PDA

View Full Version : IVA BLASTS THROUGH THE USOPEN!!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 16th, 2002, 03:09 PM
I know this thread is a little early, but I couldn't help myself!!!! Iva is almost a lock now for that critical #24 seed. Ranked #25 currently, with the seedings coming out after this week, and with Sandrine's retirement, and now that Monica, Anne Kremer and Maggie Maleeva are also injured, it's seems like Iva should be getting the #24 seed for sure. So, if Iva makes it through her first 2 rounds (fingers crossed and praying!!!!), she would play one of these ladies in the 3rd round:

Martina Hingis (assuming she gets the 9th seed if Lindsay is bumped ahead of her?)
Amelie Mauresmo
Daniela Hantuchova
Elena Dementieva
Silvia Farina Elia
Chanda Rubin
Anastasia Myskina
Anna Smashnova or Maggie Maleeva (not sure if Maggie will be playing or not?)
or possibly Ai Sugiyama if Monica is not able to play

Some of these players will be tougher than others for Iva, but many of them are beatable!!! Let's go at least one round better than last year DIVA!!!!!!

TS
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:21 AM
Well she got Hantuchova in round 3!!! :o This is a Slam though, and Im sure if they meet, the result wil be different :p

BUT....there are some tricky players to get through first....most notably red hot Laura Granville or Katarina Srebotnik in round 2.
Laura has blasted her way up the rankings and is a very dangerous lefty, who IMO, will cause Iva major problems if they play...and Srebotnik has improved to Top 40 status this year and is a real worry...Im confident Iva can get through but I wish it was a little easier. Also, young Ashley Harkleroad will prove a handful in round 1 for the simple fact that she is coming off a title win ($50K Bronx) last week and is a young player with a lot of hunger. Iva, however, is not a $50K player, and I think Ashley will find that a bit tough to handle. I say Iva in 2 tough sets, possibly 3.

Anyway, here is Iva's section of the draw....dissect at will ;)

Daniela Hantuchova SVK (11) vs Nicole Pratt AUS (poor Nicole :( )
Mariana Diaz-Oliva ARG vs Virginie Razzano FRA
Katarina Srebotnik SLO vs Laura Granville USA
WC-Ashley Harkleroad USA vs Iva Majoli CRO (24)

Tamarine Tanasugarn THA (27) vs Barbara Rittner GER
WC-Bea Bielek USA vs Qualifier
Cara Black ZIM vs Qualifier
Samantha Reeves USA vs Justine Henin BEL (8)

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:38 AM
This will be tough, but I think Iva should handle Ashley, and then Laura!!! I have yet to see Laura play and I didn't know she was a lefty!!! Iva has openly said that she doesn't like playing lefties so this will be tough and Laura is definitely going to be tough. But I still think Iva will find a way to get through this too and then a rematch with Daniela will loom... Hopefully Iva will find a way to repeat her first set success from the last match and get through again!!! I'll go no farther than here, but a 4th round match-up with Henin would be sweet!!! We've just got to go with Iva match by match and hope that she shows her best tennis!!!

TS
Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
oops...Laura is actually right handed :o For some reason I thought otherwise :rolleyes:

Senility comes early in my case ;)

GoSandrine
Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:39 PM
I don't see any of those players giving Iva any trouble. :angel:

croat123
Aug 24th, 2002, 01:38 AM
I think Iva will get through Ashely pretty easily because she is simple a level or two above her. Laura could be tough, but Iva is the favorite and should win in three. I watched Iva's match against Hantuchova and the difference b/t Iva in set one and the other two sets was that she was mixing it up by hitting with topspin, flat, slice, and angles - she even came into net a few times. I really believe Iva can be Daniela!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 26th, 2002, 03:44 AM
I hope everyone is ready because our darling plays tomorrow!!!! Good luck Iva!!!
I saw Ashley playing in Arthur Ashe's Kid's Day and even though it was only a point or two that she really played in exhibition, she shouldn't have anything to hurt Iva. Actually I thought that Ashley looked slightly chunky and unfit, but what do I know!?!?!
Get through this match Iva and keep going!!!!
I think Ashley likes to play a lot of lobs and loopy balls, and Iva should just eat that up. Ashley will try to play finesse, but Iva should be able to find an answer to that style of play rather easily with her own finesse and angles. This could actually be a rather easy win for Iva!!!!
I'm praying already!!!
GO IVA!!!!

TS
Aug 26th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Hope you guys are right :)

Ed, I hope you get to watch her :D

Anyway, Im quietly confident Iva will get through unscathed!

This match will be on at an ungodly hour for me so cheer hard and lets hope its good news!!!

:bounce:

Sandstorm
Aug 26th, 2002, 08:13 PM
(24)Iva Majoli(CRO) def. Ashley Harkleroad(USA) 6:3,6:2
easy winn for Majoli
In 2nd Round Iva will meet Katarina Srebotnik(SLO)
Good luck IVA!

croat123
Aug 26th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Great win Iva!

TS
Aug 26th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Well she didnt let us down! Good win against a tricky opponent as we didnt really know what to make of the whole thing, with Ashley being so inexperienced yet obviously in great form.

Anyway, Katarina Srebotnik beat out Laura in straight sets! She must be playing well! Tough, but I go with Iva here in 2 maybe 3 sets!!!

Keep it up Iva :kiss:

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 26th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Yeah Iva!!!! One down and 6 more to go!!!!;)
Great win today and good luck next round. I will try to post the H2H with Srebotnik when I get home tonight.

croat123
Aug 26th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Here is the match scoreline according to sport.hrt.hr

First set

Majoli to serve...

1-0

2-0

2-1

2-2

3-2

4-2

4-3

5-3

6-3

Second Set

Hakleroad to serve...

1-0

1-1

2-1

2-2

2-3

2-4

2-5

2-6

Nice finish with Iva winning the last five games in a row.

If Iva makes the fourth round, she will probably be ranked 18th!

Master Lu
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Majoli d. Srebotnik 64 64

whooohoooo!!

Now the real test - Hantuchova (assuming, of course, she doesn't get upset, which is always a possibility with Razzano)

Johny
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:01 AM
I can just say: Iva looked great on the court.
That is enough!

Johny
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Let me copy croat123 by giving you game by game result:

Iva won a toss a choose to receive, so Srebotnik to serve:

1:0

1:1

2:1

2:2

3:2

3:3

3:4 (first deuce in the match)

3:5

4:5 (40/0, then Iva had set point but game Srebotnik)

4:6 first set Majoli (Srebotnik had first break point in the match)

Srebotnik to serve:

1:0

1:1

1:2

1:3

2:3 (Iva had break point)

3:3 (at 15/15 Iva made 2 doubles)

4:3 (Iva had 3 break points)

4:4

4:5

4:6 game, set and match Majoli

TS
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Excellent win from Iva!

Hey thanks for the game by game summary, as I havent had a chance to watch Iva's matches on TV here :(

Im looking forward to the match against Daniela, but its going to be a real test as I just saw a bit of Daniela v Razzano and she looked good!

Go IVA!

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Nice win Iva!!!!! YEAH!!!!! Let's get Daniela this time!!!! And good luck in Doubles with Conchi too!!!! They play tomorrow!!!

Marika
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Go Iva :bounce: :bounce:

Show everybody what you can do :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: