PDA

View Full Version : Wozniak def. Serena 6-2 3-1 ret.

Dave.
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Aleksandra :yeah:

LDF
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
*sigh* Bloody knee.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
WTF!:o

danieln1
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I hate Serena´s injuries

Sean.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
:eek: OMG! What happened?

Craig.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Aleks! :yeah: Win the title now. :D

Serena... too bad.

Dave.
I posted to test if i could post but why is it at the top? :weirdo:

-sugi-
Aleks :woohoo:

Craigy
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I hope WTT was worth it.

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Serena: "Oh, crap... I'm down a set and a break... better retire and not let this QUALIFIER have the satisfaction of beating me!!"

ASP0315
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Aleks :yeah:
take the title and make your country proud :p

too bad for serena. hopefully she will be fit by the time olympics.

Dodoboy.
Wow, this is bad!

I feel so bad for her!

Why now in the most crucial time of her season :sad:

Lucas_Arg
Is she playing LA?

Vamos.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Poo.

CrossCourt~Rally
Wow:eek:, what a golden opportunity for Wozi!

Serena << :hug:. I hope she is fully fit for the Olympics. It doesn't look good for LA :sad:.

Effy
Serena :(

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Injurena ?

kinseh
Poor Serena, with the Olympics so soon.. :sad:

young_gunner913
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Guess all that playing finally caught up to her. Serena :o

Congrats anyways Aleks.

mirzalover
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I wanted Alek to win but at the same time I didnt since I didnt want Serena to get bashed for losing to her but this isnt the way I wanted it to happen.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Aleks :woohoo: :D :yeah:

A Magicman
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Wow.

Bets performance of a Canadian since Helen reaching the final of the Italian Open 1988.

дalex
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
WTH!? Serena! :shout:
What's wrong with her knee, when did she injure it?

MisterMan
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Is she playing LA?

No more, she aint. Withdrawal announced tomorrow.

Bijoux0021
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I hope WTT was worth it.
I hope WTT is not on their schedule next year no matter what happen at Wimbledon. They should not have played this year after making it all the way to the finals of both singles and doubles.

steffiforever
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM
WOW...a Canadian Female in a WTA final. When's the last time this has happened? Maybe way back in the late 80's early 90's? Helen Kelesi made the Italian Open Final I believe.

mdterp01
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Serena: "Oh, crap... I'm down a set and a break... better retire and not let this QUALIFIER have the satisfaction of beating me!!"

:rolleyes: Yeah because she wants to risk the same knee she's had surgery on and has had persistent problems with to complete a match and make it worse to jeopardize her Olympics and US Open chances. Can I have some of what you're smoking? :wavey:

ANYWHO....this knee thing with Serena is getting on my nerves so I know for her it must be so frustrating. I can't say I'm surprised though. I was worried about the transition from clay and grass all these months to the hard court grind, and it seems her knee was immediately like WOOO WOOO SISTA GIRL!! :rolleyes: Ugh...shouldn't have played WTT in my opinion. But, the important thing is that she gets treatment and is hopefully ok for Beijing and US Open. Great opportunity for Wozniak though, but tough for Serena to be injured right now. Its ashame that on Serena's best surface, the other shoe can drop at any time because of her knee. :sad:

Uranium
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
WOW...a Canadian Female in a WTA final. When's the last time this has happened? Maybe way back in the late 80's early 90's? Helen Kelesi made the Italian Open Final I believe.

not to long ago since this is Wozniak's second tour final(the other being last year;))

ASP0315
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Serena, Venus ,Davenport out of L.A which is a huge blows to the organizers and fans offcourse.

Hopefully they are allright by the time of olympics.

In the meantime Alex has built up her own winning streak. Good for her for taking this golden opportunity.
good luck in the finals.

mb011
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
chances for jelena in LA are looking better every day :-)

LindsayRulz
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
:eek:

Elwin.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Serena :eek: :o

Vincey!
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Wow!...Aleks played really well!...Serena couldn't move too bad she had to retire, but that was the best thing to do. Seriously she saw that she couldn't beat Aleks today with that injury so why taking the risk to make it worst :shrug:....Anyway awesome week for Aleks, you can win that title :yeah:..Goodluck!:D

tucker1989
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Alex was playing great, and it's a shame Serena wasn't fully fit, because, if she was healthy and playing like she did in her first two matches, it could have been a really fun match. Congratulations to Alex on her fantastic week; I think it all comes back to her much improved fitness. Get well soon Serena!

LudwigDvorak
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Aleks' run:
F - v. Bartoli/Sugiyama
SF - def. #5 Williams 62 31 ret.
QF - def. #107 Stosur 62 57 64
2R - def. #29 Bammer 64 75
1R - def. #20 Schiavone 26 63 62
Q3R - def. #107 Stosur 64 62
Q2R - def. #136 Morita 63 75
Q1R - def. #185 Haynes 62 67(5) 64

Really impressive!

steffiforever
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
anyone can estimate Alek's new ranking making it to the final and also if she wins??

P_Fer
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Awesome win Aleks! Good luck in the final :)

hablo
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Too bad Serena got injured.

So happy for Aleks though.

I wonder what her ranking will be now ?

Sinnet
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM
It's so frustrating to see this same injury pop up time and time again, seemingly at the WORST possible times. Serena could have stacked up points (and momentum) this summer if she stayed fit which may have helped her win the US Open.

I really hope this isn't a long layoff. I'm hoping maybe she's just playing it safe -- hopefully the knee isn't REALLY bad at the moment and just needs a week or two off before she can play again. We need you strong for the summer hardcourts, Olympics and US Open girl!

hablo
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Alex was playing great, and it's a shame Serena wasn't fully fit, because, if she was healthy and playing like she did in her first two matches, it could have been a really fun match. Congratulations to Alex on her fantastic week; I think it all comes back to her much improved fitness. Get well soon Serena!

Totally agree.

She seems much fitter nowadays.

Brooks.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
chances for jelena in LA are looking better every day :-)

how does it feel to go for a player who you know can only win in depleted fields...must suck:tape:

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah because she wants to risk the same knee she's had surgery on and has had persistent problems with to complete a match and make it worse to jeopardize her Olympics and US Open chances. Can I have some of what you're smoking? :wavey:

Sorry, but we have already seen this before during the YEC when she retired against Chakvetadze. You don't have to get so defensive. At least it's not as bad as Cibulkova's retirement yesterday!

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Thats so sad for serena, i hope it ain't a long layoff. Get well soon Serena.
Aleks congrats

hankqq
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Well, this sucks. The announcers learned that Serena was fine going into the match, but tweaked her knee during the warm up. Just when she was about to rack up the points by playing a lot of events, the knee thing happens. Again. sigh...Hopefully she'll still be able to play Olympics and USO...

Anyway, hopefully Wozniak can win her first title. It would be nice for Canada to have at least 1 good player. Along with Dancevic, they now have 2 players who can at least crack the top 40.

vw.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Aleks' ranking will be 50 after this finals appearance. If she can win the final, she will be 43/44 in the world.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've said it a thousand times.... "that knee..."

dybbuk
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I hate hate hate knees. Hate them all.

frontier
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
She will be fine I think she must be very tired and just being precautionary.I dont think she will miss the Olympics or USA Open,she has three weeks of rest before Beijing.

hablo
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Aleks' ranking will be 51 after this finals appearance. If she can win the final, she will be 44 in the world.

Wozniak is now top fifty. :)

With a title, she'd be like #43.

I guess she's achieved the goal she had out for this year which was making top 50. :woohoo::awww:

Fretchap
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Aleksandra :bounce: Sad Serena injured her knee cause Aleks was really playing well, putting a lot of first serves in, it could have been a really good match, I hope the knee thing is not serious enough to make Ree pull out of the Olympics :scared:

Win it all Aleksandra!

vw.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Serena looks really sad. :awww:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a6/fullj.ead97983fcc38e98734d1bf77650f2e9/ead97983fcc38e98734d1bf77650f2e9-getty-.jpg

дalex
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
:awww: :hug:

winone23
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I hope Serena will be OK. Serena rest up!!!!

Mikey.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I hate hate hate knees. Hate them all.

:hug:

serenus_2k8
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ree :hug:

Has any1 seen the interview?

maxomax
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wow Aleks what a impressive run!! Playing solid all the week! Good luck in the final, you have nothing to lose!

ce
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
no :sad:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM

:o screw you. She couldn't even walk!

~CANUCK~
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Um, were we watching the same match. She could walk just fine :rolleyes:. She is really hurt, and should have pulled out when she did, but don't go making it seem like she broke her leg out there.

frontier
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I dont think Serena minds losing to Alexs,she must be disappointment to lose in this manner.good luck to the canuck in the final

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM

How do you play 12 games if you can't walk? Bottom line - she wasn't 100%, but Serena thought she would able to beat a qualifier anyway... she was wrong, she was losing, so she quit. It's not a big deal.

vettipooh
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Um, were we watching the same match. She could walk just fine :rolleyes:. She is really hurt, and should have pulled out when she did, but don't go making it seem like she broke her leg out there.

As a moderator, if you really wanted to respond to something, shouldn't it be to "thiskidhasit" for making it seem like Serena is not injured? Because I want to know if he was watching the same match. :rolleyes:

jonny84
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
:sad: for Serena

:eek: for Aleksandra making a Tier II final!

~CANUCK~
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
As a moderator, if you really wanted to respond to something, shouldn't it be to "thiskidhasit" for making it seem like Serena is not injured? Because I want to know if he was watching the same match. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware we are still allowed to have opinions on this board, even if those opinions are wrong. When peoples opinions cross a line we do something about it. He is wrong, but that doesn't mean I should have to do anything about it because I'm a mod.

Anik
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
aleks :bounce:
good luck tomorrow !!

Dave.
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
omg wtf? :o

i did NOT start this thread!

vettipooh
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
As far as I'm aware we are still allowed to have opinions on this board, even if those opinions are wrong. When peoples opinions cross a line we do something about it. He is wrong, but that doesn't mean I should have to do anything about it because I'm a mod.

But whether she could hardly walk, or walk just fine, is an opinion.:lol: Get it?

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
typical

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM
OMG, I just said Serena wasn't 100%, but I GUARANTEE she wouldn't have retired if she were winning. That's ALL I'm saying - and that is my opinion. If you disagree with it, sorry.

~CANUCK~
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:41 PM
But whether she could hardly walk, or walk just fine, is an opinion.:lol: Get it?

The quote wasn't hardly walk, it was couldn't even walk. Big difference. She didn't need to be pushed off in a wheel chair, she walked off on her own strength. That would imply she was able to walk just fine, no?

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
OMG, I just said Serena wasn't 100%, but I GUARANTEE she wouldn't have retired if she were winning. That's ALL I'm saying - and that is my opinion. If you disagree with it, sorry.
Some people just don't understand tennis, tennis in not only a physical came but also a mental. When your not moving well because your leg,back,hips are hurting you, it also effect the mental part of your game. So when you are playing with pain it affects everything!winning or loosing.

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM
The quote wasn't hardly walk, it was couldn't even walk. Big difference. She didn't need to be pushed off in a wheel chair, she walked off on her own strength. That would imply she was able to walk just fine, no?
Sad, sad, ;)

Andiyan
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Aleks :worship: what a breakthrough this week :yeah:

vettipooh
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Alright, alright. She's injured. She's got a bum knee. She can walk. She won't play LA. She's tired. She needs rest.:angel: :cool: :devil:

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Um, Moriah I am a 4.0 USTA tennis player here in the states... so, yes, I understand pain and tennis. And if I'm in THAT much pain, I won't step foot on the court. I've sprained my ankles and cramped in many matches and have always finished out of respect for my opponents.

~CANUCK~
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Alright, alright. She's injured. She's got a bum knee. She can walk. She won't play LA. She's tired. She needs rest.:angel: :cool: :devil:

Agreed ;)

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:53 PM
But Hingis ALWAYS finished the match! I think she only retired from like 2-3 matches in her entire career. Don't bring Martina up in this thread. This is about Serena.

Vincey!
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM

:worship:...:worship:...That should close the debate :angel:

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Um, Moriah I am a 4.0 USTA tennis player here in the states... so, yes, I understand pain and tennis. And if I'm in THAT much pain, I won't step foot on the court. I've sprained my ankles and cramped in many matches and have always finished out of respect for my opponents.
:tape:uhm well good for you!
Look this is not a love contest, this is the WTA the best of the BEST. when you wan't respect you will have to earn. You don't get respect because your one of the 1000 players out there to make it big.
That's probably the diffrence in attitude and dicipline.:wavey:

winone23
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
But Hingis ALWAYS finished the match! I think she only retired from like 2-3 matches in her entire career. Don't bring Martina up in this thread. This is about Serena.
I would rather have Serena retiring from matches when she needs to instead of retiring from tennis altogether like Martina. Serena is a fighter not a quitter like Martina.

thiskidhasit
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Look this is not a love contest, this is the WTA the best of the BEST. when you wan't respect you will have to earn. You don't get respect because your one of the 1000 players out there to make it big.
That's probably the diffrence in attitude and dicipline.:wavey:

sorry, but there's a major language barrier here - i don't understand anything you said.

~CANUCK~
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Keep it on topic guys, please.

Vincey!
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I would rather have Serena retiring from matches when she needs to instead of retiring from tennis altogether like Martina. Serena is a fighter not a quitter like Martina.

How a thread about Wozniak beating Serena and reaching her 1st Tier II final can end up with Martina's retirement :sobbing:...please stick to the topic of this thread and celebrate Wozzy's making the history :angel:

#1SteffiGraf#1

Im so sick of it. Its almost as if she doesnt feel her opponent is worthy of defeating her fairly and squarely, so she quits and makes excuse.

I promise you she will be fine for her next match though. Just watch. :lol:

thiskidhasit

I think every player on the WTA tour is a fighter - just not everyone screams and is vocal about it like Serena. You don't think Martina fought for every point? Or Justine? Or Maria? Everyone fights out there - NOT just Serena, sorry.

dylan24
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
so stupid to play WTT. wtf did serena do that for?
WTT is for losers.

Apoleb
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Look this is not a love contest, this is the WTA. The best of the BEST. When you want respect you will have to earn it. You don't get respect because you're one of the 1000 players out there [to make it big].
That's probably the diffrence in attitude and discipline.:wavey:

:D

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
:D

:kiss:

Josh.
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Oh dear. Hope you are alright Serena :)

Aleks, good luck in the final :yeah:

Serenita
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Oh dear. Hope you are alright Serena :)

Aleks, good luck in the final :yeah:
She'll be fine serena is a fighter. ;)

DA FOREHAND
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I think every player on the WTA tour is a fighter - just not everyone screams and is vocal about it like Serena. You don't think Martina fought for every point? Or Justine? Or Maria? Everyone fights out there - NOT just Serena, sorry.
no. she quit in the middle of a gs final:help:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
How is it that both Williams sisters manage to keep getting injured during the summer? This is why both have failed to win the US Open since 2002.

winone23
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
How a thread about Wozniak beating Serena and reaching her 1st Tier II final can end up with Martina's retirement :sobbing:...please stick to the topic of this thread and celebrate Wozzy's making the history :angel:

I'm not the one that went off topic, but Hooray for Wozzy. Great achievement.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
omg :( i hope she's okay :(

Ryan
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Big Woz wins a slam!! :D Or she might as well have considering the big deal some Williams fans are making of this. :rolleyes: Plus she's won 7 matches in a row. :banana:

Il Primo!
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I read she was criedwhile going out of the court :unsure:

Hope it's not too serious... But.. I had this bad feeling about her schedule!

F-R-E-A-K
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Oh dear. :o :tape:

Rena :sad: :hug:

winone23
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM

No, I think Martina retired from tennis b/c she couldn't stand getting beat. Plus, I wasn't taking about fighting for points I was talking about fighting through injuries, pain, and setbacks. Justine also retired prematurely, you're making my argument even better.

Just Do It
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Yay :)

vadin124
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I guess it's up to Sveta to stop the travesty of having Jankovic as WTA No.1 :help:

UDACHi
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM
god, this is annoying. stop it. :shrug:
aleks is awful from what i've seen, but i have high hopes that she will be much improved when i watch her play the final.

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
wow what an amazing opportunity for Aleks. :eek: :worship:

frenchie
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Serena would have won if she was fit

Anyway congrats Wosniack for her tier 2 final (something players like Vaidisova have never achieved!)

supergrunt
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
From the first point she was out of it. I am not surprised.

The Kaz
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Aleks :eek:

starin
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM
no way Serena loses like this if she wasn't injured.
get better Serena.!!

ASP0315
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I guess it's up to Sveta to stop the travesty of having Jankovic as WTA No.1 :help:

Jankovic is a better player than Sveta even though Sveta won USO.
i'll take her over kuznetsova any day.

frontier
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Lets move on Aleks won by default Serena is nursing her knee thats it,there is no reason to bicker.Serena will be fine she is tired from the beginning of this event one could tell that she was not fired up,she was making double faults something she doesnt do often....She fulfilled the obligation she made with Stanford now she can rest her knee and lets await her next event

Bounty Hunter
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Ailing Serena injures knee, pulls out of Stanford semi
Associated Press

STANFORD, Calif. -- Serena Williams' busy summer schedule caught up with her, making her the latest U.S. Olympian dealing with a knee injury as the Beijing Games approach.

Williams injured her left knee and pulled out of the Bank of the West Classic on Saturday, becoming the third singles player on the U.S. women's tennis team with a knee injury.

Williams retired from her match after losing the first set and falling behind in the second set of her semifinal against qualifier Aleksandra Wozniak.

"It was hurting in practice and I didn't really practice too long because it was hurting," Williams said. "After I got off, it was really swollen. I thought that I have to play really fast."

She lasted only 46 minutes before pulling out of the match trailing 2-6, 1-3. Williams said the injury is different than one that forced her to undergo surgery on her left knee in 2003 and miss eight months. But that knee has bothered her since, forcing her to drop out of the 2004 Athens Olympics and to miss significant time again in 2006.

But Williams had felt healthy most of this year, playing a busy schedule since winning in Miami in the beginning of April. She played 26 matches in a three-month span that went through her loss in the Wimbledon final to big sister, Venus.

Then she returned home and played for the Washington Kastles of the World Team Tennis league before arriving at Stanford for her debut in this tournament. Williams wouldn't blame her decision to play team tennis on her latest setback.

"You know that risk going into it," she said. "It is what it is. I can't blame that. I just think in general I've been playing a lot of tennis since Miami - especially for me."

Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport, the other U.S. Olympic singles players, have already pulled out of next week's East West Bank Classic in Carson, Calif., due to right knee injuries. Serena Williams said she still plans to go to Carson, but will likely have an MRI before then and could choose to rest up for the Olympics next month.

"I do plan on obviously being at the Olympics," she said. "That's my main goal."

Williams struggled from the start against the 85th-ranked Wozniak and first called for the trainer when trailing 5-2 in the first set. She got the knee heavily taped and came out to finish the set, but appeared to struggle to plant on her injured leg.

"It's unfortunate that she pulled out," Wozniak said. "I think in the middle of the first set she started looking at her leg. I didn't know if it was her ankle bothering her. But at the end it was her knee."

Wozniak held serve to win the set and won 11 straight points to take a 3-1 lead early in the second. Williams then aggravated the knee while stretching for a backhand in the fifth game of the set and retired from the match. She walked off the court and embraced her father, Richard.

"I actually thought it felt better once I got it wrapped," Williams said. "But Wozniak ke pt moving me. I was hoping she wouldn't but I guess she knew better. That didn't help at all."

Wozniak will play in Sunday's final against the winner of the night semifinal between sixth-seeded Marion Bartoli and Ai Sugiyama.

It's been quite a week for Wozniak, who needed to win three matches in the qualifying tournament just to make it into the main draw. She then beat eighth-seeded Francesca Schiavone in three sets in the first round, before knocking off Sybille Bammer and Samantha Stosur to make it to the semifinals.

This is just the second career final for Wozniak, who made it to a lower-tiered championship match in Morocco last year. Wozniak, who entered the week ranked 85th in the world, should be close to reaching her goal of being a top 50 player by next week.

"I'm really happy with the way I played this week, coming out of the qualifying is not easy," Wozniak said. "It's a lot of matches in one week."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Get well soon Serena :sad:

vettipooh
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Im so sick of it. Its almost as if she doesnt feel her opponent is worthy of defeating her fairly and squarely, so she quits and makes excuse.

Oh shove it where the sun don't shine!:lol:

vw.
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:07 AM

So according to you, she should've done it when she was a set and a break down against Larcher de Brito, right? Was that just a fluke then? :rolleyes:

cheo23
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM
LOL this final is going to be BORINGGGGG

vettipooh
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Big Woz wins a slam!! :D Or she might as well have considering the big deal some Williams fans are making of this. :rolleyes: Plus she's won 7 matches in a row. :banana:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Read through the thread first.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Uranium
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:34 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Read through the thread first.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

did you see my rep?:angel:

vettipooh
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM
did you see my rep?:angel:

:lol: I just did! I was wondering about that too.:o Wanted to ask why he so blatantly declares his fav in avatar and sig as a :tape:, but held my tongue, hense I get carried away!:lol:

mal
Jul 20th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Ailing Serena injures knee, pulls out of Stanford semi
Associated Press

STANFORD, Calif. -- Serena Williams' busy summer schedule caught up with her, making her the latest U.S. Olympian dealing with a knee injury as the Beijing Games approach.

Williams injured her left knee and pulled out of the Bank of the West Classic on Saturday, becoming the third singles player on the U.S. women's tennis team with a knee injury.

yeah, playing on an injury is really dumb, and usually comes back to bite you later. Knee injuries are the reason I ride a bicycle to keep fit, or used to until it was stolen three years ago.

I have a left knee niggle from when I used to run a half marathon (sounds better than take a 90 minute jog) every day. One day I found I hadn't been concentration on my body. I'd slipped into the "zone" and "woke up" to find I'd been landing heavily on my left knee with every step. I was gong down a small hill and it was starting to hurt. Even though I backed right off and have protected it ever since, it has never fully healed, and will probably get worse as I get older.
(On the other hand, I could barely walk because of the pain, for the first hour of the day,- only happens once you get past 35- then you need two days to recover from a day of hard training) but that has completely healed as it was just muscle pain.)

Drake1980
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Simply amazing stuff from Aleks! This is the best Tournament a Canadian woman has had since Patricia Hy made the QF at The US Open in 1992.:D

Lulu.
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Serena. :sobbing:

Such a shame, this title was HERS. :sad:

Rest up and get ready for the Olympics. :hug:

WTT. :o

-VSR-
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:55 AM
That left knee is a pain in the ass. Serena was just getting momentum.

Goodbye to her number one ranking chances for a while, hope she is ready for the Olympics.

ASP0315
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM

:haha: this is coming from an amber liu fan, who can't even win a point on a decent rally. :lol:

Drake1980
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:03 AM

Not for me!:D:wavey::drool:

Vincey!
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Not for me!:D:wavey::drool:

That will be awesome, even more since we have it live on Radio-Canada :hearts:

hablo
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:16 AM
That will be awesome, even more since we have it live on Radio-Canada :hearts:

Really ? :eek:

Damn it, for once they're going to show tennis live and I'm going to watch the men in Toronto. :fiery:

kwilliams
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Aaaaagh! The title was hers for the taking!

Maybe it's just a niggling injury that prevented her playing on the day...maybe she could still play LA. Unlikely but I always live in hope.

Good luck Wozniack. Beat Bartoli!

Vincey!
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Really ? :eek:

Damn it, for once they're going to show tennis live and I'm going to watch the men in Toronto. :fiery:

yeah someone told me they heard that they'll show the final at 5PM on radio-Canada..Can't wait :hearts:

Renalicious
Jul 20th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Nothing much more to say... :bigcry: Stupid knee!

Adal
Jul 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Serena :sad:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Wow Wozniak in the final, who would have thought but congrats :yeah:
So, what's with miss Williams?

serenus_2k8
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Rees knee was swollen during WTT when she pulled out and she was still OK. I hope she can rest and then play next week, but I would rather she withdrew and tried to play Montreal instead.

Jakeev
Jul 20th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Simply amazing stuff from Aleks! This is the best Tournament a Canadian woman has had since Patricia Hy made the QF at The US Open in 1992.:D

That's pretty huge considering it was a Slam. Wozniak I think is the first Canadian-born player to get to a significant non-Slam final since I think Helen Kelesi in 1990. (Patricia Hy was the last Canadian national in a WTA final in 1995)

Destiny
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
:smash:

AnywhereButHome
Jul 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
:kiss:

frontier
Jul 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Bartoli is playing amazing tennis,she will win this one

Corswandt
Jul 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Once Serena decided to play a full schedule/play for rankings, it was only a matter of time until she got injured.

And the odds of Bartoli also having to retire in the final are far from negligible; she hasn't played 5+ matches in a week without getting injured since - you've guessed it - Wimbledon 2007.

moby
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
no. she quit in the middle of a gs final:help:This might not be a good point to make in a thread about Serena... umm... quitting. :tape:

People retire when they have to. I doubt Wozniak is upset about Serena's retirement. Congrats to her; get well soon, Serena.

sharapovarulz1
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Shitty injuries :(

V-MAC
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Injurena indeed :(

Just Do It
Jul 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I demand RenaSlam to post here :(

Morrissey
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
We have to give the girl credit she DID win a set from Serena Williams and she WAS in a lead in the second set. So the result is fair. If Serena was too injured she SHOULD NOT of played the match and had a WALKOVER. A WALKOVER would of been better because it wouldn't be on her record. So now this girl has a win over Serena Williams.

serenus_2k8
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Serena doesnt care about stats etc though. A win due to retirement is meaningless. At least it shows that Injurena was willing to try.

Just as she was gaining serious momentum, her summer starts with an injury.

Slumpsova
Jul 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
at leas she didn't retire @ Mps like Stupidkova :rolleyes:

Dawson.
Jul 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM
:ras:

worst tier 2 finalist ever? :shrug:
even worse than duchvina! :lol:

FoxyliciousKhat
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
We have to give the girl credit she DID win a set from Serena Williams and she WAS in a lead in the second set. So the result is fair. If Serena was too injured she SHOULD NOT of played the match and had a WALKOVER. A WALKOVER would of been better because it wouldn't be on her record. So now this girl has a win over Serena Williams.

I doubt people are not giving credit, and while AW played well enough we must also recognise that Serena (or which ever top player might play with an injury) not playing their best so it's easy for the WC or qualifier to look awesome. And yes she stuck to her game and played well, but Serena also aiding in some of the games she won. Serena was also down a set and 0/2 in her first match but played her way through and won, I think she felt she could do the same yesterday but injury which probably was worse than she initially thought prevented her from playing on. I doubt Serena is worried that AW has a win over her in this circumstance because when and if they play again a healthy Serena will handle her business.

Foxy