PDA

View Full Version : Stanford Rd2: P. Schnyder (5) def.A. Kleybanova 7-6, 6-4

tennisfan5
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Good job Patty!

Keadz
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Good win against a tricky and pretty good opponent.

NOW BEAT SERENA!!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Nice going Pattyyyyyyy!! :rocker2:

Russianboy
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
sooo many UE from alisa. absolutely bad performance!

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Kleybanova has a seriously dangerous game. There is no getting around that. Which is not to say that I like it. Honestly, Kleybanova sums up exactly the type of WTA tennis I personally do not like. Nothing better than to see her beaten by a player with far more touch, variety and racket skills like Schnyder.

Craftiness beats power. :dance:

Well done Patty. :yeah:

Corswandt
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Kleybanova has a seriously dangerous game. There is no getting around that. Which is not to say that I like it. Honestly, Kleybanova sums up exactly the type of WTA tennis I personally do not like. Nothing better than to see her beaten by a player with far more touch, variety and racket skills like Schnyder.

I support.....

Yaroslava Shvedova

Julia Vakulenko

Sania Mirza Daniela Hantuchova

Doo-doo-doo.

TennisPlayingFox
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Very nice job Patty! Good luck against Serena!

ASP0315
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM

i agree with the statement in the red.

i don't agree with the statement in the bold. If you watched the match today patty played awfully today. Did you see set one where patty blew 6 sps 4 of those were on kleybanova's second serve.
patty made tons of errors during those sps. patty was just marginally better player today.(made a couple of good shots but did nothing special.) Plus don't forget the fact kleybanova put only 38 % of the first serves in and served 8 Df's which helped patty a bit. had alisa put in 80% of her first serves in patty would have lost something like 6-3 6-2.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Doo-doo-doo.

Of those four players you listed the only one that could really be considered a genuine ball basher is Sania. As it happens I am a fan of Sania mostly for her outspoken personality and the professional way she goes about her career.

Vakulenko and Hantuchova both have quite similar games that involves excellent timing and placement. They can both hit very hard but they don't hit very hard on each and every shot in the way that Kleybanova does. They certainly don't need to put their whole body weight into each shot they hit to generate power either. They both have great touch as well.

Yari does sometimes play a bit like a ballbasher but on other occasions, when she is playing better she shows a lot more patience and uses her speed around the court a lot more. She has undeniably struggled both to find her best game and develop mental strength over the last year and a half. She is another player I like a lot for her personality which is as full of happiness and enthusiasm as any player on the tour.

Michael!
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Good win for Patty :yeah:

Viktymise
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Are you talking about this match, or in general?

Oh and Vakulenko is just as big and brainless a ballbasher as Kleybanova. :tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Oh and Vakulenko is just as big and brainless a ballbasher as Kleybanova. :tape:

I am talking in general. And I very much disagree Vakulenko is as brainless a ballbasher as Kleybanova. Their games are nothing alike.

Dawson.
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
i really expected kleybanova to win this one.

and to ChrisCHorse, most of the players in your sig play the same as kleyabnova :lol:

Corswandt
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM

ChrisCDonkey likes Vakulenko, ergo she isn't a basher.

The logic is impeccable.

Viktymise
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I am talking in general. And I very much disagree Vakulenko is as brainless a ballbasher as Kleybanova. Their games are nothing alike.

Yes, that's why in all the slam finals this year, there has been nothing but crafty players.

I'd like to know what makes Vakulenko and Kleybanova so different. I certainly can't see it. Every time I have ever seen Vakulenko play, she ballbashes, and has no other options when it's not working.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
i really expected kleybanova to win this one.

and to ChrisCHorse, most of the players in your sig play the same as kleyabnova :lol:

Perhaps Mirza, Ivanovic, who else?

jonny84
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Could have been all different if Kleyvanova had won those set points in the tiebreak. But good win for Patty and now an anticipating quarter final between her and Serena!

Corswandt
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Yes, that's why in all the slam finals this year, there has been nothing but crafty players.

I'd like to know what makes Vakulenko and Kleybanova so different. I certainly can't see it. Every time I have ever seen Vakulenko play, she ballbashes, and has no other options when it's not working.

Don't bother.

Board is being taken over by snobs for whom

shotmaker they like = builds points

shotmaker they don't like = brainless ballbasher

I mean, no problem in being a snob, but at least be consistent.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Have I said anything about the slam finals this year. Ahh... I understand what you meant.

When I said craftiness beats power. Yes. That was refering to this match. No, it doesn't happen all the time. It doesn't even happen most of the time. But, for me it is nice to see. I got turned on to tennis when I saw Mecir beat Becker at the US Open. I loved nothing more than to watch Santoro beat Safin. That's just how I am. Obviously power is hugely effective in the modern women's game. And I don't hate all players who have some power in their game. If I did, I would hate just about everyone. But I do like to see players mix it up a bit at least, even the Williams sisters both do that, and not try to bludgeon every single shot in the manner Kleybanova does. And no, I don't believe Vakulenko plays in that manner at all. She certainly has a big forehand which she uses to hit winners when the court is open but she isn't try to overpower her opponent on every single groundstroke.

Viktymise
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Don't bother.

Board is being taken over by snobs for whom

shotmaker they like = builds points

shotmaker they don't like = brainless ballbasher

I mean, no problem in being a snob, but at least be consistent.

Exactly. Certain rules seem to only exist for certain players on this board.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Exactly. Certain rules seem to only exist for certain players on this board.

I don't consider myself a snob. I certainly don't look down on other people who think differently from me and I certainly do not regard my opinions as being more valuable than anyone elses. Additionally I try to show respect to all players. Heck if someone gets into the top 50 they are good. I would never argue that. Kleybanova is a very effective player when her shots are going in. But for Christ's sake. Do I have to like each player. I like who I like. Sometimes for no rhyme or reason. I certainly do not criticise other people on this board for the players they like or look down on them for it. I don't like Vaidisova's game much. That is well known. But she has some of the coolest fans on this board. I respect them.

Now get off my back dammit. :mad:

Lyndle_BE
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Well back to the topic at hand....Well done on the win for Patty :yeah: All the best for the match against Serena.

Pasta-Na
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM
patty's hair :rocker2:

Vamos.
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
ChrisCHorse...what a hypocrite. :rolls::rolls:

Get over yourself, mate. So many of the girls on your list are ballbashers...and some of them you back up by saying "they have a great personality"...and so you know for a fact that Kleybanova doesn't? Pathetic. :yawn:

iPatty
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I was uneasy about this matchup and it seems I was right. I absolutely HATED this match. Patty was worse than I have seen her in a long time but Alisa was just unable to get the ball in play long enough to let Patty hit it in the net. I lost count of the number of times she hit second serve returns either into the net or into the stands.

Pathetic display from the so-called "crafty" Schnyder today. I certainly saw nothing of the sort. If Kleybanova had made more first serves she would have been dead.

Don't lose too badly against Serena, all I have to say.

Serenita
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:53 AM
:(kleybanova

LefandePatty
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I was uneasy about this matchup and it seems I was right. I absolutely HATED this match. Patty was worse than I have seen her in a long time but Alisa was just unable to get the ball in play long enough to let Patty hit it in the net. I lost count of the number of times she hit second serve returns either into the net or into the stands.

Pathetic display from the so-called "crafty" Schnyder today. I certainly saw nothing of the sort. If Kleybanova had made more first serves she would have been dead.

Don't lose too badly against Serena, all I have to say.

OMG all those balls into the stands ! :worship:
Patty. :hearts:

iPatty
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
OMG all those balls into the stands ! :worship:
Patty. :hearts:

I bet the crowd was complaining they had to throw all of them back.

I can just see them now, "the joke keeps hitting them up here, let us keep 'em!"

Lunaris
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM
The thing is that most players play the same as Kleybanova, aside of a few claycourters and old school players like Schiavone or Mauresmo. Now we must distinguish between those who can offer more than ballbashing and those who cannot. Kleybanova certainly cannot, yet.

LefandePatty
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I bet the crowd was complaining they had to throw all of them back.

I can just see them now, "the joke keeps hitting them up here, let us keep 'em!"

Yeah tell me more about it ! :rolls:

They should take their umbrellas tomorrow.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I thought Patty will always going to self-explode in any match.:p

C. Drone
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM
that was awful... lucky Patty, nothing more. :tape:

Petkorazzi
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:54 AM
The thing is that most players play the same as Kleybanova, aside of a few claycourters and old school players like Schiavone or Mauresmo. Now we must distinguish between those who can offer more than ballbashing and those who cannot. Kleybanova certainly cannot, yet.

Well said.

Elwin.
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Alisa :sad:

FORZA SARITA
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Alisa:sad: try to put more 1st serves:(

jjlove
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
that was awful... lucky Patty, nothing more. :tape:

It's surprising how people diminish a player such Patty Schnyder. Has been on tour for ages and has demostrated her quality and her experience. To me one is one of the very few left that plays smart (not just hitting the ball) and with many different ways to play her opponent.

*Jean*
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Alisa :sad:

Corswandt
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM
It takes a snob to know a snob my enfant terrible.

I readily admit I like/dislike players for the most shallow and idiotic reasons and still I get called a snob?

Another Vaidisova non-believer here I'm afraid.

And?