PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread, vol 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

~Kiera~
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Thought it would be a good idea to have a seperate thread to post news, articles, etc rather than clogging up some of the other threads.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-2547199,00.html

Playing with fire

Barry Flatman, tennis correspondent, in Melbourne

Jelena Jankovic says that there is more to life than tennis, but is determined to fulfil her potential on court

The hair is raven black rather than the emblematic blonde. The US became a means to a sporting education rather than a new home and an opportunity for a better life. The travelling bags are full of textbooks and the mind is more concerned with matters academic than forehands and backhands. Jelena Jankovic is not the stereotypical tennis prodigy. Yet with vacancies on offer at the top of the women’s game after the retirement of Lindsay Davenport and the imminent departure of Kim Clijsters, the 21-year-old Serb appears to be the new talent most likely to succeed.

Thus far on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in 2007 she has collected one title in Auckland and should have added another in Sydney, allowing a match point to slip in a tense final against Clijsters. Nevertheless, nine victories from 10 matches this year identify her as the form player going into the Australian Open, which will be devoid of world No 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Three days of rest should be sufficient for the 11th seed to recharge before starting her campaign, and a favourable draw, beginning with a first-round meeting against Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak, suggests she could at least equal her semi-final performance at last year’s US Open. There are other reasons to believe that Jankovic will be a contender when the women’s tournament reaches its climax in 13 days’ time. Six years ago, as Jennifer Capriati was outplaying Martina Hingis in the final, Jankovic became the junior champion and her ability on the Rebound Ace surface was confirmed.

Allowing the Sydney title to slip from her grasp rankled for a while, but she was soon willing to speculate on the future. “I don’t know if a new star is born,” she says with a smile. “Maybe.”

It would be wrong to categorise Jankovic on the basis of this statement and view this daughter of a couple of economists as another self-centred youngster who cares only about her own potential. She is appalled by the mindset of young female tennis players who seem consumed by their own games. She grimaces at the routine followed by so many of focusing totally on the sport and living a continuous cycle of airports, hotel rooms, practice courts and self-analysis.

“I don’t want to be a typical tennis player, who knows how to hit the forehand and backhand but does not think about anything else,” says the girl who did not only have to cope with homesickness when she arrived at Nick Bollettieri’s Florida tennis academy when she was 12 years old. In addition, she had to contend with the fact that Nato bombs were soon falling on her home city of Belgrade and her family were in peril.

“There is much more to life than tennis,” she says “This world is a fascinating place and we travel it all the time, stopping in all the great cities, which each have a story to tell. I look at so many of the other girls and think what opportunities they are wasting. They are tennis all the time and I was doing many other things. I like that balance. When I play, I like to focus, but when I finish, I like to do something else. I need to get my head outside of it and think about something else. I cannot think about tennis from morning until night.

“Other girls on the Tour don’t want to learn about the place they are staying or the culture. They are happy to fill their minds with tennis. That is not for me. I am different from the rest in so many ways. After tennis, I would like to do something as well. I think it’s very important.”

Such an outlook clearly contributes to her ability not to be intimidated by opponents. Last year’s Wimbledon saw her beat defending champion Venus Williams in the third round, while her progress in the US Open provided wins over 2004 winner Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva. The past week has seen her add the names of Hingis, a three-time Australian Open champion, and defending champion Amelie Mauresmo to her list of scalps.

In the same way that her parents view an economic situation, she rationalises her success over such esteemed opposition: “Beating these players is something that must be done if you want to win big titles, but you must not allow yourself to think they are any more special than you. I respect them, but I will not be scared of what they have achieved.”

Yet not so long ago Jankovic seriously considered whether she wanted to continue her tennis career and felt the lure to put more impetus into her studies. She is the only member of her family who is not a traditional academic. Her parents and older brother have degrees, her younger brother is in college and she is in the second year of a course at Megatrend University in Belgrade.

She is keeping her options open. Last spring she was prepared to turn her back on the courts after suffering first-round exits in all but one of her first 10 tournaments. Her enjoyment of the game evaporated, practice became a chore, the pain of defeat all too familiar. Her mind apparently made up, she headed to the city she finds the most inspirational, not to revitalise her competitive spirit but to bring it to a close. Her mother, Snezana (which translates into Snow White in Serbian), accompanied her to Rome and the magic of the Eternal City brought about a change of heart. “Sometimes some things are meant to be,” says Jankovic. “They just happen to change the thoughts and your path of life. Arriving in Rome, I regained my hunger.”

Since then her appetite for competition has been ravenous, and after sessions with a sports psychologist she also enthuses over the powers of positive thinking. If she does win, her joy will be immense, but she will quickly put it into context. “It will just be one very memorable part of my life, but it will not figure in the rest of my life. Always remember I am different to the rest.”
Link to volume 1 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=280794).

Cat123
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM
No blonde please.

And I so need more shopping-with-Beth piccies! :cool:

RFS
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Blonde :spit:

No. JJ. No.

Michael27
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks Alex.

~Kiera~
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.jj-jelenajankovic.com/eng/blog.php

Knee rehab

Hello fans,

I hope that all of you are enjoying this special summer since the most important event of this year is coming up only in several weeks. I am really looking forward flying to Beijing and playing the Olympics. It is such a different feeling since athletes get this chance to play at this event every four years, and for that matter all of us want to perform at the highest level. I am hoping for the gold medal, to cheer up all Serbs back home and of course make myself happy as well, hahaha.

The last time I wrote you, I informed you about my knee injury. Since I came back from London, I had to cancel my vacation plans in order to get daily treatments on my knee so I could be ready for everything that awaits me in the next couple of months. The specific problem is with the meniscus which is recuperating bit by bit. I only practiced one hour a day at the beginning of last week, and last night I arrived to the United States where I will start my more intensive preparation for Los Angeles and Montreal.

I tried to entertain myself while I was in Belgrade and really enjoyed spending time with the closest members of my life. I rarely get a chance to spend two weeks with them, so there is always positive side compared to some unfortunate things. I also managed to go to the seaside for a couple of days only. I went to Montenegro on business, but I took that opportunity to spend some time on the beach as well. This country?s nature is beautiful and half of my family roots come from this land. Adriatic Sea is amazing; the color of it is so unique. I am including few pictures of me that some friends of mine took while we were relaxing during the day.

One of the things you will be able to notice is that I have eaten too much chocolate, candies and breads, hahahaha. When you do not play for two weeks, muscles start relaxing too much which definitely I do not like so I am glad to start practicing again and bringing my body back to the great physical condition. I need to burn some of that additional fat gathered from this time while I was not playing.

That would be it for now. I just wanted to let you know my injury status and I hope I will be able to play next week in California. I love Los Angeles, I have had successes there in the last couple of years.

Hugs and kisses,

Jelena

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
So, she hopes to play LA but it's not sure thing that she will...Can't wait for the pics to see all that additional fat she has to burn! :lol:

PS All our threads are being butchered...:hysteric:

~Kiera~
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
PS All our threads are being butchered...:hysteric:

Someone make it stop :sobbing:

Ian Aberdon
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Dunno about family roots, her HAIR roots are receiving most attention at the mo...:lol:

ChriS.
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
JJ, blonde bimbo :drool:

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Besides tennis, what other sports do you like?
I adore golf, because it’s so relaxing. Once, I even played against my fitness coach who plays this sport regularily. This took place in Sarasota, Florida, and a professional golf player showed me the right way to hit the ball. When you just watch the game, it all seems simple and easy, but in reality, it’s very complicated. Whenever I have time, I play some one-hoop basketaball with my brothers’’.

How many suitcases do you travel with?
There’s a big one, in which I pack my tennis dresses, shorts, tennis t-shirts, and training suits. The racquets go in my tennis-bag. I also carry with me a Louis Vuitton suitcase with the wardrobe for going out – for example, a little black dress with which I can never go wrong, jeans and pumps. The things I can’t fit in my baggage end up in my mum’s.

What do you wear for the beach?

I wear a bath-suit, and depending on the occasion, I either wrap myself in a pareo or put on a summer dress. Usually I sport a pair of sandals, and if my hair is not perfect, I tie it with a hair-scraf. Also, good sunglasses, a big transparent bag in which I can fit a towel, sunscreens, magazines, books and a music player, are all mandatory. I never leave house without the wallet, because I always like to drop in cafe and have a drink with my friends.

It is well known that you dress well. Where and what for do you shop most often?

I adore going shopping in big cities, especially in Rome. I’m crazy about shoes and dresses, I’ll never have enough of them. Since I spend a lot of time waiting at the airports, I use those breaks to check out the latest cosmestic products in the well-stocked shops. I always buy loads of creams, lotions, and various make-up products, because I like playing with them.

Who are your favourite fashion designers?

I’m not one of those people addicted to only one brand. Lately, I’ve been mostly buying purses and sandals designed by Jimmy Chu. Also, I’ve treated myself to a few pairs of luxury Christian Louboutin shoes. But, since they all have high heels, I wear them only for special occasions, when I don’t find it hard to suffer in order to look good.

Does it take you long to get ready for an evening out?

For me, it’s important to lok feminine and elegant. I like to change styles and try out different looks. In such occasions, high heels are obligatory, because I do my training sessions in sneakers, so it’s the evenings when I can look glamurous.

Do you always wear make-up, or only in the evenings?

Since my eyes are a bit smallish, I always wear mascara in order to make them look bigger. I never fail to apply some lip-gloss, even when I’m about to get out on a tennis court. In the summer, I also use fake tan, altough I tan easily, because I’m out in the sun the whole year round.

Jelena's fashion philosophy from the Serbian magazine ''Gloria''. Thanks to Tara from the ''Discussions in Serbian'' thread.

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
See, you did a great job! It's better than anything I translated. :yeah:

So, 'salonke' are 'pumps'...I'd prolly translate it as saloon shoes! :rolls:

redsonja
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Jimmy Choos and Louboutins?? Seriously, I just want a chance to raid her shoe closet.

Also, :lol: at the fake tanning.

Ian Aberdon
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Zoja! :yeah:

I'll bet she's pulled more than once with that little black number! :lol:

(That right, Jamie, hmm?? :tape:)

RFS
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
But the girl's 100% correct - there's little that goes wrong with an LBD! It;s a must have in ANY suitcase!

I even think I took one when backpacking around Oz - and lo... we poshed ourselves up for a night at the opera house!

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Jimmy Choos and Louboutins?? Seriously, I just want a chance to raid her shoe closet.

Also, :lol: at the fake tanning.

Oh, hell, I misspelt him (whoever he is)! :lol:

See, you did a great job! It's better than anything I translated. :yeah:

So, 'salonke' are 'pumps'...I'd prolly translate it as saloon shoes! :rolls:

:kiss:
I was thinking in terms of ''salon shoes'', but than I decided to ask my mum, she's a real female(unlike myself)

Thanks Zoja! :yeah:

Thank Alex, he made me do it!

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM

I sure did! I did think you'd finish it earlier, though...Next time you're gonna have to meet a deadline of some sort. Yeah, you heard that right, this is unacceptable, people were waiting eagerly for that article! Look how excited Sonja is!

:rolls:

redsonja
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Oh, hell, I misspelt him (whoever he is)! :lol:
Whoever he is?? :o

I have been coveting Jimmy Choos (http://www.jimmychoo.com/pws/Home.ice) since I was 19, somehow I never manage to get any, although along the way I have picked up some Dolce & Gabbanas and Kenneth Coles and Stuart Weitzmans. :D

I was thinking in terms of ''salon shoes'', but than I decided to ask my mum, she's a real female(unlike myself)
Well, you save a lot of money not having a shoe habit like that. :lol:

Alex :hearts:

Look how excited Sonja is!
Shoes :hearts:

becky.really
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTINS!! a few pairs.

i wish

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Alex :hearts:

Shoes :hearts:

Sonja gives me the same smiley as for Choos and Louboutins!?
I'm so happy now. And. Proud. :lol:

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Yes, that was extremely sluggish, sorry! But I haven't done this sort of thing in such a long time, I had stage nerves! :rolls:
Sonj - I do have a shoes habit, only it doesn't have much to do with designer shoes, or at least not such high profile designers. I'm not much of a lady I'm afraid (my favourite clothes definitely can't be described as ''feminine and elegant'' :lol:), but it's not that I don't care what I wear. It's just that I'm a bit immature when it comes to fashion as well, so I can't imagine myself wearing a LBD and high heels, for example, because it's somehow...too serious. The other day, I went to a birthday party, and I really wanted to sport a pair of high-heeled sandals, but I thought I looked silly combining them with a normal summer dress. So, I came up with a brillinat idea of donning a short denim skirt and a shirt on which I had printed a big picture of Dolly Parton. I was absolutely thrilled with my outfit, becasue i thought it was hillarious. However, I got some strange looks from the people I didn't know, and when I sterted getting ready to go home, a couple of friends of mine stopped me and said: ''Wait, we'll go with you, you can't go by yourself dressed as a hooker!'' :speakles:
People just don't understand my sense of humour, that's the problem I have with fashion. :shrug: :rolls:

~Kiera~
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Jelena should ask for a % of the profits ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/christian-louboutin-SIGNED-decolzep-heels-41-11-10_W0QQitemZ270254728980QQihZ017QQcategoryZ63889QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638 Q2em122

However, I got some strange looks from the people I didn't know, and when I sterted getting ready to go home, a couple of friends of mine stopped me and said: ''Wait, we'll go with you, you can't go by yourself dressed as a hooker!'' :speakles:
People just don't understand my sense of humour, that's the problem I have with fashion. :shrug: :rolls:

:lol:

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM
and when I started getting ready to go home, a couple of friends of mine stopped me and said: ''Wait, we'll go with you, you can't go by yourself dressed as a hooker!'' :speakles:

:rolls: :haha: :lol:
edit. People in GM say that about JJ all the time. She dresses as a hooker all the time apparently and she IS wearing designers clothes! :lol:

People just don't understand my sense of humour

Strange people, those who don't get your humour...:shrug:

PS Those blue shoes on JJ in my avatar really are sexy and they make Jelena look even hotter! :drool:
I think I remembered Sonja had said they were Louboutins.

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM
:rolls: :haha: :lol:
edit. People in GM say that about JJ all the time. She dresses as a hooker all the time apparently and she IS wearing designers clothes! :lol:

Well, I guess I looked like a cheap hooker. :rolls:

Strange people, those who don't get your humour...:shrug:

:ras:
j/k but no one really got the joke. Half of them had no idea who Dolly Parton is at all.

PS Those blue shoes on JJ in my avatar really are sexy and they make Jelena look even hotter! :drool:
I think I remembered Sonja had said they were Louboutins.

I think this link Sarah posted shows a pair of shoes just like JJ's, only different colour. I like those, I must admit.

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Well, I guess I looked like a cheap hooker. :rolls:

Yep, cheap hooker - that's JJ, too, according to GM smart-asses...

:ras:
j/k but no one really got the joke. Half of them had no idea who Dolly Parton is at all.

Was it a good pic of her? I mean - was it a really full frontal bust close-up? :lol:

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Yep, cheap hooker - that's JJ, too, according to GM smart-asses...

Cheap? They are mad - I've checked out Jimmy Choo's site Sonja posted a link to, as well as the one Sarah posted - those shoes cost a fortune! She may be a tramp, but she ain't cheap! :rolls:

Was it a good pic of her? I mean - was it a really full frontal bust close-up? :lol:

:lol: Wait, I've got it somewhere on the disc (since I had it printed on a shirt)

Hear it is - a vintage Dolly Parton:

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
That pic of DP disappoints me. :lol:

redsonja
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
However, I got some strange looks from the people I didn't know, and when I sterted getting ready to go home, a couple of friends of mine stopped me and said: ''Wait, we'll go with you, you can't go by yourself dressed as a hooker!'' :speakles:

PS Those blue shoes on JJ in my avatar really are sexy and they make Jelena look even hotter!
I. Love. Those shoes. I even looked for them for awhile, but I could only ever find the orange, and I don't really do very much orange. :p

She looks, strangely enough, a little like JJ in a blonde wig. :p

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM

Sorry, Alex. I also have one of Katharine Hepburn that I used for a shirt, but - as you can imagine - that one's even more disappointing.

Brena
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
While I'm at this ruthless spamming, I'll add just one more pic - my dream shoes:

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v254/93/88/589539286/n589539286_481733_5301.jpg

I saw these at a second-hand shop in London.

redsonja
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I actually just went into my closet and got out all my favourite shoes. Gosh, they're pretty. Okay, a couple of them actually make my feet bleed, but they're still pretty. :lol:

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
:rolls: Zoja, that's so British glam punk or whatever that era was called...

Ian Aberdon
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Zoja I'm sure I saw David Bowie wear a pair of your dream shoes............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......in 1972 :devil: :bolt:

becky.really
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
can totally identify with looking at your beautiful yet painful shoes...when i have to tidy the kitchen i always wear my high shoes!! My excuse is that I need to wear them in...

Tashi
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM
There is an Ask Jelena a question on the tennis part of ESPN.com cuz she's gonna have an interview with them.:)

redsonja
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
"Dear Jelena, can I please have your blue Louboutins?"

What? :shrug: It's a question. :shrug:

RFS
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
"Dear Jelena, can I please have your blue Louboutins?"

What? :shrug: It's a question. :shrug:

Maybe if you phrased it like... "can I borrow your blue Louboutins (it's just... y'know... indefinately)?" it might sit better... maybe... no?

redsonja
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
They're 7 months old now, they're completely passe. She should be happy I'm taking them off her hands instead of her having to stare at her old, out-of-season shoes every time she looks in her closet.

Brena
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
:rolls: Zoja, that's so British glam punk or whatever that era was called...

Zoja I'm sure I saw David Bowie wear a pair of your dream shoes............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......in 1972 :devil: :bolt:

I thought they were actually something from the 60s - Mary Quant, Emma Peel, Twiggy, etc.
But I absolutely adore David Bowie's and the general glam-rock style. Silver platformed shoes mmmmmmmmmmmmm :inlove::inlove::inlove:

Ian Aberdon
Jul 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Queen Bitch (1972) is one of my fav Bowie tracks. And NO, I am NOT speaking about Sharapova!! :lol:

Cat123
Jul 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Oh no you didn't just say that.... :(

:rolleyes: You're on my list.

And yes, Bowie is a legend. I used to hate him, I had terrible taste in music as a teen. :lol:

Ian Aberdon
Jul 19th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Cat, I said I was NOT speaking about Sharapova! :lol:

Ooh on a list. Reminds me of the Dad's Army joke (classic Britski comedy about the Home Guard in WW2) - the platoon are captured :

Pike: Hitler is a Twerp...
German Officer: Your name vill also be on ze list...vot is it?
Capt Mainwairing: DON'T TELL HIM, PIKE!!"
Gerry: AH, PIKE!!!

Doh! :lol:

becky.really
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
LOL!! They are on the tv at the moment, just saw the one where they want to take over Godfreys house and they can't find a way to tell him. Then Frazier blackmails the minister so it doesn't go ahead, they just move the airfield and as they are all sat there congratulating eachother a fighter plane goes over and blows them all over...the tears were rolling down my face.

~Kiera~
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.visit-montenegro.com/article-mne-6429.htm

J.J. in Budva!

Capital of Montenegrin Tourism – Famous Destination for Jet Set: Budva has been and still is the famous designation of domestic and international jet set – this claim is supported with the most recent arrival of the Princess of Tennis, Jelena Jankovic, who has decided to relax between to tournaments in the metropolis of Montenegrin tourism

Budva – Budva has been and still is the famous designation of domestic and international jet set – this claim is supported with the most recent arrival of the Princess of Tennis, Jelena Jankovic, who has decided to relax between to tournaments in the metropolis of Montenegrin tourism.

Famous JJ has spent several days on holidays with her parents, resting in a luxurious villa in hotel complex “Avala.” Although she has many obligations, Jankovic has decided to “recharge” in Budva and be ready for the upcoming professional challenges.

Jelena, who is Number 2 in the world at the moment, is one of the most liked faces in the world tennis.

According to our sources, JJ has rented an expensive yacht. She also used her vacation in Budva for shooting sessions of a special documentary done by a Belgian production company, interested in lifestyle of this famous lady.

Jelena, who has Montenegrin origins, as her father comes from a small town near Bijelo Polje, fell in love in Budva. We also learned she was considering to build her holiday house on this, nicest part of Montenegrin coastline.

During her 5-day-stay, Jelena enjoyed cruising along Montenegrin coastline, accompanied by her family and friends.

After its’ spectacular opening, “Avala” became the most popular hotel for music stars from across former Yugoslavia.

Apart from controversial Croatian pop-star, Severina, this hotel’s suits are also welcoming numerous diplomats and politicians. After a long break, this brings “Avala” back to the top-position on the list of the most glamorous hotels on the coast.

(21 July 2008)

дalex
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Sarah. :D

I thought it would be something from LA, though. Hey, will there be a livestream for LA? You know those things Sarah...There's a Watch Live section on tourney's website...:shrug:

Ian Aberdon
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
A BELGIAN production company? So THAT'S what Justine does now...STILL can't leave JJ alone! :lol:

~Kiera~
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks Sarah. :D

I thought it would be something from LA, though. Hey, will there be a livestream for LA? You know those things Sarah...There's a Watch Live section on tourney's website...:shrug:

I think it said the exact same thing last year but there was never any livestream links available. We may get a link on Friday as it's showing on ESPN and the Tennis Channel, but other than that it seems like our viewing options are very limited.

дalex
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_9954603
TENNIS NOTEBOOK: Jankovic will do her best
By Phil Collin, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 07/21/2008 11:35:29 PM PDT

The tournament already has been hit by the withdrawals of Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport and Svetlana Kuznetsova, and top-seeded Jelena Jankovic arrived Monday complaining she's not quite at full strength, either.

"I'm not 100 percent ready to play this week, but I will use this tournament as preparation and play as much as possible, hopefully, to get ready for the big tournaments," Jankovic said.

"I don't know how this week will go for me."

Jankovic was asked about the new "road map" schedule the players on the WTA Tour will have next year. The tour will be streamlined and the season shortened in order to preserve the health of players who toil year-round.

In theory, at least.

"It will be easier for players to recover and not have any injuries," Jankovic said. "Last year I played over 100 matches and didn't have any injuries, but this year I have played not as many matches, but I am having more problems."

Jankovic, who lost in the fourth round at Wimbledon, will represent Serbia in the Olympics next month for the second time in her career.

"It will be a special feeling to be with all the Serbian athletes," she said.

"Last time I was roommates with a girl in ping-pong - how do you call this sport? Oh, table tennis?" she added, laughing.

"All I know is they were changing (the cover of the paddle) every day. The whole floor smelled like the glue they used."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKSP21632820080722?sp=true

Tennis-Jankovic hoping to crown ranking milestone with slam win
By Matthew Cronin

LOS ANGELES, July 21 (Reuters) - Jelena Jankovic's childhood ambition of topping the world rankings could be realised with victory at this week's Los Angeles Classic but the injury-prone Serbian would love to embellish the feat with a grand slam win.

"Since I was a young girl it's been my dream and every player's dream to become number one and by achieving that, you take the monkey off your back," Jankovic told Reuters ahead of the tournament at which she is the top seed.

"When you get older, at least one day you can say you were number one and no one can take that away from you. You are in history and it's a great achievement.

"But I would also like to win a grand slam, to take that step forward and go to the next level."

Jankovic has come close to topping the rankings before, falling in the semi-finals of this year's French Open to compatriot Ana Ivanovic with the number one spot of the line.

Up a break in a deciding third set, the match seemed there for the taking but Ivanovic played with more ambition while Jankovic seemed to feel the pressure of the moment.

"She was the better player," Jankovic admitted.

"It was a couple of points either way. She played a couple points where a big forehand went in rather than going out. It was her time, maybe mine will come later."

Jankovic, who has yet to reach a grand slam final, is refusing to pinpoint exactly when her time will come, however.

FRUSTRATING INJURY

The world number two has only managed four days of practice since tearing the meniscus in her left knee at Wimbledon last month and although she has made a remarkable recovery, the Serb is still struggling to regain her famed agility around the court.

The 23-year-old is planning to peak at next month's Beijing Olympics or the U.S. Open, but insists her knee has to heal fully before she can make a strong run.

"The doctor told me that I was going to be out for a couple of months," Jankovic said.

"I don't know how I'm back on court already. It's surprising.

"At first, I couldn't go up stairs, I couldn't wear heels, it was frustrating but it's healing quite fast and I'm happy."

Jankovic said that the muscle around the affected area was still weak, so she was treating the Los Angeles tournament more as a warm-up than a stand-alone event that she believes she could win.

"It's shaking," she said of the knee.

"I try to move and my leg kind of collapses. I'm a little scared when I have to run for certain balls because I can break something and be out a really long time.

"It's a really important part of season with the Olympics and U.S. Open coming up."

This year, Jankovic has reduced her schedule in order to lessen the wear and tear on her body, but she says that that last year, when she played more than 100 matches, she felt healthier.

"This is how life goes -- you cannot predict anything," she said.

"There is a no right or wrong way. I've had so many problems with my health this year that it's amazing I'm still number two." (Editing by John O'Brien)

It's not that surprising, babe! Everyone already knows you're mad! :rolleyes:

RFS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Oi. Vey.

дalex
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Confus/mini-frappadingue-12839.gif

Brena
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Oi. Vey.

Ditto. :help:

~Kiera~
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
:cuckoo:

Destiny
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Why the hell is she playing if she's not ready :mad:

I don't get this with these players :rolleyes:

Destiny
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
:smash:

Wrekin
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I couldn't wear heels, it was frustrating

Just as long as she's got her priorities right :lol:

Cilla
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Just as long as she's got her priorities right :lol:

I know :rolls: I was :o when I read that bit :lol:

Ian Aberdon
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
IT's shaking...WE'RE SHAKING JJ...with worry!!

Wrekin
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
On further reflection...

If she can totter about a boat at sea in a bikini and heels, things can't be that bad - can they? :tape:

redsonja
Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I seriously don't know why people (Jelena included) insist on seeing the rosy, optimistic side of this. :lol:

Look, there is no rosy, optimistic side. She tore her meniscus. Yes. It's "that bad", no matter what she says or does.

Optima
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Not really news, well..I guess it could be, but yesterday I was flipping through the August issue of tennis magazine and saw an article about what Jelena's facebook page might look like :lol: It suggested some of the status updates of her and her friends:

"Jelena's lip gloss is poppin'"

"Mikhail Youzhny is applying HEAD-ON directly to the forehead"

"Ana Ivanovic is draining the pool"

"Novak Djokovic is too sexy for his shirt"

"Maria Sharapova is re-thinking the bangs"

Just a couple I could remember.

RFS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Not really news, well..I guess it could be, but yesterday I was flipping through the August issue of tennis magazine and saw an article about what Jelena's facebook page might look like :lol: It suggested some of the status updates of her and her friends:

"Jelena's lip gloss is poppin'"

"Mikhail Youzhny is applying HEAD-ON directly to the forehead"

"Ana Ivanovic is draining the pool"

"Novak Djokovic is too sexy for his shirt"

"Maria Sharapova is re-thinking the bangs"

Just a couple I could remember.

:haha:
I sense a new thread...!

дalex
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
:lol: Tennis Magazine know their stuff!

ivanban
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
:drool: several serbian newspapers (including most important serbian sport newspaper Sportski Zurnal) wrote in today edition (some of them even on cover page), that JJ will be #1 from next monday, regardless of how far she goes in LA :drool: :worship:
Here are some of them:

http://www.alo.co.yu/sport/5273/Jeca_prva_ni_kriva_ni_duzna

http://www.mtsmondo.com/sport/football/text.php?vest=103864

~Kiera~
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3499601

Williams said she's not concerned about playing outdoors in Beijing's gray-tinted air, where she's competed twice before in a WTA tournament.

"I also play in New York and L.A. and let's face it, we're no saints here," she said.

Jelena Jankovic of Serbia has also played in Beijing, where she said a fine coating of soot covered her body during matches.

"It was a quite dirty, quite polluted area, but hopefully they will do the best they can to clear it because sometimes it looks like it's foggy," she said. "It can affect your breathing."

Have Serena and Jelena been spending time together recently? They both seem to have adopted the ignore all advice and hope for the best approach.

Tashi
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
JJ needs :help:. She's :cuckoo:. Dammit woman, don't play!:(

Optima
Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
"It's shaking," she said of the knee.

"I try to move and my leg kind of collapses. I'm a little scared when I have to run for certain balls because I can break something and be out a really long time.

WTF? DON'T PLAY! :help: :smash: :rolls: :timebomb:

RFS
Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Perhaps instead of the Rozzie trademark of Come the fuck ON, JJ we need to change it to Optima's WTF, Don't Play 'cos that works for me!

Cat123
Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Jelena, you are insane. What are you playing at?! Don't make me come over there... :( :help:

Brena
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
''I might break something or get a career threatening injury or die, but I'll play anyway, because it's so much fun!''
Reebok should make her a straight-jacket.

~Kiera~
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
She's the sort of person who'd put her head in a crocodile's mouth for fun.

redsonja
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
She's the sort of person who'd put her head in a crocodile's mouth for fun.

Don't give her any ideas.

becky.really
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
It's perfectly safe to suggest things to her, 'cause you know that she will just ignore whatever you say...CONTINUE

~Kiera~
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/8367888/No.-1-ranking-within-Jankovic's-reach

No. 1 ranking within Jankovic's reach

by Matt Cronin, Special to FOXSports.com

LOS ANGELES - If Jelena Jankovic's damaged left knee stops shaking and she can get back the business of running gamely sideline to sideline, she could become the world's new No.1 this week at the East West Bank Classic at the Home Depot Center.

If she does so, the world No. 2 would become the third player in Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history to grab the top spot without having won a Grand Slam, following Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo, who did end up winning majors later in their careers.

That's a mandatory requirement for someone expecting a comparable level of respect in the locker room. Jankovic knows this very well, but she'll take the top spot any way she can snare it — hurt or healthy, happy or sad. She's an ultra-competitive sort with an obsessive love of the spotlight and she couldn't imagine ending her career without walking on court and some fan yelling, "There's that new No. 1 from Serbia."

"Since I was a young girl it's been my dream and every player's dream to become No. 1 and by achieving that, you take the monkey off your back," Jankovic said. "When you get older, at least one day you can say you were No. 1 and no one can take that away from you. You are in history and it's a great achievement. But I would also like to win a grand slam, to take that step forward and go to the next level."

That giant leap ahead is going to be difficult if she can't get herself right physically, or convince herself that she really has the goods to compete consistently.

Just before Wimbledon, she went to a pre-event parity hosted by Virgin where many of the world's elite were lined up for a photo opportunity. Jankovic looked good, but didn't exactly stand heads and shoulders above the rest.

"I'm one of the smallest ones, now that Justine (Henin) is gone," she said. "I saw the picture from the party and you see Williams sisters, (Ana) Ivanovic and (Maria) Sharapova and I'm a head shorter than everybody. I'm 5-9 and a half, and I'm the shorter one. You can imagine how big those girls are."

Size matters, but as the quick and powerful Henin showed during her dominant stretches, it doesn't mean everything. Jankovic is quicker than Venus, Serena, Ivanovic and Sharapova, but not as strong with her serve or forehand. But she's has beaten all of them by being relentless and sporting a sweet two-handed backhand that is as lethal as anyone's.

"Everything matters," she said. "You need to be agile and strong physically. Some are genetically stronger than others, you can't compare. It's how strong I can get within my limits. I can't be as strong as the Williams sisters. I don't want to have illusions. I try to go in the gym, do my job and get more power and get faster. You have to work hard or harder than anyone else if you want to be No. 1 and be up with other big girls."

The 23-year-old has had a very trying year physically, riddled with viruses ("you see me blowing my nose at every tournament") and various other aliments, including her knee injury ("I couldn't go up the stairs, I couldn't wear heels. It was frustrating") which her doctor said could keep her out for a couple of months.

"Last year I didn't have any problems, I played 100 matches and every week I was playing," she said. "This year I'm playing much less and I'm having problems non-stop. This is how life goes and you cannot predict anything. There is a no right or wrong way. Things happen for a reason and sometimes for no reason. You don't know what to expect. When you are not 100 percent, it's hard to have your best results."

Her 2008 results have been mixed, with only one title, albeit a significant one in Rome, and two Grand Slam semifinals, the Australian and French Opens. It was in Paris when she had her last great shot at No.1, up 3-1 in the third set over Ivanovic before she began playing defensively and allowed her compatriot to seize the day, the tournament and the top spot.

"Throughout the whole Roland Garros I was in pain and it was by luck that I got there," she said. "I'm strong in that way that I don't like to give up and retire. I always think that even if I'm hurt and in pain I can come out the winner. (But) she was the better player. It was a couple of points either way. She played a couple points where a big forehand went in rather than going out. But it was her time. Maybe my time will come later."

Maybe, but when? Could it be this week in L.A., in a weakened field where Wimbledon champion Venus Williams, No. 4 Svetlana Kuznetsova and former No. 1 Lindsay Davenport all pulled out with knee injuries and Wimbledon finalist Serena Williams, who is still in the draw, is hobbled and says she's taking it day-by-day?

Unlikely, but now that Jankovic knows that No.1 is on the table, she might go all out. It doesn't sound like it, but Jankovic is as enigmatic as they come.

"It's shaking," she said of her knee. "I try to move and my leg kind of collapses. I'm a little scared when I have to run for certain balls because I can break something and be out a really long time. It's (a) really important part of (the) season with Olympics and U.S. Open coming up."

The Serbian has only been practicing for the past four days after tearing the meniscus in her left knee during Wimbledon and was less than thrilled to miss her normal summer beach vacation in order to rehab. Jankovic is relieved that her year isn't done, but isn't the mark of patience when it comes to dealing with life's many hurdles.

Maybe if her fortune takes a turn for the better, she can rediscover the bright side of life — as the No. 1 of course.

"You never know what tomorrow will bring," she said. "I want to be positive and have fun, which is the most important thing. I want to be healthy because then whether you win or lose matches, at least you tried, and you know you fought hard. But when you lose and are in pain and suffering, you go to treatment and it's hard to enjoy.

"People ask me, 'Where's your smile?' It's hard to smile when you are hurt and have problems. Smiling comes naturally for me, it has to be spontaneous and come from the inside."

redsonja
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
The Serbian has only been practicing for the past four days after tearing the meniscus in her left knee during Wimbledon and was less than thrilled to miss her normal summer beach vacation in order to rehab. Jankovic is relieved that her year isn't done, but isn't the mark of patience when it comes to dealing with life's many hurdles.
I can just see her huffing and puffing and pouting and :rolleyes: when everyone pointed out to her that clearly this was the only intelligent thing to do. :lol:

(Of course, that she listened is a minor miracle. :p)

~Kiera~
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_9966198

Commentary: Jankovic shows she can talk a patient game
By Mike Waldner, Staff Columnist

You have yet to hear a stadium or arena rock with the chant, "We're No. 2."

So what's it like to be ranked second in the world in tennis among women, Jelena Jankovic?

You assume the Serbian star has her big, bright, blue eyes on No. 1, currently held by fellow Serb Ana Ivanovic.

Not so, according to her.

"I don't think about it," she insisted.

And Kobe Bryant is not frustrated over the rude manner in which the Lakers were spanked by Paul Pierce and the Celtics in the NBA Finals.

Jankovic smiled.

It was a big, bright smile to go with her eyes.

"If you give 100 percent, things will come," she said with conviction.

The young lady is a philosopher with a tennis racket.

"I don't put pressure on myself," she said in all seriousness.

This, of course, is the flip side of the athlete who says only she (or he) puts pressure on herself (himself) as a way of insisting outside forces, such as opposing athletes, family, friends, fans and even the ever-present press, have no influence on what is going on in her (his) head.

"I'm having fun," Jankovic said.

Aren't they all?

Having fun is the catch-all phrase today for athletes, ranging from Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor in beach volleyball to Russell Martin catching for the Dodgers.

That's their mantra.

For Jankovic, what's not to be fun when you're 23 and playing in the East West Bank Classic For Jankovic, what's not to be fun when you're 23 and playing in the East West Bank Classic at Home Depot Center on the Carson campus of Cal State Dominguez Hills with all of the South Bay, plus Beverly Hills if you wish to challenge the freeway, as your playground for a week?

As Daniela Hantuchova, a Slovakian who now lives in Monte Carlo, said of her temporary residence in Manhattan Beach: "You can walk to the beach in the morning and see people riding bikes."

It's a tough life, but someone has to do it.

Jankovic's climb in the season-ending rankings has been steady, from No. 361 in 2001 to 194 in 2002 to 85 in 2003 to 28 in 2004 to 22 in 2005 to 12 in 2006 to 3 in 2007.

Taking clear aim on No. 1 is understandable.

"As long as I get it once," she said.

Of course she wants to be No. 1.

"No one can take it away from you," she said.

That's not philosophy, it's a fact of life in tennis.

The hot-button topic this week is the infamous air pollution in Beijing and the impact it will have on the Olympics.

In a small-sample poll, Serena Williams, who pulled out of the tournament due to an injured left knee that needs time to heal before the Olympics, dismissed questions by saying she has played in Beijing, New York and Los Angeles (actually, Manhattan Beach and Carson). Having grown up in Compton, she's no stranger to smog.

Hantuchova took a similar stand.

"We are used to playing in much worse conditions, such as the heat in Australia," she said.

Jankovic was candid.

"It's dirty," she said of the air in Beijing. "Sometimes it looks like it is fog and you can't see buildings."

As for the Olympics themselves, Williams bounced around when discussing her favorite sport beyond tennis.

"I like the sprints," she said.

If she had not become a tennis star?

"I'd run the 100 meters and 200 meters," she said.

Back to what she likes to watch.

"My favorite sport is gymnastics," she said. "And I love swimming."

Interestingly, she watched archery in Sydney in 2000.

Why?

"I don't know," she said.

She shrugged.

"It was fun," she said. "They're so accurate."

RFS
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
What the hell?
Taking clear aim on No. 1 is understandable.

"As long as I get it once," she said.

Of course she wants to be No. 1.

"No one can take it away from you," she said.

Ummm... yes they can?? :shrug: :confused:
A Slam Title ... THAT stays with you forever!

What a bizarre article though - it just looks like they've gathered up random quotes and lumped them together... aimed that at a website for feeds to pick up... and voila... JJ's latest pearls of wisdom!!!

Brena
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm 5-9 and a half, and I'm the shorter one.

:scared:

I'm 5'3'' on a good day... Dominika, my friend! :rolls:

дalex
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
http://www.mtsmondo.com/entertainment/vesti/text.php?vest=104072

It seems JJ will star in a (long) documentary about her life on tour. They were shooting it in Madrid last year and Berlin this year. It also mentions Sevilla - so I guess it's when she had that tennis match in a football stadium. The movie is called "Jelena's world" and it will be finished by September. It's a Serbian-German co-production.

"The presence of camera never affected what was happening in Jelena's life. That's the best thing about this project cos we were trying to be like a shadow that follows her around and records typical moments in her professional life. We subtly peeked into life of a top tennis player, but we will also show some segments public doesn't know about", said Tanja Bozovic.

Anna Chakvetadze and Elena Dementieva will also show up in the movie, as well as Justine Henin just a week before her official retirement, Jelena's coach Ricardo Sanchez...

The movie will reveal to the public all the activities of a professional tennis player at big tournaments, but also some things that we don't hear often about - training sessions, different presentations, shootings, players' interaction, receptions, and also some more intimate details like joy or tears after a tennis match, struggle with injuries and their consequences.

"The way we were shooting this movie is really unconventional. Jelena is a very positive and intelligent person with a great sense of humour. She is patient and professional. The movie shows the greatness of her spirit. The top athletes are fully devoted to their sport and they really love it. That's one of the aspects we wanted to show in this movie."

http://www.mtsmondo.com/slike/vesti/001/040/v104072p0.jpg

"No, Jelena, you don't need to cry when you wake up!"
"But, I really want to, I'm emotional and I'm a real actress..."
"No, Jelena...you're just waking up..."
"I cry all the time, you'll see it will be great..."

~Kiera~
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Ummm... yes they can?? :shrug: :confused:
A Slam Title ... THAT stays with you forever!
I think they're exactly the same. If she gets to No. 1, it will always, always say in her WTA profile that her highest ranking was No. 1, and the date she achieved it. Likewise, if she wins a Grand Slam, it will always, always say that she won that tournament. Both of them will always be under your name, and the likelihood of retaining either indefinitely is nil.

:spit:

RFS
Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
I think they're exactly the same. If she gets to No. 1, it will always, always say in her WTA profile that her highest ranking was No. 1, and the date she achieved it. Likewise, if she wins a Grand Slam, it will always, always say that she won that tournament. Both of them will always be under your name, and the likelihood of retaining either indefinitely is nil.

Yeah 'spose... I reckon I came at it from an athletics point of view where once the record has gone, there might be a mention of it somewhere but to be honest all anyone cares about are the medals at the Major champs...

Let's face it.. on her current form she'd be lucky to hold on to #1 for 5 minutes before it runs away from her and she hyperextends her knee trying to get after it.

Feeling nervous about her match now... I just hope to god she really doesn't damage herself to rule her out of the Olympics, the rest of the year and/or her entire career tonight.

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Feeling nervous about her match now... I just hope to god she really doesn't damage herself to rule her out of the Olympics, the rest of the year and/or her entire career tonight.

Some people have to learn their lessons the hard way.

Wrekin
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Some people have to learn their lessons the hard way.

Sonja, you can be so implacable http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Surpris/peur.gif

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Sonja, you can be so implacable http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Surpris/peur.gif

Yes. I'm a big tough love person. :lol:

schorsch
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
:sad:

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Matt Cronin did an interview with Jelena on Tennis Live Radio (http://www.tennisliveradio.com/) in the 2d part of the broadcast last night. It's about 26 minutes in.

A lot of it is not new because the quotes have been used in articles, but I'm amused because he sounds about as interested in her litany of "but... but... but" as I would. :lol:

дalex
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
:lol: I think Chris Fowler is the only one who knows how to deal with JJ...Matt, god bless him, was all "really?...aha...aha...aha...aha....riiiight" :rolls:.
You could feel JJ would like to talk about anything that's on her mind...I bet that at that "heels moment" Chris would crack a joke or something and Matt just kept asking these "serious" questions. JJ is not a serious type, and she did manage to make him laugh at one point when she said that things sometimes happen for a reason and sometimes without any reason. :lol:

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Matt wants serious answers to serious questions, like, hey, what up with that RG semi? And then gets exasperated and :rolleyes: when she gives him complete non-answers.

Whereas Chris wants to adopt her and take her home for Thanksgiving dinner, and maybe make sure she gets some good R&R by sending her out for a spa day with his wife. :lol:

ChriS.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Good interview. She loves talking about her injuries. If she really has suffered that much this year just wait until next year when she has a coach and no injuries.

дalex
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Matt wants serious answers to serious questions, like, hey, what up with that RG semi? And then gets exasperated and :rolleyes: when she gives him complete non-answers.

Whereas Chris wants to adopt her and take her home for Thanksgiving dinner, and maybe make sure she gets some good R&R by sending her out for a spa day with his wife. :lol:

I think JJ likes Chris better though...Like after a day of tennis I guess tennis is not her favourite topic for conversation. :lol:

If she really has suffered that much this year just wait until next year when she has a coach and no injuries.

Something always goes wrong. That's why we have Jankobitches Excuse Thread. :lol:
But we can always hope for the best, I guess.

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I think JJ likes Chris better though...Like after a day of tennis I guess tennis is not her favourite topic for conversation. :lol:
JJ likes Chris better because when she goes into an interview with Chris and says she's cold, he finds her a jacket to wear. If she walked into an interview with Matt Cronin and said she was cold, he'd be like, "Uh huh." :lol:

Something always goes wrong. That's why we have Jankobitches Excuse Thread. :lol:
But we can always hope for the best, I guess.
A coach and no injuries? Chasing pipe dreams, that's all that is. :lol:

дalex
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
JJ likes Chris better because when she goes into an interview with Chris and says she's cold, he finds her a jacket to wear. If she walked into an interview with Matt Cronin and said she was cold, he'd be like, "Uh huh." :lol:

Hey, I think Matt reads these pages occasionally. Matt, be nice to JJ and give her a jacket - preferably a straitjacket. :lol:

Bruno71
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hey, I think Matt reads these pages occasionally. Matt, be nice to JJ and give her a jacket - preferably a straitjacket. :lol:

That oughtta take the pressure off her knee :lol:

дalex
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
:lol: But interesting part of that interview was when she said she was okayed by the doctors to play. I mean Matt kinda surprised her with that question and she just said "yeah" but I wonder if it's true. That would be a good news and possibly the lamest meniscus tear ever. :lol:

redsonja
Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
:lol: But interesting part of that interview was when she said she was okayed by the doctors to play. I mean Matt kinda surprised her with that question and she just said "yeah" but I wonder if it's true. That would be a good news and possibly the lamest meniscus tear ever. :lol:

I wondered the same thing. If she's actually been cleared to play, well, um, okay. If not... into the straitjacket (PS: Matt, she'd probably prefer pink, but good old bleached beige will do.)

Tashi
Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I think pink is best. That way he can tell her it's a new couture piece and he won't have any problems getting her in it.

Cat123
Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
How about purple and made from bits of old toasters and ipods and stuff?? Oh, you could use paperclips to make sure it's bound together really tightly... ;)

~Kiera~
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I suspect Jelena pays doctors to give her the answers she wants.

"So Jelena, the MRI scans shows you have a meniscus tear. Now, for most athletes this sort of injury would require surgery which would put them out of action for months, but in your case it's not going to be a problem! With your super healing body and never before injured knees, you'll be back on your feet in a couple of weeks. It might be a bit painful for a while though..."

redsonja
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I suspect she does a lot of the "but is it going to get worse" questions.
Doctor: "So, you tore your meniscus, and that generally requires at least 6 weeks rest and intense therapy, you might have to have surgery down the line..."
Jelena: "But is it going to get worse? If I play on it?"
Doctor: "The meniscus itself? Probably not, but the tendons and ligaments and muscles in your knee and your leg..."
Jelena: "So the meniscus isn't going to get worse? Great! I'll schedule a court for Thursday."
Doctor: "But..."
Jelena: "See you later!"

:rolleyes:

~Kiera~
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM

I bet she's a nightmare to treat.

redsonja
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:29 AM

I bet she's a nightmare to treat.

:lol: I love her, put I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to have to be her coach, her doctor, her trainer, her dog-walker...

~Kiera~
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Perhaps that's why she needs her special "bone breaker" doctor. Nobody else is crazy enough to treat her ;)

redsonja
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I wonder what his secret is? Maybe he breaks something else to take her mind off what the original problem was. "Are you sure I don't need my scapula?" "You'll be fine."

schorsch
Jul 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
its a she... and actually bruno and i talked about it and we came to the conclusion that she must be a mix between classic and alternative med.

and those alt. methods must be mysterious serbian secrets and we dont even wanna get close to knowing them :lol:

дalex
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
^ :lol:

Piska
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/10906945/rss
CARSON, Calif. -- Jelena Jankovic opened her bid to gain the No. 1 ranking with a 7-5, 6-2 victory against American Vania King in the East West Bank Classic on Wednesday night.
The top-seeded Serbian could knock countrywoman Ana Ivanovic from the top spot by winning the tournament, her first since injuring her right knee at Wimbledon.
King pressed Jankovic throughout the first set before the Serb took control in the second.
"My leg felt fine, I didn't have any pain," Jankovic said. "I felt a little bit slow when I was moving around, not so explosive like I'm used to. It's just a matter of feeling more comfortable."
The injury withdrawals of Serena and Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport and Svetlana Kuznetsova have taken much of the luster off this year's tournament, and Jankovic noticed.
"It's really unfortunate this tournament doesn't have many people," she said. "The stadium is quite empty which is unusual because most of our tournaments are a full house."
The lack of fans made Jankovic's cheering section -- local Serbs sporting "JJ's Crew" T-shirts -- stand out.
"I'm obviously not 100 percent and I'm not playing my best tennis, but little by little, I will try to do it, especially for the big tournaments," said Jankovic, who is scheduled to play in the Beijing Olympics. "Hopefully, I will keep getting better."
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_9978286?source=rss
CARSON -- Top seed Jelena Jankovic became the last player to start her first match Wednesday night in the 54-player East West Bank Classic at Home Depot Center. And it took her almost as long to get going before defeating Long Beach's Vania King, 7-5, 6-2, in a match that featured a rare critical reversal on instant replay.
Under the old rules of tennis, the second-ranked Serb would have lost the first set, 6-4, and then who knows?
But she challenged an out call trailing 5-4, 40-15, that would have won the set for the 98 th-ranked King and electronic replay clearly showed the ball was well in at the baseline.
Still down but given new life, Jankovic won the next four points on King's serve to take the game and make it 5-5. She then held her serve and broke King again to close out the first set. The second set was never close as King fell to 7-16 this season.
"I wanted to win that first set badly because I did not want to play three sets," said Jankovic, who has been recovering from a leg injury and is not 100 percent. "I was very fortunate the ball was in and I was able to come from two sets back."
Jankovic, who is 37-11 this season, wasn't happy with her play but was happy to move on.
"I don't have pain, but I felt a little slow tonight," she said. "It's my first match since Wimbledon and I didn't feel real good. I want to get as many matches as I can this week and get (my form) back."
Jankovic will face Hungary's Melinda Czink this afternoon in the third round

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080724/sp_wl_afp/tenniswtajpn_080724091959

Ivanovic, Jankovic to play Pan Pacific Open
TOKYO (AFP) - Serbia's one-two punch in women's tennis, Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, will lead a star-studded field at the Pan Pacific Open in September, organisers said Thursday.
The 20-year-old world number one Ivanovic, who was runner-up to retired Swiss Miss Martina Hingis here last year, captured her first Grand Slam singles title at the French Open last month.
Jankovic, the 23-year-old world number two who lost to Ivanovic in the semi-finals at Roland Garros, has won six titles on the WTA Tour this season. She also reached the semi-finals at the Australian Open.
Other top-10 players who have committed to play here all hail from Russia -- world number four Svetlana Kuznetsova, number eight Anna Chakvetadze and number nine Dinara Safina, who lost to Ivanovic in the French Open final.
crazy shedule in the end of the year

дalex
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Wow, thank god for hawk-eye. :lol:
Maybe she didn't have pain because she was on painkillers? :shrug:

~Kiera~
Jul 24th, 2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-dwyre24-2008jul24,0,6972322.column

Jelena Jankovic is out there on her own
She can take over No. 1 at Carson, where most stars didn't bother to show up.
Bill Dwyre
July 24, 2008

Somehow, in the midst of all the debris of injuries and pullouts, tennis managed to find a story line for this week's women's pro tournament in Carson.

Jelena Jankovic can become No. 1 if she wins the title Sunday.

There was a time when No. 1 was a huge deal. Several years ago, as Martina Hingis started to get outmuscled and outgunned by bigger, stronger players, she clung to it as her badge of honor.

"I am still No. 1 in the world," she would chirp, defensively, after a loss.

These days, it seems more an inheritance of circumstance. Lots of players pull out of an event, some with sore legs, others with acute apathy, and suddenly, ta-da, , you too can be No. 1.

Jankovic showed up for the East West Bank Classic at the Home Depot Center with a No. 2 ranking, behind No. 1 and fellow Serb Ana Ivanovic, who won here last year but did not return to defend.

Jankovic also showed up with a muscle tear in her knee but decided to play, unlike a group of big-name challengers with even bigger limps. Lindsay Davenport pulled out, as did Venus and Serena Williams, then Svetlana Kuznetsova. That's 19 Grand Slam titles, gone, followed by ticket sales and general fan interest.

Hard to be certain whether Jankovic was being heroic or stupid. Certainly, the people who run the event, AEG, were grateful to her.

They are the people who built and own Staples Center, own most of the Kings, a big chunk of the Lakers and built and own the Home Depot Center. You need something to hang your hat on when selling tickets and schmoozing sponsors, and that's tough when the only advance notice of this event is a series of stories about who wasn't coming.

At least they had Jankovic.

"I can't comment on other people [pulling out]," Jankovic said. "I want to play, but I'm not 100%."

An occasional dud event is not serious for a big operation like AEG. Remember, they own the Kings. They probably consider tennis to be little more than a loss leader in a complex that is a hotbed for soccer and occasionally fills the tennis stadium -- for boxing.

This is also an Olympic year, meaning the players have to tromp off to five majors and have much less incentive to spend a week at a Tier II event such as this, even if it is the bright lights of Los Angeles . . . er, Carson.

Tennis is a strange, traveling road show. Its ups can be off-the-chart high, as in the recent Federer-Nadal Wimbledon final. Its downs can be Wednesday-night-in-Carson low, when empty seats are the dominant wallpaper.

They started the evening session at 5, and sent two veterans out -- Vera Zvonareva and Jill Craybas. Zvonareva has won three Grand Slam doubles titles, has gotten to the quarterfinals of the French Open, has been as high as No. 9 in the world and has won more than $3.25 million in her career.

Craybas, at 34, is 10 years older than her Russian opponent. She has played regularly on the tour for 10 years and was ranked as high as No. 177 as far back as 1992. She lives just down the road in Huntington Beach.

When the two got into it quite competitively late in the second set, the quality of tennis rose remarkably. Zvonareva hung on to win a tiebreaker and the match. In the stands were no more than 400 people.

Craybas was asked whether a lot of her friends had been in the stadium.

"Yes, there were some," she said. "Actually, most of them had to work."

Jankovic took the court at 7 to play Long Beach's Vania King. The crowd had swelled to maybe 800.

The personable Jankovic looked slow and injured in the first set, giving tournament organizers further heartburn when she faced two set points. But she worked her way out of that, won in straight sets and told the media afterward that it was difficult playing in an empty-house atmosphere.

"It's unfortunate they don't have many people," she said.

Once again, she did more than her share for the tournament.

In her on-court interview, she took the microphone and encouraged more people to come out and watch.

Jankovic wasn't the only big name playing Wednesday night.

For the late match, they sent out Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia to play Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia. That's 33 letters for both names. Also 14 syllables.

You should have seen the crowd for that one.

дalex
Jul 24th, 2008, 10:35 AM
These days, it seems more an inheritance of circumstance. Lots of players pull out of an event, some with sore legs, others with acute apathy, and suddenly, ta-da, you too can be No. 1.

Crowds will get bigger, it's only the first round. In other tourneys they have smaller stands so that gives you impression a lot more people are watching.

Brena
Jul 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
its a she... and actually bruno and i talked about it and we came to the conclusion that she must be a mix between classic and alternative med.

and those alt. methods must be mysterious serbian secrets and we dont even wanna get close to knowing them :lol:

Dr Dragan Dabic :cool:

redsonja
Jul 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Dr Dragan Dabic :cool:

:eek: :spit:

Brena
Jul 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
:eek: :spit:

Well, they say he's been a quite successful alternative healer.
JJ: ''My doctor has recetly moved to the Hague, so it'll be easier for me to pay him a visit during the RG next year, should I have to''.

redsonja
Jul 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
JJ: ''My doctor has recetly moved to the Hague, so it'll be easier for me to pay him a visit during the RG next year, should I have to''.

"Yes, my treatment is complicated because my doctor is only allowed to receive one visitor every six weeks, except of course for his attorneys. It is for this reason that I have decided to pursue my law degree."

~Kiera~
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2008/07/greetings-from.html

Crazed in Carson
Posted 07/24/2008 @ 7 :00 PM

By TennisWorld Guest Contributor, James LaRosa --

Greetings from Carson, California. I’m talking to you, Venus and Lindsay. And to you Svetlana, Na and Tatiana. At least Serena was able to make it here on that seemingly doomed US Open Series bus, even if she never set foot on the court. It’s a tournament rife with injuries. Or bad timing, coming just weeks before the Olympics. Pick your poison.

Either way, it’s shaping up to be a Stanford-esque carnival of upstarts making it deep. Who’s going to be the last gimp standing?

Sadly, not Stanford champ Aleksandra Wozniak, who in her words was just exhausted after playing 9 matches in 11 days. (Hey, someone had to pick up the slack.) She was positively beaming in her presse after losing to Flavia Penetta, leading one (me) to think she was just grateful to hop out of her sneakers.

It also won’t be a whole heap of Americans, some themselves attempting to come back from injury – Jamea Jackson, Ashley Harkleroad. . . If you were American, it increased your chances of making it to the second round dramatically if you faced another American in the first. (Not you Jill! You’re the rule breaker…)

Incidentally, if you think watching a host of locals exit en masse from a tournament doesn’t affect a crowd, think again. I’ve been giving out hugs like nobody’s business. Okay that’s a lie, I don’t want to touch these people. It’s so hot and sunny here that we’re all fighting over palm tree shade. We're sweaty and we stink.

So who do we have left to make a grab for the title? Some dark horses without a scratch on ‘em (yet) are making noise. Victoria Azarenka looked scary good against otherwise tough opponent Yung-Jan Chan. She’ll likely clear Sam Stosur, who, banished to a back court that would take TWO helicopters to reach, looked a little shakier against Regina Kulikova than she did in her earlier, breadsticks beatdown of Shahar Peer. That puts Azarenka on track for a quarterfinal clash with an equally sharp Dinara Safina.

Looking even scarier is (gasp - American!) Bethanie Mattek, who dispatched Nicole Vaidisova to set up a QF clash with. . .okay all the other seeds have run screaming from her quarter (but thanks for hoppin’ on the bus!). I’d put Mattek in the semis against Anna Chakvetadze (if she can keep it together) or a suddenly lethal Ai Sugiyama, who’s been playing with the eye of the tiger. Someone get this woman a deal with Red Bull. Chick’s got wings.

Okay, confession time. Davenport and the sisters William weren’t the only ones who limped off to greener pastures. Without the stars of the show, the supporting cast, talented as it may be, just isn't filling the seats. Which is a shame, because the venue itself pretty much rocks. Inspired by the new WTA campaign, I’m holding out for a hero. . .

But wait, who’s that star hobbling in the distance? Why it’s top seed and international cut-up Jelena Jankovic. Jelena has more reason than any of the other withdrawers (is that a word?) to try to work through her own bum knee. With a victory here, she becomes the #1 player in the world (Is it just me, or are they’re giving that honor out like candy lately, right?). So Olympics be darned.

And Vania King be darned. Despite serving for the first set against Jankovic, the last American not named Mattek in the draw went down in what I can only describe as a humorless match. Vania was (justifiably) humorless, the starved-thin crowd was humorless. Even Jelena was subdued when she met with the press afterwards - at least until she was informed that Federer lost to Simon in Toronto (Hours ago, JJ! Where have you been?).

Suddenly, her eyes gleamed: “Then maybe we’ll have two new #1’s this week.”

Not quite, Jelena. But it’s nice to see someone who’s committed.

~Kiera~
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=140442

Jankovic opens bid for No. 1 with win over King

CARSON, Calif. (AP) - Jelena Jankovic opened her bid to gain the No. 1 ranking with a 7-5, 6-2 victory against American Vania King in the East West Bank Classic on Wednesday night.

The top-seeded Serbian could knock countrywoman Ana Ivanovic from the top spot by winning the tournament, her first since injuring her right knee at Wimbledon.

King pressed Jankovic throughout the first set before the Serb took control in the second.

"My leg felt fine, I didn't have any pain," Jankovic said. "I felt a little bit slow when I was moving around, not so explosive like I'm used to. It's just a matter of feeling more comfortable."

The injury withdrawals of Serena and Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport and Svetlana Kuznetsova have taken much of the luster off this year's tournament, and Jankovic noticed.

"It's really unfortunate this tournament doesn't have many people," she said. "The stadium is quite empty which is unusual because most of our tournaments are a full house."

The lack of fans made Jankovic's cheering section -- local Serbs sporting "JJ's Crew" T-shirts -- stand out.

"I'm obviously not 100 percent and I'm not playing my best tennis, but little by little, I will try to do it, especially for the big tournaments," said Jankovic, who is scheduled to play in the Beijing Olympics. "Hopefully, I will keep getting better."

JJ's crew :lol:

Cat123
Jul 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Man, I would have loved a Beth/Chaky Semi :sad: But a Beth/Whoever semi would do me fine :cool:

дalex
Jul 25th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Suddenly, her eyes gleamed: “Then maybe we’ll have two new #1’s this week.”

:rolls: She really thinks she can hobble all the way to the #1 ranking?! Bless!

Michael27
Jul 25th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Alex I still can't get over the fact that she hobbled her way to the SF at the AO.

schorsch
Jul 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM

mixture between : :eek: and :tape: and :bolt: and :unsure: and :lol:

redsonja
Jul 25th, 2008, 03:02 AM
JJ's crew :lol:

Because I am a moron, I just now got the JJ Crew joke. :lol: The JJ Crew catalog would be awesome, I'm sure.

Tashi
Jul 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
From http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/25/sports/TEN-Carson.php

Jankovic's serve notches her easy win in Carson

CARSON, Calif.: Jelena Jankovic rode her improved serve to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Melinda Czink of Hungary in the East West Bank Classic on Thursday, keeping the top-seeded Serb on course to take over the No. 1 ranking.

Jankovic served seven aces in knocking out "lucky loser" Czink, who lost in the second round of qualifying but got into the main draw when Svetlana Kuznetsova withdrew with an injured right knee.

Czink's tournament run included a 6-3, 6-3 upset of 13th-seeded Virginie Razzano. The 25-year-old Hungarian reached the third round of a WTA event for just the second time this year.

Jankovic can dislodge countrywoman Ana Ivanovic from the top ranking by winning the tournament, her first since injuring her right knee at Wimbledon.

"There's no pain and I'm really happy about that," she said. "My legs are a little bit hurting. I'm not used to playing matches every day and playing after not doing anything for two weeks. Now it's time to get in shape."

Jankovic is wearing tape on her knee for protection."Without the tape, it would be a risk because the knee is still fragile," she said.

Jankovic served seven aces — never her strong suit — with her serve bailing her out at love-40, 2-all to win that game. She connected on just 28 percent of her first serves Wednesday, but improved to 63 percent Thursday, when she won 81 percent of her first-serve points.

"If I could hit this serve every day like that, my life would be so much easier," she said, laughing. "You don't have to break a sweat and you're winning games."

Jankovic wore a hot pink dress(:bounce:), which was late arriving. She wore a white top and skirt, which didn't fit well, a day earlier.

"The pink dress played better today," she said.

Third-seeded Anna Chakvetadze of Russia couldn't say the same. She was upset by 14th-seeded Sybille Bammer, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2. Also dismissed was No. 5 Vera Zvonareva, who lost 6-4, 7-5 to Nadia Petrova, last year's runner-up.

Other winners were No. 8 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, No. 10 Flavia Pennetta of Italy, and Yuan Meng of China.

While Czink's run ended, Bethanie Mattek kept rolling.

The 23-year-old player from Miami defeated Olga Govortsova of Bulgaria, 7-5, 6-2, to continue a solid showing that began in April. She trailed 5-2 in the first set.

"I was just making a couple mistakes and she was playing well," Mattek said. "I got a little more intense and rattled off seven games in a row."

Mattek has boosted her ranking nearly 100 places since then and can expect to rise higher, helped by her upset of 11th-seeded Nicole Vaidisova earlier this week.

"I've been playing really well. It just keeps building every match I play," she said. "If I do play up to my potential, I'm expecting myself to win. I'm really confident in my game right now. Two years ago, I couldn't say that."

Kuznetsova and 10 other players, including Wimbledon champion Venus Williams, Serena Williams and Lindsay Davenport, withdrew from the $650,000 tournament.

redsonja
Jul 25th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Jankovic's serve notches her easy win in Carson

"I'll take 'Improbable Headlines' for $1000, Alex."

Bruno71
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Her serve's improved. Now she has to figure out how to use her improved serve on every point :)

Michael27
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Jankovic is wearing tape on her knee for protection."Without the tape, it would be a risk because the knee is still fragile," she said.

Jankovic served seven aces — never her strong suit — with her serve bailing her out at love-40, 2-all to win that game. She connected on just 28 percent of her first serves Wednesday, but improved to 63 percent Thursday, when she won 81 percent of her first-serve points.

"If I could hit this serve every day like that, my life would be so much easier," she said, laughing. "You don't have to break a sweat and you're winning games."

Jankovic wore a hot pink dress(), which was late arriving. She wore a white top and skirt, which didn't fit well, a day earlier.

"The pink dress played better today," she said.

I see her win was all down to the pink dress she was wearing..............

edit: The dress is more red than pink. A much better and stronger colour.

дalex
Jul 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
:lol: @ Sonja & Jeopardy joke...

Seriously, that headline...I guess she's going for her serves more because she's not fully recovered yet. Hopefully some of that serving will stay with her after she gets fit! :lol:

~Kiera~
Jul 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
"I'll take 'Improbable Headlines' for $1000, Alex."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_9991189

Carson tournament facing net deficit
By Jim Thomas, Staff Writer

Thanks to the withdrawal of No. 2 seed Serena Williams and the third-set breakdown of No. 3 Anna Chakvetadze on Thursday at Home Depot Center, today's quarterfinals of the East West Bank Classic are decidedly out of balance.

On one side, No. 1 seed Jelena Jankovic and No. 4 Dinara Safina are on a collision course for the semifinals, with No. 9 Nadia Petrova and No. 8 Victoria Azarenka standing in the way of that intriguing showdown.

On the other side? Well, No. 10 Flavia Pennetta and No. 14 Sybille Bammer are the only seeds left and unheralded but hard-charging American Bethanie Mattek looks as capable as anyone of making it to her first WTA final.

To her credit, the emotional Chakvetadze didn't hide what her 6-4, 5-7, 6-2 loss to Bammer meant.

"I am disappointed," said the 21-year-old Russian, who is ranked No. 8 in the world. "I had an open draw (to the final) and I didn't take advantage of the opportunity."

Jankovic clearly was feeling better about her game after Thursday's victory.

"I want to play," she said when asked about the wisdom of playing on a sore knee when four other big names dropped out. "I want to get sharper ... keep going, maybe from No. 2 (in the world) to No. 1."

Jankovic, by contrast, faces a much tougher road to Sunday's title match. But the 23-year-old Serb looked fully capable of getting there during a sharp victory over Hungary's Melinda Czink, 6-3, 6-3, less than 24 hours after she struggled to get past Long Beach's Vania King in her first match since Wimbledon.

"I was much, much better today," said Jankovic, who is ranked No. 2 in the world and is closing in on No. 1. "I was pleased with my serve, and overall I played better tennis.

"I am happy there is no pain (in her sore knee). I am getting in better shape after not doing much the past few weeks."

Then again, Petrova looked capable of giving Jankovic all she can handle when they meet tonight at 8 on stadium court. The 26-year-old Russian, once ranked as high as No. 3 in the world but now 17th, defeated fifth-seeded Vera Zvonareva, 6-4, 7-5, and seems to be finding her once-formidable game this week in Carson.

Safina got a big scare, surviving one match point before defeating fellow Russian Alla Kudryavtseva, 7-6 (1), 0-6, 7-6 (3), and will face Belarus' Azarenka, who disposed of Australia's Samantha Stosur, 6-4, 7-6 (4). The winner will face the Jankovic-Petrova winner in Saturday's semifinals.

On the other side of the bracket, Mattek defeated Bulgaria's Olga Govortsova, 7-5, 6-2, and will face 122nd-ranked Yuan Meng, who defeated lucky loser Melanie South, 6-2, 6-3. And boy is she raring to go.

"It just keeps building," she said, referring to the momentum she's building this season. "I believe now that if I play to my potential, I'm confident I can beat anyone.

"I have thought about what's there in this tournament, but I know I still have to go out and do it. I'm playing a top girl tomorrow and I have to play well."

Her confidence paid off against Govortzova, who earlier eliminated sixth-seeded Gabriela Hantuchova. She trailed, 5-2, before rallying to win the first set and win the match going away.

"I just got mad," she said. "I thought I was playing well but just making some mistakes. I got a little more intense and took control."

If Mattek prevails today, she will face the winner of Pennetta-Bammer on Saturday.

~Kiera~
Jul 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_9991192

Where are the fans?

Attendance has been sparse, to put it mildly, during the first four days of the WTA event in Carson. There have been few fans on stadium court during the afternoon sessions and not a dramatic increase for the night shifts.

Top-seeded Jelena Jankovic certainly noticed after her match Wednesday, which was watched by less than 1,000 people in stadium court. After she defeated Vania King in straight sets, she took the microphone and pleaded with local fans to come out.

"It's too bad. The stadium is quite empty," she told reporters later. "Hopefully, more people will come out."

With so few people in the stands, a small contingent of Serbs rooting for their star stood out like a sore thumb.

"I really appreciate them," Jankovic said, chuckling. "They are my crew. I saw they had T-shirts that read `JJ Crew.' It was funny."

Serves and volleys

Sixteen players battled for berths in the quarterfinals. Only one was an American, Bethanie Mattek. Five were Russians, followed by two from Belarus. No other nation had more than one. China's Yuan Meng made a WTA quarterfinal for the first time when she defeated lucky loser Melanie South of Great Britain. The 22-year-old Yuan is one of two Chinese players entered in the tournament. . . .

Jankovic's serve was much sharper Thursday than it was Wednesday and she was very happy about that. "Wasn't that great," she said, smiling. "My life would be so much easier if I could serve like that all the time." Jankovic attributed part of her improvement Thursday to playing in a pink dress that didn't arrive until late Wednesday. "I play better in dresses," she said. "What I wore Wednesday was a little too big. The crowd liked me in pink." .

дalex
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Jankovic attributed part of her improvement Thursday to playing in a pink dress that didn't arrive until late Wednesday. "I play better in dresses," she said. "What I wore Wednesday was a little too big. The crowd liked me in pink."

redsonja
Jul 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Her confidence paid off against Govortzova, who earlier eliminated sixth-seeded Gabriela Hantuchova. She trailed, 5-2, before rallying to win the first set and win the match going away.
Who? :p

Brena
Jul 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Who? :p

Ah, well, Daniella, Gabriella, umbrella, ..ela, ela, ela, ela...

schorsch
Jul 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM

:haha: hilarious :P

actually :lol: toronto rogers cup atp played this song during changeovers and after a lil' while it started to rain :lol: they conjured it.

~Kiera~
Jul 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=13695331#post13695331

Thursday in Carson

Jankovic

:lol: Typical Jankovic soap opera practice session. There was laughter, shouting, arguing, accosting Snezana with a spray can of sunscreen...everything you could basically ask for. I saw a very heated argument (but it may jut have been a conversation, you can never tell with her) about her serve. She looked good enough in practice to probably get far at this event, but I was not wholly impressed with what I saw.

Brena
Jul 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=13695331#post13695331

:rolls: (I'm overusing this smily, but what can I do when (mostly) everything about JJ is so damn funny)
Yep, JJ likes soap-operatic moments so much, that I fully expect her identical twin-sister to pop out of somewhere any time now.

~Kiera~
Jul 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
From GM

After Jankovic won her match, during the on court interview, the most pressing question was, "How many of you (fans) liked the white tennis outfit she was wearing yesterday, compared with the pink one today?" Of course the fans cheered for the "hot" pink.

Bruno71
Jul 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Barbarella?

Tashi
Jul 26th, 2008, 06:46 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/8381854/Jankovic-advances-to-semis-in-Carson

Jankovic advances to semis in Carson

CARSON, Calif. (AP) - Top-seeded Jelena Jankovic took another step toward a possible No. 1 ranking on the WTA Tour by beating ninth-seeded Nadia Petrova 7-5, 6-4 on Friday night to advance to the semifinals of the East West Bank Classic.
Jankovic, 23, of Serbia, can take the top spot in the rankings from countrywoman Ana Ivanovic if she wins this $600,000 hardcourt event.

Next up is No. 4 Dinara Safina in Saturday night's semifinal. Safina, of Russia, was a 6-3, 6-1 winner over No. 8 Victoria Azarenk, of Belarus.

In the other quarterfinals, Italy's Flavia Pennetta was a 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-1 winner over No. 14 Sybille Bammer, of Austria, and Bethanie Mattek rallied from a 4-0 deficit in the second set to beat Meng Yuan, of China, 6-2, 7-5, in a matchup of unseeded players.

Jankovic overcame an early service break in both sets against Petrova.

"I did play the big points well. At the important times I was really able to hang in there and hit my spots," Jankovic said, adding she wasn't bothered by the torn meniscus in her left knee, any injury that happened at Wimbledon.

"There were no problems whatsoever, no pain," she said.

Petrova, who missed several makeable volleys, said Jankovic was much improved since their last meeting in 2007.

"Her serve is better and she's playing faster. Before she was just running on the baseline," said Petrova, who trails 5-2 in their rivalry. "Now she's being more aggressive and stepping in and taking the ball early. That's why she's No. 2."

Petrova, of Russia, said she felt she played "quite well" aside from mechanical problems on her second serves and attributed the missed volleys to trying to be "too fine."

Safina, the younger sister of former U.S. Open champion and top-ranked Marat Safin, said her easy win over Azarenka was "just a perfect match for me. My coach (Zeljko Krajan) said it was the best match I ever played. Everything worked."

Indeed, the only flaw in the second set came in the fourth game, which Safina lost after Azarenka had left the court briefly with an abdominal muscle injury.

"That wasn't me on the court for about five seconds. Then I was back," she said with a smile.

The dominating performance was surprising in that until arriving here Safina hadn't played since losing in the third round at Wimbledon, and that was her only outing since reaching the French Open final.

"I've been working really hard," she said. "Maybe it's because I'm rested and fresh in my mind."

schorsch
Jul 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Petrova :hug: so nice of her to say JJ improved.

Cat123
Jul 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I know, I thought that was lovely :hug:

I warmed to her a bit after Wimbledon. I wated her beat the chick that knocked out Maria, then MxD. After Jamie's snarky little comment to her I was on her side. Momentarily at least.

RFS
Jul 27th, 2008, 06:43 AM
SF Wrap - Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Newsroom (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2468)

July 26, 2008
Safina Ousts Jankovic in Semifinals; Pennetta Up Next

Newsroom
July 26, 2008

Dinara Safina
© Getty Images
Safina Ousts Jankovic in Semifinals; Pennetta Up Next

LOS ANGELES, CA, USA - Jelena Jankovic's hopes of becoming No.1 in the world will have to wait at least another week after she was dispatched in the semifinals of the tournament she needed to win to get there. On Saturday night, the Serb was upset in straight sets by Dinara Safina, who will next face Flavia Pennetta for the title at the East West Bank Classic presented by Herbalife.

Jankovic, currently ranked No.2 in the world, needed to win the title this week to rise to No.1 for the first time in her career. But Safina cut her off two matches short; the No.4-seeded Russian won a tight first set then completely dismantled the No.1 seed in the second set for a 76(3) 61 win.

"She played very well throughout the match and was the better player today," a gracious Jankovic said. "I played a bad tie-break and in the second set I just couldn't go anymore. My legs were shaking. I'm not in the best shape yet. It was a little hard for me but I tried my best. But she served great and did what she had to do to win the match. Some days you do not play your best. The most important thing for me is to be healthy and to continue to work on my game."

On the missed opportunity of becoming the 18th player since the inception of computer rankings in 1975 to rise to No.1 in the world, Jankovic was hopeful she would eventually get there, be it next week or sometime further in the future.

"Hopefully my time will come. It's not the end of the world. Just to play in this tournament was very exciting. I had an injury and was supposed to be out for a long time. I just have to continue to work hard."

Optima
Jul 28th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Make your time come. You can't wait for it to happen.

~Kiera~
Jul 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6614791

Opinion: Thank You Safina For Stopping The Absurdity

By Dennis Fitzgerald Monday, July 28, 2008

Dinara Safina stopped Jelena Jankovic from taking over the top spot with a semifinal win in L.A. on Saturday. © Getty Images1 of 2 Thank you Dinara Safina for beating Jelena Jankovic in the Carson semifinals and preventing her from becoming No. 1. It would have probably the most embarrassing result in tennis history if it happened. Then again I would have probably delighted in ripping the WTA as a result: Larry Scott, where for art thou?

Had Jelena won the tournament she would have become No. 1 (Of course it is Justine Henin's fault — since she would still have been No. 1 had she not retired.) But also goes to show you how ridiculous it would have been if Jankovic became No. 1.

Here are the facts:

If Jelena won L.A., it would have been her second tournament win of the year. And only her second tournament win of the last 12 months. You win two tournaments and you can become No. 1 ????????????????
You have never in your life been to a Slam final, and you can become No. 1?
You can reach two Grand Slam semifinals during the year and become No. 1?
Your best win of the year is beating No. 7 ranked Serena Williams in Australia, and you can become No. 1?
You can lose the last six matches of 2007, and still have those results count towards becoming No. 1 in 2008? Jelena's post 2007 U.S. Open record was 6-8, and including the Open she was 10-9.

And yet Ana Ivanovic — who is the reigning French Champion, runner up to Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open, winner of Tier I event Indian Wells (over Jankovic) — would have dropped to No. 2? Even though Ivanovic had a bad loss at Wimbledon, falling in the third round to Jie Zheng, it was just one round before Jelena's bad loss to Tami Tanasugarn, and Ana's loss to Zheng didn't look as bad in comparison considering she got to the semifinals.

The WTA ranking system has been a mess for so long. Such a long history of players becoming No. 1 without a Slam. Their motto is obviously quantity over quality. It must be because they are desperate to get players to play tournaments. Since it is so frequent for WTA players to withdraw from events. And did anyone even watch L.A.? And did anyone notice how small the crowd was in comparison to Toronto for the men's Rogers Cup? And on the heels of last week's event in Stanford?

Dennis Fitzgerald is a writer and tennis statistician, originally from New York and now based in the San Francisco Bay Area. He has been an enthusiastic tennis nut since the 1970s and is a regular poster on the Tennis Week.com message board posting under the nickname DMan1 where he frequently spars with Redhead, recently telling the author of "Break Point" to "pipe down pardner."

дalex
Jul 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
And did anyone even watch L.A.?
http://i36.tinypic.com/16icryx.jpg
"Whaaaa? Dennis Fitzgerald said whaaaat?"
"Oh, and who's that Dennis Prickgerald?"

Kampi
Jul 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
God, what a stupid article. :mad: I mean the ranking system has its weaknesses and he should better blame this instead of Jelena. Roundhouse in the face buddy.:fiery:

дalex
Jul 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.rogerscup.com/3/en/news/2008/mondaypreview.asp
The first round matches begin at 11:00am at Montreal’s Uniprix Stadium. The top eight seeds, including No.1 seed Ana Ivanovic of Serbia, all have first round byes. Serbian Jelena Jokovic, as well as Russians Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Elena Dementieva, Anna Chakvetadze, Dinara Safina and Vera Zvonerava make up the remainder of players exempt from the opening round.

Jokovic! :rolls:

schorsch
Jul 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
see there's always a connex my faves share with each other :drool:

my dreams of once making a exho with all ten of them - mens women singles - mens womens doubles - mixed doubles... for a good cause -> my entertainment... is again one step closer :haha:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
JJ's Rogers Cup Interview:
An interview with:
JELENA JANKOVIC
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. Could you speak to me a bit about your tournament last weekend in Los Angeles. You were really close to earn the top spot inthe rankings. Can you talk to us a bit about that. Is it disappointing?
JELENA JANKOVIC: No, it's not disappointing because especially I got injured in Wimbledon and I was trying to recover. I couldn't practice for more than two weeks. And so I only had a chance to train four days before Los Angeles, which is not enough, you know, to get in shape. And what I have done in Los Angeles is already a good result comparing to how much I've trained before that.
At the moment I'm just trying to get fit again and get in form. And each day I hope to get better and better. We will see how I will do.
Q. How do you feel right nowphysically?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I'm healthy at the moment. But I need time, you know, to get stronger because my knee and my whole area around this is very weak. So it needs time to get, you know, more stable.
Q. Coming here in Montréal, having been so close to become No. 1, are youmotivated?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I am motivated. I just wish to stay healthy so that I can continue to play my game and keep improving. Hopefully my time will come. I don't really put pressure on myself. I had a lot of injuries this year, so I had a hard time. You know, I just want to enjoy my tennis and have fun out there.
Q. Bartoli was saying she has a virus,and that 15 or 20 of the girls have an issue with being sick.
JELENA JANKOVIC: I got sick in Indian Wells. I had some type of bacteria which I couldn't get rid of for four months. You probably have seen me, you know, throughout since March. I was blowing my nose all the time. I was suffering ou there. When you are not playing at a hundred percent, when you have issue, it's very hard to enjoy your tennis and really only think about how you have to play. You are thinking, Oh, my God, how am I going to hang in there? I'm not breathing as well as I should be. I'm getting more tired. I'm getting tired quickly. It's very tough. The most important thing is to stay healthy. When you are at your hundred percent, you can really work hard and give your best on the practice court, and then you can perform at your best when you play matches.
So at the moment I am, you know, finally healthy. Now it takes time, you know, to just get my body in shape again, get fit and feel more comfortable and more confident.
Q. Could you speak to us about Aleksandra Wozniak. If she gets through the first round, you'll be facing her. Did you have a chance to see her play?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Actually, I played against her last year in I think Australia. And I don't remember what was the score. I play so many matches, so it's very hard to remember(smiling. But I haven't seen her play lately. I know she has won in Stanford, so she must be playing very well. But, you know, I cannot tell you much about her. I know that she's a nice girl. I see her around in the locker rooms or at the tournaments. But I don't really know much about her game.
Q. Can you talk a bit about Montréal. We saw you were attracting a lot of people in
training.
JELENA JANKOVIC: I am, you know, happy to be here. This is a nice city. A lot of people enjoy the tennis. I hope that we will all have a great week of tennis.
Q. Is it tougher than you thought to grab that No. 1 spot? Seems like a lot of girls have been close.
JELENA JANKOVIC: It's okay. I mean, if it's meant to happen, it will happen. If not, you can keep trying all your life and it will never happen. So, I mean, if you deserve it, you will get it. If you work hard, that hard work will pay off eventually, sooner or later. Like I said, I've been suffering with injuries, so it's very hard to be at your best, to be at your highest level when you're having some problems. So when you don't have problems, when you can try to really reach your full potential, then you can say to yourself, I tried everything and I didn't make it and there's nothing I can do. But when you haven't reached that level yet, then you have the motivation, you have that desire to keep working and reaching that level eventually.
Q. How badly do you want it?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I want to become No. 1 and I want to win a Grand Slam. I want to do all of those things. Those are my goals. That is my dream. But actually, to be honest, when I began to play tennis when I was nine and a half, I actually never thought even of becoming a professional tennis player. So now being in this stage, you know, being one step away from No. 1 in the world, it's really amazing. You know, I'm very close. I hope that I can achieve it one day.
Q. How special is it to realize the two top girls in the world are coming from Serbia?
JELENA JANKOVIC: It's really amazing we have No. 1 and No. 2 in the world. It's something that Serbia will maybe never have in the future. We don't have the best facilities in the world. We didn't have a tradition in tennis. We didn't have anybody to look up to coming out of that country and making it. And now having three top players in the world, it's something amazing. It's a huge
achievement for us. Hopefully we can somehow help the younger generations and inspire them and motivate them to come our way.
But we need to build some kind of tennis center so that the younger kids can develop their games and not having to go to other countries to improve and to get better.

http://www.rogerscup.com/2/en/draws/interviews/jankovic_28.pdf

дalex
Jul 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I think it's amazing she even remembered that match was played in Australia. :bowdown:

Stay healthy, babe! :kiss:

OT I think that exchange with Petrova during a changeover in LA was because at the end of JJ's service game Nadia was frustrated she lost the point and hit a ball straight to JJ. I definitely saw a smile from JJ after Nadia hit that ball...She, like, smiled and looked over at the umpire. Me thinks JJ then complained to the umpire during the changeover and Nadia heard that and wanted to say she didn't mean to hit her. If that's what happened it's funny 'cos JJ did exactly that to Serena and Lindsay.

Oh, and thanks for the interview!

~Kiera~
Jul 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks, VirginMary :)

ChriS.
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Q. Is it tougher than you thought to grab that No. 1 spot? Seems like a lot of girls have been close.
JELENA JANKOVIC: It's okay. I mean, if it's meant to happen, it will happen. If not, you can keep trying all your life and it will never happen. So, I mean, if you deserve it, you will get it. If you work hard, that hard work will pay off eventually, sooner or later. Like I said, I've been suffering with injuries, so it's very hard to be at your best, to be at your highest level when you're having some problems. So when you don't have problems, when you can try to really reach your full potential, then you can say to yourself, I tried everything and I didn't make it and there's nothing I can do. But when you haven't reached that level yet, then you have the motivation, you have that desire to keep working and reaching that level eventually.
Q. How badly do you want it?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I want to become No. 1 and I want to win a Grand Slam. I want to do all of those things. Those are my goals. That is my dream. But actually, to be honest, when I began to play tennis when I was nine and a half, I actually never thought even of becoming a professional tennis player. So now being in this stage, you know, being one step away from No. 1 in the world, it's really amazing. You know, I'm very close. I hope that I can achieve it one day.
Does she (still) have the belief and desire to be number one or is she starting to accept she might not achieve it?

дalex
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM
She's just being philosophical about it...:lol:

schorsch
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe she's enrolled in the same school as you dalex. the serena philophy thingie

дalex
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe she's enrolled in the same school as you dalex. the serena philophy thingie

PhilosophRena is the best...Maybe JJ's been reading some of her blog/haiku entries, too! One can learn so much there, on Rena's website.

schorsch
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
i dont know whats scarier ree's outbursts + kneeling during matches or her "poetry" :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

дalex
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
She's emotional, I bet she "cries all the time" like JJ :lol:...

Anyways, I'm off, need some sleep. :wavey:

terjw
Jul 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I was interested to hear what Jelena said about her injury:

Q. How do you feel right nowphysically?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I'm healthy at the moment. But I need time, you know, to get stronger because my knee and my whole area around this is very weak. So it needs time to get, you know, more stable.

So it's it's good to hear her say she's healthy right now. Her main reason for playing these tournaments before the Olympics then is the need to build up her strength in her knee. I've been pretty concerned about her not being at all healthy and in any shape to play at all with all this talk of wobbling legs.

But I'm much more encouraged with what she said there.

redsonja
Jul 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM
JJ said during the French Open that she doesn't think that she (or anyone else) would really deserve to be #1 without a Slam. So I think it's very possible that while of course she would have taken it if she got it :lol:, she doesn't truly believe that she deserves it at this point.

redsonja
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:24 AM
http://wtabackspin.blogspot.com/2008/07/wk30-still-somewhat-broken-occasionally.html
Wk.30- Still Somewhat Broken, Occasionally Bowed and Still Not #1

?#*})!

Wherever Jelena Jankovic goes, intrigue is sure to follow. And on a WTA tour where the U.S. Open Series is touted as an "important" late summer happening even as most of the top players are either too injured, protective of their pre-Olympic health, preoccupied or otherwise barely bothered enough to put in more than a cameo appearance in North American events, I suppose the walking and talking Serbian question mark/exclamation point/asterisk/medical oddity/smiley face should be seen as the invaluable asset that she is, huh?

The world #2 is the most entertaining player on tour for all the right, and some of the wrong, reasons.

Jankovic is not the BEST player, even if she has been sniffing around the edges of the #1 ranking for almost two months and may one day actually manage to claim the position (though it might come with one of those "invisible asterisks" attached). Like Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo, who before her became debatable #1's on the computer before they justified their standing by winning a slam title, the slam-deficient Jankovic is trying to slip through the back door of the most exclusive night club in the city without having to pay a cover charge or pass muster at the front door. Of course, bless her, would there be any more Jankovician way to reach the #1 ranking than by traveling around the bend, under a bridge, through the chicken coop, across a lily pad-strewn pond and over a sky full of puffy clouds? Not in a million years (or free helicopter rides to the court), I'd say.

That's why it's just so w-r-o-n-g that she couldn't pull off the feat in Los Angeles last week, which she would have done had she won the title rather than have been sent packing by eventual champ Dinara Safina in the semifinals. As it was, L.A. proved to be par for the Jelena course for the WTA's unquestioned "almost but not quite" Queen of Predictably Unpredictable Predictability.

Thing is, Jankovic has been the most consistent highly-ranked player on tour for about two years now, even going so far as to equal or improve upon her slam results in fifteen of her sixteen return trips to the season's four biggest events throughout her career. Then again, she's also the top player who's been most unable to close out "the big deal" despite having multiple opportunities to do so, too.

Just this season, she wasn't able to win Roland Garros without the presence of nemesis Justine Henin, and failed to win the all-Serbian SF match for the #1 ranking against Ana Ivanovic (holding true to JJ's luck, AnaIvo not only gained the top spot but also won her first slam one round later). She wasn't able to improve upon her past results at Wimbledon, either, even with Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport exiting early. Last week, with the likes of Ivanovic, Sharapova, Davenport, Svetlana Kuznetsova and the Williams sisters (three U.S. Open Series champs and five U.S. Open winners) out, she didn't win L.A. and push AnaIvo out of the #1 slot.

Of course, Jankovic DID play last week with a meniscus tear in her knee, so she gets something of a "pass" for that one. Then again, she probably shouldn't have been playing at all. Doctors told her to take 1-2 months off. The "new" Jelena heeded their advice... for a little over a week, then returned to the court. The good news is that the "old" risk-taking Jelena probably would have damned the torpedoes, not missed a single tournament, and already gone down in spine-tingling flames by now.

Baby steps.

At 23 and improving most aspects of her game every season, Jankovic has the potential to have a career trajectory much like Mauresmo's. Not that of a "great" player who wins 4-5 slams, but a "very good" one who blooms late and wins one or two from age 25-28. Few players would be more in their element than Jankovic driving forward for a late-in-the-game major title that would validate her entire career in one instant, especially so soon after she supposedly considered quitting the sport after dropping ten straight matches early in 2006 (a story likely exaggerated for effect, considering Jelena's natural inclination to be as immensely dramatic with her pronouncements as possible).

Bless her.

For a time last week I was thinking that L.A. might be Jankovic's moment of truth, the place where she'd prove (or disprove) once and for all whether or not she'd ever have the goods to be able to gather herself enough to become a world #1 and/or slam champion. The knee, though, sort of put the kibosh on that. But the fact remains that she's going to need to fully grasp one of these golden opportunities -- seeing it in front of her, feeling the pressure but still pulling through without melting down mentally or breaking down physically -- if she's ever going to REALLY leave the sport having become anything near the player she could and should be.

Come to think of it, Jankovic becoming #1 by winning Los Angeles without facing any of the other contenders for the top spot might have been a tad on the dull side, and maybe even a touch "boring." It wouldn't have been nearly as dramatic (or even odd) enough to meet Jelena's standards, even with the proximity to Hollywood. There has to be a "better"' way... so don't be surprised if she finds it down the road, even if we might have to cover our eyes at the audacity of it all when she does.

(Of course, whether pushing her body, ignoring medical advice and blindly moving forward because of some unspoken early morning epiphany is something that a player could ever hope to survive long enough to fulfill her athletic potential is another discussion entirely, isn't it?)

As the years go by, Jankovic's quest will no doubt be fascinating and theatrical... not to mention exasperating, irritating, humorous, infuriating, wonderful, horrible, fun and, possibly even one day, emotionally fulfilling. Maybe. I mean, as long as Jelena doesn't do something perilous and/or stupid and mess things up.

Uh-oh.

(All italics are in the original.)

Tashi
Jul 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM
That's an awesome article.:lol:

Optima
Jul 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Spot on.

дalex
Jul 29th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Wow! Thanks Sonja!
I love that article. The person who wrote it has to be a fan! :rolls:

I just don't agree that winning 1-2 Slams makes you only a "very good" player.

Cat123
Jul 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM
:lol: That's a great article.

JJ saying she's healthy and JJ actually being healthy are not always the same thing....

terjw
Jul 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Sonja that article really made me laugh. Great find. Love the bit where it says:

Doctors told her to take 1-2 months off. The "new" Jelena heeded their advice... for a little over a week, then returned to the court.

Had me in stitches that did.

redsonja
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:02 PM
That was my favourite part too. :lol: I mean, 10 whole days, y'all! She listened to her doctors for 10 whole days!!!!

RFS
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
god bless her - the crazy loon!

becky.really
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
You can tell that she wasn't resting though...she probably bought wii tennis with the racket and was charging around her living room, breaking all of the ornaments that her great aunty made her promise to dust at least twice a week.

redsonja
Jul 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Is that before or after she was posing in a bikini and wedge sandals on a yacht to show everyone how fat she'd gotten? :D

Brena
Jul 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Finally a commentator who fully understands what JJ is all about. :lol:

Kampi
Jul 31st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Jelena is already qualified for Doha:worship::kiss::worship::bounce:

July 30, 2008

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/jankovic_08secqualify_200.jpg
© Sony Ericsson WTA Tour

Top 2 Qualify for Sony Ericsson Championships

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, USA – Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic are the first players to secure treasured singles berths for the season-ending Sony Ericsson Championships, set to take place at the Khalifa International Tennis Complex in Doha, Qatar, from November 4-9, 2008. The world's Top 8 singles players and Top 4 doubles teams from the 2008 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour season will compete for the Championships title and a share of the record prize money of $4.45 million.
The two Serbs are currently in first and second place in the Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships, with Jankovic having earned 2,770 points and Ivanovic 2,761 points. For Jankovic, the current world No.2, this will mark her second qualification for the prestigious year-end event. Jankovic, who has won six career Tour singles titles, is projected to pass the $5-million mark in career prize money at the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank in Montréal. Thus far in 2008, she successfully defended her title at Rome, finished runner-up at Miami and reached five more semifinals, including at the Australian Open and Roland Garros.
"Qualifying for the Sony Ericsson Championships is always one of the important goals that I set for myself at the beginning of the year," Jankovic said. "Naturally I am proud to have achieved it at this early stage of the year. I look forward to competing in Doha and hope to do really well out there."
Ivanovic became the 17th No.1 ranked player in Tour history in June of this year after capturing her first Grand Slam title at Roland Garros. She has also won at Indian Wells, finished runner-up at the Australian Open and reached two more semifinals. She was awarded the Tour's Most Improved Player award earlier this year for her 2007 achievements.
"I am proud to have already qualified for the Sony Ericsson Championships," Ivanovic said. "This season has been a great year for me as I achieved two of my life's goals by winning my first Grand Slam and reaching No.1. To win the tournament in Doha would be the perfect end to a season I'll never forget."
"Jelena and Ana are amazing athletes and champions, both on and off the court,” said Larry Scott, CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. "Both players are fan favorites who have had fantastic results in 2008 and earned their spots in the Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha, which promises to be one of the most exciting season-ending finales in Tour history."
"The Sony Ericsson Championships will be an exciting finale to what has been a fantastic year for the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour," said Aldo Liguori, Corporate Vice President and Head of Global Communications & PR for Sony Ericsson. "We are delighted to see that two of this season's most successful players are the first to qualify for the Sony Ericsson Championships. Both Ana and Jelena have worked hard to secure their place in this tournament, and both are great ambassadors for the sport and the continuing effort to drive women's tennis forward."
Sony Ericsson is committed to bringing entertainment, innovation and glamour to tennis by creating unique sporting events such as the 2008 Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha. This tournament will bring the excitement of the game to a new audience, with Doha set to benefit from the biggest tennis event ever to be held in the region. Sony Ericsson strives to energize the fan experience at the Championships, by bringing them closer to tennis through the integration of innovation and technology, to deliver the best possible sports experience.
The Championships were first played in 1972 and since then the event has been held in such notable venues as Madison Square Garden, New York City; the Olympiahalle in Munich; Staples Center in Los Angeles; and the Recinto Ferial Casa de Campo in Madrid. Former singles champions include Tracy Austin, Kim Clijsters, Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong, Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis, Martina Navratilova, Gabriela Sabatini, Serena Williams and Justine Henin. Cara Black and Liezel Huber, defending champions in doubles, lead in the Doubles Race with 3962 points, followed by Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual.

Piska
Jul 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
July 30, 2008
Jelena Jankovic
MONTREAL, QUEBEC
J. JANKOVIC/A. Wozniak
6-0, 6-4
THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Is there a minimum rest time? Did you ask for a later match?
JELENA JANKOVIC: In less than 12 hours I'm practicing again. I almost can have breakfast here with you guys (laughter).
Q. So is it a good thing that things went pretty well for you tonight?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, it's a good thing that I was able to finish in two sets. It was a good match. Especially the first match is always tough, playing against a Canadian, knowing that the crowd will be against me, knowing all the circumstances, it's not so easy.
But, you know, I was able to stay focused and was able to get through the match. So I'm happy with that and looking forward to my next match.
Q. The first set, things went pretty fast.
JELENA JANKOVIC: I was really focused. You know, I didn't know what to expect from the crowd so I wanted to win every point. I was really out there and I wanted to do my best so that, you know, the crowd has less to cheer about. I was able to do that.
But then the second set I a little bit lost my concentration. I lost a little bit of my movement. I was a little bit slower. Especially in the hours like this, so late, it's hard to keep your body going. I felt a little bit slow motion. I never play this time. It was a little bit hard, but I managed to finish it in two sets.
Q. Did you have any problems moving with your knee?
JELENA JANKOVIC: A little bit here and there. I have some problems where I'm not as stable as I was before I got injured. But it takes time to get it stronger and feel better on that leg.
Q. Do you know anything about Stephanie Dubois?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I watched her today against Kirilenko. I don't know much about her. She's another Canadian, another player that the crowd is looking forward to cheer on, you know, at this tournament.
I just really have to go out there and really focus on myself and try to play my game and I hope I do well.
Q. You're going to turn out to be the mean one.
JELENA JANKOVIC: The Canadians will hate me soon (laughter). I mean, it's the draw, you know. You cannot choose. I wish I didn't play the Canadians. I wish, you know, to let some other girls be in these situations, like maybe Kirilenko. It's sometimes very hard when you have all the people against you, sometimes cheering during the points. But, you know, they try their best to, you know, support the Canadian player, which is normal when you play at home.
Q. Were you happy to see that most of the crowd had gone to bed by the time your match started?
JELENA JANKOVIC: They didn't go to bed (smiling). I was going to go to bed before them, you know. Here the crowd is really great. It's one of the tournaments where so many people come and support the players. It's really great to see. You know, I hope they continue to come and watch tennis and hopefully we have a great week of tennis, a great tournament.
Q. So you don't plan on complaining about the fact you have to play tomorrow afternoon?
JELENA JANKOVIC: No, I don't need to complain. I just have to get a good night of sleep. Hopefully I fall asleep, you know, quite quick. If I don't, then what can I do? I will try my best to be as ready as possible for tomorrow.
Q. The top-seeded players seem pretty roughed up right now. Ivanovic spoke about a thumb injury. Sharapova just got out of the tournament. You have a knee injury. Is it something that everything is going bad right now?
JELENA JANKOVIC: What can we do? This is the game. This is the sport. Injuries are part of the sport. We really try our best when we are competing and we try to put hundred percent effort into every match, into every practice.
Sometimes you cannot control the injuries, even though you try very hard to keep your body in shape, to keep everything as strong as possible.
But, you know, sometimes it's just very hard and some areas are weaker than others. Maybe it's just a genetical (sic) or sometimes bad luck. But what can we do? This is life. This is the way it goes.
Q. Your footwork looked amazing. You looked at ease on the court.
JELENA JANKOVIC: I'm trying to get back, you know, to how I was moving before because you guys didn't see me play in L.A., but I had some problem moving, problems reacting to the ball. I lost that explosiveness that I used to have, that quick start.
Little by little, I'm improving that on the practice court. I'm getting more confidence because especially with what I did in Wimbledon, you don't feel so confident to run on certain shots. You feel like I should just let the ball go. I don't want to risk of doing something. I'm a little bit afraid.
So, you know, to get that fear out and feel more confident in yourself with your body, it takes a little bit of time.
Q. Does the hard court make you feel a little bit more stable?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, for sure. Hard court after grass, it's great to be on hard court where I don't have to slip as much. But my movement is, as well, a little bit lousy. I tend to do those splits, all these kind of things. But in the moment I'm trying not to do these things, to keep safe.

RFS
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Q. Do you know anything about Stephanie Dubois?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I watched her today against Kirilenko.
Bloody nora... scouting, JJ? I'm so proud!

Q. So you don't plan on complaining about the fact you have to play tomorrow afternoon?
:spit: :haha:

дalex
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Piska!
I wish I didn't play the Canadians. I wish, you know, to let some other girls be in these situations, like maybe Kirilenko.

"Yeah, they should hate Kirilenko, not me..."

JJ is afraid to move freely...:awww:

Brena
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM
I expected the Canadian crowd to be full of crazy Serbs, just like in Australia.

redsonja
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Bloody nora... scouting, JJ? I'm so proud!

:spit: :haha:

My reactions exaaaaaaaaaaaactly. :lol:

Cat123
Jul 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Great about Doha :hug: Let's just hope she doesn't wreck her body before then like last time...

wtatennisfan
Jul 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.blic.co.yu/_customfiles/Image/slike/2008/07_jul/31/zabava/jelena-v.jpg

Tanja Brzakovic, a film director, has recently completed shooting of a documentary film about our tennis player Jelena Jankovic entitled “Jelenin svet”. The film follows her to Madrid, Berlin, and Belgrade and is scheduled for September.

The film about the 22-years old opens with her waking up in her hotel room, getting up, getting dressed, washing her teeth in the bathroom-everything most girls of her age do anywhere in the world. From that moment on, any resemblance with other girls vanishes. The girl has a very strict day plan to stick to, beginning with breakfast, training, massage, and consultations with her coach, up to the contact with fans, press conferences and delivering autographs. Her mother, a faithful companion of hers, stands behind as a manager and adviser.

Jelena is surrounded with her fans from all over the world and in the film, she tells us about her main goal- to become a number one in the world of tennis. She also discovers her personal feelings when getting emotional. A film crew, which made film “Jelenin svet”, was fascinated with her energy and her famous smile.

Producer Nebojsa Miljkovic took part in the project as a cameraman.
-To work with her it really is something incredible! She and film director Tanja Brzakovic had a great time together and they understood perfectly well each other. We put so much effort in this film currently undergoing montage process- for “Blic” speaks Nebojsa Miljkovic which producer’s company “Talas film” actually produced this film.

The film director Tanja Brzakovic graduated from the Faculty of Drama Arts in Belgrade, with her postgraduate studies done in Hamburg. She has been living in Berlin for some time. So far, she has made 15 films and was awarded for her work worldwide. The film about Jelena Jankovic will be probably available for audience to watch in September, and it is not excluded that Jelena shall have been ranked first and made her dreams come through by that time.

http://www.blic.co.yu/culture.php?id=2630

Kampi
Jul 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Sounds very promising.:D Thank you wtatennisfan:wavey::)

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 12:40 AM
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=693262

Jankovic ousts Dubois at Rogers Cup
Pat Hickey, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008

MONTREAL -- Jelena Jankovic is a heartbreaker.

On two successive days, she has dashed the hopes of Canada's top women's tennis players and disappointed the fiercely partisan crowds at the Jarry Tennis Stadium.

Jankovic, the No. 2 seed from Serbia, reached the quarter-finals of the US$1.34-million Rogers Cup Canadian Open with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Stéphanie Dubois of Montreal.

Eighteen hours earlier, Jankovic raced through a 6-0, 6-4 win over Aleksandra Wozniak, the top-ranked Canadian from nearby Blainville, Que.

"Maybe the people will start to hate me now," she said with a smile.

"In those two matches, the crowd was obviously against me. Playing a Canadian, a home-crowd favorite, it's not too easy to be in this kind of atmosphere," said Jankovic, who will face unseeded Dominika Cibulkova on Friday.

"But I tried my best. I wanted to be focused on myself, on my game, on what I have to do in order to win. I'm pleased, you know, how I handled the whole situation. Happy to get through this match."

Jankovic described the two Canadians as "good, up-and-coming players" but noted they were different.

"Wozniak has a little more aggressive game," she said. "From what I see, from my experience ... Wozniak goes for it a little bit more and tends to make a lot more unforced errors. Dubois is more of a consistent player. She moves really well. It's hard to make a point on her. You really have to earn it."

Jankovic took control of the match when she broke Dubois for a 4-2 lead in the first set. The Canadian was a victim of a bad break in that game when one of her shots was called out while she was leading 40-30. She challenged the call and the replay showed the ball was in. The point was played over and Jankovic won the point to bring the game to deuce. Dubois then double-faulted and Jankovic took advantage of the break point. She went on to break Dubois in the fifth and seventh games of the second set.

It was a successful week for Dubois despite the loss. She collected US$13,000 in prize money and the 60 points she earned will lift from her current No. 122 in the rankings to a position in the top 100.

A couple of teenagers made waves in the early matches but only one of them moved ahead.

Cibulkova, a 19-year-old from Slovakia, upset 12th seed Nadia Petrova of Russia, 7-6 (2), 6-2.

Michelle Larcher de Brito, the 15-year-old from Portugal, won lots of fans but fell short in her match against fourth-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia.

"There were lots of Portuguese people and I think I made some new fans here," said Larcher de Brito, who had to win two qualifying matches to reach the main draw.

Kuznetsova, who is using the event to prepare for the Olympics after a three-week post-Wimbledon layoff, noted that the youngster was loose because she had nothing to lose. She said she used to get nervous against players like that but has overcome it now that she is one of the older players. She is all of 23.

Kuznetsova will meet fellow Russian Dinara Safina on Friday. The seventh-seeded Safina, who will be Kuznetsova's doubles partner at the Olympics, cruised past ninth-seeded Patty Schnyder of Switzerland, 6-2, 6-2.

Marion Bartoli, the 10th seed from France, upset sixth-seeded Anna Chakvetadze of Russia, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4). Bartoli will face Ai Sugiyama in the quarter-finals.

Sugiyama received a pass when third-seeded Maria Sharapova withdrew late Wednesday night with a shoulder injury. An MRI yesterday revealed two tears in her shoulder and she withdrew from the Olympics and is extremely doubtful for the U.S. Open.

дalex
Aug 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
"There were lots of Portuguese people and I think I made some new fans here," said Larcher de Brito

She didn't win any on TF it seems. :tape:

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 02:05 AM
http://www.rogerscup.com/2/en/draws/interviews/jankovic_31.pdf

J. JANKOVIC/S. Dubois
6-3, 6-2

An interview with:
JELENA JANKOVIC

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You said yesterday Canadians would start to hate you if you beat Stephanie. Is it the case now?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. I took out two Canadians. Maybe the people will start to hate me now (laughter). In those two matches, the crowd was obviously against me. Playing a Canadian, a home-crowd favorite, it's not too easy to be in this kind of atmosphere.

But I tried my best. I really went out on the court, I wanted to be focused on myself, on my game, on what I have to do in order to win. I'm pleased, you know, how I handled the whole situation. Happy to get through this match.

Q. Can you compare the two Canadians, how they're the same and how they differ as players?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I think they have totally different games. Wozniak has a little more aggressive game. From what I see, from my experience, I played them this week, so I don't know how they play on a regular basis. Wozniak goes for it a little bit more and tends to make a lot more unforced errors. Dubois is more of a consistent player. She moves really well. It's hard to make a point on her. You really have to earn it.

But, you know, it's two different styles of games. But they're both really good players, young and up-and-coming.

Q. You didn't seem during the whole match at a hundred percent. How was your conditioning and how were you able to play after such a short rest?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I was doing fine. You know, I didn't want to get involved and start thinking, Oh, my God, I didn't have enough hours of sleep and I'm really tired. If I put all this negative thoughts in my head, in my mind, it's not so good. So I really tried to be positive. I go out there to play the match.

I was really out there. I didn't want to really let my opponent into the match and really fight out there really hard. So I was really out there, I wanted to play my game, I wanted to play aggressive. And when it was the important times, I really raised my level of game and won it in two sets.

Q. Were you bothered by your knee?

JELENA JANKOVIC: No, not at all. Sometimes I just -- somehow it just collapses a little bit here and there. Other than that, I don't have pain, which is the most important thing for me.

I mean, if I have pain, it would be not a great thing. You know, I wouldn't be able to play. I wouldn't like to risk my injury. But I'm fine. I have no pain. I'm just trying to get stronger on this knee. Little by little I'm getting better and moving better.

Q. This is from Wimbledon?

JELENA JANKOVIC: This is from the Wimbledon. I'm still recovering that. But it's getting better and better. I'm doing a lot of exercises for rehabilitation to get it stronger, get that knee in order again.

Q. Do you have any regrets about playing on the Monday? You hurt it on Saturday and went and played the other match after.

JELENA JANKOVIC: You know, I probably wouldn't have. It wouldn't make much of a difference. When you have a tear in your meniscus, there's not much you can do. A few hours maybe would make a little bit of a difference, but not really much. I was only upset that, you know, I was first match at 12:00. You know, I didn't have time to do other therapy, to put something, you know, so at least that I can play the match. I couldn't do the therapy. The doctor was arriving around that time, which was not really good for me. But it's okay. The Wimbledon is now past. We are here in Montréal playing in a tournament. I don't really want to think about that.

Q. Can you talk to us a bit about Cibulkova, your next opponent. She took out Dementieva. Today she took out Petrova.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I played against her in Roland Garros. She's a really tough opponent. She moves really well. She's defending well. She hits a lot of balls and really makes you play every point. She doesn't give you many presents. You really have to earn every point. I think I know how to play against her. But I really have to be out there and really have to, you know, play a hundred percent if I want to win. It will be a tough match.

Q. Dubois made you think out there today.

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, obviously when you play an opponent which you didn't play before, you don't really know her patterns that well, you know, the way she plays, what are her best shots. I watched her against Kirilenko. I saw some of the things she liked to do. But it's, you know, different players. You have different tactics against different players. So it's hard to see what she does best, what she doesn't do best. But I really found, you know, my way around the court and was able to do it in a good way.

Q. She seemed really cool under pressure.

JELENA JANKOVIC: No, she has done really great. She has had a great tournament. She beat two good players. You know, it's unlucky that I had to play against her. It's not so nice for me to beat two Canadians. What can I do? The crowd will hate me, but that's just the luck of the draw. But I think they're both really great players. They have done quite well, so I think they have a good potential, a good future in front of them.

Q. What do you think about Sharapova today pulling out of the Olympics?

JELENA JANKOVIC: She pulled out of the Olympics, as well? It's really unfortunate because when it comes to injuries, it's very hard to deal with the things. When you're not ready, when you're having pain and you're suffering on the court, it's really hard for you to enjoy your tennis and go out there and really suffer the whole time, which is not a pleasant feeling. The best thing to do is to, you know, try to recover. It's very disappointing probably for her that she's not participating in Olympics, especially that Olympics are every four years and we have an opportunity to compete this year. So it's hard. But what can she do or somebody else who has a problem? Like me in Wimbledon, I wasn't able to continue in my tournament. I was suffering with my knee. This is bad luck. You just have to try to recover and get back on court soon.

Q. Playing with a torn meniscus, isn't that in your head?

JELENA JANKOVIC: It was in my head when I was playing in L.A. That's why I played a tournament before Montréal, before this big tournament, so that I kind of get a few matches in and kind of get the feel of how I'm doing, how I'm moving, get my confidence little by little. To be honest, when I was playing my first matches in L.A., I didn't feel confident at all in my movement. I was really afraid to run for some shots. I wasn't really out there. It was very hard for me. You know, little by little, every match I feel I'm improving, I'm gaining my confidence and I'm starting to move a lot better. I feel that I'm more faster on the court. The most important thing is, you know, make these little steps forward, keep improving, keep adding things to my game, get stronger. I'm really working hard of getting fit again. And I hope, you know, my time will come soon.

Q. Do you like to finish a match like that with a winner?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, it's always nice to finish a match with a winner. But anyhow, you know, as long as I win the last point, that's what matters (laughter).

дalex
Aug 1st, 2008, 02:23 AM
:lol: @ the last answer. Very good one!
My favourite JJ quote is there! :banana:
And I hope, you know, my time will come soon.
I was really out there. I didn't want to really let my opponent into the match and really fight out there really hard. So I was really out there, I wanted to play my game, I wanted to play aggressive. And when it was the important times, I really raised my level of game and won it in two sets.

"Really" is the new "you know"...:spit:

RFS
Aug 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
:lol: @ the last answer. Very good one!
My favourite JJ quote is there! :banana:

"Really" is the new "you know"...:spit:

"For sure"!!!

Wow she's even remembering her past opponents

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Wow she's even remembering her past opponents

Who is this impostor and what have they done with the real Jelena?

terjw
Aug 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm really glad to hear from her that she's in no pain at all from her knee. Also I can understand that she must have felt really apprehensive running on it when she came back at LA and that it takes a little while to get the confidence back.

It'll be interesting to see who the crowd now support now Jelena has taken out the two home players. Wouldn't be surprised if they warm to Jelena.

terjw
Aug 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM

The real Jelena was last seen trying to take that huge umbrella down the tunnel and out the ground yesterday.:lol:

redsonja
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM

Found her! :p

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.rogerscup.com/2/en/draws/interviews/jankovic_1.pdf

D. CIBULKOVA/J. Jankovic
7-5, 6-2

An interview with:

JELENA JANKOVIC

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Leading 5-1, it seems you hit a wall. What happened there?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, until 5-1 I was doing quite well. I was feeling good and I was hitting the ball well. But then all of a sudden I just got exhausted, completely lost my concentration. It was hard for me throughout, you know, for that rest of the match to keep up because the points were quite long. The longer the play went, I felt worse and worse. I just couldn't do it.

I'm still not in the best physical shape. I'm suffering in that department. It will take time for me to get that better because at the moment, you know, I'm struggling to play in a high level for two sets. If I was playing three sets, I don't know, they would probably take me in an ambulance and I would go out (laughter). But that's the way it goes.

Q. Did you feel ill?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I felt dizzy on the court. I needed a little bit of time after the match to come, you know, to life again. You know, I felt not so good. I'm still not feeling that strong. I'm feeling weak at the moment.

But what can I do?

Q. Is it harder to accept because the first ranking was available for you this week?

JELENA JANKOVIC: It's okay. Doesn't matter the first ranking. I want to be healthy. I want to improve. I want to play tennis. I mean, I don't really think about No. 1 or whatever happens. If it's going to happen, it will happen. But at the moment I don't deserve that spot. I am not in the best shape. I am not, you know, at my highest level. So it will take time for me to get better and better.

Q. Was the knee okay today?

JELENA JANKOVIC: My knee was okay. But because of the knee, I wasn't able to play for more than two weeks after Wimbledon and I completely got out of shape. You know, I lost also my muscles, endurance of course. It cannot happen overnight. You need days of training and days of hard work to get it better.

Q. You knew it was going to be against Cibulkova, but did you think it was going to be that tough?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I knew it was going to be a tough match because I played against her at the French Open. But there I was in good shape. I could play the long points. And she was the one who got tired. I was the one who was physically better at the French Open, and so I won in two sets. Especially on clay, where she plays better, the points are even longer, and she has a better chance.

And here I should have a, you know, better chance, kind of an upper hand, you know, on this surface, on a hard court. But when you're not prepared well enough, it's hard. She returns a lot of balls. She runs very well. It's tough to take a point against her. You have to earn it and you have to work hard for everything when you're playing against her.

Q. Do you think you're going to be in good shape for the Olympics?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. How many days I have now?

Q. Seven days.

JELENA JANKOVIC: How many? Seven? I don't think miracles can happen. But I can get, you know, a little bit better. You know, I'll try my best.

Q. How do you compare your match to the match you played against her in Fed Cup?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know what the Slovaks made, but it was the slowest court I have ever played on. I guess they did it because of her. I won. Especially playing in Slovakia with all the Slovaks cheering for her, which is normal. Fed Cups, there's always a different atmosphere there. But I managed to win that match.

And we played again in the French Open. I won there again. But here I'm not the same player as I used to be. I'm not as fit as I used to be.

Of course, it's a different opportunity for her. She used her chances and she got the match.

Q. How would you assess your ability to handle pressure?

JELENA JANKOVIC: What do you mean? Handle which pressure? Which pressure? What is the pressure? I mean, I'm just going out there to play my game. But, you know, when you're not your best, it's hard to do anything. You know, I want to play great tennis, but sometimes it's impossible.

Q. Did you see this coming today? Did you think there was a chance the match would turn out the way it did?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I didn't. You know, I thought I was gonna be fine. But just your body, it kind of collapses for some reason. I don't know, I guess it's normal. It's natural, you know. My body's not a machine. You play, you play, and eventually it will break down.

And that's what happened, especially today. So what can I do? I mean, when you're at this level, when you're not physically prepared well enough, it's very hard to compete against anybody 'cause nowadays the girls are very strong, very fit, and they can play for not just one hour and a half or two hours, they can play for five hours and run side to side. I cannot do that, even for an hour.

So that is the difference. That was the difference today.

Q. There have been a lot of complaints over the years that the schedule might be too busy, especially at this time of year. Do you get a sense of that right now?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Especially we reached more than half the season. We played a lot of tournaments, a lot of matches. And now there is, you know, a big part of the season coming up, big tournaments, Olympics, US Open. It's very important for all of us, you know, to be in the best shape. And we try our best to play so much. It's hard to, you know, get in form and, you know, really prepare yourself for the biggest ones and perform at your best, at your highest level.

But now having so many tournaments in a row that are very important is quite difficult. But it's the same for me and for all of the players. As you can see, a lot of injuries, a lot of players who are at the top are not really at their best. But this is I guess what happens. It's hard, but we have to deal with it.

Q. Would you have preferred to have some tougher physical tests leading up to this match? Your first two matches were a little easier than you had today.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. Cibulkova is one of the players who is one of the girls who really makes you work hard for your money. You know, when you go out there, you know that you're gonna be there for, you know, at least an hour and a half or two hours. If you get in the third set, who knows how long.

So you know that she runs so many balls down. She's a girl who really doesn't give you anything. So when you know that, you really have to be prepared. If you want to do that, you need to be in good shape to manage to hit, you know, more than sometimes five, six, seven, eight balls. After you play such a long point, you need to be ready for the next one, be prepared, not just get so tired and let go, give her so many gifts the next three points.

I mean, that's what happens. I'm disappointed, but I still have to continue to work and believe in myself, and that's it.

Q. Are you playing doubles with Ana at the Olympics?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. I don't think so. I'm not sure. We don't really play doubles. Especially with injuries I've been having, I'm barely playing singles. So I don't know if I could manage to play singles and doubles.

Q. If you're not that healthy in singles, two excellent players, a chance for a gold medal in doubles.
JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. We'll see when the time comes over there.

Q. The entries are in now.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't think we are playing then. I'm not sure, I guess.

Q. You're a Wimbledon champion.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I have no idea how to play doubles. I won mixed doubles in Wimbledon but, you know, I don't think I'm a good doubles player.

Q. Did you feel any of the fatigue that you felt today in either of your first two matches?

JELENA JANKOVIC: You know, I feel it during, you know, the play. I get tired and I take a little bit more time. But against the players that I've been playing, you know, maybe I would play a longer point and I would be very tired and not ready for the next one. But my opponents would either make a mistake and kind of, you know, give me some room to come back and to - how you say - regroup again and come back into the next point.

And this girl always, you know, every point, she doesn't give you any unforced errors. Every point she's out there, hitting every ball, on and on and on and on. So it's hard.

Q. People in Montréal were pretty enthusiastic with Wozniak and Dubois. Since Cibulkova is a hit taking out a lot of top players, you said you were having a tough time playing against Canadians in front of this crowd. Today the crowd was a little bit on her side. How did you feel?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. I didn't, you know -- you know, I wasn't concentrate and focused on how the crowd was. I was just trying to play tennis. But I was not feeling so good, so I had so many things on my mind that, you know, the last thing was to think about the crowd, who was on which side or what they are doing. When I play, I don't think about that. I just try my best.

Q. Do you think it could have been a source of motivation if the people would have been behind you?

JELENA JANKOVIC: No, I don't know. Maybe sometimes. But usually, to be honest, everywhere we play, there's so many Serbian people that come out and support us almost everywhere around the world. Here I haven't seen many Serbians, which is unusual. I don't know.

Q. Do you speak French?

JELENA JANKOVIC: A little bit. I don't want to speak French. I don't want to do anything. I am not in the mood now (laughter).

Q. How big are the Olympics for you?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Olympics, it's a very special event. We get opportunity to play Olympics every four years. Just to be surrounded by the best athletes in the world, being in the village with them, experiencing the whole event is special. So I hope, you know, I really look forward to giving my best there and hopefully being a little bit better form than I was here. We will see. I don't know. Anything can happen.

Q. What do you prefer, an Olympic medal or win in the US Open?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Actually, to be honest, a win in the US Open. I don't know why. I want to win a Grand Slam. It's just, you know, individual. But if I could choose, I would choose both. Very humble, huh (smiling)?

redsonja
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Q. Are you playing doubles with Ana at the Olympics?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. I don't think so. I'm not sure. We don't really play doubles. Especially with injuries I've been having, I'm barely playing singles. So I don't know if I could manage to play singles and doubles.

Q. If you're not that healthy in singles, two excellent players, a chance for a gold medal in doubles.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. We'll see when the time comes over there.

Q. The entries are in now.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't think we are playing then. I'm not sure, I guess.

:haha: Ohmigod, I love her.

Peeps, she sounds okay to me. Domi's been having a great hardcourt season. Jelena's undertrained, injured, a little sick maybe, and I think a little bit scattered (too many things going on in her head about the injury, about the season in general, about her next opponent, about the fall LV line...). She's going to be fine. We're all going to be fine. Deep breaths all 'round. :)

Kampi
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thank you Sarah:wavey::D

This interview is full of truth....well, good to see that she was pissed about herself all the time, but she seemed to be extra pissed about the "deal with pressure" question. Good, very good.;)

дalex
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I think she'll be OK once she gets in shape again. She doesn't sound too optimistic about Olympics, but it seems she would prefer to win a GS anyway...
Q. How would you assess your ability to handle pressure?

JELENA JANKOVIC: What do you mean? Handle which pressure? Which pressure? What is the pressure? I mean, I'm just going out there to play my game. But, you know, when you're not your best, it's hard to do anything. You know, I want to play great tennis, but sometimes it's impossible.

:haha: What is the pressure? JJ knows no pressure!

And another one of my favourite JJ quotes:
But what can I do?

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
And another one of my favourite JJ quotes:But what can I do?

I'm waiting for her to say

You know, but what can I do? Really, my time will come. For sure.

redsonja
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
That would be the greatest Jelena quote of all time.

дalex
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
:haha: That'd be like perfect JJ quote! :hug:

terjw
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Well I think that answers the question the commentators were saying at the end of the match. That she didn't look well but to her credit she didn't call a trainer. She didn't injure herself so that's why no trainer - but she's not got back her fitness yet. And yes she was puffing between points during the match.

I think she's dead right with the difference between this match and her R2 & R3 matches. That she'd get a few free points in those earlier matches to get her breath back. But Domi gave away nothing. Jelena had to fight in a long rally for every single point she won.

Still - Jelena sounded confident she'd have coped OK if she'd been fit enough which is good. She still believes in herself. Although she really didn't sound very confident about her chances at the Olympics right now.

So lets hope the injury stays OK as it seems it is right now - but that she can build up her strength in her knee and her overall fitness. At least she's in a better situation right now than Maria.

Cat123
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
JELENA JANKOVIC: It's okay. Doesn't matter the first ranking. I want to be healthy. I want to improve. I want to play tennis. I mean, I don't really think about No. 1 or whatever happens. If it's going to happen, it will happen. But at the moment I don't deserve that spot. I am not in the best shape. I am not, you know, at my highest level. So it will take time for me to get better and better.

:hug: Luff her.

I have no idea how to play doubles.

Sweetie, we'd noticed. :rolleyes:

I suddenly have little interest in the women's olympic tennis competition. JJ's falling to pieces and Maria, Anna and Beth aren't even going. :rolleyes:

Piska
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
:hearts:I love this girl :hearts: what can i do
thank you Kiera :worship:

Tashi
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I love her.:hug::lol:

redsonja
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I suddenly have little interest in the women's olympic tennis competition. JJ's falling to pieces and Maria, Anna and Beth aren't even going. :rolleyes:

Dinara for Olympic champion! http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/party/party_10.gif

Tashi
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
That's an incredibly cute smiley. I'll totally root for Dinara if JJ doesn't do well at the Olympics. Or anywhere else really. I fell in love with her after her speech at LA.

Cat123
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
The odds the other day on Dinara for gold was something like 12-1. If I had money to waste I might put some money on her!

RFS
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Peeps, she sounds okay to me. Domi's been having a great hardcourt season. Jelena's undertrained, injured, a little sick maybe, and I think a little bit scattered (too many things going on in her head about the injury, about the season in general, about her next opponent, about the fall LV line...). She's going to be fine. We're all going to be fine. Deep breaths all 'round. :)

Yeah - i wanted to see that presser just to be sure...
Coooool!

redsonja
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
The odds the other day on Dinara for gold was something like 12-1. If I had money to waste I might put some money on her!

Oooh, good call, Cat.

RFS
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Oooh, good call, Cat.

Hmmm.... where's that bookie...:lol:

~Kiera~
Aug 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Betmate are offering 19/1 (3% commission paid on winnings)

Ian Aberdon
Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
JJ needs time to get herself fit...problem is that it's time she never seems to give herself. And whilst it's nice to relax on a yacht with a nice bikini, that in itself won't help. I have to say - hearing the same old line that "I'm sick, I'm ill, I'm not 100%, I need time, I'll get better - well maybe it's just me, but I'm tiring of it frankly.

SHE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING TO GET HERSELF BETTER & PROPERLY FIT.

limedrops
Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Dinara for Olympic champion! http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/party/party_10.gif

If she doesn't have a mental breakdown like her big bro or learn to shrug things off she has a huge chance at gold. Ana's thumb is injured as is JJ's knee, Masha's out, Serena has a leg injury or something and I don't know if anything is wrong with Venus but she hasn't played in awhile and Kuznetsova will surely mess up some how.

Brena
Aug 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Oh, Ok I won't kill her, she' too cute :hug:
And yay for Dinara!

Cat123
Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
She's the only one who seems to be playing like they deserve to be in the top 10 at the moment!! I don't know what's wrong with all the top girls at the momen, but it's not fun. :rolleyes:

Kampi
Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
She's the only one who seems to be playing like they deserve to be in the top 10 at the moment!! I don't know what's wrong with all the top girls at the momen, but it's not fun. :rolleyes:

I agree the whole scene is going through difficult times atm and everyone who is in a responsible position at the WTA can't be happy about this. The schedule is tight as always and the amount of injured or not fully fit top players are alarming. This is every tournament directors worst nightmare and nobody can be happy to have only half packed stadiums. LA was just another sad example.

For our girl the time must be right to finally, yes finally consider about the unsatisfying situation. She must become much fitter and stronger in general. Her still good position in the ranking are not living to the truth so to speak. But she is not the only one with this kind of problem. She simply cannot close her eyes about the fact that she has still a lot of work ahead of her. Everything else would be eyewashing. First task, she must get fit and healthy asap. If this is finally achieved she must work her ass off. The trainingscourts and the gyms MUST become home for a good amount of time. She already has to think about the next season and make the right decisions in terms of that.

terjw
Aug 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I agree the whole scene is going through difficult times atm and everyone who is in a responsible position at the WTA can't be happy about this. The schedule is tight as always and the amount of injured or not fully fit top players are alarming. This is every tournament directors worst nightmare and nobody can be happy to have only half packed stadium. LA was just another sad example.

For our girl the time must be right to finally, yes finally consider about the unsatisfying situation. She must become much fitter and stronger in general. Her still good position in the ranking are not living to the truth so to speak. But she is not the only with this kind of problem. She simply cannot close her eyes about the fact that she has still a lot of work ahead of her. Everything else would be eyewashing. First task, she must get fit and healthy asap. If this is finally achieved she must work her ass off. The trainingscourts and the gyms MUST become home for a good amount of time. She still has to think about the next season and make the right decisions in terms of that.

Well I think Jelena from her interview knows full well that she needs to work and get her fitness up and it's not a case of her finally realising it. She already knows that.

But she' been off with her meniscus injury from Wimbledon and that was just bad luck and we really shouldn't expect miracles and too much right now after that as she tries to get back to playing. I think it would be unfair to expect her to get back to full fitness in time for the Olympics - but I am hoping she'll be right up there in time for the USO.

I think the USO will be a good time to see where she's at: Whether she can go forwards, or just stay the same e.g. something like getting far but losing to Ana, or backwards with another loss to a player she should normally beat.

Her fitness and movement are key to her whole game. She hasn't got the power of a Serena who can rely on just her power and her serve alone to get through and therefore come back after a layoff without any build up at all. With Jelena - she's always going to be a player that needs the time to build herself back up after an injury. Until then - against any player who has a day when they play well and don't give Jelena a breather by gifting her any free points and making her work for everything - she's going to be vulnerable.

~Kiera~
Aug 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hcdREDyFQXTxZpkwLvlmSIwdtmSw

Jankovic on top of the world
19 minutes ago

Jelena Jankovic will be the new world number one when the latest WTA rankings are unveiled on August 11.

The Serbian will take over from compatriot Ana Ivanovic, who became the first player from her country to reach top spot on June 9 in the wake of her French Open win.

"Since I was a young girl it's been my dream to become number one in the world," said Jankovic. "When you get older, at least one day you can say you were number one and no one can take that away from you."

She added: "You are in the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history books and it's a great achievement."

The achievement caps a remarkable turnaround for for Jankovic who was on the verge of quitting the sport in 2006 after a run of 10 consecutive opening-round losses.

The 23-year-old is yet to win a grand slam singles title, but will reach number one on the back of her consistent performances over the last year, which included winning the Rome title this year and reaching the semi-finals at the Australian Open and Roland Garros.

She will become the 18th player to top the WTA rankings.

Optima
Aug 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Bittersweet.

дalex
Aug 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Loves it! http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3207/5389a1ci9.gif (Thanks Sar for the article AND all the nice smilies :))

She got it, she deserved it! See if I care she's the weakest #1 ever! Nono.

дalex
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Oh happy day [oh happy day]....
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2491

Jankovic To Attain No.1 Ranking on August 11, 2008

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/jankovic_no1_200.jpg

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, USA – The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour will crown Jelena Jankovic as the new world No.1 when the official rankings are published on Monday, August 11, a week from this coming Monday.

Jankovic will replace Serbian compatriot Ana Ivanovic, who will have held No.1 for nine weeks from June 9 to August 10, 2008. Ivanovic was the first player representing Serbia to become No.1, with Jankovic now following right behind. The two are projected to be in close competition the next few weeks for the top ranking, with eight points separating them come August 11 - Jankovic is projected to have 3620 points on those rankings, and Ivanovic 3612 points.

Jankovic ascends to the pinnacle of women's professional tennis after a 12-month display of impressive and consistently successful results. Over the course of the past year, Jankovic has won the Tier I title in Rome, reached finals at Toronto (2007), Beijing (2007) and Miami (2008) and six semifinals, including two of the three Grand Slams so far this year (Australian Open, Roland Garros).

"Since I was a young girl, it has been my dream to become No.1 in the world," Jankovic said. "When you get older, at least one day you can say you were No.1 and no one can take that away from you. You are in the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history books and it's a great achievement."

At 23 years, 5 months and 13 days, Jankovic will become the 18th top-ranked player in women's tennis history, joining Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Martina Navratilova, Tracy Austin, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Jennifer Capriati, Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, Monica Seles, Amélie Mauresmo, Steffi Graf, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic.

"Jelena has had a fantastic year and displayed incredible grit and determination," stated Sony Ericsson WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott. "In addition to her tremendous talent and skill on the tennis court, Jelena also finds a special way to entertain and engage her fans, adding a unique spark and personality to our sport that is appreciated worldwide. Jelena's success adds another milestone for Serbian tennis and I am sure we will continue to witness great achievements by her."

"We are delighted to congratulate Jelena on the brilliant achievement of becoming No.1," remarked Aldo Liguori, Corporate VP and Head of Global Communications & PR, Sony Ericsson. "She joins a distinguished list of players who have held the top spot. Sony Ericsson is proud to be associated with the ongoing success of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour as it continues to raise the profile of women's tennis."

Jankovic began defining herself as a potential No.1 two years ago, when she labored past a string of 10 consecutive losses and a ranking drop to No.38 in the middle of the year. She successfully turned the season around and vaulted to No.12 by year end. Since then, the Serbian has been a consistent figure in the Top 10, securely staying inside the elite since February 26, 2007. Her season-ending ranking has improved from No.194 (in 2002), to No.85 (in 2003), to No.28 (in 2004), to No.22 (in 2005), to No.12 (2006) and to No.3 (in 2007).

:hearts:

~Kiera~
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Alex. Very nice :yeah:

Loves it! http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3207/5389a1ci9.gif (Thanks Sar for the article AND all the nice smilies :))

She got it, she deserved it! See if I care she's the weakest #1 ever! Nono.

I think most people are just whining because it's Jelena. I've even seen posts suggesting Sveta should be #1 instead because she won a slam back in 2004. Well in that case, Amelie deserves to be #1 because she's won two.

дalex
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I agree Sarah, they can whine as long as they want. JJ is the #1 player in the whole world.

Now, did she get that bowl for reaching #1? It's very nice and no one can take it away from her, I hope. :lol:

~Kiera~
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
I bet they gave her a tiny replica :lol:

Kampi
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thank you Alex:wavey::D

дalex
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
I bet they gave her a tiny replica :lol:

Cheap bastards (if they give her a replica)! :lol:
They can't even give away 18 #1 bowls in 30 year long history of WTA...Pfffttt :ras:

Optima
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Jelena in green :hearts:

~Kiera~
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Cheap bastards (if they give her a replica)! :lol:
They can't even give away 18 #1 bowls in 30 year long history of WTA...Pfffttt :ras:

The cups and plates some winners get at Wimbledon are hilarious. I've seen bigger saucers and egg cups :lol:

redsonja
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Just think, if you won a Career Slam, you could have an entire doll dish set.

Kampi
Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Just think, if you won a Career Slam, you could have an entire doll dish set.

That must be the goal.....come one Jelena....the display cabinet is still waiting for new "members".;)

Ian Aberdon
Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Jelena in anything :inlove:

Jelena in nothing :devil:

Jelena in No.1 ranking :inlove: :hearts: :inlove:

Now if she can only stay UNINJURED, HEALTHY etc...:rolleyes:

Kampi
Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM

Jelena in nothing :devil:

Jelena in No.1 ranking :inlove: :hearts: :inlove:

Now if she can only stay UNINJURED, HEALTHY etc...:rolleyes:

Hahaha, to this one....well, Ian, nobody has the right to blame you....you are just a man, like myself;):lol:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Not JUST a man...:angel:

Tashi
Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM

I wouldn't say anything. Homegirl has had some VERY questionable fashion moments. Green boots, anyone? :tape::lol:

kitb
Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Jelena's gonna be n°1, Jelena's gonna be n°1!!!
And no one will take that away from us ^^
Eheh

No but, we shouldnt give a f**k about those people saying she doesnt deserve it. This Grand Slam thing is stupid.
Kim became n°1 without any GS win, Amélie too.
And, tennis is not only about GS, if Jelena becomes n°1 it is because she's the one with the biggest amount of points full stop ^^

дalex
Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
More about the movie with JJ...
http://www.blic.co.yu/zabava.php?id=51498

Some quotes from the director Tanja Brzakovic:
Jelena is a fantastic actress

- The idea for filming this movie about JJ came from the sheer curiosity. First of all, I was fascinated by her fighting spirit. Even when it looks that the match is lost, she never gives up and tries to reverse the score to her own advantage. Precisely that strength to fight inspired me to try and find out what the real fighters are made of.

The director talks about how difficult it was to make the first contact with the great tennis player. She wrote a letter to the tennis player and her mother and with it she tried to convince them about the need to film a movie about Jelena and what she wants to achieve by filming it. After a few months of waiting the phone rang - Jelena and her family were very interested to meet with Tanja and see how it goes.

Tanja says that the biggest part of the movie was shot in Berlin this year. Many other famous tennis players are in it as well: Justine Henin, Svetlana Kuznetsova...

- Many of them we filmed during players' dinner party or during press conferences, but also during their trainings and matches with Jelena. The movie is all about Jelena. Just kidding, well, not really. With the filming techniques I tried to analyze Jelena and show all the aspects of her personality. She is a complex and exciting person and also very unconventional. We're hoping our movie will be the same. She's a great actress and everything was spontaneous, natural and humorous. I bet that many people imagine the lives of tennis players as fairy-tales, but the truth is it's much more complex, much more cruel. Jelena is not shy to show us even that part of their lives.

The movie premiere should be in October.

Kampi
Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thx Alex:wavey::)

Can't wait to finally see it.:D

~Kiera~
Aug 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Alex :)

redsonja
Aug 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
I'm so bitter that I'll probably never get to see it. :lol: It sounds like it has the potential to be really interesting.

~Kiera~
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.talas.info/jelenas_world.html

JELENAS WORLD, synopsis

Young, beautiful girl wakes up in one hotel room, in some exotic corner of our planet. After she gets up, dresses herself, washes her teeth, as any other twenty-two-year-old- girl would do, any similarity between this girl and regular twenty-two-year-old- girl disappears.

This girl is the third best world tennis player and today starts the new tennis-tournament.

She has very strict schedule to follow: breakfast, training, signing autographs, massage, consultations , relaxing and the first match. Always on her side she has her mother (family) and couple important associates. Sponsors, tournament organizations’, fans, they all want something from her. Even this film-crew that fallows her all around.

What Jelena wants is to become the number 1. This dream she shares with a whole bunch of other girls, but she is the one of the couple chosen ones that could see it come true. Fighting her way to that goal, she is not alone. Behind her is an army of fans from Serbia and all over the world, young ones and old ones, that need and believe in Jelena’s success. They identify themselves with this always smiling, eccentric, fighter- girl and experience every her success as their own.

But Jelena is not a super- hero. She has ups and downs, knows success, but also defeats, she cries when she is sad and smiles when she is happy; she doesn’t fear showing herself and her feelings as they really are. And that makes her super- idol.

Whit this movie all sport, tennis and Jelena fans will have a chance to dive deep into the world of professional tennis and he is never gone be same for them again, because they will be led through it by Jelena Jankovic herself.

There are screencaps on the site, too.

дalex
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Wow! Must watch that movie!
Hopefully it will become available online, too.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Keep the Oscars ready :drool:

Protic
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Minimalistic, but meaningful one-word quote from Jelena.

http://mvn.com/tennis/2008/07/21/serena-williams-arrives-in-carson/

Interestingly, while Serena is familiar with the Gimelstob incident – she knows him well and played doubles with him on the Washington Kastles the week after Wimbledon, Jelena Jankovic and Patty Schnyder didn’t know anything about it when I asked them. Not only that, but they hadn’t heard any talk about it in the locker room.

Jelena has also been asked to pose for the Serbian version of Playboy and turned them down, but fellow Serb Janko Tipsarevic agreed to an interview, fully clothed. And he used the opportunity to trash the women’s game. He said that 99% of the male tennis players “can’t stand women’s tennis” and he criticized the women for not being able to think strategically on court as well as the male players.

Jelena had heard about those comments, he’s a friend of hers after all, and she called them “mean.” Unnecessary and incorrect might also be a good description. Hopefully he’ll turn up at the ATP event in Los Angeles and I can throw a few question his way too.

дalex
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks Protic and welcome to JJ's forum! :wavey:

Keep the Oscars ready :drool:

Imagine that Oscar acceptance speech! :lol:

~Kiera~
Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you, Protic :)

JadeFox
Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Jelena at number one::hearts:

schorsch
Aug 4th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks Protic and welcome to JJ's forum! :wavey:

Imagine that Oscar acceptance speech! :lol:

i dont know :p but jj often freezes up during trophy presentations... so :P

Cat123
Aug 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Minimalistic, but meaningful one-word quote from Jelena.

http://mvn.com/tennis/2008/07/21/serena-williams-arrives-in-carson/

:eek: Janko! Seriously? Play nice boy, JJ and Ana will kick your ass. :(

~Kiera~
Aug 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.jj-jelenajankovic.com/eng/blog.php

Dear friends,

From Belgrade to LA to Montreal to Florida to Beijing this coming week. It's been a busy time after a few weeks recovering from my knee injury. Let's start with good news. A press release went out today that when the next rankings come out on August 11th I will be the world's next number one! For me this is a childhood dream come true. In fact I think I am still living the dream - it is difficult to believe that it is a reality and I think the news is still sinking in. To have my name added along side a select few of tennis greats who have achieved a number 1 ranking status is a real honor and I will do my very best to represent the position well to do those who have come before me proud. I have been pretty consistent over the last 12 months and finally, a lot of my hard work is paying off. Although I am really happy, I hope to continue business as usual and I want to continue to be a good ambassador for the sport. Of course, I want to share this victory with you, my fans, because I truly could not have reached this level without you - so thank you! Leading up to this celebration, I had a pretty tough two weeks. Let's start with LA.

Going into LA, I didn't have too high expectations from myself. It was my first tournament back after injury so I just wanted to go out there and take it one match at a time. Sometimes I feel a bit like a yoyo because I lose and gain fitness quite quickly so after 14 days of taking it easy, I found it quite hard to get back into the rhythm and be match fit. I started the tournament ok but lost do Dinara who really played a great match. She went on to win the tournament and is having a really good run right now. Overall, I was just happy to get through the event and to spend some time in LA which is one of my favorite cities. Maybe I will come back here as an actress one day!

Next was Montreal. I had to wake up really early - 4:30am to catch the first flight from LA to Montreal. Fortunately, I am pretty good at sleeping on the plane so I closed my eyes and before I knew it, we had landed in a new country. I knew it was going to be a tough tournament because the field included many of the world?s top players. I just wanted to focus on my game and keep on the right track for the Olympics and the US Open. I am a little disappointed to have lost in the quarter finals to Dominika Cibulkova and therefore i am working hard to get back into the adequate form and to improve my fitness level.

So, that's it for now. I'm heading to Beijing in a few days for another new and exciting chapter in my life. I'll be sure to keep you all posted as to how it goes.

Take Care and Stay Well,
JJ.

дalex
Aug 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I love her! :sobbing:
Need to post in the fanbook. :lol:

redsonja
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
How come like everyone else in the entire world went yesterday or is going today, and she's not leaving "for a few days"? Lorrrrrrrrrrrrd.

Overall, I was just happy to get through the event and to spend some time in LA which is one of my favorite cities. Maybe I will come back here as an actress one day!
Help. :tape: :lol:

дalex
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Secretary of Serbian Tennis Association said she'll in Beijing on Wednesday (in worst case).

~Kiera~
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
She's got important things to do first! She needs to have her (fake) tan topped up, hair cut and styled, nails done to match the colour of her new outfit, check out some new shoes on Rodeo Drive, have some new photos taken for no apparent reason (preferably on a boat) meet a sponsor in New York and then she can go to Beijing.

;)

redsonja
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
You are, of course, completely correct Sarah. Silly me. :lol:

RFS
Aug 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
From the ITF Tennis (http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/) Site for the Olympics ...
The draw for the 2008 Olympic Tennis Event takes place on Thursday 7 August at the Swissotel Hotel, Beijing
Draw information will be available here after that date.

Cat123
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
:lol: :hug: :rolleyes: Love her. She's bonkers.

~Kiera~
Aug 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=grant_paul&id=3509682

Nadal, Jankovic parlay 2008 success into world No. 1 rankings

MONTREAL -- You often don't notice it when the Earth moves beneath your feet.

Without much fanfare, the tennis world had that feeling over the weekend. With Rafael Nadal's loss in the semifinals of the Cincinnati Masters on Saturday and Jelena Jankovic's defeat in the quarterfinals of the Rogers Cup on Friday, professional tennis will have two new No. 1 players on the men's and women's sides, in the coming weeks.

The biggest change is on the men's side, of course, where Nadal will officially unseat Roger Federer on Aug. 18. The dethroning is the latest in a number of setbacks for Federer, who was ousted on Thursday from the Cincinnati tournament. A story that exemplifies the year he's having: While in Toronto two weeks ago for the Rogers Cup, Federer tried to check in to the Roger Federer Suite, but was rebuffed. Turns out it was reserved for someone else. Symbolism doesn't get much more obvious than that.

Federer's run had more than earned him a place in the tennis penthouse, however. He spent a record 236 weeks at the top, and he and archrival Nadal have been 1-2 for 159 weeks -- dating back to July 25, 2005 -- meaning he was feeling the glare of a hot, young talent for a long, long time.

The change will be more immediate on the women's side, as Jankovic will officially take the crown from fellow Serbian Ana Ivanovic on Aug. 11. Although she has yet to win a Grand Slam, Jankovic's ranking has been boosted by a win at the Tier I event in Rome and by reaching the semis at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.

On the women's side, there's seemingly a new coup every other month. The year started with Justine Henin at the top, but after her retirement in May, Maria Sharapova, Ivanovic and now Jankovic have risen to the fore, but without dominating. Venus and Serena Williams seem like the logical candidates to ride a solid run to the top, but neither has been able to play often enough to do so. All of the aforementioned have struggled this year with injuries.

"Nadal, he proved that he's an unbelievable player," said Dinara Safina, who rose to No. 7 after her win at the Rogers Cup here on Sunday. "I mean, he was No. 2 in the world and he won two Grand Slams this year. He really proved that he deserved to be there. And I think he's going to be there for a really long time. Jelena, she was playing consistent through last two years. She was [in] every tournament semifinal, every Grand Slam. She also deserves to be there."

Safina is making a good case for being the next candidate to storm the castle after beating unseeded Dominika Cibulkova on Sunday, a result that came hot on the heels of a win in Los Angeles.

"I think Dinara is now playing really well," Cibulkova said. "She won L.A. She played the final of Roland Garros. I think she's playing pretty good. She's a hard worker. So I think she can really make it."

Despite just one Tier I title in 2008, Jelena Jankovic's consistency catapult's her to the No. 1 ranking.

"I never think about the rankings or look so far [ahead to] what can I do," Safina said. "I just want to stay healthy because, like you say, there are many girls that are injured. You start rushing, like you want to get there, then you forget about maybe your fitness. You start to play more tournaments because you want to go somewhere that your body cannot go. For me, I just want stay healthy and plan the schedule and give my 100 percent. God knows what can happen."

And that could mean a week-to-week rankings watch.

"It's an exciting time in general with the changing of the No. 1 players," said ESPN analyst Mary Joe Fernandez, a three-time Grand Slam finalist. "With the women, Justine Henin retired, so it kind of put everything up for grabs. So it's a huge opportunity. For Jelena Jankovic, who has never been to the final of a Grand Slam, to say she's No. 1 in the world? What a thrill. She'd be the first to say, 'I don't know if I deserve it,' but she's got it for her consistency and her solid play. We're going to see a lot of flip-flopping in the next few months. It's going to be a race to the end of the year. … [It's] a huge, huge opportunity for the top six, eight players in the world."

Jankovic was asked after her ouster here what a potential No. 1 spot would mean to her. She seemed to agree with Fernandez's assertion.

"Doesn't matter, the first ranking," she told reporters at a news conference. "I want to be healthy. I want to improve. I want to play tennis. I mean, I don't really think about No. 1 or whatever happens. If it's going to happen, it will happen. But at the moment, I don't deserve that spot. I am not in the best shape. I am not, you know, at my highest level."

It's also of some significance that the women's No. 1 title wasn't actually won. Sure, Nadal lost in the semis to get there in anticlimactic fashion, but before that he had put together an impressive five-tournament streak to overcome Federer, including winning both the French Open and Wimbledon. Jankovic, on the other hand, lost in the quarterfinals here while backing up to the top.

"Well, Justine Henin dominated for quite a bit of time and she was 1,700 points ahead of No. 2 when she retired, so we wouldn't be having this conversation if she hadn't retired unexpectedly," Fernandez said. "But again, there's a lot of depth. To me, the Williams sisters, when they're at their best, are the No. 1 and 2 players in the world, but they don't play enough. This year's been a little better and I think they're going to be in the running to finish No. 1 in the year."

What it all might turn out to be, when considered a year from now, is a changing of the guard in both men's and women's tennis. Out with the old, in with the new. The Earth slowly turning.

"I think if you look at the top 10, OK, we have [the] Williams sisters," Safina said. "They're older than all of us, but mostly all of [us] are young. You would say Ana, Jelena, Sveta, Chakvetadze, Radwanska, we're all less than 25 years old. So for us, maybe it's still like some new experience. Justine, she was more mature. That's why for us it's something [of a] new experience. So maybe we're still a little bit young to deal with this or maybe just changing the whole top 10, a new generation."

Paul Grant is a deputy editor at ESPN.com.

redsonja
Aug 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
"Nadal, he proved that he's an unbelievable player," said Dinara Safina, who rose to No. 7 after her win at the Rogers Cup here on Sunday. "I mean, he was No. 2 in the world and he won two Grand Slams this year. He really proved that he deserved to be there. And I think he's going to be there for a really long time. Jelena, she was playing consistent through last two years. She was [in] every tournament semifinal, every Grand Slam. She also deserves to be there."

Bless Dinara Safina. I love her a little bit more every day.