PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Serena IS planning on playing LA

Mina Vagante
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Nothing about Serena Williams' utterly routine 6-3, 6-1 quarterfinal victory over Patty Schnyder deserves mention - other than it involved Serena Williams.

Williams' mere presence made it the match of the day at the Bank of the West Classic, even though it was the least compelling competition at Stanford on Friday.

If a tennis tournament is not a Grand Slam event, it is defined by the name recognition of its participants. And Williams defines this event.

She is still around, so the event remains viable. By leisurely advancing, she gives the tournament a marquee attraction again today when she plays qualifier Aleksandra Wozniak in the semifinals.

"It's such a relaxing tournament," Williams said afterward. "It's nice to play and not have too much stress."

The match was little more than a stroll in the park for Williams, and her biggest show of emotion afterward came when she learned that her sister Venus had pulled out of next week's Los Angeles tournament because of a wrist injury.

That brought a fist-pump and a "Yes" from Serena, who is scheduled to compete in Los Angeles next week.

"That's good news for me and everyone else in the draw," she said.
It also means next week's event will be defined by Serena's presence, just as the Bank of the West Classic is, even though the other matches Friday produced more interesting tennis and better story lines.

Wozniak, for instance, had to beat the same opponent twice in this tournament to get a chance to play Williams today. Wozniak defeated Samantha Stosur in straight sets in the qualifying tournament Sunday to earn a berth in the main draw, but when Lindsay Davenport withdrew, Stosur got into the main draw as a "lucky loser," the highest ranked player to lose in the final round of qualifying.

So, after both had won two rounds this week, Wozniak had to do it again Friday, knocking Stosur out of the tournament for good this time, 6-2, 5-7, 6-4.

"It was like, 'Hi again, here we are again,' " Wozniak said. "But I was glad to play her again."

Then there's Ai Sugiyama of Japan, who, at 33, is the oldest player ranked among the top 75. She fought off a triple match point to reach the semifinals.

"I still can't believe I came back from that position," she said.

After losing the first set, Sugiyama trailed Dominika Cibulkova 4-5, 0-40, but rallied to win 6-7 (4), 7-6 (5), 5-3, when Cibulkova called it quits with a leg injury, trailing 40-0 in the final game.

Cibulkova managed a chuckle during that final game when an interview transmitted from a fashion show taking place across campus was intercepted by the Taube Tennis Stadium public address system and was accidentally broadcast during play.

The interruption did not faze Sugiyama, who has been a pro for 18 years. She was a finalist in the 1995 Bank of the West tournament, which was then played in Oakland. That was so long ago Zina Garrison was one of Sugiyama's victims.

Sugiyama will try to become a finalist again 13 years later when she plays today's semifinal against No. 6-seed Marion Bartoli, the 2007 Wimbeledon runner-up who ousted No. 2-seed Anna Chakvetadze 6-3, 6-4.

Another win today would put Sugiyama into Sunday's finals, probably against Williams.

The Williams-Schnyder match had promise since Schnyder had won three of their five most recent meetings. But two of Schnyder's wins were on clay, and this tournament is on hard courts, a surface on which Williams had a 5-0 record against Schnyder. Before the afternoon crowd of 2,370 had settled in, Williams made it 6-0 on hard courts.

"It was definitely quick," Williams said.

The match lasted 54 minutes as Schnyder sprayed balls around, while Williams blew enough groundstrokes past the 29-year-old Swiss player to dominate the short rallies.

I hope she doesn't get too burnt out.. But if she's fit and healthy enough to then why not :shrug:. She knows she has no points to defend all summer and is probably trying to make the most of it :)

Dodoboy.
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
:haha:

Serena, that's quite rude. I hope she ignored the bit about wrist injury!

Wait, wrist injury so is that the official reason Vee is out :scared:

jonny84
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Bit mean for your sister. Lol. Hope Venus recovers soon and it doesnt hamper her Olympics bid.

Mina Vagante
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
:rolls: Serena :spit:

On another website is says a knee problem is the reason for Venus withdrawing :confused:

Miss Amor
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
wtf...serena's attitude :confused:

Mina Vagante
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
wtf...serena's attitude :confused:

I'm sure she didn't mean it like that :)

Miss Amor
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
^ ye I hope so too...she was just talking about the 'withdrawl' part not the injury part :D

FORZA SARITA
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
hope she said it smiling...if not:tape:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
SarcasticRena :hearts:

Dave.
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Did she actually fist pump? :rolls:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
:rolls: but there wasn't any doubt she was playing it...

3Dcool
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
She is overhelming. I don't think she should compete in LA.

tennnisfannn
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
That interview does not ring true, how is it that the press would know before Serena did that Venus was withdrawing???

kwilliams
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
^ Also I read that it was tendonitis in the knee, not a wrist injury!!!

eugreene2
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
ESPN is reporting "knee injury"

serenus_2k8
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Its definitely coz of her knee. It sounds like Ree is really angry at Vee for stealing her Wimb :lol:

Im sure it was probably sarcasm, or a joke since Vee beat her so recently.

Mina Vagante
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
^ Also I read that it was tendonitis in the knee, not a wrist injury!!!

Yeah, that's why I read also

hotandspicey
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Serena is playing Stanford with her right wrist taped up too. so there's something going on with the wrist. Hope Vee's injury is not too serious.

Craigy
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Serena is playing Stanford with her right wrist taped up too. so there's something going on with the wrist. Hope Vee's injury is not too serious.

Serena and Venus have their wrists taped up most of the time anyway. I'm not worried about Serena's wrist right now. There's been times she's had tape half was up her arm and she's still won easily. :lol:

hacberto
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Serena what a bitch!!!
It's your sister but I know this is good for Serena I think she only thinks her sister can be the only one who could beat her, nice attitude :lol:

Shakira4000
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM
gcyOoPDlSuU

Vamos.
She is obviously joking. :rolls:

People going insane over Serena's "attitude"...she is always like that in interviews, she makes weird little comments that sometimes pass people over...but she is joking. I reckon if we had a video of when she said this it would be blatantly obvious she was only kidding around.

:o

vw.
Serena and Venus have their wrists taped up most of the time anyway. I'm not worried about Serena's wrist right now. There's been times she's had tape half was up her arm and she's still won easily. :lol:

Yeah. I was very surprised to see Venus have her wrists WITHOUT tape for 6 of her Wimbledon matches.
Remember 07 Miami? Serena had so much tape on her right arm!

serenus_2k8
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Talk about a jinx thread :o