View Full Version : Stanford 2R: SERENA 4-6 6-3 6-2 MICHELLE LARCHER DE BRITO

Zoeki
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hard to believe Serena's quick-moving :bounce:

MICHELLE LARCHER DE BRITO:bounce:
Still a good fight!

danieln1
Errorena was there for some time, then Winnerena put a foot in her mouth thankfully and won this tough match!
Awesome play from both players, with exceptional rallies but tons of erros from Serena also!

backslapu
OMG...talk about scare from Serena:eek::eek::eek:
pulled it around in 2nd set

had 14 aces only 1 df

LET"S GOOOOOOO SERENA!!!

RenaSlam.
Avoids the upset :worship:

Came back from 6-4, 2-0 30-15 down. :eek:

Needs to pick it up for the latter rounds, but nice fight.

Sounds like Michelle is quite the talent...

Craig.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Great match. Serena started moving A LOT better in the third and Michelle kind of self-destructed.

Love how Serena went around the net to see Michelle.

safinforlife
oh shit burrito broker her ankle the last point!!!

supergrunt
Serena :) !

dybbuk
That was one of the weirdest ends to a match I have ever seen.

mirzalover
Michelle strokes remind me of Myskina and Mirza's. She is quick to.

Optima
WTF was that Serena?

doni1212
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Good job, pulling it together Serena! Now get some rest!

tennnisfannn
oh shit burrito broker her ankle the last point!!!
i wondered about that?

safinforlife
Macth point was hardcore

VeeReeDavJCap81
Did Michelle injure herself at the end?

Serenidad.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM
WTF was that Serena?

A hot mess.

PlaywellenoughtowinRENA. :hearts:

Serenita
Good match for serena.
Did anyone saw that great point in the third? Best point of the year.
great fight Brito.
Good match Serena!

Njay16
Some very entertaining rallies towards the end, espeically the rally that gave Serena the break to go up 4-2 :eek::eek:. Very nice gesture from Serena at the end too.

Very impressive Michelle. I think her lack of maturity really hurt her in the end there, but really great effort.:hug:

daniel122292
yea she like fell over and messed up her ankle.

Cat's Pajamas
Well that was interesting. :rolls:

Fun stuff but ultimately Serena's serve bails her out again. The way she is able to ace her way out of tough spots is the main reason she's still a threat. But she tracked down some tough shots as well so kudos. Not her best tennis though.

As much as I dislike Michelle Larger Da Burrito I have to admit she's got fight and raw talent. She was really taking it to Serena and you could tell she wanted it BADLY. That fall at the end though. :o :haha:

safinforlife
she seems fine i guess. Congrats to Serena!! will she play tommorow?

tae04
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Serena actually didn't really play bad... Brito was going for her shots

frontier
a win is a win..she needed this type of match to wake her up...

safinforlife
That point in the third was amzing both players were scrambling and serena came up with the forehand down the line winner!!!

Brooklyn90
Great fight Serena :yeah:

Serenidad.
Serena actually didn't really play bad... Brito was going for her shots

Are you a member of George Bush's administration? :help:

daniel122292
That point that Serena one to go up 4-2 in the third was the best point all year

~Cherry*Blossom~
Congrats Serena :hug:

Started off slowly but managed to take control of the match in the second. Her returns started to improve near the end too.

Michelle has a lot of game! She is going to be big in the future. Very impressive.

Breakpoint for Serena at 3-2 to go up 4-2 had to be the point of the year. It was brilliant!

Good luck in the next round Serena :hug:

safinforlife
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Godd job to del burrito!! lots of talent. Myskinaish

tennnisfannn
Errorena was there for some time, then Winnerena put a foot in her mouth thankfully and won this tough match!
Awesome play from both players, with exceptional rallies but tons of erros from Serena also!
I am looking forward to streakerrena this summer.:D

RenaSlam.
Someone needs to upload this match/parts of it, please.

drake3781
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Did Michelle injure herself at the end?

She walked off the court without limping.

kwilliams
Phew!

Well done Serena...seems like it was convincing in the end, if she had such a turnaround.

Yeah, I think she will play tomorrow. I hope this match has helped/will help her to hone her game.

Wes_Wrestle
I don't think Brito twisted her ankle or anything; I think Serena's backhand was so powerful that she just fell flat trying to get it back in play. She might have stayed a bit longer on the ground for dramatics, and she was probably just extremely disappointed that she let the match slip away. We will see what she has to say. She's feisty.

Lulu.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Serena. :yeah:

A lot tougher than I though it would be. :unsure:

Onto the next round! :D

safinforlife
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM
del burrito sucks pigeon toes

starin
ohh shiznizz rest of the tour better watch out cuz Michelle Larcher de Burritto is Chipotle good. She's really fast, hits very hard, and can construct her points well although today I think she went for some ridiculously low percentage shots but good for her she has zero pressure so why not go for it.

Serena was sluggish, error prone ,and passive. basically how she almost always is at early rounds of a tournaments but credit to Burritto for taking it to Serena. But really she was lucky Serena was returning so poorly cuz all her 2nd serves are like slice serves right in the middle the box. I think the other girls might catch on to that eventually. but she was really dictating play and when Serena finally started moving a little faster they played some amazing points :eek:

:worship: Serena good for her to win that match.

:hug: Little Burritto. hurt her ankle in the last point. take some time off, rest the ankle, improve the serve, she doesn't want to burn out early a la Henin, Clijsters, etc. got a new fan in me unless she turns out to be a biatch.

Serenita
That was a great rally!!
i'll never forget that rally. wow can someone upload that shit?

backslapu
OMG, i have to see a vid of that point. Some1 plz UPLOAD!!!

What wuz Serena wearing??

hankqq
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM
de Brito is impressive with her groundies and movement, but her serve and volleys need quite a bit of work. She'll definitely drive some of the slower top players nuts though.

Serena's return was bad for large patches of the match, and she didn't start moving well until near the end of the 2nd set.

There were some really good points, but Serena is gonna have to pick up her play if she wants to win here.

tae04
Are you a member of George Bush's administration? :help:

LOL. Serena is playing her usual self as of late. She plays passive and defensive too much over the past few yrs.

aznunit2k5
And I hope this post gives you a one way ticket out of here :yeah:

Trust me, Brito is the one with a one way ticket out like Henin. :)

vettipooh
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Glad she pulled off the win. Her forehand was so off tonight. Needs some work. She let Michelle dictate most of the time, and she kept pushing Serena off her back foot. Michelle swung freely and accurately, and Serena was lucky for a few dfs on Michelle's serve. Sloppy match from Rena. Hope she ups her level or :scared:

Vincey!
Michelle totally lost that 2nd set by her own fault :lol:..anyway she's young :p...she proved she has the talent to be a treat to the best players this week :yeah:

frontier
She knows that if she had won the media atention in America will be on her as the next big thing.Serena has never lost to a teenager since 2004 I am sure she wants to maintain that status quo.

Josh.
Impressive from Michelle. :yeah:

Veronique
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Serena didn't play well at all. The 3rd set was a bit better, but Michelle was probably tired by then as well. She better up her game tomorrow or she'll be out. I still don't know why she's playing this soon after Wimbledon.

Serenita
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Well this was a great match anyone who taped it?need to see that point again!

blumaroo
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Too bad Michelle's serve sucks. If she can't improve on it much she should always have a first serve percentage of at least 70%.
She dominated most of the rallies today. Her forehand in particular was on fire and sent Serena running from side to side. Despite the 14 aces against her I wouldn't call her a bad returner. She probably figured it was better to guess at times with the risk of getting aced instead of just getting tons of unreturnable serves. Once she got her raquet on it she would hit some splendid shots. I didn't know she could move that well too. This is only the first time I've seen her (probably played above her level) but so far I think she's worth the hype. Firepower + movement + Bollitierri school should get her somewhere right?

Brooklyn90
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Well this was a great match anyone who taped it?need to see that point again!

I thought that Serena had lost that point like 3 times, but she moved soooo fast!!!

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Serena is a clutch player,she did the same thing to Zheng..put pressure on her

harloo
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Why does Serena get so comfortable in these matches? It's like she needs something to wake her up, kind of like she's bored with these simple girls.:lol:

Serena you need to focus from the first point. Many of these young players aren't afraid to challenge you. :lol:

vettipooh
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:21 AM
OMG, i have to see a vid of that point. Some1 plz UPLOAD!!!

What wuz Serena wearing??

Black and white outfit. Black skirt, white blouse..black socks, white sneaks.

tucker1989
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I'm sorry; I watched the entire match, and Serena did not play as badly as some of you are leading others to believe. First of all, Michelle played out of her mind for the first set and a half, matching, and often surpassing, Serena, stroke for stroke. How often does Serena smack shots that come back to her with interest? Not very often, and Michelle kept her on her back foot. When Serena started playing better at 2-0 in the second, she was playing very solid tennis, serving bombs, and running like I haven't seen her run in a while. Of course she will make some errors, but that is her game. She even hit a couple of nice volleys. Overall, I'd say it was a good opening match for her. Some of you need to get over yourselves. How do you expect her to play in her first hardcourt match of the year?

Also, although I think that Michelle is highly annoying, she certainly has some game. If she keeps improving, then the rest of the tour better watch out. That extended fall after the last point was a bit much, though.

starin
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Why does Serena get so comfortable in these matches? It's like she needs something to wake her up, kind of like she's bored with these simple girls.:lol:

Serena you need to focus from the first point. Many of these young players aren't afraid to challenge you. :lol:

I know seriously she didn't wake up until like 32 in the 3rd. I really hate how passive Serena is and how slow she's moving out there. I really hope she improves those two things. Cuz as good as Burritto was today if Serena had played like she should, not even her best like avg. for her she would've won in 1 tight and 1 easy set.

Derek.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Wow, Michelle. :eek:

Great fight. :hug:

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I'm sorry; I watched the entire match, and Serena did not play as badly as some of you are leading others to believe. First of all, Michelle played out of her mind for the first set and a half, matching, and often surpassing, Serena, stroke for stroke. How often does Serena smack shots that come back to her with interest? Not very often, and Michelle kept her on her back foot. When Serena started playing better at 2-0 in the second, she was playing very solid tennis, serving bombs, and running like I haven't seen her run in a while. Of course she will make some errors, but that is her game. She even hit a couple of nice volleys. Overall, I'd say it was a good opening match for her. Some of you need to get over yourselves. How do you expect her to play in her first hardcourt match of the year?

Also, although I think that Michelle is highly annoying, she certainly has some game. If she keeps improving, then the rest of the tour better watch out. That extended fall after the last point was a bit much, though.Michele wanted to make a name for herself tonight:rolleyes::tape:

Derek.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I wish I could have seen this. :sobbing:

mdterp01
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Well from what I've heard so far it seems like Serena had to get her act together but wasn't really in danger of losing this match. Good for her. I'm glad she is playing the US Open Series though but at some point she's going to need a week to just chill. Wimbledon, WTT, Stanford. Then I heard she's playing LA, Montreal, Olympics, and US Open. Oh hellz no....trust and believe if that schedule is true she will pull out of either LA or Montreal.

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Larcher de Brito demonstrated that she already possesses great skills and that the hype surrounding her is justified. She was moving Serena along the baseline with her ground strokes very well in general, was committing not too many errors, and occasionally was creating good angles. I didn't see her once approaching the net.

She didn't let Serena to overpower her, and the latter wasn't trying hard anyway. There were moments throughout the match that I was asking myself whether Serena was sufficiently focused. Despite the hype surrounding de Brito, Serena appeared not to be bothered at all by the potential danger. This was the passive Serena we know from early rounds against lower ranked players.

She was helping Michelle with her fair share of unforced errors, and the cavalier attitude on her serve in the 10th game of the first set cost Serena the set. A few times she was showing her true class like in a fantastic rally ending the 6th game in the last set. Serena's cushion of security were her 14 aces (against just 1 ace for de Brito) and, occasionally, return winners.

Not a single drop shot or a lob throughout the whole match. Serena approached the net maybe three times, and twice botched it. There was not much variety in the rallies that were very similar one to another.

After she netted the ball playing the matchpoint, de Brito hysterically threw herself to the ground -- Serena with understanding was just calmly waiting until the girl gets up.

Zoeki
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Well from what I've heard so far it seems like Serena had to get her act together but wasn't really in danger of losing this match. Good for her. I'm glad she is playing the US Open Series though but at some point she's going to need a week to just chill. Wimbledon, WTT, Stanford. Then I heard she's playing LA, Montreal, Olympics, and US Open. Oh hellz no....trust and believe if that schedule is true she will pull out of either LA or Montreal.

Serena can't wait to be the NO.1.:)

supergrunt
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Those first few games were really bad. :unsure: but that one point was good! :D

darrinbaker00
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Phew!

Well done Serena...seems like it was convincing in the end, if she had such a turnaround.

Yeah, I think she will play tomorrow. I hope this match has helped/will help her to hone her game.
Serena's next match is Friday evening, my friend.

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM
She will be no.1 when everything is said and done.I think she will be seeded within the top four when the Open starts because the top four have a lot to defend.

dylan24
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
about time someone put burrito in her place.
can't stand her.
good job serena
from the pics of the match, looks like burrito is an annoying fist pumper like AI

kris719
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:12 AM
damn, she almost lost

Mikey.
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Wow surprising result :eek:

Harvs
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:06 AM
great stuff from michelle... shows she has the talent to be a grand slam champ:)

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:08 AM
:eek: Serena
A win is a win anyway.:)

Dodoboy.
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Oh well done Michelle!

She did herself good!

14 aces Serena :cool: At least i can be sure the serve is still working!

We need to make these matches shorter! You have quite a schedule!

Dodoboy.
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Larcher de Brito demonstrated that she already possesses great skills and that the hype surrounding her is justified. She was moving Serena along the baseline with her ground strokes very well in general, was committing not too many errors, and occasionally was creating good angles. I didn't see her once approaching the net.

She didn't let Serena to overpower her, and the latter wasn't trying hard anyway. There were moments throughout the match that I was asking myself whether Serena was sufficiently focused. Despite the hype surrounding de Brito, Serena appeared not to be bothered at all by the potential danger.

She was helping Michelle with her fair share of unforced errors, and the cavalier attitude on her serve in the 10th game of the first set cost Serena the set. A few times she was showing her true class like in a fantastic rally ending the 6th game in the last set. Serena's cushion of security were her 14 aces (against just 1 ace for de Brito) and, occasionally, return winners.

Not a single drop shot or a lob throughout the whole match. Serena approached the net maybe three times, and twice botched it. There was not much variety in the rallies that were very similar one to another.

After she netted the ball playing the matchpoint, de Brito hysterically fell to the ground -- Serena with understanding was just calmly waiting until the girl gets up.

Thank you :)

darkangel23
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Very impressive from Michelle! :)

Dodoboy.
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20080717/all/l3289848.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20080717/all/l3289813.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080717/04/1981570522.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/p5/20080717/05/3772276.jpg

young_gunner913
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Damnit. I take a little nap and I miss so-called the best point of the year. :sobbing: Someone should upload it or something. :)

Anyways... Congrats Serena. :hug:

Wolverines08
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I enjoyed every minute of this match...my only thing to Rena is that she's got to stick those groundies because if she plays Alisa K, then those balls are going to be coming by her one by one and Serena at her best doesn't allow herself to be pushed around.

starin
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Oh well done Michelle!

She did herself good!

14 aces Serena :cool: At least i can be sure the serve is still working!

We need to make these matches shorter! You have quite a schedule!

2nd serve was attackable today. not enough kick and was kinda short in the middle of the box.

Nederlander RUS
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Michelle, nice effort :hug:

OZTENNIS
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Simply amazing :worship:
For a 15 year old girl to be challenging one of the GOATs

Well done :)

skanky~skanketta
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:01 AM
why so much hate for michelle? did she do or say anything? cuz there's not even that much hype about her.

young_gunner913
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
why so much hate for michelle? did she do or say anything? cuz there's not even that much hype about her.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=13641798&postcount=154 :)

starin
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:12 AM

there's a lot. well i've heard a lot and i don't follow juniors or young player closely at all.

Rui.
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Great effort Michelle :D

Donatello
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Serena is now 32/4 up this year, better than '04 and way better than last year... Maria is 2nd best with 31/4.

As long as Serena doesnt pretire before tourney's, then mentally it's alright.

Renalicious
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Errrr... :unsure: Not sure what to think of it really...

What was she wearing...how did she play...was she tired...?

Ohwell a win is a win, please keep winning. :)

Vaidisova Ruled
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
can someone upload that match?

Raalbra
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well done Michelle! :worship::worship:
Hopefully, next time you'll be able to beat Serena.

LCS
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Michelle :worship: :worship: :worship:

Serena?

Markus
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Great result for Michelle, it's actually good that she didn't win the match. Otherwise she could have gone mad about this win. The hype on this board would have been out of control :lol:. Now Michelle knows that she is able to become a great player but there is still a lot of work to be done!

On a side note, congrats Serena!:yeah:

Shimizu Amon
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Oh my Lordy, didn't expect for Serena to have a tough match like this.

Elwin.
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Serena :scared: :yeah:

jonny84
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Good that Michelle took a set of Serena. But Serena was always going to win.

LightWarrior
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM
14 aces and just 1 DF ?? So what was it so hard for Serena against a qualifier ?

Nemo_Kool
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
im happy about the result actually because serena had to work HARD for it, it seems...and i think this match will help her confidence alot because she came from a set and a break behind to win...

Adal
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Didn't really expect so much fight from Michelle :eek: I need watch that match :) Was the grunting really loud?

adrovi
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Great match Michelle ;);)

frontier
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Serena must have be tired from a marathon schedule,winning doubles and reaching finals in singles at wimbledon,playing WTT criss crossing from London,Paris,DC and now California.I give the girl credit for trying to upstage Serena in California and make a name for herself but champions pull through even when they seem beaten.I can imagine the buzz on this board if she had actually won....unfortunately after 2004 she will never allow herself to give another teen a career.:p

Marcelo.
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Michelle:eek::hug:
Serena :yeah:
I would love to see some videos of the match:)Did they talk at the net?Serena said something or no?

joćo.
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Michelle, very nice :D

The Daviator
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Michelle :eek: Great effort :yeah:

Serena :cool:

Effy
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Michelle took a set from bitchrena? :drool: well done, baby girl :)

дalex
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Rena :hearts: :drool:
Win the title!

It seems Michelle's got some talent to take a set off QueenRena...:yeah:

ce
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
well done Rena
win it all :hearts:

Highlandman
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Wow, not expected 3 sets. Nice fight back from Serena ! :)

Good luck in next round :D

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM

It's all about her l'enfant terrible behavior (fits of anger, displays of hysteria, throwing herself to the ground, smashing her racket, and last but not least, her ear-splitting grunt).

After watching her yesterday against Serena I must say I was really wishing in the end that there is one brave man working with her who would tell her: Listen, Michelle, you are now playing adult tennis. You must behave like an adult person.

The girl has already so much skill. It would be really shame if she mars it with this type of behavior.

Michelle:eek::hug:
Serena :yeah:
I would love to see some videos of the match:)Did they talk at the net?Serena said something or no?

They didn't because Michelle didn't even get there -- she chose instead to throw herself to the ground. Serena patiently waited for the girl to get up and eventually came to her opponent's side of the court to shake her hand.

14 aces and just 1 DF ?? So what was it so hard for Serena against a qualifier ?

You'll find the answer in some of the match analyses in this thread.

Slumpsova
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Beautifulrena :D

hugo2004
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Congratulations Michelle!! What a great match. I always knew she could go there and win the match. The serve and the fact that she played 5 matches in a row didn´t let her win. She is so young in a great form, i believe she can make it to the top 100 this year.

Sylvester
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
After watching her yesterday against Serena I must say I was really wishing in the end that there is one brave man working with her who would tell her: Listen, Michelle, you are now playing adult tennis. You must behave like an adult person.

She's 15 years old for God sake. You can't expect a 15 years old girl to be as mature as veterans like Davenport, Mauresmo or Venus. Obviously her behavior could be a little better, but I've seen worse for people 10 years older than her...

All that anger and charismatic actions just shows how passionate she is for tennis. That's why she is capable of winning some really close matches (beating a veteran Dulko by 7-5 7-6) and making unbelievable comebacks. This is also what will make her a champion and not just a good player.

Have you seen how she is 15 and she's not afraid of any player in the circuit? She faced the active player with most Grand Slams and she didn't have any complex of inferiority. She didn't shit her pants, as most talented young girls would do.

That's why she remembers me Serena in her mental attitude. She never gives up and she is capable of winning close matches against players she should fear. Wasn't that the reason why Serena got to the Top so early on her career?

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
A match analysis from the tournament's official site

Serena Williams, the tournament’s top seed and the No. 5 ranked player in the world, shook off a sluggish first set and stormed back to defeat pesky qualifier Michelle Larcher de Brito 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 before a crowd of 2628 on the third night of competition at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.

Playing in her first match since falling to sister Venus just weeks ago at Wimbledon, Williams drew an unknown qualifier in Larcher de Brito for her first round match following a bye. However, the 15-year-old from Portugal pleased the crowd with the same non-stop hustle and powerful groundstrokes that helped her win three qualifying matches before defeating Gisela Dulko in the main draw on Tuesday afternoon.

Williams looked out of sync early, with Larcher de Brito taking the first set 6-4. Trailing 2-0 in the second set, Williams took control and eventually won 12 of the next 15 games to avoid what would have been an unthinkable result.

Williams ripped off 14 trademark aces (10 of those coming in the final two sets) while Larcher de Brito- who was playing for the fifth straight day- tallied six double-faults.

“It was definitely encouraging to know I can bounce back,” said Williams. “I haven’t been down a set in awhile. That’s the type of practice I need and the type of things I need to work on going forward.”

“I started really well and I played pretty good throughout the whole match, but I kind of slowed down a little bit because I came through the qualifiers a little tired,” explained Larcher de Brito. “She played such a great game, she is Serena Williams. I gave it all because I had nothing to lose.”

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM
She's 15 years old for God sake. You can't expect a 15 years old girl

No. I don't agree. Such a behavior is not even acceptable in a 5 year old. You do something about it, you talk to the child, you take the child to see a psychologist.

Secondly, if she is allowed to play professional tennis, she is expected to behave like a professional. If she can't, this means it is too early for her to become a pro.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
“It was definitely encouraging to know I can bounce back,” said Williams. “I haven’t been down a set in awhile. That’s the type of practice I need and the type of things I need to work on going forward.”
:unsure: :scratch:

You were down a set in your last match :lol: where was that fight THEN? :lol:

DelusionalRena :hearts:
__________________________________________________ _____________

STAT OF THE MATCH (for me, at least)
80% (8/10) BP CONVERSION :drool:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
damn, 14 aces.

win this girl. work hard!

Marshmallow
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Any clips anywhere?

I knew this would be a tricky match, am just Glad Serena got through. She is still looking good for the title. Keep it up Rena :bounce:

moby
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
No. I don't agree. Such a behavior is not even acceptable in a 5 year old. You do something about it, you talk to the child, you take the child to see a psychologist.Ridiculous. You don't seriously recommend bringing a 5 year old to the psychologist over a few tantrums, do you?

I saw that clip of Michelle playing on clay, and saw nothing to suggest that her occasional bouts of self-flagellation are affecting her game negatively.

Besides, she may grow up yet. Federer and Borg, probably the two players we have come to associate most with the cool/icy demeanor, were notorious for violent outbursts in their youth.

Michelle sounds like she'll be a great player for the future. Looking forward to clips of this match.

tennnisfannn
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
:unsure: :scratch:

You were down a set in your last match :lol: where was that fight THEN? :lol:

DelusionalRena :hearts:
__________________________________________________ _____________

STAT OF THE MATCH (for me, at least)
80% (8/10) BP CONVERSION :drool:
The Venus Rosewater Dish is sitting beside another 6 dishes in her lounge room, you cannot blame Serena for thinking she won it two weeks ago:lol::lol::lol:

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ridiculous. You don't seriously recommend bringing a 5 year old to the psychologist over a few tantrums, do you?

First, I recommend you not to take my quotes out of their context. Second, not over a few tantrums. Third, this is normal practice.

Feliciano
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
No. I don't agree. Such a behavior is not even acceptable in a 5 year old. You do something about it, you talk to the child, you take the child to see a psychologist.

Secondly, if she is allowed to play professional tennis, she is expected to behave like a professional. If she can't, this means it is too early for her to become a pro.

:banghead:It is a obsession? See you a psychologist:devil:
:yeah:Good match. Congrats to Michelle and Serena:hatoff:

moby
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
First, I recommend you not to take my quotes out of their context. Second, not over a few tantrums. Third, this is normal practice.Firstly, I fail to see how I've taken your quotes out of context. You made a statement about 5 year olds and bad behaviour and psychologists which I thought was ludicrous, and thus commented on. Secondly, from what I've seen, her tantrums are neither terminally excessive nor particularly violent. Perhaps she was very ill-behaved in this match; I await the clips. Thirdly, where I come from (and hopefully, where most people come from), this is not normal practice at all.

RND
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Michelle strokes remind me of Myskina and Mirza's. She is quick to.
Definitely Mirza-like in terms of groundies,plus Paszek-like in point constructing!

Great match!I watched the last two sets and my first time watching Larcher.This girl was playing like a top 20!I was impressed.But yes,she shouldn't have that much of a temper,if she could fix that,I see her constantly being in the top 15 maybe top 10 in the future.

RenaSlam.
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Someone please upload parts/if not the whole match!

aguy9797
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
people, give her a break...she is a child

Venus Forever
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Great fight Serena!! :D

Michelle :eek:

Can't wait to see what her game is like.

Il Primo!
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Lol at peeps talking like Serena was on the verge of losing :rolls:

OK, she lost the first set but then she regrouped and cruised :)

Win that title Ree.

ladydiana
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a great match. Serena is just coming off from Wimbledon and she's no doubt tired. These two week tournaments takes a lot out of a player. And she played doubles as well and she been flying all over the country from France, England, etc.

This was her first match and it wasn't suppose to be a blow out. When these other girls walk on to the courts against the Williams sisters, they come out firing because they know that's their only chance to hang in there.

Serena is a veteran player and she knew when to pick up her game to win the match.

cn ireland
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
This was a much closer match than I expected. I'm glad to see that Michelle really pushed Serena, which looks positive for her future:)!

RenaSlam.
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Lol at peeps talking like Serena was on the verge of losing :rolls:

OK, she lost the first set but then she regrouped and cruised :)

Win that title Ree.

Tell me about it. The way some "die-hard" Serena fans were talking, they had already given up on her halfway through the second set.

Pathetic fans.

Destiny
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Bloody hell woman!!!!111!!!!111!!!!!

hope she gets better

:scartch:

watchdogfish
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM

You what?! :lol:
She's 15 years old. All teenagers go through mood swings, tantrums, whatever. It's all part of growing up, something to do with the brain developing.

If she's still throwing tantrums when she's say 20 then perhaps her coach should say something but for now I think her moodiness is excusable. And to be honest with you, she no worse than any of the other moody or grunting pros out there.

Also, looking at Michelle results so far on the tour and ITF circuit they are very impressive for a 15 year old, she doesn't seem overwhelmed. So in my opinion it's not fair to hold back someone who's obviously got a mature enough game to compete just because she's going through what every teenager goes through at some point :shrug:.

But yeah, Serena was always going to win this match but it's great that Michelle made her fight for it! :yeah:

sweetpeas
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
She played such a great game, she is Serena Williams. I gave it all because I had nothing to lose.”

That child has more common sense of Serena! she is Serena Williams.that some here!Thanks Michelle...Your"ll my new wta star**********Take care:wavey::wavey:...Wish you all the best!

sweetpeas
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She played such a great game, she is Serena Williams. I gave it all because I had nothing to lose.”

That child has more common sense of Serena! she is Serena Williams.then some of us here!Thanks Michelle...Your"ll my new wta star**********Take care...Wish you all the best!

harloo
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
It's all about her l'enfant terrible behavior (fits of anger, displays of hysteria, throwing herself to the ground, smashing her racket, and last but not least, her ear-splitting grunt).

The girl has already so much skill. It would be really shame if she mars it with this type of behavior.

They didn't because Michelle didn't even get there -- she chose instead to throw herself to the ground. Serena patiently waited for the girl to get up and eventually came to her opponent's side of the court to shake her hand.

You'll find the answer in some of the match analyses in this thread.

Serena knows what it's like to be a teen and want to win. I'll give the young lady a pass right now. She's only acting her age and it's good to see her really invested into her tennis at this point. Eventually with maturity she'll be able to control her emotions on court.

Serenita
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah the girl has game!
Serena did what she needed do, to get the win.

Anyone has a video for the best point of the match/year?

Monica_Rules
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Wow did expect Michelle to take a set. I am looking forward to seeing her play soon see what the hype is about.

LCS
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Anastasia Rodionova?

Stop the hating on Michelle :rolleyes:

Bounty Hunter
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
OMG...talk about scare from Serena:eek::eek::eek:
pulled it around in 2nd set

had 14 aces only 1 df

LET"S GOOOOOOO SERENA!!!

Dude, you stole my avatar :fiery::fiery:

This was a special avatar from Craig to me :D

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
:banana:

Go with your anger problems to other side , Michelle :wavey:

Corswandt
Jul 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM

[nitpicking mode]

You're not using enfant terrible in its proper, stricter sense here.

[/nitpicking mode]