PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon should seed Venus Williams #1 next year. Enough of her low seed already!

Dawn Marie
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
What do you guys think? Any change of opinions since last year and the year before. I've always felt that Venus was treated diffrently at Wimby due to the fact that she is a women. It's about time that Wimby goes by grass results like they did the men. Goran and a few other men have had seeds go up.
Wimby needs to stop the bullshit and seed Venus Williams #1 next year. She should never be on Court 2. If Fed man, won't be on Court 2 then neither should Vee. I hope that asshole Larry Scott really looks into how the women have been treated at the infamous ALL ENGLAND CLUB. :wavey:

Havok
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
No they shouldn't. Wimbledon already grants people bumped up seeding if they have done well on grass in previous years. If Venus wants that top seed, she should earn it by playing top level tennis for the entire SEASON. The top ranked player shouldn't be denied her top seed just because Venus shows up for only one event each year.:weirdo:

I agree on keeping her off Court 2. However, there's a MASSIVE difference between Venus and Federer. They both have the same amount of titles, but Roger has won his in succession. Plus he's played Philippoussis, Roddick x2, and Nadal x2 to win his 5 titles. Venus beat a rookie Henin and Bartoli for 2 of her 5 titles. Difference.

Uranium
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
they won't need to bump her ranking, Venus will be #1 by the time of Wimbledon next year:angel:

In The Zone
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
It depends what Federer's seed will be.

If he is # 2 in the rankings and gets # 1 (which would make no difference since 1 and 2 are essentially the same), then Venus deserves # 1. If they leave Federer, then they should leave Venus.

I think Venus has shown that her seed is meaningless.

serenus_2k8
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah does it even matter.

Serenita
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Agree we live in 2008, not 1901.
So let's treat all sexes equal!

Havok
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
It depends what Federer's seed will be.

If he is # 2 in the rankings and gets # 1 (which would make no difference since 1 and 2 are essentially the same), then Venus deserves # 1. If they leave Federer, then they should leave Venus.

I think Venus has shown that her seed is meaningless.
This makes absolutely no sense! Wimbledon has a mathematical SYSTEM which alters players' seedings. They just don't decide which players get which seedings. If Fed happens to be #2 coming into Wimbledon and not that far off Nadal's total ranking points, the system they use will probably boost him just enough to have more pts and get the top seed.

HippityHop
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Frankly, I like Venus being seeded low at Wimby. It gives the higher seeds something to worry about. :devil:

spencercarlos
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM
What do you guys think? Any change of opinions since last year and the year before. I've always felt that Venus was treated diffrently at Wimby due to the fact that she is a women. It's about time that Wimby goes by grass results like they did the men. Goran and a few other men have had seeds go up.
Wimby needs to stop the bullshit and seed Venus Williams #1 next year. She should never be on Court 2. If Fed man, won't be on Court 2 then neither should Vee. I hope that asshole Larry Scott really looks into how the women have been treated at the infamous ALL ENGLAND CLUB. :wavey:
She will the minute she becomes the best player in the world, everything else is just delusion.

Not even Martina Navratilova or Steffi Graf were seeded number one when their rankings did not reflect that.

starin
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
let's see how many times they put Venus on ct. 2 next year.
she'll be 5 time slam Wimbledon Champion and have won it 2 years in a row. I bet they put her on ct.2 from her 2nd rd on until she either loses or makes it to the QF. Maybe next year they'll put on Camille Pin v. Patty Schnyder on center court since it's giong to be 3 sets and more competitive than Venus v. some nobody. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

jonny84
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I think it is fairer for the seeds to match the rankings.

Seyz
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I agree with the people that say her seeding doesn't matter, because it clearly doesn't. She'll still probably have the best chance of winning wimbledon.
And this year Venus won wimbie while federer lost, so next year as defending champion, Venus should at least get to play court 1 /centre court as much as federer. But then again she was defending champion this year too.. so..

danieln1
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Agreed since she´s the best grass court player nowadays and deserves the number 1 seed in Wimbledon! It´s ludicrous that some players were seeded higher than Venus, such as Jankovic and Dementieva

darrinbaker00
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Of course Venus SHOULD be seeded #1 at Wimbledon, but unless she's ranked #1 next year, it ain't happenin'. There's no way, NO WAY, the All-England Club is going to do any favors for the person who shamed them into awarding equal prize money to the women. If they thought they could get away with scheduling Venus' matches at Roehampton, they'd do it.

Andrew Laeddis
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Its not like it matter anyway. I just prefer she is seeded in the top 8.

vw.
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
If they were to use the Men's seeding system, wouldn't 2000 points be added to her ranking going into Wimbledon, making it highly probable that she'd be #1?

Anyway, it doesn't matter what seeding she gets because she doesn't need a high seeding to win. She just better not be on Court 2 more than once.

young_gunner913
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Does it matter? She's proven time and time again, it doesn't matter what she's seeded. Wimbledon is her house. :)

Broken Racquet
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Even if they offer her seeding higher than her ranking is, I am sure she would refuse and chose playing by the rules, like other players.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM
It doesn't matter what she's seeded. She'll still go deep/win, because she's the best grasscourt player of this era.

ce
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
she will win it anyway :haha:

-VSR-
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Ranking is only a number. It doesn't matter.

Melly Flew Us
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
not going to happen even if she is top 3.

Marshmallow
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
let's see how many times they put Venus on ct. 2 next year.
she'll be 5 time slam Wimbledon Champion and have won it 2 years in a row. I bet they put her on ct.2 from her 2nd rd on until she either loses or makes it to the QF. Maybe next year they'll put on Camille Pin v. Patty Schnyder on center court since it's giong to be 3 sets and more competitive than Venus v. some nobody. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, it doesn't matter what seeding she gets because she doesn't need a high seeding to win. She just better not be on Court 2 more than once.

Word.out.mouth. Venus should only be thrust onto the harsh and cold plains of court 2 if Federer is playing first match. He hasn't been there for years, and now he and Vee have equal number of titles - equal treatment. No excuse.

RenaSlam.
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM
As we've seen over the years, rankings and seedings frankly don't mean jack shit.

Venus could win Wimbledon ranked 1, 098 and have the toughest draw imaginable and still come through.

Her game is like magic when she hits the grass at the SW 19.

Kart
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM
LOL Dawn are you really bored today or something ?

Venus shouldn't be seeded no.1 unless she actually shows some form coming into the tournament. Which she hasn't for about six years or so.

It's not like it matters, she can beat anyone.

OsloErik
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:47 AM
This year, she was over 1000 points behind the #1, and 900 points behind the #4. Even using the Wimbledon seeding formula for men, she wouldn't have been seeded #1.

And for people talking about Federer being seeded #1 next year even if he's ranked #2, I think the more interesting scenario will be if Nadal is seeded #1 even if he's ranked #2, since his grass court points from 2008 and the half points from 2007 exceed Federer's.

Next season, Venus needs to be within 1500 points of #1 in order to deserve that seed based on the men's formula. That's a very realistic number to hit.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM
no, they shouldn't they shouldn't upseed ANYONE. she's proven she can rise past her seeding, so let it be. if she wants to be seeded higher, play some more tournaments.

supergrunt
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM
she def. should be #1, but I could live with #2 as long as she isn't on court 2.

starin
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM
yeah her seed doesn't matter. She's already won Wimbledon twice while being seeded outside the top 10 and once outside the top 20.

I just find it disrespectful how many times they put her on ct. 2. in her last 4 Wimbledon or something she's played there 9 times. That's a lot considering she was defending Champion 2 of those times. Let's see what they do next year seeing as Fed and Venus will both have 5 Wimbledon titles and some finals and Venus is defending 2 in a row champ while Fed is not.

Lunaris
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM
She should be seeded lower at RG then.

Ackms421
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:10 AM
The graveyard of champions is gone next year though. The new court 2 is a nice stadium, so it won't be as bad if she is there...

In The Zone
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM
This makes absolutely no sense! Wimbledon has a mathematical SYSTEM which alters players' seedings. They just don't decide which players get which seedings. If Fed happens to be #2 coming into Wimbledon and not that far off Nadal's total ranking points, the system they use will probably boost him just enough to have more pts and get the top seed.

If they were to use the Men's seeding system, wouldn't 2000 points be added to her ranking going into Wimbledon, making it highly probable that she'd be #1?

Exactly my point. The Men and Women have different systems. Do you really think Dementieva should have been seeded higher than Venus using a mathematical system? Venus was actually very close to Serena in ranking points before Serena made the final.

But it's okay that they use different systems, it's okay if Federer is # 1, it's okay if Venus, defending champion is on Court 2 (yet Nadal, a 2-time finalist, compared to a 4x champ + 2 other finals can be on Centre and Court 1 always). When do we stop making excuses and just call their bluff?

jean_genie
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Of course Venus SHOULD be seeded #1 at Wimbledon, but unless she's ranked #1 next year, it ain't happenin'. There's no way, NO WAY, the All-England Club is going to do any favors for the person who shamed them into awarding equal prize money to the women. If they thought they could get away with scheduling Venus' matches at Roehampton, they'd do it.
:haha: That's funny...true but still funny.

Lunaris
Jul 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
:rolleyes:
Only Wimbledon changes the seedings, no other slam does and she shouldn't:o, so your post is :o:rolleyes::help::yawn:
And you shouldn't be talking about lower a seed , when Daniela has never made a Roland Garros QF and Venus has made a Final and numerous QFs:rolleyes:
Oh, really? Defensive much? :lol:
And you edited your post to remind me how much Daniela sucks. That hurts. :lol:

Stupid thread deserves a stupid answer, so there you have it. ;)
When people realize that men's tennis is more attractive so they put Fed and Nadal on centre court instead of female players? Stop bitching about it, that's the way it is. Being no.1 seed won't change it.

mal
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM
:rolleyes:
Only Wimbledon changes the seedings, no other slam does and she shouldn't:o, so your post is :o:rolleyes::help::yawn:
And you shouldn't be talking about lower a seed , when Daniela has never made a Roland Garros QF and Venus has made a Final and numerous QFs:rolleyes:

How do you figure that out?

kwilliams
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:22 AM
No they shouldn't. Wimbledon already grants people bumped up seeding if they have done well on grass in previous years. If Venus wants that top seed, she should earn it by playing top level tennis for the entire SEASON. The top ranked player shouldn't be denied her top seed just because Venus shows up for only one event each year.:weirdo:

I agree on keeping her off Court 2. However, there's a MASSIVE difference between Venus and Federer. They both have the same amount of titles, but Roger has won his in succession. Plus he's played Philippoussis, Roddick x2, and Nadal x2 to win his 5 titles. Venus beat a rookie Henin and Bartoli for 2 of her 5 titles. Difference.

And Venus has done VERY well on grass in previous years...I think they usually take the previous three years into account. I wasn't really for them changing her seeding this year, not by much anyway. However after having won the past two years she may deserve a higher seeding, they did it for Serena in 2004 (I think).

Venus has made more finals than Fed and has been a fixture at Wimbledon for longer. Also in 2001 and 2007 Venus beat seven players to win both titles, not just Henin and Bartoli. The final last year might have been a given but she did beat Sharapova (2), Kuznetsova (5) and recent Ivanovic (6). It was a good run. 2 slam winners and a recent slam finalist as well as Bartoli who beat Henin and JJ to make the finals. Henin might not have been at her GS best in 2001 but she had won 3 title already that year and made the SF in Paris. She was rapidly coming into her own, something she proved by making the finals at Wimbledon and even taking a set of Venus. Venus also beat Davenport and Tauziat in 2001. 3 top ten players is sufficient for a credible GS win, I think.

So Philipoussis, Roddick x2 and Nadal x2.
Or Davenport x2, Henin, Bartoli, Serena.

Federer has beaten one GS finalist. Venus has beaten two. It was Philipoussis' second GS final and JH's and Bartoli's first. All in all I think JH outshines Philipoussis because of her later achievements. Her FO and Wimbledon results in 2001 kick started a glittering career for her.

Well Roddick was a one time GS winner and despite being great on grass I think it's fair to say that Davenport is comparatively the tougher opponent at Wimbledon. She is a three time GS winner and was the defending champ in 2001. 2005 was her third Wimbledon final.

And Serena obviously outshines Nadal, comparatively speaking. Though Federer did beat Nadal twice in two great finals.

All in all I would say the two staple champs at Wimbledon are quite evenly matched in achievements there. 5 wins is a milestone and it's so impressive that Fed won 5 in a row and equalled a great record but it hasn't taken Venus long to get to 5 and she has defended her title twice now and made more finals than Fed so that bolsters up her resumé to almost equal his. I think they should definitely be treated equally, especially next year as Venus will be the defending champ and Fed won't.

AcesHigh
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Don't compare Venus to Federer who was attempting to make history and has been unbeaten on grass for ages. He also has been #1 forever.

If Venus can get inside the top 4, then maybe she can get a top 2 seeding. That's a big IF though. Bumping her from 7 to 1 is completely unfair for those 6 players who worked so hard to get their rankings. If Venus wants to be seeded #1 for Wimby, she can just work towards getting that #1 ranking spot.

Dawn Marie
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Venus should be seeded higher then a Dementieva on grass. I care about Venus's seeding because 1) She's not getting any younger but because 2) It's about the principle of the matter and we will have other girls following in Venus's footsteps.
I know that right now Venus could be ranked lower and still pull through, but I see no need in having Vee in the future playing tougher opponents just because of how well she perform on grass. I don't want to see her seeded lower then her grasscourt game suggest just because Venus has done well and proved the idiots wrong. She's shouldn't be punished for kicking grass but rewarded. Fuck that trap. VENUS SHOULD BE SEEDED HIGHER BECAUSE OF HER GRASS COURT RECORD. SHE SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON COURT 2 AGAIN. It's the PRINCIPLE of the matter. I am thinking about our future the youth. Venus paved the way, and came thru hard draws but that has nothing to do with right and wrong.

Tennisation
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
no she shouldn't, cuz that would mean good news for Ana or Maria

Harvs
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
no shes shouldnt... they dont muck around with the rankings like they do guys...

Ben.
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Venus has said herself that she doesn't care whether she is seeded or not, and she has also said that she doesn't care which court she is placed on at Wimbledon. She is only concerned about winning Grand Slam titles in case you didn't know.

The thread starter is a complete :weirdo:

lolas
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Venus doesn't need it.

Il Primo!
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM
She should be seeded lower at RG then.

Since when RG applies Wimbledon's seeding system? :yawn: You should go back to Daniela's behind and go out when I tell you so.;)

Oh and Vee doesn't need this.

LCS
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
If she's number 1 at the time of course...other than that, no :wavey:

Bounty Hunter
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:28 PM
If she's number 1 at the time of course...other than that, no :wavey:

Agreed!

Just don't put her on court 2! All her matches should be on Center Court since she will be the defending champion.

LCS
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Agreed!

Just don't put her on court 2! All her matches should be on Center Court since she's the defending champion.

That's a different issue, but yeah I agree on that point...but what do people want...Slams generally work like that...but it would be ridiculous to say Venus is the only one being forced to play on outer courts despite her status.

Adal
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Depends on who will be in top 3 at that time next year :shrug: Too early to say anything.

court70
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
It seems as though you guys don't listen or comprehend anything.....THERE WILL BE NO MORE COURT 2 BEGINNING NEXT YEAR.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
won't matter to venus...but i think the other top seeds would want her there just to be sure of her place in the draw...wouldn't want a chance of her falling into your part of the draw

-Sonic-
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
It seems as though you guys don't listen or comprehend anything.....THERE WILL BE NO MORE COURT 2 BEGINNING NEXT YEAR.

That new court 2 looks sexy, I'd love to play on that even with Court 1 and Centre Court on offer.... only once or twice mind u, not lots ;)

In The Zone
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
won't matter to venus...but i think the other top seeds would want her there just to be sure of her place in the draw...wouldn't want a chance of her falling into your part of the draw

This is how I feel, too. The players used to hate Serena when she was younger because she would never play enough so her ranking was so low and they'd be forced to play her early. :lol: And then 2001, Serena finally played a lot.

Venus' seeding is not just about Venus. It is also about the other players she could potentially meet.

Direwolf
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
nah....

seed her
lower...

i want her to have a high coefficient thing...
when she wins grandslams...

and wins them

jamatthews
Jul 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
They shouldn't make her sit in the same chairs as the journeywomen. They shouyld give her a Golden Throne to sit on during the change of ends.

Alla Luce
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
No more court 2 Yay! I hated that court :lol:

Destiny
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Bah who cares her ranking doesn't matter
Anyway rock on Veee

Destiny
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
This is how I feel, too. The players used to hate Serena when she was younger because she would never play enough so her ranking was so low and they'd be forced to play her early. :lol: And then 2001, Serena finally played a lot.

Venus' seeding is not just about Venus. It is also about the other players she could potentially meet.

Too true:lol:

Marshmallow
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
No more court 2 Yay! I hated that court :lol:

We can only hope, that would bode well for Vee because her only loss at wimbledon in 4 years 2005-2008 (inc) was on court 2. She's a different animal on the 2 main courts. I want #6!!! :bounce:

Tennisstar86
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Venus has said herself that she doesn't care whether she is seeded or not, and she has also said that she doesn't care which court she is placed on at Wimbledon. She is only concerned about winning Grand Slam titles in case you didn't know.

The thread starter is a complete :weirdo:

Actually... Venus stated when asked if she thought it ridiculous that she as the defending champion and 4X slam champ was on court two while Federer never left center court was unfair "You said it, not me"

Venus cares, but she already fought for equal rights with prize money... the fact is its unfair, she knows it. They know it, shes not gonna bitch about it like Jankovic did and then lose and end up being called a sore loser like she was.

As far as the topic goes... ehhh who cares... if Venus is in the top 4 and Serena isnt ranked #1 next year based on this years wimbledon Venus should get the #1 seed IMO.... but the real travesty is her being put on court 2.. those saying its being rebuilt who cares... the principle is even a rebuilt court 2 I doubt Federer will be out their next year...

Tennisstar86
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
That's a different issue, but yeah I agree on that point...but what do people want...Slams generally work like that...but it would be ridiculous to say Venus is the only one being forced to play on outer courts despite her status.

Venus is the only person to play on the outer courts who has her status because there is no other player on tour that has that status...

DA FOREHAND
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM
who the fuck cares

5 titles, won w/out the #1 seed next to her name. If it aint broke don't fix it!

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
who the fuck cares

5 titles, won w/out the #1 seed next to her name. If it aint broke don't fix it!

:lol: Agreed.