Jul 18th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I'm sooo happy for Sammy! :worship:

Vera Z...Comeback stronger next week :kiss:

Pasta-Na
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM
omg :eek:

Ben.
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Well done Sam :yeah: knew you could do it! 2nd Stanford Quarter-final, fantastic :D
Now time to get revenge on Wozniak :devil: :armed:

RenaSlam.
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Whoa.

10 aces :eek:

Who does she play next?

Good win. I thought Vera would take this.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM
This tournament has been nothing more than a jumping point for every player I dislike bar Jankovic to win matches and irritate me further.

Please, Serena/Patty, win this event. :o

By far the worst loss of Vera's year. How did she manage this? :banghead: That said, it's a great win for Sam. She's been successful in her comeback, that's for sure.

zvonarevarulz
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
:o

Vera of '05 is back:help:

Harvs
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
SAM U BLOODY LEGEND! great win!

great to see u back beating the top girls:):):)

good luck against wozniak! beat her this time:)

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Bepa :o What happened?:o

Shakira4000
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Vera had such a great first half. Maybe her horrible slam losses have made her lose interest for the time being.

Vincey!
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:39 AM
:eek:..Shocking:eek:..that's such an easy scoreline :eek:

pav
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Terrible, but not surprising at all ! I think Bepa beat her in a Fed cup match years ago,and hasn't done so since, seems to be a bad match up as far as silly Bepa is concerned,as soon as I saw the schedule I knew it was trouble!

hankqq
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Surprising IMO. Stosur is just coming back. I thought Zvonareva was starting to play well again, but ever since the grass season her form has fallen off again. The final 8 of this event is quite interesting.

Zoeki
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Shocking score!

Sam:kiss:

Vera:help:
lose it so quick!

kwilliams
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Wow. Good win for her, congrats.

aussie_fan
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Well Done Sam :woohoo:

Great result, she's really playing well in this comeback.

Mr.Kardashian
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM
What a great win! keep it up!

pav
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Bloody Manly had better win tonight:fiery:

Malva
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM
This tournament has been nothing more than a jumping point for every player I dislike bar Jankovic to win matches and irritate me further.

By far the worst loss of Vera's year. How did she manage this? :banghead: That said, it's a great win for Sam. She's been successful in her comeback, that's for sure.

Did you watch the match, Ludwig?

LudwigDvorak
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Did you watch the match, Ludwig?

No, and I'm glad I didn't. I passionately dislike Stosur's tennis, though, and I'm more venting at Vera, one of my favorite players, and her bad results as of late more than anything.

I'm sure Stosur outplayed her. She had to, she won. But Zvonareva should be beating Makarova and Stosur, not winning five or six games only against them.

Dani12
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Yeah damn those players who play differently to the normal baseline tennis!

LudwigDvorak
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Stosur is a hack job, though. My favorite male player ever is Sampras, and my two favorite female players from the past generations are Navratilova and Mandlikova. I only damn players who I don't find that good, not because they're "different."

She has an erratic if powerful forehand and a tough first serve. Her volleys help her in doubles and occasionally in singles. Her return and ability to rally from the baseline are TRAGIC in the modern game, and good first serve + volleys don't cut it.

Her game is some kind of twisted, mutated '70s style with serve and volley + backhand slice with the modern crunching forehand and big serve, and it's twisted and mutated because of how poorly she executes it. I find it hideous. That said, I don't particularly like any of the Australians' games aside from Moore.

Malva
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:53 AM
No, and I'm glad I didn't. I passionately dislike Stosur's tennis, though, and I'm more venting at Vera, one of my favorite players, and her bad results as of late more than anything.

I'm sure Stosur outplayed her. She had to, she won. But Zvonareva should be beating Makarova and Stosur, not winning five or six games only against them.

I was asking since I could provide a match report. I watched the live stream, and even recorded it.

Samantha began the match from a canonade: several aces in the first two service games. Vera was able to match her for a while. The two girls were playing pretty good tennis throughout the match, more interesting and possessing far greater variety than yesterday's match between de Brito and Williams (the only other Stanford match I saw).

The first set was really close, after Vera broke Samantha, I was expecting her to take the set. How did she manage to be broken twice in the end, I don't know, I wasn't watching for a moment.

Vera throughout the match was too erratic, while Samantha was quite solid. Zvonareva was showing here and there her class, yet she was undoing it by too many unforced errors and double faults.

Stosur was able to produce some impressive winners when it mattered too. In the end of the match Vera crumbled and didn't even seem to be really fighting to turn the match around. But again, Stosur was solid throughout the match and Zvonareva erratic.

miss_molik
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Bloody Manly had better win tonight:fiery:

haha, don't worry, they will for sure :p

Great match sammy!

Keadz
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Great win for Sam, against the number 11 in the world:)

Hopefully she makes another semi of a tier II and gets revenge on Wozniak for beating her in quallies.

OZTENNIS
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Stosur is a hack job, though. My favorite male player ever is Sampras, and my two favorite female players from the past generations are Navratilova and Mandlikova. I only damn players who I don't find that good, not because they're "different."

She has an erratic if powerful forehand and a tough first serve. Her volleys help her in doubles and occasionally in singles. Her return and ability to rally from the baseline are TRAGIC in the modern game, and good first serve + volleys don't cut it.

Her game is some kind of twisted, mutated '70s style with serve and volley + backhand slice with the modern crunching forehand and big serve, and it's twisted and mutated because of how poorly she executes it. I find it hideous. That said, I don't particularly like any of the Australians' games aside from Moore.
:worship:

lol I'm a big fan of Jessica Moore ;)

But seriously, I don't think Sam's baseline game is AS BAD as a lot of people make out. But in addition to this, when I have seen her play in the past, I never thought her volleying was THAT GOOD...so I suppose there is a balance there somewhere :lol:

GREAT WIN SAM :banana: so good to see you back playing and beating the best of opponents - Peer, Wozniacki, Mauresmo and now Zvonereva :)

ivanban
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
OMG Sam, awesome win :worship: :yeah:

Vera, get it TOGETHER!!!!1111! :hug:

The Kaz
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Sammy :woohoo:

Now get revenge :devil:

austennis
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
yay sammy so happy for u.. great win and goodluck in the QTR's hope ur in the semis yay

skanky~skanketta
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
wtf vera?! :mad:

FORZA SARITA
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Sammy:rocker2:

Lyndle_BE
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Nice result Sammy :yeah:

Agata.
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Well done Sammy :) this was not expected (at least for me :P)

I'm glad to see she's playing so well after her comeback

LefandePatty
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Vera. :( :sad: :awww: :weirdo:

Dani12
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM

It was a joke, and don't take it the wrong way, but its hard to criticize one's game THAT much that has been top 30 in the world, it may not be pretty but it has onviously worked for her and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't cut it or its tragic or poorly executed, because I think that has been proven wrong with the fact that she has had success, so it obviously does cut it.

John.
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Congrats Sam

Noctis
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
OMG Sam, awesome win :worship: :yeah:

Vera, get it TOGETHER!!!!1111! :hug:

:haha: Cheo Reference

Andy.
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
YAY well done Sami

jonny84
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
:eek: Surprised at this but well done to Stosur!

spriwi
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
vera in a slump :confused:

Lindsayfan32
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
...;13648141']SAM U BLOODY LEGEND! great win!

great to see u back beating the top girls:):):)

good luck against wozniak! beat her this time:)

Dito :):worship:

adrovi
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Vera :sad::sad::confused:

zveeen
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM
well done Sam :)

sharapovarulz1
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Woah didnīt see this score happening!

Uranus
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM
What's happening with Vera?

Losing 63 63 to Makarova,
Losing a set to Nakamura,
Losing 76 46 63 to Tanasugarn,
Then 63 62 to lucky loser Stosur.

Little slump? Get out of this, babe.

Mr.Kardashian
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Makarova played well though and Tammy was just awesome on the grass and Sam has been playing great tennis for a couple of months and has a godo record vs Vera so fingers crossed she can bounce back with a few good results before the US Open!

Uranus
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Makarova played well though and Tammy was just awesome on the grass and Sam has been playing great tennis for a couple of months and has a godo record vs Vera so fingers crossed she can bounce back with a few good results before the US Open!
Bepa losing 3 & 3 to a top 5 player, that's okay. To a player who's barely in top 50, ugh, no.
Sam has been better in the last few months, but she still lost in qualies here and her match against Vaidisova at Wimbledon - I expected her to win it - was really bad.