PDA

View Full Version : Stanford QF: Ai Sugiyama def. Dominika Cibulkova 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 5-3 40-0 ret.

AJZ.
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
OMG! I'm so proud of Ai :) She was down 6-7 2-5, and at one point was down 0-40 three match points and managed to pull it out :eek: Just absolutely amazing, Ai!
You still have a Tier II SF in you :worship: And it's not yet done!!!
You played so well Ai :hearts: :inlove: :bounce: What a comeback!

Domi :hug: These things happen. And the way it finished. What? :confused:

young_gunner913
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Good match towards the end from Ai. She cut down on her errors and her game matched up well against Domi's.

Congrats Ai!! :hug::hearts:

Can someone tell what the heck was with all the stalling? I was watching livestream.

But Domi, retiring down triple match point was very tasteless.

RenaSlam.
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Wow. Great for Ai.

I was pulling for her, she's a consummate sportswoman and professional and truly gives her all out on the court.

Who does she play next?

CrossCourt~Rally
Ai:hearts:... always a fighter till the end!!!:rocker2:

Domi << :hug:

frenchie
NO actually Cibulkova retired at 5/3 40/OO!!!!!!!!

she couldn't move because of cramps

vw.
Congrats Ai!!!

Elldee
Retired At Matchpoint? Should've let sugi ace her. The 30-something shows her amazing fitness levels once again.

Ai! Ai! Ai!

tenn_ace
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I think Cibulkova retired on a match point so technically it is 6-7 7-6 5-3ret

starin
did she retire on triple match point down. lol. WOW
i've never heard of that before.

IanRadi
It wasn't 6-3, Domi retired losing 3-5 0-40 :o

I'm really worried, she can't even walk! She was like jumping because of the pain on her left knee. I think she was crying too. :unsure:

Anyway, great match Sugi. :yeah:

tenn_ace
a lot of drama at the end of the match... too bad couldn't hear what was going on

Marty-Dom
What was that drama at the end? 40:0 three match points down, she quits and goes in the books as loss by retirement? All she had to do was to stand there while Ai serves one more point. That was weird.

RenaSlam.
Are you kidding me? She retired 3-5 0-40 down in the third set? BARF.

AndreConrad
At the end it seemed that Domi had a problem with her foot or leg.... hope it is not serious ...congrats Ai :yeah:

Sund7101
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM
WOW!!! Incredible comeback Ai, you've still got it! :worship:

Amazing stuff!

JeLeNaJfAn
Poor Cibu, she can´t go to the handshake at the end...
Recover soon! All the best for you!:sad:

AND NOW AI, please reach the FINAL
...against SERENA:worship:

vw.
She retired at 3-5 0-40... :weirdo: just stand at the baseline and let one of Ai's serves go past you.

FORZA SARITA
Ai:yeah:
why the hell Domi retired down 0/40 :smash:

pcrtennis
She couldn't just stand and let Ai serve it? That was weird..........

That. was. an. incredible. win.

She was down a set and 5-2 and then 0-40 and fought it out! At 33 years of age she wore down one of the young grinders!!! HAHA to everyone who said she couldn't outlast a player like Cibulkova, once again she proves everyone wrong!

WHAT AN EFFORT!

Paul.
That is absolutely ridiculous that she retired at match point down. She should have let Ai serve an ace. I'm really surprised. Obviously I don't know the story because I didn't see the match but that is probably the most classless thing a player could possibly do in a tennis match.

Apologies if she had a good reason (e.g. she passed out, her face fell off etc.) or the score is just wrong :lol:

Anyway, congratulations Ai!! What a fantastic comeback and incredible win for the veteran :):hug:

starin
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
What was that drama at the end? 40:0 three match points down, she quits and goes in the books as loss by retirement? All she had to do was to stand there while Ai serves one more point. That was weird.

seriously so lame. She's already triple match point down. she just has to stand or sit down and let Sugi ace her. no big deal.

Agata.
it's a pity one of them had too lose :sad:

well done Ai :) you're such a great player
Domi :hug:

did Domi retired at 5:3 40-0 in the final set? it's strange she didn't wait this one point :confused:

Slutiana
Did she break her leg? No. So she could have had the class to stand for one more point and if she feeling the pain so much, let her ace her. Very unprofessional.

Natash.
OMG! I'm so proud of Ai :) She was down 6-7 2-5, and at one point was down 0-40 three match points and managed to pull it out :eek: Just absolutely amazing, Ai!
You still have a Tier II SF in you :worship: And it's not yet done!!!
You played so well Ai :hearts: :inlove: :bounce: What a comeback!

Domi :hug: These things happen. But that injury timeout at 5-3 :o Terrible. And the way it finished. What? :confused:

That injury timeout looked much more than just stalling. :o

frenchie
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
she was cramping badly or her leg was very painfull

but she definitely should have taken an ace to finish the match

pcrtennis
It was obviously extremely painful for her but she was already at the baseline waiting for return...she robbed Ai of a celebration, but Ai, as usual, was very sporting at the end.

Lunaris
Cramps got Cibulkova again. I cannot count how often I saw that before. She ought to do something with it. Besides that I must say her ability to waste 3 BP's in a row is remarkable. She did it twice today, 3 times against Petrova and at least once against Bondarenko.

Slutiana
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Go Ai. :banana: She still has it!

Craig.
What a loser :o

Overrated and a pussy much? :o

Just lost all respect I might've had for her.

Congrats Ai! Still going strong :bounce:

IanRadi
She retired at 3-5 0-40... :weirdo: just stand at the baseline and let one of Ai's serves go past you.

You definetely didn't watch the end of the match, did you? After Ai wins the 30-0 point, Domi stays in the middle of her side of the court crying and jumping because she couldn't even walk. Her left knee was seriously injured. :unsure:

Marionated
Ai :worship: you are amazing.
Domi seriously, all you had to do was let her ace you.

RenaSlam.
Terrible sportsmanship. There's no excuse for that. This is worse than Enna's effort at the AO.

Pathetic.

Slutati
LOL Dominika :weirdo: She really could've let Ai hit an ace to end it but whatever, I still love you :kiss:
Congrats, Ai :clap2:

LefandePatty
Congratulations Ai, such a great win ! :bowdown: :worship: :banana:

Domi, you could have let her finish the match.. :rolleyes:

Natash.
I can't believe some people are commenting without even seeing the match. :lol:

She could barely move. Maybe shouldn't have retired but we don't know the full story. She couldn't stand to be on that court much less her own two legs. Give her a break.

pcrtennis
FOr the record, she didn't start cramping until Ai had the match in hand, the cramps WERE NOT a reason for the result. Ai wore her down.

LindsayRulz
It's not a good sign to see someone retire like that, when only one point left to the match. Cibulkova must be really badly injured :unsure:.

tenn_ace
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM
those who watched will probably understand that Cibulkova did try to "stand" and let Ai serve but just couldn't

Dodoboy.

Unless you saw her please don't talk like that!

She was seriously hurt and if i was hurt the last thing i would be thinking about is how am i going to make this loss look prettier :lol:

sammy01
ai well done, amazing fight and guts, 32 but shows that there are very few fitter on tour!

domi you have just gained a hater, that was not on having a time out before ai served for the match then retiring at 3mps down, just let ai serve an ace past you and lose the right way because the fitter woman won and the consumate pro, sugi would never have done what domi did but sugi's a class act!!!!!!!!!

Natash.
Terrible sportsmanship. There's no excuse for that. This is worse than Enna's effort at the AO.

Pathetic.

You have no idea what happened.

A Serena fan talking about terrible sportsmanship. :ras:

pcrtennis
I can't believe some people are commenting without even seeing the match. :lol:

She could barely move. Maybe shouldn't have retired but we don't know the full story. She couldn't stand to be on that court much less her own two legs. Give her a break.

she was already waiting to return, she was standing...."she could barely move" didn't seem to stop her from hobbling around and hopping....it's not like she was quivering on the ground...:rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
not a fan of Ciblukova but she really did look in a lot of pain

TennisPlayingFox
Way to fight Ai! Saving three match points in the second! Great effort! Good luck in the semis! Domi was clearing hurting but she was already in position to return serve. Oh well, if she felt the pain was that bad that she couldn't stay on the court for one more serve then that's her call. Hope whatever it was that's troubling her get's better soon.

vw.
You definetely didn't watch the end of the match, did you? After Ai wins the 30-0 point, Domi stays in the middle of her side of the court crying and jumping because she couldn't even walk. Her left knee was seriously injured. :unsure:

Then it's my bad then. Did she get carried off by a strecher? Or just supported by the trainer?

Just Do It
She retired @ MP ? :spit:

GoDominique
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Here we go again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, Cibulkova could have stood/sat/lain there and let Ai ace her. She decided not to, and WHY NOT? No one cares. Ai certainly doesn't. She won and is into the next round. She wore her opponent down to the point that she couldn't continue. That's all she can do. Would saving one more ace against a helpless opponent give her more satisfaction? No.

So please, you damn naive morons, shut the f up.

Natash.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
she was already waiting to return, she was standing...."she could barely move" didn't seem to stop her from hobbling around and hopping....it's not like she was quivering on the ground...:rolleyes:

She wasn't hopping around. If one of your Asian players had broken a nail and retired, you would have called it a serious injury. :rolleyes:

itzhak
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I saw the last point, she coudn't move at all, she tried to get back to the line but she just could not stand, there was no point of playing more, she was close to collapse...

Dawson.
when i first read this, i thought cibulkova was a bad sport for not letting sugiyama winning one more point. but if she was not able to move because of the pain, well i gues that makes it more acceptable, i didnt have her down as a bad sport which is why it shocked me when i first read it. get well done domi

well done ai! :yeah: now beat jokevetadze or fatoli in the semis :yeah:

Whitehead's Boy
My God, this is just some stupid match in a Tier 2, what difference does it make if she retires at match point; she did not rob any "special" celebration to Ai. It's not the first time Sugiyama makes the semi-final of a Tier II.

Now, if it was a Grand Slam final...

tenn_ace
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
not sure what Sugyama fans are so mad about.. nobody is taking anything away from her win. just leave cibulkova alone. she CLEARLY was in pain.

soomaal
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Way to go Ai!!!!!

empressionist
i remember a fed cup match last year cibulkova played against jankovic, when they were both cramping so terribly, and jelena was down and couldn't get up, and when she did cibulkova could do nothing more then serve, jelena won that match, but it was drama all over the place (please just dont say it's typical jelena-drama-queen stuff), it was really intense, and i guess dominica has had cramoing problems before this match...

but to retire at a match point?? she could just lay down, and let Ai serve an easy ace, that would be a good sport...

RenaSlam.

Serena has nothing to do with this, once again. :topic:

Marty-Dom
Dominika made her way to the base line after losing the point before at the net. She did look in pain, but Ai was ready to serve and Dominika was in place when she suddenly started to walk toward the net. She didn't collapse or anything like it. She just needed 3 more seconds to finish the match. I can't wait for the interview.

young_gunner913
Here we go again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, Cibulkova could have stood/sat/lain there and let Ai ace her. She decided not to, and WHY NOT? No one cares. Ai certainly doesn't. She won and is into the next round. She wore her opponent down to the point that she couldn't continue. That's all she can do. Would saving one more ace against a helpless opponent give her more satisfaction? No.

So please, you damn naive morons, shut the f up.

She was stalling at 15-0. She should've retired right then and there if she was in that much pain. To retire at 40-0 is a b*tch move.

GoDominique
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
she robbed Ai of a celebration, but Ai, as usual, was very sporting at the end.
And that's why Ai would have had a wild celebration if they had played the match-point while her opponent cries and can't move. :rolleyes:

sammy01
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
oh and for the people saying you didn't see it, i did, she was stood ready to return got cramp walked forward hopped about made ai wait then decided to retire, she managed to walk to her chair, so she could have managed to play 1 more point, it was truely pathetic!

starin
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
:eek: AI won this running match. Amazing :worship:
she truly is the iron woman of the WTA tour.

GoDominique
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
she could just lay down, and let Ai serve an easy ace, that would be a good sport...
Yes, that would have been just awesome.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sylvester
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM
First of all, Sugiyama :worship:

Once again she shows she's WAY far from being done.

About Cibulkova, her attitude was just stupid and I was watching the match. And people talk about Michelle's actions...

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Why did she even play the last game, she should've just retired before she went down mp. Just looks really silly to retire like that.

young_gunner913
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
:eek: AI won this running match. Amazing :worship:
she truly is the iron woman of the WTA tour.

Like I told you yesterday, she's fast. :lol:

Lunaris
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
So she retired at MP, that's really a big deal. Players in such situation often aren't aware what's the score and the last thing they care about is being sporty. People on this board always bitch about such silly things. Venus on court 2 and now this. Get a life pls.

Natash.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
oh and for the people saying you didn't see it, i did, she was stood ready to return got cramp walked forward hopped about made ai wait then decided to retire, she managed to walk to her chair, so she could have managed to play 1 more point, it was truely pathetic!

:lol:

You really shouldn't talk.

starin
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Like I told you yesterday, she's fast. :lol:

i knew she was fast but I thought it would be a long match and eventually Ai would physically wear down but it was Cibulkova who did. And AI is like 31 while CIbulkova's 20 or something. Amazing by Sugiyama.

Harvs
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
OMG BITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTCH!

that is so wrong.

u suck domi.

well done ai:)

дalex
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I find it amazing that Domi wasn't able to save any of 5 BPs on her serve. :eek:
[if those stats I saw are accurate?]

Congrats to Ai! :worship:

VishaalMaria
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Immature. This has got nothing to do with Serena; try and respond with a little class.

I dont see why Cibulkova couldnt play one last point and finish the match off, unless someone from the crowd chopped her legs off [God forbid]. To me, in this instance, I cant think of anything practical that could have prevented her from playing one last point; that much she should have done since the match was such a marathon. I can't help but think it was way too classless, but lets see what Cibulkovas has to say for herself.

sammy01
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
:lol:

You really shouldn't talk.

:rolleyes: yeah because i shouldn't have an opinion on a forum, oh wait yes i should it should just be the opinion people precieve as right!

jonny84
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Interesting end to the match. I agree with everyone - Ai should have just aced her.

Cp6uja
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks to fact that Dominika retire at triple match point this match will never be forgotten and tommorow will be news even in media which not folowing WTA tournaments... so why people complain :confused:

WTA winning Formula for future:
WOMANS TENNIS = BEST SOAP OPERA EVER :rocker2:

That's sells the tickets ;)

Natash.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Immature. This has got nothing to do with Serena; try and respond with a little class.

I dont see why Cibulkova couldnt play one last point and finish the match off, unless someone from the crowd chopped her legs off [God forbid]. To me, in this instance, I cant think of anything practical that could have prevented her from playing one last point; that much she should have done since the match was such a marathon. I can't help but think it was way too classless, but lets see what Cibulkovas has to say for herself.

But I don't see why some people are calling a person classless for retiring down 40-0 in a match. She didn't spit at Ai nor did she throw a ball at her on purpose. A person they probably know nothing about except from a few good results. Dominika is a good sport and always gives it her all.

zveeen
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM
well done Ai :)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Ai :banana: Nice win :woohoo: :aparty:

Cibulkova :rolleyes:

VishaalMaria
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I already realized my mistake in mentioning Serena.

But I don't see why some people are calling a person classless for retiring down 40-0 in a match. She didn't spit at Ai nor did she throw a ball at her on purpose. A person they probably know nothing about except from a few good results. Dominika is a good sport and always gives it her all.

People are calling it classless because it IS classless; it is what is is.

I've read what posters [that saw the match] had to say about the ending, and they all said Cibulkova was waiting to recieve but then walked towards the net to retire from the match; she could have played that point to end the match but she didnt = CLASSLESS.

And people can make an argument for her behaviour by saying she's young, but even at her age she should at least have had the sense to play one last point.

Craig.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM
:haha: What a loser. She couldn't just stand there 5 more seconds and watch Ai ace her? And yet... she was still able to hop around (and yes, I saw the match, you overly defensive fans :rolleyes:) and walk to her chair. Talk about lame.

Congrats Ai. Still going strong! :bounce:

Lunaris
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:27 PM
This thread is probably the best example of herd behaviour I have ever seen.

Vincey!
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Domi :(..What was that stupid thing of retiring at 5-3 40-0?? Let her hit an ace and go back to the locker room to get treated..Anyway I hope you'll get better soon :awww: :hug:

COngrats Ai :eek::worship:

Natash.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM

I've read what posters [that saw the match] had to say about the ending, and they all said Cibulkova was waiting to recieve but then walked towards the net to retire from the match; she could have played that point to end the match but she didnt = CLASSLESS.

And people can make an argument for her behaviour by saying she's young, but even at her age she should at least have had the sense to play one last point.

And what if she's in a stretcher? :haha: :lol: Totally unlikely but then what will you say? :p

I should have reacted better towards some posters.

I've already said that I don't believe she should have retired down 40-0. I don't think it's classless though but it's your opinion. She didn't rob anything from Ai, didn't take anything away from her. Ai is too much of a nice lady to celebrate seeing Dominika hurt. And if Ai was in pain and decided to retire down 40-0, I don't think Dominika would do a celebration dance either. :shrug:

Poova
Jeez, get over it people. I doubt Ai really gives a shit, or thinks that Domi is a bitch or anything. She's in the next round no matter what. :o

Congrats to Ai! :worship:

young_gunner913

:worship: Well said.

Costanza
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
:spit::haha:
Only in WTA:tape:

VishaalMaria
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
And what if she's in a stretcher? :haha: :lol: Totally unlikely but then what will you say? :p

I should have reacted better towards some posters.

I've already said that I don't believe she should have retired down 40-0. I don't think it's classless though but it's your opinion. She didn't rob anything from Ai, didn't take anything away from her. Ai is too much of a nice lady to celebrate seeing Dominika hurt. And if Ai was in pain and decided to retire down 40-0, I don't think Dominika would do a celebration dance either. :shrug:

But she wasnt in a stretcher though was she? Thats the point. She could have played one more point.

You play a three set match where you save a couple of match points [showcasing your effort and fight] and then have three match points of your own where, your opponent suddenly retires? Anyone on this planet would feel robbed.

Ai was obviously robbed; instead of ultimately winning the match with her effort and fight she won with a retirement.

Escape
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Congrats Ai :)
I'm a Domi fan, but she could have at least let Ai win another point :o

Natash.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:40 PM
But she wasnt in a stretcher though was she? Thats the point. She could have played one more point.

You play a three set match where you save a couple of match points [showcasing your effort and fight] and then have three of your own where, your opponent suddenly retires? Anyone on this planet would feel robbed.

Ai was obviously robbed.

I don't think Ai was robbed of anything. She won the match. That's all that matters for her I hope unless she planned on having a drink and partying.

EDIT: Congrats to Ai on her fight and for hanging tough. She didn't her best until near the end. Good luck against Chakky/Bartoli. :)

AndreConrad
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM

I agree that it appears classless. However I always saw Domi being a fighter, unless I missed some incident in the past something like that never happened to her. In fact just the opposite, she always fought to the end. This is why I think there may be more to the story :shrug:. Let's not be so quick to judge someone

LudwigDvorak
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Glatch, Hantuchova, Cibulkova for a TII semifinal. Not too shabby.

Good win. I thought it was over after Cibulkova got triple match point, but Ai sent this overrated dwarf home. Finally some good news for me in Stanford.

Sugiyama/Chakvetadze semifinal...Anna is going to defend her title. :lol:

Il Primo!
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Dominika is such an idiot. I mean, retiring at 5-3 40-0 is just disrespectful. You can badrep my ass as much as you want, she is a twat for this.

VishaalMaria
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I agree that it appears classless. However I always saw Domi being a fighter, unless I missed some incident in the past something like that never happened to her. In fact just the opposite, she always fought to the end. This is why I think there may be more to the story :shrug:. Let's not be so quick to judge someone

I feel I've obtained enough information to make my comments, or "Judge" as you put it. Lets see what Dominka has to say; should be interesting.

VishaalMaria
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I don't think Ai was robbed of anything. She won the match. That's all that matters for her I hope unless she planned on having a drink and partying.

EDIT: Congrats to Ai on her fight and for hanging tough. She didn't her best until near the end. Good luck against Chakky/Bartoli. :)

My point still stands.

You play a three set match where you save a couple of match points [showcasing your effort and fight] and then have three match points of your own where, your opponent suddenly retires? Anyone on this planet would feel robbed.

Wouldnt you?

Dave.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I doubt Domi would have left like that unless she was in severe pain (which according to people who saw the match, she was) If it was cramping, why the hell should she stand around waiting for Ai to serve to her. And nobody considered the possibility of Ai double-faulting even? i doubt Ai cares how it finished as she's gone through and that's all that matters. If Domi was in real pain she has every right to leave the court. She is such a sweet person off the court i doubt she'd do this to spite Ai.

So all you people with "Cibulkova" :rolleyes: shut up, you know you wouldn't do it if it was your fave. :o

Dave.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Oh and yes Ai is amazing, a true inspiration to the tour. :worship: I hope she reaches the final!

AmeDevotee
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Ai: :yeah: :hug:

vadin124
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM
tasteless Cibulkova...she could have just let Ai ace her, and give her that winning feeling...

looks like i have a new player on my official hated list...Tati and Wickmayer are getting lonely

young_gunner913
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I doubt Domi would have left like that unless she was in severe pain (which according to people who saw the match, she was) If it was cramping, why the hell should she stand around waiting for Ai to serve to her. And nobody considered the possibility of Ai double-faulting even? i doubt Ai cares how it finished as she's gone through and that's all that matters. If Domi was in real pain she has every right to leave the court. She is such a sweet person off the court i doubt she'd do this to spite Ai.

So all you people with "Cibulkova" :rolleyes: shut up, you know you wouldn't do it if it was your fave. :o

Because she was stalling the whole game. She was stalling, hopping and limping around after every point. She should've just retired after the first or second point but she wanted to keep going.

It's very classless to wait until match point to retire. No way around it.

Mightymirza
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM

maybe She couldnt risk the prospect of Ai Double faulting a lot of times :lol: She did have handful of thiose in thi s match :lol:

Lulu.
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:21 PM
What a bitch. She could of stood there and let Ai ace her. :rolleyes:

The Daviator
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
WTF? What a ridiculous time to retire, the match was over, Domi :o

Ai :D

young_gunner913
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
maybe She couldnt risk the prospect of Ai Double faulting a lot of times :lol: She did have handful of thiose in thi s match :lol:

I'm sure Ai would've known she was doing and being a professional tennis player, been able to have managed to hit even a 10 mph floater in. :rolleyes:

Mikey B
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
wow, low retirement or what! but it seems she was seriously injured and couldnt do anymore, so i'll give her the benifit of the doubt... congrats ai! still rocking it, into the semi's but still could go further with bartoli or a chak waiting for her... wish i could have watched it to see what happened at the end, is it a first for tennis to have someone retire at match point down???

King Of Tennis
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
i don't understand Cibulkova...but great job Sugiyama... :D:D

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I am seriously so tired of reading this bullshit.

Jumping all over Cibulkova, and not even half of you saw the match. Much less, I bet none of you have ever had to walk with a cramp like that, and possibly risk Ai double faulting, or getting hit with the ball because she couldn't move out of the path. Some people are just rude; and I have lost a lot of respect for the people that have jumped all over Dominika. The girl was in pain, and could barely move. Much less, she had nothing to gain on that, and pride to lose. Think about that shit for a minute. THINK ABOUT IT.

Match point, and you can't even move. 15-0, and you can barely move. 30-0, and you can barely move. That almost makes me cry when I think about it. It was just a absolute disaster. And you know. . . NO ONE has even took into consideration that she didn't intend on retiring after the first couple of points because she wanted to respect Ai, and just let her win. But that the cramps became too much in the end. Respect her decision, and shut up. None of you are Dominika, and none of you were feeling her pain. Stop criticizing her for her decision, a decision that probably saved her career.

Good Decision Domi. I'm still a definite, hardcore fan.

Mikey B
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm still a definite, hardcore fan.

i agreed with your post till i read this, you are a hardcore fan so your opinion is biased, just like the sugi fans will be biased agaisnt domi... but like you said not everyone here saw the match, so most are just going on whats been said here, myself included, which has painted a bad picture of domi so far...

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Mikey B, I completely respect your opinion.

And yes, you are right. Perhaps I am biased, but I am happy for Ai, just heartbroken Domi had to go out that way.

keinimod
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Dominika did the only sensible, mature and professional thing : not risking any further injury.
Why would Ai care about that one point anyway ? The match was won, she gets to the next round, she'll probably have forgotten before tonight that she got to play one point less. It counts as a win just as much as 6-3 would have. There's no difference.
Much ado about nothing, the old bard would say.

VishaalMaria
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I am seriously so tired of reading this bullshit.

Jumping all over Cibulkova, and not even half of you saw the match. Much less, I bet none of you have ever had to walk with a cramp like that, and possibly risk Ai double faulting, or getting hit with the ball because she couldn't move out of the path. Some people are just rude; and I have lost a lot of respect for the people that have jumped all over Dominika. The girl was in pain, and could barely move. Much less, she had nothing to gain on that, and pride to lose. Think about that shit for a minute. THINK ABOUT IT.

Match point, and you can't even move. 15-0, and you can barely move. 30-0, and you can barely move. That almost makes me cry when I think about it. It was just a absolute disaster. And you know. . . NO ONE has even took into consideration that she didn't intend on retiring after the first couple of points because she wanted to respect Ai, and just let her win. But that the cramps became too much in the end. Respect her decision, and shut up. None of you are Dominika, and none of you were feeling her pain. Stop criticizing her for her decision, a decision that probably saved her career.

Good Decision Domi. I'm still a definite, hardcore fan.

The same thing could have happened at any other point after 5-3 in the final set, so why did she retire 0-40 down? Why not at 5-3, before the start of the ninth game? If she "survived" three points [to go down love-40], she could have played one more point by just standing there and letting Ai ace her or something....I'm sure DC wouldnt have been worse off by playing one more point. She should have played that one more point to respect Ai, but she didnt. So, no, no respect from her behalf.

Rude? Losing respect? Just because people have a different opinion than yours it doesnt mean that they are rude, or you should have less respect for them. That's just immature from your part.

Optima
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM
That's crazy. If she walked/limped/hopped to her chair, whatever, she could have stood there and be aced. Not cool, not cool.

Ai :yeah: Beat Chaky!

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM
But from what I heard, she was not in position. And there is risk in walking with a cramp. And so. . . I still think that retiring was best. And I wish Domi a fast and healthy recovery.

Dave.
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Because she was stalling the whole game. She was stalling, hopping and limping around after every point. She should've just retired after the first or second point but she wanted to keep going.

Cramp is a very harsh injury. It comes and goes and it probably got her bad before the 40-0 point. She was probably stalling to shake it off but it still comes back.

What if Sugiyama doublefaulted and prolonged Cibulkova's pain?

and i hate the way you all thinks it's acceptable to just stand there and be aced. Even I, as a club player, would never walk up to the line with the intention of losing the point. Domi is a professional and has trained all her life, I doubt it didn't even cross her mind to let a serve go by.

RJWCapriati
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:39 AM
hell i would have stood there and let Ai win that last point......or hey maybe even just took a chair out there and sat there .......

saint2
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Sorry, but...never seen such a weird scoreline...:lol::lol::lol:

ninanina19
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I bet $80 on this match and Dominika retired just before I could lose it all :spit: .

Lunaris
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Imagine this situation, people. You are about to serve and your opponent can barely stand. Would you like to ace him? Would you feel any satisfaction if you did it? I wouldn't to be honest.

Dave.
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Imagine this situation, people. You are about to serve and your opponent can barely stand. Would you like to ace him? Would you feel any satisfaction if you did it? I wouldn't to be honest.

Exactly. By getting into that 5-3 40-0 lead, Ai had already pretty much earned the win.

And she has won 472 singles matches and 521 doubles matches in her career, I doubt she's crying over not getting the winning feeling in this match. :lol:

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:55 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

sammy01
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:07 AM
im sorry but domi could have played 1 more point, it wasn't carrer threating, she played 3 in the same pain to get to 0-40, the only reason to default at the stage was because she was a sore loser who knew she had lost and inturn it was direspectful to ai.

also people saying she couldn't carry on, lol its cramp not the end of the world, we've all had it i've played throuh it before and lost, venus had that match in warsaw were she could barely move in the 3rd set with cramp and won. you can play through cramp, its a bitch it kills. domi just got to the point where she knew she wasn't going to win (im sure she felt she still had a small chance at 3-5 final set) and at 0-40 denied ai finishing a win she had earned.

IanRadi
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Ai Sugiyama, with 33 years, wins an endless match coming back from 2-5 in the second set after losing the first one.

Now this is definetely a lesson for all those teens that can't win or even finish a three sets match after losing the first one or whatever, isn't it?.

Sugi :worship:

Optima
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Tennis is a game, you can't be sympathetic in all cases. Champions do what it takes to win. That being said, I still don't think it's right to retire on match point. Just hit a ball into the net.

Pheobo
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Ai :worship:

Too bad about cibulkova.

Sorana_Cirstea
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Cramps are different for different people. Pain is different for many people, and no one here can judge whether or not she was in that much pain but her. That said, I think she had plans of finishing that match. But the pain became too intense, and she just couldn't. I respect the decision, and I would make the same one if I ever had to.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:27 AM
The scoreline :lol:

young_gunner913
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:30 AM

It's not about satisfaction. It's about respect. Respect for Ai, the audience and the game. With all the theatrics Cibulkova was doing during that last game, the least thing she could've done was stand there and finish the match. Had she not wasted all of her energy hopping, walking around the court and prolonging Ai from serving, maybe the match would have been completed without the retirement.

Slumpsova
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:31 AM
stupid bitch :o
no excuse for cramping crap, please. she is sore loser who can't handle the fact that she is losing. that's why she retired at a triple match points :rolleyes:

Natash.
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM
It's not about satisfaction. It's about respect. Respect for Ai, the audience and the game. With all the theatrics Cibulkova was doing during that last game, the least thing she could've done was stand there and finish the match. Had she not wasted all of her energy hopping, walking around the court and prolonging Ai from serving, maybe the match would have been completed without the retirement.

Theatrics? :haha: She isn't the only player. You couldn't even hear her. :ras: I remember you trying to figure out what was going on in the OOP thread. :shrug: She wasn't prolonging anything. She wasn't feeling well. Of course, people are still going to think she was trying to be malicious when they know nothing about her. :rolleyes:

young_gunner913
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Theatrics? :haha: She isn't the only player. You couldn't even hear her. :ras: I remember you trying to figure out what was going on in the OOP thread. :shrug: She wasn't prolonging anything. She wasn't feeling well. Of course, people are still going to think she was trying to be malicious when they know nothing about her. :rolleyes:

Ai was ready to serve numerous times and Dominka stood there and then would walk off. Then go back, stand there, then walk off. I'm not saying Cibulkova was being malicious but I think it's just flat out classless to retire at 40-0. That's my opinion, I'm allowed to have my opinion as are you.

Natash.
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:38 AM
im sorry but domi could have played 1 more point, it wasn't carrer threating, she played 3 in the same pain to get to 0-40, the only reason to default at the stage was because she was a sore loser who knew she had lost and inturn it was direspectful to ai.

also people saying she couldn't carry on, lol its cramp not the end of the world, we've all had it i've played throuh it before and lost, venus had that match in warsaw were she could barely move in the 3rd set with cramp and won. you can play through cramp, its a bitch it kills. domi just got to the point where she knew she wasn't going to win (im sure she felt she still had a small chance at 3-5 final set) and at 0-40 denied ai finishing a win she had earned.

:lol: Again.

Robert-KimClijst
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Should've played one more point. :o Congrats Ai! :)

Really pathetic ffrom Domi. Even if she was hurt, one more point would not have killed her.

Natash.
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Ai was ready to serve numerous times and Dominka stood there and then would walk off. Then go back, stand there, then walk off. I'm not saying Cibulkova was being malicious but I think it's just flat out classless to retire at 40-0. That's my opinion, I'm allowed to have my opinion as are you.

Of course. :wavey:

sammy01
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:47 AM
:lol: Again.

you keep quoting me and not having a response, also you replied a million times in this thread protesting domi wasn't classless, we get it but a lot of us think otherwise, its our opinion let us have it :wavey:

Pasta-Na
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM
ai :yeah:

Malva
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:15 AM
By thinking about this whole affair, while reading posts pro and contra Cibulková, I can't help but conclude that Cibulková's decision to retire on the Match Point was deliberate, and not because precisely at the Match Point she reached the limit of her physical endurance. I certainly find this line of defence of Cibulková, according to which she could not suffer even for a few more seconds, unconvincing.

Her decision to retire I see as a signal that she indeed preferred the match to be recorded as a match she lost being deprived of equal chances due to her cramps.

She could have allowed Sugiyama to finish the match, I have no doubts about that, but she chose not to for the reasons stated.

And I actually understand that point of view assuming that she was indeed handicapped by her cramps. Moreover, in such a situation, I wouldn't consider such a decision unsportsmanly, considering that the match was very close up to that point.

I suppose what I wrote above is neither going to satisfy Cibulková's detractors nor her supporters.

kwilliams
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM

Do you mean hobbling? How could she jump but not walk?

I agree that she should've just stood there and not returned the serve. Ai deserved that much.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
As much as I like Domi, never thought she could be a little 'bitch'.:lol:
:hug: Hopefully we'll see you next season then.:shrug: since it is said that your knee is seriously injured.:o

Ai :worship: :banana: :yeah: :D :bounce:

MatchpointPRT
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Sorry but i dont understand how she resisted to the pain untill the triple match point and couldnt resist 30 seconds more... bad loser.

nashi
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
what a loser:o

TheFifthAvocado
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:56 AM
This scoreline is something you only hear in jokes :lol:

Good job Ai.

azza
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:59 AM
lol Cramping after 76 67 and women shud get paid equal prizemoney lmfao :rolls: :lol:

moby
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:07 AM
and i hate the way you all thinks it's acceptable to just stand there and be aced. Even I, as a club player, would never walk up to the line with the intention of losing the point. Domi is a professional and has trained all her life, I doubt it didn't even cross her mind to let a serve go by. Word. Although I can completely see Patty letting a serve go by if she's in one of her moods. ;)

I doubt Ai gives a damn how she won the match. It would be nice if Domi played that last point - it's just one point after all - but who cares?

young_gunner913
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM
lol Cramping after 76 67 and women shud get paid equal prizemoney lmfao :rolls: :lol:

don't even start that bs in here.

Sorana_Cirstea
Actually, yeah.. They do.

This match today, although it had the controversial ending, had some absolutely phenomenal points. And yes, Domi may have caused a lot of controversy, but I bet you that people, including myself, will be absolutely amazed by some of the plays that they/I see in highlight videos. But emotionally involved as well, when they see Domi crying in pain at the end. I don't know if I would call it an epic, especially without seeing it, but from what I heard it was a match well worth watching. And it also proved why women deserve equal prize money.

Robert-KimClijst

It's not as much the fact that playing that one match point would give Ai a load of happiness. Cibulkova should have played that last point out of respect to Ai, the crowd, and tennis itself. Also, I think Ai would have felt better winning the match 63 in the third knowing Cibulkova couldn't play the last point than winning with a retirement and not getting to hit that last ball.

Sure, it's Ai the veteran that won't get too upset over the retirement, but I don't think that makes it any better.

Josh.
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Choke much Dominka? :cuckoo:

pcrtennis
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM

she didn't start cramping until the very end, close to three hours in the heat.

Golovinjured.
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Can't believe she didn't play the last point. She could have just been walkng to her chair while Ai could have finished it off. It's really unbelievable.

I guess the cramps must have been really bad and painful, but I'm sure that looking back, if Domi had the chance again she would let Ai win the match the right way.

TheFifthAvocado
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Not that it matters that much but this won't even be considered Sugiyama's win in their H2H. Right?

Noctis
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Domi :o really unfair tp Ai

Noctis
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Not that it matters that much but this won't even be considered Sugiyama's win in their H2H. Right?

it will :P

TheFifthAvocado
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:34 AM
What about that thing in Venus and Serena's H2H. :confused:

RND
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I had to go to sleep when Ai couldn't take it at 5-4* 30:30 in the first set.It wasn't a good start for her,a lot of error coming especially from her backhand,but she still managed to pick up her form degree by dgree and pulled off the upset. :D

Retiring down 3 MPs? :confused: :tape:

Noctis
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:36 AM
What about that thing in Venus and Serena's H2H. :confused:

it only count and scores if their actually played,but retires

TheFifthAvocado
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ohhh. TY.

:Wasteofpost:

dropshot13th
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
congrats ai

Goai
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Go Ai :D

Experimentee
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Unless Domi couldnt stand up she should have played match point. From what I have read she was standing on her feet, so she should have finished. If she was feeling the pain she should have retired at 5-3 instead of getting down 3 mps before deciding to retire.

Not that any of it matters to Ai or takes away from her win as I am sure she doesn't care if she served one more ace or not.

PatrickRyan
Jul 19th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Ai :hug: :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
Jul 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM
NO actually Cibulkova retired at 5/3 40/OO!!!!!!!!

she couldn't move because of cramps

Cramps? Then let your opponent ace you or something :unsure:

*Jean*
Jul 19th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I hated Cibulkova before, and I do even more now :lol:

Ai :bounce:

Julian
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
wow! never seen that before!
congrats Ai! and Domi..i wonder if something was really serious that made her decide to retire like that :(

ViennaCalling
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Ai is having a great season :yeah: :hearts:

andrewC
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Go Ai! great fight :banana:
Dominika, a bout of sore loser fever must have struck her down suddenly, causing her to retire due to ill health...

Kai
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Ai :woohoo:

Meteor Shower
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Amazing Ai :woohoo:

Juanes
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
domi.... so difficult match :( :hug:

Drimal
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Great fight to the victory from Ai :woohoo: :rocker2:

Now please beat Bartoli! ;)

:weirdo: @ Dominika to retire at 3 MPs down.

.:sk:.
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Domi :sad: :hug:

Great comeback Ai :yeah:

FrenchY52
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ermm Ciblukova ? :o
Well done Ai :)

Richie's
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
OMG>>> Dominika had 3 mp.... What to say... Big miss chance...

Elwin.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Domi :spit: retiring at MP is classless. but hope she is ok :hug:

Ai :hearts: well done !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave.
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Cramps? Then let your opponent ace you or something :unsure:

What professional tennis player in their right mind would do that though? She's trained all her life to get serves back, it doesn't make sense to just let one go by her.

and what if Ai missed?

nhissan
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
total BS she retired at matchpoint she's unprofessional that's it

Dawson.
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
ai well done, amazing fight and guts, 32 but shows that there are very few fitter on tour!

domi you have just gained a hater, that was not on having a time out before ai served for the match then retiring at 3mps down, just let ai serve an ace past you and lose the right way because the fitter woman won and the consumate pro, sugi would never have done what domi did but sugi's a class act!!!!!!!!!

New Haven 2006 - R1

Galina Voskoboeva def. Anna Chakvetadze 6-3, 6-5 ret. :wavey:

Langers
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cibulkova, that's gutless. GUTLESS.

Adal
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Dominika :haha: :o

Ai :bounce:

andrewC
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Sugiyama/Chakvetadze semifinal...Anna is going to defend her title. :lol:

haha

andrewC
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM

i dont think it's herd behaviour, to most people what dominika did seemed pretty petty. judging by your avatar you love the slovak players like Cibulkova and Hantuchova and your post is a perfect example of when a poster on this board whose favourite player(s) has just lost and is playing the victim. tough oreo, no one's favourite player is perfect, suck it up.

Mileen
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Wow, Ai :worship: Happy you won (on Kim's tourny ;)) :bounce:

Corswandt
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Bad choke from Cibulkova. And she didn't save a single BP.

I thought Sugiyama would be hard pressed to keep up with Cibulkova's relentless grinding and would be forced to rush the net, but she actually outplayed Cibulkova on an increasing number of baseline rallies as the match went along. She still moved forward, but wisely did so mostly to put away Cibulkova's defensive slices and assorted floaters - even though she still got passed a number of times.

Not sure why Cibulkova's ROS off the FH side was almost always a block FH.

Theatrics or cramps? Cibulkova seemed rattled ever since she missed those MPs. Plus Sugiyama's mind games later on the match (jogging between points, running to and from her chair, as if saying "I'm ready to play 10 more sets of this. And you?", while Cibulkova seemed to be getting mentally and even physically spent), though well short of gamesmanship, probably got to her too. So she lashes out the way she did.

Still, it's this kind of bitchiness that gets this board running, so I don't see why so many people are complaining.

Anyway, I suspect Sugiyama is the kind of player that will benefit from the sharp drop in the Tour's competitive level, which seems to get worse by the week.

Natash.
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM
New Haven 2006 - R1

Galina Voskoboeva def. Anna Chakvetadze 6-3, 6-5 ret. :wavey:

:spit:: :haha:

OMG ANNA!@~!2 Truly pathetic. :mad: :mad: :o

mirzalover
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I really dont see why people care so much. Ai won, Domi lost.

Lunaris
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
i dont think it's herd behaviour, to most people what dominika did seemed pretty petty. judging by your avatar you love the slovak players like Cibulkova and Hantuchova and your post is a perfect example of when a poster on this board whose favourite player(s) has just lost and is playing the victim. tough oreo, no one's favourite player is perfect, suck it up.
Judging by a Hantuchova avatar I like Slovak players? That's like judging by an Ivanovic avatar that I love Jankovic. :weirdo:
Cibulkova is not my favourite player and I don't "love" any player. :weirdo:
I like Cibulkova, but in this match I was actually rooting for Sugiyama, so suck it up yourself, thanks.

ivanban
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
What professional tennis player in their right mind would do that though? She's trained all her life to get serves back, it doesn't make sense to just let one go by her.

and what if Ai missed?

She could've let Sugi try to put next serve in, it was 40:00 :lol:

cn ireland
Jul 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I think its very bas sportsmanship to retire while facing 3 MPs, all she had to do was not return the serve. Not impressed:(!

Well done to Ai:D!!!!

SOA_MC
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM

So i'm guessing you didn't read the Ivanovic def Dechy by lucky net cord thread?

kris719
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
wtf that is stupid. Just one more point in the match, one more serve and your misery is over. There's no point in retiring on match point.

SOA_MC
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM

She hopping and limping around because she was cramping badly not stalling maybe???