PDA

View Full Version : how come Panama and Costa Rica have no players on WTA Tour?

Slumpsova
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
even Cuba and Puerto Rico manage to have a few of them :confused:

Tripp
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
They just don't, like many other countries. Tennis is not a popular sport at all in some places. It's even seen as elitist.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
They prefer baseball (Panama) and football (Costa Rica)

Shakira4000
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
They are poor.

jonny84
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Popularity. And if its not popular then there won't be tennis academies or funding for promising players like so many other countries who plough money into it.

drake3781
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Not sure about Panama, but for sure in Costa Rica it's so hard to get around that country because of the condition of the roads, even the main highway.

The only place where players could really practice/play is in San Jose, and there really aren't many courts there, and it's a pretty small city population-wise - comparatively - with other world capitals.

Puerto Rico is much, much more developed.

Slumpsova
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Not sure about Panama, but for sure in Costa Rica it's so hard to get around that country because of the condition of the roads, even the main highway.

The only place where players could really practice/play is in San Jose, and there really aren't many courts there, and it's a pretty small city population-wise - comparatively - with other world capitals.

i heard there is a player from El Salvador. isn't this country poorer than Costa Rica? :confused:

Willam
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
They are poor.

:haha: They're not poor at all.

Willam
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Panama is much, much more developed than PR.

Shakira4000
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
:haha: They're not poor at all.

Yes they are.

germex
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I think that in Central America and the Caribean, having a WTA career depends on efforts by individuals. There is not promotion made by the Tennis Association of the country. That is why, you see some countries with a few WTA players and some others with none.
In some of the cases, when you see a player from Guatemala, El Salvador, Jamaica they have lived or studied in the USA or Europe and thats where they develop their skills.
I think a lot of this also applies to Mexico and some South American countries, the only difference is that they have more population and a little bit more infrastructure.

Slumpsova
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I think that in Central America and the Caribean, having a WTA career depends on efforts by individuals. There is not promotion made by the Tennis Association of the country. That is why, you see some countries with a few WTA players and some others with none.
In some of the cases, when you see a player from Guatemala, El Salvador, Jamaica they have lived or studied in the USA or Europe and thats where they develop their skills.
I think a lot of this also applies to Mexico and some South American countries, the only difference is that they have more population and a little bit more infrastructure.
thanks ;)

frenchie
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:46 PM
are there players from Afghanistan?

!Gio!
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Yes they are.

Umgh as a person who has grown up in Costa Rica and spent most of my teens there. I have to say you do not know what you are talking about Costa Rica is known as the Switzerland of Latin America for its peaceul ways and stable economy. It is not poor at all and there is a really large middle and high class, infact A lot of Cubans, Nicas, Columbians, Venezuelans, etc. go for work in Costa Rica. There is also a lot of private colleges like British, Pan American, St Paul,the European, the German, Blue valley, St. Mary etc. Education is better than the USA in many ways(IMO and I have studied in both in the IB program) and the IB and NB programs are available and I have friends who have after gone on to study in Oxford, NYU, UCLA and even Harvard.
The university of Costa Rica (UCR) is one of the best in latin America with 20000 and more students and in the 1000 best universities in the world with also many other universities like Una in Heredia and Tech in Cartago.

The Province of San Jose is made up of many cantons(towns) with most living in Escazu, Pavas, Santana(many discos to go out and not dangerous at all). It has a population of 1,500,000. Not that small.
close to San Jose(20 minutes at most) is Heredia 400,000 people, which is beautiful and in the mountains.
On the beach there is the Carribean sea, Pacific and Atlantic.
There is Limon with roughy 400,000.
Puntarenas with 360,000 and one of the most beautiful places in the world Guanacaste with 270,000.
Also Alajuela 720,000 and Cartago 440,000.
In the List of countries by Human Development Index Costa Rica is 4th in all Latin America slightly below Argentina, Chile and Uruguay.
In the Environmental Performance Index Costa Rica is 5th in the world, after Switzerland, Norway, Finland and Sweden.
In the Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report, Costa Rica is 1st in Latin America.
Highly advanced health care, education, medicine and a great political relationship internationally, Costa Rica is one of the best places in the world to raise your children.
Don´t get me started on how beautiful it is.

By the way in Costa Rica tennis is a very popular sport. Futbol is ofcorse the most popular by far.
And Juan Antonio Marín was a former solid top 60 player on the ATP.
In Wta there just has not been much luck and the popularity of the sport is quite new. However there are now quite a few tennis clubs in Costa Rica with the Country Club and Cariari being the most famous and by the way, the facility is amazing at the Country Club. Many young kids can be seen practising there, its in Escazu where I grew up, which is the European town.
Rafael Nadal is currently the most popular tennis player in Costa Rica where some 80 percent are of Spanish descent.
Here is the club.
http://www.andresz.com/REAL%20ESTATE/VARIAS/RENTALS/MVC-024S.JPG

In the future please know what you are talking about before posting trash.:rolleyes:
Some people really say some ignorant stuff without knowing anything.:help:

darrinbaker00
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
How come Panama and Costa Rica have no players on the WTA Tour? Because no one in those countries is good enough, that's how come. Next topic, please.

Harvs
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
they jsut dont:confused:?

Jakeev
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:57 AM
...;13639032']they jsut dont:confused:?

Panama has actually been playing at least FedCup on and off the past 11 years and back in April they went 1-2 in match play. Costa Rica stopped playing in 2003.

As for what these players do out of FedCup I have no idea as I can't find results for them.

Slumpsova
Jul 17th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Panama has actually been playing at least FedCup on and off the past 11 years and back in April they went 1-2 in match play. Costa Rica stopped playing in 2003.

As for what these players do out of FedCup I have no idea as I can't find results for them.
what are their names? :)

Malva
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Why they should?

They just don't, like many other countries. Tennis is not a popular sport at all in some places. It's even seen as elitist.

Exactly.

polishprodigy
Jul 17th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Costa Rica did have a good mens player, Juan Antonio Marin.

Jakeev
Jul 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
what are their names? :)

Panama's best player was a girl named Anabelle Espinosa-Rodriguez who looks to actually have had a winning record in singles in doubles. This year, the top player was Elizebeth Tapia and I think it was her first FedCup. Costa Rica's best player was Paula Umana who played FedCup from 92-00.

njnetswill
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Most of the world's countries do not have any ranked WTA players. Even very wealthy countries like Denmark have extrememly few.

Jakeev
Jul 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Most of the world's countries do not have any ranked WTA players. Even very wealthy countries like Denmark have extrememly few.
Very true but at least with Denmark and Sweden when one player retires another still seems to be coming along. Be pretty interesting if we see more players from Denmark if Caroline Wozniaki becomes a major force in the game. Already I think she has done better in this year than a Danish woman as ever done in any tennis season.

Archer16
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
On a quick count, 73 out of 200 (not counting the former SCG, did count Zimbabwe who do not have a rated player in singles - I don't think there are many other cases like this one).
A handful of South American or North African countries have just one or two players, if any.

wales1994
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Panama has Elizabeth Tapia still only 16 :)

kinseh
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Unfortunately. :sad:

But at least we have Caro!