дalex
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Nice! Dina, :yeah:

RFS
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Yay Dinara!!!

Cat123
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Bless Dinara Safina. I love her a little bit more every day.

Me too. :hug:

Wayn77
Aug 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Dinara is cool ..... like her brother. :cool:

limedrops
Aug 5th, 2008, 05:17 AM
As if Safina couldn't get any cooler, love her for defending JJ.
I know people are still complaining about Jelena and whether or not she deserves to be #1 or not, including myself, but I now I think she still has time to prove herself, until she officially retires, which probably means death to her, then we will know.

downunderfan
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I actually warmed to Safina few years ago when Marat was in his prime and was asked about her. He said something like - she's never gonna be a proper player, etc. Then, of course, she was asked to comment on that. She was an absolute sweetie saying he didn't really mean that, she wasn't offended at all and completely protecting him. I was like: wow, what a sweet sister, he doesn't deserve her.

redsonja
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
It just always seemed to me like living in Marat's shadow would be such a horrible burden-- such an amazing talent and charisma, you could work 10 times as hard and never be as good or as interesting or as big a draw. I'm so pleased for her that she's having some real success of her own.

As for JJ and #1, I'm so tired of people harping on her not deserving it. First of all, if someone else deserved it, they'd have enough points to beat her out, so it's a total moot point to me. If Ana had made it one more round at just one of those tournaments she went out early, it would probably have been enough. Second, she's said she doesn't think she measures up, which I think is a terrible enough thing to have on your back when it's just you thinking it; it's even worse when you don't think you're good enough and everyone else publicly agrees with you. What horror. It's probably good for her that the Olympics are the tournament she's going to be playing while she's #1, somewhere where tennis is not the main focal point and there are a lot of distractions from whether or not Jelena Jankovic "deserves" her ranking. I hope she does well, of course, but mostly I hope that all this doesn't just eat at her.

Cat123
Aug 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think she thinks she doen't deserve it. ;) I know I harp on about Ana pandaring to the press, but JJ's a smart cookie, I'm sure she's playing it up a bit. If she said "yeah, it's mine. Boo sucks to you all" (or something :rolleyes: ) She'd get accused of beng arrogant as well as haveing no Grand Slams.

redsonja
Aug 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I think she thinks she doesn't deserve it because she said so many times in the months leading up to this that she thinks no one deserves to be #1 without a Grand Slam. And I don't think that her being #1 now means that all those months she was just saying that for the sake of saying it.

дalex
Aug 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I think she thinks she doesn't deserve it...

She better not think that or I'll strangle her!
She should just use this as an incentive to work even harder on winning a GS title asap. Just that, without the pressure that she has to prove anything to anyone.
But, she said she didn't know what pressure was, so I guess she'll be fine. :lol:

ms_nut
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
It just always seemed to me like living in Marat's shadow would be such a horrible burden-- such an amazing talent and charisma, you could work 10 times as hard and never be as good or as interesting or as big a draw. I'm so pleased for her that she's having some real success of her own.

As for JJ and #1, I'm so tired of people harping on her not deserving it. First of all, if someone else deserved it, they'd have enough points to beat her out, so it's a total moot point to me. If Ana had made it one more round at just one of those tournaments she went out early, it would probably have been enough. Second, she's said she doesn't think she measures up, which I think is a terrible enough thing to have on your back when it's just you thinking it; it's even worse when you don't think you're good enough and everyone else publicly agrees with you. What horror. It's probably good for her that the Olympics are the tournament she's going to be playing while she's #1, somewhere where tennis is not the main focal point and there are a lot of distractions from whether or not Jelena Jankovic "deserves" her ranking. I hope she does well, of course, but mostly I hope that all this doesn't just eat at her.

:fiery: It' frustrating when they say she doesn't deserve it.I wish i could come up with a retort but i really don't know what to say about JJ getting to #1.On one hand i'm really happy that she got it.Tennis is all about confidence and this might be just the shot in the arm she needs to get to the "Champion" level. Corina Morariu has been really nice about that.She keeps mentioning that JJ has been extremely consistent this year and deserves the #1. I know a lot of people have talked about Davenport,Kim,Mauresmo being #1 but even they had better results than just 1 tour title.Heck, it would have made sense if she had a clay court season like last year.;);)But i'm not going to let that get me down. She's #1 and that's all that matters right now.:bounce::bounce:

That's a great point you bring up. OTOH, i hope the enormity of the Olympics doesn't put her into choke mode.:help:
I still don't get why so many people dislike JJ on GM. She is the nicest, friendliest player to tennis fans.She's always ready to sign autographs, take her picture etc.etc.. How can anyone not like her...:shrug:

It must be horrible to get to #1 and have everyone snickering behind her back about her not deserving #1.:sad:

дalex
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Wow I thought Corina hated JJ. :tape:
I guess I was wrong. :yeah:

Central Court is huge in Beijing. I'm not sure JJ will like it, it's somewhat claustrophobic (stands are steep and higher rows have a roof cover) but it looks really nice. :unsure: [notice how I'm already making up excuses for JJ not doing well :lol:]

So, can we picture JJ winning a medal here?

http://i37.tinypic.com/ok7kv7.jpg
http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/IO_29265_gallery.JPG
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080723/i/r3346717447.jpg?x=400&y=283&sig=xDkot7GJEt8bChxsexrnSw--

RFS
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
With the exception of Wimbledon... she's made the Semis of the other "majors" ... so if she could hang in there for a bronze in the play offs, that'd do me... obviously Gold would be better...

redsonja
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, she's on NBC's list of Top Athletes for tennis! :lol:

Tennis Athletes (http://www.nbcolympics.com/tennis/athletes/index.html)

NBC are morons. :tape: (And I don't mean about her being on there... wait until you see who else made it :p)

дalex
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
There's a poll about whether JJ is a deserving #1 here:
http://www.tennis.com/index.aspx
It's on the left of the page.

As for JJ's result at the Olympics - I'm not expecting much. She needs to be fit or really aggressive with not making many UEs because everyone will fight really hard to make their countries proud.

дalex
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
(And I don't mean about her being on there... wait until you see who else made it :p)

You're such a James Blake hater! :lol:

Maybe they thought those are the athletes who'd die for their countries? I guess they'd be right about JJ if she was fit. :shrug:

Wayn77
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Am I the only here who still doesn't give a damn about tennis at the olympics?

Pretty sure I will change my tune once the competition starts.

Anyways after that shattering Cibulkova defeat, I am just hoping for some solid wins.

And a medal (any) would be nice.

redsonja
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
You're such a James Blake hater! :lol:

I am, but I was thinking more of Philipp Kohlschreiber. :lol: Whom I actually like, but really, over Nadal, Djokovic and Murray they went with... Kohlschreiber? :lol:

Maybe they thought those are the athletes who'd die for their countries? I guess they'd be right about JJ if she was fit. :shrug:

I think it's potentially truer if she's not fit. :p

Wrekin
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Central Court is huge in Beijing. I'm not sure JJ will like it, it's somewhat claustrophobic (stands are steep and higher rows have a roof cover) but it looks really nice.]

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080723/i/r3346717447.jpg?x=400&y=283&sig=xDkot7GJEt8bChxsexrnSw--

That's an impressive set-up.

China getting itself ready as a major tennis venue for the future?

Even if they can't get their hands on a slam, the China Open seems bound to become a much bigger deal in future. They've got the home-grown players and the crowd support to go with it, in all probability.

Just Do It
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone knows where is Jelena now ? :tape: She went straight to Beijing from Montreal or to Belgrade/Florida first ?

дalex
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Am I the only here who still doesn't give a damn about tennis at the olympics?

IMO, Olympics are THE most prestigious sport competition. Winning gold (any medal) would maybe not put you in the tennis hall of fame but you'd become one of all time sport greats and part of history books as well. Not to mention thut your own country celebrates you as a god almost (like in ancient Greece :p).

I am, but I was thinking more of Philipp Kohlschreiber. :lol: Whom I actually like, but really, over Nadal, Djokovic and Murray they went with... Kohlschreiber? :lol:

I know! He's allright on HC but sure they could have put someone else. I love how there's 2 Americans on their top list :p.

I think it's potentially truer if she's not fit. :p

:scared: & :lol:

~Kiera~
Aug 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=grant_paul&id=3519918

WTA stars exultant about opportunity to play for gold
By Paul Grant

Updated: August 5, 2008, 11:41 AM ET

MONTREAL -- The Olympics were a hot topic among the players at the Rogers Cup WTA tournament last week. Here's what some of the top players had to say to reporters about participating in the Beijing Games:

Question: Jelena Jankovic announced that it's unfortunate [Maria] Sharapova will not play in the Olympics. Can you comment on this?

Answer from Ana Ivanovic, Serbia: She won't play Olympics? I didn't know that. It must be very disappointing because for many players I think they put Olympics even higher than a Grand Slam. So I guess that's a very, very disappointing fact.

Soon to be the world No. 1, Jelena Jankovic has her sights set on Olympic gold and the U.S. Open.

Q: Do you put the Olympics higher than the Grand Slam tournament?

A: It's definitely [a] very important event, especially you get chance to play once in four years. You play this year, and who knows in four years if you would be, you know, able to play it? So, it's definitely very high on my list.

[B]Question: How big are the Olympics for you?

Answer from Jelena Jankovic, Serbia: Olympics, it's a very special event. We get [an] opportunity to play Olympics every four years. Just to be surrounded by the best athletes in the world -- being in the village with them, experiencing the whole event -- is special. So … I really look forward to giving my best there and hopefully being [in] a little bit better form than I was here. We will see. I don't know. Anything can happen.

Q: What do you prefer, an Olympic medal or to win the U.S. Open?

A: Actually, to be honest, a win in the U.S. Open. I don't know why. I want to win a Grand Slam. It's just, you know, individual. But if I could choose, I would choose both. Very humble, huh?

Question: Are the Olympics just as important to you as a Grand Slam?

Answer from Dinara Safina, Russia: Doesn't matter, Grand Slam or Olympics. … If I could pick one, it's only it's once in four years, yeah, maybe it's more like kind of special. But I don't know, I don't mind to have one of them.

Question: What do you think of going to the Olympics?

Answer from Dominika Cibulkova, Slovakia: I'm really looking forward to [going] there. I'm so excited about my first Olympic Games. It will be just something different, Olympic Games. I will be playing not just for myself; I will be playing for Slovakia. I hope to play well. Now, I have enough confidence to believe in myself, and we will see there.

Paul Grant is a deputy editor at ESPN.com.

schorsch
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Kohli is not the kind of guy who would die playing for Germany. Yes, he has played Davis Cup a lot, but he has proven to be really greedy and found himself struggling to get on with all of the teammates (part of this is not his fault as Waske is a jerk).

But I do see a lot of potential in him, apart from lack of experience and mental thingies he has to obtain over the next few years, he has everything to make it to the top. There's practically no weakness in his game. (And I dont even like him that much... but his game is so "flowey" :P)

schorsch
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
DID ANYONE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT GREECE? WHAT ? HUH ?

*paranoia*

Tashi
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM
http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=141414

Just A Number: Jankovic begins as weakest No. 1
By Kamakshi Tandon and Robert Waltz

AUGUST 5—Is it better to be the weakest No. 1 in history or the strongest No. 2 in history? The two will be juxtaposed next week – Jelena Jankovic will ascend to No. 1 in the WTA rankings and Rafael Nadal will mark his last few days as the current No. 2 in the ATP rankings.

When Nadal does get to No.1 in two weeks' time, he will do so by virtue of eight titles – two Grand Slams, four Masters Series and two others. He also has a Masters final and Grand Slam semifinal on his record.

That’s what it’s taken to get on top Roger Federer, and after 160 straight weeks of waiting, Nadal will finally have done it.

When Jankovic becomes No. 1 next week, she’ll do it on the back of just one title – the Tier I (Masters level) event in Rome. Her next best results are two Grand Slam semifinals and two other Tier I finals.

To make matters worse, Jankovic has backpedaled her way to the summit, not even capturing a tournament while No. 1 was on the line. A win in Los Angeles two weeks ago would have given her the top spot, but she lost in the semifinals. It was the same scenario in Montreal last week, but she lost in the quarterfinals. Jankovic managed to secure the position only because Ana Ivanovic and Svetlana Kuznetsova also lost early.

So quietly did she slip in the back door that it took till the next day for the news to become official. After her loss on Friday, Jankovic was seemingly unaware that she still had a chance to shortly become No. 1. “The No. 1 spot doesn't matter,” she said, “If it's going to happen, it will happen. At the moment I don't deserve that spot. I am not in the best shape, I am not at my highest level. So it will take time for me to get better."

By Friday evening, all three of the top contenders were out of the event, and Jankovic’s imminent ascension was announced late the following afternoon. Her earlier assessment not withstanding, she voiced herself happy to be becoming the 18th woman to be No. 1 in the Sony Ericsson WTA rankings. “Since I was a young girl it's been my dream to become No.1 in the world,” she said. “When you get older, at least one day you can say you were No.1 and no one can take that away from you.”

Who could blame her? As a strong No. 2, Nadal may have achieved many times what Jankovic has during her career so far, but the Serb still will see her name in gold a week before the Spaniard.

History doesn’t rank the ranking, it simply records who’s No. 1

A LESS LOFTY PEAK

Those who watch the sport, however, often do debate the quality of the No. 1 player – and recently we’ve had more reason to do so. Much like the men’s succession of short-lived No. 1s in the late 1990s, the women have been churning out a growing number of half-established No. 1s – all fine players, but without the pedigree of their uber-dominant predecessors. Being No. 1 doesn’t quite carry the same weight during such periods.

As her words Friday afternoon indicate, this isn’t the route Jankovic would have chosen to get to the summit, but for better or for worse, it’s what she’s received. Some are born to be No. 1, some achieve it, and others have it thrust upon them.

Jankovic is the most striking example ever of the latter group – the only player to achieve the top ranking without even having been to a Grand Slam final.

It’s a new low all right, but the bar has been steadily sinking for some time.

Kim Clijsters made history in 2003 when she became the first player to rank No. 1 without a Grand Slam title to her name, and Amelie Mauresmo soon followed suit in 2004.

By the objective measure of ranking points held when becoming No. 1, it’s clear that the past four players to reach No. 1 have been the least dominant of the decade – and in reality, the least dominant since rankings began in 1973 (see graph on right).

But public perception of the top player’s legitimacy is often determined by the more subjective criteria of career achievement and the ability to defeat other top players.

Venus Williams may have had fewer points than Kim Clijsters when becoming No. 1, but were seen as a far more worthy holder of the crown because of her four Grand Slam titles and past victories over all her rivals. Clijsters, by contrast, was dominating in other tournaments but constantly struggled against compatriot Justine Henin in Grand Slam finals and had yet to win her lone major at the 2005 US Open.

Astonishingly, four of the past six new No. 1s have not been holding a Grand Slam title when they reached the top ranking – Jankovic, Mauresmo, Clisters, and Maria Sharapova, who became No. 1 just over a year after winning Wimbledon as a 17-year-old.

Even when Ana Ivanovic clinched the top spot this June, she did so by winning her French Open semifinal – had she lost the final, she would still have moved up and become yet another Slamless No. 1.

It used to be that you won Slams and then got to No. 1. these days, players have been getting to get to No. 1 and then – if all goes well – winning a Slam or two.

REASONS BEHIND THE TREND

Clearly, it’s taking less and less to outpace the field on the women’s tour these days. Why?

1. Justine Henin’s retirement

It’s a short-term aberration, but the sudden retirement of the world’s top player in April has had a very real and direct impact on the rankings. Even if Henin hadn’t played between her shock announcement in April and now, she would have stayed No. 1 till the week after next.

Ironically, that's also when Jankovic is likely to drop back down to No. 2 or 3. So it's unequivocally true that all else being equal, the Serb would not be No. 1 next week had Henin not retired. Ana Ivanovic would also still be waiting for a chance at the top spot.

2. Increased depth (yes, it’s real)

Ten years ago, a player who could hit solidly off both wings from the baseline could be assured of a reasonable future on the tour. Now, there are scores of young Eastern Europeans and a smattering of canny veterans all capable of doing that and more, and top players are no longer blowing others off the court in match after match. As the Williams sisters demonstrated at the French Open and Ivanovic and Sharapova at Wimbledon, even the early rounds of Grand Slams now bring players capable of knocking off a rusty top seed.

As a result, it’s hard for a single competitor to dominate the way the likes of Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles and even Martina Hingis did. Now, someone like Jankovic, who keeps piling up semifinals and quarterfinals, can keep pace with the scattered up-and-down results of the big-time winners.
3. Injuries and retirements

Injuries have prevented most of the top players from playing a full schedule over the last few years, giving someone like the tireless Jankovic an even bigger edge in piling up ranking points. And a spate of retirements – Clijsters, Hingis, Henin, Myskina – have helped clear the way for younger players to move up.

4. The ranking system itself

In an effort to encourage players to play more, the WTA ranking system has increasingly rewarded quantity over quality (see sidebar).

Points are now are calculated not by averaging a player’s total results but adding together her best results. As a result, there’s no cost to playing extra events – losing in the first round would bring down your average under the old system, but under the new system and you can simply drop your lowest score as long as you play more than 18 events. Jankovic, who has played 23 events over the past year compared to 14 for Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova, has much more padding in her points total than either of the two past Australian Open champions.

The benchmark for an average schedule has also increased from 12 events in 1995 to 14 in 1996 to 17 today. It is scheduled to drop back to 16 under next year’s Roadmap changes. Finally, the decision two years ago to stop awarding extra points for defeating top players has shifted the emphasis away from quality and towards the sheer ability to notch wins (against anyone). The Roadmap will next year severely restrict where top players can play and should result in more match-ups between them, but it doesn’t offer any extra boost for rising youngsters or the tour’s giant-killers.

Like Clijsters and Mauresmo, who eventually backed up their No. 1 spots with Grand Slam titles, Jankovic still has time to build a resume that will retroactively make her a fully-fledged member of the club. But when her reign begins next week, she'll have the dubious distinction of being the least accomplished No. 1 in WTA history.

Wrekin
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
To make matters worse, Jankovic has backpedaled her way to the summit,

Some are born to be No. 1, some achieve it, and others have it thrust upon them.
Jankovic is the most striking example ever of the latter

It’s a new low all right, but the bar has been steadily sinking for some time.

when her reign begins next week, she'll have the dubious distinction of being the least accomplished No. 1 in WTA history.

No-one's going to give her a break, are they :rolleyes:

louisa.
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
doesn't sound like it. :(
poor jelena.. this is too much crap for anyone to cop. :hug:

дalex
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
JJ should be in Beijing already according to Press. She was supposed to arrive early this morning. Novak is arriving today or tomorrow.

Dawn123
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
:bounce:Jelena arrives in Beijing http://www.mtsmondo.com/peking2008/text.php?vest=105518
She looks happy and relaxed:bounce::bounce::bounce:

JadeFox
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
:bounce:Jelena arrives in Beijing http://www.mtsmondo.com/peking2008/text.php?vest=105518
She looks happy and relaxed:bounce::bounce::bounce:

She looks cute! Hopefully she'll be relaxed and be able to play her best.

Wayn77
Aug 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Jelena looks lovely. You gooooo Girl!!!

дalex
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
She was traveling with USA baseball team. Said they were nice and interesting and that they've asked for autographs and pictures. :lol:
That must have been an interesting flight!

She also said that being #1 at the Olympics will give her motivation to work even harder in the future. She was injured and she's gradually improving her form and now she has few more days to get ready for the Games.
She will give her all to win a medal.

Dawn123
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
She said that she was in the same plane with American baseball team and that gays were very nice to her!!! Jelena you :devil:

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Ajde :banana:

RFS
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
LMAO at the thought of a thirteen hour jelena flirt-fest!!! :devil:

~Kiera~
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Dawn and Alex.

LMAO at the thought of a thirteen hour jelena flirt-fest!!! :devil:

I bet that was an interesting flight :lol:

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I am wondering who will Jelena share room with in Olympic village ? Ana ?

дalex
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I think it was announced they are not sharing rooms with anyone.

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
^ Not even with Sneki ? :awww: By the way she did not come to Beijing with Jelena ?

дalex
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I don't know everything, Danilo. :lol:
But I do think the Olympic village is for athletes only, so I guess Sneki won't be there. I'm not sure, though.

redsonja
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Sneki could not, ever, be her roommate in the Village. It is strictly for athletes only, it's very hard to get anyone else even to visit in the Village. Staying there would be absolutely impossible. (And American TV said she wasn't going, anyway.)

I would be very impressed if Jelena and Ana managed to swing single rooms for themselves (like, astounded impressed :eek: ); sharing is the norm and usually to keep down disruptions to an athlete's schedule they have you share with someone from your sport. So if they had roommates, yes, Jelena and Ana together would be the most likely thing.

And :lol: at Jelena and the USA baseball team. Ha! :hehehe:

дalex
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I think JJ is into Olympics because she's genuinely impressed by being in the Village with all those athletes. I bet she's gonna talk to everyone, giggle, flirt...She and Jamie could get together again. :hehehe:

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Sneki could not, ever, be her roommate in the Village. It is strictly for athletes only, it's very hard to get anyone else even to visit in the Village. Staying there would be absolutely impossible. (And American TV said she wasn't going, anyway.)
I would be very impressed if Jelena and Ana managed to swing single rooms for themselves (like, astounded impressed :eek: ); sharing is the norm and usually to keep down disruptions to an athlete's schedule they have you share with someone from your sport. So if they had roommates, yes, Jelena and Ana together would be the most likely thing.

And :lol: at Jelena and the USA baseball team. Ha! :hehehe:

Impossible is nothing for Super Sneki :angel:

~Kiera~
Aug 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Marta and Aga are sharing a room -

Marta Domachowska says that they have big mess in their bedroom and they are working on unpacking their bags.
Agnieszka adds that bedroom is quite small but they don't complaint. They like it in general. She says also that in their wardrobes there's no enough place for all their things. She mentions also that she didn't get to the time zone change. Last night she slept only 4 hours. She woke up at 2 AM and she couldn't sleep anymore. Domachowska adds: "I hear at 2 AM: - Are you sleeping? Again, at 4 AM: - Are you sleeping? Later Klaudia Jans (another tennis player) send me a message "More quiet there, please! Because we were quite noisy then." She said that they couldn't wait to the morning. Finally - that they haven't acclimate yet.

I can see Jelena and Ana bugging the crap out of each other :lol:

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
^ :lol: I doubt Jelena will be alone in the room, I guess she will share it with some other Serbian athlete. But who knows, maybe they put her with Ana :lol:

Wrekin
Aug 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by martin2910 View Post
Marta Domachowska says that they have big mess in their bedroom and they are working on unpacking their bags.
Agnieszka adds that bedroom is quite small but they don't complaint.

I rather like this. No VIP treatment for wealthy tennis pros then :p

They like it in general. She says also that in their wardrobes there's no enough place for all their things.

Where's JJ going to put her shoes? :lol:

JadeFox
Aug 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Where's JJ going to put her shoes? :lol:

She can leave her shoes with me. You know, for safe keeping.;):p

redsonja
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Impossible is nothing for Super Sneki :angel:
This would be.

I can see Jelena and Ana bugging the crap out of each other :lol:
Yes. Which is the primary reason they should be rooming together. With a camera in the corner of the room and a live internet feed so we can all watch. :lol:

ce
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
safina :hearts:

ce
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
no way that Ana and JJ are in same room :haha:
that would be :tape:

Wayn77
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Serbian sisters have been known to play together quite nicely, under modest supervision.

But sharing a room for the whole week ... I don't think that's a very good idea. :tape: :lol:

downunderfan
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think JJ is into Olympics because she's genuinely impressed by being in the Village with all those athletes. I bet she's gonna talk to everyone, giggle, flirt...She and Jamie could get together again. :hehehe:

I'm slightly concerned that she won't see poor Jamie alongside all those muscular boys. I mean, she already started flirting on the plane! Come on! :eek::lol:

Re: the roommates - I had an awful dream about her and Puppy sharing the room, so I dunno... If that happens (!?!) can we please have a camera installed in the room somehow? :tape:

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Re: the roommates - I had an awful dream about her and Puppy sharing the room, so I dunno... If that happens (!?!) can we please have a camera installed in the room somehow? :tape:

Best. Reality show. Ever.

schorsch
Aug 7th, 2008, 12:29 AM
she could get one with mattek :) although she mite not get much sleep than :scared:

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
That would be difficult since Bethanie's not on the American team. :lol:

Also, no inter-country sharing. If she does have a roommate, it'll be a Serbian. :)

schorsch
Aug 7th, 2008, 12:53 AM
blah :P

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Beijing 2008: Women's Singles Draw (http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_35059_original.PDF)

It is not pretty, y'all.

Tashi
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
So we got Domi for the 3rd round, Dinara for the quarters, Kuzzy/Venus for the semis, Ana/Rena for the final. Lord.

Oh, I didn't see Lindsay, Li Na, Szavay, and Zheng are in her part of the draw too. Hmm.

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Well, at least she made some new friends on the plane. :p

Tashi
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Yeah, and some more frequent flyer miles.

schorsch
Aug 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
such http://bp3.blogger.com/__1m1eGKIxMA/Rua8Fy_wmWI/AAAAAAAAAFk/H9KlTUMyvcE/s1600/project_optimism.jpg . . .

Cat123
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Oh god, if Ana and JJ are sharing a room there would be carnage!! :lol:

And don't wory, I'm sure Jamie will find a way of getting Jelena's attention. :devil:

Dinayer
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
[8] WILLIAMS Venus (7) USA vs. [61] BACSINSZKY Timea SUI
[56] BENESOVA Iveta CZE vs. [60] MIRZA Sania IND
[35] DULKO Gisela ARG vs. [41] DELLACQUA Casey AUS
[15] AZARENKA Victoria (12) BLR vs. [78] PEREBIYNIS Tatiana UKR_____
[17] PENNETTA Flavia (14) ITA vs. [48] KANEPI Kaia EST
[27] RAZZANO Virginie FRA vs. [51] DANIILIDOU Eleni GRE
[49] ERAKOVIC Marina NZL vs. [145] MORITA Ayumi (IP) JPN
[3] KUZNETSOVA Svetlana (3) RUS vs. [43] LI Na CHN

[7] SAFINA Dinara (6) RUS vs. [164] SANTANGELO Mara ITA
[24] DAVENPORT Lindsay USA vs. [141] MOLIK Alicia (IP) AUS
[65] ZAKOPALOVA Klara CZE vs. [101] LLAGOSTERA VIVES Nuria (IP) ESP
[14] SZAVAY Agnes (11) HUN vs. [38] ZHENG Jie CHN_______________
[20] CIBULKOVA Dominika (16) SVK vs. [46] PARMENTIER Pauline FRA
[45] PIRONKOVA Tsvetana BUL vs. [54] DOMACHOWSKA Marta POL
[30] BONDARENKO Alona UKR vs. [213] SEQUERA Milagros VEN
[2] JANKOVIC Jelena (2) SRB vs. [658] BLACK Cara (INV) ZIM

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Well, at least she made some new friends on the plane. :p

Yeah, and some more frequent flyer miles.

:sobbing:
She won't be there long enough to make new friends in Beijing! :tape:
What did she ever do to deserve these draws? This is not good even for a healthy JJ! She was dead tired in Montreal, how's she supposed to deal with Beijing conditions then? :(

Dinayer
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Good luck Jelena :D

Cat123
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Cibulkova again? Oh. Dear.

Nina.
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM

What about coaches and the rest of the team a tennis player usually travels around with? Aren't they allowed to stay in the village?

Best. Reality show. Ever.
Yep. :lol:

Btw...tough draw for JJ...Am I surprised? No, couldn't say so...

RFS
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
JJ did mention her mum would be a spectator at Beijing - but they will not be staying in the Athlete's Village ... the players will have to stump up for rooms for them off campus I guess.
Besides... the whole part of the Olympic Experience is to be in the village with hundreds of other sports folks and the reps from your own delegation... this isn't just another WTA tourney...

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.alo.co.yu/ljudi/5828/Jelena_ceka_princa

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9852/jelnavjc5.jpg

Jelena Jankovic wore a wedding dress for the first time. No, she didn't secretly get married for her long time boyfriend Nemanja Marinkovic, she posed for the latest edition of "Wedding" magazine.

- I'm too young to settle down. I'll think about marriage when I approach my 30s. I'm currently traveling around the globe, I don't know where my day starts and where it ends.

Describe how you imagine your wedding?
- Glamour, richness and fairytale! I'll have people who'll organize everything.

What kind of wedding cake do you dream of?
- It has to be huge...Who knows where it'll be and with whom I'll be and how many people will be invited. In any case, it will look a lot like my birthday cake I had in Dubai. That one was gorgeous! Real attraction!

You wore a wedding dress for the first time. How does it feel like?
- I wasn't nervous. Every woman wants to get married some day. Anyways, I like elegant dresses that show off woman's figure. Wedding dresses are really beautiful. The feeling was a little weird in the beginning but later it felt interesting and wonderful.

How does the perfect man have to look so you would marry him?
- I'm almost 180cm tall. So, he has to be at least 190. That means - tall, dark and athletic, of course!

I'm not that tall! :sobbing:

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What about coaches and the rest of the team a tennis player usually travels around with? Aren't they allowed to stay in the village?
Coaches under some circumstances can, and sometimes officials. It depends on whether they're there for individuals or as a "team staffer" (and that designation doesn't have anything to do, really, with whether they work with an individual athlete or a team). But trainers, doctors, physios, etc? No.

Oh no! :sobbing: Lord, though, I can just see her shopping around bakeries with a picture of the Dubai cake. "I want it like this one." :lol:

Just Do It
Aug 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.b92.net/sport/peking2008/tenis/vesti.php?yyyy=2008&mm=08&dd=07&nav_id=312184

JJ ; I would rather win US OPEN.

Shortly : Jelena said she would pick US OPEN istead of Olympics, but would want to win both afterall :spit:

She will try to win a medal, and said She thinks Serbia can win gold medals. (ATP and WTA ) :yeah:

Brena
Aug 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Don't worry, Alex, I'll have you if you're over 160 cm :rolls:

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Um, is she gonna wear that blue nail polish at her wedding? Oh, hell, she probably will. :lol:

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Don't worry, Alex, I'll have you if you're over 160 cm :rolls:

:rolls:

Just Do It
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Jelena posed for wedding magazine ? :sobbing:

This girl is having 10 shootings a week.

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I can't friggin' wait to see those pictures, though. :lol:

~Kiera~
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKL726687720080807?sp=true

Jankovic getting greedy on return to fitness
Thu Aug 7, 2008

Martyn Herman

BEIJING (Reuters) - Serb Jelena Jankovic, fit again ahead of schedule following a knee injury, could be accused of getting a bit greedy.

The 23-year-old becomes the new world number one on Monday and hopes to add an Olympic gold medal five days later before turning her attention to the U.S. Open.

All this after injury threatened to ruin her season.

Following a shock fourth-round defeat at Wimbledon by Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn her physio told her the torn meniscus in her knee would keep her out for at least two months.

Three weeks later she was back on court and reached the semi-finals in Los Angeles. A quarter-final appearance in Montreal last week earned her enough points to dislodge fellow Serb Ana Ivanovic when the new list is published.

"I'm very proud that I'm becoming number one on Monday, despite having a really tough year with injuries so far and illness," Jankovic told reporters on Thursday after a practice session in stifling humidity at the Olympic Tennis Centre.

"It was my childhood dream to achieve the number one ranking. Finally I've joined that selection of great champions. There are only 18 who have made it number one, not many girls have done it in the history of tennis."

Despite her impending top ranking, Jankovic is yet to reach a grand slam final, losing in four semis. An Olympic gold would go some way to justifying her top spot although it is the U.S. title she really craves.

"To be honest I would like to win the U.S. Open more (than the Olympics) although I would love to win them both," she said.

"Both are quite special. I would love to win a medal. Winning a medal is pride for your country and a different feeling, you can't compare it to a grand slam."

With Ivanovic and Jankovic seeded one and two in the women's singles and Novak Djokovic number three in the men's, Serbian eyes will be focused on the tennis courts for medals.

Jankovic thinks a golden double is not out of the question.

"I think there is a chance," she said. "We will see how we compete next week and I hope for all the best for Serbia."

Jankovic faces Zimbabwe's Cara Black in the first round of the tournament which starts on Sunday.

~Kiera~
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12110_3944996,00.html#

Jankovic wins injury battle
Last updated: 7th August 2008

Incoming world number one delighted to win knee injury battle.

Jelena Jankovic says she is thrilled to have beaten a knee injury to make her Olympic debut at the Beijing tennis tournament.

The Serbian star was told nearly a month ago that she would need to take two months off away from the court to rest a knee problem.

Jankovic will usurp compatriot Ana Ivanovic as the new world number one during the Olympic tennis tournament, and she is thrilled to be competing at the Games.

After a fourth round Wimbledon defeat against Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn, Jankovic was told a knee cartilage problem could see her miss the Olympics and the US Open.

However, despite being restricted in her build-up to China, she will be in the competition and battling for Olympic gold.

"I feel great, I just practiced very hard," said Jankovic. "The conditions are quite tough but it's great to be here."

Concentrate

"I just want to concentrate on my game and try to keep improving.

"I hope to get on form as fast as possible because I was injured at Wimbledon. I've done a lot of rehab work on it and I'm just hoping to get back on form.

"I hope that every day it will get better and better.

"I was told I wouldn't play for a couple of months but I recovered in three weeks so I'm really happy."

Jankovic has been handed some help in the draw, as she faces the lowest-ranked player in the tournament - Zimbabwean Cara Black - in the first round, although she is taking nothing for granted.

"I'm just going to see how everything goes. I'm doing the right thing and not doing any activities with the knee," she added.

"I'm just doing some therapy and following the instructions from the doctors."

Jankovic has risen from third to first in the world rankings despite winning just one tournament this year as she has had some injuries and illness.

Although injuries to Maria Sharapova and the retirement of Justin Henin have helped her, she is still delighted to be top of the tree.

"I'm really proud that on August 11 I'll be number one. Despite a tough year where I've had a lot of injuries and sickness, it's a great achievement," she said.

"I feel great. I'm really happy. It was a childhood dream to achieve this ranking and finally I've joined a selection of great champions.

"I'm only the 18th player to make it to number one; not many have done that in history."

Grand Slam

Echoing previous comments from the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Jankovic admitted that if it came down to it, she would prefer to win a Grand Slam at the following US Open rather than the Olympics.

"To be honest I'd prefer to win the US Open but I would love to win both," she said.

"In the Olympic Games sometimes the federation doesn't select a player or sometimes some of the best players are not playing but in a Grand Slam everyone plays.

"There's 128 players, it's a big draw."

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
"I'm just going to see how everything goes. I'm doing the right thing and not doing any activities with the knee," she added.
Oh. You mean, other than playing elite professional level tennis matches on it?

"I'm just doing some therapy and following the instructions from the doctors."
Mmmmhmmmm.

Bruno71
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
She said that she was in the same plane with American baseball team and that gays were very nice to her!!! Jelena you :devil:

Now we know for a fact she doesn't read GM :rolleyes:

Kampi
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Thank you Sarah:wavey::worship::kiss:

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Someone posted an article in GM with USO predictions...
Jelena Jankovic has proven that she cannot at all handle the pressure of being #1 in the world, as she has squandered four easy opportunities at that spot. Though Jankovic has impeccable timing with her groundstrokes and is a good volleyer, she does not have the firepower on any shot to hurt any of the top women.

Additionally, opponents have grown used to Jankovic’s antics that used to rattle opponents during matches. The stalling between points, calling for a trainer just before an important service game for the opponent, moping around the court appearing ready to give up one point and fighting to the death the next, have grown old. More and more the luster has been removed from the learning to play in a swimming pool during a war Serbian players, in general, but particularly with Jankovic, who is quicker to conjure this image than her compatriots like Ivanovic, Jankop Tipsarevic, and Novak Djokavic (who does grate at his opponents’ nerves as well).

Right now Jelena has an equal chance of losing by the round of 16 as she does reaching the semifinals. And a player like that cannot last under the glare of New York.

Where did these hülye (stupid) journalist come from!
I'll just repeat the smiley I used in GM: http://smileyjungle.com/smilies/fighting2.gif

Optima
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
:o

Nina.
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Coaches under some circumstances can, and sometimes officials. It depends on whether they're there for individuals or as a "team staffer" (and that designation doesn't have anything to do, really, with whether they work with an individual athlete or a team). But trainers, doctors, physios, etc? No.

Okay, got it. Thanks. :wavey:

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
OMG JJ is gonna cause international scandal. And Serbian papers - :rolleyes:!

It seems that today's Sportski Zurnal had JJ's quote about how "Americans want to poison Serbian stars" and Serbian Tennis Association had to issue an official statement saying "JJ was misinterpreted". They said she was having an informal conversation with that lady you saw on photos (Serbian Minister of Sports) and that journalists built the story from fragments of their conversation. Apparently they were talking about how Serbian athletes need to have the best possible conditions in order to achieve the best results so in that context they mentioned the food as well.

:haha: Even if JJ said that she was surely joking and trying to make herself look important. Can't believe someone was stupid enough to publish that especially if she didn't even say that! :o

RFS
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Whaaaaaa?

redsonja
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Of all the many and varied bizarre things I have heard come out of her mouth, or put in her mouth, that is by far the oddest. :lol:

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Seriously she couldn't have possibly said that she heard Americans would put something in hers & Novak's food. Although, she does have a good record against WS! :lol:

I don't believe them. Maybe she talked about possible food poisoning when talking about Chinese specialties but this...No way!(?)

дalex
Aug 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Check this out: :eek:

http://deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/08/jankovic.jpg

http://deadspin.com/5034201/morning-blogdome-jelena-jankovic-has-trick-shots-out-the-wazoo
Jelena Jankovic Has Trick Shots Out The Wazoo

• Maybe this is why she has to change her underwear so often: No idea how the Serbian tennis powerhouse can pull this shot off, but it looks like she's going to be tough to beat in the Olympics.

http://www.downthelinetennis.com/2008/08/photo-op-jj-gives-tennis-ball-her-power.html

PHOTO OP: JJ gives her best power shot - or so it seems

So Rafael Nadal was spotted performing his best "deep throat" with the tennis ball the other day during practice. Fine.

But Jelena Jankovic seems to have found a completely new use for the balls in Beijing and I'm not even sure that's legal.

What the hell is going on her people? Do tell!

schorsch
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Jankop Tipsarevic, and Novak Djokavic ? never heard of them...

jealous pricks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Protic
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:21 AM
It seems that today's Sportski Zurnal had JJ's quote about how "Americans want to poison Serbian stars" and Serbian Tennis Association had to issue an official statement saying "JJ was misinterpreted".

The story was published in both Politika (http://www.politika.co.yu/rubrike/sport-aktuelno/Olimpijske-igre-Peking/CHula-sam-da-Amerikanci-zele-da-otruju-Dokovica-CHavica-i-mene.sr.html) and Sportski Zurnal.
It appears that after talking to journalists at the airport, Jelena
and Snezana (Chief of Serbian Olympic team) proceeded to the elevator,
and Politika's reporter, Aleksandar Miletic, followed them there looking
for additional juice. Jelena was more than willing to accomodate him and
jokingly said:

I've heard that Americans are intending to poison Djokovic,
Cavic, and me in the Olympic village. Supposedly, the plan is to put
something in our food. Is there a talk about it going around?

The article then states that she was laughing while saying that,
but headlines ended up being: JELENA: AMERICANS WANT TO
POISON US (Zurnal) and I'VE HEARD THAT AMERICANS WANT
TO POISON DJOKOVIC, CAVIC AND ME (Politika).

Aleksandar Miletic is a basketball reporter (incidentally, in Beijing, Serbia
is not being represented in basketball). He was either incapable to sense
a joke, or outright malicious towards her, or is just universally disoriented.
He can be contacted at: aleksandar.miletic@politika.co.yu
or sashajournalist@yahoo.com.

----------------------------

Way more important than this episode is the fact that Jelena's intercontinental
meniscus tear rehabilitation is going fine. :lol:

schorsch
Aug 8th, 2008, 02:37 AM
idiot :lol:

дalex
Aug 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Oh no! :bigcry:
JJ will miss the opening ceremony because she got an injury practicing this morning!
In the statement passed to the media it says it's a minor injury but she decided to skip the opening ceremony.
Whyyyyy? I wanted to see her there.

http://www.mtsmondo.com/peking2008/text.php?vest=105701

RFS
Aug 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Oh well that really sucks... but then I guess she's been to one before, and the BBC were saying that loads of the Brit team are giving it a miss because of the heat and humidity...

Injury in practice... pffft

Just Do It
Aug 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
She will miss Ceremony ? OMG I so wanted to see her :sobbing:

That is like the best part of the Olympics, cant believe Jelena agreed on that, she has to be there :(

дalex
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I understand her decision...She would have to be there for 5 hours! But I wanted to see her, dammit! Hope she'll be ready to play at least.

maya-serbia
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
OOOoooohhhh sh*t...injury...again?? :help:

schorsch
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
i rather think "injury" .... due to ESO.

Kampi
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Anyway, this SUCKS BIG:sad:

redsonja
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I am so sad for her, I can't imagine being there and not marching in Opening Ceremonies.

On the other hand, that is a decision that smacks of practicality. Are you sure they meant Jelena? :p

Cat123
Aug 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
:lol: Bless her. I'm impressed she listened to reason though, it seems we don't give her enough credit sometimes. The Jelena of old would probably have insisted on hobbling round whatever the cost.

Tashi
Aug 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Not so fast with the credit Cat. She did apparently walk. http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/2008/08/breaking-news-1.html#comments

дalex
Aug 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
If we all watched the same broadcast I don't think anyone saw JJ. Maybe it was some other girl that looked like JJ. I definitely didn't see her. Maybe it will appear on YT so we can watch more carefully at those 10secs of Serbian team. :lol:
But I don't think she was there.

Edit. Found the clip. No JJ, but I'm not sure who's that on Ana's right side. Nole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2r36_49BsM

maya-serbia
Aug 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
If we all watched the same broadcast I don't think anyone saw JJ. Maybe it was some other girl that looked like JJ. I definitely didn't see her. Maybe it will appear on YT so we can watch more carefully at those 10secs of Serbian team. :lol:
But I don't think she was there.

Edit. Found the clip. No JJ, but I'm not sure who's that on Ana's right side. Nole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2r36_49BsM

Yes,it's Nole ;)

barboza
Aug 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM

The gays??:lol: How does she know they're gays? And when did she say this?

дalex
Aug 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
:lol: Dawn meant to say GUYS...she just wrote it wrong. After arriving to Beijing JJ said she was traveling with USA baseball team and that the gUys were very nice and that they wanted to take pictures with her.

redsonja
Aug 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Not so fast with the credit Cat. She did apparently walk. http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/2008/08/breaking-news-1.html#comments

After watching the NBC broadcast, I really don't think she was there. It wouldn't make any sense that they would mention her and Ana and Novak and then show Ana and Novak, but not her.

I did see Nenad in the NBC coverage, though. :)

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM
JJ not sure whether she'll play at all. :hysteric:
http://www.mtsmondo.com/sport/vesti/text.php?vest=105815

"I'll practice today and we'll see how it goes", said Jelena at the press conference to which she showed up with a taped right leg.

"If I'm not ready to give my all on the court then I won't play at all. I don't want to risk anything", added Jelena

:sad:

Kampi
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
JJ not sure whether she'll play at all. :hysteric:
http://www.mtsmondo.com/sport/vesti/text.php?vest=105815

That would SUCK even more, but it would perfectly fit in this injury filled season.:rolleyes: :o Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for our girl.

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/08/09/jankovic.decision.ap/

Tennis: Ailing Jankovic may pull out

BEIJING (AP) -- While the No. 1 ranking is a certainty for Jelena Jankovic, her opening match at the Olympics is in doubt.

The Serbian said a sore right calf may prevent her from taking the court Sunday against Cara Black of Zimbabwe.

Regardless of whether Jankovic plays, she's assured of climbing from No. 2 to No. 1 in the new rankings Monday. She'll move ahead of another Serb, Ana Ivanovic, who has led the rankings since winning the French Open in June.

"Hopefully I will somehow be healthy and ready to play my best tennis," Jankovic said Saturday. "I don't know. I will see Sunday how everything will go. If I will not be able to do my best on the court, I will not go. I will not risk that."

Jankovic said the sore calf has forced her to curtail her practice routine. She said the injury stemmed from a torn meniscus in her left knee that bothered her at Wimbledon, where she lost in the fourth round.

"Because I had an injury on my left knee, my right leg was working so much harder," she said. "It was compensating. I was forcing the other muscles to work harder.

"I'm not in the best shape in the moment."

Why was your right leg compensating if your left leg was fine, babe!?
Oh, JJ...:hug:
I don't think she'll play. She usually plays no matter what but this time she sounds different. :shrug:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Put your right leg in, your right leg out, in, out, in, out, shake it all about...then you'll be fiiiine JJ! :lol:

louisa.
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
:lol: if only!
i do hope she plays... :sad: its the olympics JJ!

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
http://cn.reuters.com/article/olympicsNews/idCNL928584920080809
Olympics-Tennis-Jankovic may withdraw with calf strain

BEIJING, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Serb Jelena Jankovic said on Saturday she may have to withdraw from the Olympic tennis event after injuring her right calf muscle.

"I don't know (if I'll be able to play)," she told reporters before going out to the practise courts. "I will hit a few balls later and see how it feels."

The second seed, who will top the WTA rankings on Monday for the first time, did not practise on Friday after hurting her calf the previous day.

"It feels better than yesterday but if I'm not able to give my best tomorrow, I won't play. Because of the injury to my left leg, my right leg is now working harder and compensating and now I have a calf problem," she said.

Jankovic made a quick return to the Tour after tearing a meniscus in her left knee at Wimbledon this year. She is scheduled to play her singles first round against Zimbabwe's Cara Black on Sunday.

Here they say she is scheduled to play tomorrow. It would be better if she's playing on Monday like we thought she would.

RFS
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
@ alex... It's not uncommon for one side to protect another side of the body and compensate for an injury (thus leading to new ones)...

I'm just astounded that she's now saying "I won't risk it"... are we sure that's OUR Jelena they're talking about? Miss "yeah - I've torn my meniscus but I'll go out anyway" Jankovic?

It's been a hard lesson for her to learn all year (well even as far back as post Wimbledon last year)... but she is learning... :hug:

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM
@ alex... It's not uncommon for one side to protect another side of the body and compensate for an injury (thus leading to new ones)...

I know that, but she was saying her left leg is pain-free in both LA and Montreal. That would mean she was healthy and that her left leg is OK, meaning no need for any new compensatory injuries, no? :lol:
I'm in my hater mode at the moment. I hate that she even played if she wasn't ready to play, that's all. She can say all the right things for all I care, but if she's not acting accordingly then it's just bullshit. If she skips Olympics or plays but loses early due to an injury then I think USO will be another Wimbledon, at best. :shrug:
That makes me sad and angry at the same time.

RFS
Aug 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I know that, but she was saying her left leg is pain-free in both LA and Montreal. That would mean she was healthy and that her left leg is OK, meaning no need for any new compensatory injuries, no? :lol:
I'm in my hater mode at the moment. I hate that she even played if she wasn't ready to play, that's all. She can say all the right things for all I care, but if she's not acting accordingly then it's just bullshit. If she skips Olympics or plays but loses early due to an injury then I think USO will be another Wimbledon, at best. :shrug:

Agree - feel sad too... but this is also her career we're considering here.

What confuses me ... is whether she's playing tomorrow, or she means she's practicing tomorrow and will make her decision then.
I've changed the pick back to "on the day before the match" as I really don't feel 100% confident on the schedule info now...

Wayn77
Aug 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm hoping JJ has some good advice around her, see's sense and pulls out immediately. Pick up the pieces of what remains of her fitness issues and get ready for USO.

So frustrating these catalogue of injuries. I guess that's what made much of 2007 fun, Jelena was relatively injury free (from memory only the ankle-twist in Doha).

Kampi
Aug 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm hoping JJ has some good advice around her, see's sense and pulls out immediately. Pick up the pieces of what remains of her fitness issues and get ready for USO.

So frustrating these catalogue of injuries. I guess that's what made much of 2007 fun, Jelena was relatively injury free (from memory only the ankle-twist in Doha).

This year is really a very mixed bag. All these annoying injuries, but despite the fact she will be able to enter the highest possible ranking position next week. I really don't know what to think about this.:lol::help::sad::worship: Hahaha, indeed a mixed bag, right.

louisa.
Aug 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
she's scheduled to play the last match of the day i think.
fingers crossed.

Optima
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Wiiithhhdrawwwww!

If she plays and injures herself even more/acts like she's dying out there/only gives more drama for GM to bitch about, I'll be royally pissed :lol:

redsonja
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I would just be relieved for her to finally, finally learn this lesson. If your doctors tell you to take two months off, you take two months off. I mean, come on. It is not a death knell for your career to let yourself recover from an injury, Jelena. :rolleyes:

ce
Aug 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
i am so destroyed right now
its not fair

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
OMG why is JJ always a source for speculations...
Mondo added this to their article:

Because of JJ's possible withdrawal there's some mild panic in Serbian staff. Our officials are worried that if JJ withdraws the way organizers treat Serbian team might change, even if at this point we don't know why would that really happen.

"Jelena can't pull out until our team's doctor sees her, and organizer's medical team as well. That's the rule that needs to be followed", said one of the Serbian officials who wanted to remain anonymous.

Now the real question is whether the injury is the reason for JJ's possible withdrawal or maybe something else. In any case it's not good news that Serbia might lose one of its favourites for winning the medal.

:weirdo: What does THAT mean, FFS!?

Here's what Serbian doctor had to say...
http://www.rts.co.yu/page/sport/ci/peking2008.html?view=story&id=10309&sectionId=190

Decision about Jelena will be made tomorrow

Official doctor of Serbian Olympic team said that it's too early to say whether JJ will be able to compete in OG.

"We'll see. For the time being everything is going in the right direction. Tomorrow we'll have a medical exam and then we'll make a decision. The strain she got is a result of the surface change. She has pain in the calf, but she's feeling much better after the therapy", said doctor Radovanovic for Beta news agency.

He said that now it's too early for a decision to be made.

"She has some activities with UNICEF tonight and when she comes back she'll have a practice. Then I'll have a look at her injury and we'll have a talk. I also know she planned a practice for tomorrow as well."

RFS
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Surface change... from.... ummm... hard-court... to... hard-court?

At least she's responding a little to treatment... but...

terjw
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
When Jelena said she had to pull out the Opening ceremony - I always thought it was a serious injury. Whether we are talking about the new or old Jelena - she just doesn't pull out of something like that unless it's really serious.

I dunno. I just hope now she doesn't play. It would give her the best chance for the USO. And everything is against her - the heat, the pollution and now this injury.

But even the new Jelena - we are talking about Olympics here - she will decide as late as she can. I don't think she's given up hope yet. And if there's a chance - I'm sure she'll play. I can't see her rationalising "It will be better for my USO hopes if I don't play".

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Good that she's able to work for UNICEF while I'm worrying here. :lol:

Surface change my ass! :lol:
And who is this bloody official and why is he providing reasons for all kinds of speculations!? :o

RFS
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Good that she's able to work for UNICEF while I'm worrying here. :lol:

Surface change my ass! :lol:
And who is this bloody official and why is he providing reasons for all kinds of speculations!? :o

yeah - the whole "wishes to remain anonymous" thing sounds a bit suspect to me...

Dra-MA!

~Kiera~
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
What they probably mean by "anonymous" is "we made this crap up and have no actual source to rely on."

Kampi
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM
God, what a confusion.:help::lol:

redsonja
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I love how they're making it sound like she can't withdraw unless the Serbian doctors give her permission. Ermmmm....

RFS
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
It's the bit about the organisers treating the Serbian team differently that I don't get... but then - it takes us right back to Alex's "who is this bloody official" and Sarah's "we make this crap up"... :lol:

redsonja
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
It's the bit about the organisers treating the Serbian team differently that I don't get... but then - it takes us right back to Alex's "who is this bloody official" and Sarah's "we make this crap up"... :lol:

Yeah, that part was completely bizarre. I mean, are they afraid that if she withdraws and leaves, she'll pack up the Serbian team's allotment of free nail treatments and take them with her? :lol:

RFS
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, that part was completely bizarre. I mean, are they afraid that if she withdraws and leaves, she'll pack up the Serbian team's allotment of free nail treatments and take them with her? :lol:

Totally... "right Serbia - you all have to house your team in the parking lot (mwah ha haaaa) and the people you were sharing a block with get all the cool apartments!"

becky.really
Aug 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Personally I think that she has been pregnant for about three years, which explains her tendancy to get injured/ill/tired.

CuteKoala
Aug 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't think she's injured. :scratch:
I believe that somebody has threatened Jelena with violence. :tape: This might be the real reason why Jelena did not attend the opening ceremony. She is probably scared to death. She is afraid that somebody will make an attempt on her life if she takes part in the tournament. :unsure:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez...............:silly: :silly:

~Kiera~
Aug 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I know the real reason. My imaginary source has informed me that she chipped a nail in practice and can't bring herself to be shown on TV without perfectly lacquered nails. Can she fit in a manicure before the match tomorrow? It's a race against the clock :eek:

redsonja
Aug 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I know the real reason. My imaginary source has informed me that she chipped a nail in practice and can't bring herself to be shown on TV without perfectly lacquered nails. Can she fit in a manicure before the match tomorrow? It's a race against the clock :eek:

This shows such irresponsibility on the part of the Serbian team handlers. Didn't they bring a manicurist for just this kind of emergency? :shrug:

Wayn77
Aug 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
This latest scoop is more serious than I could ever imagine.

No way can Jelena play her best tennis, if her nail is chipped.

~Kiera~
Aug 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
This shows such irresponsibility on the part of the Serbian team handlers. Didn't they bring a manicurist for just this kind of emergency? :shrug:

My source says they didn't. How could they fail to foresee the importance of having such a person around? It defies belief. I can only hope they have a make-up artist on hand. In such humid conditions, foundation and mascara will need reapplying regularly.

Michael27
Aug 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
All these comments regarding JJ are simply :haha::haha:.

I think you will find she had to take an emergency flight back to Serbia to fix her nail.:lol:

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry, but if her nail is still chipped tomorrow I don't want her to play. No no! I like my JJ to be with nails and hair and make-up all in perfect condition. Ktnxbye. :kiss:

becky.really
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
my imaginary source - who is contracted to the news of the world - can confirm all these rumours, and also adds that several athletes have handed in a petition to the chinese president, asking for JJ to be allowed a full team of specialists courtside. Bob Geldof has also confirmed that he will be organising a concert to raise funds and awareness to help solve her problem.

Ian Aberdon
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM
If you try to play a BDtL with a chipped nail, the ball goes 10yds wide of the sideline, so I understand her concern. :lol:

becky.really
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM
i am seriously re-thinking your gender rich!

Ian Aberdon
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm still the same last time I looked!! :eek:

becky.really
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM
lol, but with perfectly manicured and painted nails.

i am in SUCH a wierd mood

дalex
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Oh Becky, that's great news! I wonder if Ana was among those athletes trying to help JJ? She's too nice to not help her and let's not forget she has some finger issues as well. Maybe that's why JJ went to UNICEF headquarters in Beijing.

~Kiera~
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I can exclusively reveal a scan of tomorrow's News of the World's front page

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/2006/newspaper2pz2.jpg

Credit to Becky's imaginary source.

Ian Aberdon
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:08 PM
:haha:

~Kiera~
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Oh Becky, that's great news! I wonder if Ana was among those athletes trying to help JJ? She's too nice to not help her and let's not forget she has some finger issues as well. Maybe that's why JJ went to UNICEF headquarters in Beijing.

Unfortunately, Ana's too busy at the moment trying to avoid Nole (http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKL934131220080809) so she can flirt some more with Rafa (http://sport.iafrica.com/beijing2008/news/1070542.htm), but she says she is very exciting and hopes to help out soon.

redsonja
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Crap, this sounds oddly familiar...
Ivanovic has suffered a slump in from since winning the French Open and is taking nothing for granted against first round opponent Mariya Koryttseva of Ukraine.

"I don't know much about her, we never played so I just want to try to find my feet for my first match and try to perform the best I can," she said.

Maybe they're hanging out too much. :p

Bruno71
Aug 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I have to admit when I read the headline this morning that JJ might not risk playing...the first thing that popped into my head was "who's she mad at?" Seriously...this is the JJ that would play barefoot on hot coals for her country. Maybe someone pissed her off? :scratch:

redsonja
Aug 10th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I have to admit when I read the headline this morning that JJ might not risk playing...the first thing that popped into my head was "who's she mad at?" Seriously...this is the JJ that would play barefoot on hot coals for her country. Maybe someone pissed her off? :scratch:

What with Ana's "I don't know her and I'm just hoping to play my game" quote re: Koryttseva, I'm thinking it's not so serious, she and JJ are just having a Freaky Friday moment.

louisa.
Aug 10th, 2008, 04:11 AM

that's exactly my thought. she would do anything to represent her country. i just can't see her pulling out. :sad:

schorsch
Aug 10th, 2008, 04:28 AM
maybe she wants to confuse cara black, because she knows its gonna bit a match with heaps of slices and netrushing. and she's like : oh no, why do i always get those different kind of tennis players. first niculescu and now black. blah.

hhihhihihih

redsonja
Aug 10th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Women's Field Deep in Beijing (http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/8431670/Women|s-field-deep-in-Beijing?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=199)

Analysis by Nadia Petrova. :D

JANKOVIC: Petrova is a bit more impressed by Jankovic, who just became the first player in Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history to reach No. 1 without playing in a Grand Slam final. But she says that Jankovic's success is based more on her personal happiness than it is on pure ball striking.

"Jelena is very consistent and whenever she's playing she's going for every shot," said Petrova, who lost to Jankovic in L.A. "She's very focused from the baseline and she picks the right moments to go for her shots. As long as she's having fun, she's dangerous, but when she's kind of getting bored then it doesn't work anymore."

:lol:

Tashi
Aug 10th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Spot on Nadia, spot.fucking.on.:lol:

schorsch
Aug 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
lol petrova is so funny :lol:

Wayn77
Aug 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
:lol: :lol:

getting bored and it doesn't work anymore .... Petrova is on the money with that one methinks.

Wayn77
Aug 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
haha brilliant :haha:

I can exclusively reveal a scan of tomorrow's News of the World's front page

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/2006/newspaper2pz2.jpg

Credit to Becky's imaginary source.

дalex
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM
:rolls: Love you Nadia! That's the first time I hear someone is "a bit more impressed" by JJ than Ana. It made my morning. That and the fact JJ hasn't pulled out yet. Waiting for the rain to stop? Yesterday I was watching CNN weather and they said that they expected to start raining on Sunday late night Beijing time and that Monday might be wash out. They were a bit off.

Ian Aberdon
Aug 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
It's some rain! :eek:

RFS
Aug 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
ARF! Sue Barker saying she'll never again complain about the rain at Wimbledon!
AND - Arf! at the plush Ling-Long broadcaster boothes leaking in the torrential rain!

дalex
Aug 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.mondo.rs/peking2008/text.php?vest=105942

Finally some good news: Jelena will play!

Jelena Jankovic will definitely take part in Olympic Games.

Despite the leg injury, Jelena will go on court to play against Cara Black of Zimbabwe, doctor Radovanovic confirmed the news to Serbian reporters in Beijing.

Jankovic, officially the best tennis player in the world as off Monday, spent the last two days undergoing therapies and will have another medical treatment just before her 1st round match. According to doctor Radovanovic she'll be ready to play.

Unlike Jelena, Ana wasn't able to recover and had to withdraw from the competition.

:haha: O-M-G, Jelena.
I bet everyone but me expected this. I feel stupid now!
And why wasn't RTS showing JJ for the last few days then, we saw everyone's interview but hers. I thought the girl was depressed because she will for sure pull out.

Ian Aberdon
Aug 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Interesting news. I hope no pressure has been brought to bear on JJ with Ana having to pull out.

Gabee89
Aug 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.mondo.rs/peking2008/text.php?vest=105942

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees:hearts:
I thought, that she could't play tomorrow, but she will :)
I'm really happy now :D

Bruno71
Aug 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
:haha: O-M-G, Jelena.
I bet everyone but me expected this. I feel stupid now!
And why wasn't RTS showing JJ for the last few days then, we saw everyone's interview but hers. I thought the girl was depressed because she will for sure pull out.

I really have a strong feeling there was a lot going on behind the scenes involving JJ, Ana & their injuries. The whole thing just seems like some weird competition over who'll actually go ahead and play for Serbia after flying half the world.

redsonja
Aug 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I really have a strong feeling there was a lot going on behind the scenes involving JJ, Ana & their injuries. The whole thing just seems like some weird competition over who'll actually go ahead and play for Serbia after flying half the world.

ITA. The whole thing has a very bizarre tinge to it.

Ian Aberdon
Aug 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
D'ya think they tossed a coin for it...heads I play, tails you pull out! :lol:

RFS
Aug 10th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Although... could anyone have forseen JJ straining a calf muscle and having to miss the Opening Ceremony? Hmm - I suppose one could argue "yes" given the round the clock injury-fest our girl is going through... conpensatory twinges/pulls were probably inevitable...

Obviously the organisers are gonna come down like a ton of bricks now on the National Team delegations (i.e. stipulating that all withdrawals are backed up with a medical statement)... Although it does bug me more is/was made of JJ's need for a med assessment/decision/statement... Obviously they needed the same for Ana.

Will we ever find out, I wonder... Suspect JJ is gonna be quite candid in any presser where she gets asked about it...

дalex
Aug 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM

I'm not sure what all this is about, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't competition between Ana & JJ. I'm thinking that both Ana & JJ wanted to play and that Serbian Olympic Committee *really* wanted them to play since there are no substitutes. Ana tried her best but she can't play. JJ will try to play and we'll see how far she'll go. But yeah, everything is a bit weird. To me the strangest thing is that there are no stories about JJ from the Village. Nothing! Come on, it's JJ, she's gotta be doing something, flirting with someone, doing some promos, looking for cameras...Today's show is about to start, let's see if there's anything about her. :shrug:
It's almost like she's not even there.

edit. OK, they've just said they talked to her today while she was waiting for her match to start. Tell you all about it later.

дalex
Aug 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
OK, they've just said they talked to her today while she was waiting for her match to start. Tell you all about it later.

Uhmm, either:
(a) they didn't show it for whatever reason,
(b) I'm suffering with ADD and missed it completely,
(c) I'm just hearing things and they didn't even plan to show any interview with JJ.

:shrug:

~Kiera~
Aug 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
As a JJ fan, option (b) seems the most likely ;)

ome on, it's JJ, she's gotta be doing something, flirting with someone, doing some promos, looking for cameras...

Bruno71
Aug 11th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Yes, I think (b) as well.

What I was getting at wasn't a direct conflict between Ana & JJ, but I just got the feeling somehow JJ felt like she wasn't getting treated right by someone somewhere...just an instinct...not Ana but maybe the Serbian group. Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

redsonja
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm actually more inclined to believe that either her Federation or her National Olympic Committee went a little bonkers on her once it became clear that Ana would probably have to withdraw. (Although, I guess this is actually sort of agreeing with you, Bruno, since in that position I would certainly think someone wasn't treating me right. :lol: )

If the Chinese organizers were getting pissy about all the tennis withdrawls, and then Jelena started making noise about being injured, I can very well see how the federation and NOC would lean on her about it-- notice that there haven't been any quotes from her saying she's fine to play, only from the Serbian team officials. I dunno, my instinct when things seem wacky at the Olympics is always to look at the Federation/NOC first. Those people lose their minds when the Big O actually rolls around. :lol: :bolt:

~Kiera~
Aug 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Someone clearly didn't get to see her play :tape:

http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/news/gamewatch.asp?articleid=19110

10.47pm: Easy win for Jelena Jankovic against Cara Black of Zimbabwe 63 63. She’s gotta really fancy her chances of gold now with Ana Ivanovic gone home injured and Svetlana Kuznetsova knocked out earlier by Li Na.

redsonja
Aug 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Someone clearly didn't get to see her play :tape:

http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/news/gamewatch.asp?articleid=19110

And also has clearly not seen Dinara play lately. :lol:

дalex
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
:lol: Just seen her statement for RTS after the match.

She said she's really feeling the pain in the calf and that she'll see if she'll be able to play tomorrow. If I understood our reporter right, she's scheduled to play at 11.00cet (5pm local time).
She really didn't look good, biting her lip, sad, almost apologetic... :hug:
Hopefully she'll pull out or miraculously recover over night. :lol:

~Kiera~
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
She'll be playing tomorrow then :lol:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jg1F_csxTgYdBmqo5jJZAv56VI9A

New number one Jankovic dressed for success
24 minutes ago

BEIJING (AFP) — Serbia's Jelena Jankovic celebrated her new number one ranking with an Olympic win on Monday but warned injury could yet wreck her campaign.

The 23-year-old from Belgrade, who took over the top spot from compatriot, and French Open champion Ana Ivanovic, was still touch-and-go with a calf problem after beating Zimbabwe's Cara Black 6-3, 6-3 in round one.

"It's quite special to be playing as number one and I was quite excited about that," she said.

"I had some problems but I managed to finish the match. I will see what the doctors say and receive some treatment and see how I will feel for tomorrow."

Jankovic reached the top ranking despite having never won a Grand Slam and claiming only one title this season.

She is the third women's number one since Justine Henin's shock retirement in May.

Jankovic donned a specially designed red dress for the occasion featuring a laurel wreath design.

"It's a special dress for the Olympics. So it's quite cool. I received a lot of compliments from the girls and from the people around here," she said.

"It's a little bit different to what I used to wear. But you get so wet from sweating. That's not so nice -- too much humidity!"

The Serbian, who has won six tournaments in her career, reached the top of the rankings after a 12-month display of consistently successful results.

Over the past year, Jankovic has won the Tier I title in Rome, reached finals at Toronto (2007), Beijing (2007) and Miami (2008) and six semifinals, including two of the three Grand Slams so far this year (Australian Open, Roland Garros).

She is slated to face Ukraine's Alona Bondarenko in the second round.

redsonja
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
She is the third women's number one since Justine Henin's shock retirement in May.
It does sound a bit like what happens after the lifetime dictator of a country with a history of messy civil conflict dies, doesn't it?

Jankovic donned a specially designed red dress for the occasion featuring a laurel wreath design.
So that's what that was. I dunno, I think that dress is pretty ugly. :lol: The skirt's attached at a weird place and that plus the wreath/white pinafore effect makes her look vaguely like she's wearing mod lederhosen.

дalex
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
"It's quite special to be playing as number one and I was quite excited about that," she said.

Well, you just keep on playing, you mad mad woman! :rolls:
You have one week only to enjoy it this time around.

"I had some problems but I managed to finish the match."

This is not what she said for RTS. She was all "I was dying for my country, played with so much pain. I finished this match but I don't know if I'll play tomorrow. If I decide to play it will be only out of love for SERBIA." [* bolded part is added by Alex :p]

So that's what that dress is about? [had to check the meaning of laurel wreath as well :tape:] It's really nice dress and no wonder she recieved compliments.

Kampi
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Taken from the WTA site

Newsroom
August 11, 2008

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/jankovic_08olympics_practice_200.jpg
© Getty Images

Ranking Watch: Welcome, New No.1

A new No.1 and two more Top 10 reshuffles boost Jelena Jankovic, Serena Williams and Dinara Safina up the rankings; meanwhile a Top 100 debut offers a big break for an up-and-coming Russian.
Jelena Jankovic (SRB) No.2 to No.1
Jankovic has become the 18th player - and second Serb - to rise to No.1. After a phenomenally consistent past 12 months, the 23-year-old has taken Ana Ivanovic's place at the top of the leaderboard, knocking her compatriot down to second spot after nine weeks at No.1. Jankovic needs to win a gold or silver medal in Beijing in order to stay No.1 next week, on August 18, 2008.
Serena Williams (USA) No.5 to No.4
Switching spots with Maria Sharapova, the former No.1 moves back into the Top 4 for the first time since the 2005 Wimbledon fortnight over three years ago.
Dinara Safina (RUS) No.7 to No.6
A new career-high for the Russian, as she switches spots with Elena Dementieva; having never been higher than No.9, she has moved up to No.6 in the last three weeks (to No.8 after Los Angeles, No.7 after Montréal and now No.6).
Anna Lapushchenkova (RUS) No.116 to No.95
Career Top 100 debut for the 21-year-old; another Russian makes waves by cracking the Top 100 after taking her first ITF Circuit singles title of the year (sixth in her career) at $75,000 ITF/Moscow 3-RUS; there are 18 Russians in the Top 100 this week, more than any other nation.

~Kiera~
Aug 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Markus.

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldOfSport/idINIndia-34953620080811

BEIJING (Reuters) - Jelena Jankovic celebrated becoming number one in the world on Monday although injury threatens to wreck her Olympic hopes.

The Serb, seeded two here, officially overtook compatriot Ana Ivanovic in the rankings before going out to beat Cara Black of Zimbabwe 6-3 6-3 despite nursing a calf injury.

"It's quite special to be playing the first day as the number one officially, I was quite excited about that," Jankovic told reporters.

"But I had some problems. (The calf) was quite swollen during the match. But I managed to finish, that's the important thing. I will see what the doctors say and see how I feel for tomorrow.

"It's hard when you have some pain and when you're thinking about the calf, you can't really give 100 percent. This is now my biggest opponent, my biggest problem."

If fit, Jankovic will play Alona Bondarenko in the second round when she will again wear a red dress designed especially for the Olympics.

"I thought it's a cool idea," she said. "The only problem is I'm sweating in it so much because of the humidity."

redsonja
Aug 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
"I thought it's a cool idea," she said. "The only problem is I'm sweating in it so much because of the humidity."
At least the dress hides it well; by about 3/4s of the way through the first set, Cara had sweat so much that you could see the outline of her bra on her shirt because it was a completely different colour.

Then again, at one point Jelena sat down on a changeover and wrung her ponytail out. :eek: If it was like that at 9:30 pm, no wonder Dinara looked like she wanted to kill someone at noon. :p

louisa.
Aug 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Then again, at one point Jelena sat down on a changeover and wrung her ponytail out. :eek:

oh wow. i had no idea beijing weather could get that bad.. :eek:

Ian Aberdon
Aug 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Given the heat & humidity (& the smog), you have to wonder if Beijing was a suitable venue for the Olympics? The IOC decision sure wasn't with the athletes in mind...

RFS
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
whereas in London - they'll just have a little smog and they'll just drown in rain?

дalex
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Jelena will play!
http://www.mtsmondo.com/sport/vesti/text.php?vest=106115

Judging by the latest informations Jelena had a medical treatment and is feeling much better.

"Jelena was in a therapy until 1am and now her R2 play is not in question anymore", said the Serbian FC coach Dejan Vranes.

I swear, if any JJ fan starts another thread in GM about her possible withdrawal after today's match - he/she is getting a bad rep from me.

RFS
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I wonder how she's feeling if they have indeed brought her forward to the early evening session.

I keep checking interactive to see if she's up next... I think the new schedule is the right one, because I saw that BBCi had Venus (who was 2nd match on the morning session) and by the time I'd gotten myself out of bed, it was all over!

дalex
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah RTS announced it will show it at 11.00 cet. Is the previous match on that court finished?

RFS
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah RTS announced it will show it at 11.00 cet. Is the previous match on that court finished?
JJ kicks off the early evening session - they finished all play around 3pm according to the ITF website - some long match with Nick Keifer, but I don't think he was on Centre.

Something on the BBC ticker - the organisers are hiring extras to make up the numbers in auditoriums after lots of criticism about empty seats...

Ian Aberdon
Aug 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I say hold the 2012 'Lympics in Milton Keynes! :lol:

дalex
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.b92.net/sport/peking2008/tenis/vesti.php?yyyy=2008&mm=08&dd=12&nav_id=313050

Jelena Jankovic is pleased with her victory over Ukrainian Alona Bondarenko and reaching the last 16 of the Olympic tennis tournament, but she still had to fight the injury in doing so. "Like yesterday, against Cara Black, the injury was my biggest opponent. My leg still hurts, so in some moments of the match I was thinking more about how I should move than how to win the point", said the #1 player in the world.

Jankovic said that she was fighting for every point today and that she had to work very hard to win.

"Nonetheless, I'm satisfied cos I played better than yesterday. I think I'll be more stable and more sure of my shots on Wednesday. I'll need to play much better because my next opponent is a tough one", Jelena said.

JJ reminded the reporters that Dominika Cibulkova, her next opponent, is a fighter and "tricky" opposition.

"She moves very well and she can play long matches. I saw that last year in Kosice. The most important thing is that I get better (injury wise)", added Jelena.

~Kiera~
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Alex.

Where's the whole "I nearly died on court for my country. I don't know whether I will be able to play. I need to consult my doctors first (so I can ignore their advice) I need lots of treatments first" speech?

Jelena, you disappoint me :sobbing:

дalex
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Jelena, you disappoint me :sobbing:

We'll see if it will disappoint the haters as well. I just posted that in GM. :devil:

~Kiera~
Aug 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
http://www.unicef.org/media/media_45163.html

UNICEF "Champions for Children" gala brings stars together to support children's causes

BEIJING, 12 August 2008 – With the world’s attention focusing on the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, UNICEF China hosted a “Champions for Children” reception on 9 August to advocate for the most vulnerable children in China, including those affected by the Sichuan earthquake and by HIV/AIDS, and to express appreciation for the support of partners, supporters, and friends.

“After a brilliantly successful and glittering start to the Games last night, what better way to emphasize the Olympic ideals of sports, participation, and non-discrimination, than to use the Olympic week as an occasion to advocate for the most vulnerable children in China,“ Dr. Yin Yin Nwe, UNICEF China Representative.

Mr. Yi Xiaozhun, Vice-Minister of Commerce, expressed warm appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding work in China as well as for the disaster relief response during the recent Sichuan earthquake emergency.

“UNICEF has greatly contributed to the cause of children in China. It was the first international organization to provide aid to the quake zone after the massive Sichuan tragedy. UNICEF’s emergency relief efforts have made a visible difference in the lives of people,” said Vice-Minister Yi.

Prior to the earthquake, UNICEF had been working in Sichuan and other areas of western China enabling UNICEF to rapidly mobilize its resources and respond immediately when the earthquake struck. So far UNICEF has provided around $US 10 million of assistance to earthquake-affected children.

At the reception, Dr. Nwe presented tokens of appreciation to the Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF, Audi China, IKEA China, Porsche China, Starwood Hotels and Volkswagen China for their support to UNICEF to help the most vulnerable children in China.

Continued support for earthquake-affected children

The star-studded event brought together high-level representatives of the Government of China, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors Jackie Chan, Lang Lang, and Jelena Jankovic, many Chinese celebrities and other friends and supporters of UNICEF to advocate for children affected by the Sichuan earthquake, children affected by HIV/AIDS, and girls’ equality.

One of the highlights of the evening was the presentation of a short film documenting UNICEF’s and the Ministry of Commerce’s support to the earthquake-affected children of Sichuan.

UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and world-renowned pianist Lang Lang played at the event, dedicating his performance to the fulfilment of children’s dreams. “I became a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador because I hope to play some part in helping children fully realize their dreams,” said the virtuoso.

Girls’ equality media campaign

UNICEF National Ambassador for Serbia and newly-named world No. 1 professional women’s tennis player Jelena Jankovic and 14-year-old junior tennis player Liu Yingchong jointly introduced a television campaign produced by UNICEF and the All-China Women’s Federation as part of a campaign to advocate for equal opportunities for girls.

“UNICEF supports programmes in China to help change attitudes that discriminate against girls and in doing so, helps girls realize their dreams,” Jankovic said.

Three outstanding women featured in the television campaign — China’s top female conductor, Maestro Zheng Xiaoying; well-known scholar and writer Yu Dan; and TV talk show presenter Chen Luyu. They were present to share their stories and support UNICEF’s campaign to promote girls’ equality in China.

Children Affected by HIV/AIDS’s Opportunities and Dreams

Tan Yuanyuan, Principal Dancer with the San Francisco Ballet, and one of China’s greatest ballerinas, attended the reception to help raise awareness of the plight of children affected by HIV/AIDS. She presented artwork by participants of the current annual Summer Camp for children affected by HIV and AIDS, organized by UNICEF and the China National Committee for the Care of Children.

The evening ended with a group of children affected by HIV/AIDS singing a song and presenting a drama entitled “Opportunities and Dreams” to appeal for equal rights to participate in sports and recreation for all children. The gala ended on a playful and hopeful note, with UNICEF staff, senior Government officials, celebrities, and corporate partners sharing the stage with the children and playing ball with them.

About UNICEF
UNICEF is on the ground in over 150 countries and territories to help children survive and thrive, from early childhood through adolescence. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.

For further information, please contact:
Amanda Hudson, UNICEF China, +86 1391 118 2053, ahudson@unicef.org
Liu Li, UNICEF China, +86 1370 106 6671, liliu@unicef.org

дalex
Aug 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Sarah.

In the interview for RTS JJ said she was feeling OK, but that she started to feel some pain again in the second set, so she had to take some painkillers. It kinda sounded like she already took them before the match but I'm not sure of that, I may be hearing things again. :lol:
She said she would have another treatment and that she hopes that it would help her feel even better tomorrow. :)

Wayn77
Aug 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I swear, if any JJ fan starts another thread in GM about her possible withdrawal after today's match - he/she is getting a bad rep from me.

Same here .... I will hunt down the culprit and squash it. :fiery:

Last nights withdrawal thread started off nice and gently,

12 pages later it was all-out war! :haha:

Nina.
Aug 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Last nights withdrawal thread started off nice and gently,

12 pages later it was all-out war! :haha:

Sadly that's the kind of thread which is destined to develop into some crap :o

Protic
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080808/COLUMNIST/808080312/2127&title=Jankovic_is_10th_Bollettieri_player_to_be_ra nked_No__1

Jankovic is 10th Bollettieri player to be ranked No. 1
Published: Friday, August 8, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

Jelena Jankovic was 15 years old and full of confidence when I asked her what her goals were in tennis.

Barely skipping a beat, Jankovic responded to the question by saying, "I want to be No. 1, and I want to win Grand Slams." That was actually in February of 2001.

At the time, Jankovic had only been playing tennis for five years and was training in relative obscurity at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy. She had just won the Australian Open junior tournament but still played in the shadow of a youngster at the academy by the name of Maria Sharapova.

Now 23, Jankovic has yet to win a Grand Slam title but on Monday she will ascend to the No. 1 spot in the world when the new WTA rankings are released.

"Since I was a young girl it's been my dream to become No. 1 in the world," Jankovic said in a statement released by the WTA when she learned she would replace fellow-Serbian Ana Ivanovic at the top of the rankings. "When you get older, at least one day you can say you were No. 1 in the world."

Bollettieri, meanwhile, can now claim 10 No. 1 ranked players. With Jankovic's climb to the top spot, 10 players who have at one time trained with Bollettieri have reached No. 1 in the world. That list includes Sharapova, Andre Agassi and Sarasota's Monica Seles. The others are Jim Courier, Marcelo Rios, Boris Becker, Serena and Venus Williams and Martina Hingis. And, now, Jankovic, who recently returned to train at Bollettieri's and stopped in at the academy this past week.

"We are pretty fortunate," Bollettieri said. "It is an unbelievable feat and shows the success of the academy at the professional ranks. But it is important to note that there are many more players who go on to success at the collegiate level."

Of the 10 players to reach No. 1 in the world who have trained at what is now the IMG Academies in Bradenton, only Rios and Jankovic have not won a professional Grand Slam title.

Jankovic's rise comes from consistency, if not brilliance on the tour. She has reached the semifinals of three of the four Grand Slams -- the U.S. Open, French Open and Australian Open. She has made the semifinals twice at the French while getting to the fourth round three straight years at Wimbledon.

This year she reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and French Open. She won at Rome and the final of the 2008 Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.

Though she has won just six tournaments in her career, Jankovic has earned almost $5 million in prize money and improved each year on the tour.

Now she is the 18th woman to hold the No. 1 ranking and will be playing this next week in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/12/content_9229976.htm

Serbs Jankovic, Djokovic stay on course at Olympics

BEIJING, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- Serbian world number one Jelena Jankovic overcame a mid-match lapse to move through to the last 16 of the women's singles with a 7-5, 6-1 second round win over Alona Bondarenko from Ukraine at the Olympic Green Tennis Center on Tuesday.

Earlier, fellow Serb and third seed Novak Djokovic also cruised into the third round in men's singles after posting a 6-4, 6-2 win over German Rainer Schuettler.

Jankovic made hard work of winning a scrappy first set as she appeared to be well in control while leading 4-1, but an inexplicable loss of form saw her lose the next 10 points to let her opponent back into the contest.

Bondarenko broke Jankovic's service twice to level things at 5-5, but the 23-year-old Serb got back on track to break her opponent once more to win the final two games of the set. The two committed 50 unforced errors in the first set.

Jankovic began to produce more consistent play, reeling off five straight games to take the match after three successive breaks of serve.

"I think I found the right tactic. In the first set, I was a little bit struggling. I was playing quite aggressive, hitting the ball quite clean, but then I lost my concentration and the focus and started making all these errors," Jankovic said. "I let my opponent come back into the match, but as soon as we started the second set, I kind of knew what I need to do."

After compatriot and top seed Ana Ivanovic pulled out of the tournament due to a hand injury, Jankovic has been promoted to be one of the favorites for the gold medal.

Jankovic has just replaced Ivanovic, who had held No. 1 for nine weeks from June 9 to August 10. Ivanovic was the first player representing Serbia to become No. 1, with Jankovic now following right behind.

The two are projected to be in close competition the next few weeks for the top ranking, with eight points separating them.

"It feels great to be No. 1 in the world. At the moment I'm still not aware of that and it's a huge achievement. Not many people have achieved that."

"I'm the 18th player in the tennis history to come to the No. 1 spot. I will remember this for the rest of my life.

"When I get older, I can tell my kids I was the No. 1 player in the world. So I'm really proud of that. And I hope to represent this in the best possible light.

"At the moment, I'm not in the best form. I'm struggling with a lot of injuries, but hopefully I will get back in form."

Her reward will be a meeting against Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia, seeded No. 16.

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM
And Now, for Something Completely Different... (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2514)

... the WTA asks players to answer two questions:
1) If you weren't a tennis player, what would you be?
2) If you could meet one person you've never met, who would it be?

Y'all, it is time for the JJ vs. Domi throwdown.

Jelena Jankovic: "An actress. I've always watched a lot of movies. With my brother and my friends when we were much younger, I would always try imitating all of these actors. I loved being in school plays too."
Dominika Cibulkova: "I think I'd be an actress, because when I was younger I was always in school plays and loved it. I always wanted to be a star!"

and

Dominika Cibulkova: "I like a lot of singers. Probably Justin Timberlake. I like his style and songs. He's really cool. If not him then maybe 50 Cent."
Jelena Jankovic: "Justin Timberlake. I like his music and I like his looks. And I liked the song he did with Madonna a lot."

They are like one person.

:armed:

Bring it.

RFS
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Except one scares the fuck out of me when she plays, and the other ... scares the fuck out of me when she pl... oh.... :lol:

Bruno71
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
9 out of 10 WTA players would probably say Justin Timberlake and actress (the straight ones :lol:)

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
:rolls:

Good find Sonja, and it's the perfect timing. Let's see which one of these two Justin lovin' actress wannabes will win today? Go JJ!

Protic
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Y'all, it is time for the JJ vs. Domi throwdown.
They are like one person.

Q. Which one was your idol?
DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA: You know, I
really liked the game of Jelena Jankovic.

http://www.rogerscup.com/2/en/draws/interviews/cibulkova_3.pdf

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Aw, and after she beat her, too. :lol:

Well, that's adorable. I noticed after their match today that Dominika has also adopted JJ's wave-wave-turn-backwards wave-backwards wave-turn walk off court. I wonder if she dresses up like JJ on Hallowe'en?

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I think it's great that JJ can finally be a role model for someone. That would explain some of Domi's sexy photoshoots as well. :lol:

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I think it's great that JJ can finally be a role model for someone. That would explain some of Domi's sexy photoshoots as well. :lol:

Indeed.

http://www.bestfreenudecelebs.com/index.php/thumbs/lrg-8889-jelena-jankovic-nude-6.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2461/55285dominak1231176lozy8.jpg

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
:drool: :lick:

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think I smell a reality show.

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.b92.net/sport/peking2008/tenis/vesti.php?yyyy=2008&mm=08&dd=13&nav_id=313316

JJ: My goal is winning a medal

"She's an opponent that doesn't give you any free points. First set was tiring cos I was hitting the ball flat. In the second set I added more spin to my shots and played some lobs and that threw her off. I'm very pleased with this win and it's a revenge for the loss from few weeks ago", said Jelena to the reporters in Beijing.

"Injury? Well, it's better but before the match I had to get an injection. It felt the worst in my first match here. I almost wanted to cry in some moments. Injections are the only way, although after the match it's tough when the knee cools down", admitted Jelena.

Her opponent in the QF will be 6th seeded Dinara Safina.

"She's in amazing form for the last few weeks. I won against her couple of times, but I see she's a lot stronger right now. It will be tough, but my goal is winning a medal."

Cortisone Injections? :scared:
What does that do?

edit. OK, I just watched that interview on RTS and basically, the calf getting better = injections. The only match she played without any help from painkillers and injections was the R1 match. Then it hurt so much she wanted to cry.

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
What does that do?

Well, in the short term, they're very effective anti-inflammatories.

In the long run, they're not that great if you're getting them in a joint, because they can thin out your tendons and decrease bone density. But my impression is that her problem is muscular, and those cortisone injections don't tend to have any specific long-term risks.

If RTS tells you she's getting them in her knee, I don't want to hear about it. :p

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
They didn't specify what she's getting them for. I think it's for that calf injury.

http://www.mtsmondo.com/peking2008/text.php?vest=106317

"It's hard to play against her cos she doesn't give you any free points. I started the match playing aggressively but it made me feel tired, so I had to change the tactics."

Unlike in her other matches, today she didn't call for the trainer, she moved freely around the court and hit devastating backhands DTL that Cibulkova didn't have the answer for.

"I came here to represent my country and win a medal which I dream of. That's why I'm fighting as hard as I can."

"Dinara is in great form and if I want to win I'll have to play the best I can."

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM
If RTS tells you she's getting them in her knee, I don't want to hear about it. :p

"Injury? Well, it's better but before the match I had to get an injection. It felt the worst in my first match here. I almost wanted to cry in some moments. Injections are the only way, although after the match it's tough when the knee cools down", admitted Jelena.

I've just read this more carefully and :help:!

There's another sentence that I left out because it's not a JJ quote...

"Jelena Jankovic said she got an injection before the match so she wouldn't feel the pain in her knee."

:help: :scared: :help:

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Didn't I tell you not to tell me about that? :p

And I'm so confused about why she hasn't had her knee taped at all in Beijing.

дalex
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
You said if RTS told me about it...:p
I don't remember hearing that on RTS, it's from that article. :angel:

Maybe JJ mixed up her injuries or journalists got it wrong?

Bruno71
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
She hasn't complained about her knee since coming back a few weeks ago so we could probably assume it's journalists getting it wrong.

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna go with that for now. I do not want to hear that she's getting repeated cortisone shots in her knee. Ignorance is bliss. :p

Wrekin
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
She hasn't complained about her knee since coming back a few weeks ago so we could probably assume it's journalists getting it wrong.

That's because she's getting injections in her knee? :tape::help:

Piska
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
What does that do?

are you sure about cortisone injections or it was just painkillers injections?:confused:

Bruno71
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
That's because she's getting injections in her knee? :tape::help:

:lol: I hope not. That would make her extremely insane if she's playing through tournaments like LA with cortisone shots every day and then claiming her knee is better.

are you sure about cortisone injections or it was just painkillers injections?:confused:

Very likely cortisone. They'd be the most effective as anti-inflammatories.

Wrekin
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
:lol: I hope not. That would make her extremely insane

Ummmmm.....no comment. :rolleyes:

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
:lol: I hope not. That would make her extremely insane if she's playing through tournaments like LA with cortisone shots every day and then claiming her knee is better.

Besides, she never called a trainer out to look at her knee, only at her calf. I didn't see the match yesterday, but when she was playing her first round match I'm pretty sure at one point she had all the available tape and freeze spray in Beijing applied to her leg. :p

Tashi
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
^ Keep telling yourself that. It's only the calf, it's only the calf...:p

Ian Aberdon
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I only saw JJ wringing out her ponytail...:angel:

JadeFox
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
You guys are lucky to see anything. I don't think any tennis has been shown on NBC since the Olympics have started.

*Shakes fist at NBC*

Bruno71
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
You guys are lucky to see anything. I don't think any tennis has been shown on NBC since the Olympics have started.

*Shakes fist at NBC*

nbcolympics.com has good streaming for folks in the US. I think some tennis may have been shown on USA Network or one of those others besides NBC.

Tashi
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
USA and MSNBC have shown tennis. But mostly taped, American player matches. Matches I have no desire to watch. :p

JadeFox
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
nbcolympics.com has good streaming for folks in the US. I think some tennis may have been shown on USA Network or one of those others besides NBC.

USA and MSNBC have shown tennis. But mostly taped, American player matches. Matches I have no desire to watch. :p

Well clearly I missed those. Ugh. This whole getting ready to go back to school deal is affecting my tennis time.:mad::p

Tashi
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I would looooove to watch with the stream. But this whole getting an education is getting in the way of watching tennis.

Bruno71
Aug 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, check out the website. I'm actually streaming the JJ/Domi match right now.

redsonja
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Almost everything that's been streamed on NBCOlympics.com is archived on their website. So far the only tennis I haven't been able to find are the night matches from Center Court and Court 2 from the second round.

So if you want to watch it, it's all still there. :)

~Kiera~
Aug 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/tennis/news/newsid=210049.html

Breach of fan etiquette doesn't bother tennis players
Cheering during points is frequent in Beijing tennis action

BEIJING (AP) -- Fans in Beijing find Olympic tennis so exciting they sometimes start applauding before a rally ends.

Such behavior would be considered a grotesque breach of etiquette at, say, Wimbledon. Even at the U.S. Open, where crowd can be rowdy, spectators usually wait until a point's over to cheer -- or boo.

But this week, fans have been providing a noisy soundtrack to long rallies.

"They're really getting into the whole tennis thing," top-seeded Roger Federer after his third-round win Wednesday. "They get excited for different reasons here in China, it seems like."

Crowds at Olympic tennis have been larger and livelier at night, but for most any match they can be unpredictable. Even something as routine as a first serve into the net might trigger a buzz from the stands.

"They go, 'Ooooh,'" top-ranked Jelena Jankovic said with a laugh. "They're quite sad you didn't make the ball over the net."

"On a double-fault, you're like, 'OK, double-faults happen,'" Federer said. "But they're like, 'Oh, no, how bad for the guy.' So it's actually quite a unique experience. It's a different cultural experience, in a way. Honestly, I enjoy it."

Tennis players can be notoriously finicky about such things, but Lleyton Hewitt liked the atmosphere on center court during his second-round loss to Rafael Nadal.

The two baseline retrievers waged plenty of lengthy rallies, and fans sometimes began cheering each shot.

"The longer the point went, you know, the happier they were," Hewitt said.

Jankovic has mixed feelings about the crowd etiquette in Beijing. When she played on center court Tuesday, she complained to the chair umpire about noise from fans during points.

"Sometimes they get quite excited during the point, which is quite distracting for us," she said. "But it's very difficult to explain to them in Chinese. During the point, we are really fighting hard to play each ball, and you hear such loud applause during it, and you kind of get confused."

On the other hand, Jankovic said, she's glad fans are into the match. Serena Williams agreed and said cheering during points no longer bothers her.

"Usually I get so angry, like, 'Be quiet,'" Williams said with a laugh. "Now it actually makes me get excited they're so into the point. It's actually kind of cool."

Cat123
Aug 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Serena, would you have said that if you'd lost?!

Piska
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Kuzzy hates our girl, i guess:o
She just said the russian press:
Q:Now is JJ number one in a world. But in Bejging, it seems, she is not in good form?
Kuzzy:She is allways in bed form! Why she became number one in a world? Just played much tournaments. And if she lose, Jankovic permanent complains of her injures.:fiery:

дalex
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Kuzy :eek:

Nina.
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Would have never expected it from her...
Btw, Kuzy also played 19 tournaments this is just 3 less than JJ and also more than counted in the ranking :shrug:

RFS
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I can't help wondering if that's a little out of context - I thought they got on OK...?

дalex
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I can't help wondering if that's a little out of context - I thought they got on OK...?

Yeah, I thought so, too. But I still love my Kuzy.
Damn this rain! I hope it stops soon enough so JJ can play today.

Piska
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
it was an interview about Svetlanas lost and life in Beijing.
Then she was asked about her own chances on the number one and about JJs achievement.

Btw, during Euro08, Kuzzy was asked, how she will see Russia - Spain or Russia dont remember who match :)
She answered: With my serbian friends
q: their names are Ivanovic and Jankovic
Kuzzy: fortunately, no :devil:

дalex
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Kuzzy: fortunately, no :devil:

:rolls: Is there more of that?

Piska
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM
:rolls: Is there more of that?

no, sorry
Kuzzy speaks about our queen no so often :)

~Kiera~
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Have you got a link for this please, Piska?

I'm going to hope that something went wrong and she was misquoted by the press, because it's a rather silly statement to make.

In reality, Jelena has played only two tournaments more than Sveta yet is nearly 1000 points ahead in the race so clearly it's not a case of just playing in many tournaments. You actually have to do well in them, too :eek:

Piska
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
yes, of course i have a link. But its russian.
http://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles/tretya-raketka-mira-svetlana-kuznetsova-c2-abushla-v-svoy-mir-c2-bb-19990

the last question about Marias injury and the last but one about JJ

Wrekin
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Kuzzy:She is allways in bed form! Why she became number one in a world? Just played much tournaments. And if she lose, Jankovic permanent complains of her injures.

I take it that should read 'bad form', although it may turn out to be prophetic :rolleyes:

She answered: With my serbian friends
q: their names are Ivanovic and Jankovic
Kuzzy: fortunately, no

Actually I think this has been through too many translations ;).

Kuzzy is the one who claims to get on with everyone.

~Kiera~
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM
yes, of course i have a link. But its russian.
http://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles/tretya-raketka-mira-svetlana-kuznetsova-c2-abushla-v-svoy-mir-c2-bb-19990

the last question about Marias injury and the last but one about JJ

I was just curious as to what else she said, because it seems so out of character. I know I will not be able to translate it correctly, but you can at least get the jist of what's been said.

дalex
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm bored, co here's an article with some interesting quotes from Nole and JJ...
http://www.novosti.rs/code/navigate.php?Id=154&status=jedna&vest=126443&datum=2008-08-14

NOLE

You're still in singles competition. Now you reached the QF, level of tennis is great and Nadal and Federer are also approaching the final rounds. Does that mean you're not as interested in US Open?

- Every player dreams of winning an Olympic medal. I said it hundred times and I'll say it again - my all time dream is to win a medal, to be the Olympic champion. It's everyone's goal, you know - "one world, one dream". Personally, I'd give 4 GS titles for an Olympic gold, said Novak after his victory over Youzhny.

Novak has found a new hobby. He's collecting pins in the Olympic Village.

- Yeah, that's my new hobby. It's going very slow for now. My commitments don't allow me to do it faster. I have 50 now, but I want more. I'll do it for the rest of my life cos these are my first Games and who knows whether I'll ever again be in the Olympic village.

JELENA

Serbian tennis player reached the QFs in Beijing after beating Slovakia Dominika Cibulkova 7-5 6-1.

- I always have tough time against her and today was the same. It was a tough match in which I had to change the strategy late in the first set. Adding spin to my shots and playing some lobs I made her lose the strength. the most important thing is that I keep winning cos I'm still troubled by the injury.

So, how is the calf right now?

- Well, better. The toughest time I had in my first round match because I played without the help of the painkillers. Now I'm getting injections, so it's easier. But, when it stops working after the match...Ouch!

Jankovic will play 6th seeded Safina in the QF. She is possibly the toughest opponent cos she's in amazing form for the last few weeks and in the round of 16 she easily beat the Chinese Jie Zheng (6-4 6-3).

- Who I'm playing next? Safina. Well, because of the injury I haven't been paying attention to the draw and the opponents. Safina improved so much, she's even better than her ranking right now. She's a lot stronger and she beat me recently. It's the perfect time for the revenge and the Olympics are perfect place to do it.

Reaching the SF would bring a possible consolation match-off for the bronze medal.

- I never think like that. I never liked consolation prizes. I'm going for a SF now, then I'll go for the final and after that for the gold medal. I came here to play with my heart for my country, for Serbia. I came here to try and win the gold, although every medal would be a great success.

RFS
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Geez woman...get past Super-Safina first - then we can start going crazy over a possible Bronze!

дalex
Aug 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I think she wanted to say she's always going for the win and that she's not thinking she might lose. She sounds like she really wants to avenge that loss to Dinara. :devil: