PDA

View Full Version : Espy 2008 Winners?

garrosgrace
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
who got the winner list?
:confused:

Sharapowerr
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Maria won offcourse :cool:, Again:) Offcourse it s not a ''GM poll'', if it was she would not won.. she wouldn t even be nominated.. here s the article.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/07/16/espy.awards.ap/index.html?section=si_latest

lavigne41
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Whoop. :cool:

Cp6uja
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Winners List:

Male Athlete: Tiger Woods, golf
Female Athlete: Candace Parker, Tennessee and Los Angeles Sparks
Team: Boston Celtics
Coach-Manager: Pat Summitt, Tennessee women's basketball
Comeback: Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
Breakthrough Athlete: Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings (beat Ana Ivanovic)
Game: New York Giants defeat New England Patriots, Super Bowl
Record-breaking Performance: Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers
Championship Performance: Tiger Woods, U.S. Open (beat Venus Williams for Wimbledon and Rafael Nadal for RG)
Play: New York Giants QB Eli Manning's pass to David Tyree, Super Bowl
Moment: Central Washington's Mallory Holtman and Liz Wallace, Western Oregon's Sara Tucholsky for sportsmanship
Finish: Western Kentucky's Ty Rogers hitting buzzer beater to defeat Drake in first round of NCAA men's basketball tournament
Upset: New York Giants defeat New England Patriots, Super Bowl
Sports Movie: "Semi-Pro"
Male College Athlete: Tim Tebow, Florida football
Female College Athlete: Candace Parker, Tennessee basketball
Women's Collegiate Team: Tennessee basketball
Male Action Sport Athlete: Shaun White, skateboarding/snowboarding
Female Action Sport Athlete: Gretchen Bleiler, snowboarding
Male Athlete With A Disability: Ryan Kocer, wrestling
Female Athlete With a Disability: Shay Oberg, softball
Male International Athlete: Rafael Nadal, tennis (but not "International" Tennis player of the year :lol:)
Female International Athlete: Lorena Ochoa, golf (beat Justine Henin)
Baseball Player: Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
NBA Player: Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
WNBA Player: Lauren Jackson, Seattle Storm
NFL Player: Tom Brady, New England Patriots
NHL Player: Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
Bowler: Norm Duke
Driver: Jimmie Johnson
Fighter: Floyd Mayweather, boxing
Golfer: Tiger Woods
Jockey: Kent Desormeaux
MLS Player: David Beckham, Los Angeles Galaxy
Male Tennis Player: Roger Federer (beat Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic)
Female Tennis Player: Maria Sharapova (beat Ana Ivanovic and Justine Henin)
Track and Field Athlete: Tyson Gay
Outdoor Athlete: Scott Smiley, mountain climber
Arthur Ashe Courage Award: John Carlos and Tommie Smith, 1968 Olympic medalists
Jimmy V ESPY for Perseverance: Kevin Everett, former Buffalo Bills tight end
Like Nothing Else Award: George Martin walks across America
Undeniable Moment: Warner Robins, Ga., defeats Tokyo to win Little League World Series on Dalton Carriker's walk-off homer in extra innings

Some of this awards needs explanation, and explanation in all strange choices is same - this is American awards :tape:

Adal
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Maria won? :help: I'm very happy for her, but no way she was a better player than Ana or Justine in 07-08

garrosgrace
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks Cp6uja:)

eck
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Was this based on last year, or this year?

Cp6uja
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Was this based on last year, or this year?Talking about tennis this is based on performances between Wimbledon/2007 and Roland Garros/2008 (BTW nominations for "Championship performances" Venus got for Wimby/2007 and Nadal for RG/2008).

Very interesting is that Ana Ivanovic reach this month "Female Tennis Player of The Year" from worlds sports journalists assotiation (AIPS) which include Wimbledon/2008 results (instead 2007) - so for ESPY Award in comparation with AIPS Award Ivanovic (and Henin also) have one GS (Wimbledon/07) extra SF more than Sharapova... but that is obviously not enough to beat Maria when Americans is big majority of Poll voters :rolleyes:.

mashamaniac
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Obviously masha deserved to win it...

Tennisation
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
how does a male international athlete winner not win male tennis athlete:weirdo:
that's like saying a debut artist winning artist of the year but doesn't win best newcommer, I know they're trying to do the whole "everyone gets a piece of the pie" thing, but when it doesn't make sense, it just looks bad.

Sharapowerr
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Talking about tennis this is based on performances between Wimbledon/2007 and Roland Garros/2008 (BTW nominations for "Championship performances" Venus got for Wimby/2007 and Nadal for RG/2008).

Very interesting is that Ana Ivanovic reach this month "Female Tennis Player of The Year" from worlds sports journalists assotiation (AIPS) which include Wimbledon/2008 results (instead 2007) - so for ESPY Award in comparation with AIPS Award Ivanovic (and Henin also) have one GS (Wimbledon/07) extra SF more than Sharapova... but that is obviously not enough to beat Maria when Americans is big majority of Poll voters :rolleyes:.

Maybe whe should create a poll here in the GMand let s shee who wins?:rolleyes:

Btw Maria deserved to win it Her AO she played allmost flawless.. so accept it or if you can t accept make a poll here and maybe you will be satisfied with the win..:rolleyes:

Nikkiri
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Maria deserves it.. but If Ana or Justine had of won they would have deserved it too. Obviously the fact its American and Maria is more well known in America helped a little.

joo.
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Maria *bow*

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think Justine was the best player from mid 07 to the end of the year....the Maria hype has already started for the USA Open.

Cp6uja
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Maybe whe should create a poll here in the GMand let s shee who wins?:rolleyes:

Btw Maria deserved to win it Her AO she played allmost flawless.. so accept it or if you can t accept make a poll here and maybe you will be satisfied with the win..:rolleyes:I'm already enough satisfied this month when Ana reach that AIPS award in global worlds poll which include about 10.000 professional sports journalists, reporters and writers for Tennis Player of The Year (Nadal won in mans competition) from more than 150 countries.

BTW... I like Elena Dementieva, but why you thinking that i will be very happy to see her winning "Player of The Year" WTAWorld TennisForum Poll? :shrug:

Maria deserves it.. but If Ana or Justine had of won they would have deserved it too. Obviously the fact its American and Maria is more well known in America helped a little.A litle... just Two places (#1 instead #3) :devil:

mashamaniac
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Look, they both have won a GS this year + a tier I title each! maria has won 3 titles the whole year while ana has just two! so here maria has the lead over ana.

taking their routes/opponents to titles in AO and RG,maria has had one of the toughest draws of last decade and still won the AO while ana had one of the easiest draws through her RG win. her biggest opponent was JJ in semis while maria beat davenport,dementieva,henin,JJ and ana to her AO victory! indeed maria didn't drop a set to her GS while having the toughest draw and ana lost some sets while having a much easier draw! surely maria will edge out ana in this comparison as well

maria has lost much lesser than ana this year and that is another stat favoring masha! indeed their H2H this year is in masha's favor...

i don't get why ppl are complaining over maria's win?

mashamaniac
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I'm already enough satisfied this month when Ana reach that AIPS award in global worlds poll which include about 10.000 professional sports journalists, reporters and writers for Tennis Player of The Year (Nadal won in mans competition) from more than 150 countries.

BTW... I like Elena Dementieva, but why you thinking that i will be very happy to see her winning "Player of The Year" WTAWorld TennisForum Poll? :shrug:

A litle... just Two places (#1 instead #3) :devil:

Obviously that's a fluke... she never would have become #1 nor #2 if JH hadn't retired!!! that's an undisputed fluke!:rolleyes:

Nikkiri
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Here we go again :rolleyes:

Nikkiri
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM
A litle... just Two places (#1 instead #3) :devil:

Maria had YEC and her AO title which were both really impressive so it's not like she doesn't deserve it. Just let it go already. We don't need more Ana vs Maria :yawn:

The Daviator
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Obviously that's a fluke... she never would have become #1 nor #2 if JH hadn't retired!!! that's an undisputed fluke!:rolleyes:

She's still ranked above Maria :shrug: And Ana had a tough draw at RG, she was in Serena's quarter :wavey:

Anyway, knew Maria would win, Justine is the one who deserves it but would the US public ever vote for her? :shrug:

Cp6uja
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
i don't get why ppl are complaining over maria's win?Try with simple comparation between Maria and Ana for period which is counting:

Wim/07: 4R<SF
USO/07: 3R<4R
AO/08: W>F
RG/08: 4R<W

Even if we accept your suggestion and count only AO and RG where they both win - Title and Final is way better achivements than Title and R16.
Maria had YEC and her AO title which were both really impressive so it's not like she doesn't deserve it. Just let it go already. We don't need more Ana vs Maria :yawn:What's YEC/2004 title have with Espy2008 Award? :confused:

mashamaniac
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Nikkie meant last year's YEC which maria beat ana and reached finals,she totally deserved to win that title too!

Nikkiri
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Try with simple comparation between Maria and Ana for period which is counting:

Wim/07: 4R<SF
USO/07: 3R<4R
AO/08: W>F
RG/08: 4R<W

Even if we accept your suggestion and count only AO and RG where they both win - Title and Final is way better achivements than Title and R16.
What's YEC/2004 title have with Espy2008 Award? :confused:

YEC final last year. Don't act like you don't know. lol

I'm an Ana fan I agree with you that her results from Wim 07 to RG 08 are more in Ana's favor but when you really look at it you'll see Sharapova deserves it too her AO run was very impressive, the fact it's American may have put her in front slightly.. but who cares? Whats done is done and all 3 would have been worthy but it just so happened to be Maria.

ImaVeggie
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Blah Blah Blah

Who cares about the ESPYs?!

vettipooh
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Talking about tennis this is based on performances between Wimbledon/2007 and Roland Garros/2008 (BTW nominations for "Championship performances" Venus got for Wimby/2007 and Nadal for RG/2008).

You mean online 15yr old fanboys and mashabators.:tape:

dybbuk
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Justine deserved it. :shrug: The American public could care less about her though.

debby
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM

I don't get why Maria is chosen. Only Justine deserved this. I'm not biased at all, it is just about facts between WB 2007 and RG 2008... Let's compare :

Maria : >> N1 from Justine's retirement until Roland-Garros.
2007 :
- she lost in fourth round in Wimbly against Venus William (eventual champion) in straights.. 6-1 6-3.
- she won San Diego, a Tier I. Only title in 2007 ( :tape: )
- She lost in third round against Agnieszka Radwanska at US Open 6-4 1-6 6-2 ...
- lost to Viktoria Azarenka by wasting six set points (or seven) in straights 7-6 (9) 6-2.
- she lost against Justine Henin at Masters Cup, she was very close.. 5-7 7-5 6-3.

2008 :
- She won Aussie Open without dropping a set... She beat Lindsay Davenport, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic. Great Slam, undoubtly.
- She won Doha, a Tier I.
- She lost to Svetlana Kuznetsova in Indian Wells, her streak-winning stopped at ... 18. Right ? :scratch:
- She won Amelia Island, a Tier II.
- Then, she lost to Serena Williams in Charleston, she didn't play to Jelena Jankovic in Rome and finally, she lost to Dinara Safina, the eventual finalist, in Paris, by wasting one matchpoint...

--> 4 titles, including a Slam and two Tier I.

Ana : >> N1 since Roland-Garros.

2007 :
- she saves three matchpoints against Vaidisova to reach semifinalist and lost to Venus Williams (the eventual champion) in Wimbledon.
- she saves two matchpoints against Jelena Jankovic in LA and still win this tournament which is a Tier II.
- She lost her crown at her first round in Toronto against Yan Zi 6-3 6-1 :tape:
- She lost to Venus Williams in Flushing Meadows 6-4 6-2 in fourth round.
- She won Luxembourg, a tier II.
- She lost in Stuttgart and Zurich... At Masters Cup, she loses twice (against the eventuals finalists...) 6-1 6-2 Maria and 6-4 6-4 Justine.

2008 :
- she lost against the eventual champion, Justine Henin, in Sydney 6-2 2-6 6-4.
- She was runner-up at Aussie Open, against Maria Sharapova 7-5 6-3.
- walk over at Doha, loss to ElenaD (Dubai) the eventual winner 5-7 6-3 6-3.
- she won Indian Wells, a Tier I, and then she lost to Davenport in Miami.
- In two tournies, she lost to ElenaD and Pironkova
- she won Roland-Garrosby beating Schnyder, Jankovic and Safina (who was undefeated during the red-clay season).

--> 4 titles, including a Slam and a Tier I.

Justine : >>> N1 from Miami 2007 to her retirement (May 14th)

2007 :
- she lost in semifinals to Marion Bartoli in Wimbly 1-6 7-5 6-1.
- she won Toronto, a Tier I (Jelena Jankovic 7-6 7-5)
- she won US Open by beating Safina, Serena and Venus Williams, Kuznetsova in a row without losing a set.
- She won Stuttgatt, a Tier II, by defeating Tatiana Golovin 2-6 6-2 6-1.
- She won Zurich, a Tier I by beating again Tati 6-4 6-4.
- She won Madrid (Masters) undefeated over Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Bartoli (6-0 6-0 ...), Ivanovic and Sharapova in a epic final.

2008 :
- She wins Sydney, a Tier II, against Kuzzie in final.
- she lost to the eventual champion, Sharapova, in Melbourne 6-4 6-0, her winning-streak was over : 32 wins in a row (I think :scratch: )
- she wins Antwerp, her last title (a Tier II), to Karin Knapp 6-3 6-3.
- She lost at Dubai against Schiavone 7-6 7-6.
- She lost in Miami to the eventual champion, Serena Williams, 6-2 6-0.
- In her last tournament, she lost to the eventual champion, Dinara Safina, 5-7 6-3 6-1 and retires.

--> 7 titles including a Slam, a Masters Cup and two Tier I.

I don't even call these Espy as sports awards but rather a popularity poll :tape:

eck
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Justine was also undefeated from Toronto til AO. :o

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
The ESPYs are voted on by fans. It's partly a US popularity contest.
It's not some judges looking at results and picking the best player.

Adal
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Justine deserved it. :shrug: The American public could care less about her though.
I agree http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/PSALT_alreadytaken/6xyu5k.png

SOA_MC
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Look, they both have won a GS this year + a tier I title each! maria has won 3 titles the whole year while ana has just two! so here maria has the lead over ana.

taking their routes/opponents to titles in AO and RG,maria has had one of the toughest draws of last decade and still won the AO while ana had one of the easiest draws through her RG win. her biggest opponent was JJ in semis while maria beat davenport,dementieva,henin,JJ and ana to her AO victory! indeed maria didn't drop a set to her GS while having the toughest draw and ana lost some sets while having a much easier draw! surely maria will edge out ana in this comparison as well

maria has lost much lesser than ana this year and that is another stat favoring masha! indeed their H2H this year is in masha's favor...

i don't get why ppl are complaining over maria's win?

Justine didn't drop a set in winnig the US Open and had a 6 tournament winning streak Toronto, US Open, Stuttgart, Zurich, YEC and Sydney

Justine deserved to win this award

Sharapowerr
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Justine didn't drop a set in winnig the US Open and had a 6 tournament winning streak Toronto, US Open, Stuttgart, Zurich, YEC and Sydney

Justine deserved to win this award

But she didn t get the award:lol: so deal with it , it s not like the polls over here who is hotter so childish ... and Maria loses , but win ''normal'' public.. ( Not 75% jalouse Maria haters who vote ) She won it , and Justine retired and if you had to chose between Maria and Ana both 1 gs but we all know who performed better at the GS they won.. so all of you deal with it or commit suicide..:lol: if you can t accept it... every thread about Maria even if it is positive the most of the people over here turn it in a negative ''How we can trash Maria thread'' So all the haters F*** Off:lol:

f_torres
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
:smash:

the Fans chose Masha ? What is the ....... problem ?

Nikkiri
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
But she didn t get the award:lol: so deal with it , it s not like the polls over here who is hotter so childish ... and Maria loses , but win ''normal'' public.. ( Not 75% jalouse Maria haters who vote ) She won it , and Justine retired and if you had to chose between Maria and Ana both 1 gs but we all know who performed better at the GS they won.. so all of you deal with it or commit suicide..:lol: if you can t accept it... every thread about Maria even if it is positive the most of the people over here turn it in a negative ''How we can trash Maria thread'' So all the haters F*** Off:lol:

Lol I think you're taking it way too seriously. :tape: :lol:

Its only the Espy's after all.

SOA_MC
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM

What the hell:spit:

Relax I wasn't "bashing" Maria:help: Justine had a better period between Wimbledon 07 and Roland Garros 08 than both Maria and Ana. Justine was eligible for this award Mashamanic completely ignored her in his post. settle down:rolleyes:

Shakira4000
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I can't believe a golfer beat Justine Henin :help: Oh well :o

debby
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Justine wasn 't retired last year and still played a big part from that the half season 2008 :wavey:

So deal with it.

Sharapowerr
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Lol I think you're taking it way too seriously. :tape: :lol:

Its only the Espy's after all.

Do you really think i thake it seriously , ok more seriously than the polls about Maria.. i just give my opinion, do you think that i thake 90 % of the polls and posts here seriously..?
I don t..;) And btw i don t live in the US , i believe the ESPY is a public award.. i saw it on time on youtube.. but i m happy for Maria.. ciao

Sharapowerr
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Justine wasn 't retired last year and still played a big part from that the half season 2008 :wavey:

So deal with it.

Maria won the award i don t have to deal with anything , haha

Nikkiri
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Do you really think i thake it seriously , ok more seriously than the polls about Maria.. i just give my opinion, do you think that i thake 90 % of the polls and posts here seriously..?
I don t..;) And btw i don t live in the US , i believe the ESPY is a public award.. i saw it on time on youtube.. but i m happy for Maria.. ciao

Well with what you just replied to A-RadsBlackSheep I think so yeah. Lol but well congrats to your Masha you'll see in this thread I said she deserved it. ;) :wavey:

Adal
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
There's nothing to argue about here. It's a public poll, people vote there. Maria Sharapova is just the name Americans here more than Ana Ivanovic or Justine Henin. It's not really based on results, otherwise it wouldn't have been public.

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Maria won, but I went to Getty and Maria didn't go to it this year.
I wanted to see who she brought with her ;)

babsi
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Justine should have won it and that is coming from a Maria fan.
1 GS, 1 WTA Championships, 2 tier 1's 4 tier's and including that unbeaten run in the 2nd half of last year to Maria's 1 GS, 2 tier 1's and 1 tier 2. And Justine is #1 now even though she retired she has enough points to get the top spot.
Saying all that, fan voting in the US, Maria will be the likely winner as she was the most known of the finalists there by far.

SVU
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM

That's right, Justine didn't win the award, she won this instead http://www.laureus.com/

Now when Maria wins one of them instead of a stupid kids ESPY award, you can then brag, until then, I'd be quite embarassed at being as proud as you are at Maria winning an ESPY award :spit: Everyone knows an ESPY is not even a recognised award.

Now a Laureus award ... well, that's different - it's the Oscar of the sport. I think it's only been Serena and Justine who have won them recently :worship:

When Screama wins that calibre of award then get back to me :tape:

kjn
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah we know Justine won that. Sharapowerr I think, is only referring to the stupid and childish comparisons between Ana and Maria which can get ridiculous sometimes. Of course, Justine would have been the rightful winner but she didn't win let's just get it over with.She won the more important award anyway, so why even bother?

Cp6uja
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Maria beat last year Henin and Mauresmo and this year Henin and Ivanovic :confused:, but still biggest joke for me is fact that Rafael Nadal, tennis player from Spain reach Best International Male Athlete award, but winner of Best Male Tennis Player is Roger Federer from Switzerland :weirdo::smash:

So Nadal is best worlds Athlete but not best tennis player :confused: They use same "logic" when compare Ivanovic and Sharapova. Ana have better results in 2nd half of 2007 than Maria and in 1st half of 2008 than Maria - so Maria have better results in 2nd half of 2007 and 1st half of 2008 together :weirdo:

BTW for best Championship performance is not nominated Maria's AO/08 or Henin's USO/07 - nominated is Venus Williams Wimbledon/07, so this is not award for best single performance during last 12 months, its about best results overall in last 12 months and of course that one GS title, final, semifinal and just one slump is better than one GS title and three GS slumps. Difference between 2tier-I titles, YEC-final and 1tier-II title, and super-tier-I title, YEC-SF and 2tier-II titles is not enough to compensate GS SF (and except SF Ivanovic have one slam FINAL more than Maria in period which is counted).

gaviotabr
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Cp6uja,

The moment ESPN anounces the nominees for the ESPYs and opens the pools, it is not anymore about results and it begins to be a popularity contest: Who is more famous in North America. Because of that, no winner is really a surprise. Not even Nadal winning Best International Male Athlete and not Best Tennis player. Might not make sense, but it's hardly a surprise. Federer is the most famous tennis player, but Nadal is certainly more famous than footballers like Cristiano Ronaldo and Kak, who were his competition for Best International Male Athlete.

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
It's just a US popularity contest. I think Sharapova won it 3 times already.

sweetpeas
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
thanks......Good job...Maria!

tennisfanxx
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Best Female Athlete - Candace Parker
http://i38.tinypic.com/35162bm.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/1z6xtnr.jpg

serenus_2k8
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
:lol: What did Becks win?

I guess Tiger Woods and Rafa should come before Vee so I aint dissapointed. Maria over Ana is quite funny though :lol:

spiritedenergy
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Winners List:

Male Athlete: Tiger Woods, golf
Female Athlete: Candace Parker, Tennessee and Los Angeles Sparks
Team: Boston Celtics
Coach-Manager: Pat Summitt, Tennessee women's basketball
Comeback: Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
Breakthrough Athlete: Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings (beat Ana Ivanovic)
Game: New York Giants defeat New England Patriots, Super Bowl
Record-breaking Performance: Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers
Championship Performance: Tiger Woods, U.S. Open (beat Venus Williams for Wimbledon and Rafael Nadal for RG)
Play: New York Giants QB Eli Manning's pass to David Tyree, Super Bowl
Moment: Central Washington's Mallory Holtman and Liz Wallace, Western Oregon's Sara Tucholsky for sportsmanship
Finish: Western Kentucky's Ty Rogers hitting buzzer beater to defeat Drake in first round of NCAA men's basketball tournament
Upset: New York Giants defeat New England Patriots, Super Bowl
Sports Movie: "Semi-Pro"
Male College Athlete: Tim Tebow, Florida football
Female College Athlete: Candace Parker, Tennessee basketball
Women's Collegiate Team: Tennessee basketball
Male Action Sport Athlete: Shaun White, skateboarding/snowboarding
Female Action Sport Athlete: Gretchen Bleiler, snowboarding
Male Athlete With A Disability: Ryan Kocer, wrestling
Female Athlete With a Disability: Shay Oberg, softball
Male International Athlete: Rafael Nadal, tennis (but not "International" Tennis player of the year :lol:)
Female International Athlete: Lorena Ochoa, golf (beat Justine Henin)
Baseball Player: Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
NBA Player: Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
WNBA Player: Lauren Jackson, Seattle Storm
NFL Player: Tom Brady, New England Patriots
NHL Player: Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
Bowler: Norm Duke
Driver: Jimmie Johnson
Fighter: Floyd Mayweather, boxing
Golfer: Tiger Woods
Jockey: Kent Desormeaux
MLS Player: David Beckham, Los Angeles Galaxy
Male Tennis Player: Roger Federer (beat Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic)
Female Tennis Player: Maria Sharapova (beat Ana Ivanovic and Justine Henin)
Track and Field Athlete: Tyson Gay
Outdoor Athlete: Scott Smiley, mountain climber
Arthur Ashe Courage Award: John Carlos and Tommie Smith, 1968 Olympic medalists
Jimmy V ESPY for Perseverance: Kevin Everett, former Buffalo Bills tight end
Like Nothing Else Award: George Martin walks across America
Undeniable Moment: Warner Robins, Ga., defeats Tokyo to win Little League World Series on Dalton Carriker's walk-off homer in extra innings

Some of this awards needs explanation, and explanation in all strange choices is same - this is American awards :tape:

wow these Espys are a joke as most of US based awards :weirdo:

Destiny
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Bah bah bah

blem

Good for Maria she's getting what comes to her and she deserves it :worship:

Keep going for now anyways's :devil:

spiritedenergy
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Maria beat last year Henin and Mauresmo and this year Henin and Ivanovic :confused:, but still biggest joke for me is fact that Rafael Nadal, tennis player from Spain reach Best International Male Athlete award, but winner of Best Male Tennis Player is Roger Federer from Switzerland :weirdo::smash:

So Nadal is best worlds Athlete but not best tennis player :confused: They use same "logic" when compare Ivanovic and Sharapova. Ana have better results in 2nd half of 2007 than Maria and in 1st half of 2008 than Maria - so Maria have better results in 2nd half of 2007 and 1st half of 2008 together :weirdo:

BTW for best Championship performance is not nominated Maria's AO/08 or Henin's USO/07 - nominated is Venus Williams Wimbledon/07, so this is not award for best single performance during last 12 months, its about best results overall in last 12 months and of course that one GS title, final, semifinal and just one slump is better than one GS title and three GS slumps. Difference between 2tier-I titles, YEC-final and 1tier-II title, and super-tier-I title, YEC-SF and 2tier-II titles is not enough to compensate GS SF (and except SF Ivanovic have one slam FINAL more than Maria in period which is counted).

don't try to find a sense in these awards. Have ever you watched the Oscars? The most senseless and pointless awards ever. Americans are doing it for themselves :tape::help:

slamchamp
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM
well it's because it's voted by the audience, that's why nadal one best int athlete and not tennis player. It's not journalists or whatever that take the decision

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM
the espys don't mean shit.