PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread, vol 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

~Kiera~
May 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Sofia + Baby Anci BFF.

Sofia seems like a total Ana fangirl. Or a stalker.

http://answermyquestionjerk.se/sofia/

Promised you come with photos. Try it with some from Miami-contest ...

http://i39.tinypic.com/v4xa47.jpg

Larsa, Damian (Anas fitness coach) and photographer (I) is in South Beach, waiting for Ana to come. We see the car. Is it Ana? What has she done now ... ....?

http://i41.tinypic.com/9ir528.jpg

Not at all, then we see. Of course Ana is in style ... ..

http://i42.tinypic.com/2e4vk7p.jpg

But again we were wrong. Ana and her mother came along behind us. This I could not capture images of the batteries ran out.

ce
May 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Rezai :eek:
what a bitch :tape:
lets go Safarova :armed:

Nina.
May 15th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Sofia :spit:
Seems like only JJ manages to keep all these players bitter at her :haha:

Bruno71
May 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
OMG Sofia. :lol: She has it for Anci worse than I thought :spit:

Brena
May 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Sofia seems like a total Ana fangirl. Or a stalker.

:unsure: Ok, this is getting a little scary now...

~Kiera~
May 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=408879

Q : Well, that was a well deserved win today over one of the favorites for the French Open, Jelena Jankovic. Tell us more about it.

A.R. : Yeah, she is a great player, she has a cool game. But today, I was obivousely too good for her and she disliked that, and I hated her attitude at the net, she barely touched my hand during the handshake and I did not like what she said during the postmatch interviews.

Q : What was the difference between you and her today ?

A.R. : Well, I played like a top 5, just like I do since the beginning of the tournament. There is no other explanation as far as I'm concerned.

Q : You look upset by what happened with Jelena during the handshake as you've just said. Is it cold between you two ? Do you know each other well ?

A.R. : No, as a person she's horrible, I mean her attitude, but as a player, she's okay. She has great shots, but I think she should not behave like a diva on the court.

Brena
May 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
^ Just saw it in GM. This Rezai girl obviously has some problems. I can even understand Arvidsson to a point, I mean losing 2 matches to someone after such huge leads must be terribly frustrating, but what on earth does Rezai want? She started hating on JJ out of the blue, before Dubai, when they had played only one uneventful match. :unsure:

Nina.
May 15th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I am really confused by these Rezai comments. Okay, she isn't her biggest fan, fine but does she have to get at her like this? :unsure: I wonder if it's just kind of "attention-seeking" or if something happened between the two sometime off court :shrug:

-NAJ-
May 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
What about Ao final-juniors?

Brena
May 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I am really confused by these Rezai comments. Okay, she isn't her biggest fan, fine but does she have to get at her like this? :unsure: I wonder if it's just kind of "attention-seeking" or if something happened between the two sometime off court :shrug:

But what? Jelena refused her an autograph?

What about Ao final-juniors?

I didn't know she played that final against Rezai! Something must have happened there.

~Kiera~
May 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I can totally understand Sofia's comments (even if she is totally in love with Ana :p) as stealing someone's appointment is a pretty poor thing to do.

Aravane, on the other hand, is starting to sound more than a little hypocritical. She started this thing off in the press. What does she want from Jelena at the net? A hug and a song praising her virtues? :shrug:

Nina.
May 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
But what? Jelena refused her an autograph?

:eek: that must be the explanation...poor girl :sobbing:

-NAJ-
May 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I didn't know she played that final against Rezai! Something must have happened there.

against Sofia:p

Brena
May 15th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I can totally understand Sofia's comments (even if she is totally in love with Ana :p) as stealing someone's appointment is a pretty poor thing to do.

You reckon Jelena really did that? Crossed out Sofia's name and wrote her own over it? I don't know what to make of it, not because I think Jelena is too nice to do something like that, but because Sofia is just so... strange...

against Sofia:p

Oh. I had no idea she was such a good junior.
Sofia :hug:
But I still don't get what Rezai wants. :lol:

~Kiera~
May 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
You reckon Jelena really did that? Crossed out Sofia's name and wrote her own over it? I don't know what to make of it, not because I think Jelena is too nice to do something like that, but because Sofia is just so... strange...

I wouldn't put it past Jelena :lol: Sofia is certainly a bit on the strange side though. Why in the world would anyone think it'd be a good idea to put those stalkerish photos about a fellow player on your blog? :tape:

Brena
May 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't put it past Jelena :lol:

Neither would I. Nicking someone else's massage appointment, that is. Just the way in which it allegedly happened sounds a bit silly, that's why I still wonder.

Sofia is certainly a bit on the strange side though. Why in the world would anyone think it'd be a good idea to put those stalkerish photos about a fellow player on your blog? :tape:

I know, that's really :unsure:

~Kiera~
May 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I know, that's really :unsure:

Ana should watch out. Sofia could be a bit of a bunny boiler :p

-NAJ-
May 16th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I think JJ's handshake was ok if you look Rezai comments before few months ago. She asked for that.
rezai just wants to get attention with that. It's not the 1st time to talk like that about players.

ms_nut
May 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM
:scratch: What's up with Rezai? JJ was ranked #1, if she wants to be a diva, she can, you on the other hand, haven't even beaten Serena but claim her game is not so hot...

What about Rezai's handshakes? After she loses, she gives some cold handshakes as well. And what about complaining to the chair umpire about MLDB's shrieks when she was losing and then screaming at the top of her lungs herself..

:rolleyes: And those Allez's and Come on's.. can they be more irritating.

Bruno71
May 16th, 2010, 02:48 AM

Still that'd be an awfully long time ago.

lestat111
May 16th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I think she played final against Sofia. that must be before Sofia became Ivanovic s fan :cool:

Hashim.
May 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
wow..I missed quite a lot:speakles:

JJ hate at its peak:hearts:

Safe-From-Harm
May 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
And what did Jelena actually does to Sofia?
I can't remember.

Shafanovic.
May 16th, 2010, 01:32 PM
hate hate hate rezai :D

~Kiera~
May 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM
And what did Jelena actually does to Sofia?
I can't remember.

Sofia claimed that she had booked a massage appointment after her match, but when she got there Jelena had scribbled her name out and wrote her own down instead :lol:

Safe-From-Harm
May 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Sofia claimed that she had booked a massage appointment after her match, but when she got there Jelena had scribbled her name out and wrote her own down instead :lol:

hahhaha:worship:
Of course, JJ is a Empress.

MaBaker
May 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I still can't imagine Jelena doing that for real, but good if she did. Some of those players are way too spoiled.

Bruno71
May 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I still can't imagine Jelena doing that for real, but good if she did. Some of those players are way too spoiled.

If JJ did it, that'd be very petty, but somehow I just hate Sofia so much I wouldn't care. The amount she tries to ingratiate herself with Anci is ridiculous.

дalex
May 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I don't know about that massage. I don't think anyone would lie about something like that, so my guess is Jelena thought the loser shouldn't get the massage before her and just took it. Especially after Sofia really tired her out in that match. :rolleyes:

Bruno71
May 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I don't know about that massage. I don't think anyone would lie about something like that, so my guess is Jelena thought the loser shouldn't get the massage before her and just took it. Especially after Sofia really tired her out in that match. :rolleyes:

My question would be if Sofia ever approached JJ & found out what happened, or just decided to go straight to the blog and bitch. My bet's on the latter.

Wrekin
May 17th, 2010, 08:58 AM
A.R. : No, as a person she's horrible

You cannot say something like that in a press conference :eek:. It reflects badly on no-one but yourself.

JadeFox
May 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
:scratch: What's up with Rezai? JJ was ranked #1, if she wants to be a diva, she can, you on the other hand, haven't even beaten Serena but claim her game is not so hot...

What about Rezai's handshakes? After she loses, she gives some cold handshakes as well. And what about complaining to the chair umpire about MLDB's shrieks when she was losing and then screaming at the top of her lungs herself..

:rolleyes: And those Allez's and Come on's.. can they be more irritating.

That's pretty much when Rezai lost me. If I ever slightly liked her before, that went out of the window.

Funny that, last year virtually everyone was on Rezai's side and hating on Michelle but seriously? If you're gonna bitch about an opponent's grunts then you better be silent yourself. And she definitely WASN'T when she played Dinara.

As for Sofia, she better not do anything to harm Ana. She's got that whole Single White Female Syndrome when it comes to her, which means that Adam Scott should watch his back as well. :eek:

Brena
May 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
As for Sofia, she better not do anything to harm Ana. She's got that whole Single White Female Syndrome when it comes to her, which means that Adam Scott should watch his back as well. :eek:

What's that?
But seriously, Sofia's blog is one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a while...

RFS
May 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
You cannot say something like that in a press conference :eek:. It reflects badly on no-one but yourself.

Yeah - that's pretty low...

Wrekin
May 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
What's that?

It's a film:

Single White Female (1992)

Allie's new roommate is about to borrow a few things without asking. Her clothes. Her boyfriend. Her life.

Watch out Ana :lol:

MB.
May 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
FUCK YEAH BRUCE JENKINS!

THIS ARTICLE: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_jenkins/05/18/nadal-federer/index.html

Parting shot: Perhaps it wasn't the coolest thing to do, and it must be noted that there's bad blood between the two, but I was glad to see Jankovic bitterly mimic Ana Ivanovic's fist-pump after their match in Madrid. The subtle fist-pump has become a pathetic, out-of-control gesture on both tours, with players congratulating themselves after every episode that goes their way. Maria Sharapova crafted it into an art form, but there are countless other violators -- even Andy Roddick, who really should know better.

What a shameless display of insecurity. What, you have to reassure yourself after every damn point? Celebratory gestures should be rare and well-chosen, like Nadal's crowd-pleasing leaps when he cracks an especially brilliant winner. Otherwise, you're just a joke out there, especially when you're celebrating someone else's misfortune.

"Did you see how her routine forehand sailed six feet long? Wow, am I good."[B]

Seriously, thank God he threw that out there.

I was beginning everyone agreed with the crazy Ana-obsessed-fans.

I mean I like Ana, but this was FUNNY. And fistpumping? IS ANNOYING.

Best part of the article: "Did you see how her routine forehand sailed six feet long? Wow, am I good." :worship: Especially because I can totally see that thought going through Ana's head

дalex
May 19th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Good find, MB. Mr. Jenkins, :bowdown:.

Bobisa
May 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I was glad to see Jankovic bitterly mimic Ana Ivanovic's fist-pump after their match in Madrid. The subtle fist-pump has become a pathetic, out-of-control gesture on both tours...
:fistpump: :worship::drool::worship:

Brena
May 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Ha! JenkinsGOAT! Whoever he is... :lol:

Bobisa
May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I don't think you can pick a Russian as a likely winner, but Jelena Jankovic has a good chance. She is in there with the likely list of winners simply because she is enjoying a bit of better form approaching the tournament.

I would think if anybody, Serena and Venus, Henin and Jankovic are the four most likely winners. It would be a surprise if the winner came from outside those four, but my hunch over the past few weeks is that Sam Stosur could do a lot of damage.

I'm not changing my mind about that.

Given a favourable draw, I'll go for Jankovic and Stosur to reach the final, but it is a long two weeks. Much can change in that period.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/2980/

Foon_JJ
May 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
from facebook:

Getting ready to leave for Paris tomorrow! Have been practicing here in Belgrade for a few days, now need to finish packing. Good news is that Chip is also coming to Paris tomorrow.

-NAJ-
May 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Weather in Serbia is so bad :mad:

Chip & Jelena again in action :worship::worship::worship: Good news

Foon_JJ
May 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Weather in Serbia is so bad :mad:

Chip & Jelena again in action :worship::worship::worship: Good news

Same as Hong Kong :mad:

terjw
May 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM
from facebook:

Getting ready to leave for Paris tomorrow! Have been practicing here in Belgrade for a few days, now need to finish packing. Good news is that Chip is also coming to Paris tomorrow.

That's good.

ce
May 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
jelena is going to win :)

:haha: :spit:

-NAJ-
May 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Serbian newspapers writes that she is favorite for title after Henin, Serena is there also. every day info about that "Fans and bookmakers belive in Jelena", Jelena is favorite...

they want to jinx her lol

Bruno71
May 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Everyone's jumping on the Jelena as favorite for RG bandwagon...this is the third time (2007, 2008, 2010). She hasn't even won a clay title running up to this year's RG and lost to 3 lower ranked players :shrug: (ok so one of them was Henin)

LudwigDvorak
May 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
JJ will win Wimbledon instead, then.

Brena
May 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Dirty jinxers, all of them. :ras:

I know. She'll beat Justine in the final.

Bruno71
May 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM

She's like a penguin on grass.

дalex
May 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Everyone's jumping on the Jelena as favorite for RG bandwagon...this is the third time (2007, 2008, 2010). She hasn't even won a clay title running up to this year's RG and lost to 3 lower ranked players :shrug: (ok so one of them was Henin)

Well, she won clay titles back then, maybe this is a good sign? :lol:

Sure she will. She has a goat serve now. :bigclap:

Dirty jinxers, all of them. :ras:

I agree. I'm trying to send her some good vibes with this avatar, but I'll change it back to the "red hot bitch" before RG. Don't want to jinx her again, everyone knows I'm the reason Jelena failed so badly at last year's USO. I'm a dirty jinxer, too. :sobbing:

-NAJ-
May 20th, 2010, 09:52 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/jelena-jankovic-i-feel-light-almost-like-a-butterfly-on-the-court-again-1977450.html

Jelena Jankovic: 'I feel light, almost like a butterfly on the court again'

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00376/pg-58-jankovic-afp-_376441t.jpg
The former world No 1 tells Paul Newman how losing muscle has taken her back to her best in time for the French Open

Ask Jelena Jankovic where home is and she looks puzzled. "It depends," she says. "I play all around the world. It depends on my schedule." The 25-year-old Serb was born and bred in Belgrade, lists Dubai as her current residence and is having a house built in San Diego. In tennis terms, however, when it comes to feeling at home there is nowhere quite like Nick Bollettieri's academy in Bradenton, Florida, where she spent most of her teenage years alongside the likes of Maria Sharapova and Tatiana Golovin.

The bond with Bollettieri loosened when Jankovic started to make her mark on the Sony Ericsson tour, eventually reaching No 1 in the world two summers ago. In recent months, however, after a year in which her form dipped alarmingly, Jankovic is back working with the coach she says knows her best.

"Nick has known me since I was a young girl," said Jankovic, who parted company with her previous coach, Ricardo Sanchez, after the Australian Open. "He knows my game better than anybody. I felt I wanted to come back and be independent again when I play on the court, figure things out on my own, like I did in the past.

"Nick and some of his team are helping me when I have some time between tournaments to train and work on my game. But when I go to tournaments it's usually just with a hitting partner and my mum. I think that's the right solution for now."

The new arrangements are starting to bear fruit. Jankovic, world No 1 as recently as February last year, is back to No 4 in the rankings, having fallen as low as No 9 towards the end of last year. She won the title in Indian Wells in March and this month reached the final in Rome, underlining her clay-court credentials.

Having twice reached the semi- finals at the French Open, the Serb will be among those who feel they have a real chance of victory when Roland Garros opens for business on Sunday.

Like Dinara Safina, Jankovic had to respond to frequent jibes during her reign as world No 1 about the game's supposedly best player never having won a Grand Slam title. She came closest in 2008, losing to Serena Williams in the final of the US Open and reaching the semi-finals in both Melbourne and Paris.

It was a desire to take a final step that led to her downfall the following year. Believing she needed to become stronger, Jankovic worked on her physique before the 2009 season. She emerged with more power, but, crucially, had lost the edge of speed and deftness of movement.

"I wanted to be stronger and fitter, but unfortunately it resulted in a negative way for me," she said. "I felt a lot slower and I lost my movement. These days if you lose your movement you're not on the ball and your whole game goes.

"I added a lot of muscle, but now I'm back to being myself again. This is how I am, this is how I'm meant to be. I can't be like some of the other players. Being really strong doesn't suit my game. I need my movement.

"The problem was that I tried to change so many things. I was working hard on my fitness, but my game wasn't the same. A lot of changes were being made to my game that affected me on the court. I didn't feel confident or comfortable.

"But I really feel ready again and motivated now. I'm hungry. I feel lighter on the court. I've lost a lot of weight since last year. I feel almost like a butterfly on the court again. That's really important. If you feel lighter moving around the court then your whole game changes. I'm one of the smallest players, maybe along with Justine Henin. All the other girls are so strong. They work so hard in the gym. I tried to do the same, to be bigger, to be stronger, but I couldn't move. I lost my speed and it didn't really help me, so I learnt my lesson. I know what I don't need to do. I just stick to my old training. I think that's what gives me results."

The victory in Indian Wells provided a neat illustration of Jankovic's new priorities. The Serb ran Caroline Wozniacki into the ground in the final, but was then unable to hold up the hefty winner's crystal trophy. "It was nothing to be embarrassed about," Jankovic said with a smile. "When you're a tennis player, you don't have to lift heavy weights. I couldn't lift the trophy, but that's OK."

Jankovic is a classic Bollettieri graduate, a player at her most dangerous when whacking the ball ferociously from the baseline. However, she had lost some of the aggression from her game and was playing from too far back in the court. Coming forward and playing more positively, as well as hitting her serve with greater purpose, has produced a notable upturn in her performances. "There's always room for improvement," she said. "I'm always seeking advice from Nick. He's helping me a lot, giving me tips and advice and motivating me, though he's never travelled with me."

In Rome, Jankovic joined the select group of players who have beaten Serena and Venus Williams in the same tournament, although the effort took a lot out of her as she went on to lose to Spain's Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez in the final. Jankovic has a good record against the Williams sisters, who occupy the top two places in the rankings: the Serb has won six of 11 matches against Venus and four of eight against Serena.

Having worked without a travelling coach during her initial climb up the world rankings, Jankovic is happy to have the same arrangement again. "I got to No 3 without a coach, when I was just travelling with my mum," she said. "Now I just want to feel my instincts again, feel my rhythm and just be independent. I'm feeling much better about my game and about myself. My mum is very supportive. I wouldn't say she's my coach because she doesn't really get involved so much when it comes to the tennis, but she's a very, very positive woman. She is always there."

Jankovic said the French and US Opens were the two Grand Slam titles she would most like to win, but added: "I don't want to be picky. I just want to work hard and hope things will happen. I believe in myself as a player and I believe one day I will win a Grand Slam. When I see Kim Clijsters coming back to win a Grand Slam after being out of the game you can see anything is possible."

Fairer sets? How the women's game is more competitive than the men's

Jelena Jankovic is one of 19 women who have occupied the No 1 position since the world rankings were introduced 35 years ago. Since Justine Henin was dislodged by Amélie Mauresmo in September 2004, the lead has changed hands 21 times, with Lindsay Davenport, Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters, Ana Ivanovic, Jankovic, Serena Williams, Dinara Safina, Henin and Mauresmo again all enjoying top spot.

Over the same period the men's No 1 ranking has changed hands just twice. Roger Federer became No 1 in February 2004, was replaced by Rafael Nadal in 2008, only to return to the top last July.

-NAJ-
May 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
JJ on RG logo for this year :eek:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9499/58990360.png

Daruma.
May 20th, 2010, 10:19 AM
^^I couldn't get it.

-NAJ-
May 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2097/21438949.png
That's JJ :scratch:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2097/21438949.png

http://store.rolandgarros.com/en_boutique_nv_moteurResults_displaySearchInput_1_ search_t-shirt+affiche+2010_nbreply_10/ROLANDGARROS-Boutique-10963.html

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_malani_nalani_01_2010_05_18.jpg

Daruma.
May 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
How do you know it is JJ? :confused:

-NAJ-
May 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
it looks like JJ, i'm not sure ;)

ms_nut
May 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
it looks like JJ, i'm not sure ;)

:lol: I think you're wrong. The person looks like a left-hander, just based on how they're holding the racquet, I think it looks like Patty.

-NAJ-
May 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
maybe but that's prince racquet , patty don't use prince:p

ms_nut
May 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM
She's like a penguin on grass.

:sobbing: I've always felt that she had the game for grass but got a little unlucky.

Odd makers have:
1.Justine 3/2
2.Serena 5/1
3.Jelena 11/2 :eek:

In 2008, she was the 2nd Fave behind Serena.

maybe but that's prince racquet , patty don't use prince:p

Do you also see the anta logo?;)

-NAJ-
May 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Do you also see the anta logo?;)

no, because it's old photo 2007-2008:lol:

Foon_JJ
May 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
from facebook:

Landed in Paris this morning, and now heading to the courts with Chip and Darko to have a practice at 4:00PM there. So happy to be here, can't wait for the tournament to start!

Daruma.
May 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Nice that she is working with Chip. She needs someone to help her mentally and tactically before her matches.
Good luck! =)

дalex
May 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
So happy to be here, can't wait for the tournament to start!

Just don't lose to a nobody, girl! :spit:

Bruno71
May 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I think our expectations are sufficiently low. :drool:

MB.
May 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Low? I'm ready to take down any #$%^&U*er who stands in Jeca's way :armed: You hear that, Aravane?

Just kidding. God knows I'll be cheering from home every match with my eyes covered and making animal sacrifices in hopes of her getting through with as little drama as possible each round

дalex
May 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv306/Associatedbre/Avis/irina1b.jpg

Just kidding. God knows I'll be cheering from home every match with my eyes covered and making animal sacrifices in hopes of her getting through with as little drama as possible each round

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv306/Associatedbre/Avis/irina6b.jpg

Optima
May 20th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I hope her RG outfit is a black and white version of a sparkly, trashy prom dress :hearts:

ms_nut
May 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
^^ As long as it's not that lime green dress...

I agree, I haven't seen her in black since Jan'09 at the HK event.I think some Black dress with white stripes would be great.

Bruno71
May 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/jelena-jankovic-i-feel-light-almost-like-a-butterfly-on-the-court-again-1977450.html

Jelena Jankovic: 'I feel light, almost like a butterfly on the court again'

The former world No 1 tells Paul Newman how losing muscle has taken her back to her best in time for the French Open

Thursday, 20 May 2010

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00376/pg-58-jankovic-afp-_376441t.jpg (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/jelena-jankovic-i-feel-light-almost-like-a-butterfly-on-the-court-again-1977450.html?action=Popup)Jankovic celebrates beating Serbian compatriot Ana Ivanovic in the Madrid Masters earlier this month

Ask Jelena Jankovic where home is and she looks puzzled. "It depends," she says. "I play all around the world. It depends on my schedule." The 25-year-old Serb was born and bred in Belgrade, lists Dubai as her current residence and is having a house built in San Diego. In tennis terms, however, when it comes to feeling at home there is nowhere quite like Nick Bollettieri's academy in Bradenton, Florida, where she spent most of her teenage years alongside the likes of Maria Sharapova and Tatiana Golovin.

The bond with Bollettieri loosened when Jankovic started to make her mark on the Sony Ericsson tour, eventually reaching No 1 in the world two summers ago. In recent months, however, after a year in which her form dipped alarmingly, Jankovic is back working with the coach she says knows her best.

"Nick has known me since I was a young girl," said Jankovic, who parted company with her previous coach, Ricardo Sanchez, after the Australian Open. "He knows my game better than anybody. I felt I wanted to come back and be independent again when I play on the court, figure things out on my own, like I did in the past.

"Nick and some of his team are helping me when I have some time between tournaments to train and work on my game. But when I go to tournaments it's usually just with a hitting partner and my mum. I think that's the right solution for now."

The new arrangements are starting to bear fruit. Jankovic, world No 1 as recently as February last year, is back to No 4 in the rankings, having fallen as low as No 9 towards the end of last year. She won the title in Indian Wells in March and this month reached the final in Rome, underlining her clay-court credentials.

Having twice reached the semi- finals at the French, the Serb will be among those who feel they have a real chance of victory when Roland Garros opens for business on Sunday.

Like Dinara Safina, Jankovic had to respond to frequent jibes during her reign as world No 1 about the game's supposedly best player never having won a Grand Slam title. She came closest in 2008, losing to Serena Williams in the final of the US Open and reaching the semi-finals in both Melbourne and Paris.

It was a desire to take a final step that led to her downfall the following year. Believing she needed to become stronger, Jankovic worked on her physique before the 2009 season. She emerged with more power, but, crucially, had lost the edge of speed and deftness of movement.

"I wanted to be stronger and fitter, but unfortunately it resulted in a negative way for me," she said. "I felt a lot slower and I lost my movement. These days if you lose your movement you're not on the ball and your whole game goes.

"I added a lot of muscle, but now I'm back to being myself again. This is how I am, this is how I'm meant to be. I can't be like some of the other players. Being really strong doesn't suit my game. I need my movement.

"The problem was that I tried to change so many things. I was working hard on my fitness, but my game wasn't the same. A lot of changes were being made to my game that affected me on the court. I didn't feel confident or comfortable.

"But I really feel ready again and motivated now. I'm hungry. I feel lighter on the court. I've lost a lot of weight since last year. I feel almost like a butterfly on the court again. That's really important. If you feel lighter moving around the court then your whole game changes. I'm one of the smallest players, maybe along with Justine Henin. All the other girls are so strong. They work so hard in the gym. I tried to do the same, to be bigger, to be stronger, but I couldn't move. I lost my speed and it didn't really help me, so I learnt my lesson. I know what I don't need to do. I just stick to my old training. I think that's what gives me results."

The victory in Indian Wells provided a neat illustration of Jankovic's new priorities. The Serb ran Caroline Wozniacki into the ground in the final, but was then unable to hold up the hefty winner's crystal trophy. "It was nothing to be embarrassed about," Jankovic said with a smile. "When you're a tennis player, you don't have to lift heavy weights. I couldn't lift the trophy, but that's OK."

Jankovic is a classic Bollettieri graduate, a player at her most dangerous when whacking the ball ferociously from the baseline. However, she had lost some of the aggression from her game and was playing from too far back in the court. Coming forward and playing more positively, as well as hitting her serve with greater purpose, has produced a notable upturn in her performances. "There's always room for improvement," she said. "I'm always seeking advice from Nick. He's helping me a lot, giving me tips and advice and motivating me, though he's never travelled with me."

In Rome, Jankovic joined the select group of players who have beaten Serena and Venus Williams in the same tournament, although the effort took a lot out of her as she went on to lose to Spain's Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez in the final. Jankovic has a good record against the Williams sisters, who occupy the top two places in the rankings: the Serb has won six of 11 matches against Venus and four of eight against Serena.

Having worked without a travelling coach during her initial climb up the world rankings, Jankovic is happy to have the same arrangement again. "I got to No 3 without a coach, when I was just travelling with my mum," she said. "Now I just want to feel my instincts again, feel my rhythm and just be independent. I'm feeling much better about my game and about myself. My mum is very supportive. I wouldn't say she's my coach because she doesn't really get involved so much when it comes to the tennis, but she's a very, very positive woman. She is always there."

Jankovic said the French and US Opens were the two Grand Slam titles she would most like to win, but added: "I don't want to be picky. I just want to work hard and hope things will happen. I believe in myself as a player and I believe one day I will win a Grand Slam. When I see Kim Clijsters coming back to win a Grand Slam after being out of the game you can see anything is possible."

Fairer sets? How the women's game is more competitive than the men's

Jelena Jankovic is one of 19 women who have occupied the No 1 position since the world rankings were introduced 35 years ago. Since Justine Henin was dislodged by Amélie Mauresmo in September 2004, the lead has changed hands 21 times, with Lindsay Davenport, Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters, Ana Ivanovic, Jankovic, Serena Williams, Dinara Safina, Henin and Mauresmo again all enjoying top spot.

Over the same period the men's No 1 ranking has changed hands just twice. Roger Federer became No 1 in February 2004, was replaced by Rafael Nadal in 2008, only to return to the top last July.

Just Do It
May 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I think she had a terrible 2009 because of that. Richardo :mad:

-NAJ-
May 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
2010 French Open: Editors' Picks

The editors of TENNIS magazine and TENNIS.com predict this year's French Open champions:
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features_frenchopen.aspx?articleid=5520&zoneid=34

ms_nut
May 22nd, 2010, 12:16 AM
^^ :lol: 3 of them picking JJ and Serena and only two picking Henin..

:unsure: Too many people picking JJ, she's 2/3rd favorite to win the title, it's nerve racking and exciting all at once..:drool:

дalex
May 22nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
It's just that they all think she has to win one some day, so why not this RG they say - she's in good form, her draw is ok, it's as good chance as any.

I mean, look closely what they're saying...

Bodo... Anecdotal, objective...:spit:

Jelena Jankovic: As Pat Cash once said, “Every dog has his day.” And this dog-ette’s day is long, long overdue. The relative disarray on the WTA side has given many players a window of opportunity, but I think Jankovic’s is the largest, and she’s got the talent and experience to finally make good on it.

Rosenberg... Hopeful. :lol:

The first quarter of the women's draw is by far the toughest. The second may be the weakest, and that's where Jankvoic lies. She's a player who benefits from easy early-round matches and seems ready to peak in Paris.

McGrogan... A fan obviously. :bowdown:

She's burned me before, and an early-round exit wouldn't shock me — but I could say that about everyone in the women's draw. Jankovic is the greatest beneficiary of a stacked top quarter; she'll avoid many of the top guns, slip by Serena or Justine, and finally win her first Grand Slam title.

JadeFox
May 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
^^ :lol: 3 of them picking JJ and Serena and only two picking Henin..

:unsure: Too many people picking JJ, she's 2/3rd favorite to win the title, it's nerve racking and exciting all at once..:drool:

This French Open could very well be the most nerve racking for me to date. Seriously, I just can't help but feel that one of my faves is gonna do something great. And it could be JJ.

Somebody snap me out of it! :help: :lol:

Brena
May 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
This French Open could very well be the most nerve racking for me to date. Seriously, I just can't help but feel that one of my faves is gonna do something great. And it could be JJ.

Somebody snap me out of it! :help: :lol:

Snap out of it, Jade! It's the Belgian hussy, not the Serbian one. :awww:

JadeFox
May 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Snap out of it, Jade! It's the Belgian hussy, not the Serbian one. :awww:

Thank you for that! :awww:

Foon_JJ
May 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Nice day again in Paris today. Had a good practice, and worked a little in the gym. Mom also arrived today :). Now relaxing and going to make it an early night tonight.

rucolo
May 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Thanx for this interesting article.:)
And the other articles posted.

"But I really feel ready again and motivated now. I'm hungry. I feel lighter on the court. I've lost a lot of weight since last year. I feel almost like a butterfly on the court again."

Oh Jelena!:hearts:

Now fly to your first FO title!:lol:

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Interview after R2:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2010-05-27/201005271274985028195.html

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I just read it! So much class! :inlove:

Bruno71
May 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Kaia's balls were heavy and her balls were short. Got it.

J. JANKOVIC/K. Kanepi 6‑2, 3‑6, 6‑4

Q. How did you feel on the court today? Do you consider it taking advantage of the interruption of the match?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, overall it was very difficult because of the conditions. I came here around 9:00 in the morning. You know, to go, to be waiting around, you know, in the locker room, it's really not easy. Then you go on the court, and I started pretty well.

I thought that I played pretty well in the first set, even though the conditions were much more different than in the first round when I played, because the court was much slower, the balls were heavier. So overall the play was much, much slower.

So, you know, I tried my best. In the second set my opponent played much better. She made a lot more first serves. You know, I decided to back up and I didn't really do what I was supposed to do. Then when we had a break, you know, in the third, I thought, you know, I have to play more aggressively. I have to go for my shots a little more. You know, I have to, you know, go out there, and, you know, put some ‑‑ play offensively and try to win. That's what I did.

So overall it was a very difficult match. You know, she's a tough opponent to play against, and I'm happy that I was able to get through.

Q. Last two games you played more aggressive. You came in, you stepped in, you stopped playing so defensive. Did you tell yourself, If I'm gonna win this match, I can't just have her hit me off the court?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, because, you know, that's why I lost the second set. I backed up, and I let her, you know, come in. Balls were coming a lot shorter than, you know, in the first set, and my ball didn't have much pace, you know.

That's why basically I ‑‑ and I started returning very short, so overall, my balls were short, so they were easy, much easier for her to attack.

Then in the third, you know, I was a little bit angry with myself. You know, I was a little bit frustrated. And then when I had that break, you know, I had some instructions. You know, I have to, you know, I have to go out there and I have to play more offensively and I have to go after my shots.

But to be honest, it was ‑‑ you know, it was much more different than in the first. When I played my first round, the court was fast. The balls were going. Here the ball, even though sometimes you hit it really hard, it doesn't really go anywhere, so the points are much longer and it's a much different play.

Overall it was a tough one to get through, and lucky to finish the match, especially with this, in this kind of rainy day.

Q. So how much confidence do you have? You've had a pretty good season on clay that maybe this year you can make a big push in this tournament.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I have a lot of confidence. I've been playing quite well, you know, on clay. I had, you know, a lot of good wins on clay against some of the top players.

So I'm coming into this tournament quite confident, and, you know, I hope that I can just improve it each round and get used to all these conditions. You know, every day it's something different. You gotta be ready, you gotta have your focus.

Like today, it was not easy. I was waiting around the whole day and going on court, you know, after like I don't know how many hours of sitting around, and then you don't finish the match. You stop in the middle of the match, and then you have to go again. It's really not easy. It's tough, you know. You've got to stay warm. You've got to go on court and be ready from the first point.

So I'm just happy I was able to end today. She's a tough opponent, and she had a lot ‑‑ I think she had also good wins against Justine and in the Fed Cup. She's been doing quite well, won a couple of tournaments. That's what I've heard.
And I lost to her in Dubai I think last year, so I'm happy to get a win against her.

Q. When you were a kid in Serbia or training in Florida, when you imagined yourself on the center court of a Slam, winning a Slam, was it this one, by any chance, or did you not have one picked out for yourself?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, it was probably ‑‑ it was like ‑‑ you know, as a kid, I kind of always, you know, admired Wimbledon, because, you know, it was just a huge tradition. I never thought I was gonna be, you know, one day over there and be playing this kind of tournament.

I'm not really a fan of grass, but now when I started to play, when I, you know, developed my game, I prefer, you know, French Open and US Open, so my dream is, you know, to win this one and US Open. Those are my favorite ones. Those are the ones that suit my game.

Q. So apparently Ana was talking about what happened in Madrid after the match with you and the fist pump. You want to talk about, you know, your version of that? I know it was a big win for you, but why you decided...

JELENA JANKOVIC: What was her version?

Q. Well, she basically said that, you know, sports reveals character. That's what she was saying.

JELENA JANKOVIC: For me, you know, I don't need really to comment on that, you know. I don't think it's a right time to comment on this kind of thing.

But for me, as a player, it's ‑‑ every player has their way of, you know, motivating themselves and pumping themselves up, you know, if you win a point or you didn't win a point. But I don't think it's nice to put it, you know, the fist in their face. That's what can be a little irritating. That's the only ‑‑ but all the players, they do, you know, different kind of gestures, you know, with their hands.

But, you know, it's a little bit ‑‑ when you do that in the player's face, and especially after not winning a point after your opponent missed an easy ball, I don't think it's ‑‑ I don't think that's fair play.

That's just my opinion, and that's what I, as a player, don't like to do to other players. If I'm ‑‑ if I win a point or something, I do it, but I don't go like that in your face (holds up fist). That was only ‑‑ and especially when it comes to maybe me and Ana, we are two girls from the same country, and it's nice to have a nice relationship and play a normal match. Somebody has to win, and that's normal.

We're both professionals. We want to do our best on the court, and I think we should play fair. That's just my opinion. I have nothing, you know, against her or fist pumps or whatever. I play my game. I have my personality. I'm myself, and it's none of my business what Ana does or all these other girls on the court. But for me, I prefer to this kind of way like I already explained.

Q. One more question: You had that great win over Serena in Rome, and then at the end there was the whole thing about the hand. Then she came up to you at net and appeared to apologize in some way, saying she wasn't trying to stop it? Did she say, I'm not Justine, or I'm not like Justine? What do you remember?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't want to comment on that, because that's between me and Serena, and, you know, she said that I have a nice dress and a nice size, you know, after the match. (laughter.)

So I don't really want to comment on whatever she said. It doesn't really matter for the public. It's ‑‑ you know, we are ‑‑ we played a tough match. It was a great match. We played good tennis, and that's what matters.

Sometimes there are gonna be some weird moments, but because we're very competitive, we want to ‑‑ we want to win. I mean, it's not like we are having a picnic out there or a charity match. This is a professional sport. We want to ‑‑ I mean, both of us want to win, and that's actually ‑‑ it's a big battle, and sometimes things happen, but sometimes you don't mean it, and you're under this atmosphere whereas sometimes you cannot control your emotions and that can be difficult.

Overall, you know, it was a good match. That's what I want to remember it as, and I won both ‑‑ I won against both Williams sisters in less than 24 hours, so it was a pretty good tournament for me, and, you know, it was really good for my confidence.

I got two wins against No. 1 and No. 2 in the world, so that means something.

MaBaker
May 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Kaia's balls were heavy and her balls were short. Got it.
lol, Jeja and those heavy balls.. But I do understand her.

RFS
May 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hey guys ...JJ and Marat watching her and chatting to Sneki... Despite the rain it was good to see JJ in action ...

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hey guys ...JJ and Marat watching her and chatting to Sneki... Despite the rain it was good to see JJ in action ...

Marat and who?

Hopefully the rain didn't prevent you from having fun. Any interesting stories this time? :lol:

Bruno71
May 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Marat and who?

Hopefully the rain didn't prevent you from having fun. Any interesting stories this time? :lol:

Maybe it was Jamea Jackson ;)

RFS
May 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Bloody typing on iPhone not as easy as the adverts show!!!
Just before the start of JJ's match Marat came to sit in the players box and he was chatting with Sneki for a bit before
play started!

I got a pic of him as he was turning back to watch :-)

Anyway ... It's tiring being rained so off to sleep soon xxx

-NAJ-
May 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
which Marat?

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
which Marat?

Safin, no? It's just that Rozzie and Marat are on a first-name basis. It's love. :lol:

-NAJ-
May 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
^^
that Marat. it's not that i know many Marat:p
Marat and Snezana :lol:

Brena
May 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Oh Rozzie, you must be having a ball there, even if it's a little rainy.
Ma, do you see now what a great fun we could be having had you studied on time and had we stolen some money off Alex... :ras:

Foon_JJ
May 28th, 2010, 01:25 AM
"I don't want to comment on that, because that's between me and Serena."
:hearts:

RFS
May 28th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Safin, no? It's just that Rozzie and Marat are on a first-name basis. It's love. :lol:
Could there be another Marat???? Sorry NAJ -yes it was Safin!
I was so excited at seeing him I totally forgot to type words!

Ok thoughts on the practicality of the iPhone in the rain? VERY hard to type when it is raining on you!
I turned off all the network stuff because for some reason I cannot get 3G even showing while out and about even though I paid for the data bolt on before I left to avoid HUGE charges!!!!

I did manage to see that the PressRG wifi was un-encrypted! But you need a password to get in so ... No luck there either!

So ... The odd text to Cilla and I did text Alex - have you changed your number?
I am just about to take my first look outside ... Oh yes baby ... Blue skies!!!

Yilongru
May 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
kick out bonbon pleeeease

дalex
May 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM
So ... The odd text to Cilla and I did text Alex - have you changed your number?

No, no, I got the text, just don't have the money to reply. :lol: I was at the tennis when you texted me, but when I came back I informed forum people about you getting to watch Jeca. Zoja, as usual, thinks you should strangle JJ if she keeps playing with our nerves. :p

дalex
May 28th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Serbian media have picked up on everything that has been going on between Jelena and Ana lately. I'm not really into reading Serbian tennis-related articles anymore, but from what I've seen they haven't been biased, they've just accurately reported on what was done and said.

But there's an interview with Serbian FC captain who thinks everything will be fine between them before the next tie, that he's going to Paris and that he will MAYBE bring up this issue.

http://www.pressonline.rs/sr/vesti/sport/story/119496/Vrane%C5%A1%3A+Pomiri%C4%87e+se+Ana+i+Jelena!.html

I hope he doesn't bring this up! Jelena doesn't need to think about this in the middle of a Grand Slam. :weirdo:

-NAJ-
May 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM
did you see this?
http://pressonline.rs/sr/vesti/sport/story/119306/SKANDALOZNO+-+Ana+uvredila+Srbiju!.html

дalex
May 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM
^ Yes, but that's not related to Jelena. :shrug:

-NAJ-
May 28th, 2010, 10:59 PM
No :) but newspapers are always full of negative things and problem Jelena & Ana it's just one story more in media

It's not big deal if someone don't like other person. This is a common thing in world of sport.
btw It's funny to see some people worry about their conflict. "Why she said that, she shouldn't, they should be friends ..."

Snex
May 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
This is Jeja's response to Ana's comment on fistpump:

Ne želim da komentarišem to jer mislim da nije pravo vreme. Svaki igrač ima svoj način na koji motiviše sebe kada osvoji poen, a i kada ne učini to. Ali, mislim da nije lepo pokazivati pesnicu u lice, kao što Ana radi. To pomalo iritira, posebno kada protivnica pogreši. Mislim da to nije fer plej.

Tako nešto ja, kao teniserka, nikada ne bih uradila svojim protivnicama. Ako osvojim poen ja se radujem, ali ne tako. To se posebno tiče mene i Ane jer smo devojke iz iste zemlje i lepo je imati dobar odnos i igrati normalan meč. Naravno, neka od nas mora da pobedi. Obe smo profesionalci, želimo da damo sve na terenu, ali mora da bude i fer pleja. Nemam ništa protiv nje ili njenog slavlja. Igram svoju igru, imam ličnost, i ne interesuje me šta Ana ili ostale devojke rade na terenu. Ali, više volim ponašanje o kakvom sam već pričala.

Would be nice if somebody could translate this because I have some mess here with cables. :mad:

Bruno71
May 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
This is Jeja's response to Ana's comment on fistpump:

Would be nice if somebody could translate this because I have some mess here with cables. :mad:

It's basically translated from her English press conference.

Snex
May 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
It's basically translated from her English press conference.

OK then. I didn't read. ;)

дalex
May 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Jelena's comments after Bondarenko match.
http://sport.blic.rs/Tenis/179044/Jelena-Nisam-igrala-dobro-najvaznije-je-da-idem-dalje

About R3 match:
- The court was muddy, the balls were heavy and slow and that's why there were so many breaks of serve. Every point was long, it was impossible to win easily. Alona didn't give me anything. I had to work extremely hard so I'm happy I was able to win. I know I didn't play well, but the most important is that I got through.

About playing Hantuchova knowing that she lost the last time they played:
- During that FC tie I had some problems with the wrist. But it will be tough now too 'cos Hantuchova is playing very well at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to win just by playing as well as I can.

Optima
Jun 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Seriously, no articles or quotes about the Hantuchova match?

дalex
Jun 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM
^ http://www.novosti.rs/code/navigate.php?Id=13&status=jedna&vest=180742&title_add=Okr%C5%A1aji%20za%20polufinale&kword_add=rolan%20garos

Jeja's quotes:

Jelena doesn't think that the QF opponent will be easier to beat.
- There are no easy opponents anymore. If somebody managed to reach qf stage, they couldn't have done it without playing very well. It means they're in great form. I haven't been following how my next opponent played, but in any case, it's not easy to get to QF of a Slam. I need to be playing well and not underestimate anyone.

Jelena is not too worried about Shvedova's game and she's trying to focus on her own game. She played her 3 times before, but says she doesn't remember much about the matches.
- I need to play my game, do whatever it takes. In my previous match I didn't play that well in the first set, that mustn't happen again. I can't allow my opponent to dictate and start "swingin'" her shots. I need to take the initiative from the start. I hope I can keep up with my good form in the qfinals, too.

After the R3 match against Bondarenko, Jelena studied her serve and why the match featured so many breaks.
- I was thinking about what's happened. I concluded that my serve wasn't so bad that day, but my reactions after return. I wasn't ready for most of those returns and that was the problem, not the serve itself. I payed special attention to that aspect of my game in my next match.

Good quotes, I think. :dance:

MB.
Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_jenkins/06/01/jenkins.french/

Things got tense in the escalating feud between Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic, and while some chastised Jankovic for blatantly mocking Ivanovic's fist-pumping, I thought it was wonderful. Expose it, ridicule it, bring it into public light. This is an outright epidemic on tour, and it needs to be stopped.

Credit Ivanovic for an incisive response: "You know what they say: Sport doesn't build character. It shows it." But Jankovic said the words that count: "When you do that in a player's face, especially after your opponent missed an easy ball, I don't think it's fair play. That can be a little irritating."

Sharapova has reached the point where she's pumping her left fist while checking into a hotel, pouring a cup of tea or brushing her teeth. Henin hasn't shaken that annoying habit of yelling "Allez!" when her opponent screws up, and as the incomparable Mary Carillo said on the NBC telecast during the Sharapova match, "I really wish she'd stop doing that. That really stinks."

As for Ivanovic's post-match comments after a 6-3, 6-0 loss in the second round to Alisa Kleybanova, one can only step back in amazement:

"I don't think I played that bad, actually," she said.

Oh, please. You were awful.

"I didn't think I did too much wrong out there."

Outside of everything, you're right, that's true.

"I really feel I belong at the top."

On the basis of what?

Maybe Ivanovic has simply been worn down by the dreary atmosphere of post-match press conferences, where she hears a lot of idiotic questions, and can't wait to get out of there. Maybe she's just a bit dim. In any case, the tour wouldn't mind seeing a bit of fight from its glamour queen.

Bruce Jenkins strikes again! :worship:

Jajaloo
Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Why is there only 1 JJ press conference on the French Open website? Is she not doing them, or are they just not posting them??

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_jenkins/06/01/jenkins.french/

Bruce Jenkins strikes again! :worship:

Wow, that could've been written by one of us :o

MB.
Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Wow, that could've been written by one of us :o

It was very, very rude, the way it was written, but his point is valid regarding that damn fist pump--and Ana's delusionality in pressers

Literally, getting bageled by Kleybs then pronouncing "I KNOW I BELONG AT THE TOP OF THE GAME." :rolleyes:

At an actual tennis journo spoke up about it. Oh well. Just get back into form, Anci. It's no fun beating you when you're down.

дalex
Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
I don't approve of that latest piece of Mr. Jenkinks. It's one thing when fans get into a useless quarrel on a public forum... As a journalist he should know better, he should at least try not to come off as a total jerk. His arguments would probably be taken more seriously.

And yes, Ana must know she belongs at the top if she's able to play her best tennis. That's not the case at the moment and maybe she shouldn't have said that, but it's only normal that she feels this way.

~Kiera~
Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2010-06-02/201006021275492670332.html

Q. How did you feel today?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I felt good. You know, it was first day that was sunny, so it was different kind of play. And overall, you know, for me it was a tough match. I'm happy to get through and be in semifinal.

Q. You had some bad memories with this player. How did you prepare this match?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I lost to her in US Open, but the last time we played I won. I just wanted to go out there and play my game. I knew what to expect from her. You know, she's a big girl. She can hit, you know, really hard and go after her shots.

I had to focus on some things. I'm glad that I was able to win.

Q. This is your third semifinal in Roland Garros. Is this going to be your favorite Grand Slam tournament?

JELENA JANKOVIC: What is this mean?

Q. You play well. This is your third semifinal, so is it going to be your favorite Grand Slam tournament?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I really like this tournament a lot. You know, it's one of my favorites. You know, I hope that I can have better luck and get through the semifinal. I will have a tough match.

You know, for now I'm happy to be in the semifinal, but I look forward, you know, to playing tomorrow. I just want to try my best, and I hope that I can go to the final.

Q. One word about Samantha Stosur.

JELENA JANKOVIC: She plays really well. She's beaten two really good players, Justine and Serena. Shows she's in top form.

It will be a tough match. I have played against her, you know, this year but on hardcourt. So this will be a different match. We're playing on clay. I just want to go out there and play my game and give my maximum, and what happens, happens.

Q. What happened in the beginning of the match? Because we saw that Shvedova was actually leading you. She had 2 games to 0. You seemed to have a bit of difficulty getting into the match. Can you just explain what went wrong and what you found most difficult about Shvedova?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, overall I had a slow start. You know, I got broken in the first game of the match, and she took her opportunities. She played really well in the beginning, especially in the beginning of the first set.

She was really loose; she was going after her shots; she did really no mistake; she served very well, had a lot of first serves in.

But then I just tried to stay positive, and I waited for my chances. I started to get, you know, a look at her second serve. That's where I tried to be aggressive, and I tried to attack and put pressure on her.
That was the key, especially in that first set. Because then she backed up, and I could, you know, play more offensively and take that first set.

It was tough. I mean, she played really well.

Q. Can you tell us the defining moment? What was the turning point in the game where you really came back to win?

JELENA JANKOVIC: It was basically, you know, as soon as I broke her, you know, to level the match in the first set.

You know, I got my confidence back, and, you know, I started serving much better. You know, I saw that, you know, I just have to be patient and wait for my chances.

Then when I have them, I have to take them, because she's like I said, she can serve very, very well.

If you don't return, you know, deep or something, she can hit, you know, just winners off of everything.

oleada
Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I don't approve of that latest piece of Mr. Jenkinks. It's one thing when fans get into a useless quarrel on a public forum... As a journalist he should know better, he should at least try not to come off as a total jerk. His arguments would probably be taken more seriously.

And yes, Ana must know she belongs at the top if she's able to play her best tennis. That's not the case at the moment and maybe she shouldn't have said that, but it's only normal that she feels this way.

I agree with you. He came across as a petty asshole.

I do think Ana does come across as dim when she says she thinks she played well and she's being bageled by Kleybanova, but that's probably what she feels she has to say for the media. Mr. Jenkins could have worded that a lot better.

дalex
Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
That Jeja's interview is way too short. But she showed good attitude. :yeah:

I do think Ana does come across as dim when she says she thinks she played well and she's being bageled by Kleybanova, but that's probably what she feels she has to say for the media. Mr. Jenkins could have worded that a lot better.

She often comes across dim because of her ridiculous assessments of her game, but this time I actually thought she wasn't playing that bad, it's just that she wasn't mentally tough on important points and Kleyba brought her GOAT game she usually brings against the Serbs. Granted, I watched only bits of that match, but I heard that most of the games went to deuce. I dunno. :shrug: Either way there wasn't any need for that article. He already made his point on fistpump issue in his previous article. This one was one too many I think. :lol:

Brena
Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM

Stop confusing JJ, you naughty journalists, you know?

Wrekin
Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
That Jeja's interview is way too short.

Still long enough for 20 'you knows' :lol:

For once, I pasted it into Word and did an auto search and destroy on them :angel:.

The result is much more lucid. She actually knows how to express herself.

Q. How did you feel today?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I felt good. it was first day that was sunny, so it was different kind of play. And overall, for me it was a tough match. I'm happy to get through and be in semifinal.

Q. You had some bad memories with this player. How did you prepare this match?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I lost to her in US Open, but the last time we played I won. I just wanted to go out there and play my game. I knew what to expect from her. she's a big girl. She can hit, really hard and go after her shots.

I had to focus on some things. I'm glad that I was able to win.

Q. This is your third semifinal in Roland Garros. Is this going to be your favorite Grand Slam tournament?

Q. You play well. This is your third semifinal, so is it going to be your favorite Grand Slam tournament?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I really like this tournament a lot. it's one of my favorites. I hope that I can have better luck and get through the semifinal. I will have a tough match.

for now I'm happy to be in the semifinal, but I look forward, to playing tomorrow. I just want to try my best, and I hope that I can go to the final.

Q. One word about Samantha Stosur.

JELENA JANKOVIC: She plays really well. She's beaten two really good players, Justine and Serena. Shows she's in top form.

It will be a tough match. I have played against her, this year but on hardcourt. So this will be a different match. We're playing on clay. I just want to go out there and play my game and give my maximum, and what happens, happens.

Q. What happened in the beginning of the match? Because we saw that Shvedova was actually leading you. She had 2 games to 0. You seemed to have a bit of difficulty getting into the match. Can you just explain what went wrong and what you found most difficult about Shvedova?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, overall I had a slow start. I got broken in the first game of the match, and she took her opportunities. She played really well in the beginning, especially in the beginning of the first set.

She was really loose; she was going after her shots; she did really no mistake; she served very well, had a lot of first serves in.

But then I just tried to stay positive, and I waited for my chances. I started to get, a look at her second serve. That's where I tried to be aggressive, and I tried to attack and put pressure on her.
That was the key, especially in that first set. Because then she backed up, and I could, play more offensively and take that first set.

It was tough. I mean, she played really well.

Q. Can you tell us the defining moment? What was the turning point in the game where you really came back to win?

JELENA JANKOVIC: It was basically, as soon as I broke her, to level the match in the first set.

I got my confidence back, and, I started serving much better. I saw that, I just have to be patient and wait for my chances.

Then when I have them, I have to take them, because she's like I said, she can serve very, very well.

If you don't return, deep or something, she can hit, just winners off of everything.

Bruno71
Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
You know, you know? :woohoo:

дalex
Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.novosti.rs/code/navigate.php?Id=13&status=jedna&vest=180809&title_add=Nazire%20se%20finale!&kword_add=jelena%20jankovic%2C%20rolan%20garos

Wasps and ladybugs were attacking me. They probably think I'm a flower! It's because my dress is bright yellow, I guess. All these different bugs were flying around me. Especially when I was on serve, when they went after me, it's hard to get rid of them.

:lol:

JJ's biatch
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
:rolls: I hope Jaja will use her flower power to beat Sam today! :)

Bobisa
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Wasps and ladybugs were attacking me. They probably think I'm a flower! It's because my dress is bright yellow, I guess. All these different bugs were flying around me. Especially when I was on serve, when they went after me, it's hard to get rid of them.
:rolls: http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif

~Kiera~
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
https://twitter.com/piersnewbery

Stosur now on Chatrier, just watched Jankovic practising on Ct14 and overheard her very specific gameplan. Sworn to secrecy though.

Jajaloo
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM

:haha: :haha:

дalex
Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well, I knew she was gonna prepare a plan, a right one at that. Hopefully it starts paying off from the start and gives her extra confidence.

Brena
Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Well, I knew she was gonna prepare a plan, a right one at that. Hopefully it starts paying off from the start and gives her extra confidence.

JJ's and Chip's cunning plan: Try not to lose. Somehow.

Mlle Bruni
Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.novosti.rs/code/navigate.php?Id=13&status=jedna&vest=180809&title_add=Nazire%20se%20finale!&kword_add=jelena%20jankovic%2C%20rolan%20garos

First she felt like a butterfly. Now she's a flower. :hearts:

-NAJ-
Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2010-06-03/201006031275581249458.html
S. STOSUR/J. Jankovic

6‑1, 6‑2

Q. You just couldn't seem to find your way into the match there, huh?

JELENA JANKOVIC: The whole time I didn't really have a rhythm. Samantha played really well. She served well. Overall, you know, she played quite solid.

But, you know, I felt heavy on my feet. I didn't really move out there. You know, that resulted in a negative way on every shot, because especially on the return I didn't have a good reaction.

And then, you know, when I got into, you know, some of the points, when I had chances, I made, you know, bad mistakes. I just ‑‑ you know, it wasn't me. It wasn't my game out there. Unfortunately, I lost. She was the better player today.

Q. So was it nerves? I mean, second set you're up 2‑0, 40‑15 looked like maybe you had some kind of chance to get into it there.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I wasn't nervous at all.

I just maybe ‑‑ you know, I started the match, you know, kind of cold, maybe because, you know, that match, the first match finished quite quickly.

So we had like 10, 15 minutes to get ready. I got kind of into the match quite cold, and, you know, I had a tough time moving.

For some reason, I just never got into the match. You know, at 2‑Love I had 40‑15, but it's just sluggish, kind of.

You know, maybe it would have been maybe ‑‑ you know, would make, you know, some kind of difference if I led 3‑Love. You never know.

But overall, I couldn't find my game out there. It was just difficult for me.

Q. You played her twice on hardcourts: Indian Wells, Miami. Can you just talk about the difference playing her on clay? It seems like everything she's hitting is pretty huge now.

JELENA JANKOVIC: She's a strong girl. You can see, you know, by looking at her physically. You know, she can hit pretty big, and she has one of the strongest serves, you know, in the women's game.

And especially, you know, for me, I have a good return. I always had and I never had kind of a problem, you know, returning these kind of big serves.

But I just ‑‑ you know, it's very important to have a good reaction, to react. I just fell flat. So every time, you know, I felt late. I felt like too far from the ball. I never hit a clean ball.

So that was a problem. And, you know, she took advantage of that. She won the match, and that is what counts.

Q. There were four women, none of whom had won a Grand Slam, so it's a big opportunity. Are you angry at yourself?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, I'm angry. You know, it's not easy not to lose like this, but it's the way the game goes. I just have to stay positive, and I will have another chance.

Q. A lot of players, including Pete Sampras, you know, have ‑ and Stefan Edberg at the US Open ‑ have kind of come to a moment at one point in their career where they said, you know, I'm better than this. I can't make excuses. I shouldn't be losing these matches. Does that ever play into your thinking, or do you think that's a legitimate question to ask yourself?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. You know, in this moment it's tough to say all this. But, you know, in this particular match today, I just ‑‑ I don't know what happened, but I just ‑‑ you know, she was the better player.

I mean, she did what she had to do. You know, she played her game. I wasn't even 20% of my ability, so that shows. When we played in Indian Wells and I was, you know, on my game, I was playing aggressively, I returned well. I won in two easy sets.

Today I was just I wasn't like myself. I don't even know who that was on the court.

Q. She's obviously a player who has been around for a while. As a singles player, a decent one but never one of the top 5 or 10 players. Now she's looking like she is beating Justine and Serena and you consecutively. How is she doing it? Are you surprised at the kind of leap that she's made?

JELENA JANKOVIC: To be honest, she kind of has like almost the game of a man. That's what it feels like. When I look at how the men play, she has kind of a similar ‑‑ she has a very good kick, which not many women can ‑‑ not women have. It's a very heavy, you know, spin.

And then, you know, she runs around the forehand. You know, she has that kind of, and, you know, it's showing. She's been very impressive the last I don't know how many months. She has had pretty good results.

Q. I was going to say, she wasn't doing this two years ago, three years ago, five years ago.

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know, but she's playing very well in this moment, and it's showing. I mean, she has improved so much, and I think mentally she's much better. Because before I think that's what was, you know, maybe one of her weaknesses.

Q. Is it hard to play someone who never shows emotion? She never seems to be upset or nervous or...

JELENA JANKOVIC: She does show emotions. Can you see that when you are playing against her.

You just ‑‑ you can see, you know, when a player is down or when a player has the momentum and is confident. But you don't really ‑‑ and especially for me today, when I was playing, I wasn't really looking at her so much.

I was looking to get my game going and get myself going out there, but unfortunately it never happened.

Q. Sorry to ask, but who do you think would have a better chance in the final, Samantha or Francesca?

JELENA JANKOVIC: You know, so far, you know, I think Samantha has a very big chance. She played so well this tournament, and she has beaten, you know, I think the favorites of this tournament.

So I think she has a good chance. You know, she's playing very, very well. I think she'll do it.

Bruno71
Jun 4th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I wasn't even 20% of my ability
Very very disappointed with this interview.

RFS
Jun 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM
wel at least she acknowledged that Sam outplayed her.
Although I always cringe when ANYONE (not just our GOAT) makes comments of "it's like playing a man"...

At the end of the day JJ.... this is yet another chance gone begging.
The only person who can fix this is you.
Justine is a slight person, who has found a way to stay up with the big hitters.
It IS possible.

I don't know what the fix is... but time is running out.

Cilla
Jun 4th, 2010, 09:01 AM

The entire answer to that question sounds like Serena :rolleyes:

terjw
Jun 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM

I'm very disappointed with her loss and her play yesterday but not sure what you are disappointed with her interview about. She's clearly very disappointed with her own performance. She gave credit to Sam and 20% was probably about right from the part of the replay I came in when the score was 2-1 up in the 2nd set aad watched to the end.

If you think she was detracting from Sam and being a sore loser - I suggest you reread the whole interview. If it's because of how she played and that she missed an opportunity - I thought it was clear from that interview that she felt the pain and was clearly disappointed with herself. But there are no easy fixes. It's not as if it's a rare thing for her to play badly. She couldn't nail Rome or Madrid after having opportunities so why do we expect her to take RG and be able to necessarily pull out her best against the hottest player in the tournament. And yes - time is running out and an opportunity went by - but just saying that doesn't really help her.

At least she's better than a year ago and is actually getting an opportunity. It doesn't look like she knows why it went wrong - but she now must find a way of reducing the number of times she fires on 20% or 50% while keeping up being aggressive and getting opportunities. The thing that is killing her right now is the number of matches she's not playing at her best - better than last year but not there yet. Until she does get the number of 20%, 50% matches down - she's not winning a GS. But I'm not ready to call it a day yet and say she can't.

But I really can't see what's wrong with her interview. Her voice mind you sounded very croaky.

Brena
Jun 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
^I agree. The interview is ok. What else was she supposed to say?
However, if I were her, I'd have faced the journalists only with a paper-bag over my head after having played such an embarrassing match.

ayliya
Jun 4th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Is JJ playing any warm up tournaments before Wimby?

Bruno71
Jun 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm very disappointed with her loss and her play yesterday but not sure what you are disappointed with her interview about. She's clearly very disappointed with her own performance. She gave credit to Sam and 20% was probably about right from the part of the replay I came in when the score was 2-1 up in the 2nd set aad watched to the end.

If you think she was detracting from Sam and being a sore loser - I suggest you reread the whole interview. If it's because of how she played and that she missed an opportunity - I thought it was clear from that interview that she felt the pain and was clearly disappointed with herself. But there are no easy fixes. It's not as if it's a rare thing for her to play badly. She couldn't nail Rome or Madrid after having opportunities so why do we expect her to take RG and be able to necessarily pull out her best against the hottest player in the tournament. And yes - time is running out and an opportunity went by - but just saying that doesn't really help her.

At least she's better than a year ago and is actually getting an opportunity. It doesn't look like she knows why it went wrong - but she now must find a way of reducing the number of times she fires on 20% or 50% while keeping up being aggressive and getting opportunities. The thing that is killing her right now is the number of matches she's not playing at her best - better than last year but not there yet. Until she does get the number of 20%, 50% matches down - she's not winning a GS. But I'm not ready to call it a day yet and say she can't.

But I really can't see what's wrong with her interview. Her voice mind you sounded very croaky.

However, if I were her, I'd have faced the journalists only with a paper-bag over my head after having played such an embarrassing match.

Whatever guys, stop excusing her. No matter what her "percentage" actually was, you don't detract from your opponent's victory by stating what you think it was. I also have a very hard time seeing that performance as 20%. She wasn't ill that we know of, she had 2 legs...it's just a very Serena-like thing to say. And Serena is at least a 12-time slam winner.

The rest of the interview was fine.

Brena
Jun 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Whatever guys, stop excusing her. No matter what her "percentage" actually was, you don't detract from your opponent's victory by stating what you think it was. I also have a very hard time seeing that performance as 20%. She wasn't ill that we know of, she had 2 legs...it's just a very Serena-like thing to say. And Serena is at least a 12-time slam winner.

What I meant is that for an idiot of JJ's epic proporations, it's a perfectly OK interview. ;)

terjw
Jun 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM

Nothing to excuse her interview for as far as I'm concerned. We want to know what she thought of Sam and she was complimentary - which you've chosen to ignore - and also what she thought of her own play. Jeez do you want a puppy type in denial interview in which she says everything is coming together and I'm playing so much better. We'd accuse her of being in denial or not caring then. She did not say anything negative about Sam like she hit lucky shots or she was playing bad and weird and then I started playing bad so I lost.

Bruno71
Jun 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Nothing to excuse her interview for as far as I'm concerned. We want to know what she thought of Sam and she was complimentary - which you've chosen to ignore - and also what she thought of her own play. Jeez do you want a puppy type in denial interview in which she says everything is coming together and I'm playing so much better. We'd accuse her of being in denial or not caring then. She did not say anything negative about Sam like she hit lucky shots or she was playing bad and weird and then I started playing bad so I lost.

Come on, admit it, 20% is a gross exaggeration. 20% would literally be her hopping on one foot. It's a drama queen self-excusal. I still love her you know ;)

ChriS.
Jun 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM

The rest of the interview was fine.I agree that it was not the best thing to say. I think she should just credit Sam, which she did, because the reason JJ was so flat was probably because of how well Sam was playing in this match and in the tournament so far. I think JJ was ready for the match but her tactics did not work. I think a lot of matches are decided in the first few games. It was just not JJ's day. On another day I see her beating Sam again. This really was a fantastic chance for JJ but Sam was on a mission.

terjw
Jun 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Come on, admit it, 20% is a gross exaggeration. 20% would literally be her hopping on one foot. It's a drama queen self-excusal. I still love her you know ;)

Now I finally understand your point. Yep - 20% is drama queen like :lol: - that's just the way Jelena says things and until you analysed it with a tooth comb - the last thing I thought was this could be construed as a diss on Sam. OK fair enough when you analyse every word like that - but I really don't want her to change the way she says things and to clam up and try to be more diplomatic when there will always be something if you analyse every word for a meaning that's not there.

What I wanted to know is what she thought about her play and she told me that in her interview. And to me it really isn't putting Sam down in any way at all. Her lack of movement can't be totally explained by the way Sam was playing. She's played against power players and she has moved well and got to the ball. She plays well against the Williams.

I like that she gives a straight answer to questions on her opponent and herself. Yep she can be a drama queen but I don't want puppy type interviews when asked about herself - "I'm so exciting to have made SF. With Chip Brooks I've improved so much and I was playing so well and so much better than before"

So we have to agree to differ what we think about her interview. I just don't see it as an "excuse" by her. And I don't see it as me making "excuses" for her when I dom't think there's anything wrong with it.

terjw
Jun 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I agree that it was not the best thing to say. I think she should just credit Sam, which she did, because the reason JJ was so flat was probably because of how well Sam was playing in this match and in the tournament so far. I think JJ was ready for the match but her tactics did not work. I think a lot of matches are decided in the first few games. It was just not JJ's day. On another day I see her beating Sam again. This really was a fantastic chance for JJ but Sam was on a mission.

The trouble is how do you honestly explain the Indian Wells match and this match without someone analysing every word you say and taking offence. Does she say it's all down to Sam - Sam played bad at IW and so well at RG and I have no control over that. Hmm that doesn't sound good saying Sam was bad at IW. Maybe the bland I was great against her at IW and she was great here. But that's just dodging an answer what if she played here like at IW.

She knows she can play better than she did against power players. And although Sam was on a mission and playing well - she doesn't believe that her flatness and lack of movement was totally down to Sam's play and that she can never do anything about itv when a player plays like that. Does she keep stumm. I think she has a duty to those who want to hear what she thinks to answer the question truhfully so long as she has also given an answer on hopw well Sam played.

She can I suppose dodge the question and try to be diplomatic. But whatever you do then - someone will take issue. Look at the "her game is like a man plays" thing. Or she can just give straight answers the way she sees it - and just answer the questions about how Sam played and how she felt she played.

дalex
Jun 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Jankovic: "I'm very angry with myself"
http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Sport/Tenis/Jankovic-Mnogo-sam-ljuta-na-sebe.sr.html

Mostly there are quotes from her post match interview, but this respectable Serbian paper says that Chip Brooks decided to go back to US and quit on coaching Jelena. They are speculating that he was probably so disappointed with this result and thus decided to stop coaching her.

Does this sound credible? As far as I know he was never a full time coach, he was supposed to be with her at GS's and at big tourneys in US. Maybe they misunderstood sth and they just went home and will be back together at Wimbledon? Or was he so disappointed he decided Jelena is not worth the effort? :speakles:

She also said that maybe after she'd seen Schiavone made it into finals, she thought she was so close to winning the whole thing. Then she realized that her semifinal match was basically an early final.

That sounds like she's admitting to being nervous and that's not what she said in her official interview. Anyway, it's a wrong mentality. Obviously she has plenty to learn still.

LoLex
Jun 5th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I feel confused now :speakles:

Mlle Bruni
Jun 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think he would give up on her only because of one match.

дalex
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Personally, I don't think he quit on her. I mean I was always like WTF when Serbian commentators/journalist talked about Chip being Jelena's coach since March. Yes, he was helping her, coaching her, but he was NOT her COACH. And I think they will keep on working together on part-time basis until Empress decides otherwise. :lol:

But maybe it would be good for her if he was to ditch her, maybe it would help her improve her attitude.

Jajaloo
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think he would give up on her only because of one match.

Yeah exactly. Like I said in the thread in GM, he most likely has commitments back at the Bollettieri academy, and their partnership was not meant as a long term thing.

Was he even with her in Stuttgart or Rome?

I'm glad JJ isn't playing any warm up grass tournaments. No need to bother. Rest up, do your best at Wimbledon, maybe give more than 20% and get to 4R and tank. USO series is coming up!!!

terjw
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm really shocked at this news that they have parted. I really liked this partnership and it seemed it was really helping Jelena. I know he wasn't her full time coach anyway but right now I'm really fearful that Jelena will slide backwards without him.

ms_nut
Jun 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM

:lol: Exactly.

It's not a Serena style response. Serena usually says, "i played the worst match of my life, my opponent played the match of her life and the score was still close."

What's this about JJ not working with Chip anymore, not even on a part time basis? Maybe she needs to start working with a former GS champion to instill the champion mentality in her. Monica Seles would be perfect..:hearts:

RFS
Jun 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Well I know she was pleased he'd decided to stay for RG - so I thought he'd actually extended his time a little for her...

ChriS.
Jun 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Jankovic: "I'm very angry with myself"
http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Sport/Tenis/Jankovic-Mnogo-sam-ljuta-na-sebe.sr.html

Mostly there are quotes from her post match interview, but this respectable Serbian paper says that Chip Brooks decided to go back to US and quit on coaching Jelena. They are speculating that he was probably so disappointed with this result and thus decided to stop coaching her.

Does this sound credible? As far as I know he was never a full time coach, he was supposed to be with her at GS's and at big tourneys in US. Maybe they misunderstood sth and they just went home and will be back together at Wimbledon? Or was he so disappointed he decided Jelena is not worth the effort? :speakles:

She also said that maybe after she'd seen Schiavone made it into finals, she thought she was so close to winning the whole thing. Then she realized that her semifinal match was basically an early final.

That sounds like she's admitting to being nervous and that's not what she said in her official interview. Anyway, it's a wrong mentality. Obviously she has plenty to learn still.This is my take on it. She thought the title was hers if she beat Sam and this somehow affected her. Anyway, if she got to the final and lost to Fran everyone would have ridiculed her.

Bruno71
Jun 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Now I finally understand your point. Yep - 20% is drama queen like :lol: - that's just the way Jelena says things and until you analysed it with a tooth comb - the last thing I thought was this could be construed as a diss on Sam. OK fair enough when you analyse every word like that - but I really don't want her to change the way she says things and to clam up and try to be more diplomatic when there will always be something if you analyse every word for a meaning that's not there.

What I wanted to know is what she thought about her play and she told me that in her interview. And to me it really isn't putting Sam down in any way at all. Her lack of movement can't be totally explained by the way Sam was playing. She's played against power players and she has moved well and got to the ball. She plays well against the Williams.

I like that she gives a straight answer to questions on her opponent and herself. Yep she can be a drama queen but I don't want puppy type interviews when asked about herself - "I'm so exciting to have made SF. With Chip Brooks I've improved so much and I was playing so well and so much better than before"

So we have to agree to differ what we think about her interview. I just don't see it as an "excuse" by her. And I don't see it as me making "excuses" for her when I dom't think there's anything wrong with it.

I like her honesty too, but still believe there has to be some level of self-check. After all, we wouldn't want JJ to start saying stuff like "oh that Ana, she's such a bitch." :lol:

Given what happened in the final, I'm not sure playing first strike tennis was the smart way to go against Sam anyway. What a missed opportunity this RG was, but I have to just :rolleyes: and say congrats to Fran, who got the best lifetime achievement award there was and is so entertaining in her own right.

Kampi
Jun 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I like her honesty too, but still believe there has to be some level of self-check. After all, we wouldn't want JJ to start saying stuff like "oh that Ana, she's such a bitch." :lol:

Given what happened in the final, I'm not sure playing first strike tennis was the smart way to go against Sam anyway. What a missed opportunity this RG was, but I have to just :rolleyes: and say congrats to Fran, who got the best lifetime achievement award there was and is so entertaining in her own right.

That's exactly what I'm still thinking and even more after todays final. Why in gods name did she play such a bad, bad match in the semis. Seriously, for me it definitely was not only because Sam was pretty good. She seemed like someone who is still in bed, not ready for a match or something. So many errors and stuff. It was a big bad headshaker for me. But this is the past, but well......it was really such a missed opportunity. Just go on with the hard work or even work harder...change something, but please do it quick. Nothing more to say here.

terjw
Jun 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM

Unless there is some exceptional controversy - and that doesn't apply here - I think that the level of self check you mention at the first pass is simple and no way did Jelena cross it. It is that you compliment your opponent in the match and say the things she did well in the match and caused you trouble. But then you can be as hard as you like on your own play if you think you played badly and say it in your own imitable style. This is a first pass well defined line. Once you stray away from that and say she can't criticise herself or only criticise herself if she uses this word but not that word because it detracts from her opponent - you are just into a grey area where you are giving the OK for someone to analyse each word she says to the nth degreee and find some meaning which simply isn't there.

At the next pass - I think it's sometimes OK to say something on the lines of what your opponent perhaps should have done better or you handled better if you won - but I can understand that getting taken badly or can look like rubbing it in and gets more difficult. Anyway - that isn't the case here.

-NAJ-
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
new blog,
http://www.jj-jelenajankovic.com/eng/blog.php

Dear all,
The time has come for the good old Wimbledon! I haven't written you for a while, since the "Volcano episode", when I desperately sat by the computer for days, searching for the first flight to Belgrade. Lots of things happened in the mean time, and the most beautiful ones were the finals in Rome and reaching the semis in Roland Garros. I am satisfied with the way I ended clay court season.
http://www.jj-jelenajankovic.com/slikeblog/78_1m.jpg

I played lots of good matches, scored great victories which helped me to return among the best four players in the world. It could have been better, as it always can, but I am not complaining about the results, since I always try to be positive and I go only forward. I ended the clay court season by playing semis in the second Grand Slam of the season, which is traditionally played in Paris. It was my third semis in "the City of light", and honestly, I though I was going to end the tournament by standing on the winner pedestal, but it could have been that this great desire deconcentrated me from reaching my goal.

Just after the competition has ended in Paris I came to Belgrade, where I finally managed to stay at home for ten days in a row, with my family and friends, having a rest, watching movies and enjoying our cuisine. I really missed Serbian cuisine :-)
I have been practicing and preparing every day at Gemax, on carpet indoors. I filled my energy supplies in good surrounding, among people who love me and whom I love. Now a new competitition is waiting for me, a new challenge on London's grass for which I will have a new white dress made by ANTA. You will see, it will be simple and lovely. I also have a new handbag, which is quite interesting.

http://www.jj-jelenajankovic.com/slikeblog/78_5m.jpg
I travel to the "Island" today, and will immediately start with practicing on grass, and with the serious preparations for Wimbledon.
Thank you very much for the unlimited support and love I constantly receive from you. It means a lot to me, and gives me strenght for everything I go through in the job I do.

Hope to make you happy from London! I promise that I will give my best!

I love you,
your JJ

~Kiera~
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Would it not have been a better idea to practice on actual grass if she's not going to play a warm-up tournament? :shrug:

RFS
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
She knows it's tennis here? :tennis: And not boxing?? :boxing:
:shrug:

~Kiera~
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
She knows it's tennis here? :tennis: And not boxing?? :boxing:
:shrug:

Poor JJ gets terribly confused sometimes :awww:

дalex
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Would it not have been a better idea to practice on actual grass if she's not going to play a warm-up tournament? :shrug:

4/5 days of practice on grass is more than enough for goats like Jecalina. :lol:

I'd say this little rest in Belgrade and "Serbian cuisine" did her good.

RFS
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
At least she admitted she'd skipped ahead and seen herself winning RG (as we thought) and took her eye of winning the goddamn SEMIFINAL FIRST!!!!

Pffft....

Who knows... maybe a complete break and just sharpening up that serve might be what she needed.

Then again... this is our bleaty goat we're talking about!

Brena
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
At least she admitted she'd skipped ahead and seen herself winning RG (as we thought) and took her eye of winning the goddamn SEMIFINAL FIRST!!!!

Pffft....

Who knows... maybe a complete break and just sharpening up that serve might be what she needed.

GOATs like JJ shouldn't be required to play SFs. Especially not against nobodies like Sam Stosur. JJGOAT was insulted she had to play that unnecessary match and lost out of spite!

~Kiera~
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
From twitter

Arrived in London this morning and now getting ready for my first practice here in a little bit.

Tashi
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
[delusional] Guys don't worry! Indoor carpet is JUST like grass. She will do awesome at Wimbledon! [delusional]

JadeFox
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
[delusional] Guys don't worry! Indoor carpet is JUST like grass. She will do awesome at Wimbledon! [delusional]

I'll join you in your delusional optimism. The new grass GOAT is definitely JJ! :worship:

Illusionist
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM

The carpet at Gemax is crazy. Trust me, it's a very fast surface, equally or even more faster than the grass. And besides, she's already in London, she has enough time to adapt.

Bruno71
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM
4/5 days of practice on grass is more than enough for goats like Jecalina. :lol:

I'd say this little rest in Belgrade and "Serbian cuisine" did her good.

I think it did her good in 2008 as well when she went mountaineering instead of playing grass court warmups. Of course, then she broke a nail and didn't retire against Tanasugarn :rolleyes:

Pffft....

Yeah, she looked past Stosur. I have a bridge to sell too :spit:

дalex
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM
An article about WTA tour, players' attitudes and relations...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/19/wimbledon-womens-tennis-emma-brockes

This is the bit that involves Jelena:

The sponsorship potential for the likes of Oudin – young, pretty, American, top 15, who describes herself, winningly, as "just like a normal teenager" – is huge. If she stays in the game, she will be competing for the most lucrative and glamorous deals with immediate seniors such as Wozniacki, who is dressed on court by Stella McCartney ("She's very nice," Wozniacki says) and Jelena Jankovic, who comes off court, slumps in a chair and examines her well-painted fingernails like a truculent teen. There is a large, diamanté crucifix around her neck. "We are entertainers, as well, on court, in our own sporty way," Jankovic says. "We entertain the fans, they pay money to watch us play. It's nice to see girls who are feminine, who dress nice. Maybe in the past there were only a couple of players like that, but now players pay more attention to it. I was one of those painting my nails different colours and matching them to my dress. If you are in a nice dress you can play better, feel better. More comfortable and confident."

Sam Stosur, the Australian No1 and world No7, who this month lost in the French Open final, snorts and rolls her eyes at this logic. "I think it'd be nice if women's tennis was recognised for how well we all play, rather than for what we're wearing this week. All the players would agree that, at the end of the day, they'd rather be winning matches in tournaments than being at parties and showing off their latest fashion lines. Sometimes I think it gets forgotten that's what we do."

What did she think about the fuss around Venus's pants? "It's silly. Who knows what she was thinking when she was designing that skirt."

Also, some headlines from British papers about her R1 match...
Laura Robson's Centre Court test will be harder than her GCSEs
• Rocking Robson: Laura Robson will take her place on Centre Court after men's defending champion Roger Federer
Robson set for tough Centre Court debut
Laura Robson eyes Wimbledon upset after draw pits her against Jankovic
• Robson v Jelena Jankovic set to be played on Centre Court

Mikey.
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Oh god. :scared: Laura, please don't go channelling Mel! :bolt:

I want a 4th round at least! :(:(:(

~Kiera~
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Quote by Ana, posted on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Curtos07). I'm not sure where it originally came from.

I think we have a team that can win Fed Cup one day. But until the atmosphere in the team isn't like it is now, that won't happen.

Well, Ana. If you turned up for Fed Cup ties and didn't fistpump in people's faces, I'm sure the atmosphere would be fine ;)

MB.
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Well, Ana. If you turned up for Fed Cup ties and didn't fistpump in people's faces, I'm sure the atmosphere would be fine ;)

HAH!

Mikey.
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM

:sobbing:

ce
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
ana speaks crap, please dont play Fed Cup again :wavey:

Bruno71
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Quote by Ana, posted on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Curtos07). I'm not sure where it originally came from.

Some tweeter needs to tweet her that on twitter.

MB.
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Some tweeter needs to tweet her that on twitter.

It's her Twitter account, but she doesn't run it--someone on her team does

terjw
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:54 PM
It's her Twitter account, but she doesn't run it--someone on her team does

Yeah - I thought she said she didn't want to twitter and wasn't into that sort of thing.

-NAJ-
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:15 AM
http://zurnal.rs/2010/06/19/madjarovski-vidim-dzej%E2%80%93dzej-opet-na-broju-1/index.html

Mađarovski: I see JJ at No. 1 again
http://zurnal.rs/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/madjarovski.jpg

Together they cleared the way to the top junior, and now jointly planning a return to professional throne. Jelena Jankovic, Darko Mađarovski were a decade ago newspapers were better tennis Serbia's future, and today he helps her to again rule the tennis world.

- I'm sparring partner, I take care about Jelena on tournaments - explains Mađarovski role.

Jelena's 2008th the best in the world. Why is not?

- Before she went back to the top, she lost the aggressiveness of the game - once explained 15th junior world - retired in the defence, and now it is again aggressive, she tries to be inside of court when hitting. She really well prepared in Miami in March, particularly shape.

Why not win so regularly as before?

- It depends on the moment, as it fits the whole mosaic of games, injuries, physical preparation
How much more can be achieved?

- I see Jelena again the number 1, even this year. On the other two Grand Slam can earn a lot of points. In the last three months is the rise, and the other players from the top of the dam a lot of points.

full interview with Darko Madjarovski
=>
thanks to gaviotabr (http://www.tennisforum.com/member.php?u=54799)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9885/59749907.jpg

MB.
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
LOL the presser for JJ...I SWEAR that one 'question' came from Nick Bollitieri to Jelena that was literally a compliment, not even a question. Something about how good her BH DTL is and how today she had 12 winners off her FH DTL and how 'I was really proud of you.'. Really, Nick? Now's the time, during her presser for compliments?

дalex
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM
I thought it was Bud Collins, her #1 journalist fan? :lol:

MB.
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
I thought it was Bud Collins, her #1 journalist fan? :lol:

Haha, the last three seconds of the presser, as she stands up and walks away, you hear her look straight ahead and say 'Nick! How are you?'..and it sounded like a really old man ;)

Oh Jeco. We'll always be her #2 biggest fans--right after Nick.

дalex
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM
R1 Interview... so many "you know" :sobbing:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-21/201006211277120027561.html

You know, especially, you know, her first serve. I think her second serve can, you know, be attacked.

:cheer:

дalex
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
But, you know, my only goal was to, you know, start, you know, the point by, you know, returning, getting the return in.

4 you know's in a sentence! FOUR! I'm dying here! :haha:

-NAJ-
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/news/20100621/ranking-watch-jelena-joins-top-3-again_2256076_2075802

Ranking Watch: Jelena Joins Top 3 Again
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/javaImages/c5/1e/0,,12781~8855237,00.jpg
There was some shuffling with the Top 10 on the new rankings led by a former No.1 making a move up.

Jelena Jankovic, despite not playing a grass court event prior to Wimbledon, went from No.4 to No.3, switching places with Caroline Wozniacki after the Dane was unable to defend her title at Eastbourne last week. The Serb has earned the spot, though, for her year has included a title at Indian Wells, runner-up showing in Rome and semifinal appearance at Roland Garros. This is her highest ranking since she was also No.3 in March 2009, and she has a good chance to maintain that position, as she is not defending many points at the All-England Club, having only reached the third round there last year, while Wozniacki made it to the fourth round.

~Kiera~
Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/7845156/Wimbledon-2010-Laura-Robson-shows-flashes-of-genius-in-battling-first-round-defeat.html

The puritan princess of British tennis, Robson does at least have something in common with the demure Jankovic, who once turned down £300,000 to remove her sports bra for Playboy.

Where did they get that information from? :lol:

Brena
Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/7845156/Wimbledon-2010-Laura-Robson-shows-flashes-of-genius-in-battling-first-round-defeat.html

:speakles:
JJ takes her underwear off only for free.

дalex
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah right, like Jeca would have turned down £300,000! :spit:

Just Do It
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
300 000k ? They should offer her a million :)

Brena
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah right, like Jeca would have turned down £300,000! :spit:

Not everyone is as cheap as you, Alex, you know? :p

Kampi
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Jelena last on Court 2 tomorrow.:D

I like this schedule, because I will be able to watch it.:)

GO JJ:bounce:

дalex
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Not everyone is as cheap as you, Alex, you know? :p

I had a VERY bad day today. I'd even prefer if someone hit me on the head instead. :lol:

Smoothstuff
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM

:spit: I can't believe she turned the offer down! :speakles:

Maybe this explains it: http://www.turkspor.net/images/news/ana_ivanovic24.jpg :devil:

Brena
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
^ew!

I had a VERY bad day today. I'd even prefer if someone hit me on the head instead. :lol:

We can arrange something... :p
Oh come on, what's happened? :hug: I even brought you a present from Italy.

дalex
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'll tell you when I see you, I'm just disappointed about something. I'll survive.

http://www.svet.rs/clanak/ana-ivanovi%C4%87-izme%C4%91u-jelene-jankovi%C4%87-i-mene-ne-postoji-nikakav-sukob

Ana: There is no conflict between me and Jelena!

Despite more than a month passed since Madrid match when our best tennis player Jelena Jankovic beat Ana Ivanovic and ridiculed Ana's celebration after, there are still a lot of comments about their conflict. Ana Ivanovic talked about this for Hello! magazine:

"There is no conflict. The fact is it's now documented and people saw it for the first time, but I have to deal with it every day. This isn't new for me."

Did she just say Jeca is bullying her? :sobbing:

The rest is about Adam Scott and more can apparently be read in the magazine.

Also, in today's Kurir (trashy tabloid) they have quotes from Ana saying other players don't like her 'cos she's pretty and that there's constant battle for photoshoots, covers, endorsements and that jealousy is the reason there aren't friendships among tennis players.

Brena
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'll tell you when I see you, I'm just disappointed about something. I'll survive.

http://www.svet.rs/clanak/ana-ivanovi%C4%87-izme%C4%91u-jelene-jankovi%C4%87-i-mene-ne-postoji-nikakav-sukob

Did she just say Jeca is bullying her? :sobbing:

The rest is about Adam Scott and more can apparently be read in the magazine.

Also, in today's Kurir (trashy tabloid) they have quotes from Ana saying other players don't like her 'cos she's pretty and that there's constant battle for photoshoots, covers, endorsements and that jealousy is the reason there aren't friendships among tennis players.

I think she's saying JJ is not the first player to mock her fistpumping? :confused:
As for her other comment... I think someone has hit her on the head a bit too hard. :awww: She's completely delusional.

дalex
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
I think she's saying JJ is not the first player to mock her fistpumping? :confused:

Maybe, I thought so too at first, but I'm not sure now. :hysteric:

Bruno71
Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Ana :spit:

ce
Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ana mind your own business, leave Jelena alone :shout:

дalex
Jun 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Sport/Tenis/Tezak-posao-za-Dzej-Dzej.sr.html

The last paragraph says that Jeja attended the press conference yesterday, but that there were no journalists there, so Jelena sit there for couple of minutes and left. :awww: Apparently, the organisers first scheduled it for 9.25pm, but then changed it for 9.15. :awww:

-NAJ-
Jun 24th, 2010, 08:19 AM
stupid organisers:haha:

~Kiera~
Jun 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8756240.stm

1042: BREAKING NEWS - Serena will get to show off her new curtsy. The world number one might not be playing in front of the Queen today but she is among the players we have just been told will meet Her Majesty. That list in full: Serena Williams, Roger Federer, Caroline Wozniacki, Jelena Jankovic Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Roddick (Roddick replaces Andy Murray because of pre-match preparation), Laura Robson, Heather Watson, Anne Keothavong, Elena Baltacha, and past Wimbledon champions Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King.

Breaking news indeed :lol:

Daruma.
Jun 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8756240.stm

Breaking news indeed :lol:

:worship:

дalex
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Poor Jelena, she probably hasn't been practicing her curtsy. Serena will outcurtsy her. :(

Oh there's Jeja's curtsying for Queen Beth on TV! :speakles: I didn't see Rena's.

~Kiera~
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Poor Jelena, she probably hasn't been practicing her curtsy. Serena will outcurtsy her. :(

Oh there's Jeja's curtsying for Queen Beth on TV! :speakles: I didn't see Rena's.

Serena wasn't lying when she said she'd been practicing. It was the GOAT of all curtsies :p

Brena
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM

I saw Serena's curtsy but missed JJ's. The Queen even chatted with serena a bit and Serena was all smily and melting. :lol:

дalex
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I saw Serena's curtsy but missed JJ's. The Queen even chatted with serena a bit and Serena was all smily and melting. :lol:

Jeja's experience with the Queen was similar as we can see from the pics. Short though, but cute.

Sarah, I bet Jeja's curtsy was more natural, she's the Empress afterall - she knows these things. :lol:

дalex
Jun 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Jelena's impressions about meeting The Queen.
http://www.rts.rs/page/magazine/ci/story/.... (http://www.rts.rs/page/magazine/ci/story/461/%D0%A1%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%82+%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%BD% D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%85/728714/%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%99%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D 0%B0+%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B0+%D0%92%D 0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%83.htm l)

It's the first time I saw The Queen in person and for me it was a great honour as I was among the players selected to meet her. Wimbledon is special for so many reasons - it's unique 'cos it's played on grass, has great tradition and because of the overall atmosphere surrounding the tournament.

For me, Wimbledon is especially important 'cos together with Briton Jamie Murray I won the trophy in Mixed Doubles here, the first Wimbledon title that was won for Britain in more than 20 years.

00shuttl
Jun 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
From the Wimbledon website today: FRAGILE JANKOVIC UNDERLINES TITLE CREDENTIALS

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/match_reports/2010-06-25/201006251277460762739.html

"Fourth seed Jelena Jankovic overcame a mid-match stutter to defeat Alona Bondarenko 6-0, 6-3 and cruise into the fourth round in less than an hour, including the almost obligatory medical time-out. On current form, the Serb has every chance of going deep into a tournament which has been less than kind to her in the past - provided that she can remain injury-free.

Wimbledon is ironically where Jankovic has had her greatest and her least success. It was the scene of her only Grand Slam title to date, with Jamie Murray in the mixed doubles in 2007, but she has never made it past the fourth round here in the singles compared with semi-final appearances or better at the other three Grand Slams.

Speaking of majors, this was the third Slam in a row where Jankovic and Bondarenko met, each time coincidentally in the third round. The Ukrainian finally defeated Jankovic at the 10th time of asking in Melbourne back in January, only for the Serb to get her own back on the Paris clay last month.

Having faced her 11 times and won the grand total of three sets, Bondarenko knew that she had to get off to a flying start to have any chance of upsetting her opponent. When she won the toss, she elected to receive as Jankovic's service is very much diesel-engined - powerful but tends to need a while to warm up. Today, however, it could not have been quicker out of the blocks. She fired down two aces in the first game, laying down a marker, and then followed up with crisp returns of service to break Bondarenko to 15 and lead 2-0.

Player-turned-coach-turned-author Brad Gilbert speaks of "defrosting" all your strokes in the warm-up, and Jankovic proceeded to demonstrate that she had obviously done just that. Her forehands were flowing, her backhands found the corners every time, she drop-volleyed at the net with aplomb and even managed a correct Hawk-Eye challenge - a full house! The opening set lasted barely a quarter of an hour, and featured a game where Jankovic needed a mere six shots to break service to love.

Bondarenko's sister Kateryna was in attendance, and moved down almost courtside for the second set in an attempt to encourage her sibling, but help was at hand from another source - Jankovic's fragile physique.

The Serb's propensity for medical time-outs is legend among year-round tennis followers, and one duly came at 2-1 in the second set after Bondarenko had finally got on the board. Jankovic had her right thigh heavily strapped, and though she broke immediately afterwards, she then lost her service for the only time in the match.

More strapping was applied, and the No.4 seed then got back to winning ways, painting the lines and hitting with power on both service and return to break Bondarenko for a fifth and final time and close out the match in 58 minutes.

She is now only one match away from her best ever Wimbledon singles result, but her title challenge - a genuine one - will go only as far as her legs will carry her"

Foon_JJ
Jun 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
J Jankovic - 25 June

Friday, 25 June 2010
Q. The injury, it's above the knee?

JELENA JANKOVIC: No, it's fine. You know, I had some pain during the match after first set, but hopefully it will be, you know, all right.

I have maybe two days to rest and get some treatment. Hopefully everything will be okay.

Q. Obviously you were world No. 1, and then you went on some sort of fitness program in order to try and get stronger, did you, and that didn't quite have the results that you wanted?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, but that was the past. You know, that's, you know, a good learning experience. You always try to do something in order to get better. You're always seeking for new things to add to your game, to, you know, get stronger physically, to be faster, and all of those things.

But, um, you know, now in this moment I'm doing well. I'm not really thinking about any of those things. I'm back to my normal training routine. I'm happy with how I'm playing.

Today was a good performance for me, so I'm just happy to get through this round. I look forward to playing in the next.

Q. But because you're now playing well, do you regret sort of experimenting with that side?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, but you always do things thinking that it's gonna do good for you. You never go into a process thinking that's gonna be bad for and you have a negative effect.

You're always trying to, like I said, become better as a tennis player. I think each year the game is improving, and so you have to always try to improve as well. If not, you're gonna be left behind. But, you know, I don't really regret anything. It's just, you know, sometimes things work out; sometimes they don't.

But I'm back on track, and that's the most important thing. I'm doing well in this moment. I'm No. 3 in the world, which is really not bad.

Q. It seems like you're very happy on court with the way that you're playing.

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, I'm happy with the way that I'm playing in this moment. Especially today, in that first set I played really well. That's the game I would like to play. That's the real me.

That's something that, you know, I was working for a while: trying to play more aggressively, serving well, and playing go very well in the returning games and coming to the net. So I think I did overall pretty well today. I hope I can continue like that.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-25/201006251277481588109.html

Brena
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM
From Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1289688/Game-set-slanging-match-Welcome-warring-world-professional-female-tennis.html
Our own laura Robson has been fighting her own battles after giving an illadvised interview to Vogue in which she referred to some fellow players as 'sluts'. 'They go with every guy and make a bad name for themselves,' she declared.

Her subsequent appearance on tour was apparently 'chilly at best, and arctic at worst'. laura, 16, was defeated on day one by Serbian Jelena Jankovic. Jankovic - who is known for her flamboyant jewellery and painted nails - is not particularly popular either. even in a set-up not known for its alliances, those hailing from the eastern Bloc are regarded frostily.

'The Serbs and Russians aren't popular,' one tennis insider says. 'They are thought to have changed the game because they are often so ruthless about commanding the attention of the press.'

I have no idea what they're on about BUT Serbia/Yugoslavia has NEVER been the Eastern Bloc, you stupid journalistic morons! :weirdo: Yugoslavia was the founder country of the Non-Alligned movement.

JadeFox
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
From Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1289688/Game-set-slanging-match-Welcome-warring-world-professional-female-tennis.html

I have no idea what they're on about BUT Serbia/Yugoslavia has NEVER been the Eastern Bloc, you stupid journalistic morons! :weirdo: Yugoslavia was the founder country of the Non-Alligned movement.

It's the Daily Mail. Accuracy is not their strength.

Mlle Bruni
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM
It's the Daily Mail. Accuracy is not their strength.

Idiocy is.

ms_nut
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM

:lol::lol:. And what's that stuff about them being ruthless and commanding.:confused: Also JJ is not unpopular, you know * 100. She did win Mixed with a Murray in '07.

JadeFox
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Idiocy is.

Yeah when one of your past editors was a friend and supporter of such wonderful guys like Hitler and Mussolini, idiocy is an understatement.

Bruno71
Jun 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
How can the Russians not be popular if they make up 99% of the field?

Brena
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
:lol::lol:. And what's that stuff about them being ruthless and commanding.:confused: Also JJ is not unpopular, you know * 100. She did win Mixed with a Murray in '07.

JJ is really ruthless and commanding. So are Dementieva and her mum.

~Kiera~
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
https://twitter.com/dougrobson

Jankovic's mom says JJ's back and leg starting hurting over weekend in practice. Said shame since JJ playing best ball of season.

Foon_JJ
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
"It was a tough day yesterday. Flying back to Serbia this morning."

From JJ's facebook fanpage

Snex
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
"It was a tough day yesterday. Flying back to Serbia this morning."

From JJ's facebook fanpage

Come back home, babe. Serbia loves you. :kiss:

-NAJ-
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I hope doctor in Belgrade will "fix her back".

ce
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
:bigcry:

Mlle Bruni
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
No shopping? She must be sad.

Smoothstuff
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:38 PM
https://twitter.com/dougrobson

Sneki knows her tennis. ;)
That bagel against Bondarenko gives me hope for the rest of her season.

empressionist
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:03 PM
hope she'll be well soon... good thing july is a pause in the season for the top girls...

-NAJ-
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/news/20100706/jj-returns-to-no2_2256076_2085022
JJ Returns To No.2

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/javaImages/a0/7a/0,,12781~8878752,00.jpg

BELGRADE, Serbia - Her tournament may not have ended the way she wanted it to, but by virtue of the result, Jelena Jankovic has risen back to No.2 on the new Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Rankings, her highest in over 17 months.

Jankovic broke into the Top 2 for the first time on June 16, 2008, and between then and February 1, 2009, spent a total of 31 weeks in that Top 2 - including 18 weeks at No.1. But on February 2, 2009, following a fourth round exit at the Aussie Open (she had been a semifinalist the year before), she fell to No.3 and never got back into the Top 2 elite - that is, until this week.

After a 17-month period in which she fell as low as No.9 in the world, Jankovic's fourth round showing at Wimbledon has pushed her back to No.2 in the world, trailing only Serena Williams, and the Serb is working to recover from the back injury that forced her to retire in that round of 16 match at the All-England Club.

"I've been doing treatment and I'll continue to do that," Jankovic commented. "I'm still recovering, but I'm trying to get back on court as soon as possible. I have two weeks now until my next tournament in Portoroz, Slovenia."

It is worth noting Jankovic is even in her head-to-head against Williams. (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/headtohead/serena-williams_2255881_9044/0,,12781~9044~3932,00.html) The pair has split eight career meetings, Jankovic winning their most recent.

Since travelling to California for Indian Wells - where she won her first title of the year - Jankovic has won 27 of her 34 matches, which has pushed her back up.

Check out photos of Jelena from Indian Wells in the gallery! (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/gallery/20100321/indian-wells-finals-gallery_2256674_2001291)

"I've worked very hard on my game and have had pretty good results in the last couple of months. Winning Indian Wells and beating both Williams sisters in Rome are results I'm really proud of, and they have helped me go higher in the rankings. Playing the semifinals at the French Open was also important.

"My goal is to continue to be healthy so I can go out on the court and do my job the best possible way. I am thankful for all of the support from my fans and everyone and I hope to show them some good tennis the rest of the year."

And the summer hardcourt season, where she was one of the hottest players last year - and, two years ago, made her first Grand Slam final at the US Open?

"I have great memories from the US Open two years ago. I love hardcourts. Clay and hard are my favorite surfaces and I look forward to the summertime."

Safe-From-Harm
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
JJ plays in Portoroz?
I thought it is joke.

Bruno71
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
"Playing" in the semifinal at RG. Hard to call it that.

Brena
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
"Playing" in the semifinal at RG. Hard to call it that.

Whenever I think of that match my inner sweet cleo awakes...

Caralenko
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:00 AM
JJ has to win the Dinara open. Portoroz can't go back to Errani, it just can't. :tears:

Foon_JJ
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I am featured in the Serbian magazine Gloria In. The pictures and interview turned out nice, take a look!

~Kiera~
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.sloveniaopen.si/en/successful-first-training-session-jankovi%C4%87

Successful First Training Session for Janković

http://i31.tinypic.com/iofa77.jpg

Day after her arrival to the Slovenian seaside town Jelena Janković has already tested the hard court surface of the ŠRC Marina Portorož centre court.

No. 1 seed of the 2010 Banka Koper Slovenia Open WTA tournament spent her first training session under the supervision of her coach. Her sparring partners under the boiling hot noon sunlight were brothers Enej and Rok Bonin. Her father Veselin was also following her opening practice.

After the training session she gladly answered some of our questions including her first impressions on the Slovenian seaside resort she is visiting for the first time. »I am feeling great in Portorož, I can openly say that it is absolutely amazing. I am surprised at the great conditions here. My practice went really well and I am utterly enjoying in this beauty«, she explained.

She also talked about her plans and wishes at this tournament «I will do everything in my power to perform well here as I would really like to go all the way. Nevertheless, I plan to go step by step, concentrate on one match at a time, and we'll see how far I’ll go. I sincerely hope for the best«.

Janković, who is accompanied by her parents and brothers in Portorož, plans to take some time off “In the afternoon we intend to go either on the beach or do some shopping. My family loves being here as well. The organizers received us very cordially. I feel great”.

Brena
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I just read in the papers that Jelena's cousin (her uncle's daughter) Dijana Janković won the 1st prize at a singing festival (in Vrnjačka Banja). :sobbing:

RFS
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM
oooh article talks about her coach - is Chipper Chip back?

дalex
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM

I have no idea, but it would be strange if he came to Europe just for Portoroz.

Maybe she has a new coach? :speakles:

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM
is that Dejan Vranes on photo from Portoroz?
bigger photo (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=18163778&postcount=710)

Brena
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe she has a new coach? :speakles:

Maybe it's some random stalker the reporter mistook for her coach?

RFS
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
is Bruno out there????

дalex
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
is that Dejan Vranes on photo from Portoroz?
bigger photo (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=18163778&postcount=710)

It does look like it's Vranes. How on Earth can he coach her, he's just another person she feels she can yell at when things go wrong. :lol:

Brena
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
is Bruno out there????

No, he's stalking baby A. on some golf court in Australia.

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I just read in the papers that Jelena's cousin (her uncle's daughter) Dijana Janković won the 1st prize at a singing festival (in Vrnjačka Banja). :sobbing:

It's her 1st public appearance and she is anonymous, so it's great that she won.
I didn't hear that song "Jaka" (Strong) and how show she sings but i also read that she is taking lessons from Ivana Negativ
I saw on TV Kosava that festival but I switched the channel. Now i regret:p
i found photo of JJ's sister Dijana
http://static.story.rs/thumbnail.php?file=Dijana_Jankovic_2_439513205.jpg&size=article_medium&time=1279294767

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
It does look like it's Vranes. How on Earth can he coach her, he's just another person she feels she can yell at when things go wrong. :lol:

he is probably only with her here in Europe maybe she wanted to have some person of trust next to her during tournament
but when she go in America she will work with Chip and Nick

Brena
Jul 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I see they have similar fashion sense. :lol: I just hope Dijana sings better than JJ.

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM
maybe it's from JJ's collection:lol:
well now she have sister who is singer. Serena is OUT
Jelena feat Dijana :drink:

дalex
Jul 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I see they have similar fashion sense. :lol: I just hope Dijana sings better than JJ.

I was wondering whether Jeja was in Nish for the Waterpolo World League finals. I hear Mladjan's been playing well. Maybe you saw something about that in those quality papers you've been reading?

Bruno71
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
No, he's stalking baby A. on some golf court in Australia.

I found her at a cafe with Adam sipping mochachocolattayayas and eschewing her country. My baby puts herself first! :lick:

RFS
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I found her at a cafe with Adam sipping mochachocolattayayas and eschewing her country. My baby puts herself first! :lick:

:haha:

Bobisa
Jul 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
no... Chip is id*ot :fiery: and cooperation between JJ and him is definitely ceased...

дalex
Jul 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
no... Chip is id*ot :fiery: and cooperation between JJ and him is definitely ceased...

What happened? We need to know more! :drool:

Bobisa
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:20 PM
What happened? We need to know more! :drool:

I think that it wouldn't be fair(for JJ) to tell you what happened after sf at RG , that's some private things(maybe she'll read this).But it's enough to know that the Chip incorrectly acted after the semifinal. JJ deserves a better coach. Coach who will understand her at any time and I hope that she will soon find someone better.
Like you all know my english is really bad but hopefully you're understand me :)

Optima
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I don't think there is anyone better...we were all upset after she lost, of course her "coach" should have been too. That match could have been in her hands. We all know JJ can be hostile to work with, but there comes a certain point where you can't cater to a player's every need. I hope he's still with her, she HAS played some great matches this year.

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
well she also played some great matches in Fed cup,Stuttgart,Wimbledon, madrid, Rome and she was with hitting partner and Sneki not with Chip.
it's good to have great coach but it's much more on player

Optima
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Right, but he's the one that actually suggested that she finally STEP IN the court again and take control of things - something she forgot how to do with Ricardo. I feel like that set off her career again, finally, regardless if he was or was not with her.

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
she is going in right direction according to wimbledon matches. Like Davenport said during her match against Wozniak. " i never saw jelena coming so much at net, and she has to";)

дalex
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I think that it wouldn't be fair(for JJ) to tell you what happened after sf at RG , that's some private things(maybe she'll read this).But it's enough to know that the Chip incorrectly acted after the semifinal. JJ deserves a better coach. Coach who will understand her at any time and I hope that she will soon find someone better.
Like you all know my english is really bad but hopefully you're understand me :)

Cool. But now we know something actually happened between them.

I agree with Optima - Jelena is known to be difficult to work with. At this point I honestly think she doesn't want a coach. As I joked before - she just needs someone to yell at, listen to all her dramaz and excuses and nod in approval (read Vranes). No good coach is gonna take that attitude. And, after all, coaches don't play tennis so she should get real - no coach made her play the way she did in RG semi this year, she beat Stosur in IW when she was also coached by Chip so there is NO excuse for that RG loss. She was handed a clear path to Grand Slam glory and she failed. So if he was disappointed with her and acted accordingly then I can't blame him. Depends on what/how was said from all sides.

With the way she was acting during that RG match, raising her hands, acting as if nothing can be done, as if it was someone else's fault she was playing badly... god only knows what she did/said afterwards. :tape:

I mean I love her, but she's obviously not coachable... There's a reason she never had a full time coach except for Sanchez. So yeah, hopefully she'll be able to figure things out for herself.

Brena
Jul 16th, 2010, 10:11 PM

The correct thing for him after that match would have been to strangle her. :)

-NAJ-
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Mladjan Janovic, Montenegrin water polo player, and boyfriend JJ:
Still do not plan marriage with JJ

Mladjan Janovic, a prominent Montenegrin water polo player and a boyfriend of the best Serbian tennis player Jelena Jankovic, these days is in Nis, where he and his Montenegro are into semifinals of the World League.

His skills in the pool, but most of all modeling appearance, attracts girls who came to see players from the eight best teams of the world. However, Janovic for "Alo!" Story that is faithful to his girlfriend, but that still does not plan to stop in front of the registrar.
- We are a professional athletes and now we do not think about such a serious relationship like marriage. It's nice to us like this, understand each other well, we help each other when someone has problem, also we share all the joy. We hear every day and cheer each other because we play in big tournaments. The fact that we are both well-known personality does not burden us. The most important thing is that it's nice to me and her when we are together. we use all free moments just for the two of us - the story ended conversation while Janovic givwa girls seeking autographs.
He admits he would like to go with JJ on the summer holiday, but the obligation to prevent.
- Uh, a common summer vacation with Jelena can not even think, but I want it. This summer I was so cluttered with obligations so it would be good if we find some weekends just for two of us. Jelena when she can comes , but during summer we have competition in the same time, so it is difficult to combine a long summer holiday- says Janovic.