PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance of Jelena getting a WC from tennis Australia for the USO?

ninanina19
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I know she probably won't but I don't think Stosur needs one and she seems like the best candidate right now. Then again, Jessica Moore also won a 25k but Jelena has had such impressive results. If she wins the 25k 2 weeks from now, I think they should give her it.

DokDi
Jul 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Don't know exactly how T.A argues about that question, but I really doubt they will give Jelena the wildcard:mad:

Uranium
Jul 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
no.

Petkorazzi
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I think Jelena would prefer to play qualifying. Till now, I can't remember her playing someone from top 100 who'd be in main draw, so it may be hard for her to play a top 100 directly.

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm sure TA will give that wild card to Jessica Moore. She's young and having a lot of great results on the ITF circuit plus I think she won a round at a grand slam recently, just can't remember which one. It would be better for Jelena to play in qualifying anyways and I think that's what she wants.

cn ireland
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
No i'm sure that the wildcard will either go to Moore or Molik.

I think qualifying would be much better for JD anyway!

vutt
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think by now those who have followed TA doings should relise that player needs to be from the TA system in order to gain any offical WC-s from TA. Dokic have been on her own since she started to play for OZ.

So NO...

Just Do It
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM
^ She still got WC's this January from TA.

vutt
Jul 20th, 2008, 11:47 PM
^ She still got WC's this January from TA.

yeah, but TA has a lot more WC-s to handle out during thier home event...

OZTENNIS
Jul 21st, 2008, 12:24 AM
I don't think Jelena will get the US Open wildcard.
I hope Jessica Moore gets the US Open wildcard. She is young, talented and ranked quite highly for one so young.

Then again, I would much prefer Dokic to get the wildcard than Alicia Molik, who has done diddly squat this year...Molik is turning into the Mark Philippoussis of Aussie women's tennis, just rock up and expect the wildcard.
The fairest way to decide is for a playoff between these three...but I doubt TA will do that.

Regardless, if Jelena needs a wildcard, she will be given one for the 2009 Australian Open, no questions asked.

And Cat's Pajama's, Jessica won a round at the Australian Open this year :)

Привет
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
She won't get it. :)

Ballbasher
Jul 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Jelena has no WCs left so no :shrug:

King Aaron
Jul 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
She won't be given the WC.

cn ireland
Jul 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Jelena has no WCs left so no :shrug:

I thought she had 2 WCs left for WTA events and 4 for ITF events:confused:

Just Do It
Jul 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Even if they would offer her MDWC, she shouldnt take it.

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
Let's just hope she plays :lol:

AUSBOY
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
I don't think Jelena will get the US Open wildcard.
Then again, I would much prefer Dokic to get the wildcard than Alicia Molik, who has done diddly squat this year...Molik is turning into the Mark Philippoussis of Aussie women's tennis, just rock up and expect the wildcard.

Show some respect, some posters on here know the people you insult! When has Molik ever been a charity case????? Sure Mark has received a few wildcards, but he's earnt them! I'd like to see you attempt to play tennis at a high level after one knee reconstruction, let alone 4!!!! The fact that he keeps trying to return to the top is a big credit to him, and it should be rewarded! You are completely ignorant to the frustrations both these players have endured with there lengthy injury time-outs and rehab.

Both Alicia and Mark have served Australia proud, Mark in particular winning our two recent Davis Cup ties for Australia, and Alicia a Bronze medal at the Olympics. The final against France Mark won off his own bat.

I'm sure if you put Alicia on court with Jess now she would beat her in straight sets, even with her arm injury. Alicia has battled all year with injuries and is training very hard to try and overcome them. She has far more talent than Jess will ever have, she just needs to get her confidence up, which will only come with wins. Also in overcoming any serious injury, it takes a while to be able to trust your body, and get over the hesitation and paranoia not to push your body to the limits in fear of reinjuring yourself, not an easy thing to do!

Unless Jess can string together a few top 150 wins, I think Alicia will be given the wildcard, and deservedly so.

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
^^^
:sad:

Another Alicia fan stuck in the past :o :help:

Let's face it...Alicia won't make it back into the top 50, she simply is not good enough any more. As much as I would like for her to return to her former glory, it simply ain't happening :sad:
And she has done nothing this season to try and improve her ranking...she really should have stepped down to the ITFs and played her way through injury and poor form, rather than sticking with the bigger WTA events and losing confidence as quickly as her matches.

In comparison, Jelena has been putting in the hard yards, winning 3 x 25k titles and matches at both WTA level and GS quallies (GS quallies, something Molik is yet to do). Dokic has more wins this season, better wins, more points from her tournaments, and if you want to bring past representation into this, she has played Fed Cup for Australia (1998-2000) won us the Hopman Cup in 1999 and 4th in the Olympics 2000.
You are really living in the past, Alicia only beat Jess 6-4 6-4 in the final of the '06 Playoff...why would she beat her in straight sets again now if she is player worse now than in '06 and Jess is ranked, oh I don't know, 800 places higher than she was then...grow a brain.

And I'm not going to show you or Alicia any respect in this conversation until either 1) you start showing me and my thoughts about Jessica some respect or 2) Alicia gets some wins on the board.

Dani12
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Jelena should get it, but Alicia will probably get it.

AUSBOY
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
^^^
:sad:

Another Alicia fan stuck in the past :o :help:

Let's face it...Alicia won't make it back into the top 50, she simply is not good enough any more. As much as I would like for her to return to her former glory, it simply ain't happening :sad:
And she has done nothing this season to try and improve her ranking...she really should have stepped down to the ITFs and played her way through injury and poor form, rather than sticking with the bigger WTA events and losing confidence as quickly as her matches.

In comparison, Jelena has been putting in the hard yards, winning 3 x 25k titles and matches at both WTA level and GS quallies (GS quallies, something Molik is yet to do). Dokic has more wins this season, better wins, more points from her tournaments, and if you want to bring past representation into this, she has played Fed Cup for Australia (1998-2000) won us the Hopman Cup in 1999 and 4th in the Olympics 2000.
You are really living in the past, Alicia only beat Jess 6-4 6-4 in the final of the '06 Playoff...why would she beat her in straight sets again now if she is player worse now than in '06 and Jess is ranked, oh I don't know, 800 places higher than she was then...grow a brain.

And I'm not going to show you or Alicia any respect in this conversation until either 1) you start showing me and my thoughts about Jessica some respect or 2) Alicia gets some wins on the board.

You're are telling me a former top ten player, who's only 27 can't get back into the top 50? She was ranked 57 only 6 months ago! You have no clue do you, and you are showing everyone that with your stupid comments!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alicia hates clay, she's only played 7 tournaments since her comeback 6 of which were on clay while she was battling with another injury. She hasn't had a chance to prove herself on hardcourt yet, her favourite surface.

As for Dokic, she is going along very well, although I think she needs to step up to $50K/$75K's now, but she isn't going to be getting a WC to US Open as she refused to play Fed Cup. Therefore the only wildcards she will get will be ones in Australia, purely to draw crowd and attract greater ticket sales.

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
You're are telling me a former top ten player, who's only 27 can't get back into the top 50? She was ranked 57 only 6 months ago! You have no clue do you, and you are showing everyone that with your stupid comments!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Alicia hates clay, she's only played 7 tournaments since her comeback 6 of which were on clay while she was battling with another injury. She hasn't had a chance to prove herself on hardcourt yet, her favourite surface.

As for Dokic, she is going along very well, although I think she needs to step up to $50K/$75K's now, but she isn't going to be getting a WC to US Open as she refused to play Fed Cup. Therefore the only wildcards she will get will be ones in Australia, purely to draw crowd and attract greater ticket sales.
Yes I am saying that Alicia will not get back into the top 50. As unfortunate as it is, she is not the same player that she was, and I think she will do well to get back into the top 70. But, I am sure there are plenty of people who agree that Alicia won't make the top 50 again.

I agree that Dokic needs to step up to 50k/75k's now, but how do you know that she 'refused' to play Fed Cup this year? She said after the Australian Open that she was doubtful of playing Fed Cup again, but she wouldn't have been selected anyway because she had no ranking. So I think there is a difference between 'refusing' and 'not being picked' ;)

nicky-j-c
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hmmm its quite funny to read everyone arguing over Alicia Molik when i really dont think she stands a chance!
Since Stosur wont need it anymore, Moore and Dokic SHOULD be the ONLY candidates but you never know with these people. I personally believe that Molik simply has zero chance of winning the first round match now, maybe on grass with that serve (thats only a shadow of itself anyway) but i cant see it on a hard court :(

On a brighter note, Dokic is in good shape ^.^
WOO

I agree with Oz Tennis, Sorry :S
Like you said AUSBOY Molik hasnt had a chance to prove herself on a hardcourt, so they wont even consider her because they cant see her form...i suppose for that matter, Dokic shouldnt get it either but then again she has won 3 tournies, regardless of surface.

Ballbasher
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Molik deserves it if she wins a match in Beijing.
Otherwise it should be Moore or possibly Adamczak.I don't think Jelena will get it sadly :(

nicky-j-c
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
A match? one hard court match LOL

Mr.Kardashian
Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
I totally agree with AUSBOY...

I know this thread has gone off topic but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Alicia's (and Mark's) chances. Alicia HAS played some great tennis since her comeback from vestibular neuronitis but unfortunately she has had some terrible luck with injuries. Molik is obviously prone to these injuries but when she gets some wins and momentum under her belt she'll be a top 50 player without a doubt.

Moore will get THIS WC unless Molik performs in Beijing. Perhaps Molik would prefer to play qualifying in New York anyway??

If Jelena Dokic has any intention of playing in the US a qualifying WC would be far more logical and beneficial. I really don't think Jelena will or even should play in the US, as much as I would love to see her go there she seems to have a patient plan in place for her rise back up the ranking. And hey as frustrating as it may be for us selfish fans, who want to see her in the larger events, its working so far!

scottsue
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Jelena should get it, but Alicia will probably get it.

Danimoo speaks good sense! I agree completely!

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I totally agree with AUSBOY...

I know this thread has gone off topic but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Alicia's (and Mark's) chances. Alicia HAS played some great tennis since her comeback from vestibular neuronitis but unfortunately she has had some terrible luck with injuries. Molik is obviously prone to these injuries but when she gets some wins and momentum under her belt she'll be a top 50 player without a doubt.

Moore will get THIS WC unless Molik performs in Beijing. Perhaps Molik would prefer to play qualifying in New York anyway??

If Jelena Dokic has any intention of playing in the US a qualifying WC would be far more logical and beneficial. I really don't think Jelena will or even should play in the US, as much as I would love to see her go there she seems to have a patient plan in place for her rise back up the ranking. And hey as frustrating as it may be for us selfish fans, who want to see her in the larger events, its working so far!
The thing is that a reciprocal wc is available for the MD, and nothing is on offer for quallies. And besides, all three of these girls are in the qualifying draw without the need of a wildcard.

I see your point about her patiently building form and confidence, but she needs to step up soon and the US hardcourt season is a good time to do it

aussie_fan
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Show some respect, some posters on here know the people you insult! When has Molik ever been a charity case????? Sure Mark has received a few wildcards, but he's earnt them! I'd like to see you attempt to play tennis at a high level after one knee reconstruction, let alone 4!!!! The fact that he keeps trying to return to the top is a big credit to him, and it should be rewarded! You are completely ignorant to the frustrations both these players have endured with there lengthy injury time-outs and rehab.

Both Alicia and Mark have served Australia proud, Mark in particular winning our two recent Davis Cup ties for Australia, and Alicia a Bronze medal at the Olympics. The final against France Mark won off his own bat.

I'm sure if you put Alicia on court with Jess now she would beat her in straight sets, even with her arm injury. Alicia has battled all year with injuries and is training very hard to try and overcome them. She has far more talent than Jess will ever have, she just needs to get her confidence up, which will only come with wins. Also in overcoming any serious injury, it takes a while to be able to trust your body, and get over the hesitation and paranoia not to push your body to the limits in fear of reinjuring yourself, not an easy thing to do!

Unless Jess can string together a few top 150 wins, I think Alicia will be given the wildcard, and deservedly so.

Agreed, even though I'm not fussed if Jess gets the WC, she deserves it as well, to see what Molik has achieved and the talent she has, if alicia can string a few matches along, things can happen, hopefully she can eventually get over the injury.

Tennace
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Can't Jelena get into qualies based on her ranking?

cn ireland
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Can't Jelena get into qualies based on her ranking?

Yes Jelena is already in qualies:).

OZTENNIS
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry for what I said earlier about Alicia...
I do not intend to insult her, but rather, I refuse to respect what AUSBOY has to say about her because he has shown little respect for what I have had to say about Jessica Moore.
But anyway, once again, AUSBOY and I will just have to agree to disagree :lol:

And good luck to Jelena in her upcoming tournaments (seeing as this is Jelena's forum :lol:)

AUSBOY
Jul 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Sorry for what I said earlier about Alicia...
I do not intend to insult her, but rather, I refuse to respect what AUSBOY has to say about her because he has shown little respect for what I have had to say about Jessica Moore.
But anyway, once again, AUSBOY and I will just have to agree to disagree :lol:
And good luck to Jelena in her upcoming tournaments (seeing as this is Jelena's forum :lol:)

Its called constructive criticism not lack of respect!!

You seem to be blinded by love so to speak. I wish Jess every success, but she's just not yet at the level you want her to be at and needs a lot more fine tuning in her game before she can even be deemed a regular top 150 player.

It will come though, I think she has what it takes and she has made good progress this year, but she's still not at that level yet, and has not beaten or even taken a set of a player ranked higher than her all year other than a flu-ridden Ditty.