PDA

View Full Version : Stanford R2: (2) Anna Chakvetadze def. Shahar Peer 6-3 6-4

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Solid match from Anna :D

She was placing her serve really well with 6 aces, despite a somewhat poor 1st serve %. I see why she has no problems with retreivers because she's just so patient from the baseline and knows when to sneek into net to finish with a volley. I think she's working her way out of this slump slowly but surely. Good luck in the QF :kiss:

I really don't like the way Peer plays....:o pusher :shrug:

Lulu.
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Anna. :yeah:

Peer is annoying. :o

Vespertine69
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Nice solid win for Anna, in a match she dominated one way or another... some horrible missed put-away shots and oddly bad timing off the backhand wing aside, she dictated Peer well in most of the rallies.

itzhak
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It was horrible match from both. Anna was OK in relation to her 2008 form but she was helped by very very poor day of Shahar, she made so many mistakes, she was nervous and not calm at all.

goldenlox
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Anna does well against Shahar. No surprise today

Corswandt
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Saw the 2nd set.

Chak was erratic and a bit out of it for most of the set, netting returns of serve, missing easy putaways and being often caught out of position. Bossed Peer around at will, but who doesn't. Plus hitting through Peer from behind the baseline, even in this ultrafast hardcourt, is never easy.

Excellent serving allowed Chak to stay on the set while she was making 3 errors in a row in Peer's service games. BTW when did Chak learn to hit sidewinders to the ad court? She began stringing a few good shots together on Peer's last two service games and eventually got the break she needed. Steps in to serve for the set, bit shaky, but held in the end by hitting into Peer's loopy FH. Peer can only moonball from her FH side nowadays. Her FH was always her weaker side, and it was pathetically bad earlier this season, but it's still useless.

Peer doesn't have much to hurt Chak with, so even in rallies Chak was usually safe unless she went for too much - which she did most of the time. :o

Vespertine69
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
It wasn't such a bad match for Anna today... she had some big problems with put-away shots and lost her timing pretty badly off the backhand, but her forehand was working nicely and really hurting Peer. Unfortunately for Shahar, she just played some bad crap on some key points, her perseverance and retrieving had earned her a good number of opportunities, she just failed to capitalise.

Hopefully Shahar will be back on her way up post-Wimbledon... people give her so little credit as a player, and while I don't really enjoy her game, she's quietly impressive when she's in her groove.

thegreendestiny
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
i hope she reaches the finals so she could settle a real score with serena and not a just a retirement.

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
yay well done anna loves it! that was pretty good from anna, a few too many errors to be vintage but alot better than most of this year. she totaly controled the centre of the court and peer was on a string most points. anna just looks so comfortable on the american hardcourts, changing direction of the ball constructing points and finish points off with drive volleys or DTL winners.

i knew i was right to be confident with this match!

good luck in your doubles now anna!

Lunaris
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Long gone are the days when certain posters kept saying that Chakvetadze wins due to high % play, even though it wasn't exactly true even then. Now she is ultra aggressive, Gus Hansen of women's tennis. Peer just couldn't handle it, her forehand is, not sure how to put it, an upkeep shot, short and slow, and gave Chak a plenty of time to hit her own far more dangerous forehand. Anna still has some issues with footwork and positioning and was missing quite often, but combined with very good serving it was still enough to overcome Peer's defensive play. Peer should have kept bigger depth to beat Anna, but that's something she doesn't seem to be able to do, especially from her forehand wing.

nizelegz
When did Anna become the #1 seed?

ninanina19
Anna :yeah: .

tobi
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well done Anna :)

Reports doesnt seem too promising but a win against Peer is good at anytime.I will take it.

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
When did Anna become the #1 seed?

shes #1 favourite in all our hearts :p

Corswandt
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Long gone are the days when certain posters kept saying that Chakvetadze wins due to high % play

Are you sure? When I say that Chak actually plays a low % game - it's only the immaculate way she sometimes pulled it off that made it seem risk-free and effortless - people still shake their heads.

Peer's FH vanished in January IIRC. The way she's hitting it now is actually a massive improvement from earlier in the season.

Excellent report BTW.

AcesHigh
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Congrats Anna.

Peer, don't know what to say. Anna is the better player and probably always will be but you need to beef up your game.

Slutiana
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM
(1)??

sammy01
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Well done Anna :)

Reports doesnt seem too promising but a win against Peer is good at anytime.I will take it.

i think people are being a little harsh on the performance, peer is playing defensive tennis and looking to draw errors so obviously anna was going to make a few as the match was totaly on her racket. anna did try to pull the trigger too early but it must be very tempting to do that against peer, for her 1st match on hardcourts in like 3 months it was good enough!

smokovec
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I agree with most of the comments, Anna plays a decent Match, she hits maybe too many stupid and fast errors, but these courts are very good for the type of game she play.

Lunaris
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Are you sure? When I say that Chak actually plays a low % game - it's only the immaculate way she sometimes pulled it off that made it seem risk-free and effortless - people still shake their heads.

Peer's FH vanished in January IIRC. The way she's hitting it now is actually a massive improvement from earlier in the season.

Excellent report BTW.
I think there is a lot of risk in her game, at least today it was. Quite often she hit crazy dtl shots when being behing the baseline and they all landed in. Mainly in the 1st set. She lost her 1st service game in the match, but then went on to win 4 games in a row in which she absolutely demolished Peer by hitting hard flat shots close to the lines.

Brooklyn90
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:59 PM
She's not #1 seed

Lulu.
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:00 PM
She's not #1 seed

Right. :lol:

smokovec
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
She lost her 1st service game in the match, but then went on to win 4 games in a row in which she absolutely demolished Peer by hitting hard flat shots close to the lines.

Anna makes 3 DFs in the first game, then plays the best part of the Match in the 4 next games, before start to make a lot of errors that keep Peer in the Match.

Pink Princess
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Anna:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

jonny84
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Good win for Anna. She is defending champion after all so this result comes as no surprise.

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Some people care too much about a typo (coincidentally the real #1 seed's fan known for being defensive :tape: :o ) .

Sorry, I was looking at Anna's draw last year and I guess it was still on my mind and I wrote #1 without thinking. :o

goldenlox
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Anna is the #2 seed and defending champion.

Vespertine69
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Long gone are the days when certain posters kept saying that Chakvetadze wins due to high % play, even though it wasn't exactly true even then. Now she is ultra aggressive, Gus Hansen of women's tennis. Peer just couldn't handle it, her forehand is, not sure how to put it, an upkeep shot, short and slow, and gave Chak a plenty of time to hit her own far more dangerous forehand. Anna still has some issues with footwork and positioning and was missing quite often, but combined with very good serving it was still enough to overcome Peer's defensive play. Peer should have kept bigger depth to beat Anna, but that's something she doesn't seem to be able to do, especially from her forehand wing.

Excellent point, Lunaris - this is something that surprisingly few people notice... Anna has undergone a pretty strong transformation in terms of her level of aggression (although she was never the defensive "pusher" that people who only value pure muscular power liked to make out) - she is massively more aggressive with both her serve and her forehand than she was when I first saw her playing. I see why she moved in that direction (she has spoken about it in interviews here and there) in order to try to push her game to be more dangerous and more threatening, but for now she has a lot of teething problems trying to play that way... too many DF's and way too many UE's as she struggles to contain the new levels of aggression. However, I think it's actually a smart move in the long term... whether or not she can achieve consistency with this new level of aggression is unclear, but I like the fact that she's smart enough to realise that beefing her game up is crucial if she wants to push beyond the 5-15 bridesmaid territory. I'll still be a fan whatever, but I hope Anna can make the improvements she is capable of.

thegreendestiny
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM
i hope Anna plays smarter again in the coming days. she became lazy in building points lately.

C'mon prove why I'm still rooting for you!! :bounce:

Noctis
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Chaky is back so time to lose ppl :)

goldenlox
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Anna saved match points against Dubois in round 1 of Wimbledon.
This had to be better than that. This is Anna's favorite surface, so if she pulls things together, it's going to be this summer.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
A good day in the sport when Peer is eliminated

GL in next round Anna

frenchie
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Nice match from Anna:worship:

She was being very agressive today!
I thought this was the reason her game is a mess this year. She has changed her game a lot recently, trying to hit harder, taking more risks...

To me, this was the reason for her slump. She lost what made her a strong player : consistency, placement and angles

But if she can combine both:drool:

TennisPlayingFox
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Very nice job Anna! Good luck in the quarters!

Vincey!
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Good win Chakky :hearts: She played well ;)

3Dcool
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
What do you guys have to say about this match?
It was kinda the two of the girls who doesn't really succeed this year and play using like half of their real abilities..
I was pretty sure Peer can do it and I was wrong.
Chakvetadze was a little bit more stable during the match.

It will be interesting to watch her against Bartoli if the 2nd wins her next match (:

So Disrespectful
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Anna is slowly improving.

Sharapowerr
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Good win Anna, defend your titl';)

Wojtek
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
another easy draw for Anna in tier 2 :rolleyes:

adrovi
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Good win Anna :bounce:

WorldNo1
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM
another easy draw for Anna in tier 2 :rolleyes:

Easy draw? Peer was the most difficult R2 opponent possible in that draw.

Wojtek
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Easy draw? Peer was the most difficult R2 opponent possible in that draw.

On paper. Cibulkova would be tougher.

Her part of the draw is joke.

sammy01
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
On paper. Cibulkova would be tougher.

Her part of the draw is joke.

right cus bartoli has got anne 2r who has never been in the top 80, serena played a 15 year old who has never been top 200, another of the 2r's is wozniak vs bammer, and you think anna playing peer former top 15 current top 30 was the easiest draw, this is where a persons blind hate for a player makes them spout total shit! :rolleyes: