PDA

View Full Version : Your Tennis Injuries- Discuss And Tell Your Story Here.

Sorana_Cirstea
Aug 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
So, I look at some of the topics, and I see that they don't really tell the story of a lot of the posters in them. So I decided, for those of us who do play tennis, we can discuss our own tennis injuries and mental breakdowns on court here. It makes for good conversation, and a good read. Here's my story. I have two.

Injury:

About a year ago, I was really starting to heat up in the recreational league down in our parts of the United States(I live in Georgia). I was only playing singles, as I did not a knack for doubles, and I was doing really well. But that all soon changed. It was I think, a match against one of the up and comings of the state. I really did not know what to think, being I had never seen him before. He seemed talented, and had a good serve from what I had heard.. So I expected a good match.

I got injured early in the 2nd set. I had won the first, 7-5, and was leading 2-0 with break points on his serve when it happened. I mis-hit a return on his second serve, causing it to be a high lob; like you see on TV, basically. I felt like he was going to hit it to the right, so I went darting towards the right side of the court, putting as much into getting to that ball as I could. But instead he went down the middle.. And the rest of the mistake was mine.

I was not quite to the eight side yet, so I tried to reach for it, two handed. Worst decision of my life. One leg continued going right, and the other changed directions to go left. My right leg buckled under me, and my left ankle snapped. I tried to get up, but could not. I had to be carried by stretcher off the court, and I was not happy about it. I cried the entire way on the way to the hoospital, and once I got there.. I could barely speak from my headache. I still will not play a competitive match to this day, and plan to stick to that decision for possibly.. the rest of my life.

Breakdown:

This story is a bit shorter, and a bit dumber. It was earlier in my career(before the above mentioned injury), when I was really just starting out, and people in my town that played tennis were really starting to tell me I had potential. I was set to play the number one player in our county, although not officially called that, it was what he labeled himself. I came out firing on all cylinders. I won't the first set in a tiebreak, 7-6(7-4), and had a 4-1 lead in the second set. But then.. In the stands I saw one of my ex bf's(yes, I'm gay). I looked at him for probably 2 minutes before I got a time warning. And once I refocused, my game collapsed.

I lost the match, 7-6, 4-6, 6-0.

I nearly quit, then too. But my mom and friends wouldn't let me give it up. I thank them still to this day, even if I do not play anymore, and probably never will.