sunsfuns
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Azarenka could be difficult on a good day...

C. W. Fields
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Azarenka could be difficult on a good day...

Sure, you don't rise to be #15 in the world by being a bad player, but I think she's the kind of opponent Caro will beat if our girl plays her best. Actually, Azarenka has only beaten one top 15 player this year (Chakvetadze in Berlin) and she also seems to have frequent troubles with her knees. So, like I said; not too terrifying. .

Jorn
Aug 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Caro's part of the draw:

Victoria Azarenka BLR (14) v Klara Zakopalova CZE
Karin Knapp ITA v Iveta Benesova CZE
Emilie Loit FRA v Q-Maria Elena Camerin ITA
Caroline Wozniacki DEN (21) v Ahsha Rolle USA
---
Anabel Medina Garrigues ESP (26) v Tsvetana Pironkova BUL
Jie Zheng CHN v Q-Shenay Perry USA
Zi Yan CHN v Sofia Arvidsson SWE
Coco Vandeweghe USA v Jelena Jankovic SRB (2)

Could have been worse! Good Luck Caro!

yukon145
Aug 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
best of luck Caro!

kinseh
Aug 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
I think her draw is fine, actually! I expect her to reach the 4th round at least. QF would be amazing. She definitely has a shot at Jelena.

Best of luck, Caro! :D

sunsfuns
Aug 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Sure, you don't rise to be #15 in the world by being a bad player, but I think she's the kind of opponent Caro will beat if our girl plays her best. Actually, Azarenka has only beaten one top 15 player this year (Chakvetadze in Berlin) and she also seems to have frequent troubles with her knees. So, like I said; not too terrifying. .

Sure, but then again no one in that range (#9-#16) is particularly terrifying... ;)

I would have preferred Dani, Marion, Flavia or Agnes...

Amalgamate
Aug 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Sure, but then again no one in that range (#9-#16) is particularly terrifying... ;)

I would have preferred Dani, Marion, Flavia or Agnes...

There are a lot of seeds Caro could have met that I would have preferred over Vika :sad: It really sucks they have to meet in the 3R. I just hope the winner of the Caro/Vika match beats Jankovic in the 4R to make the Quarters!

sharapovarulz1
Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
This thread is a very good idea :D

There are a lot of seeds Caro could have met that I would have preferred over Vika It really sucks they have to meet in the 3R. I just hope the winner of the Caro/Vika match beats Jankovic in the 4R to make the Quarters!

I agree with you Amalgamate but Caro has the game to beat Vika and we all saw at Wimbledon how far Caro pushed JJ and JJ hasn't been in sizzling form lately so I do believe Caro can get past both of them :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Caro's current results are of course ground for optimism before the USO, but I'm also a little worried about another aspect. Her self confidence should be high, but with the Olympics and New Haven back to back today's final will be her 8th match in two weeks, plus she has travelled halfway round the world, and in just two days she will start her next tournament. I hope she has the stamina for it and won't perform below level at the USO because she's tired.
Many young players end up with stress inujries because their schedule is just too hard. Let's pray Caro and Piotr are too smart to make that mistake. At least she will be getting some rest after the USO before Tokyo September 15.

Dinayer
Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Good luck Caro :yeah:

Protoss
Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
So does Caro start play on monday or tuesday?

kinseh
Aug 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Nice preparation for the US Open, huh? :D Caro's confidence must be sky-high!

I hope it's Tuesday! She needs some rest.

sunsfuns
Aug 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Monday.

Dodoboy.
Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Monday sadly :(

She does have a little while to recover :)

svetaisthebest
Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
this thread is a great idea :)

Good Luck Caro :D hopefully she can rest a bit since she starts playing again so soon.

sunsfuns
Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Weak opponent. Caro ought to be allright.

Dodoboy.
Aug 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Rolle should be quite easy :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Rolle should be quite easy :)

Yes, she should be, but...
I cant help think of Eastbourne. Caro beats Kuznetsova easily, so her match the next day against #157, Samantha Stosur, should be a walk in the park. But she lost in two sets! I hope history doesn't repeat itself and she goes from beating a top ranked player to lose aginst a low ranked player (Rolle is ranked #146).
I think one of the problems at Eastbourne was an inability to deal with the success of defeating her first top 5 opponent. She was swarmed by the world media and already the next day she had to put all that out of her head; play a new match and defeat a new opponent. She wasn't able to do that. And maybe she also underestimated Stosur.

Now Caro has just two days to put all the cheer from New Haven, all thoughts of having won her first Tier II tournamnet, behind her and concentrate 100% on a new tournament and a new opponent, whom she mustn't underestimate. It will be a test of how well Caro deals with success and whether she has learned something in the two months since Eastbourne.
Caro's general attitude seems to be not to look back and not to look more than one match ahead. It's a good approach, and if she can stay true to it she should certainly beat Rolle, unless tiredness becomes a factor.

Protoss
Aug 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I cant help think of Eastbourne. Caro beats Kuznetsova easily, so her match the next day against #157, Samantha Stosur, should be a walk in the park. But she lost in two sets! I hope history doesn't repeat itself and she goes from beating a top ranked player to lose aginst a low ranked player (Rolle is ranked #146).
I think one of the problems at Eastbourne was an inability to deal with the success of defeating her first top 5 opponent. She was swarmed by the world media and already the next day she had to put all that out of her head; play a new match and defeat a new opponent. She wasn't able to do that. And maybe she also underestimated Stosur.

Now Caro has just two days to put all the cheer from New Haven, all thoughts of having won her first Tier II tournamnet, behind her and concentrate 100% on a new tournament and a new opponent, whom she mustn't underestimate. It will be a test of how well Caro deals with success and whether she has learned something in the two months since Eastbourne.
Caro's general attitude seems to be not to look back and not to look more than one match ahead. It's a good approach, and if she can stay true to it she should certainly beat Rolle, unless tiredness becomes a factor.
Stosur's ranking was so low because of injury. Stosur is now ranked #72 and Rolle #146.

I think there's a big difference between Stosur and Rolle though. Stosur's highest ranking is #27 and highest year end ranking is #29. Stosur has 4 top 20 wins in 2007 & 2008. Rolle's highest ranking is #82 and highest year end ranking is #115. Rolle has 1 top 40 win in her career so far (Tati in the 1st round at the 2007 US Open) and has only won 1 other set against a top 40 player (Koukoalova in the 1st round at Philadelphia in 2005).

I think Stosur's serve & volley game confused Caro. I think that was a large part of the loss.

Bitmap
Aug 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Good idea with sereval threads, for carolines upcoming big tournaments..:)

Good luck tomorrow Caroline against rolle , no sweat...:worship:

rcirani
Aug 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Stosur also played extremely well in that match. She came in to the net a lot and didn't miss a single volley.

Caro will be fine with Rolle, she's nowhere near Stosur's level.

Derek.
Aug 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Caro's draw definitely is not easy once she gets to the 3rd round.
Azarenka rarely ever loses to someone younger and ranked below her.

But if Caro's on her game she'll definitely have a chance to score the upset.

Good luck Caro! :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Azarenka rarely ever loses to someone younger and ranked below her.

Azarenka turned 19 less than a month ago, so it's probably not often she plays against someone younger than herself! ;)
Caro is barely a year younger and there's only four spots and less than 200 points separating them on the rankings list, so...

Carofan
Aug 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Azaranka`s best wins this year are against Bammer, Chakvetadze and Schiavone, she has problems with the superstars. Atleast a 50/50 chance for Caro if she makes this far.

C. W. Fields
Aug 25th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Caro is in the bottom half preview: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2553

(21) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) vs. Ahsha Rolle (USA) - Wozniacki leads, 1-0
Tagged a future star since the juniors thanks to a well-rounded game, 18-year-old Wozniacki is fulfilling her promise. Ranked No.60 at the start of the year, it took Ana Ivanovic to stop her in the fourth round at the Australian Open, and again in the third round at Roland Garros; at Wimbledon, Jankovic needed three sets to prevail. Meantime, wins over Svetlana Kuznetsova and Marion Bartoli added to her reputation, so that the Dane's first tournament win, at Stockholm's Tier IV event in July, had an air of inevitability about it. Added to that, she arrives at Flushing Meadows as a Top 20 debutante, fresh from defeating Anna Chakvetadze for the Tier II title at New Haven. If Rolle, 23, hasn't lived up to expectations in the same way, she notably made the third round here last year. Now would be a great time to make an impact.

Nice little article, except Stockholm started in July but ended in August.

C. W. Fields
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Caro has entered the doubles as well:

Marta Domachowska POL
Caroline Wozniacki DEN
v
Sybille Bammer AUT
Martina Muller GER

Rika Fujiwara JPN
Su-Wei Hsieh TPE
v
Anabel Medina Garrigues ESP (5)
Virginia Ruano Pascual ESP (5)

Caro has never partnered with Domachowska before who's doubles record this year is 3-5, but they have practised together on occasion. I'll be surprised if they're going to win more than one match.

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Good luck in doubles :D

Destiny
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Take them down Caro

Come on :rocker2:

Hope she still has her confidence

Destiny
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Omg she's playing doubles :inlove:

Good luck Caro

Dodoboy.
Aug 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Caro good luck in doubles!

kinseh
Aug 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Stosur's ranking was so low because of injury. Stosur is now ranked #72 and Rolle #146.

I think there's a big difference between Stosur and Rolle though. Stosur's highest ranking is #27 and highest year end ranking is #29. Stosur has 4 top 20 wins in 2007 & 2008. Rolle's highest ranking is #82 and highest year end ranking is #115. Rolle has 1 top 40 win in her career so far (Tati in the 1st round at the 2007 US Open) and has only won 1 other set against a top 40 player (Koukoalova in the 1st round at Philadelphia in 2005).

I think Stosur's serve & volley game confused Caro. I think that was a large part of the loss.

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up, Protoss. The only reason that Sam was ranked so low when Caro played her was that she had been injured for a long time. Sam is a very, very good player, and her serve-and-volley game is awesome. It was very windy that day, and she just handled the conditions better than Caro.

Nice to see that she is playing doubles, although I would prefer her to focus on singles. She has mentioned before that she gets along with the Polish girls and speaks Polish to them. :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:10 PM
There, the last match before Caro's just finished. Not too long now.

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
5-2 :)

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
6-2 :yeah:

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
2-0 :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Caro's set on Rolle's fifth double fault! Seems like we have been seeing a lot of that lately; Caro's opponent DF'ing on important points (Cornet, Chakvetadze and now Rolle). Apparently Caro exerts a certain pressure.

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
3-0 :banana:

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM
4-0
Go!

:D

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM
5-0 :rocker:

C. W. Fields
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
6-2, 6-1 Caro :) From 2-2 this was a washout. Rolle made far too many UEs for this to be a real match, despite Caro's 1st serve being a little iffy. Caro's next opponent will be Maria Elena Camerin of Italy, who beat Emile Loit 0 & 2. Camerin is ranked #133 and has a 16-18 record so far this year.

Protoss
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
6-2, 6-1 Caro :) From 2-2 this was a washout. Rolle made far too many UEs for this to be a real match, despite Caro's 1st serve being a little iffy. Caro's next opponent will be Maria Elena Camerin of Italy, who beat Emile Loit 0 & 2. Camerin is ranked #133 and has a 16-18 record so far this year.
Good job Caro. :)

Big shock #146 couldn't make a real match with #18. :p

Carofan
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The last game was shown live on Eurosport, I will put up the clip tomorrow morning. She has some new clothes for USO. Well done Caro :yeah:

That Rolle is a huge girl, good it wasnt a fist fight :lol:

C. W. Fields
Aug 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Camerin is 0-4 against top 50 opponents this year, her best win being at Stockholm against Marina Erakovic who was #51 at the time. Her most 'impressive' match results may be pushing Dementieva and Errani to three sets, two players who have both beaten Caro in straight sets.

Dinayer
Aug 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM
well done caro :yeah:

Carofan
Aug 26th, 2008, 06:01 AM
The last games vs Rolle. She feelt a little tired but keeping the ball deep and in play was enough to force tons of errors out of Rolle. Caro`s native american? inspired cut dress :)

http://www.megaupload.com/dk/?d=7PNF8H6A

kinseh
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Well done, Caro. :banana:

Camerin shouldn't be a problem either!

C. W. Fields
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Caro has entered the doubles as well:

Marta Domachowska POL
Caroline Wozniacki DEN
v
Sybille Bammer AUT
Martina Muller GER

Rika Fujiwara JPN
Su-Wei Hsieh TPE
v
Anabel Medina Garrigues ESP (5)
Virginia Ruano Pascual ESP (5)

Caro has never partnered with Domachowska before who's doubles record this year is 3-5, but they have practised together on occasion. I'll be surprised if they're going to win more than one match.

I can't help wondering how wise it is for Caro to enter the doubles. I know it helps kill the waiting between the singles matches, but considering how tough her program has been lately I would think she should rest as much as possible. Sure, a doubles match is nowhere near as exhausting as an extra singles match, but still...
A part of me is glad that she'll probably be out of the doubles already in 1R or 2R.

kinseh
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Here's Caro's US Open dress:

http://i37.tinypic.com/103u4h2.jpg

I think it suits her. :yeah: When I first saw it on Ana, I thought it was disgusting, but it doesn't look as bad on Caro.

Wolfruler
Aug 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
thanks for video carofan!!! and thanks for posting caro in her new dress, kinseh!! I dont know what to say about her dress. I think I will just say: "no comment" ;)

rcirani
Aug 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I like the dress. I think it looks nice on her. Then again, I'd probably think anything looked nice if Caro was wearing it. :)

sharapovarulz1
Aug 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Love the new dress on Caro :D

Dodoboy.
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Her dress is really nice!

Bitmap
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Great job yesterday Caroline, got to see the last points of the match from eurosport!!! Good luck tomorrow!!! Dress suits her very well'

Jorn
Aug 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Its a beauty team, Marta D. plays in a dress the same colours. :)

Caro has also Entered the Mixed dubs, with that same Polish guy Matkowski.

Good Luck tomorrow Caro! She plays 4th on Grandstand, may be moved to AA stadium.

yukon145
Aug 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Caro looks great, good luck tomorrow!

Protoss
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Its a beauty team, Marta D. plays in a dress the same colours. :)

Caro has also Entered the Mixed dubs, with that same Polish guy Matkowski.

Good Luck tomorrow Caro! She plays 4th on Grandstand, may be moved to AA stadium.
Why is Caro playing both doubles and mixed? If she goes relatively far in singles, she's not gonna have a day off to recover.

Wolfruler
Aug 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Why is Caro playing both doubles and mixed? If she goes relatively far in singles, she's not gonna have a day off to recover.
I dont get that either!!??

rcirani
Aug 27th, 2008, 08:23 AM
She'll be fine, she's young and fit and doubles matches aren't usually too stressful. They can be a good way of winding down after a tough singles match. It will be interesting to see Caro and Marta playing together in the exact same outfit too.

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM

I'm worrying abot that, too. Let's hope it's a sign of Caro being very confident about her form and wishing to play as much as possible. And like sombody pointed out; doubles matches are always good for practising your net game, an aspect of her game where I feel she needs to improve.

Wolfruler
Aug 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Is it me, or arent there just too many threads covering the same thing right now...?? I think it all gets a little confusing!

Just a thought ;)

Jorn
Aug 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Det er ikke forvirrende hvis vi bare poster alt her fra US Open, and pics in the Picture thread.

The danish ES snooker Commentator said Eurosport will show Caro's match tonight, but i doubt it, if it played on Grandstand.

we may watch it on www.bwin.com Live Streaming, they had all matches yesterday (But its not free)

Wolfruler
Aug 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
okay Jorn så gør vi/jeg det!! ;)

Carofan
Aug 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
bwin will show caro`s match, its listed there as live video. I highly doubt the full Caro match will be shown on Eurosport centercourt or not. We will proberly see some random french player in action tonight as Eurosport is french :D

Destiny
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
What time are the probably gone show it?? :)

kinseh
Aug 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Wow, Caro likes teaming up with Polish players. :lol: I'd like to see her and Agnieszka playing doubles together. I think it's fine that she plays double as long as it's just for fun; it isn't as tough as singles, and it helps you with improving your volleys.

Good luck tonight! :yeah:

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know the rules for moving a match to another court? How late must the matches run at the Grandstand for Caro's match to be moved to Ashe?

Jorn
Aug 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Jankovic played 3 sets on Ashe stadium, so Caro's match won't get moved and a mens macth still playing.

Ithink she plays on Grandstand as scheduled, next match after mens match.

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Jankovic played 3 sets on Ashe stadium, so Caro's match won't get moved and a mens macth still playing.

I think she plays on Grandstand as scheduled, next match after mens match.

Yeah, there's less than two hours until Davenport's 7 PM match is scheduled to start on Ashe, so even if Djokovic closes out the third set quickly against Clement there isn't time for an extra match on the court.
Kendrick has also won the first two sets against Mahut on Grandstand, so let's hope he wins the match in three sets, allowing Caro a fairly early match.

SorenP
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know the rules for moving a match to another court? How late must the matches run at the Grandstand for Caro's match to be moved to Ashe?

Quote:
The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour 2008 Official Rulebook

D. SCHEDULING

7. Rescheduling of Matches

a. Under extenuating circumstances, a match may be rescheduled at the discretion of the Supervisor, in consultation with the Tournament Director.

9. Changing Courts/Surface (page 94-95)

If it is deemed necessary to move a match, the Supervisor, in consultation with the Tournament Director, has the authority to delay the start of the match or to move a match to another court, indoors or outdoors, regardless of surface. The Referee, in consultation with the Supervisor, may decide if a match shall be moved to another court if circumstances so require.

During the course of a match, if conditions or circumstances merit, players may be required by the Supervisor or Referee to move to another court.

-------------
A little digging and the above was found. As I read it, the match can't be resceduled unless there is a very good reason, but the court can be changed for almost any reason...

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Soren.

Damn, Kendrick lost third set.

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Kendrick has won. Caro is up next.

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
4-0 Caro and Camerin hasn't even had a game point yet!

C. W. Fields
Aug 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
6-1 Caro in 25 minutes :worship:

C. W. Fields
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Caro wins 1 & 2 :)
Easy victory, so easy it's almost difficult to gauge her strength.
Her 1st serve worked a little better than in the first match (68%), but it's slightly worrisome that she loses more than half the points on 2nd serve. Positive that she wins 11 of 15 net approaches.

Her opponent will be Azarenka as expected, who beat Benesova 2 & 3. A very interesting match up between two of the world's best teenagers meeting for the first time. Both have had easy wins so far; Caro has dropped only 6 games, Azarenka 8. Azarenka is #14 and Caro #18, the highest ranking in their career for both.
Hard court seems to be the favorite surface for both players: Caro, as we know, winning two tournaments this year. Azarenka reaching the final at Gold Coast and SF at Montreal, losing three setters against Li and Safina.
It's a hard match to gauge, but Caro is a 60-40 favorite in my eyes. I expect a much closer match than either of them have had in the first two rounds.

Edit: One reason why I consider Caro a slight favorite is that Azarenka hasn't been very impressive this year against tough opponents. She has only beaten three top 20 players; Chakvetadze, Peer and Schiavone, neither of the three having stellar years.

Caro says about the upcoming match: "We have known each other all the way up through the juniors, trained much together and are good friends off the court. Now we face each other for the first time as seniors, and it will be a really hard match. There will be no friendly gifts here".

Dinayer
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Caro :banana:

excellent match!

Go Caro :yeah:

Protoss
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Good job Caro. :)

The match vs Azarenka will probably be a slam quarterfinal in the not too distant future.

Alex72
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I hate it when my favs play each other, but believe Caro will likely prevail as she should be carrying more confidence at the moment. I hope for a good match though, and most of all hope that it is on TV.

Bitmap
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Sådan Caroline,

Giv den gas i 3 rd!!!

du tager JJ nemt i 4 runde:worship:

C. W. Fields
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Caro will be playing 1R of both her doubles today, match 3 and 5 on Court 9.

C. W. Fields
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Two updates on her TV2 blog, Google translated (and slightly corrected):

August 28
Large support in New Haven

Hello all,
I have not had written the last few days, because I have been very busy, a lot of things.

But I would like to write about New Haven, where I won my second tournament in just 3 weeks. I would not write so much about the matches, you have probably read a lot about it in the newspapers, but little about the atmosphere on and off the field. Largest part of the audience when we played the final, was with me, it felt almost like to play in Copenhagen. After the match, I had a lot of interviews with the American media, both TV and newspapers.

After I was done with the press, we went back to the hotel where we packed our things and went directly to New York by car, where I should have a photoshoot with Adidas. They could not postpone the photoshootet for another day, it had something to do with both the studio and those who had to work. First, I was made up, and then was taken pictures and made a short film. It took about 3 hours to do it all. The images will be used for next year's collections, where they will use me as one of the "main attractions", so it is very cool. So, as you can read, I had not much time to enjoy the victory, and when I was finished with it all, was about 12 o'clock in the evening.

The next morning we took off for the U.S. Open's facilities. There I was told that I was to play Monday. I was not very happy, because I would have only 1 day break between competitions, but there was not so much I could do. It was decided the top half began Tuesday and the lower half of the draw was to play Monday.

Sunday I spent just to relax. I trained only 45 minutes, and so was I massaged and had my nails done :)

Finally I would just say one thousand thanks for the support from you all. It's super cool to hear that so many people support me!

Best regards
Caroline

-------------------------------------

August 28
The tactics succeeded

Hello again all,

This blog I write in my second match of the U.S. Open. As you probably know by now I won my first match against Asha Rolle from the United States 6-2 6-1.

I was a little nervous when I went into the match, because I knew that she could be a difficult opponent, because she can serve very well and have a good forhand. Therefore I went very seriously and 100% concentrated into the match. She was in the 3 round over here last year, where she, among other things, beat Golovin of France, who is also a very good player. I won the match 6-2 6-1, and it was not so hard a match as I had feared. My tactics were to keep her on the backhand side, and she began to make relatively many errors. The rest of Monday I spent just to relax and get a little massage.

Tuesday morning I played with some children here from the United States. We were a few players, who took our time. The players were: Davydenko, Mike and Bob Bryan, John Isner and others. I did this voluntarily, since I can remember when I was small and was allowed to play with some of the big stars, like playing with Venus Williams in Copenhagen.

Today, Wednesday, I played my 2. - round match against Camerin of Italy. I joined on the court at 18.30 our time, ie. 12.30 at night with you. I played at the Grand Stand, which is the third biggest court. My tactics in this match was to play aggressively, not to stay back because I knew that she is one who runs well and plays many balls back.

The tactics succeeded for me, and it could also be seen in the outcome. I won 6-1 6-2. Today there was also some special guests who came to see me play. In particular, Franz Nielsen, whio is one of our icehockey players, who plays and lives here in New York now.
Now that I write this blog it's really late, so I will quit the blog now.

Best regards
Caroline

Destiny
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
:inlove: Caro Can :woohoo:

Protoss
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Caro must be doing something right as she seems to have gotten a few people on general messages to dislike her a good bit. :p

kinseh
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Nice to see Caro doing some volunteering and playing with kids! :D

And nice and comfortable win yesterday. I think her chances against Vika are very good. :yeah:

kinseh
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Caro must be doing something right as she seems to have gotten a few people on general messages to dislike her a good bit. :p

When a player starts doing well, she gets haters - we saw that when Ivanovic won RG. :lol:

sunsfuns
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
When a player starts doing well, she gets haters - we saw that when Ivanovic won RG. :lol:

Yeah, only losers are (occasionally) liked by everyone...

rcirani
Aug 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM

She's pretty, she's a nice person and she plays nice tennis. I'm amazed it's taken this long for people on there to hate her, that usually seems to be the three things that most make them hate players.:p

Good luck against Azarenka. :)

Protoss
Aug 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Caro handles Azarenka's 1st strike game. That's a type of game Caro has struggled with this year.

Carofan
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Interview after second round:

By: Richard Pagliaro, Tennis Week

Caroline Wozniacki leaned to her left, rushed to her right and spun around for a high ball suddenly bounding back from behind her head.

The 18-year-old from Copenhagen, Denmark handled every ball with a grin and a swift swipe of her right hand.

All that activity came after the 21st-seeded Wozniacki dismantled Maria Elena Camerin, 6-1, 6-2, on the Grandstand court to roar into the third round of the U.S. Open.

Wozniacki arrived in New York playing the best tennis of her career. Just three weeks after she became the first Danish woman to win a WTA Tour title with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Vera Dushevina in Stockholm, the blonde baseliner defeated 2007 US Open semifinalist Anna Chakvetadze to reach a career-high rank of No. 18. The results have sent her confidence soaring.

"I've had a good couple of weeks," Wozniacki said while wearing the perpetual smile of one thoroughly enjoying her position. "I've won two tournaments in three weeks, I've won my two first two rounds here. I feel good. I feel comfortable. I was a bit tired going into this tournament, but I'm feeling much better. We'll see how far it goes."

Victoria Azarenka, who partnered Max Mirnyi to win the US Open mixed doubles title last year and has been good friends with Wozniacki since their junior days, stands between Wozniacki and her second major fourth round appearance. It will be the first professional meeting between the pair.

"Now, I'm in the top 20 for the irst time and I feel like I'm playing well. There's always things you can improve," said Wozniacki, who lost to Ana Ivanovic in the fourth round of the Australian Open. "I am feeling really good and I feel like it's been a good year for me. I don't have anything to lose. Azarenka is a good friend of mine; we've known each other forever it's going to be a tough match she's a tough opponent, but I will do my best. Off the court, we're good friends and on the court we will be opponents, both of us trying to do the best we can."

She is the only Danish woman ranked inside the top 400, but Wozniacki said carrying the tennis flag for her nation does not pose any added pressure.

"Tennis is a individual sport it's a lot about you and it's about how disciplined you are and who you surround yourself with so I don't think it matters what country you're from," Wozniacki said. "Of course there's more attention on me because I'm the only one in Denmark that high. If I was Russian I'd be just one of many. Definitely I think it's a positive thing that I'm the only one - there's more attention on me and it feels good to try to be a role model for younger kids. Actually I can't say there's more pressure because I am almost never in Denmark first of all and second of all I really don't read the newspapers. I only look at the pictures and say this is good, I can accept this, this is bad (laughs). that way I am keeping the pressure away from me as well. But of course I know people are expecting me to win, but I think that's a positive thing because people realize I can play good tennis."

C. W. Fields
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Caro's doubles match just started.

SOA_MC
Aug 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Caroline and Marta win first set 6-1:cool:

SOA_MC
Aug 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Caroline and Marta def Muller/Bammer 6-1 6-4:rocker:

Derek.
Aug 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It should be really interesting against Azarenka.
Vika's ranked a little bit higher, but she's a little bit older too.

Hopefully Caro comes out on top, but it's going to be a tough match as Azarenka has been pretty consistent this year.

Alex_Ranger
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I've only just noticed that Caro's playing singles, doubles and mixed doubles. Obviously it's a good opportunity to get more tennis under her belt and improve on certain areas (volleying, etc), but I hope she doesn't burn herself out and hinder the opportunity of a really deep singles run at the USO.

C. W. Fields
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Caro and Matkowski won 0 & 4. That girl only seems to know how to win!

sunsfuns
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Caro won two matches today? Not sure if it's good to play so much, but at least it guarantees that she will be around Saturday and I will be able to watch her for at least a little bit... :bounce:

Hoping of course that she is still around in singles as well, but it will be difficult. From a neutral point of view Vika is probably a slight favorite...

Dinayer
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Good luck tomorrow caro :D

nice win in doubles :D

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Why are Caro's average serve speeds are lot lower than usual? In her 1st 2 matches at this year's US Open, she's averaged 93 and 94 miles per hour on her 1st serve and 73 and 75 mph on her 2nd serve.

In her 3 matches at this year's French Open and her match against Jankovic at Wimbledon (Wimbledon's website didn't give serve speeds for her other matches), she averaged 104, 102, 102, and 103 miles per hour respectively on her 1st serve. On her 2nd serve she averaged 82, 78, 87, and 82 mph respectively.

C. W. Fields
Aug 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Friday preview: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2560

In a keenly anticipated battle of phenoms, Victoria Azarenka, winner of the US Open girls' crown in 2005, takes on Caroline Wozniacki.

Grandstand
(14) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs. (21) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) - First meeting
Azarenka and Wozniacki are among six teens currently ranked in the Top 20 and seemingly destined for the Top 10. Of course, Agnieszka Radwanska has cracked it already, but on current form it can't be long before she is joined by these two. Azarenka, at 19 a year older than her Danish opponent, boasts an explosive, fast-paced game that shifted gears when she reached her first Tier I semi at Berlin in May; Wozniacki, not short on power herself, has demonstrated she is also of the right mental stuff with titles at Stockholm and New Haven. Whether or not her summer has actually been better than the Belarusian's is hard to say, though, for Azarenka's best results have been in tougher draws, with losses to Dinara Safina at both Los Angeles and Montréal and Venus Williams at the Olympics. In any case, today's winner faces Jankovic or Zheng in the last 16 - which means the draw has opportunity written all over it.

C. W. Fields
Aug 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
So, the match before Caro's finished...

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I was watching USA's coverage of the Jankovic/Zheng match earlier and Tracy Austin said that she thinks both Caro and Azarenka will be in the top 5 in the future.

yukon145
Aug 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
please does anyone have a live stream for the match?

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Alas once again Caro's match starts after Direct Tv stops covering the grandstand court. :(

tonyb
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
There Is A Live stream at https://www.bwin.com

But It Costs A Small Amount

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Caro leads 4-1 1st set. Azarenka serving.

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Caro broken for 4-3 1st set. Caro has faced bps in 3 of her 4 service games. :rolleyes:

C. W. Fields
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
First set Caro 6-4 :)
Her defense is better than Azarenka's offense so far.

C. W. Fields
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Rain delay.

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Caro 10 winners in the 1st set to Azarenka's 16.

Caro only 3 winners in the 2nd set at 2-2 to Azarenka's 13 though. :rolleyes:

Dinayer
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Go Caro :D

Dinayer
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
break her!
:)

you can win this caro :D

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Argh...Azarenka holds for 4-4 2nd set as Caro fails to convert a bp. Hold Caro.

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Caro holds for 5-4 2nd set. Break for the match Caro.

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Argh...Caro was up 30-0 on Azarenka's serve, now 30-30. Break Caro.

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Match point for Caro. Take it Caro.

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Yay!!!! Caro breaks for 6-4 2nd set. :) Great job Caro. :)

yukon145
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
yes she did! good luck in the 4th round Caro!

Dinayer
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
excellent caro!

:D

:banana:

Derek.
Aug 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
That's a really good win, Caro! :banana:

Well done! :yeah:

Good luck in the next round! :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
She did it, 4 & 4 :)
I must say I was surprised at Caro's game strategy. Beforehand I had thought she'd try to disturb Azarenka's offense by being offensive herself. But apparently she and dad had decided on a baseline strategy, believing her to have the safer groundstrokes. She was just to keep the ball going; Azarenka would be the first to make an error, either on a groundstroke or forcing an attack. And even if her attack was good, Caro's defense should be up to the task.
The outcome of the match proved them right. More than half the points Caro won were on UEs from Azarenka. It was pretty chilling to watch, though. Caro's groundstrokes were often far too 'safe' for my liking, landing near the service line. And how far behind the baseline Caro was much of the time was apparent in how many dropshots Azarenka attempted, often with luck. But I guess a winning strategy is always a good strategy! ;)
And it's positive how Caro had only 14 UEs in the match, especially compared to Azarenka's 47. Azarenka had almost twice as many winners, 36 to 19, but it wasn't enough to compensate for the UE disparity. Caro's 1st serve was about the same as the prior match, just below 70%. Her average 1st serve speed was 95 mph.

Next up is jankovic!

Protoss
Aug 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
She did it, 4 & 4 :)
I must say I was surprised at Caro's game strategy. Beforehand I had thought she'd try to disturb Azarenka's offense by being offensive herself. But apparently she and dad had decided on a baseline strategy, believing her to have the safer groundstrokes. She was just to keep the ball going; Azarenka would be the first to make an error, either on a groundstroke or forcing an attack. And even if her attack was good, Caro's defense should be up to the task.
The outcome of the match proved them right. More than half the points Caro won were on UEs from Azarenka. It was pretty chilling to watch, though. Caro's groundstrokes were often far too 'safe' for my liking, landing near the service line. And how far behind the baseline Caro was much of the time was apparent in how many dropshots Azarenka attempted, often with luck. But I guess a winning strategy is always a good strategy! ;)
And it's positive how Caro had only 14 UEs in the match, especially compared to Azarenka's 47. Azarenka had almost twice as many winners, 36 to 19, but it wasn't enough to compensate for the UE disparity. Caro's 1st serve was about the same as the prior match, just below 70%. Her average 1st serve speed was 95 mph.

Next up is jankovic!
Thanks for the match report. :) Caro hasn't yet been on US tv because the matches started too late on the grandstand.

It's dissapointing to hear that she took a defensive approach and played far behind the baseline.

I can't see her beating Jankovic by playing defensively and her shots being short. I don't think any active player can out-defend her. Despite her defensive nature, I think Jankovic will move in off the baseline and take advantage of Caro's shots lacking depth.

Who'd have thought Caro would be in the 2nd week of 2 slams when the year began? :)

SOA_MC
Aug 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Congrats Caroline:bounce: I couldn't get on my computer during the match so I don't know how the match went but it's good to log on now and see she won:yeah:

Derek.
Aug 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Not exactly how I like Caro to win a match, but a win is a win.
She'll have to be much more aggressive if she wants to beat Jankovic.

C. W. Fields
Aug 30th, 2008, 04:53 AM
For the first time there's a match report on a Caro win at the official USO site. He calls it a "second round" meeting and thinks Caro reached the QF at AO, but otherwise it's quite interesting to read. He's obviously not crazy about defensive tennis.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2008-08-29/200808291220051466772.html

Wozniacki Wins Battle of Rising Teen Stars
By Neil Schlecht
Friday, August 29, 2008

In a second-round Grandstand matchup between two blonde, rising teenage stars on the women’s tour, the steadier Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark frustrated her flashy but petulant opponent Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, pulling off the minor upset, 6-4, 6-4.

Azarenka, who lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., is the higher-ranked player at No. 14, but her emotions appeared to get the best of her against the scrappy and level Wozniacki. The Dane, the 21st seed, entered the US Open on a bit of a roll, having won her second WTA title last week at the final warm-up of the US Open Series in New Haven.

The lanky Azarenka, 19, has a forceful ground game, often elevating to strike the ball off both sides with long, flat strokes, and the match appeared to be largely on her racquet. Wozniacki is a bit of a grinder, less offensive-minded but effective in getting plenty of balls back and forcing her opponent to beat her – or beat herself.

The tactic worked against the Belarussian, the more talented but also more temperamental of the two. Azarenka grimaced, bellowed, looked up pleadingly at her mother in the stands and bounced her racquet in anguish throughout the match.

In the first set, the 18-year-old Dane – whose parents were both pro athletes in Poland before immigrating to Denmark – was getting pushed around the court in the early going. Yet she hung in and saw her more impatient opponent begin to rack up errors. Azarenka experienced a bit of a meltdown on her serve at 4-5 and donated the first set with three consecutive errors.

The second set followed a similar pattern, except that it was interrupted by a brief late-afternoon rain shower. An increasingly perturbed Azarenka continued to produce a rash of errors – she struck 47 in the match – and again serving at 4-5, failed to hold.

Wozniacki will have to pull off a much bigger upset if she wishes to advance to her second career quarterfinal in a major (earlier this year she reached the quarters at the Australian Open). She faces the second seed, Jelena Jankovic, in the fourth round.

C. W. Fields
Aug 30th, 2008, 06:54 AM
It's dissapointing to hear that she took a defensive approach and played far behind the baseline.

I can't see her beating Jankovic by playing defense and her shots being short. I don't think any active player can out-defend her. Despite her defensive nature, I think Jankovic will move in off the baseline and take advantage of Caro's shots lacking depth.

Yes, Arvidsson also wrote after their 2R match that JJ's defense is probably the best in the women's game today. I'm not sure a Caro offensive is the way to go, though. Sure, she should move to the net if the opportunity presents itself, but if she tries to play agressive throughout, I think Caro's UEs and JJs defensive winners will clearly outnumber Caro's offensive winners.
So, I still think a baseline game is the best way to go for Caro. Not because I think she can out-defend JJ, but because she can outrun her. JJ's stamina is probably her biggest weakness right now. She has been suffering from different ailments this year (what else is new!?) and hasn't been too active since Wimbledon, so her ground form is probably still lacking a bit.
If Caro can keep the first set going for at least an hour and hang on in the first half of the second set, then I think JJ will start to run out of steam as they near the two hour mark. Hopefully Caro will have the cool to snatch a tight second set and simply outrun her in the third. I think the result could well end up either being much like Zheng's, a 5-7, 5-7 defeat for Caro, or a 5-7, 7-6, 6-3 win. It probably won't be the most exciting tennis the world has ever seen with many long baseline exchanges, but when you face a world class opponent you must play the way which offers you the best chance of winning, not the way that's most fun to watch.
If JJ sees through Caro's game plan and doesn't like it, then she may be forced to go to the net more often than she's comfortable with, and then we'll see what Caro's passing shots are worth. But as you mentioned, Protoss, Caro's groundstrokes mustn't be short. If she allows JJ to step into the court and end the points quickly with her power shots, she won't be worn down enough. Equally important; JJ beat Zheng by breaking her serve 8 times, so Caro's 1st serve needs to be up to speed, preferably above 70%. But on the same note: JJ's serve was anything but impressive in that match; 53% on 1st serve, 8 DFs and 6 breaks. If it's equally uneven against Caro, she must take advantage of it.

Side note 1: The game will no doubt be played on either Ashe or Armstrong with Hawkeye watching. Both Caro and Azarenka clearly wanted to challenge calls on more than one occasion. I hope more than just the two main courts will have instant replay in the future.

Side note 2: Caro will only play doubles today, third match on court 10. I suppose her mixed match will be played tomorrow, assumably after the JJ match.

Side note 3: All Caro's GS losses this year have been against Serbs. Time to break that habbit!

Side note 4: Bartoli beat Davenport and will confront Bammer in 4R. If she wins that match she will face the winner of Caro vs. JJ. I wonder which of them Bartoli would prefer!? ;)

Side note 5: If Caro can beat JJ she would be a clear favorite in the QF, no matter which of the Ba.'s she will be up against. Imagine that, Caro the favorite to reach a GS SF! :eek:

rcirani
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM

It was a good strategy against Azarenka though, and she made Vika do a heck of a lot of running. Those misses of Azarenka's may be called unforced errors but they were actually forced by the way Caro was playing. The winners count is also always a bit of a lie, Caro hit plenty, but they aren't counted on the winners count because she didn't actually win the point there with them.

Well played Caro, great performance! :)

Destiny
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Well done Caro

But you can't play defence against the defence QUEEN JJ

She needs to think of something else

Droolv
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM
:woohoo:

Nice win Caro :cool: Now beat JJ :armed:

tonyb
Aug 30th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Nice post C.W.Fields.
Well written informative opinion piece.
Not forgeting, on a Caroline Wozniacki thread, not including long large lists and/or 3-4 large photos of other tennis players.

I would also like to thank all the people who have posted links to live streams and videos.
This has enabled me to follow CW's games in the last month closer than live score.
Wonderful to follow her run of success, and see how her game has inproved since January.

I think it will be close game on Sunday against JJ.
Of course I hope (fingers and everything else crossed) that CW wins.

C. W. Fields
Aug 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Side note 6: Jankovic was supposed to play mixed doubles, but she has pulled out without playing. I guess that says something about her not feeling 100% fit. I hope Caro isn't squandering her physical advantage by playing both doubles and mixed.

jasminefu623
Aug 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
anyone record caro's third round match??

sharapovarulz1
Aug 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Great win Caro, take Jelena down now :D

Dodoboy.
Aug 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
This was a great win :)

Good luck with Jelena :)

kinseh
Aug 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Nice win yesterday. I think it's good to see that Caro is able to change her game plan; players always say "I will play my game and not focus on her game", but you've got to focus on your opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

I think she has a good chance against Jelena. She's got to give it all she has. Good luck, Caro!! :)

Yes, Arvidsson also wrote after their 2R match that JJ's defense is probably the best in the women's game today. I'm not sure a Caro offensive is the way to go, though. Sure, she should move to the net if the opportunity presents itself, but if she tries to play agressive throughout, I think Caro's UEs and JJs defensive winners will clearly outnumber Caro's offensive winners.
So, I still think a baseline game is the best way to go for Caro. Not because I think she can out-defend JJ, but because she can outrun her. JJ's stamina is probably her biggest weakness right now. She has been suffering from different ailments this year (what else is new!?) and hasn't been too active since Wimbledon, so her ground form is probably still lacking a bit.
If Caro can keep the first set going for at least an hour and hang on in the first half of the second set, then I think JJ will start to run out of steam as they near the two hour mark. Hopefully Caro will have the cool to snatch a tight second set and simply outrun her in the third. I think the result could well end up either being much like Zheng's, a 5-7, 5-7 defeat for Caro, or a 5-7, 7-6, 6-3 win. It probably won't be the most exciting tennis the world has ever seen with many long baseline exchanges, but when you face a world class opponent you must play the way which offers you the best chance of winning, not the way that's most fun to watch.
If JJ sees through Caro's game plan and doesn't like it, then she may be forced to go to the net more often than she's comfortable with, and then we'll see what Caro's passing shots are worth. But as you mentioned, Protoss, Caro's groundstrokes mustn't be short. If she allows JJ to step into the court and end the points quickly with her power shots, she won't be worn down enough. Equally important; JJ beat Zheng by breaking her serve 8 times, so Caro's 1st serve needs to be up to speed, preferably above 70%. But on the same note: JJ's serve was anything but impressive in that match; 53% on 1st serve, 8 DFs and 6 breaks. If it's equally uneven against Caro, she must take advantage of it.

Side note 1: The game will no doubt be played on either Ashe or Armstrong with Hawkeye watching. Both Caro and Azarenka clearly wanted to challenge calls on more than one occasion. I hope more than just the two main courts will have instant replay in the future.

Side note 2: Caro will only play doubles today, third match on court 10. I suppose her mixed match will be played tomorrow, assumably after the JJ match.

Side note 3: All Caro's GS losses this year have been against Serbs. Time to break that habbit!

Side note 4: Bartoli beat Davenport and will confront Bammer in 4R. If she wins that match she will face the winner of Caro vs. JJ. I wonder which of them Bartoli would prefer!? ;)

Side note 5: If Caro can beat JJ she would be a clear favorite in the QF, no matter which of the Ba.'s she will be up against. Imagine that, Caro the favorite to reach a GS SF! :eek:

That's a pretty nice sum-up of what Caro has to do against Jelena. Good-rep for that post. ;)

Protoss
Aug 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
This whole outlast strategy seems pretty questionable to me. Jankovic seemed to be defending pretty well at the end of both her match against Arvidsson and Zheng.

So if Jankovic isn't all worn down, then it pretty much becomes a contest of who defends better in which case Caro will almost certainly come out 2nd best. :(

KatChr
Aug 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I do think that Caro has a change against JJ. JJ hasent been playing well the last couple of tournaments! The reason why she won the second set against Zheng was mainly due to the fact that Zheng wasted 3 breakpoints by returning into the net! Giizz...

I cannot see Caro make the same mistake is she gets the chance!! By the way I dont think that the match report of Azarenka-Wozniacki was that nice. Is Azarenka the more talented player of the two? When was this decided. Yes she hits the ball flatter and harder - but since when has that been a direct sign of talent? Look at Hingis !!!

Protoss
Aug 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Caro has been broken all 4 times she's served in her doubles match today. I hope this isn't a sign of the state of Caro's serve for tomorrow.

Protoss
Aug 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Caro/Marta lost 6-2 6-3 to AMG/Ruano Pascual. Caro was broken all 5 times she served. :rolleyes:

C. W. Fields
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
This whole outlast strategy seems pretty questionable to me. Jankovic seemed to be defending pretty well at the end of both her match against Arvidsson and Zheng.

So if Jankovic isn't all worn down, then it pretty much becomes a contest of who defends better in which case Caro will almost certainly come out 2nd best. :(

I think a reason why Sofia couldn't put away JJ in the third set was because they were equally tired, but don't you think caro is in better shape than either of them?
Still, the outlast strategy is just my idea of Caro's best chance, and I was completely wrong in my guess for her Azarenka strategy. Maybe she and Piotr will come up with something unexpected against JJ also.

What strategy would you suggest?

tonyb
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Much as I would like CW to win against JJ, I will have to wait to tommorrow and see.
Against Azarenka, which ever way you look at it, 6:4 6:4 is a winner.:devil::devil::devil:
Tommorrow is another day, and who knows what strategy CW and her Dad will cook up.
There is a chance that it might be the right one, she has won 15 her last 16 matches.

C. W. Fields
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Caro and JJ will be playing first match On Ashe tomorrow 11 AM. That's 5 PM for us Danes. Nice with a Caro match we don't have to sacrifice our sleep to watch.

Protoss
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:08 AM
I think a reason why Sofia couldn't put away JJ in the third set was because they were equally tired, but don't you think caro is in better shape than either of them?
Still, the outlast strategy is just my idea of Caro's best chance, and I was completely wrong in my guess for her Azarenka strategy. Maybe she and Piotr will come up with something unexpected against JJ also.

What strategy would you suggest?
I dunno. It's hard to say much Caro has in the tank. She's played a lot of tournaments and a lot of matches this summer including both singles, doubles, and mixed at the US Open.

I'd prefer a more offensive strategy. A defensive strategy seems almost certain not to work unless Jankovic does indeed get worn out and Caro doesn't. I wish I knew how Chaky played Jankovic. That might be a good strategy seeing as Chaky was 6-2 against Jankovic prior to this year (she was playing a more thoughtful game which seems closer to Caro's game than the ballbashing game that she now plays).

I guess my idea would to be serve well, step inside the baseline when possible, and attack Jankovic's 2nd serve. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Protoss
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:16 AM
Here's Matt Cronin's analysis of the match over at the US Open website:

2-JELENA JANKOVIC. V. 21-CAROLINE WOZNIACKI

If you thought that Jankovic was tested in her last two matches against Arvidsson and Zheng, stare deeply into this match because Wozniacki stayed with her for nearly all of three sets at Wimbledon and, since that time, has moved closer to the center of the tour map. The Danish teenager played a smart and lethal match in downing Victoria Azarenka in the last round and doesn't seem to be tiring on hardcourts, where she has won 15 out of her last 16 matches, including two titles.

She's a cheery sort with a fine all-around game, who seems to be maturing with every tournament. But that doesn't mean she'll beat JJ on a show court because, although the Serbian has been straining, that's been her modus operandi all summer long. Unlike against Zheng, she won't have to play numerous two-dozen ball rallies and will be able to go at Wozniacki quicker. It's really up to the Dane to make a bigger push on key points, but Jankovic can be opportunistic and, against younger players without a similar resume, is more adept at taking her gloves off. Wozniacki can win this match, but she's not going to do it by playing safe. She has to attack Jankovic's serve and forehand at every opportunity. She'll do it for nearly three sets, but at the end of the day, the Serbian will dig down deep once again and will her way to victory.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2008-08-30/200808301220139383171.html

C. W. Fields
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:51 AM
There seems to be an opinion that Caro must go on the offensive to beat JJ. Caro isn't a natural serve-and-volley kind of attacker, like Serena. She needs to build up an attack with more strokes. And that's the part I don't quite believe in; that Caro can hit multiple hard, deep groundstrokes near the lines on point after point, enough to either outplace one of the world's best defenders or pressure her enought for Caro to go to the net. I just don't think Caro's game has that level of consistent depth and power yet. Like I said earlier; if she tries that, I think she'll produce more errors than winners.

I'm ready to be proved wrong, though. Caro is growing, tournament by tournament, opponent by opponent. Who knows, maybe the Wozniackis decide that the best strategy is mixing offense and defense, trying to keep JJ off balance by shifting between different modes of play.

Zealisa
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:35 AM
I'm expecting a lot from Caro's match against JJ. It seems to me Jankovic is not in her best shape and on the contrary Caroline is rising in the ranks. But the thing that can be bad for Caro is that she's not a big-hitter and in a baseline game Jelena has more chances - this is her biggest weapon. But I hope that Wozniacki will find some tactic to win, maybe changing the rhythm will help.

C. W. Fields
Aug 31st, 2008, 07:50 AM
WTA Sunday preview:

Arthur Ashe
(2) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) vs. (21) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) - Jankovic leads, 1-0
Jankovic was understandably happy to survive the peril of Zheng Jie to keep her Grand Slam title hopes alive, but she will have to lift her intensity yet another notch against Wozniacki, who comes off a mild upset of Victoria Azarenka. The last time these two played, at Wimbledon this year, the Serbian world No.2 prevailed, but only in three sets. Since then, 18-year-old Wozniacki has won two tournaments on hardcourts, including New Haven, so she is bubbling with confidence and can be expected to take the fight to her more experienced foe. A convincing display today would lift Jankovic's stocks enormously ahead of a possible showdown with Dinara Safina or a Williams sister, who all lurk in the other side of the draw. But, first things first, she'll have to work hard to outfox an opponent who has both time on her side and nothing to lose.

They mention Caro's current confidence, and I think that will be an important but unmeasurable factor in the match; the confidence of a winning streak can make a player perform that extra bit that decides the outcome of a match. Caro is simply in a good place right now. She has a teenage zest for life combined with doing what she loves for a living. She hasn't experienced any real setbacks in her game this year, like serious injuries or a slump in her results. For her 2008 has been up, up, up. Until she hits a wall, the sky's the limit.

In contrast with the positive vibes oozing out of Caro's every pore, JJ seems to be in a far less positive mood, almost negative at times. Her results lately havent been bad, but not great either; she hasn't made it past SF in her last 5 tournaments. She also seems to be constantly strugling with injuries, how much of it real and how much just in her head is hard to say. Also, JJ is an 8 year veteran of the tour and more than 5 years older than Caro, which probably makes it a little harder to keep up a positive spirit all the time. She just doesn't seem to enjoy playing tennis as much as Caro does.

How big a difference this will make I can't say, but it certainly can't hurt Caro's chances.

kinseh
Aug 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Who knows, maybe the Wozniackis decide that the best strategy is mixing offense and defense, trying to keep JJ off balance by shifting between different modes of play.

That would be a good idea, actually. Caro's defense isn't better than Jelena, and she won't be able to win by only being offensive, as Jelena's defense is one of the best on the tour; a mix between defense and offense would be good.

But then again, Caro and Piotr are the ones who know what has to be done. I hope they'll make the right choice for Caro's game strategy today. :)

This one time I wanted Caro's match to be in the middle of the night for us Europeans, as I'll be playing tennis all day!! Damn it. :p

C. W. Fields
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
3-6, 2-6, 1-6.
This I really don't understand. From the moment she was broken to 2-4 in the second set it was like Caro lost her confidence and the belief that she could win the match. She didn't look injured nor particularly tired, but her body language immediately started to signal "I'm losing". It was the same impression both I and others here got at Wimbledon. Back then you might subscribe it to a youngster playing on Centre Court for the first time, but this really has me worried.
I thought Caro was very tough mentally, but this looks like a bad case of being so high strung for a very big match that she simply crumbled when things started going against her, instead of gritting her teeth and fighting her way back. I'm looking forward to hear Caro's own explanation, but right now I don't see any excuse for giving up the way she did, long before the match was actually over. Sure she's just 18, but others her age are able to cope with this kind of pressure, and if Caro doesn't learn to she will never win the really big tournaments.

Derek.
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM
She was playing pretty well until 6-3 2-2. :sad:
After Jelena broke her, Caro totally disappeared. :(

She's going to have to learn how to keep her level against top players or else she isn't going to beat them.

However, it was still a very good tournament for Caro. :D :hug:

jasminefu623
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
caro is doing well at the first set and the opening of the second set, but when jankovic break her service game at 2-4, caro had collapse, i don't know why. then in the jankovic's service game, she gave all 4 free points to jankovic, and i think she should never do this. jankovic is the one to serve first in the second set, so ever caro keep her own service game, she will still be the one behind, but caro seems to think that, she has no hope in this set. i listen to the commentator here in hk, and the man said, 'that's so funny that, she can break others game, but when the others break her, she was totally collapsed' i think he's right, caro should learn from this match, and also the match against jankovic at wimbledon, she had the same mistake, good first set, but disappear at the second and the third. she should learn to be more stable at her game

jasminefu623
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:35 PM
by the way, jankovic annoyed me, she keep on arguing with the umpire, and some of the way she is doing, i think she is actually want to affect caro, for example, the challenge at the first set, the problem of paper in the second set. o hate jankovic, since this is not what a top player should do

C. W. Fields
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:56 PM
After match interview:

Q. You got off to a great start. Something turned around then going into the second set. Can you explain, you know, the difference out there?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, I started out well. I played my own game. I played aggressive. The second set, you know, I don't know, I think I just got a bit more defensive.

You know, I felt like even though I was hitting the ball it wasn't going. I felt a bit tired. You know, Jelena, she's not No. 2 for no reason, you know.

She took advantage of that, and she came in and she was the one deciding where to play, you know.

I just didn't feel like I could overpower her today, you know, and ‑‑ I mean, I've played a lot of matches, and, I mean, she was just better than me today.

Q. And you have played a lot of matches here. More than you've played in any Grand Slam prior.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: In Australia I was in the fourth round.

Q. Of course, which segues into my question. This has been a breakthrough year for you. You come here with, you know, a win at the Pilot Pen, a couple victories this season, and have gone quite far here. Do you feel like this is sort of a breakthrough year for you?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, for sure. I've done really well this year. I've won two tournaments in three weeks. I went to the Olympics, I'm 18 in the world. Probably after this tournament I'm probably going to be higher, you, know.

For sure, I think this has been a breakthrough year. I started the year like 68 or something, I think, so for sure I've improved a lot. You know, I'm happy of the way that I've been progressing.

Q. Each Grand Slam has a very different atmosphere, a very different feel. Here, in the large stadium playing, New York City, if you could just talk about your thoughts, likes and dislikes of this particular tournament, and especially having the opportunity to play in Arthur Ashe Stadium.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I mean, I love playing on big stadiums, and especially if it's full and good atmosphere on the court. You know, I like playing here.

I mean, there's always something happening, you know, going on. It's not like quiet. Everyone is screaming and yelling. I think it's great. I think that atmosphere is great. I mean, we're in New York. Couldn't be a better place.

(Caro, you should stop saying "you know" so much, you know!?)

tonyb
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:27 PM
by the way, jankovic annoyed me, she keep on arguing with the umpire, and some of the way she is doing, i think she is actually want to affect caro, for example, the challenge at the first set, the problem of paper in the second set. o hate jankovic, since this is not what a top player should do

You forgot the splits where she looked round for the camera.
At least she was not injured today with a broken eyelash.
If there was an Oscar for WTA players, the Jankobitch would get it.

Wolfruler
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
YOU´RE DAMN RIGHT....I hate her acting performances!!! Showing such a bad sportsmanship! I kinda lost everything for JJ:sad: GO WILLIAMS, kick her out!!!!:bounce:

Sharapower8
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Next time you'll make it :hug:

kinseh
Aug 31st, 2008, 08:24 PM
:sobbing: That was just sad. She's got to learn to deal with the pressure when she plays the top players. But still, good tournament from Caro. 4th round of a GS is good.
--

After match interview:

Q. You got off to a great start. Something turned around then going into the second set. Can you explain, you know, the difference out there?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, I started out well. I played my own game. I played aggressive. The second set, you know, I don't know, I think I just got a bit more defensive.

You know, I felt like even though I was hitting the ball it wasn't going. I felt a bit tired. You know, Jelena, she's not No. 2 for no reason, you know.

She took advantage of that, and she came in and she was the one deciding where to play, you know.

I just didn't feel like I could overpower her today, you know, and ‑‑ I mean, I've played a lot of matches, and, I mean, she was just better than me today.

Q. And you have played a lot of matches here. More than you've played in any Grand Slam prior.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: In Australia I was in the fourth round.

Q. Of course, which segues into my question. This has been a breakthrough year for you. You come here with, you know, a win at the Pilot Pen, a couple victories this season, and have gone quite far here. Do you feel like this is sort of a breakthrough year for you?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, for sure. I've done really well this year. I've won two tournaments in three weeks. I went to the Olympics, I'm 18 in the world. Probably after this tournament I'm probably going to be higher, you, know.

For sure, I think this has been a breakthrough year. I started the year like 68 or something, I think, so for sure I've improved a lot. You know, I'm happy of the way that I've been progressing.

Q. Each Grand Slam has a very different atmosphere, a very different feel. Here, in the large stadium playing, New York City, if you could just talk about your thoughts, likes and dislikes of this particular tournament, and especially having the opportunity to play in Arthur Ashe Stadium.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I mean, I love playing on big stadiums, and especially if it's full and good atmosphere on the court. You know, I like playing here.

I mean, there's always something happening, you know, going on. It's not like quiet. Everyone is screaming and yelling. I think it's great. I think that atmosphere is great. I mean, we're in New York. Couldn't be a better place.

(Caro, you should stop saying "you know" so much, you know!?)

That's the first time I've seen a post-match interview with Caro on the website of a GS tournament. :lol: I hate it when players say "you know", but I do it all the time myself when I speak English! Kim(my all time favourite) did it all the time, so I'm kinda used to it. :p

YOU´RE DAMN RIGHT....I hate her acting performances!!! Showing such a bad sportsmanship! I kinda lost everything for JJ:sad: GO WILLIAMS, kick her out!!!!:bounce:

Jelena is a drama queen, and I love her for it! Girls like her make the tour worth following. :lol:

tonyb
Aug 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Jelena is a drama queen, and I love her for it! Girls like her make the tour worth following. :lol:

I disagree very much.
What makes following the tour worth while is very very good tennis.
None of the past great players were petty drama queens or photo models.
Thats part of why I like CW as a player, she will not take part in bikini photo shoots and is a good sportswomen.
Some temperament but not drama.

Zealisa
Sep 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
I've expected a lot from this match, but Caro simply didn't live to the expectations. It seems to me, she thought too much about a chance of reaching quarters and was mentally very weak :sad: And also physically Jelena was much better, especially in the 3rd set. Of course, Caroline is still only 18 and she has a lot of time to learn. I hope, this loss will be a positive experience for her and next time she'll show her best tennis :)

C. W. Fields
Sep 1st, 2008, 07:04 AM
Caro must have withdrawn from mixed without us hearing about it, because the opponents she was supposed to be playing in 2R are scheduled to play QF today.

Besides from JJ changing her game, it seems that the closest thing to an explanation for Caro's poor performance in the last half of the match is tiredness. If Caro gets tired after 1½ set of a 4R match, in a tournament where she'd had a pretty easy program for the first three matches, then it really was a bad idea for her to play both doubles and mixed on top of her tough pre-USO program, like I feared. I really don't understand why Caro and Piotr decided it would be good for a tired girl to play so much extra! ?

Dodoboy.
Sep 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
She needs to find a way to rest properly before the Grand Slams. Maybe she shouldn't have played New Haven, but i can't complain with a title.

I blame the tour :sobbing:

SOA_MC
Sep 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM
So what's the next tournament for Caroline?

Jorn
Sep 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Next tourny: Toray PPO tennis, Tier I in Tokyo (Starts in 2 weeks time, so she can be rested)

C. W. Fields
Sep 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Blog, translated:

Goodbye to U.S. Open

Hello everyone,

Today is Sunday, and the clock is 20.04, and I have just come back to the hotel, after I have eaten dinner at a super Japanese restaurant, Nippon, which is very popular among all the players. The restaurant is in Manhattan.

I am writing the blog now, after I have eaten, and a few hours after my match against Jankovic. But it took me just a few hours after I had lost the battle before I could write this blog.

As you know, I played against Jankovic. I do not know if you had the opportunity to see the match on TV, but I lost 6-3, 2-6, 1-6. And here is what I've come to realise I lack for me to win the U.S. Open.

Before the match, I had a tactic that I would control the game and play counter when I had the opportunity. I would not make too many wild punches. I had to make her try to win. The tactics went well in the first set and I felt myself well on the court, and noted that the tactic paid off. When I went into the second set, and when I lost the game to 3-2, it was a turning point in the match. My father and a trainer from Adidas, who was in the box, shouted up from the "players box" that I had to play more aggressively and step into the court, but I thought that what I had done in the first set and won with, would be enough to pull the match home. But now, I know that you certainly see the match in a different way from the outside, and that experience I have now. It does not mean that I win all matches from now on, but now I know at least what I could have done better.

But it must also be said that Jankovic is a very good player and she is not number 2 for nothing. She was better than me today, and she changed her tactics and it paid off. I wish her every success and happiness in the rest of the tournament. I hope she can pull a tournament win home.

Right now I do not know how long I will be here in New York, but Monday I will certainly have a day off and go out and shop and get some good massage :-) It will be nice.

Thank you for all the support and endorsement! And thank you because you follow me and wish me well! Thank you!

The best greetings from here
Caroline

yukon145
Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
great US Open for Caro, she should be very proud of herself.

rest up Caro and get ready for the Pan Pacific in a few weeks!

sunsfuns
Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
I disagree very much.
What makes following the tour worth while is very very good tennis.
None of the past great players were petty drama queens or photo models.
Thats part of why I like CW as a player, she will not take part in bikini photo shoots and is a good sportswomen.
Some temperament but not drama.

How do you know? ;)

I have seen pictures of Graf and Seles in bikini... Certain other top players just weren't pretty enough :tape:

sunsfuns
Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
I was at Caro's last match and it was really weird - Jankovic played at about the same level the entire match, but Caro just disappeared in the middle of the second set. First set was 11-11 in winners/errors (9-11 for Jelena) and the second just 2-9 and it looked worse than that. Disappointing, but she will have many more chances...

Caro has improved tremendously this year, but there is still a lot of work to do...

tonyb
Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
How do you know? ;)

I have seen pictures of Graf and Seles in bikini... Certain other top players just weren't pretty enough :tape:

Well I don't know about all tennis aces. The bikini bit was shorthand not the point.
I did not write a good post. I should not have written that about past stars as a generality.

My point/thoughts were about focusing on the sport and not on the peripherals ( modelling etc) and they taking the focus and energy away from the players game, and recently I have been irritated by some of the players on court behaviour.

Of course womens tennis gets additional exposure/promotion because they are women, just as beach volley and volley ball gets coverage because they show some xxxx, but for me I watch a CW match just as I watch a Rafael Nadal match for the tennis not for the leg.
Not that I don't like looking at womens anatomy, I do!!!:drool:
Of course there is a certain amount of show and/or gamesmanship on court.
Being happy about winning an important point and pumping fist whatever is one thing, but sometimes some players do it at every point.This and other behaviour gets to a point where its too much for me.

In contrast I like following CW because she has promise, develops it, has a good fighter attitude, comes over as a nice natural personality ETC ETC
She is easy on the eye and knows it but dosn't play on it.
I cannot remember the interview that I read, to give as reference, but in this interview CW said that she had been approached by M a danish mans mag to do a glam photo shoot, bikini whatever, and she said no.
She shows temprament on court but within reason. No crying, no dramas, no distracting shit.

Anyway this has gotten very loong, but I wanted to try and explain, and it dosn't fill more than signature photos/lists.

C. W. Fields
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Pennetta and Safina will be playing today. I hope Safina will win, otherwise Pennetta will pass Caro on the race list. Just by reaching the QF she will edge past Caro on the rankings list, so I think Caro will advance only one spot come Monday (passing Cornet and Szavay).
It looks like Jankovic-Dementieva and Williams-Safina in the SFs. Despite the all the upsets, the favorites still prevail in the end. Who do we cheer for? Jankovic, because it will make Caro's loss look better to be knocked out by the champion, like at the Olympics?

sunsfuns
Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Who do we cheer for? Jankovic, because it will make Caro's loss look better to be knocked out by the champion, like at the Olympics?

Don't know about the rest of you, but I will cheer for Elena :D

P.S. Flavia has a lot of points to defend till the end of the season.

C. W. Fields
Sep 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Don't know about the rest of you, but I will cheer for Elena :D

Sorry, but Jelena was better than Elena today. If JJ wins the final tomorrow it will be the fifth tournament in a row where Caro either loses against the champion or becomes the champion herself.

Protoss
Sep 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Sorry, but Jelena was better than Elena today. If JJ wins the final tomorrow it will be the fifth tournament in a row where Caro either loses against the champion or becomes the champion herself.
Cuz pushing the ball makes her better. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of players imploding against the drama queen. :rolleyes:

tonyb
Sep 6th, 2008, 05:18 AM
The Jankobitch played well yesterday trying for and getting many difficult balls, with less than normal postering. Very focused
The slow start against Dementieva only lasted aa few games.
At least CW got a set.

C. W. Fields
Sep 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Latest blog, Google translated:

My meeting with Agassi and Nasdaq-stock exchange

Hello everyone,

Today, I will write a little about the last days in New York.

After I had lost the U.S. Open against Jankovic, we were a few days in New York when I was invited to close the Nasdaq-stock exchange.

Until Thursday I trained only once a day, because I was completely smashed after all the matches I had played in recent times.

My spare time I used to have a massage, relax and shop:)
In the evening we ate at some restaurants with some of our friends who had come by on the visit. So it was super nice.

Thursdays, I was also invited to an event with Andre Agassi. The whole event was about him being engaged in charity and has built a school for children who would normally not be allowed to have a good education. The school is located in Las Vegas in a ghetto area, but the school is very respected, so there is no crime on school premises. There are approximately 650 pupils at the school from nursery school up to and including last year in high school.
In the event there were some different competitions in which both Agassi and I attended, and overall more money into the school.

Thursday was a fairly busy day, and it was a day when there was a lot of traffic, so it took some time to get through Manhattan. After the Agassi event, we went directly back to our hotel, where I dressed and made me ready to close the Nasdaq-stock exchange. It was a very fun event, where I had invited my sponsors to participate. There were also some of my friends and my parents.

If you want to see how it all went, I hereby give a link where you can see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg71poG_KDg

Now I am in Denmark a few days, where I would like to arrange some visas to Japan, China and Russia, because that is where I will play next time. And it is easier to organise in Denmark. I would also like to see some of my friends and girlfriends here and the Danish team championship, which will be played at KB this weekend.

I am a little tired today, so now I just kick back a little in front of the television, and then I see Kenneth Carlsen in action in Dancing With the Stars in the evening. I have to see whether he has taken over some of my dance moves :)

Best regards
Caroline

----------------------------------------

Probably the last USO related blog from Caro.
Some last thoughts of mine regardig the USO; on the men's side Nadal has the chance for winning his fourth major of the year. On the women's side it's quite different. Whether it's Jankovic or Serena who wins, she will be the fifth different winner in the five major tournaments this year (Sharapova, Ivanovic, Venus, Dementieva, Jankovic/Serena). The women's tour really doesnt have a single dominant figur at this moment, but like 7 players (those already mentioned plus Safina, Kuznetsova not quite) who can all be the best in the world on a good day.
And these are the only players I consider to be currently on a higher level than Caro. All the rest she's at least even with.